The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 487 (487 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 10, 2017 04:52PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Heathcliff

Team Members:
♦ Louise (Captain)
♦ Ashley (Co-captain)
♦ Paula Reyes (Co-captain)
♦ Anna
♦ Katie
♦ Sophie
♦ Andrea
♦ Gavin

♦ Karin
♦ Rukmani

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
“Lucifer’s bouncing balls, Kitten, not again!
You’re not a woman, you’re the Grim Reaper with red hair!
Come on, Kitten, let’s go. Before you murder someone else.”

― Jeaniene Frost, Halfway to the Grave

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments r

message 4: by Louise (last edited Feb 12, 2017 04:12AM) (new)

message 5: by Louise (last edited Jan 24, 2017 06:00AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments The Cards

O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip or Reverse, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

IMPORTANT
Books must be more than 100 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words using arbookfind.com

message 6: by Louise (last edited Jan 24, 2017 06:00AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Important Information
Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

Main cities, FYI:
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

message 7: by Louise (last edited Jan 25, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments February Cards

HAND 1
9, 8, Skip, 4, Skip, 4, 4

HAND 2
Draw 2, 9, 6, 3, 3, 0, Wild Draw 4

HAND 3
8, 8, 9, 5, Reverse, 8, 9

HAND 4
5, 2, Draw 2, Draw 2, 4, Wild, 6

HAND 5
Draw 2, Reverse, 4, 7, 3, 9, 0

HAND 6
2, 6, 9, Wild Draw 4, 6, 1, Skip

HAND 7
Draw 2, 5, 2, 4, Wild, 8, Reverse

HAND 8
Skip, 8, 8, 5, 2, Skip, 7

HAND 9
2, 7, 7, 1, 1, Skip, Reverse

HAND 10
3, 1, 7, Wild, 1, 4, 3

HAND 11
9, Reverse, Reverse, Reverse, 3, 7, Wild Draw 4

HAND 12
8, 2, 6, Wild Draw 4, 3, 7, 5

HAND 13
Wild, 5, 6, 9, 0, 1, Skip

message 8: by Louise (last edited Feb 13, 2017 12:18AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players.

This challenge has two parts, Find your Valentine and Be my Valentine.

❤ Only books read February 14-28 will count for this challenge.
❤ Please note that books started before Feb-14 don't count for this mini-challenge
❤ The countdown to the start of this mini challenge is here
❤ The usual book length requirement for UNO apply
❤ Complete all tasks and your team gets a bonus 30 points
❤ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands
❤ It would be nice for you to post in your Valentine's team thread to let your valentine know what you are doing (but this is not compulsory).

Part One:
As a team:
❤ Read up to five books your valentine team has read this month for 10 points each
❤ Read up to ten books your valentine team has read in Feb or added in Feb of any year for 8 points each
❤ Read up to fifteen books your valentine team has read that was first published in Feb of any year for 5 points each

Bonus
❤ Read one book that was first published on the 14th of February of any year for 10 points

Part 2:
~~Read books that fit these valentine tasks for 5 points each~~

Each task can only be completed once.
There are 30 tasks to choose from and you can choose up to 15.

The most popular theory about Valentine’s Day origin is that Emperor Claudius II didn’t want Roman men to marry during wartime. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings. For this, Valentine was jailed and executed. While in jail he wrote a note to the jailor’s daughter signing it “from your Valentine”. After St. Valentine was buried, Julia, the daughter of his jailor, planted an almond tree with pink blossoms near his grave. The almond tree today is a symbol of lasting friendship and love.

❤ Read a book where there is a secret wedding
❤ Read a book where a character is in jail
❤ Read a book where a character is named Julia

The earliest description of February 14 as an annual celebration of love appears in the Charter of the Court of Love. The charter, allegedly issued by Charles VI of France at Mantes-la-Jolie in 1400, describes lavish festivities to be attended by several members of the royal court, including a feast, amorous song and poetry competitions, jousting and dancing. Amid these festivities, the attending ladies would hear and rule on disputes from lovers. No other record of the court exists, and none of those named in the charter were present at Mantes except Charles's queen, Isabeau of Bavaria, who may well have imagined it all while waiting out a plague.

❤ Read a book where two characters fall in love
❤ Read a book where there is unrequited love
❤ Read a book where there is a first kiss

In China, Valentine's Day is called lovers' festival. The "Chinese Valentine's Day" is the Qixi Festival, celebrated on the seventh day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar. It commemorates a day on which a legendary cow herder and weaving maid are allowed to be together. In Chinese culture, there is an older observance related to lovers, called "The Night of Sevens" According to the legend, the Cowherd star and the Weaver Maid star are normally separated by the Milky Way (silvery river) but are allowed to meet by crossing it on the 7th day of the 7th month of the Chinese calendar.

❤ Read a book set in China
❤ Read a book first published on the 7th of any month
❤ Read a book first published in July of any year

Based on retail statistics, about 3 per cent of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets.

