Start by marking “Delirium (Delirium, #1)” as Want to Read:
Delirium (Delirium, #1)

Delirium

(Delirium #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  412,679 ratings  ·  26,203 reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ISBN13 here.

Published February 7th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Delirium, please sign up.
Merjem In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure…moreIn an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the Wilds who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eden
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,365 books — 11,141 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,463 books — 79,535 voters

More lists with this book...

·  412,679 ratings  ·  26,203 reviews

Start your review of Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Lyndz
Around page 30(ish) there is a line in the book that I really could not get past and I nearly put the book down because of it. “His eyes are literally dancing with light, burning as though on fire.” This is what I pictured:

I am positive that eyeballs (literally) doing a cha-cha with light bulbs is not is not what Oliver meant to portray. I am also pretty sure, given the context, that this statement was not intended as hyperbole. Now see here, I am normally not a grammar stickler, but this lapse
Tatiana
May 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA romance fans
It is clear, the new genre of dystopian romance is here to stay. Apparently, paranormal romance formula I-can't-be-with-you-cause-I-might-kill-you is getting old, so now we will be bombarded with trilogies showcasing new formula I-can't-be-with-you-cause-this-bad-dystopian-world-is-tearing-us-apart. Ugh! And why did Lauren Oliver decide to dabble in this genre instead of sticking to what she knows best? I am trying to be nice here, but Oliver has no talent for speculative fiction. I worry about ...more
Kat Kennedy
I have said this before and I’ll say it again. I have no prob­lem with an implau­si­ble story vehi­cle. As long as the ride is good and it relates a moral or philo­soph­i­cal value.

But where the line is drawn is when the world isn’t con­sis­tent and in the con­fines of that world, things don’t make sense.

That’s my limit. That’s when I start get­ting frus­trated and annoyed. And it’s not because an author tried some­thing new, okay? Lau­ren Oliver is AMAZING. She is a great author who is eru­dite
Stacey (prettybooks)
December 2011 review:
I adored Delirium when I first read and reviewed it, which was back in February. I had limited experience with dystopia, only having read Matched, The Hunger Games, and Uglies, but Delirium made it one of favourite genres. I’ve come across many young dystopian novels since then, and having re-read Delirium, I can safely say that it is still one of my favourites and one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Although Delirium is a dystopian novel, it is first and foremost a lo
Erica (storybookend)
There are some books written that touch you deeply. Stories that work their way stealthily into your heart, and imbeds itself securely there, and refusing to disperse, leaving you utterly breathless and completely captivated with wondrous awe. Delirium did this for me. There are not many books that can speak to you the way Delirium does. Books that tug at your heartstrings, and make you believe in the impossible. Books that can express what love really is: an all consuming, brilliantly captivati ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a good book. I loved the whole idea of the world even though I found it depressing. It was such a unique concept. There were times when I found myself being annoyed with Lena. I kept thinking to myself "Lena, shut up.", but I grew to really like her character towards the end. Also.. what the heck was that ending? WHY DID YOU DO THAT LAUREN OLIVER. YOU HURT MY HEART.

Oh and can I get more Hana Tate please?
Emily May

2 / 5

Dystopian fiction, particularly the young adult kind, is plummeting downhill at 100 mile-an-hour.

Misty
2.5 - 3

"I hate skin; I hate bones and bodies.  I want to curl up inside of him and be carried there forever."

Earlier this year, I fell in love with Lauren Oliver's debut, Before I Fall.  So understandably, I was very excited to hear about her next book, Delirium.  A dystopian world where love is a disease, written by the clearly very talented Oliver?  Yeah, I can get behind that.  I settled in to wait the long, cruel months until the February release date, when I got a surprise package in the ma
Olivia McCloskey
Before I begin, let me start by warning anyone who has placed this book on their To-Read Shelf: Do not plan on accomplishing anything productive for approximately 24 hours after starting the book. You have been warned. And for anyone who did not read this warning in time, you are more than welcome to join my sleep-deprived sob fest. If only I knew what I was getting myself into when I first picked up the book.

