Start by marking “The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  67,022 Ratings  ·  6,519 Reviews
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a fa
Published September 20th 2011 by Greenwillow

To ask other readers questions about The Girl of Fire and Thorns, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
ElegantElsa No you weren't, I cried to!! It was so sad I'm like "...no...no...NOOOOOOO!!" But (You're gonna hate me for this) it was...fitting. Though so sad. But…moreNo you weren't, I cried to!! It was so sad I'm like "...no...no...NOOOOOOO!!" But (You're gonna hate me for this) it was...fitting. Though so sad. But it made the end of the story the end. like all the ends had been tied. that it was a good finish. but still...
(`````````
(....... O

I so sad!!!!(less)
Erin Reilly-Sanders She addreses this in an interview posted at http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/09/13/f... -apparently she was working on her Spanish to connect with her…moreShe addreses this in an interview posted at http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/09/13/f... -apparently she was working on her Spanish to connect with her Spanish-speaking coworkers and wanted to feature a non-anglo-centric fantasy world.(less)

Shannon
If you caught even just a couple of my updates I think it would've been plainly obvious that I didn't enjoy this book. It's disappointing, really, because I think Carson was attempting to create a heroine that many girls could relate to. Elisa is overweight, unsure of herself, overshadowed by her prettier and skinnier sister, and chosen for something she's not sure she's worthy of. It sounds like the beginning of a compelling story, but ultimately Elisa only proves her worthiness by changing eve ...more
"That's All" Ash
Running in a 25k marathon.
In 4.8 inch heels.
In the rain.
With an STD.
While hungover.
And getting passed by a 93-year-old man,
Who’s wearing a very form-fitting polyester purple-leopard-print body suit.

Would have been better than this book.

photo Andthentheytellthemandyourelike_c3248a04bee1d955979c1ddc51d01c0d.gif
Val ⚓️
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dude. You guys. Best YA high fantasy I’ve read in, well, a LONG time.

And one of the few 5 star ratings my stingy ass has handed out so far this year.

I did the old, “I’ll just read a couple of chapters before bed” nonsense and....yeah. Read it in one sitting.

The writing was engrossing, the plot moved along at a decent pace, and the characters were all layered and grew/developed throughout the story.

I also loved that the main character - although still a "chosen one" trope character - was not a
Emily May
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2015
I feel torn about The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

On the one hand, there's not much room to accuse this book of being slow - the action is constant, zipping along from a bloody battle, to a lusty encounter (PG-13, of course), to another dramatic reveal, to a kidnapping. Elisa's life spins off in a crazy new direction that starts with her marriage to a King of a nearby country in chapter one, and the pacing never slows down after that.

Elisa is a 16-year-old princess and was born the bearer of a Godst
Tatiana
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of "Divergent," "Matched," "Delirium"
Recommended to Tatiana by: Paolo Bacigalupi's blurb
Shelves: fantasy, ya, why-the-hype, 2011

My ARC has the old version of the cover and it is super pretty, the blue tones of it are gorgeous:

I am glad the publishers changed it though. At the very least this book will be spared accusations of whitewashing and weightwashing. The heroine of this novel - Princess Elisa of Orovalle - describes herself as "dark," "brown" and also as "a big, bloated sausage" and "pig." Clearly, the cover doesn't quite match these adjectives.

Now onto the novel itself. 16-year old princess Elisa has a g
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
“And God raised up for Himself a champion. Yea, once in every four generations He raised him up to bear His mark.”

What better way to take a break from stupid reality things like essays and demanding classes than a YA fantasy book about war, prophecy, an unlikely heroine and mouth-watering food? Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleasantly surprised!

“Lucero-Elisa. Heavenly light, chosen of God. His words suffocate me as surely as his embrace. All my life, I've been reminded that I am destined for
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

1.5 stars. All in all incredibly underwhelming and somewhat both idiotic and infuriating. Trust me, I would love to tell you that my distaste only revolves around personal matters - as a strong case of "it's not the book but me", let's say - but in all honesty, I really don't think that and the problems I had with The Girl of Fire and Thorns were way too numerous to be left ignored.

"You must not lose faith, child. No matter what. Do not doubt God or his choosing of you. He knows infinitely more
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
Truly honorable death, the only honorable death, is one that enables life.

