The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2014 > Summer Challenge 2014: Tasks

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 17, 2014 07:41AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10974 comments 5.1 - Red: When I am an old woman...
Help Thread
In 1997, artist Sue Ellen Cooper gave a friend a 55th birthday gift consisting of a red hat and a copy of Jenny Joseph's poem "Warning". The opening lines of the poem read:
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
Cooper repeated the gift on request several times, and eventually several of the women bought purple outfits and held a tea party on April 25, 1998. Thus began the Red Hat Society (RHS), a social organization for women aged 50 and beyond. In honor of the RHS's founding tea party, read a book first published in 1998.

5.2 - Pink: Celebrating the Female
Help Thread
According to surveys in Europe and the United States, pink, especially when combined with white or pale blue, is the color most commonly associated with femininity. Read a book with the genre "feminism" or "womens" on its main page. The genre "womens" must stand alone (i.e., the genre "womens fiction" will not work).

5.3 - Orange: Wave a Flag
Help Thread
The color orange can be made by mixing the colors red and yellow. Read a book set in a country that has either the color orange or both the colors red AND yellow on its official flag. For the purposes of this task, we will use these flags: Flags of the World
Required: Identify the country when you post.

5.4 - Yellow: They Call Me Mellow Yellow
Help Thread
Yellow is the color most associated with optimism and pleasure; it is a color designed to attract attention, and for amusement. The song, Mellow Yellow, by Scottish singer, songwriter and guitarist, Donovan, has always made me smile. Read a book with a title/subtitle that contains a word found in one of the tracks of the original Mellow Yellow album by Donovan. Words must match exactly. The following words are excluded: in, of, the, and.
Required: Identify the track used when you post.

5.5 - Green: It's Not Easy Being Green
Help Thread
Read a book with a title that is at least a 3 words long in which the first letters of ALL of the words in the title can be found in KERMIT THE FROG. Subtitles should be ignored. Letters may be used more than once.

5.6 - Blue: Most Popular
Help Thread
In U.S. and European public opinion polls, blue is overwhelmingly the most popular color, chosen by almost half of both men and women as their favorite color. Read a book found on the first 5 pages of the Popular Favorite Books list.
Required: Identify the page you found the book on when you post.

5.7 - Brown: Chocolates and Coffee on the Beach
Help Thread
Brown is a composite color made by combining red, black and yellow. The color is seen widely in nature, in wood and in soil. Also in two of my favorite food groups: chocolate and coffee. Read a book with one of the following words found intact in the title/subtitle or author's name: brown, sand, chocolate, coffee.

5.8 - Violet: Barely Visible
Help Thread
The color violet is at the higher end of the visible spectrum, with a wavelength between approximately 380-450 nanometers. Read a book that contains between 380 and 450 pages (as stated on Goodreads).
NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or listen to an audiobook, use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

5.9 - Black: Whiskers and Witches
Help Thread
August 17 is "Black Cat Appreciation Day." In folklore, the black cat is often viewed as a companion, or a familiar, to witches. Read a book with a black cat on the cover or with the genre "witches" on the book's main page.
Required: If using the cover option, include the cover in your post.

5.10 - White: Lounging Around
Help Thread
When I picture my perfect summer day, I see a porch swing piled high with soft white pillows, a ceiling fan turning lazily overhead, and a stack of good books within arm's reach. Read a book with a chair, bench, couch, or porch swing on the cover.
Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3) by Heather Webber Home Sweet Home (Emerald Lake #1) by Bella Riley Last Chance Book Club (Last Chance, #5) by Hope Ramsay Too Good to Be True by Kristan Higgins The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood What She Wants (Life in Icicle Falls, #3) by Sheila Roberts Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews
Required: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited May 16, 2014 09:19PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18022 comments Mod
10 point tasks

10.1 I Scream, You Scream
Help Thread
We all scream for ice cream! Read a book where the author's first and last initials are found in ICE CREAM. Middle initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as the appear (2E, 2C)

10.2 Something Strange in the Neighborhood
Help Thread
June 7, 1984- the movie Ghostbusters was first released in the U.S. Read a book with the genre Paranormal on the main page genre listing OR with “ghost” in the title, subtitle, or book description. Plurals, possessives and compound words that preserve the meaning of "ghost" work. The genre Paranormal may be embedded or stand-alone; sub-genres that include "paranormal" also work.

10.3 The More the Merrier
Help Thread
Summer is the perfect time to get together with friends and family. Read a book that depicts at least 3 people on the cover. ex.
Cotillion by Georgette Heyer The Wives of Los Alamos by TaraShea Nesbit Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland
Required Include the cover in your post.

10.4 Across the Ages
Help Thread
The television adaptation of Outlander is expected to premiere in the US on August 9, 2014 . Read a book about time travel. The genre “Time Travel” must be found on the main page genre listing or time travel must be mentioned explicitly in the book’s description.

10.5 This Could Take A While
Help thread
The original Trivial Pursuit game set included 1,000 question-and-answer cards. Read a book with a number greater than or equal to 1,000 in the title or subtitle. Numbers may be written (thousand) or in numeral form (1,000) Plurals and hyphenated numbers work (millions, million-dollar) Years like 1984 work. ex. A Thousand Acres, A Million Suns

10.6 D-Day
Help thread
June 6, 2014 is the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Read a book with a title that begins with a word that starts with the letter D. Articles (A, An, The, etc) count as words and must be considered. ex. Dark of Night, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

10.7 From the Source
Help Thread
Trivial Pursuit was created in December 1979 in Montreal, Quebec, by Canadian Chris Haney, a photo editor for Montreal's The Gazette, and Scott Abbott, a sports editor for The Canadian Press. Read a book predominately set in Canada or written by an author who was born or lives in Canada.

10.8 Question Everything
Help Thread
Trivial Pursuit is a game of questions. Read a book with one of the following: who, what, where, when, why, how, "?" in the title or subtitle. Contractions work (who's, where'd) ex. Where'd You Go, Bernadette, When Will There Be Good News?, Krik? Krak!

10.9 Isthmus Test
Help Thread
On August 15, 1914 the Panama Canal opened- an international waterway that allows ships to pass between the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean.

Read a book with an outdoor scene that depicts a body of water on the cover. The body of water should appear large enough to float a boat that could hold one adult (no toys). A coastline/water's edge, horizon line or boat must be visible.
The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Required Include the cover when you post

10.10 Required Summer Reading
Help Thread
Don't worry, there's no required essay. Read a book with the genre Literature or Literary Fiction on the main page genre listing. Regional literature genres like "European Literature" work. The genre may be embedded or stand-alone.

message 3: by Sandy (last edited May 17, 2018 03:12AM) (new)

Sandy | 16424 comments Mod
15 point tasks:

15.1 - Moms and Dads
Help Thread
Read two books:
Book A, by a female author, must be written during your mother's lifetime, but not your own. Ex. - my mother was born in 1933 and I was born in 1953, so I would read a book by a female author first published in 1933-1952.
AND
Book B, a book written by a male author, during your father's lifetime, but not your own.

You need not state the exact years if you don't want to, but you must state in your post that the book was first published during your mother's/father's lifetime and before you were born.

15.2. If They Like It, Maybe I Will
Help Thread
Go to Good Minds Suggest, a GR feature in which authors provide lists of their favorite books. Read 2 books:
A. Read a book by one of the authors providing recommendations in this feature,
AND
B. Read one of the books recommended by the author of Book A. If the author recommends a series, you may read any book in that series.

15.3. In honor of America's Independence Day (July 4th)...
Help Thread
A. Stars - Each star on the American flag stands for one of the 50 states in the nation...Read a book that has the name of a U.S. state in the title or in the author's name. Examples: Gods in Alabama, Washington Irving
AND
B. Stripes - Each of the 13 stripes on the American flag stands for one of the original 13 colonies: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island. Read a book set in one of those states.