For the past sixty-four years, love was considered a disease which impaired reason and
Evgnossia O'Hara
Review was originally published on my blog Through the Chapters

What if we had to live in an alternative universe? What if this universe would be the same but not exactly equivalent to ours? What if it would be illegal to feel anything? What if love would be considered as a mortal sin? What if we had to spend almost all our lives not as human beings but something in between, since everything that breathes into us humanity would not exist at all? What if…? What if…?

Is it even possible to be depriv
kari
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011

This has all the elements of being a very exciting story, but sad to say, it isn't. The last fifty pages lift it from a two star, barely, but can't save the entirety of the book.
First of all, it's simply too long for what is in here. The storyline isn't bad, but it's far too minutely descriptive and all I can think is, well, this is going to be stretched out to fill three books so, of course, it's overly descriptive. Something has to fill all those pages. Too bad it isn't the story, but street b
Dija
So a day before the release of Pandemonium, I finally get around to reading Delirium. And after that devastating ending, my relief knows no bounds.

I don't know how you all survived the past year without raiding Oliver's home and/or holding her publisher at gunpoint for an ARC, but I'm so glad I don't have to prove my non-existent patience with this one, because frankly, I about died reading that last chapter.

Honestly, I hated Lena for most of the book. She's so damn weak and I couldn't help bu
Jen
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I had heard a lot of wonderful early buzz about Delirium. I also heard about the buckets of tears that resulted from reading said book. I manned up a little before marking this one as "reading now" on my Nook. I thought I was prepared, you guys.

I.
Was.
Not.
Prepared.

Delirium is one of those books that makes your eyes second guess what they're reading, because how can anyone write such beautiful, beautiful things? It is chock full of phrases that you want to memorize and save for one of those momen
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

A girl and a boy in a world where love is a sickness that can be cured.
Set in a dystopian Portland, Maine, the novel tells the story of Lena, 17, just before she receives a life-altering operation, that will forever take her feelings away.

I know I'm late. Like, really late. So many people have already read this and given an overall very good rating.
While I love the idea and creativity behing the story, I had some issues reading
Charlotte May
"Love, the deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it and when you don't."

To be fair, I wasn't expecting much from this novel. It was written in 2011, when dystopian books were at the height of popularity, and I guarantee if I had read this when I was a young teen, I would have devoured it.
However, I am now a cynical 25 year old, and books like this don't affect me. YA has come a long way since this was released, and I just noticed a lot of flaws (for me anyway).

Lena li
oliviasbooks
Okay. A review - or better a hopefully short explanation - after reading 104 pages, which in the case of "Delirium" means, I am still in the middle of the introductory chapters before the "real story" starts.

I do not know what I had expected storywise, when I pre-ordered the book. There were two factors, that made me do it, though: I had been very impressed by the author's courageous debut Before I Fall and the emotions reading it exposed me to. And - like almost every YA book lover out here - I
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
A read for The Quarterly Book Club’s 2016 Series Reread Challenge
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver’s Delirium has once again astounded me. It is one of my best-loved dystopia series since I first read it. All the feelings that overwhelmed me before came rushing back, enveloping me in an embrace that reminds me of the beauty of a night sky, captivating with the speckling of stars.

Lena Haloway grew up looking forward to the day that she will be cured. She believed that
Elle

Let’s all gather round and pretend that Lauren Oliver is a surgeon. A highly skilled, kick-ass champion of a surgeon.

Now, let's assume that Delirium is the patient.

And if these statements are true, then the characters are the amoebas that are aggressively attacking the patient and the plot is the brain tumour that will bring it to its tragic end.

Because let's be honest, this book was a bad idea.

