SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Expired Challenges > Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read 2017
Duration: July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017

Did it suck you in and leave you breathless for more? Or leave a hole in the wall after you chucked the sucker across the room? Join us as we check out and share our favorite, and not-so-favorite, new series!

*Read 12 books that are the first novel in a new-to-you series.

*Read one book per calendar month (that means, can't read and count 3 new ones in ONE month...)

*Make a MAIN post. This is for your full year list. Please UPDATE this list, not re-post it! Thanks!

*Post monthly updates (new posts, please!) on your great/not-so-great "first" read.

*Prequels, "half numbers" (i.e. 0.5 by GR numbering) and anthologies are not allowed; they're just appetizers, not the "first course"!

For MONTHLY updates, include the following:

**Blatantly stole borrowed Steph's & Lethal Lovely's new series write-ups~THANKS!....If you haven't peeked, pop on over to the members' threads to check them out! **Warning, do not read when consuming liquids~LL's especially~unless your PC is insured...**

COVER (#)

Title/Author:
Series:
Read: (Date)
Rating: ★★★★★ / ★★★★✩ / ★★★✩✩ / ★★✩✩✩
First time author?
To-Be-Continued?
Review: (Just a sentence or so of what you thought about it!)

Also Read: (feel free to add other firsts you enjoyed each month with ratings, etc. optional)

message 2: by Sam (last edited Jul 02, 2017 06:36PM) (new)

Sam | 1012 comments I've been waiting for this one to reset. I have lots of first in series to try out this year.

July: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley- 7/13/16
August: Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur- 8/5/16
September: My Familiar Stranger by Victoria Danann- 9/8/16
October: Soulless by Gail Carriger- 10/1/16
November: A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet- 11/19/16
December: Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine- 12/14/16
January: Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn- 1/5/17
February: Cinder by Marissa Meyer- 2/12/17
March: Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch- 3/1/17
April: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater- 4/3/17
May: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa- 5/5/17
June: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin- 6/5/17

Also read:
July: Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1) by Kay Hooper The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) by Fred Saberhagen Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1) by L.K. Rigel Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1) by Roger Zelazny Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1) by C. Gockel The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1) by Holly Black Lightbringer (Lightbringer, #1) by K.D. McEntire The Novice (Summoner, #1) by Taran Matharu The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost
August: Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells
September: X in Flight (XYZ, #1) by Karen Rivers The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1) by Melissa F. Olson Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
October: License to Ensorcell (Nola O'Grady, #1) by Katharine Kerr You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1) by Katie MacAlister Elizabeth's Legacy (Royal Institute of Magic, #1) by Victor Kloss Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
November: MindSighted (BlackWing Pirates, #1) by Connie Suttle The Flame of Olympus (Pegasus, #1) by Kate O'Hearn Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel Jordan Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk A Quick Bite (Argeneau #1) by Lynsay Sands
December: Welcoming Seas (Rowan Gray #1) by Lily Harper Hart Conjuring Quantico (The Federal Witch Book 1) by T.S. Paul Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1) by Devyn Quinn A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
January: Bastien (Hidden Breeds, #1) by Tianna Xander Nightfall Gardens (Nightfall Gardens, #1) by Allen Houston Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Spark (Hailey Holloway, #1) by K.C. Stewart Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Unhidden (The Gatekeeper Chronicles, #1) by Dina Given Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh Code Black (Paranormal Crimes Division, #1) by Tina Moss
February: Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) by Richard Paul Evans
March: Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1) by J.A. Saare Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1) by Suzanne Wright What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie The Vault of Mysteries Marshyl Stories Book I by Toby Neighbors King Hall (Forever Evermore, #1) by Scarlett Dawn
April: The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) by D.J. MacHale The Rose Mark (Black Rose Sorceress, #1) by Connie Suttle Moonshadow (Moonshadow, #1) by Thea Harrison The Hanged Man by P.N. Elrod
May: Smoke and Mirrors (Blackhollow Academy #1) by Jess Haines
June: Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1) by Rachel Aaron

message 3: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments :D

message 5: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 28, 2017 10:01AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 224 comments ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖
SOS's - What's The Rush:
Love or Hate @ First Sight Read 2017

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

BOOKS READ: 4 of 24

July

Spell Booked (Retired Witches Mystery #1) by Joyce Lavene
Spell Booked by Joyce & Jim Levine
Series: Retired Witches Mysteries
(view spoiler)

