Start by marking “Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)” as Want to Read:
Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)

Paper and Fire

(The Great Library #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  6,958 Ratings  ·  1,066 Reviews
Let the world burn.

With an iron fist, the Great Library controls the knowledge of the world, ruthlessly stamping out all rebellion and, in the name of the greater good, forbidding the personal ownership of books.

Jess Brightwell has survived his introduction to the sinister, seductive world of the Library, but serving in its army is nothing like he envisioned. His life and
Published July 5th 2016 by New American Library

YA Novels of 2016
1,291 books — 9,619 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,301 books — 6,911 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Another series that opened with a great concept and now doesn’t know what to do with it.

I saw it in series like Ee's Angelfall and Green's Half Bad. These books introduce us to vivid, fascinating worlds that captivate us, and then the sequels begin to wander aimlessly. Ink and Bone was full of secrets, alchemy, villains and books, set in a unique world where the Great Library of Alexandria (Egypt) rules. Paper and Fire is predictable, forgettable and kind of boring.

The first book rode the wave o
Lola
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

The first shelf of books was fully on fire with licks of greenish-white flame. The second above it smoked, and Jess could see paper blackening and curling at the edges.

Book after book.

Level after level.

*Gasp* If that’s not every bibliophile’s nightmare, I don’t know what is.

The sequel to Ink and Bone is ten times more cryptic, intense and brutal than the first book in The Great Library series. Ever single character is unceasingly looking over their shoulders to make sure
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Click here and maybe win a paperback copy of Ink and Bone (US ONLY)

The novelty wore off. Sadly, if it stayed entertaining, Paper and Fire confirmed the complaints I had with Ink and Bone, and lost a little of its charm along the way.

✔ As it was the case with the first book, we're on for a ride in a fast-paced and action-packed story which manages to stay out of boredom territory at all times. It is addictive and that's rare enough to point.

Moreover, alternative history is my jam, so it doesn't
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
As one from Alexandria, Egypt..

I was so invested in this Alternate/Destopia Alexandria's Great Library Series.
With first book that has spirit of "Harry Potter" mixed with "451 Fahrenheit".

A World perfectly built, beautifully Alternate Alexandria, Tyranny Library, Forbidden Knowledge, Mystical Alchemy Powres, Wars and Rebellions.
With vast diversity of interesting characters..all in less than 350 pages only.

But Then came a sequel wasted precious ‘Papers’ without catching interesting enough ‘Fire’.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just the thought of burning books makes me cringe!

I actually liked this second book better than the first. There is so much going on in this book I don't even know where to begin.

Jess Brightwood and Glain Wathen are training to be High Garda's. Jess has got things going on the side as he always does. He's trying to find information about their friend Thomas Schreiber and he finds it and it's not good.

I mean in this world these poor people live in I would never want to be a part of because the
C.G. Drews
Well that was EXCITING, I must say. I'm actually terrified of sequels and the dreaded Sequel Blues™....but honestly??? This was GLORIOUS. It was exciting and had high stakes and was jam packed with emotion and war and betrayal. Plus excellent pacing. I kind of felt Ink and Bone had a lot of slowish moments, but this was just GO (!!) GO (!!) GO (!!!!!) until I honestly need a small year's rest to recover. Excuse me, I just ran a marathon.

So Jess continues to be an excellent favourite! I'm so sad
Alyssa
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
GIVEAWAY: win in a copy of Ink and Bone!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine
Book Two of The Great Library series
Publisher: NAL
Publication Date: July 5, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

In Ink and Bone, New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine introduced a world where knowledge is power, and power corrupts absolutely. Now, she continues the story of those who dare to defy the Great Library—and rewrite history…

W
Carrie
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Paper and Fire is the second book in the Great Library series by Rachel Caine. In the first book, Ink and Bone, we are introduced to a world in which The Great Library is in every city and controls the books of the world. Using alchemy to distribute the books those working for the library track down anyone with any in their possession and confiscate the materials. Ownership of books is expressly forbidden and anyone violating this law could even be sentenced to death.

