The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

388 views

Comments Showing 1-50 of 631 (631 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:11PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Bones



Team Members:
♦ Teddie (Captain)
♦ Trinia (Co-captain)
♦ Billy "D"
♦ Elizabeth Tarulis
♦ Michelle Lundy
♦ Shamber
♦ Stacey Crudden
♦ Victoria
♦ Treavor

♦ Kim Ascherl



Team Spreadsheet



message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
“Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone




message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments r


message 4: by Teddie (last edited Apr 26, 2017 02:02PM) (new)


message 5: by Teddie (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:00PM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments UNO Cards:
(view spoiler)


message 6: by Teddie (last edited Mar 14, 2017 09:14AM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments March Mini Challenge

Here are the details for the March Mini Challenge!

Countdown to March Mini start


Feb Challenge
(view spoiler)


message 7: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments Reserved for co ;)


message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 387 comments Hey everyone! Trinia, we ended up on the same team!!

I'm really excited for this challenge since I had a lot of fun with it last year. I my last team was pretty amazing so the pressure is on! lol

My shelf is: uno-2017


message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 387 comments And Stacey! I'm glad another wobble teammate made it over!


message 10: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) Hey team! I'm excited about this challenge and this will be my first time doing an Uno Challenge.

Looking forward to playing with you all!

uno-2017 is my shelf.


message 11: by Teddie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Hi Team Bones! Everybody ready for Uno?

Trinia and I will get a tracking sheet up a little later today / tomorrow, and we'll be posting more about gameplay and how we'll plan our hands as a team. In the meantime, we'll be sending you friend requests so we can message you with Team-only info as needed.

Please check in with a post and a little about yourself, along with a link to your Uno shelf, and we'll get Message 4 updated. Message 5 above contains explanations for the requirements for each card, and a link to the spreadsheet is in the first post, so go ahead and take a look at our first hands for the month of February. Once we get our tracking sheet up, we'll talk as a team about planning for the hands. Please only add books to your UNO shelf once they are read.

A little bit about me: I live in Western New York and read a little bit of everything, maybe a bit more fantasy, sci fi and mystery. I can only listen to non-fiction audiobooks - I find the narrators doing the various voices too distracting.

Looking forward to playing with all of you!


message 12: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments Hey All! Or as we say in Texas Y'all!
I've signed on to help Teddie as co-captain for our Bones Team :D

I'm 47, married with 3 boys. Twins who are turning 15 and our youngest at 13. A house full of testosterone teens! I'm an Occupational Therapist but am only working PRN as we live in a very rural area SE of Dallas. Funny tidbit, is I was born a Yankee from the very place Teddie is from. Destiny you say?

I am addicted to reading and love all genres, started as a kid with Judy Blume and then Stephen King. Now I prefer Thrillers, Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi then the others follow in random order.
I read Ebooks and listen to audiobooks voraciously ! If I'm not reading, I'm listening.

This is my first Uno game, but I've played Wobble with Victoria and Stacey. I was captain during that game. I'm also playing other challenges right now, Bingo and Clean Sweep.

I'd like to get the ball rolling on some chatter...
Who has read our book Halfway to the Grave? I have had it on my To Read list and will have to move it up towards the top!
How did you like it? Ratings? No spoilers please ;)



message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 83 comments I'm here! But I'm on my phone at work so will post all my info and shelf when I get home on a real keyboard. :)

Hi Trinia and Victoria! Awesome to see familiar peeps on my team. Looking forward to getting to know the rest of our awesome group!


message 14: by Billy "D" (new)

Billy "D" | 52 comments Hello Team,
Where to start? I'm married with two daughters 13 & 10 yrs. old. I am a fellow Book Addict as we all are. I read almost everything but mostly horror, mystery, historical but always open to other options. Oh yea, I live in southern New Jersey directly across the bridge from Philadelphia.
This will be my first Uno game. Warning: I will need alot of help in some of the basic directions/instructions.
#1- I have no idea how to add my shelf link here. ( See, I'm already high maintenance! lol)

I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm sure it will be fun!


message 15: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments Hey Billy! I'm on my phone right now but will try to send you a message later on my computer on how to do that. Unless Teddie beats me to it ;)
No worries! We'll get you fixed up!


message 16: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Hi Billy! If you click on My Books at the top, then click on your UNO shelf on the left - once that page loads you can copy and paste the url address for your shelf into a thread comment. Now that we are Friends, I can get your shelf as well :)
(Here is a link to some other formatting options you can use if you want.)


message 17: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Stacey wrote: "I'm here! But I'm on my phone at work so will post all my info and shelf when I get home on a real keyboard. :)

Hi Trinia and Victoria! Awesome to see familiar peeps on my team. Looking forward to..."


Hi Stacey! I got your UNO shelf, so no worries about posting it.


message 18: by Teddie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 09:16AM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "Hey team! I'm excited about this challenge and this will be my first time doing an Uno Challenge.

Looking forward to playing with you all!

uno-2017 is my shelf."


Hi Michelle! I hope you have fun with UNO - its a very social (vs uber-competitive challenge) so it's a great low-stress team challenge.