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows
(view spoiler)

August

Balanced on the Blade's Edge (Dragon Blood, #1) by Lindsay Buroker
Title/Author: Balanced on the Blade's Edge by Lindsay Buroker
Series: Dragon Blood #1
(view spoiler)

The Chase by Clive Cussler
Title/Author: The Chase by Clive Cussler
Series: Isaac Bell #1
(view spoiler)

September

#1)
Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen
Title/Author: Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen
Series: Smokey Barrett
(view spoiler)

#2) The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman
Title/Author: The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman
Series: Hope River #1
(view spoiler)

October

To the Edge (Bodyguard, #1) by Cindy Gerard
Title/Author: To The Edge by Cindy Gerard
Series: The Bodyguards #1
(view spoiler)

Book #2 (Oct)
Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1) by S.E. Smith
Title/Author: Abducting Abby by S.E. Smith
Series: Dragon Lords of Valdier #1
Read: Oct 28
Rating:
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Becky's Review

November

No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer
Title/Author: No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer
(view spoiler)

December
(view spoiler)

January
(view spoiler)

February
(view spoiler)
March
(view spoiler)
April
(view spoiler)
May
(view spoiler)
June
(view spoiler)

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Posting format: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lis (last edited Jun 11, 2017 08:27PM) (new)

Lis | 3556 comments Going to try and keep up this year...

SOS: Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read 2017
Duration: July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017

July - Damian by D.B. Reynolds ★★★★✩ Review
August - Mercury Striking by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★★✩ Review
September - The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires by Molly Harper ★★★1/2✩ Review
October - The Veil by Chloe Neill ★★★✩✩ Review
November - City of Light by Keri Arthur 11/19/2016 ★★★★✩ Review
December - Blood of the Earth by Faith Hunter 12/2016 - 1/2017 ★★★★★ Review
January - Wicked Ride by Rebecca Zanetti 1/17/2017 ★★★★✩ Review
February - Naked in Death by J.D. Robb 2/11/2017 ★★★★✩ Review
March - Accidentally in Love with...a God? by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff 3/1/2017 ★★★✩✩ Review
April - Shadow Rider by Christine Feehan 4/20/2017 ★★★★✩ Review
May - Cinder by Marissa Meyer 5/17/2017 ★★★★✩ Review

June -

Damian (Stone Warriors, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1) by Chloe Neill City of Light (Outcast, #1) by Keri Arthur Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1) by Faith Hunter Wicked Ride (Realm Enforcers, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1) by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff Shadow Rider (Shadow, #1) by Christine Feehan Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Additional firsts:
July - Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton ★★★✩✩ Croc's Return (Bitten Point, #1) by Eve Langlais ★★★✩✩
August - Lion's Share (Wildcats, #1) by Rachel Vincent ★★★★☆ Knight Awakened (Circle of Seven, #1) by Coreene Callahan ★★★☆☆ Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss, #1) by Nalini Singh ★★★☆☆
September - Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1) by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★☆ Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti ★★★☆☆
November - Werelock (Southern Shifters Kindle World) by Mina Carter ★★★☆☆ Hard as a Rock (Paranormal Protection Agency, #1) by Mina Carter ★★★☆☆
January - Hell's Chapel (Caith Morningstar, #1) by Celia Kyle ★★★★✩
March - Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper ★★★☆☆
May - Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1) by Faith Hunter ★★★★✩

message 7: by Charlotte (Buried in Books) (last edited Jun 23, 2017 03:50PM) (new)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments SOS Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read Challenge

1st July 2016 - 30th June 2017

Finished: 12/12

July
- Alice by Christina Henry - 25th July
August - The Gunslinger by Stephen King - 27th August
September - Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin by Geoff Johns - 17th September
October - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - 11th October
November - The Giver by Lois Lowry - 12th November
December - Warlock Holmes - A Study in Brimstone by G.S. Denning - 31st December
January - Prudence by Gail Carriger - 21st January
February - Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer - 12th February
March - Uneasy Lies the Head by Jean Plaidy - 18th March
April - The Martian Ambassador by Alan K. Baker - 14th April
May - The Three by Sarah Lotz - 14th May
June - The Godfather by Mario Puzo - 23rd June

message 8: by KritikaB (last edited Jun 20, 2017 10:01PM) (new)