OR
Read one book that fits both criteria.

REQUIRED: You must use different states for A and B.

15.4. Double Trouble
Help Thread
Since "summer" has a repeated letter in it, read
A. A book the title/subtitle of which contains a word with a double vowel. The vowel must be repeated immediately in the word, not just somewhere in the word. Example: Cartwheel - double "e."
AND
B. A book the title/subtitle of which contains a word with a double consonant, repeated immediately in the word. Example: Innocent Traitor - double "n"

OR
Read one book that meets the criteria for A and B - title contains a word with a repeated vowel and one with a repeated consonant. Example: Tapping the Dream Tree (double "p" in Tapping, double "e" in Tree).

15.5 - Where Was that Again?
Help Thread
The wikipedia page on 'trivia' mentions a few colleges where large-scale trivia contests have been held. Appropriately enough, these colleges appear in a tri-o of states: Colorado, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin. Read a book set in any one of these states.

15.6- I'm Flying!
Help Thread
July 24 is Amelia Earhart's birthday. Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) in which an aviator is a central character, or one with a plane on the cover.
REQUIRED: If you choose the cover option, include the cover in your post.

15.7- "In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
Help Thread
June 7, 1893 marks the date of Gandhi's first act of civil disobedience, in South Africa. He then took the lessons he had learned to India, and became famous for nonviolent civil disobedience.

Read a book that is primarily set in India or is written by an author who was born or lives in India.

15.8 - It's All About the Facts!
Help Thread
Trivial Pursuit is all about facts, trivial though they may be. Read a nonfiction book, with one of the original trivial pursuit genres listed on its main page - geography, entertainment, history, arts or literature, science or nature, sports or leisure.

15.9 - Decisions, Decisions...
Help Thread
Don't know what to read next? Go to this site What Should I Read Next?. Enter a book that you have rated 4 or 5 stars, and read one of the recommendations provided.

REQUIRED: In your post, list the name of the book that you started with.

15.10 - Fun in the Sun.
Help Thread
Read a book of your choice, in a favorite summer spot - anywhere you can relax and enjoy yourself!

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 08, 2014 04:02AM) (new)

20 point tasks

20.1 Most Improved Player - Hana C.'s Task: Operation!
Help Thread
Operation is a fun skill-based game in which the player attempts to remove various "ailments" from a patient with tweezers, without touching the sides of the cavity the ailment is in and setting off a buzzer.

In honor of the game that I've spent many hours playing with my family, pick one of the following "ailments" (options) and read one book that fits that option.

1. Broken Heart: Cure the patient's broken heart by reading a book with the genre "Romance*" on the main book page.

2. Charley Horse: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or with the genre "Western*" on the main book page.

3. Funny Bone: Read a book with the genre "Humor*" on the main book page.

4. Writer's Cramp: Read a book with a book, either by itself or with many others on a shelf or in a stack, on the cover.
The Rise & Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

*Genres may be embedded or stand-alone.

Required: Indicate the option. If you pick a cover option, include the cover when you post.

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

NOTE: Books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

20.2 – Rookie at the Top – Pamela3265’s task: Exploring America's National Park System
Help Thread
I grew up near Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and worked 15 miles from the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park during the summer of 1988 which became known as the “Summer of Fire”. I have a National Park Passport and have been fortunate to be able to visit several Parks, Monuments, and National Historic Sites outside of my local area. Because of these visits, I’ve developed a great love for the United States National Park System. For this challenge, I thought it would be fun to explore some of our National Parks.

For the options below we will use the following list:
National Parks of the United States

This is a one book task. Please select one of the options below.

Option 1: Read a fictional book set in a National Park. At least 50% of the book needs to be set in the National Park.

Required: Identify which National Park the book is set in.

Option 2: Read a non-fiction book about the National Park System or one of our National Parks.

Examples: The National Parks: America's Best Idea,
Grand Canyon Ghost Stories: Spooky Tales about Grand Canyon National Park
Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park,
Before They're Gone: A Family's Year-Long Quest to Explore America's Most Endangered National Parks

Option 3: Read a book with a title/subtitle that contains a word found in a name of a National Park found on the National Parks of the United States list. Words must match exactly, but "Saint" may also be used for "St." The following words are excluded: of, the.

Required: Identify the National Park.

Optional Activity: Identify your favorite National Park.

Required: Indicate the option.

20.3 - Best Review - Paul's task: General Turkey
Help Thread
When summer comes around, so do the jam band festivals. One of the best jam bands today is Hypnotic Clambake. Have a listen to General Turkey
They hold an outdoor music festival each summer in upstate New York.

So, while you are listening to your favorite jam band, or attending one of the many summer music festivals across the country, you can be reading a book for this task !

Read one book of at least 250 pages with a title/subtitle that contains one or more words of at least four letters that can be made from the letters in HYPNOTIC CLAMBAKE.

You may only use a letter as many times as it appears in the band name. For example, you may use CLAM but not CLAMMY.

Here are some examples of books that work for this task:

Dave Barry Talks Back (285 pages, contains the word BACK in the title). hypnotic ClAmBaKe

On the Beach (296 pages, contains the word BEACH in the title) HypnotiC clAmBakE

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or listen to an audiobook, use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

Required: State the word from the title/subtitle that you used.

20.4 - Author! Author! - Valorie's Task: Word Trivia: Name That Word!
Help Thread
Choose ONE of the the options below and read one book.

Note: NO books with the “childrens” or “kids” genre, regardless of length.

1. Onomatopoeia: A word that phonetically imitates, resembles or suggests the source of the sound that it describes.

Read a book with an onomatopoeia** in the title or subtitle.
**Please make sure your word appears on this list: Onomatopoeia Plurals and possessives are OK, but no other variations.

Examples:Devil Said Bang (Bang), Drip Dead (Drip), and Flutter (Flutter).

2. Palindrome: A word, phrase, number or any other sequence of units which has the property of reading the same forwards as it does backwards.

Read a book with a single word palindrome of 3 or more letters in the title, subtitle, or author's name. Here is a helpful list: Palindromic words
Examples: Dead Level (Level), The Good Citizen: A History of American Civic Life The Good Citizen: A History of American Civic Life (Civic), and Highland Destiny by Hannah Howell (Hannah).

3. Homonym: A word that is both spelled and pronounced the same, but has different meanings.

Read a book with a homonym from this list of True Homonyms in the title, subtitle, or author's name. Plurals and possessives are OK, but no other variations.
Examples: The Sign (Sign), and Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered (Remote), andFlat-Out Love by Jessica Park (Park).

Required: Indicate the option and state the word that meets the criterion

message 5: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2014 03:45AM) (new)

20.5 Bigger is Better Book Concierge’s Task: Celebrating My Parents
Help Thread
Both my parents have summer birthdays, so I’ve chosen to help celebrate their birthdays by creating options that are based on their lives.

Chose ONE task from the options below.
The book must be a minimum of 250 pages long.
NO books with the “childrens” or “kids” regardless of length.

OPTION A: My father was born in Mexico and grew up on a farm in Texas. He fought in WW2, spending 33 months in the Pacific theater, and making seven landings with MacArthur. His services took him from Australia to New Guinea, the Philippines and finally Japan. He was with one of the first units to go to Hiroshima after the war to help with clean-up.

Read a book set primarily in Mexico, Japan, Australia, New Guinea or the Philippines.

OPTION B: My mother was one of nine siblings. From an early age her mother impressed on Mother the need to get a good education. As an adult she worked for the U.S. Air Force as a systems analyst and was a tireless community volunteer. She founded a professional organization for the Latino women of her city to facilitate networking and supporting one another.

Read a book with the genre “education” or “feminism” on the main page (can be embedded or stand-alone).

OPTION C: Both my parents loved music. My father had a wonderful singing voice and played the trombone in his high school band. My mother always had the radio or stereo playing constantly at home. They both loved to go dancing. They would pay the Mariachi bands to play song after song at their table when they went to a restaurant, and sometimes my Dad would even sing to Mother.