❤ Read a book where the main character has a pet
❤ Read a book with a 3 in the page count
❤ Read a book where someone gives a gift

If you’re single don’t despair. You can celebrate Singles Awareness Day (SAD) instead. It is meant as an alternative to Valentine’s Day, the holiday is for single people to celebrate or to commiserate in their single status.

❤ Read a book where the main character is, and remains, single
❤ Read a book where characters go on a date
❤ Read a book where the characters go to a dance

Or you could pop over to Finland where Valentine’s Day is called Ystävänpäivä, which translates into “Friend’s day”. It’s more about remembering your buddies than your loved ones.

❤ Read a book where there are a group of 3 or more friends
❤ Read a book where a new friendship is made
❤ Read a book by an author who is known to be a friend of another author (Google is great to find these. Some examples are: Holly Black & Cassandra Clare, Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, F. Scott Fitzgerald & Ernest Hemingway, or Beth Revis & Victoria Schwab)

In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”

❤ Read a book set in the Middle Ages (5th to the 15th century)
❤ Read a book with a young man as the main character
❤ Read a book with a young woman as the main character

Physicians of the 1800s commonly advised their patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining for lost love.

❤ Read a book where a character is a nurse or a Doctor
❤ Read a book written in the 1800s
❤ Read a book with chocolate on the cover

Every Valentine’s Day, the Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet.

❤ Read a book that contains a shakespeare quote
❤ Read a book where the character writes or receives a letter
❤ Read a book based in Italy

The most fantastic gift of love is the Taj Mahal in India. It was built by Mughal Emperor Shahjahan as a memorial to his wife.

❤ Read a book based in India
❤ Read a book where a husband gives his wife a present
❤ Read a book where there is a character who is an Emperor

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments V

message 10: by Louise (last edited Jan 30, 2017 10:46AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Posting Template
Book Read:
Date Read:
Rating:
Card It Can Be Used For: List as many options as possible
For Reverse - Read by: **

message 11: by Louise (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:21AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Welcome to Team Heathcliffe. Looking forward to playing with you all in this game of UNO. A little bit about myself, I live in Wales, which means this game starts in the morning for me, which makes a nice change. This is my second year of UNO and I can't wait to get started.

I will be sending Friend requests to everyone over the next couple of days, please make sure you accept. When you check in please post a link to your UNO shelf. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Hello!
I'm Paula, co-captain, this is my second time playing UNO, I had so much fun last year and it motivated me to read more than I'm use to. I hope we all have a great time this year.

About myself, I'm from Chile, South America, my first language is Spanish and for me the game starts at 5 a.m I believe. I'm a 26 year old chemical engineering student at the University of Chile.

I read a lot of different genres, right now I'm reading Confessions of a shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and Stolen by Lucy Christopher.
My favorite books of all time are the Harry Potter ones, they got me into reading when I was 11. But I also love Pippi Longstocking and Breakfast at Tiffany's among others.

Louise, do you prefer to use a spreadsheet to track what are we reading or not? Last year my team used a ss for it and it worked perfectly.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Paula wrote: "Hello!
I'm Paula, co-captain, this is my second time playing UNO, I had so much fun last year and it motivated me to read more than I'm use to. I hope we all have a great time this year.

About mys..."

Hi Paula, team challenges definitely motivate me to read more. My love of all things Potter got me seriously addicted to team challenges. How are you enjoying Shopaholic. I found this a fun series to read.
I definitely feel a tracking spreadsheet will help, I'll aim to get this done in the next couple of days so that people can start filling in planned reads.

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Morning!

I'm from Kent in the UK, so I get the same morning start as Louise. Having said that time of day makes little difference to me at the moment as I work shifts and switch from day to night and back frequently.

It's the first time I've played UNO and I'm excited to get started and see how it works. At the moment I'm not reading as much as I normally would, but after my exam on Weds that will pick up again - just in time to get started.

I haven't read the shopaholic series - might have to search them out. I will read almost anything (horror is about the only genre I tend to avoid; and increasingly YA).

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Psst
There is a tracking spreadsheet template that we posted in the capatins group which you are welcome to use :)

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments it's been a laugh reading Shopaholic, she's so funny and I love how she lies to herself and she believes herself haha, I'm half way through the book.
The other book I'm reading it's difficult to read, because is about this girl who was kidnapped and writes a letter to his captor and the situation is really stressing for me, it's a good book I really like it, but it's tough to read about what's happening in it. So reading Shopaholic helps a lot to release that stress :P
I saw the ss in the captains group, and is the same we used last year, we could use it now :)

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments this is the link to my shelf
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 230 comments Hello everyone!

I'm living in the US in Pittsburgh, PA. I have 2 small kids, so my reading time is wherever I can grab a few minutes. I tend to mostly read romance and this is my first time playing UNO. I'm really looking forward to it! :)

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Katie - well done on finding any time to read!