KritikaB | 53 comments I'm in!! This is my first time. I got quite a lot of series in my TBR list. Should be fun ^ ^

July 16: The Falconer ★★★✩✩
August 16: Tattered Loyalties ★★★★✩
September 16:
Ella, The Slayer ★★★★✩
Stars of Fortune ★★★✩✩
October 16: Shadows of the Ancients ★★★★✩
November 16:
Kodiak's Claim ★★★✩✩
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper ★★★★✩
December 16: Trusting an Angel ★★★★✩
January 17: Cursed ★★★★✩
February 17: Hunted ★★★✩✩
March 17:
The Legend of the Blue Eyes★★★✩✩
Keeper★★★★✩
April 17: Bite the Dust ★★★✩✩
May 17: The Final Formula ★★★★✩
June 17: Blood Destiny ★★★✩✩

The Falconer (The Falconer, #1) by Elizabeth May Tattered Loyalties (Talon Pack, #1) by Carrie Ann Ryan Ella, The Slayer (Serenity House #1) by A.W. Exley Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Shadows of the Ancients (The Ancients #1) by Christine M. Butler Kodiak's Claim (Kodiak Point, #1) by Eve Langlais Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) by J.L. Bryan Trusting an Angel by Missy Jane Cursed (Beholder #1) by Christina Bauer Hunted (Forever Faire #1) by Hazel Hunter The Legend of the Blue Eyes (Blue Eyes Trilogy #1) by B. Kristin McMichael Keeper (Matefinder Next Generation #1) by Leia Stone Bite the Dust (Blood and Moonlight, #1) by Cynthia Eden The Final Formula (The Final Formula, #1) by Becca Andre Blood Destiny (Blood Curse, #1) by Tessa Dawn

message 9: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 07, 2017 04:54PM) (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 134 comments I'm in!
Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read 2017 - 12/12 Read
✓July: Welcome to Lobster Cove by Carol Lynne - 7/31
✓August: Key of Light by Nora Roberts - 8/21
✓September: Autumn Thorns by Yasmine Galenorn - 9/31
✓October: Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy - 10/7
✓November: The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires by Molly Harper - 11/25
✓December: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper - 12/16
✓January: Under Wraps by Hannah Jayne - 1/8
✓February: Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning - 2/6
✓March: Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean - 3/19
✓April: Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong - 4/16
✓May: The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean - 5/29
✓June: What We Find by Robyn Carr - 6/7

Monthly updates - (view spoiler)

message 10: by Suzanne (last edited Aug 01, 2017 10:19AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 953 comments SOS: Serious Overload of Series
What's the Rush > Love or Hate @ FIRST Sight Read 2017
Duration:
7/1/2016 - 6/30/2017

Progress: 12 out of 12

Did it suck you in and leave you breathless for more? Or leave a hole in the wall after you chucked the sucker across the room? Join us as we check out and share our favorite, and not-so-favorite, new series!
*Read 12 books that are the first novel in a new-to-you series.
*Read one book per calendar month (that means, can't read and count 3 new ones in ONE month...)
*Make a MAIN post. This is for your full year list. Please UPDATE this list, not re-post it! Thanks!
*Post monthly updates (new posts, please!) on your great/not-so-great "first" read.
*Prequels, "half numbers" (i.e. 0.5 by GR numbering) and anthologies are not allowed; they're just appetizers, not the "first course"!

July: Cut & Run by Abigail Roux - *** - 7/7/2016
August: Timebound by Rysa Walker - ***** - 8/16/2016 - 366 Pages
September: Stars of Fortune by Nora Roberts - **** - 9/13/2016
October: Soulless by Gail Carriger - ***** - 10/31/2016
November: Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire - **** - 11/11/2016
December: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley - ***** - 12/7/2016
January: Matched by Ally Condie - ** - 1/4/2017
February: Delirium by Lauren Oliver - *** - 2/15/2017 - 441 Pages
March: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith - ***** - 3/28/2017 - 455 Pages
April: Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani - **** - 4/14/2017 - 288 Pages
May: Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding - **** - 5/15/2017 - 405 Pages
June: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson - *** - 6/24/2017 - 423 Pages
Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Viola in Reel Life (Viola #1) by Adriana Trigiani Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson

For MONTHLY updates, include the following:

COVER (#)

Title/Author:
Series:
First time author?
To-Be-Continued?