Read a book with the genre “music” or “dance” on the main page (can be embedded or stand-alone).

REQUIRED Indicate the option.

20.6 Seasoned Reader - KSMary's Task: The Colors of Trivial Pursuit
Help Thread
The original genus edition of Trivial Pursuit is my favorite game EVER. In fact, we still have the game. The original pie pieces were brown, yellow, blue, pink, green and orange.

For this task, read a book with one of the original colors: brown, yellow, blue, pink, green, or orange in the title, subtitle or author's name. The color must be a stand alone word. NO plurals, possessives or other variations may be used and it cannot be hyphenated or found within other words. Series titles are NOT allowed.

One of the greatest things about the SRC challenge is the new books that we find, so I do request that the book you choose for this task is not a reread. You CAN use an author that you have read before.

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

Required: State that this book is new to you when you post.

20.7 Shorter is Sweeter - Jecca's Task: The Brady Bunch
Help Thread
On June 1, 2014 Ann B. Davis died. She was better known as, Alice, from The Brady Bunch. While I was not alive during the original airing of this popular sitcom, I have seen every episode (including the movie and other spin-offs). As the beginning of the Summer Challenge is kicked off by the passing of an American icon I decided to base my challenge on this popular show. Alice is after all the fictional woman every mother wishes she had around.

For the five years the show originally aired I have crafted five options, you may pick any one of these and read one book.

1. 1969 – In September of 1969, The Brady Bunch made its premiere on television. 1969, also happens to be the same year my husband was born. For this option, read a book by an author that was born in 1969 or a book that was first published in 1969. Any date that appears on the GR author profile will be used before an outside source date.
Required: If using the author birthdate, include a reference if the author's birthdate is not on his/her GR profile.

2. 1970 – During season two of the show there was an episode where Jan pretended that she had a boyfriend named “George Glass” because the person she really liked didn't like her back. Jan was the first “person” I knew of who had a fictional boyfriend but surely not the last. I currently have a new fictional boyfriend every few weeks or so and I find him in the books that I read. For this option, find your next fictional boyfriend/girlfriend by reading a book from one of these lists
Best Book Boyfriend
Best Book Girlfriend

Required: Identify the list and the book's numbered position

3. 1971 – “Getting Davy Jones” aired and according to Wikipedia, in 1997 this episode was ranked 37th of TV Guide’s Greatest Episodes of All-time. That is quite an honor for a show that had been syndicated for over 20 years and goes to show that sometimes oldies can still be goodies. Oldie books are often described as classics.
So for this option, read a book that has the genre ‘classics’ listed on its main book page. Ex. The Taming of the Shrew or Dracula

4. 1972 – There is an episode during this season in which Alice is temporarily replaced by another maid. Because there is no replacement for the real thing, the children set out to get Alice back. This episode was about the importance of Alice, so for this option read a book that is about a maid, housekeeper or "one employed to manage the domestic duties involved in maintaining a house". Cooks, drivers, au-pairs, etc. who have limited household responsibilities would NOT work. The maid must be a main character or play a major role in the book. Ex. The Help, The Housekeeper and the Professor
This list may help Housekeepers, but not every book on this list may work for this task.

Required: If it is not clear from the book description please indicate how your book fits this task.

5. 1973 – The final year of the show marked the beginning of another era. The show did better in its after-life than it did while it was live. There were a number of spin-offs, parodies and memorabilia that came well after the series finally ended.
For this task, read a book that is a spin-off of another series or book.
A spin-off will be defined as when a character or element (setting, magical ability, etc) from one book or series of books takes on a life of its own in its own book or series. They are NOT retellings or parodies. Books within a series are not spin-offs. Ex. Wicked Nights a spin-off of the Lords of the Underworld series or Eternal Rider a spin-off of the Demonica series; Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West a spin-off of Oz or March a spin-off of Little Women
Required: Include a link to the book or series that inspired the spin-off.

Required: Indicate the option

message 6: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 09, 2014 03:59AM) (new)

20.8 – It’s My Birthday! – Shelby’s Task: FUN or FANTASTIC it’s got to be one and preferable both!
Help Thread
So it’s that time of year again. It’s my birthday! :D I was one of those kids who absolutely loved when her birthday fell. I mean it put my birthday directly opposite the other big gift giving day in a child’s life. My cousin’s birthday is three days after Christmas…ugh! No fun! So since my birthday falls in such a FUN and FANTASTIC time (IT’S SUMMER!), let’s try and have a little fun with this task. Debate all you like, but choose ONE option below to dive into.

REQUIRED: Indicate the option.

1. ODD NUMBERS – So I know this is going to be a FANTASTIC year for me. See I have this thing about odd numbers, and my favorite is 3. Well this year I turn 33. The stars just have to align for this one to be FANTASTIC. So this time we’re going to honor of all my favorite odd numbers in my birthdate (7/27/1981).
Read a book whose page numbers have at least 2 of the numbers from my birthdate or age (1,2,3,7,8,9)
-->But.....there’s a catch, the page count must end with an odd number (1,3,5,7,9).
-->Duplicate numbers may only be used if they appear twice in my birthdate/age (i.e. 1, 3, 7)
-->The final odd number does not have to be one of the ones in my numbers as long as the other two numbers in the page count are from the list. (aka you could read a book that’s 325pgs, but not 352pgs)

REQUIRED: State your page count when you post.

2. PROFESSION – Most of my friends on here know this, but for the rest of you I’m an actor/producer in Los Angeles. I love what I do! I think filmmaking falls into the FUN requirement of this task so for this option read a book about someone in film. This could be a non-fiction book about someone in/some part of the film industry or it could be fiction and one of the main characters works in film somehow. If you’re having trouble you can always check out Popular Film Books for ideas.

REQUIRED: State how the book fits if it’s not clear in the GR description.

3. IT’S SUMMER – I think my birthday falls in the best part of the year! It’s the time for vacations, the time to get away and have some FUN. For this task choose a book that either takes place in some exotic locale outside your home country that you’ve always wanted to visit, your next dream vacation destination one might say,
OR that has a cover with either a beach, palm trees, or a lion (arbitrary, but I’m a Leo so we’re gonna go with it) on it.

REQUIRED: If you choose the vacation explain why your destination works, OR if you choose the cover include it in your post.

OPTIONAL: Grab your favorite summer time drink, throw on the bathing suit and head outside to your nearest body of water be that the ocean, lake, river, or the pool in the backyard and dip your feet in the water while you sip your drink and relax with your book. :D

20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Lene's Task: Tour De France
Help Thread
I’m a big sports fan, so for me one of the highlights of the summer is following the Tour de France on TV. One day I hope to go to France and watch at least some of the event live, but for now I enjoy watching it from home. This year’s tour will be the 101th edition and will start on July 5th and end in Paris on July 27th.

For this task we’ll be honoring this big annual sporting event. Please pick one of the following options and read one book that fits that option.

Option 1: Read a non-fiction book about cycling or a famous cyclist.
ex. Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France, Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson

Option 2: Read a book predominately set in France or written by an author who was born in France or lives in France.

Option 3: The most prestigious classification in the Tour de France is the general classification, symbolized by the yellow jersey. But there is also the mountains classification (white jersey with red dots), the points classification (green jersey) and the young rider classification (white jersey).
Read a book whose title or subtitle contains one of the following color words: Yellow, white, red or green. The word must stand on its own and no variations are allowed.

Option 4: Read a book with a bicycle on the cover.
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen The River of Lost Footsteps Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U Snow Hunters by Paul Yoon
Required: Include the cover.

Required: Identify the option.