Jess Brightwell's family ha
Phrynne
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 4000-books
I was really looking forward to this book but sadly I found it to be just average. It definitely suffered from second book syndrome and actually only moved the story forward a little bit. Most of the time I felt I was on some kind of roller coaster with the main characters repeatedly getting into danger, then escaping only to find themselves in more danger and escaping again.........endlessly.
As with the first book I felt no attachment to any of the characters. To me they seemed bland and unfor
Shaina
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, have-own, paperback
I love these books! The Great Library rules, automatons patrol, & there are so many different countries centered around the written word ; and so many books being the very centerpiece of life. I cannot wait until July. I've liked this author's writing before but she really had something here.
This world she has built is amazement on every page and I can't wait to read Ash and Quill.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Paper and Fire wasn’t quite what I wanted it to be…no hear me out. There was action, action, action and talking, talking, talking but no plot movement or story progression. Sure I like the characters but not enough that I didn’t want to see the arcs moving forward.

Part of the magic of Ink and Bone was all the kids together completing for a career. It is them against the world and the competition is fierce but so too are the friendships forged. It always felt like the story was moving forward.

Pap
Helena ✰ FC
WOAH. Talk about fast-paced action! Needless to say, this book did not suffer from middle-book-syndrome. It was so exciting and had me at the edge of my seat! There were so many twists and turns, deceptions and betrayals! It was complete and utter perfection!

Jess was, as usual, the cinnamon roll we know and love. He isn’t a Scholar surrounded by the books he loves, but is a soldier in the High Garda, the Great Library’s army. His eyes have been opened to the cruelty and oppression that is the Li
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, torture (off screen, but mentioned), imprisonment, blood, mentions of attempted suicide. I think that's all?

31/7/2018
God, this series is so freaking good. So, so good. Seriously. So good.

20/7/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this up to 5 stars. I'm not sure whether it was the knowledge that I could immediately pick up the next book that meant I didn't feel the Middle Book Syndrome as much or if it was simply that I read it at a different pace. But whatever it was, I loved
Melindam
Loved this 2nd installment of The Great Library series. It was not quite as impressive and powerful as Book 1, but it came close. I checked the reviews before I started reading and quite a lot of them mentioned the 2nd-book-syndrome, so I had some apprehensions, but I never really noticed anything. I loved the more detailed world-building, the characters and how the story was evolving and never felt bored, but always wanted to get more.

More detailed review to come.
Suzanne
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sequel! It was better than the first book and now I cannot wait till January for the third book. It was funny and action filled. The characters are so intriguing that you cannot help but be enthralled by their banter and adventure.
Ronda
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another exceptional installment from The Great Library series, Ink and Bone being the first and Paper and Fire giving us book 2.

I, personally, loved Ink and Bone, it gave me a promising start to a brand new world created from a history that changed our present day and Paper and Fire continued the perilous journey of the Library's new recruits, their scholar and their allies.

I love the way that Rachel Caine portrays this world, I love the thoughts/concepts behind the history and it scares me
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
The world Rachel Caine has breathed into life in these books continues to astound me. I can't wait to see what happens in the next one! And I'm thinking I may need copies of these on my shelves... you know, in case someone ever comes along and starts destroying books, maybe I'd turn into a smuggler :P Really though I barely know what to say about this except that it seems to have taken what we learned in book one and ratcheted everything UP. The action is nonstop, the pacing is excellent, the ch ...more
Carlos
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot . It is a good sequel, full of action and adventure. In this reality, the library holds the power and all the knowledge and keeps it from reaching the people, the main characters see their roles change as their perception of the library changes with all they go throughout the book . We see familiar faces and faces we thought we wouldn't see again , if you haven't read this series yet, I recommend you do! .
Karen
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
For more reviews and other mind vomit go to my site at KissinBlueKaren

Paper and Fire starts off right where Ink and Bone left off. Jess is in the service of library as a High Garda (aka soldier used to protect the books of the library and it’s scholars). Paper and Fire continues to explore what would have happened if the great library in Alexandria had never burned down, and if the library had all the power and knowledge in the world. Jess is joined by a bunch of other students who have gradua
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Considering that the first book Ink and Bone was one of my favourite reads for 2017, I was feeling both excited and nervous to dive into the sequel. We continue on from the events with Jess Brightwell as the main character and is now serving in a military role in Alexandria but on a mission gone wrong, he and all of his friends have to escape in order to survive. You do need to read Ink and Bone before Paper and Fire otherwise you will get spoiled! As before, I do find the long length chapters t ...more
Yodamom
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved book one, this one, not so much. There was a lot of running around, escaping, getting caught, escaping again, running, getting caught......and never really getting anywhere. the endless loop of the same thing over and over. It felt like a filler. Ouch that hurt to say I love this author but shoot me out of the canon it was a circus of escaping escapades. One of the characters who the story would have had difficulty going on without came back, it's a miracle ! Yeh it was too conv
The Book Queen
'Want to read'.