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 953 comments Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux

Title/Author: Cut & Run by Abigail Roux - *** - 7/7/2016
Series: Cut & Run
Read: 7/7/2016
Rating: ★★★✩✩
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: It was ok, this is a new genre to me so I'll give the next book a shot!

message 12: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments July 2017
The Buried Life (Recoletta, #1) by Carrie Patel
Title/Author: The Buried Life by Carrie Patel
Series: Recoletta
Read: 4 July
Rating: ★★★★★
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Enthusiastically
Review: A steampunk-esque world underground, long after some unremembered catastrophe has driven people from the surface. Multiple engaging viewpoint characters, just enough world building to make it feel real, without too much exposition, and enough conspiracy, history, and discovery to make me hungry for more.

Also read:
Superhero Detective For Hire (The Superhero Detective, #1) by Darius Brasher

message 13: by KritikaB (last edited Jul 07, 2016 09:36PM) (new)

KritikaB | 53 comments The Falconer (The Falconer, #1) by Elizabeth May
Title/Author: The Falconer by Elizabeth May
Series: The Falconer #1
Read: 5 Jul 2016
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? yes
Review:
I like the character of Aileana and her witty way of getting out of trouble. I got kind of confused with all the Faery's names though and not so thrill about the cliffhanger ending. Anyway, I'll probably continue with the second to see what happen.

message 14: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:45AM) (new)

Tiffany Rogers | 80 comments I'm going to give this one a shot. First timer for this challenge.

July: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
August: The Bourbon Kings by J.R. Ward
September:Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
October:The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
November: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
December: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
January: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep
February: On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
March:
April:
May:
June:

message 15: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Yay Tiffany :)

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Rogers | 80 comments First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
Title/Author: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson
Read: July 13, 2016
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Most definitely
Review: Absolutely loved this book and can't wait to continue with the series. The sarcasm and one liners are hilarious!

message 17: by Sam (last edited Aug 05, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Sam | 1012 comments The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Title/Author: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Series: Avalon
Read: 7/13/16
Rating: ★★✩✩✩
First time author? yes
To-Be-Continued? no
Review: This is a book about King Arthur written from the viewpoint of the women in his life (mother, sister, aunt, wife). There was way too much religious theology in this book. There was not enough action. I did not enjoy the way the characters were depicted (all the women were manipulative, Gwen was a childish brat who blamed everyone else for anything that went wrong in her life, Arthur was a weak-willed ninny). It was way too wordy and the same story (better actually) could have been written with a lot fewer words. The best part of the entire book was the final quarter; it was emotional and touching. I had heard great things about this book but either our tastes are way too different or times have changed so much but this was a horrible book. I will definitely NOT finish this series.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1) by Christina Henry

Title/Author: Alice by Christina Henry
Series: The Chronicles of Alice
Read: 25th July
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Definitely
Review: A wonderfully written book. A dark, disturbing, twisted fairy tale that uses the characters of the original in a very grown up way.

This isn't Wonderland, it's the Old City, a place where men control the streets and women disappear daily. A story about people trying to regain their pasts so they can have a future.

It is a million times better than Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

It made me care about Alice and Hatcher. I was rooting for them all along and I need to see where they go from here.

message 19: by Lis (last edited Jul 30, 2016 07:29AM) (new)

Lis | 3556 comments July 1st Reads

Damian (Stone Warriors, #1) by D.B. Reynolds
Title/Author: Damian by D.B. Reynolds
Series: Stone Warriors
Read: 7/1/2016
Rating: ★★★★✩
First time author?
No
To-Be-Continued? Yes, I will definitely continue with series.
Review: Really enjoyed this new series which is set in the same universe as Vampires in America, but a completely different spinoff. This focuses on magic, sorcerers and cursed warriors. This series follows Nick / Nico, which is Cyn's mysterious ex-boyfriend and actually a 2000 year old sorcerer. He and his team of magical item hunters are a branch of the FBI. Nick uses his team to locate his lost magical items along with other dangerous artifacts to protect the world from harm and keep them out of the hands of his nemesis Sotiris. Thousands of years ago Sotiris cursed his warriors by turning them in stone statues and they have been scattered and hidden until now. One of Nick's hunters and his own personal "OOP detector" Cassandra happens to locate and awaken his most dearest friend Damian. The race to prevent Sotiris from killing hundreds with a talisman and selling this item to the highest bidder is the main storyline of this book and the romance is the bonus.