20.10 - Group Reads
Read one of the books selected as the Group Reads choices for the season:

Celebrity Novels: Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
Discussion thread for Someday, Someday Maybe

Historical Western Romance: These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner
Discussion thread for These Is My Words

Magical Realism: Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
Discussion thread for Winter's Tale

Required: You must participate in the book's discussion thread with at least one post about the contents of the book or your reaction to the book after you have read the book.

message 7: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2014 05:56AM) (new)

25.1 Andy P's Task: Directionally Challenged
Help Thread
In reading Ken Jennings' Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks for the Spring Challenge I realized how obsolete maps are becoming so I thought I'd work on some simple map skills

Read two books, one Book A and one Book B.
This task is designed for books written by a single author, no coauthors or authors contributing to an anthology.

Book A. Read a book that has in its title/subtitle one of the following words:
North, South, East, West, Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Southeast, right, left.
We are sticking to basics here so NO variations of these words are acceptable.

Book B. According to some pundits, if you can use a compass, you will never get lost. Read a book by an author whose initials for their first and last names can be found in the word COMPASS and/or GPS (to let the technology minded have a little leeway.)
Letters may only be used as often as they appear in the target word(s). Middle names and initials may be ignored.

25.2 - Elizabeth B's Task: What If?
Help Thread
Science Fiction asks "what if?" 
What if there is life on other planets? What if you could travel to the stars? What if science or a disaster changes the social order? 

Since Science Fiction encompasses many subgenres and themes,
choose 2 of these science fiction subgenre options and read 1 book for each.
A. ALIENS
B. SPACE OPERA or SPACE
C. CYBERPUNK
D. DYSTOPIA or POST-APOCALYPTIC
E. ALTERNATE HISTORY or STEAMPUNK

Both the genre science fiction and the chosen subgenre must appear on the book’s main page, either separately or together.

Required: Identify the options

25.3 - mstan's Task: Different Selves, Different Tales
Help thread
For this task, you are required to pick any one of the four options below and read 2 books for that option:

Option 1: Self & Other
Read a book of fiction written by a single author (Book 1) and a memoir, autobiography or biography written by/about the author of Book 1. The latter book must be shelved as one of those genres (i.e. 'memoir', 'autobiography', or 'biography'). Nested genres are fine. E.g. It and On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

Option 2: Young & Old
Read two books by the same single author, one of which is shelved as 'young adult' or 'children's', one of which contains neither of those genres on its main page. E.g. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Casual Vacancy.

Option 3: Past & Future
Read two books by the same single author, the publication dates of which must be at least 25 years apart. The publication dates used must be for the first publication of the book. E.g. Carry on, Jeeves(1925) and Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (1963) (38 years apart)

Option 4: Apples & Oranges
Read two books by the same single author. The main page of the first book must contain one of the genres under 'Apples' but none of the genres under 'Oranges'. The main page of the second book must contain one of the genres under 'Oranges', but none of the genres under 'Apples'.

Apples: Fantasy, science fiction, romance
Oranges: Mystery, horror, thriller

E.g. The End of the Affair (apple: romance) and Brighton Rock (orange: mystery) - both by Graham Greene

Required for option 4 - Please state your apple & orange as shown in the example.

NOTE: No pseudonyms may be used for this task, e.g. Richard Bachman's books cannot be used to stand in for Stephen King's.

25.4 - Coralie's Task: World Cup Past and Present
Help thread
The soccer World Cup will be played in Brazil this June/July.

Option 1 World Cup Past.
Uruguay 1930 -- Winners: Uruguay
Italy 1934 -- Winners: Italy
France 1938 -- Winners: Italy
Brazil 1950 -- Winners: Uruguay
Switzerland 1954 -- Winners: West Germany
Sweden 1958 -- Winners: Brazil
Chile 1962 -- Winners: Brazil
England 1966 -- Winners: England
Mexico 1970 -- Winners: Brazil
West Germany 1974 -- Winners: West Germany
Argentina 1978 -- Winners: Argentina
Spain 1982 -- Winners: Italy
Mexico 1986 -- Winners: Argentina
Italy 1990 -- Winners: West Germany
USA 1994 -- Winners: Brazil
France 1998 -- Winners: France
Japan/South Korea 2002 -- Winners: Brazil
Germany 2006 -- Winners: Italy
South Africa 2010 -- Winners: Spain

Choose one of the past world cups and read 2 books.
Book A – Read a book first published in the year that world cup was held.
Book B – Read a book set (at least 50%) in either the country in which that world cup was held OR in the country that won it.
For example, you could read a book first published in 1982 and a book set in either Spain or Italy. If you choose 2002 you could read set in Japan, South Korea or Brazil.
To make it easier for the moderators, I will accept any part of Germany for West Germany; however England does not include Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Option 2 World Cup Present
The 32 teams competing in Brazil have been divided into eight groups of four. FIFA World Cup Groups
Choose a group and read two books.
Book A – Read a book set (at least 50%) in one of the countries in the group.
Book B – Read a book written by an author BORN in a different country than book A's setting from the same group.
For example, using group C, if you read a book set in Japan for book A, you could read a book by an author born in Columbia, Greece or Ivory Coast for book B.
*Please note that England does not include Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
Any birthplace info that appears on the GR author profile will be used before an outside source.

Required: If the author's birthplace is not indicated on his/her Goodreads record, include a reference when you post. If the book's setting is not obvious, explain in your post

Required: Indicate the option and the the year/country/birthplace when you post.

message 8: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2014 05:50AM) (new)

25.5 - Pat's Task: Long Story Short
Help Thread
I'm a school teacher in the real world, and it seems like summer is always too short and the school year is always too long.

This is a two book task.

Book 1 - Read a book of collected works with at least 4 separate pieces, either all by the same author or by multiple authors. This book should be identified as a collection or an anthology of short stories, essays and/or novellas in the title, book description, or on the main page genre list: short stories, essays, anthologies, or short story collection.

Book 2 - Read a book of long-form fiction or nonfiction by the same author as ONE of the contributed works from Book 1. The book should be a single work.
This book needs to be at least 200 pages in length.

Examples:
Option 1 (Short Stories all by same author ) Ramona Ausubel
Book 1 A Guide to Being Born: Stories
Book 2 No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

Option 2 (Short Stories by collected authors)
Book 1 Dangerous Women "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" by Brandon Sanderson
Book 2 The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

REQUIRED If using Option 2 - post the name of the author and the title of his/her short story from Book 1. If the qualifying information is present in another edition's description, include both the link to your edition and a link to the book edition with the information.

Note: books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

25.6 - Sandi's Task - I could use a little help here!
Help Thread
As has been mentioned in several tasks for this season, Trivial Pursuit is a board game where players need to answer multiple trivia questions. While I was pondering this, I thought that the same is true for multiple TV Game Shows. Therefore, this task will focus on the lifelines from the Game Show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" (but NOT it's spinoff "Super Millionaire" which I may use in future task or maybe someone will use this idea for their task this season).

For more information on the game show, see this Wikipedia article

When the show was first introduced to the USA there were three lifelines. In later seasons of the original show, a fourth lifeline was introduced.

This is a 2 book task. Choose 2 different options and read a book for each.

1) 50/50 -- By using this lifeline, two of the four possible answers labeled A, B, C, and D were removed leaving the player with only two possible answers to choose from.

For this option, read a book in which the Author's first and last name initials (disregard any middle initials) are any of the letter combinations that result when removing two of the A - D choices. So possible 2 letter combinations are: AB, AC, AD, BA, BC, BD, CA, CB, CD, DA, DB, DC -- NOTE: If a book has two authors, only one of the coauthors initials must meet the criteria. Books by more than two authors will NOT work for this task. An author whose last name (name in the last position) includes a prefix: Al, bin, D', Da, De, Del, De la, Della, Den, Des, Di, Dos, Du may be used for this task

2) Phone-A-Friend -- By using this lifeline, the call was placed to a contestant's friend of choice and given the opportunity to read the questions, possible answers, and get the friend's opinion during a 30 second phone call.