I enjoyed reading this book but not in the way I expected. The characters were very realistic and the concept of the Godstone was very unique. The story moves at a good pace and I look forward to seeing where Rae Carson takes this story. This book, in my opinion, had enough potential to be left as a standalone but there are 2 more books and I am genuinely interested in seeing how our protagonist grows into the position s
Lindsey Rey
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, young-adult
DEAR EVERYBODY: YOU NEED TO READ THIS!!! Seriously, what Rae Carson does with this book is brilliant and extremely refreshing! Everything is so honest and genuine and I loved every moment of it.
Simona Bartolotta
"God's will. How many times have I heard someone declare their understanding of this thing I find so indefinable?"

Sometimes it's fascinating how authors can synthesize their own books in just one sentence strategically hidden in the books themselves. Hats off.

•One of the main complaints readers usually have when it comes to this book is the main character. In all honesty, Elisa may be difficult to stand, especially because, especially at the beginning, her way of thinking is strictly linked to
Anne
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know.
I liked some parts of it, but it was weird/draggy/& preachy in parts, too. Guess I'll settle on 3 stars?

First off, the whole stone in the belly button thing was sort of strange...& eventually (when she tried to dig it out) off-putting for me.
I just...ewwww.

description

Now, supposedly, she was given the stone by God to help her do something special, but the records of the previous Stone Bearers seemed sketchy at best. Some of them accomplished something, some of them died young, and most
❄️Nani❄️
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
10/12/17

Help, I feel… nothing.

You know when you can’t say you hated or loved a book because you can't even remember what went on? That's how I feel right now. I don’t remember half the characters much less the plot because I was so bored and I’ve only finished it just a few hrs ago. 🤦♀
Pray you don't feel the dread of indifference, my friends because a lack of any emotion towards a book is far worse than hating it. At least then you still feel… something.
However, all’s not doom and gloom because
Jeff
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

This book has a very strong female character.
And guess what??
SHE IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FEMALE CHARACTERS.
Probably one of the first maybe only books that have a girl who isn't that skinny, and perfect little 'ordinary' girl.
No, this book has a wonderful girl who loves sweets AND WILL ACTUALLY EAT THEM DAILY BECUZ SHE LOVES THEM, NOT BECUZ SHE WANTS TO BECOME A SKELETON.

So to all u peoples out there........... u is beautiful
So screw body image, eat all the cake
Sana
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sana by: NerdyJediGymnast

This book was weird. It so boring at times yet somewhat enjoyable. The only reason I was able to enjoy this was because of that romance. Seriously, what the fuck happened, I'm still screaming.

Here are some reasons why I liked this book:

We don't have a skinny MC. I love how Elisa wasn't a skinny heroine and what she looks like shouldn't matter. She was smart, brave, thought and extremely fucking annoying at times and I loved it.

◇I loved how Humberto treated her. He fell in love with he
Faye, la Patata
Oh, my goodness.

A heroine who actually thinks for herself?
A heroine who doesn't get swayed by hot men?
A heroine who overcomes her fears realistically and courageously?
A heroine who is perfect in her imperfections?
A heroine who is flawed yet so real?

A FANTASY STORY WHERE THE ROMANCE IS ACTUALLY NOT CENTRAL???

Ooh. La. Freaking. La.

To say that I enjoyed this book is an understatement.

It's been a while since I finished a book in one sitting. Seriously, recently, it takes me 3-5 days max to finish a
C.G. Drews
I am ridiculously in love with this book. I've been gnawing at fantasies like a fiend lately and FINALLY I found this one which is a) unique, and b) feministic, and c) incredibly adorable and charming and heart warming. WELL. Apart from the moments when my heart was breaking. This author does NOT spare her characters. AHHH. WHERE EVEN TO BEGIN?!!

It's an incredible rich fantasy world, which was gorgeous to eat. My only single complaint was that it was a bit hard to pin-point all the countries and
tonya.
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, arcs, fantasy, ya, poc
This was one of those books I have a hard time rating, simply because some elements were very well done, and others very poorly done.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns is the story of Elisa, princess to the country of Oravalle and bearer of the Godstone, a jewel implanted in her navel that signifies she is marked by god as one who will do a Service. Elisa has no idea what her Service will be, and can't imagine herself ever being useful to her country. She is merely the overweight, shy younger daughter
Cinda
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this for fans of Tamora Pierce, Kristin Cashore, and my own high fantasy. This is a transformation story that teens and adults can believe in. Never condescending.
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
I LOVED THIS BOOK! So freaking epic! Elisa is just one of those characters you fall in love with.
Natalie Monroe
DNF at 50%

"I understand why it is better to die from my service than never complete it at all. Far, far better. Homer and Damian never profited from their acts of heroism; everyone who followed did. In the same way, I may never reap the benefits of mine, should I complete it. But that doesn't matter, because God placing his stone in my belly was never about me."