Croc's Return (Bitten Point, #1) by Eve Langlais
Title/Author: Croc's Return by Eve Langlais
Series: Bitten Point
Read: 7/10/2016
First time author?
No
To-Be-Continued? Yes, Will definitely continue with the series.
Review: Really enjoy Langlais reads and this new series is off to a good start. Serious content mixed with humor made it an enjoyable read. Liked the non-traditional shifters, crocs, gators, pythons... Only negative was the abandoned pregnant girlfriend storyline.

Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton
Title/Author: Marked by Elisabeth Naughton
Series: Eternal Guardians
Read: 7/28/2016
First time author?
Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: For the first book in the Eternal Guardians series, it wasn't bad. Upside, the story had some interesting world building and a somewhat unique storyline with Argonauts angle. Super strength, super powers, super healing... Downside, the Argonauts themselves tended to be more jerks than anything. And the most frustrating was the pre-coital interruptions... It went from a build up to ridiculous, I hope the next in the series improves from this story building style....

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 134 comments July 2016 Update
Welcome to Lobster Cove (Lobster Cove #1) by Carol Lynne
Title/Author: Welcome to Lobster Cove by Carol Lynne
Series: Lobster Cove
Read: July 31
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Shorter then I expected. It was a little odd to read a book that mentions Cattle Valley without being set there.

message 21: by Dawn (last edited Nov 07, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

Dawn West (uptildawnbookblog) | 1 comments Sounds like fun! I've never done a challenge before, so this will be my first!

**July**
The Lessons (Off-Limits, #1) by Elizabeth Brown
Title/Author: The Lessons
Series: Off Limits Series
Read: July 9th
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: 5 fabulous stars! Awesome characters, steamy romance, and an intriguing plot. If the second book is anything like this one, I just may faint!
My Review Link

**August**
Enlightenment (The Driel Trilogy #1) by Liz Keel
Title/Author: Enlightenment
Series: The Driel Trilogy
Read: August 2nd
First time author? Yes!
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: A strong beginning to what I expect will be a good fantasy trilogy. 4 stars!
My Review Link

**September**
The Fourth Piece (Order's Last Play #1) by E. Ardell
Title/Author: The Fourth Piece
Series: Order's Last Play Series
Read: September 1st
First time author? Yes!
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Entertaining sci-fi story, told by the POVs of four brothers. Loved getting inside the guys' heads! Five stars!
My Review Link

**October**
A Bond Of Venom and Magic (The Goddess and the Guardians #1) by Karen Tomlinson
Title/Author: A Bond Of Venom and Magic
Series: The Goddess and the Guardians
Read: October 17th
First time author? Yes!
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Nonstop YA fantasy with action and adventure! Four fun stars!
My Review Link

**November**
Title/Author:
Series:
First time author?
To-Be-Continued?

message 22: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Welcome Dawn, hope you enjoy for first!

message 23: by Angie (last edited May 17, 2017 02:48PM) (new)

Angie | 106 comments Love or Hate at First Read
1/7/16 – 30/6/17

July: Take Me Under by Rhyannon Byrd - July 7
August: The Selection by Kiera Cass - August 21
September: Hooked On The Game by C.M. Owens - September 30
October: Bluegrass State of Mind - Kathleen Brooks - October 11
November: Lady Midnight - Cassandra Clare - November 20
December: Omens - Kelley Armstrong - December 29
January: Half-Blood - Jennifer L Armentrout - January 7
February: Existence - Abbi Glines - February 11
March: Freefall - Tess Oliver - March 15
April: Drantos - Laurann Dohner - April 18
May: Atlantis Riptide - Allie Burton - May 2
June: Introductions - C.L. Stone

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie | 106 comments Title/Author: Take Me Under by Rhyannon Byrd Take Me Under (Dangerous Tides, #1) by Rhyannon Byrd
Series: Dangerous Tides
Read: July 7
Rating: **
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? No
Review: Was very formulaic, got quite bored half-way through.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1012 comments Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur
Title/Author: Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur
Series: Riley Jenson Guardian
Read: 8/5/16
Rating: 4 stars
First time author? yes
To-Be-Continued? yes
Review: I enjoyed this book quite a bit. A slightly different take on werewolves. Riley works for the Directorate, a government department that polices the non-human members of society. She is essentially a secretary, but her boss wants her to become a guardian (essentially an enforcer). She gets involved in a case when her brother goes missing. I look forward to seeing how this is all going to play out.