For this option, read a book with a telephone on the cover. It must be a phone (i.e. rotary, touch tone, cell, pay phone, phone booth, etc.) and not an alternate electronic device capable of communication similar to telephones.
The Telephone Booth Indian by A.J. Liebling Hell Phone by William Sleator The Good Girls Revolt How the Women of Newsweek Sued their Bosses and Changed the Workplace by Lynn Povich Doctor Who Heart of TARDIS by Dave Stone
Required: Include the cover with your post.

3) Ask the Audience -- By using this lifeline, the audience members were asked to vote for which of the four possible answers he/she believed to be the correct choice. The contestant would then see the percentage of each possible answer and most frequently would choose the option most popular from the audience vote.

For this option the audience will be the Goodreads members as a whole. At the top of your Goodreads page choose the down arrow next to the word 'Explore' and choose the option marked 'popular'. Set the "month" selector with a month during the Summer Challenge (May 2014-August 2014), read a book from the resulting list.
Required: State the month you used, the book's numbered position and the date you found the book.

4) Switch the Question -- By using this lifeline, the contestant was able to replace this question with a new one at the same dollar level.

For this option read a book with one of the following genres that revolve around switching one's identity
A) Shapeshifter
B) Transgender (or Trans)
C) Espionage

The chosen genre must be on the book's Goodreads main page. Genres may stand alone or be embedded.

Note: books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100 pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task, and
Note: books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

Required: Indicate the options

25.7 - Bluemoon's Task: Virtual Vacation
Help Thread
Now that summer has finally arrived to some parts (not quite there in the northeast) I thought it would be fun to start planning a summer vacation.

Please select two different options and read a book for each.

A. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO THERE - We all have places that we keep saying someday I will get there. Well that day has arrived.
Read a book with a setting of someplace that you have always wanted to visit.
Some details:
- The setting must be a real place that you could currently visit. Sorry no space travel or travel to fictional lands.
- The setting must be a place you have NEVER visited before.
- The book must have been first published AND set in a time during your lifetime (no historical or future settings)
ex. Still Life Canada, The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas Las Vegas, Murder on the QE2 cruise, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail hiking in CA
REQUIRED - State the new-to-you place where you are vacationing AND that the book was set during your lifetime..

B. GET AWAY FROM IT ALL - Sometimes we just want to get away from it all - work, the hustle and bustle, etc - and reconnect with nature. For this option read a book that has the genre(s) Nature and/or Wilderness on the homepage. The genre may be stand alone or embedded.

C. THE ULTIMATE DREAM VACATION - Most of us have read a book and thought it would be really cool to suspend reality and visit a place that is impossible at this time to visit - a fictional land, someplace in space, sometime in the past or future. For this option you have that ability.
Read a book that is set in a place that currently is impossible to get to by conventional means (plane, train, automobile, etc) or that is set in a time period before you were born or in the future beyond present day.
ex. Red Rising Mars, Glory in Death set in 2058, The Tombs of Atuan Earthsea
REQUIRED - State where you are vacationing and if using the time setting, state that the time setting is not within your lifetime.

D. THE STAYCATION - In these hard financial times some of us can't afford to go away on vacation so we will just sleep in late and hang around the neighborhood. Since we are staying home let's have a summer cook out for our friends and neighbors. For this option read a book that has food or drink on the cover.
REQUIRED - Post the cover.

REQUIRED - Indicate the options.

Hope you all enjoy your Virtual Vacations.

message 9: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2014 06:12AM) (new)

25.8 - Angel **Book Junkie's** Task: 4th of July Challenge
Help thread
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I enjoy the fact that it speaks of freedom and how far we have come as a country.

Choose two different options and read a book for each.

Option 1:
The Declaration of Independence began as a letter to King George to explain why the Continental Congress voted to declare independence from Great Britain. Read a book where the main character or author's name is George. The name George may occupy any position in the author's name.
Required: If the character's name is not included in the book's description or the book's metadata, identify the character's role

Option 2:
56 people signed the Declaration of Independence. Read a book that has a 5 or 6 in the number of pages.

Option 3:
Currently, the oldest Independence Day celebration in the U.S. is held in Bristol, Rhode Island. Read a book where at least 50% of the book takes place in Rhode Island.
This list may help Rhode Island, but not every book on the list may work.

Option 4:
The United States Flag is an important part of the 4th of July Celebration. Read a book that has a United States Flag on the cover.
What Changes Everything by Masha Hamilton Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow The March by E.L. Doctorow Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1) by Ben Coes American Girls About Town by Jennifer Weiner
required: Include the cover

Option 5:
The 4th of July is also called Independence Day because it celebrates the independence of our country. Read a book by an indie author found on one of these two lists Popular Indie Authors or Best Books by Indie Authors
Required Please state the list you used and the page the book is found on the list

Option 6:
Since we are celebrating Independence day.. You can independently choose any book as long as it meets SRC Requirements.

25.9 - Stacie MI’s Task: Springtime Five-Star Favorites
Help Thread
I was looking over my list of the books that I read during the Spring Challenge (yes, I keep a detailed list of the books I’ve read!), and I was so happy so see that there were so many books that I rated 4 stars or higher!

For this task, read 2 books from different options based on my most recent Five-Star Reads.

Required: Indicate the options you chose when you post.

1. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - Technically I read this book during the Winter Challenge, but seeing as I finished it just hours before the Spring Challenge began, I’m going to count it! This is my favorite Christie mystery to date, so read a book with the genre Mystery* on the main book page.

2. AAAA!: A FoxTrot Assortment for Non-Adults by Bill Amend - By default, every Amend book I read automatically gets 5 stars, more for nostalgia’s sake! I grew up laughing at their antics, and I still do! Read a book with the genre Humor* on the main book page.

3. Champion by Marie Lu - This book was just the perfect end to a series that I have just loved! Read a book that is the last or most recently published book in a series. (Watch for "expected publication" dates. You must read and post the last published book before any later book in the series is published) The book must be part of a series as indicated on Goodreads (series name, #).

4. The Walking Dead, Vol. 19: March to War by Robert Kirkman - Is it odd that I love this book series, but I have yet to see an episode of the TV show? Regardless, I find this series (and so many other graphic novel series) to be so enjoyable! Read a book with the genre Graphic Novel* on the main book page.

5. The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander - I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did! But, then again, books about times in history that intrigue me always strike my fancy. Read a book with the genre Historical Fiction* or Historical Romance* on the main book page that takes place during a time period that intrigues you.
Optional: State the time period and why you find it intriguing.

6. Your Favorite Reads - Look at the books you read between March 2014 and May 2014, find a book you read and really enjoyed, and read another book by the same author. Who knows, maybe lightning will strike twice!
Required: State the book you read that inspired your choice.

*Genres may be embedded or stand-alone

NOTE: Books with genre “Children’s” or “Kids” that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

NOTE: Books with genres “Graphic Novels,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

message 10: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 04, 2014 12:07PM) (new)

25.10 - Laurie ME's Task: Baseball All Stars
Help Thread
The Baseball All Star Game is held in July each year and gives the baseball world a chance to celebrate its best players from the end of the previous season and beginning of the present season. The first All Star Games was held in 1933 at Comiskey Park in Chicago, IL and has been held each summer since. For the players not picked to participate, it represents a chance to take a three day break. For the player chosen, it’s a chance to get together with other players who are considered the best- Baseball Almanac’s All Star Game

Chose two different options and read one book for each:

1. Baseball: Read a book involving baseball OR if you prefer a different sport, with the genre Sports on the main book page. The genre may be embedded or stand alone

2. All Star Game: Read a book set in one of the cities that hosted the All Star Game
Required: Identify the city

3. Home Run Derby: one of the most favorite of the non-game activities: Read a book with at least 100 ratings that has an average rating of 4.0 or better
Required:Include the average rating and number of ratings when you post.