Thanks for reminding me about the need for a shelf... https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie | 230 comments Sophie wrote: "Katie - well done on finding any time to read!

Thanks for reminding me about the need for a shelf... https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Lol! Yeah, today isn't a great reading day. I've been having play picnics with my daughter for the past hour and trying to keep my son from actually eating the fake food. You'd think that you can only eat so much wood food...

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Paula - sounds like you need something to relieve the stress; the kipnapping book sounds hard going.

I'm not sure kids have a sense of too much of anything! Can I come play picnics instead of revising?

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments All shelves have been updated, the spreadsheet will be uploaded within the next 24 hours which will allow you to add your books.

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Do you know if the cards on the Feb tab are what we're starting with?

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Hey Sophie & team! *waves* So THIS is where you ended up...? *looks around thoughtfully*

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Hi Kirsten! *looks round* *wonders where you've popped up from* I might have to go searching. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way from the moorland

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Sophie wrote: "Hi Kirsten! *looks round* *wonders where you've popped up from* I might have to go searching. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way from the moorland"

I appear to have gotten off at the wrong station from the Orient Express. ;) (Team Poirot)

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Sophie wrote: "Do you know if the cards on the Feb tab are what we're starting with?"

Yes, I have also posted them above for ease of reference.

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments I have uploaded the spreadsheet which you all should be able to access. Any problems let me know.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments Thanks Louise!

Will start to think about what I've got that can be read for the first hand or 2

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments We are still waiting for Karin and Anna to join us. Hopefully they will drop by soon.

@ Ashley and Paula I will get a thread set up in the Captain's group so we can organise. :)

message 32: by Ana (new)

Ana | 124 comments Hiii! I'm sorry, I was sick this week so I completely forgot to post a message on the group chat! But I'm here now and its nice to meet all of you!

I'm a twenty yo modern literature student and I'm from France, near Paris, so English is not my first language, sadly.
This is my second time playing UNO. I really enjoyed my first participation.

Really excited to be a part of this team!! (I still need to read Wuthering Heights though)

(The link to my UNO shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...)

message 33: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Anna wrote: "Hiii! I'm sorry, I was sick this week so I completely forgot to post a message on the group chat! But I'm here now and its nice to meet all of you!

I'm a twenty yo modern literature student and I'..."

English isn't my first language haha, but we can manage I know, do you read books in frech or in english?
I haven't read Wuthering Heights either (upsi!)

message 34: by Ana (new)

Ana | 124 comments Hey Paula!!
Yeah! We totally can! I read in both languages without problems. How about you?

Haha! Shame on us! Maybe we will read it during the game? MAYBE.

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Hi Anna, welcome to our team. I have to admit I haven't read Wuthering Heights either. Maybe I need to.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments I haven't read wuthering heights either... Feel like maybe we should read it during the challenge

Anna - I hope you're feeling much better now

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie | 230 comments Me either. I don't think I'd join you for a BR, though. Classics and I don't really get along. :P

message 38: by Ana (new)

Ana | 124 comments Same thing...But only with French classics. I find them really boring, idk why...
Don't worry, we can read whatever we want during this challenge haha!

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments I find them hard going frequently. Might resort to listening to it as an audiobook which I sometimes find easier to manage

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments I do enjoy classiscs but I do agree with Ashley, they seem to take forever to read. A Christmas Carol took me the best part of a week to read and it's only around 200pgs.

If I wad to listen on audio it would probably take me longer, every time I've tried listening to an audiobook it lulls me off to sleep.

message 41: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments @ Ashley and Paula I've set up a thread in the Captains group for us

message 42: by Louise (last edited Jan 30, 2017 10:49AM) (new)

Louise | 1135 comments 2 days to go until we kick off. Is everyone ready? Have you been saving any books for this?

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments I have included a posting template here to help us fill the cards easily.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Anna, I read books in both languages too (Spanish and English). reading books in English is so much cheaper for me, because in Chile books are really expensive, so I buy books in bookdepository or Amazon.

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie | 230 comments I haven't taken a good look at anything, but I read a lot so I'm thinking I'll be able to fill in wherever. Excited to start! :)

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Yep, right now I'm choosing what to read first =)

message 47: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments I'll start with La Espera by Camila Valenzuela a chilean author it's pretty short and I've been told it's really good =)

Ashley have you read Pride & Prejudice before?

message 48: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 461 comments I would be excited, but still trying to recover after finishing work at 4 this morning. Currently half way through a book I had hoped to finish by today, but I'll get that done and see what gaps there are to read for next.

message 49: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1135 comments Just finished a book that I 'd started a couple of days ago. Ready to start Iron Kissed

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie | 230 comments I started Hard Hitter today. It will work for one of those skips.

Also, just let me know if I'm doing something wrong. This is my first time playing, so I'm bound to make mistakes. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10