It would be as if I woke up tomorrow and decided it was a terrific stroke of genius to wear my purple
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, favorites
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“...And Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare.”
“And why is that?” Evaluator Three asks.
“It’s beautiful.”
“Beautiful?” Evaluator One wrinkles her nose.
There’s a zinging, frigid tension in the air, and I realize I’ve made a big, big mistake.
“That’s an interesting word to use. Very interesting. Perhaps you find suffering beautiful? Perhaps you enjoy violence?”
“I just mean... there’s something so sad about it...” I’m struggling, floundering, feeling like I’m drowning now, in the white light and th
Felicity Jackson (gowithflick)
FAR OUT. Did it really have to end like that....? 😢
Such a clever idea though!! Really good read but oh my...I need a minute.
Steph Sinclair

I really wanted to love this book. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it just didn't add up to the hype I thought it would. I would say I give it more of 3 1/2 stars.

Delirium is about a girl name Lena who lives in a future where love is considered a disease. At 18 everyone under goes surgery to remove the ability to love. However, a few months before her surgery and birthday, she meets Alex and falls in love. Obviously, this complicates things.

To be honest, it was difficult to place myself
andee 🏹
5/5 Stars

I didn’t expect to love this book as much as I do!

The concept of love being a disease was just great.

Really enjoyed the characters and loved their development throughout the book.

Lauren Oliver delivered a beautiful and intense story about forbidden love.

BUT THE ENDING, WHY?
Sita
I tried I really did, I loved Before I fall, and this book sounded so great, but I couldn't bring myself to get past the first 100 pages. This book is probably good for some people, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Lexy S.C.
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-burn
Yet another example of why I hate dystopia. Same old, same old.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Delirium (Delirium, #1), Lauren Oliver
Delirium is the first in her dystopian trilogy. It tells the story of a society where love has been considered a disease and everyone has to go through a special treatment on their eighteenth birthday to be cured of the illness. The book's protagonist, Lena, meets a boy who shows her not everything is as it seems. Published on January 1, 2011, by HarperCollins (HarperTeen).
Characters: Hana Tate, Magdalena "Lena" Ella Haloway-Tiddle, Alex Sheathes, Carol Tidd
Michele at A Belle's Tales
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michele at A Belle's Tales by: jeanette
“They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I’ve always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I’d rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”

I am afraid I don’t possess the vocabulary to accurately describe this book. Beautiful, yes, but that does not do it justice. I was mesmerized from the beginning. This book tugged at my heart and left me breathless. The ending left me speec
Klinta
Mar 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I don't know what is it about these dystopian novels, but somehow almost all I've read have a very daft protagonist who somehow is the centre of attention (and often perceived as clever for some reason) although they are far from the smartest in the room.

I didn't like the book and I think a big reason for this is - I'm an adult. I can keep pretending I haven't really grown up properly when it comes to calling to arrange a doctor's appointment, but when it comes to this book, I'm definitely an a
Penny
For a book that is based entirely on the idea of love, is incredibly dull.

Delirium was well written and the idea was good, but in my opinion, it fails to deliver. The development of the story falls through.

The main problem to me is that the book is not passionate or surprising, there is no intensity. It is too mild, it has no real action, emotional tension or excitement, it just rolls nice and easy right until the end (although it doesn't feel like an end to me) when the writer goes and decide
Wendy Darling

A well-written and engaging utopian romance, with an ending that leaves you wanting more but doesn't feel like a cheap trick.
Addicted to YA: Alex, Lena, and Julian 25 678 Jul 04, 2020 09:59AM
Delirium tv series where to watch 19 583 May 05, 2020 01:22PM
SPOILER ALERT: did alex die??!?!?!?! 16 1067 Dec 06, 2019 07:14AM
What was your favorite part of the book? 39 202 Jun 14, 2019 08:39AM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: Delirium 22 132 May 15, 2019 06:47PM
Play Book Tag: Delirium / Lauren Oliver. 4 stars 1 11 Feb 16, 2019 01:04PM

• Matched (Matched, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Fallen (Fallen, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Crossed (Matched, #2)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more

Delirium (3 books)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)

Articles featuring this book

As fans of The Hunger Games know, your enemies always seem to reemerge right when you least expect them. That's right, this month, Suzanne Collin...
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it” 4826 likes