4. Ball Park Food and Drink: Read a book with food or drink on the cover
Required: Include the cover

5. And, because it’s a three day break for the majority of the major league players: Read a book that you want to read that meets SRC rules, just because.

25.11 - Elizabeth P's Task: Summer Camp for All Ages
Help Thread
For me, summer has always meant it's time to go back to one of my favorite places - summer camp! This summer will be my twelfth summer at my local summer camp. The first five, I was a camper, and I've been on staff for the last seven. I figured one of the best ways to share my excitement would be to create a camp-themed task, so here we go!

Choose 2 different options and read 1 book for each.

Option One: Grab a Buddy!
No camper can ever go anywhere without a buddy! It's great for making new friends, but it's also a way to ensure someone can help if you get hurt. For the SRC, it's a great way to stay acquainted with your favorite authors.

Read a book written by an author that you've read before and that you've rated 4 or 5 stars.

Required: State which book you read previously and how many stars you rated it.

Option Two: Sleepy Hollow
One of our best hikes that campers have the chance to go on is to what we call "Sleepy Hollow". There they hear all kinds of stories about the Purple Seven Gang, wars between Indian tribes, and other spooky things.

Read a book with the genre "horror" or "thriller" on its main book page. Genres may be embedded or stand-alone.

Option Three: All Camp Games
Getting every child in camp together to play a game every night is always one of my favorite parts of the day. The teams have so much spirit that they're shouting over one another and it's crazy and fun. This task will focus on one of our most popular all camp games.

Read a book whose author's initials are found in CAPTURE THE FLAG. Middle initials can be ignored, and letters can only be used as often as they appear.

Option Four: Open Waterfront
During our Open Waterfront, it seems that mad dashes are happening all over the place - some kids really want that kayak, and others can't wait to get out of the heat and jump in the lake.

Read a book with a boat of any type on the cover.

Here are some sample lists, but be careful as every book on the list may not fit the task.
Ships
Boat Books

Required: Include the cover with your post.

Required: Indicate which options you are choosing.
Happy Reading!

25.12 - Janet F's Task: A Trivial Challenge
Help Thread
This task is built around randomly selected questions from the original Trivial Pursuit game.

This is a two book task. Trivial Pursuit uses one die. Roll one die
and use that # for one option and choose a different option for your other book.

Required: Indicate the option # you rolled and the option you chose when you post.

1. GEOGRAPHY - What U.S. state's name begins but doesn't end with the letter A.?

Read a book with a word of at least 4 letters in the title/subtitle that begins with an A but doesn't end with an A. Words such as 'America's' and 'Alice' are okay.

2. ENTERTAINMENT - Who defended Tyrone Power in 'Witness for the Prosecution'?

Since the film 'Witness for Prosecution' was based on a short story by Agatha Christie.
Read a book by Agatha Christie or one of these authors determined by GR to be similar to Agatha Christie at the start of the Summer Challenge

The accepted author list is:
Agatha Christie
Arthur Conan Doyle
Bill Cameron
Ngaio Marsh
Richard Lancelyn Green
Georgette Heyer
Mary Westmacott
Jan Neuharth
Margery Allingham
P.D. James
Deneane Clark
Rex Stout
Gillian Gill
Dorothy L. Sayers
Detection Club
Linda Jacobs
Dick Riley
Eliot Pattison

3. HISTORY - What mausoleum did Mogul Shah Jahan build to the memory of his favorite wife?

Read a book with a building on the cover. Exteriors only, not interior rooms. Skylines and city scenes are OK.
The Haunting of Hill House  by Shirley Jackson The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro Wolf Willow  by Wallace Stegner City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Wine of Angels (Merrily Watkins, #1) by Phil Rickman

Required: Include the cover in your post.

4. ARTS & LITERATURE - What are little boys made of?

Read a book with adjective that can describe size* in the title or subtitle. Words like: big, little, grand, great, petite, tiny, small, giant, tall, etc. would work.
*Dictionary.com will be the reference used to determine the part of speech and/or word definition.

Required: Identify the adjective when you post.

5. SCIENCE & NATURE - What is a Portuguese man-of-war?

Read a book with the Author's initials found in PORTUGUESE in any order. Middle names excluded. Letters may only be used as often as they appear in the word.

6. SPORTS & LEISURE - What position do baseball's Cy Young Award winners play?

Read a book that was a WINNER of one of these awards:
National Book Award Winners
Booker Prize Winners

Required: Identify the award and year

Optional - Be the first to post the correct answer to the Trivial Pursuit Question for your book when you post.

message 11: by Dlmrose (last edited May 31, 2014 08:15PM) (new)

30 point tasks

30.1 Ms Anderson's Task: A Little Pick-Me-Up
Help Thread
Work is stressful lately, so I've been diving into some activities to keep myself sane until I get a break.

Roll two dice, then read books related to each of the activities you roll. If you get doubles, roll again until you get two different numbers.

1. Writing Poetry: Writing is one of my favorite things to do, and it's kept me from losing it on many occasions. I'm even putting together a personal anthology!

Read a book with the genre "Poetry"* on the main page.

2. Projects for Friends: I like creating fun multimedia stories for my best friends, not only because those friends enjoy the finished product, but because it keeps my mind off of the things that upset me. My current major project is about a girl who gets lost in a maze of alternate universes.

Read a book with the genre "Science Fiction"* on the main page.

3. Playing Video Games: I picked up a few of the Lego games on Steam during a sale, and I'm not doing too badly, given how awful I am at platform games. Lego Marvel is great because I can run around as the Hulk and smash everything in my way. It's cathartic.

Read a book with the genre "Graphic Novels"* on the main page.

4. Rifftrax: I used to love watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 with my dad as a kid, and three of the same guys from the show now make audio tracks to play along with blockbuster movies. They're hilarious—they make good movies even better and bad movies moderately watchable.

Read a book with the genre "Humor"* on the main page.

5. Alphabetizing: Strangely enough, alphabetizing my books, video games, DVDs, and CDs is comforting. It's restoring order to chaos, something I can control when everything else seems to be falling apart.

Read a book with the genre "Mental Health"* on the main page.

6. Eye Candy: Sometimes it's nice to look at pretty things when you're stressed. Like Tom Hiddleston's smile and Benedict Cumberbatch's eyes or Hugh Jackman's biceps.

Read a book with the genre "Fantasy"* on the main page.

*Genres may be stand-alone or embedded.

Required:Identify the options you rolled.

Note: Books with the genre Children's less than 300 pages but that otherwise conform to the rules are welcome here!
Note: Books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

30.2 Dlmrose's Task: Dig in!
Help Thread
On August 12, 1990, Sue, one of the largest, most extensive and best-preserved Tyrannosaurus rex specimens was discovered.

Choose 2 options and read one book for each.

1) Read a book set predominately in one of these places where T. rex fossils have been found: Canada: Alberta, Saskatchewan; USA: Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota

2) Read a book with an archaeologist or paleontologist as a main character. An archaeologist is a specialist in archaeology, the scientific study of prehistoric peoples and their cultures by analysis of their artifacts, inscriptions, monuments, etc.. A paleontologist studies the science of the forms of life existing in former geologic periods, as represented by their fossils. Ex. The Crossing Places, Lion in the Valley, Site Unseen
Required: If If the character is not identified as an archaeologist or paleontologist in the GR book description provide a reference when you post.

3) Paleontologist and marine archaeologist Sue Hendrickson discovered the fossils. Read a book by an author named Sue or any variation of the name Susan as identified by Behind the Name. Ex. Susanna Kearsley, Sue Monk Kidd, Suzette Haden Elgin
The "Sue" name may occupy any position in the author's name, ex. Amy Sue Nathan Hyphenated names do not work.

4) Read a book with one of the following words in the title or subtitle: Bone, skeleton, skull, fossil, dinosaur. Plurals and possessives work, but no other variations.