I see you're reading All the Light We Cannot See - how are you enjoying it so far?


message 19: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Victoria wrote: "And Stacey! I'm glad another wobble teammate made it over!"

Hi Victoria! It's always so fun to have teammates reunited for new challenges - what Wobble team were you all on? I was a Leafy Seadragon (a cool creature I had never heard of before that challenge - lol.)


message 20: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) I did a quick hello earlier but here's a little more info.

I'm a 46 year old stay-at-home wife since leaving my middle school teaching job about 4 years ago due to several long-term health issues. I'm married to my high school sweetheart (we've been a couple for 30 years!) and we have 3 grown sons ages 22, 24 and 26. We also have a Chihuahua, a Great Dane and 2 cats. No daughters-in-law or grandchildren yet.

I read a fairly wide array of books but I really love mystery/thriller and historical fiction. And by read, I mean I mostly listen these days.

Also, I'm from Georgia.


message 21: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Trinia wrote: "Who has read our book Halfway to the Grave? I have had it on my To Read list and will have to move it up towards the top!
How did you like it? Ratings? No spoilers please ;) ..."


You know, I read it a few years ago. I think I read it soon after re-reading the Kate Daniels series, which put it at an unfair advantage perhaps. I'm going to give it another shot for this challenge. :)


message 22: by Billy "D" (new)

Billy "D" | 52 comments Teddie wrote: "Hi Billy! If you click on My Books at the top, then click on your UNO shelf on the left - once that page loads you can copy and paste the url address for your shelf into a thread comment. Now that ..."
Thank you, Teddie.


message 23: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) It's really good so far.! I like the narrator.

So this is different from WOBBLE then, huh? LOL

Teddie wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "Hey team! I'm excited about this challenge and this will be my first time doing an Uno Challenge.

Looking forward to playing with you all!

uno-2017 is my shelf."

Hi Michelle!..."



message 24: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "It's really good so far.! I like the narrator.

So this is different from WOBBLE then, huh? LOL ..."


Very - lol. And better yet? No title relays!


message 25: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Teddie wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "It's really good so far.! I like the narrator.

So this is different from WOBBLE then, huh? LOL ..."

Very - lol. And better yet? No title relays!"


Are you sure of that?
There's always the mini-challenges.... ;)


message 26: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments Oh no! Please no title relays ;( lol


message 27: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Annika wrote: "Are you sure of that?
There's always the mini-challenges.... ;) ..."


You're killin' me Annika...

lol


message 28: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Teddie wrote: "Annika wrote: "Are you sure of that?
There's always the mini-challenges.... ;) ..."

You're killin' me Annika...

lol"


Everyone needs a hobby ;)


message 29: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 83 comments Man, now I'm having title relay flashbacks! ;)


message 30: by Billy "D" (new)

Billy "D" | 52 comments How soon will we have our cards? I'm pretty psyched to start finding my first book.


message 31: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments For those who didn't play in the Wobble challenge, title relays were the bane of our existence. They required a team to put together a chain of books where the last word on the preceding book is the first word of the next book. The basic heats required chains of 3, 5, and 7 books .. the bonus was a 20 book chain.

example:
A House to Let
Let the Right One In
In From The Cold
Cold Burn of Magic
Magic, Malice and Murder
Murder on Ice
Ice Dogs


message 32: by Billy "D" (new)

Billy "D" | 52 comments Teddie wrote: "For those who didn't play in the Wobble challenge, title relays were the bane of our existence. They required a team to put together a chain of books where the last word on the preceding book is th..."

Seems like it would be a full time job, just to put it together. Not to mention having to read and choose a book that probably wouldn't be your first choice.....ugh!


message 33: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Billy "D" wrote: "How soon will we have our cards? I'm pretty psyched to start finding my first book."

You can see our February hands in the Team Spreadsheet in message 1. We'll be posting a planning spreadsheet by tomorrow morning, where team members can start to enter the next book (or 2 if you are a 9+ book a month reader) you're planning on reading. The sheet will allow you to mark all the cards for which your book will work. That way, we have a bit of flexibility when filling out the cards.


message 34: by Billy "D" (new)

Billy "D" | 52 comments Ok I tried to get in there earlier and got an email from Annika. She said only the cap and co-cap had access to it.


message 35: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments I couldn't get in either... said "You Need Permission".... just waiting on an email for permission


message 36: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 23, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Comes over to visit then runs all the way back to Team Poirot screaming due to reading the words "title relay" above. AHHHHHHHHHH.

Leaving this picture in my "wake": ;)
Dem Bones, Dem Bones, dem dry bones...



message 37: by Teddie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 01:06PM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Billy "D" wrote: "Ok I tried to get in there earlier and got an email from Annika. She said only the cap and co-cap had access to it."

EDIT: Annika is checking on why you guys can't see the sheet - stay tuned!