Hahahahahahaha UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY.

I do not 'want to read' this book. I need to read this book. I have never wanted a sequel this much in my life and it is wonderful.

Edit:

OH EM GEE IT HAS A COVER! AND A SYNOPSIS! AND THE COVER IS FAB AND IT MATCHES INK AND BONE! AND THE SYNOPSIS SOUNDS FANTASTIC GAH I AM EXCITED

P.S. That tag line thing?

"Let the world burn."

I am about to die of excitement.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/07/23/...

I had a lot of books on my must-read list this year, but perhaps few were as highly anticipated as this follow-up to Ink and Bone, which was one of my favorite reads of 2015. Having learned from experience though, I approached Paper and Fire with realistic expectations despite the immense excitement of being able to visit the world of The Great Library again. The first book was just such a phenomenon for me, and I knew i
Justine
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
A very solid middle book that picks up shortly after the events of Ink and Bone. The story remains fast-paced and engrossing, but I didn’t like it quite as much as the first book. The ending is tense, leaving the main characters in a state of uncertainty and peril, but it is a nice set up for the final installment of the trilogy.
Danielle (Love at First Page)

4-4.5 stars

Wow! Brilliant, clever, captivating, exciting... I love this series and these characters so much! The wait for the third book is going to feel so long!
Anne
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Where to start? After last week's fangirling over the first book, I guess the first thing I'm going to mention here is that this one doesn't have the same quality as the first one. It's still a great read, but not one that gets the full 5 brownies from me.

The story picks up about 3-6 months after the ending of Ink and Bone.

(view spoiler)
Lauren Stoolfire
I won an ARC copy of this novel through Goodreads Giveaways. Thanks very much, Goodreads!

Serving in the High Garda is nothing like Jess Brightwell expected. He survived his studies as a postulant under Scholar Wolfe, but now everything has changed. His best friend is gone and Morgan has been taken away to the Iron Tower. When Jess and his allies receive word that all might not be lost, they undertake a daring rescue mission that will place them in an even more dangerously precarious position wit
☕ Kimberly
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I reviewed Ink and Bone, you may remember I noted that the novel reminded me of Harry Potter and particularly its characters. In my mind, I pictured some of the characters in this trilogy as beloved characters from the Potter series. That trend continues as Caine continued to develop this motley crew. These similarities whether purposeful or not only enhanced my overall reading experience.

Intense, filled with death, danger, and horrifying images for any book lover, I quickly became immersed
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I adored the first book in this series Ink and Bone, it was captivating. So well written and right up my wheel house. I loved the rich historic feel to it and the steampunk tendencies. It was everything I was looking for and more than I could have imagined, which, is why I jumped right into the sequel without hesitation and with expectations running high.

I can say with absolute honesty that I adored Paper and Fire, maybe even more so than Ink and Bone. I don't even know where to begin with just
Wanda
Not surprisingly, the second book of The Great Library series is slightly less awesome than the first book. But having said that, the first was so overwhelming—that’s a difficult standard to maintain.

However, Caine keeps the Library overbearing, uncaring, and brutal, exactly what it needs to be in this dystopian world. Even those that should be trustworthy are sometimes traitorous and support comes from unexpected quarters. Difficult choices must be made—who to save, who to leave behind, who to
  • The Sight (Devil's Isle, #2)
  • The Shadow Hour (The Girl at Midnight, #2)
  • Spectacle (Menagerie, #2)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cursed Queen (The Impostor Queen, #2)
  • The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
  • Unwanted (Elemental Assassin, #14.5)
  • Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)

The Great Library (5 books)
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)
  • Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library #5)
“Hard habit to break, friendship.” 9 likes