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Rogers | 80 comments The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward
Title/Author: J.R. Ward
Series: The Bourbon Kings
Read: 8/10/16
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: I ended up really enjoying this book. The only reason I rated it as I did is that it took me awhile to get into it. Getting to know the cast takes a lot of time in the beginning. Otherwise, a very good read. I've already finished the second book.

message 27: by KritikaB (last edited Aug 15, 2016 09:10PM) (new)

KritikaB | 53 comments Tattered Loyalties (Talon Pack, #1) by Carrie Ann Ryan

Title/Author: Tattered Loyalty/Carrie Ann Ryan
Series: Talon Pack #1
Read: 10 August 2016
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? yes
Review:
In a way, it is kind of typical story of Alpha and his mate but, the characters have more depth and past issues that makes it interesting. I honestly went the wrong way reading it. I should started with the Redwood Pack series but, I only realized when I started the second one. Anyway, I like Gideon and Brie, I think they are kind of cute together. Overall I quite enjoy reading it.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments Getting incredibly irritated with myself - have started 4 different firsts this month and am struggling to get into ANY of them.

*slinks off into a corner to sulk*

#damnreadingfunk

message 29: by ladymurmur (last edited Sep 25, 2016 04:48PM) (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments August 2016
New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1) by Elizabeth Bear
Title/Author: New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear
Series: New Amsterdam
Read: 11 Aug
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Already finished the series
Review: Pleasant alternate-history, lightly steampunk world with not your standard vampires, werewolves, and magic users. The concept of "forensic sorcerers" as an alternative with actual detective work and crime scene investigation. I read the two omnibus ebooks, and the order the stories were presented is not quite, I think, the standard series order - but it was readable nonetheless. Lightly touching forward and back along the timeline and life of the main characters and events allows for greater exploration in the universe without all the exposition that would otherwise be required. Not your standard UF or PR fare, but might make a nice palate cleanser for some.
(What I really want is the next Karen Memory story! Heard the author read a selection from that WIP earlier this summer, and has me very excited for the next installment!)

Also read:
The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens Flex ('Mancer, #1) by Ferrett Steinmetz Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1) by Larry Correia

message 30: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Getting incredibly irritated with myself - have started 4 different firsts this month and am struggling to get into ANY of them.

*slinks off into a corner to sulk*

#damnreadingfunk"

Reading is supposed to be a pleasure! If the book isn't working for you right now, then I say let it go and move on to something that is. Doesn't mean you won't pick the book back up and enjoy it later.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments I know - just getting frustrated with myself. I will keep trying!! Hopefully I can find something that catches me before the end of the month.

message 32: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments I completely get it, Charlotte!

Will keep my fingers crossed that something clicks for you soon. :-)

message 33: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Charlotte, read something you know you'll like to get into the right mind set, then try something new :)

And ladymurmur, we're still in 2016 LOL

message 34: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 134 comments August 2016 Update
Key of Light (Key Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts
Title/Author: Key of Light by Nora Roberts
Series: Key Trilogy
Read: August 21
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: This book follows the same formula as many of the other Nora Roberts books I've read does. There's a quest that brings people together and couples form from that group. I feel a little too critical saying that, since I clrealy like Nora Roberts' books, but this one just made it really clear that they all have the same general formula. They also often have something to do with magic and Ireland. (I know all of her books don't follow this formula, but so many of them do).

The ending was alittle sudden. I know there are three books in this series (it's a trilogy, after all), but it still seemed a little sudden to me. I don't have alot to say, since I've already started the next book and I don't want to risk getting them mixed up.

message 35: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments Sandra wrote: "And ladymurmur, we're still in 2016 LOL"

*facepalm* Yes, yes - we are.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King

Title/Author: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Series: The Dark Tower
Read: 27th August 2016
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: WTF? My head hurts and I need to lie down in a darkened room. I've tried at least 4 or 5 different firsts this month, with little luck - I'd get about 20 pages in and lose interest. The furthest I got with any of them was a third of the way through Jurassic Park.