Required:Identify the options

30.3 – Delmy's Task: Send in the Clones!!
Help Thread
In honour of my new favorite addiction, “Orphan Black” centers around Sarah Manning your average conartist whom on a fateful day comes across a woman who looks exactly like her, then this woman kills herself and Sarah takes over the woman’s life leading her to a big revelation, she is a clone and she is not the only one! This is part of large organization, The Dyad Institute, who are creating the clones as part of a larger plan. Now this is such a grand show it is hard to condense what it is about in just a couple of lines. The best part of this show is Tatiana Maslany, who plays the many faces of the clones.

So to introduce you to this fantastic show, choose two different options and read one book for each.

Each book must be at least 250 pages in length

1. Sarah Manning: An English con woman who lives in the US and witnesses the suicide of Beth Childs, a woman who looks exactly like Sarah. After witnessing the suicide, Sarah assumes the identity of Beth, she then discovers the existence of several identical clones and learns that someone is out to kill them.

Read a book where a main character is a con artist.
ex. The Talented Mr. Ripley, Catch Me if You Can, Fingersmith

Required: If the GRs description does not make it clear explain how your book fits the task.

2. Helena: A religious fanatic assassin trained by the Proletheans, who is killing off all the clones. She is your average cold-evil baddie but she is my favorite.

Read a book from this list:

Rooting for the Bad Guy.

Required: State the number on the list your book occupied when you selected your book.

3. Alison Hendrix: A soccer mom, who is wind-up tighter than a noose! She is a stay at home mom, who is married to her high-school sweetheart--who is also her monitor.

Read a book where the main character is a mom.

Required: If the GRs description does not make it clear explain how your book fits the task.

4. Cosima Niehaus: A graduate student studying evolutionary developmental biology, she is being recruited by the Dyad institute as a ploy to keep her close. However, in the course of the show, we find out that Cosima is sick and that she is not the only clone to have fallen ill.

Read a book where the main character is a scientist (a scientific specialist who works in a lab doing research or analysis) or is sick will a life-threatening illness.

5. The Dyad Institute: The institute created to study and create the clones, where the movement of Neolution was founded, based on the idea of pushing the limits of human evolution. The institute monitors and studies, the lives and health of the clones, with an eventual outcome of patenting the clones (YIKES!).

Read a book from the following list:

Clones shelf

Required: State the shelf page number and the date you found the book.

6. Monitors: These are people who watch and monitor the clones, they can be friends or husbands or boyfriends (there only seems to be female clones, so far). Anyways, the monitors play the part of a significant other and make sure that doctors have access to the clones in order to gauge their vitals and get blood samples, monitors cannot intervene in any of the behaviour of the clones.

For this option, since monitors cannot make any decisions, pick a friend from the SRC and have them pick a book from your TBR shelf or one of your custom shelves that has at least 30 books for you to read.

Required: Identify the SRC member

Required: Identify the options used and supply any required information when you post.

30.4 Susan A's Task: Percy Jackson Lovers Unite!
Help thread
My daughter is Percy Jackson's #1 fan. She came up with the idea and helped develop the task.

Read 2 books. Option 1 may be chosen twice*, options 2 - 6 may only be used once.

Option 1: Greek Mythology
Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, one of the 12 Olympians of Greek Mythology.

Read a book with the genre Greek Mythology on the main page or with a predominant theme of Greek mythology where the title or description refer to The Odyssey or The Iliad or Homer (the Greek poet), or a Greek god or goddess from this list
*Only this option may be used twice.

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) by Esther M. Friesner The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

Option 2: Zeus
Known among the Greeks as the the King of the Gods, read a book with a title that includes the word, King, god, or ruler in the title or subtitle. Plurals and possessives permitted.

Ex. The Return of the King, American Gods, Ruler's Desire

Option 3: Aphrodite
The Greek Goddess of love and beauty, read a book with the genre romance listed on the main book page. Embedded genres accepted.

Ex. Once in a Lifetime (Lucky Harbor #9) by Jill Shalvis Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick

Option 4: Poseidon
God of the Sea, read a book with a word for a body of water in the title or subtitle. Plurals and possessives permitted.

Ex. The Sea of Monsters, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Sweetwater Creek

Option 5: Hermes
Hermes is a god of transitions and boundaries. He is protector and patron of travelers, herdsmen, and thieves.
Read a book that mentions a thief, theft, robbery, something stolen, a heist, a con or con (wo)man or con artist in the GR book description.

Ex. The Lightning Thief, Heist Society, The Chase

Option 6: Artemis
Goddess of the Hunt, read a book with a non-human mammal, bird or fish on the cover. (Insects, reptiles and fantasy animals NOT accepted). Required: Include the cover with your post.

Hope Ignites (Hope, #2) by Jaci Burton Life After Death (Infected, #3) by Andrea Speed Jaws by Peter Benchley

Required: Identify the options

message 12: by Dlmrose (last edited May 25, 2014 03:50AM) (new)

30.5 Sheila/Kathy G's Task: In Pursuit of a Good Book
Help Thread
This is a 2 book task. Choose 2 different options and read a book for each.

Option 1: Entertainment- Read a book by an author whose first and last name initials are found in the word "ENTERTAINMENT. Middle initials may be ignored. Only letters found in the word twice may be used twice.

Option 2: Geography- Read a book that takes place in a city, state, or country that has the letter "G" in the place name. The place name must be identified on the main book page in the title, book description, or setting metadata.
Required: Identify the place name

Option 3: History- Read a book set during WWI or WWII- the eras from 1914-1918 or 1939-1945. The setting must be evident on the main book page from the title, book description, metadata or genre list.

Option 4: Art & Literature- Read a non-fiction book about a person who is in the music, television or movie industry. It must be clear from the book description that this person works in one of those industries.

Option 5: Science & Nature- Read a book with at least one tree on the cover
Required - Post the Cover

Option 6: Sports & Leisure- Read a book that you would consider a "good summer read." Optional- Give us one sentence why you consider it a summer read.

Required Indicate the options

30.6 - Alison's Task: Summer Birthdays
Help Thread
As a kid I always loved the summer. My birthday is in July and I would start a countdown to my next birthday almost as soon as I celebrated one. This task will focus on the family members I have celebrating summer birthdays.

Please select TWO of the following options and read ONE book for each.

Option #1: Red Haired Girl
I have 3 sons, 4 nephews and only 2 nieces. Our youngest niece is also the only one of the nine of them that has reddish hair like me and she will be turning one year old on June 21st. 
Read a book that has someone with obviously red hair on the cover or mentions a character with red hair in the goodreads description.
ex. The Winter Sea (Slains, #1) by Susanna Kearsley Visions of Magic (Awakening, #1) by Regan Hastings Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Some lists for inspiration, but be careful not every book may work for this task
Girls with Red Hair
Redhead Reads
Red Hair

REQUIRED: If you choose to use the cover option please include the cover in your post

Option #2: Day You Were Born
My birthday is on July 10th and this year that falls on a Thursday, just like it did the year I was born (and also the year I got married!) 
Read a book that has a day of the week in the title, subtitle, or author's name. Plurals and possessives are fine but no other variations.

Option #3: Baby Boy
The youngest of our gang is our nephew Elliot and he will be celebrating his first birthday on August 29th. He is baby Elliot to everyone and I think it is likely the nickname will stick even as he becomes not a baby anymore ;-) 
Read a book where the cover shows a baby of either gender. The baby must relate to the storyline in some way and "baby" or a synonym (newborn, infant, etc) must appear in the title/subtitle 
ex: Baby on the Ranch by Susan Meier Baby on the Ranch
Bringing Up Bébé One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting)
or in the book description The Boss's Surprise Son by Teresa Carpenter The Boss's Surprise Son "now she's expecting his baby!"