I firmly believe a new genre should be carved out just for The Girl of Fire and Thorns: Religious Fantasy. Lord, is it preachy—just lo
Ashley Brooks
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult

I reeeeeeeeally liked this. This was such a refreshing YA fantasy I didn't realize how much I needed something like this. The premise was interesting and unique and I felt many different feels while reading this story.

I would also like to note that (for me anyway) the synopsis does not do this book justice at all. I really expected this to be more of a fluff fantasy and I ended up putting it off for so long because of it.

Very much looking forward to continuing!
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

Crappy Review Time - This takes place in a sort of reimagined Spanish country with a big splash of desert terrain mixed in. So you've got the adobe villas along with camels and sand storms. The background is religious: every century, "God" (it seems to be a Catholic-y god, but is also kind of undefined), chooses a "bearer" to wear a magic stone in their belly button. The stone appears in infancy and is attached until death. We aren't really sure what the stone does for awhile, but it h
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)

SPOILER ALERT...

Well I don't think I've ever read a book where both the heroines love interests die.. who will she spend forever with now?

The storyline of this book is basically about a princess trying to find out what her role is as a bearer and trying to find a way to save her country from inland enemies who want access to the port for whatever reasons and will stop at nothing to get it. It was never answered why the enemy wanted a complete collection of godstones or why they so desp
Lauren
May 07, 2014 added it
WE NEED DIVERSE BOOKS

There is a special place in my heart for fantasy novels. I love getting lost in a world that exists only because one person dreamed it. There’s nothing more exciting than starting a new book that feels different from anything you’ve read before.

Immediately, I knew that The Girl of Fire and Thorns was one such book. As it opens, the protagonist, Elisa, is worried about fitting into her wedding dress, and praying that her husband will be ugly because she’s so worried she’ll d
Shannon (leaninglights)
I really enjoyed this one! It didn't pull me in right away but I quite enjoyed the second half of the book! Moving along to COE right away!
Robin (Bridge Four)
5/9/16 $2.99 on amazon here

I will preface that I was a little worried about this book when I started. It seemed like there would be some religious intonations and sometimes that can get a bit preachy and be a total turn off for me. I will say that wasn’t the case at all. The Godstone is a part of the story but Elisa is the story. I can truthfully say I never felt preached to or at.

The book starts out with the wedding of a princess to a prince. But she isn’t your normal princess or heroine in boo
Lindsay
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, grief
DNF at 9%. I really wanted to like this book. It's just sad is I begun reading there was just something missing. I don't know what it was. I just didn't really care that much about what happened. And I know I did not read very far but I just didn't care too. It's not a terrible book persay. From where I got to it she's not particularly interesting. And maybe I can't judge because I didn't get part all but I just didn't care. It wasn't like I hated it or anything. I don't know. I definitely wante ...more
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
Fyre – Away From Home
Katie Melua – The Flood
Les Friction – Firewall

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: ugly duckling, Spanish tune, court intrigues, dessert
Fail: too much religion and fat-talks
WOW: MC's transformation
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming, almost zero

Q
Victoria
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
How many fat, introverted, intellectual princesses do we have in YA fantasy lit—-or any fiction, for that matter? I appreciate that Rae Carson went to the effort of writing against type. Despite noble efforts, though, this book is just a pile of fail.

What made me angry with this book? Let me count the ways:

1. Fat hate: I'm sure that overweight readers (especially those who have issues with binging) will identify with Elisa, but I'm really fucking exhausted of every overweight central character i
Summer
Nov 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those with very low standards for YA fantasy
Shelves: fail, fantasy, annoying-mc
I have put off this review long enough. It should be telling enough that to this day I preserve a place in my heart that severely abhors this book; it has left that much of an impact on my anger me.

The reason I read this? I wanted to read a high fantasy book that would be reminiscent of Stolen Songbird, a recent favorite of mine, and wanted to relive the experience but in a different book. Actually--screw it--imma go right out and say that the sole reason I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns was b
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Vessel
  • Fury of the Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #2)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Blood Song (Lharmell, #1)
  • Witchlanders
  • Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)
  • Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave
More about Rae Carson

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Honor from death,” I snap, “is a myth. Invented by the war torn to make sense of the horrific. If we die, it will be so that others may live. Truly honorable death, the only honorable death, is one that enables life.” 264 likes
“I know you hate me. But don't let that make you stupid.” 146 likes