Then earlier this week I decided to try The Gunslinger. I don't know what King was on when he wrote this, but it was strangely alluring - even though it did confuse the hell out of me - especially the last section.

It was trippy. Maybe it would have made more sense if I'd been permanently half cut while reading it.

I like Roland and can completely see Idris Elba in that role. I think he'll do a great job - as will Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black.

message 37: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3556 comments August Firsts
Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti
Title/Author:
Mercury Striking by Rebecca Zanetti
Series: Scorpius Syndrome
Read: 8/3/2016
Rating: ★★★★☆
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: This was a great start to a new series. Set in a world trying to survive the fallout of a killer bacteria introduced by a meteorite that crashed to the earth. Majority of the population was lost to the fever and the few survivors that did survive are now raving zombie like killers known as rippers. The heroine is the former CDC leader that was given one of the only cures and on the run. She heads to CA to find the lab that might have the found another treatment. This story was all dark and depressing with survivors challenged to be their best, with a little romance sprinkled in. Just the way I like my reads..

Lion's Share (Wildcats, #1) by Rachel Vincent
Title/Author: Lion's Share by Rachel Vincent
Series: Wildcats
Read: 8/22/2016
Rating: ★★★★☆
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: This is the first book in Vincent's shifter series spinoff and it felt a little like a homecoming to the pride world. A few of the characters I liked from the previous serious, Jace and with a little catch up on what's been going on in the few years since the series wrapped up. Also treated to a few secondary characters stepping up and I like where it's going. Definitely will be continuing within series.

Knight Awakened (Circle of Seven, #1) by Coreene Callahan
Title/Author: Knight Awakened by Coreene Callahan
Series: Circle of Seven
Read: 8/10/2016
Rating: ★★★☆☆
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Interesting beginning and world building for a new series. Liked how Afina got tougher as the story goes and her man gets softer. Only negative is that it was a little longer than it needed to be, but I plan to continue with series. The audio version wasn't bad.

Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss, #1) by Nalini Singh
Title/Author: Rock Addiction by Nalini Singh
Series: Rock Kiss
Read: 8/14/2016
Rating: ★★★☆☆
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes, completed all published versions in audio and up to date
Review: This was an enjoyable read. I went with the audio version and it was narrated well. While it was somewhat predictable and at times a little cheesy, I will always invest time in anything Nalini Singh writes. It was a little fifty shades of rockstar, but that's ok. Will continue on with the series.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 224 comments Here's my first for September! I haven't been posting my updates individually, but I'll try to make a habit of it. LOL!

The rest of my posts are in my main tracking post HERE.

Book #1) September 2016

Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen
Title/Author: Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen
Series: Smokey Barrett
Read: September 1st
Rating: ★★★★
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review:

This is a bone chilling crime thriller told from the perspective of former FBI Agent Smoky Barrett. Smoky is currently on leave from work and in therapy after a serial killer attacked her and her family, resulting in the death of her husband and young daughter. The attack has also left Smoky grief-stricken and empty, with severe emotional and physical scars. She's barely coping, taking things day by day, hoping that one day she can return to her duties. Everything changes when an old high school friend is viciously murdered and the killer leaves a note for Smoky at the scene, taunting her to catch him...if she can. She pulls herself together and returns to work, determined to track the killer down.

Right away I liked Smoky for her courage and strength, for the imperfections that make her human, and for her willingness to give everything of herself to save a virtual stranger.

I should say that this book isn't for everyone as the violence is graphic and includes multiple sexual assaults and rapes. These are 'seen' mostly after the fact, or from a third person clinical viewpoint, but it is still disturbing. This book is very written, fast paced, and the plot is extremely well thought out. The police procedures appear to be well researched and the characters are realistic, their anger and outrage bleeds from the pages at times, as does their fierce determination to capture their villain and gain justice for the victims. I loved the ending and never would've seen it coming! I will definitely be moving on with this series. Nicely done!

message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie | 106 comments Title/Author: The Selection by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection
Read August 21
Rating: ****
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Contined? Yes
Review: Easy to read with a new world that I am curious about.
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 953 comments Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker

Title/Author: Timebound by Rysa Walker
Series: The Chronos Files
Read: 8/16/2016
First time author? Yes!
To-Be-Continued? Absolutely!
Review: I was plesantly surprised how good this book was. It's one of the few time travel books that I actually enjoyed!

message 41: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1012 comments My Familiar Stranger (Knights of Black Swan, #1) by Victoria Danann

Title/Author: My Familiar Stranger by Victoria Danann
Series: Knights of Black Swan
Read: 9/8/16
Rating: 4 stars
First time author? yes
To-Be-Continued? yes
Review: I really enjoyed this book. Elora is sent through a dimensional portal and ends up in a parallel universe. She is rescued by the Knights of Black Swan, a secret military organization that exists to hunt vampires and keep their existence secret from the rest of the population. I enjoyed the characters and how things were similar, and yet different to our world.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 953 comments Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts

Title/Author: Stars of Fortune by Nora Roberts
Series: The Guardians Trilogy
Read: 9/13/2016
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Sure
Review: I liked this story but I hated the narrator. Whoever they used on audible.com was just AWFUL!! I will definately be reading the paper version for the next book.

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Rogers | 80 comments Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

Title/Author: Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling
Read: 9-14-16
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: I was a little skeptical with the world building at first. It's a very different concept that what I'm used to but I found myself really liking the characters even if I wasn't so sure of their environment. I've already read the second in the series and will continue.

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1012 comments Tiffany wrote: "Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

Title/Author: Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling
Read: 9-14-16
First time author? Yes
To-Be-..."

This book is also on my TBR list. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

message 45: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments It's one of the best series Sam, don't wait too long :)

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1012 comments Sandra wrote: "It's one of the best series Sam, don't wait too long :)"

I keep passing over it. I think it's because the series is so long. It would be like starting the In Death series for the very first time. Or Sherrilyn's Dark Hunter series. Or Feehan's Carpathian series. You get the picture ;)

message 47: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Well, its only about 14 books I think, not the 42 odd of In Death and the 27 odd of Carpathians.... LOL

message 48: by KritikaB (last edited Oct 11, 2016 10:46PM) (new)

KritikaB | 53 comments Ella, The Slayer by A.W. Exley

Title/Author: Ellas, The Slayer by A.W. Exley
Series: Serenity House
Read: 4/9/2016
First time author? No
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review:
I already read the author's another series, Artifact Hunters, and really like them so, I picked up this one. Though, I knew that the story was like a fairy tale with a twist of zombie, I frankly was quite discouraged when I saw stepmother & stepsister in the story. Well, I continued on and I enjoyed it even when I wanted to jump in and smack the stepmother in the head so much. It helps that the hero wasn't so innocent like the prince charming in the fairy tale. I'm waiting for the next book.

Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts

Title/Author: Stars of fortune by Nora Roberts
Series: The Guardian Series
Read: 25/9/2016
First time author? yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review:
I was struggling with the way the author narrated the story a bit. Maybe it was just me but, she often switched the narrated character within a section and I had a hard time who was telling the story.
Apart from that, I like the plot of the story, the way she brought all six characters together.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 224 comments Better late than never! Here's my second book for September.

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman
Title/Author: The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman
Series: Hope River #1
Read: Sept 24, 2016
Rating: ★★★★
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes

Review: I really enjoyed this story. Told in 1st person POV, we meet Patience Murphy, a midwife who arrived in rural West Virginia just before the Great Depression. Patience is a fascinating characte with a complex and sometimes heartbreaking past. There are many interesting characters in the little town of Hope River. It's a book about life and death, struggles and joy, courage and learning to trust. The writing is wonderful and makes for a great book to curl up with in front of the fireplace with a hot cup of tea and read away the afternoon. I'm looking foward to the second book!

message 50: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 728 comments September 2016
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1) by Jodi Taylor

Title/Author: Just One Damned Thing After Another/Jodi Taylor
Series: Chronicles of St. Mary
Read: 9/3/2016
First time author? Yes
To-Be-Continued? Yes
Review: Time travel, with all the quirky personalities that one might expect from an academic and scientific organization. Would love to be a fly on the wall in some of those labs.

Also Read:
Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1) by A.J. Aalto Mob Rules (Underworld Cycle, #1) by Cameron Haley Ghosts of Tsavo (Society for Paranormals, #1) by Vered Ehsani Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1) by Faith Hunter

« previous 1 3