REQUIRED:Include the cover in your post

Option #4: Birthday Buddies
Our oldest son will be 8 on August 30th and last year he was at the hospital when his cousin was born and he loved that they almost got to share a birthday. I also have a cousin that was born on my 6th birthday and it is a very special bond we share. 
Read a book by an author who shares a birth month with you. These sources may help Author Birthdays, Famous Author Birthdays

REQUIRED: Please include the month of the birth you and the author share in your post

REQUIRED: Indicate the options

30.7 Allison I's Task: Follow the Stars
Help Thread
I was born a summer baby on August 23rd. According to some horoscopes I'm a Leo. And to others I'm a Virgo! In honor of all the Leos and Virgoans out there read two books, one from each of two different options.

A. Read a book by an author who is a Leo or a Virgo born between July 23rd and September 22nd. These links may help: Author Birthdays, Famous Author Birthdays Any date that appears on the GR author profile will be used before an outside source date.
Required: State the author birthdate

B. Read a book first published in July, August or September of any year.

C. Take a trip to the stars. Read a book with the genre Science Fiction on the main book page.

30.8 - Sandy's Task: Concentration!
Help Thread
A card game, in which the object is to find matching pairs of cards. For this task, you will look for matching words in the title/subtitle of two different books.

Read two books, the title/subtitle of which contain the same noun - generally defined as a word meaning a person, place or thing. Pronouns (I, we, you, he, she, it, they) do not work.

The word must be exactly the same in both titles, no variations.

The fine print:
No books with the genre "children" may be used for this task, regardless of length.

Each book must be at least 300 pages.

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

REQUIRED: Specify the noun that the two book titles have in common and the number of pages in each book.

message 13: by Dlmrose (last edited May 20, 2014 02:24PM) (new)

30.9 Ty's Task: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Help Thread
August 2014 is the 50th anniversary of the release of Disney's Mary Poppins film. 2014 is also the 80th anniversary of the first printing of Mary Poppins. Celebrate with a spoonful of sugar and the following reads:

Book A: Read a book where all the letters in one word from the title can be found in SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS. Subtitles not allowed.
Ex. Cress (550 pg), The Outsider (Outsider, 560 pg), The Great Gatsby (Great, 280 pg)

Book B: Read a book where all the letters in the author's first or last name can be found in SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS.
Ex. The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman (Alice, 504 pg), A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (Ellis, 250 pg)

Conditions:
- The title word or author's name must be AT LEAST 5 letters.
- Both books must have at least 2 of these 3 digits: 5, 8, 0 in the page numbers.
- You can only use the letters as many times as it appears in SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS. (i.e. LADLE is allowed, but not LADDER - only 1 D is available).

Required: State the word and name and the page numbers for each book when you post. It would be helpful to indicate where the letters appear in the source word

30.10 - Delicious Dee's Task: TP = Trivial Pursuit, Toilet Paper or something else?
Help Thread
So I had an idea for my task all laid out in my head (best place for it) and was talking about it with Ms Anderson tonight (yeah, we were scheming slightly), when I typed in a PM, TP for Trivial Pursuit – not even thinking about other meanings for the word (which has gotten me into grief on Facebook recently). When she came back and said TP probably not what I was thinking of, I had a the idea of basing my task around the abbreviation TP and other words/phrases that could be abbreviated to it. I ended up finding out, there were lots of things that TP could stand for. I narrowed it down to the 6 I liked the most/were the most different.

For this task, you will read TWO books from DIFFERENT options.
Your two books must total at least 600 pages and since SRC is to me about expanding my reading boundaries and I often times find myself falling into my comfort zone, the genre ROMANCE MAY NOT appear on your choices' main page genre list.

OPTION 1: TRIVIAL PURSUIT – well, since that is how the task idea started. Read a book by an author whose initials are found SEQUENTIALLY in TRIVIAL PURSUIT. The first and last letters wrap as TT. You may go consecutively forward or backward. i.e. RS - Roz Savage or SR – Susan Rieger The author you choose must use only a first and last name- no middle names or initials.

OPTION 2: TOILET PAPER – I had to include this one - read a book that a friend or SRC member has rated 2 stars or less
REQUIRED Include the link to the person’s rating/review in your post

OPTION 3: TIBIALIS POSTERIOR – is a stabilizing muscle in your lower foot – read a book with at least one BARE foot on the cover
ex The Barefoot Running Book The Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running by Jason Robillard Sincerely, Mayla (Just As I Am, #2) by Virginia Smith
Required Include the cover

OPTION 4: PORTUGAL – TP is the International Air Transport Association code for AIR PORTUGAL – Read a book either set predominately in Portugal or by an author who was born or has lived in Portugal (if you pick lived, they need to have resided there for at least 2 years) -This list may help - AtW80 - Portugal - but as with all lists, not every book will meet the task requirements
Required If the connection isn't clear from the description, explain in your post.

OPTION 5: TRAINING PEAKS – this is a web-based program used by a lot of athletes and coaches to track workouts – my coach posts my workouts via it, and then I report back when done – in the spirit of that, read a book that has the genre SPORTS on the main page. The genre may be embedded or standalone.

OPTION 6: TERRY PRATCHETT – read a book that has been shelved both as FANTASY and SCIENCE-FICTION as he is known for writing within both genres. The genres may be embedded or standalone. The single genre SCIENCE FICTION FANTASY will also qualify.

Required Indicate the options and the page numbers for each book

30.11 Helen's Task: Honor's Awards
Help Thread
This is the time of year for graduations and students being recognized for their major achievements. These recognitions are designated as "summa cum laude" (with highest honor) and "magna cum laude" (with great honor).

Goodreads readers also recognize our major achievers each year in the form of Goodreads Choice Awards. These awards are presented by category and have been awarded yearly since 2009. For this task we will read two books from the Goodreads Choice Award lists .

Book 1: Summa Cum Laude - winners of Goodreads Choice Awards
Read one book which is an award winner. To see previous years, see the list on the lower right.
Required: Post the category and year.

Book 2: Magna Cum Laude - nominees for Goodreads Choice Awards
Read one book which was nominated for an award but was not selected as a winner. To view the nominees, click on the category headings.

The categories Graphic Novels & Comics and Picture Books are excluded. Books in the Middle Grade & Children's category must meet SRC rules

RequiredPost category and year.

message 14: by Dlmrose (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:30AM) (new)

50.1 Peebee’s Task: Summer of 1984
Help Thread
I remember the first time I ever played the original Trivial Pursuit, Genus Edition: while I was away at camp during the summer of 1984 (which according to Wikipedia is when the game's popularity peaked). These tasks are related to my memories from that unforgettable summer.

Read 3 books from at least 2 of the 3 options. You may select A and B from a single option. You may NOT do the same part A or B more than once.

Option 1: 1984

A. For this option, read (or hopefully re-read) the book 1984 by George Orwell,
OR
B. read a book first published in 1984.

Option 2: When Doves Cry

This song, from the movie soundtrack for Purple Rain, was #1 on the charts for most of the summer, as well as the biggest hit of the year.

A. For this option, read a book with a bird on the cover,
OR
B. read a book with the words "purple," "rain," "Prince," or "time" in the title, subtitle, or series title, EXACT matches only.

Option 3: Sixteen Candles

This movie, one of my very favorites, was the first movie John Hughes directed, and featured some of the actors who would later be known as part of the “Brat Pack.”

A. For this option, read a book with a cake and/or candle(s) on the cover. Cupcakes will NOT be considered cakes for this task,
OR
B. read a book WRITTEN by one of the actors who were considered part of the Brat Pack, according to this Wikipedia article: Brat Pack – Membership Any ACTOR mentioned in the Membership section may be used. Co-authors work like Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son, but a contribution of an Introduction or Foreward to another author's book does not work.

(Some of my favorite Brat Pack authors are: Molly Ringwald and Rob Lowe)

Required for all options: Please state the options you selected when you post. If using cover options, please post a link to the book’s cover. If your choices aren’t obvious, please explain the connection.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.