Interesting - I thought you guys could at least see it. Ok, the hands will be on the planning sheet that we'll send out later (as well as card totals that we need to hit,) but here are the first 3 hands:
Hand One
0
8
2
6
Reverse
5
Wild

Hand Two
2
6
5
Draw 2
7
7
1

Hand Three
1
Draw 2
Reverse
4
Wild
Skip
5

I'm not sure that we'll get to all the hands this month, but I see a few hands we could skip in order to get the most points possible, if we need.


message 38: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 826 comments Teddie wrote: "Billy "D" wrote: "Ok I tried to get in there earlier and got an email from Annika. She said only the cap and co-cap had access to it."

Interesting - I thought you guys could at least see it. Ok, t..."


YAY!!!!


message 39: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Kirsten wrote: "Comes over to visit then runs all the way back to Team Poirot screaming due to reading the words "title relay" above. AHHHHHHHHHH.

Leaving this picture in my "wake": ;)
Dem Bones, Dem Bones, dem d..."


You goofball :)

Feel free to drop by to "rib" us whenever the mood strikes.


message 40: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Your spreadsheet should now be viewable. Sorry, looks like we posted the edit link and not the sharing link earlier!


message 41: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments UNO Pixie wrote: "Your spreadsheet should now be viewable. Sorry, looks like we posted the edit link and not the sharing link earlier!"

Thank you Annika!


message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Teddie wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Comes over to visit then runs all the way back to Team Poirot screaming due to reading the words "title relay" above. AHHHHHHHHHH.

Leaving this picture in my "wake": ;)
Dem Bones, ..."


Will do, when I think of something humerus to say. ;)


message 43: by Teddie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 02:29PM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Kirsten wrote: "Will do, when I think of something humerus to say. ;)
"


I'm speechless Kirsten.

lol


message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 387 comments Hey everyone, it was good to wake up to all this chatter!

I'm 26 and live in Northern Virginia. I do shift work and currently work nights, which is why I'm on goodreads at odd hours. But, I should return to being a day walker by the time this challenge starts. When I'm not reading I like to go on bike rides, so you may hear me talk about going on various cycling trips. I read just about everything, but I've been really into urban-fantasy and paranormal romances lately. I've also been reading a lot of romance, a genre I never thought I would enjoy.

I recently read Halfway to the Grave and liked it. It wasn't the best, but I thought it did a good job setting up the series. So now I'm almost done with One Foot in the Grave, it's sequel, and I don't know... it's kinda... meh. I had high hopes, but I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series after this. Probably only if the subsequent books fit specific reading challenges.

If you like paranormal romance, however, I think you should at least give the first book a go. Especially since it's our team name! And I will try not to keep thinking of the TV show Bones when I think of our name.


message 45: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments

You should have a DM from me with the link to the planning sheet and some basic how-to's. (I didn't actually start the book, but entered mine with CR as an example.)

If you look at Row 2 on the sheet, you can see the total number of cards we need, so as you are going through the hands, keep an eye out for H, O, F, I, V, E, K or P. If you see a book that you want to read that hits a Draw Two for a hand, please post that on the thread.

If you would prefer NOT to enter books on the spreadsheet, you can:

1) Enter your Finished date and add the book to your UNO shelf
2) Post your finished book details with the associated cards as you can, like:

Book Read: Magic Strikes
Author: Ilona Andrews
Date Finished: 2/1/17
Cards it fits:
1 - character Julie Olsen
3 - 3rd in series
5 - author I
6 - S character Saiman
9 - N character Andrea Nash
Skip - K character Kate Daniels
Reverse - Teddie read this book

If you enter all your book details on the spreadsheet, you don't need to post your books on this thread.

If you have ANY questions, post away here on the thread!


message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2175 comments Just peeking in to say "Hi" from team Jack Torrance.

description

Haha your team picture vs. ours...I won't be jealous...I won't be jealous. Victoria helped me out by telling me "Jack is ok...he's just a little possessed. " Thanks Victoria :)


message 47: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 387 comments Lol, that's one way to peek in. And no problem, still... it's probably best you don't watch that movie..... Now I'm going to scroll to the top of the thread and drool over our picture :D


message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2175 comments /cry....but now that i'm here I'm going to scroll to the top of the thread and drool over your picture too.

Oh and by the way - I think you guys are so lucky to have Teddie as a captain. I saw months off captaining interactions during Wobble and Teddie is amazingly patient, organized, and positive!


message 49: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Suzanne wrote: "/cry....but now that i'm here I'm going to scroll to the top of the thread and drool over your picture too.

Oh and by the way - I think you guys are so lucky to have Teddie as a captain. I saw mon..."


Thanks Suzanne! =)


message 50: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Billy "D" wrote: "Seems like it would be a full time job, just to put it together. Not to mention having to read and choose a book that probably wouldn't be your first choice.....ugh!
.."


It was tricky, and that definitely did happen. For the 20 book chain, someone found a trilogy where each book in the trilogy was called: Never, Never - what I loved is that the whole team committed to reading at least one, usually 2 of the books, so we could make the chain (for mongo points.) And I did end up reading another book that I would have never read if it hadn't been for needing the words for a relay, that ended up being a 5 star book for me: Never Fall Down. But no, relays are not my first choice when looking for book fun ;)


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
back to top