Start by marking “American Girls About Town” as Want to Read:
American Girls About Town

American Girls About Town

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  2,264 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Born in the U.S.A....
American gals are taking liberties -- and pursuing happiness on their own terms -- in this star-studded story collection featuring the nation's red-hot women writers.

They've declared their independence!
Jennifer Weiner (In Her Shoes) learns "The Truth About Nigel" -- and the trouble with falling for an incognito Hollywood actor. Lauren Weisberge
Published October 5th 2004 by Gallery Books (first published July 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Girls About Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Girls About Town

Juliana
If you liked this book, you'll enjoy the Irish girls about town better! Far more witty than the American version.
Antof9
Well, I read this on two different airplanes. I left it in my carry-on from the last trip, and then I read it when I came back to NYC for this week.

This book is not very exciting. First, I realized I really don't like "anthologies". That's not exactly what this is, but it is a bunch of short stories. Each chapter is a new story by a new author, and each is only about 5-8 pages long. Might be a great book for a doctor's office waiting room, but not my cup of tea at all.

Sadly, the first story in t
Sarah Sammis
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released

As this is the last story in the book, I'll close with my thoughts on the experience. These fourteen short storties are written by authors I've not read before as I'm not much of a reader of either "women's fiction" or "chick lit." There are some stories I enjoyed enough to want to read more by some of the authors. My favorite stories were by Claire LaZebnik, Adriana Trgiana, Judi Hendricks, Sarah Mlynowski and Jill Smolinski. I'm glad I took the time to read through the stories and the book has

Lory
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart-chick-lit
This is a great chick lit overview. I read it because it contained stories by several authors I liked, and wanted to see if it would lead me to others. I'm pretty picky about my chick lit- I like a breezy read, but I just can't relate to some vapid idiot that thinks a $400 pair of shoes is more important than paying rent. Not that I'm trashing Sophie Kinsella, because honestly, I've loved almost all of her non-Shopaholic books. On the other hand, I love almost everything Lauren Weisberger has wr ...more
Cathy
Some stories were better than others. Although this book was chock full of American chick lit authors, I'm not so sure I"d classify this collection of short stories as "chick lit" in general. While some of the stories mirrored their authors' published chick lit novels, many more of the short stories would better be described as general fiction or even just women's ficition. A lot of the stories surprised me in that they were dark or sarcastic in nature and others were just plain "unique". My fav ...more
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
For those with low attention spans, this is the book for you. Which is so me lately. American chicklit authors wrote some short stories for this anthology which proceeds of the sales (got it for free, whoops!) goes to some charity. Apparently there are Irish and UK versions of this book too, which I wouldn't mind picking up if I ever see it anywhere. Anyway, for those with no attention span, this is a good book for you. Except when like a story is good and you wish it went on longer! Those I lov ...more
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Ellen
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beach-chicklit
It was fun to pick up a book of short stories – something I had not done in years, if not since assigned to do so in high school. (I think that it’s a genre that’s harder to find, and I’m often too lazy to move beyond the best-seller tables in the front of the bookstore.) I found this collection a mixed bag of both engaging and/or funny, and boring chick-lit. There was a month where the book lay untouched on my nightstand because I was stuck in a particularly long-winded story that, despite bein ...more
Candice
Another collection of short stories published to raise money for children's non-profit agencies. Chick lit, which I enjoy some of but frankly haven't read much of. Problem with this collection is that most of the tone and voices were pretty interchangeable, with the exception of a few, which I may pursue when I'm in the mood for this type of writing - breezy and humorous. I'm a woman, I like women writing about women's lives, so I don't know if I'm disappointed in "chick lit" or if it was just t ...more
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read a book of short stories. I saw one of my favorite authors contributed (Jennifer Weiner) to this one so I thought I would check it out. Fun stories, all about the trials of being an American girl.

Weiner, oddly enough, wrote a short story about a girl from England though. Hmmm ...

As with a collection of short stories, each one can be hit or miss. My favorite was by Nancy Sparling. Anyone ever read something else by her? Reminds me a lot of the Shopaholic series.

There
Jen
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who love chick lit
Recommended to Jen by: Robin
It's a collection of short stories, and while some were just okay, there were a few that I wished were longer than a short story. Since I'm somewhat new to reading the chick-lit genre, it was good for me to get a sample of other writers I'd never heard of. I've already read Lauren Weisberger and Jennifer Weiner. But I found that I also really liked reading Cindy Chupack, Laura Wolf, Judi Hendricks (her story "Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings" was one of my favories in this collection), and N ...more
Arra Abella
Since it was a compilation of short stories from different authors, I felt that I have read a lot of books in one sitting. I love the fact that I get to explore different situations, different worlds and meet different characters. I somehow felt empowered when I read about the various types of women in each story. Though I think I was not satisfied or I didn't really get the point of some stories, you'll still get to pick a personal favorite and I really love "Andromeda on the Street of Duckling ...more
Linda
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant collection of stories by contemporary chick lit authors. I enjoyed quite a few of the stories by authors I haven't read before and plan to look for their novels at the library. My favorite story was "Forty Days" by Jill Smolinski. The narrator, a single mother on the verge of turning forty, decides to spend the forty days before her birthday spicing up her life by doing something she'd never done before, something she'd been afraid to do and something just for herself.
Elisa Waingort
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The short stories are all spectacular. They contain fully developed female characters that could be anyone in a woman's life, including herself, especially herself. The fact that these are short stories allowed me to pause after reading each one and savour the feeling that each story evokes. You almost have to do this with each story to fully appreciate the effect it has on the reader. I highly recommend this book to all my female friends on Goodreads.
Carrie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I was very disappointed with this book. The stories seemed trite and very similar from one to the next. It was a struggle to motivate myself to finish reading it. Normally, I love short stories but I was disappointed with these- with the exception of about 4 or 5 of them. Although the book contained stories from some of my favorite authors, I think I will stick to their novels in the future.
Maina
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, although I did skip one or two stories. Some stories didn't catch my attention and some I missed because I lost my place in the book. Majority of the stories were very relatable and very interesting (cheating scenario, husband coming out of the closet, keeping the fire alive in a marriage, etc.). Really liked it and the short story format - probably should have used a book mark though!
Susan
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are a group of short stories by some of our favorite "chick lit" authors. What I like about them is that most either end with enlightenment, happiness, or both. They are sort of a feel good read. My favorites are about a bank worker who falls for a new employee only to find out he is famous, and also one about a woman who is turning 40 and thinks of 40 things she has always wanted to do but been afraid to.
Jessica
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Several authors I have read and liked had stories in this book, along with some new authors. I really enjoyed the stories from the authors I know (Jennifer Weiner, Lauren Weisberger, Claire LaZebnik, Melissa Senate). The other stories were just okay. I might read a few of the other authors' work, but it wasn't anything amazing.
Sheela
This was a cute, fun read. Some of the stories were really great; others fell flat and felt formulaic. I was looking forward to Lauren Weisberger's short story because I enjoy her books, but the story was so generic and predictable. I particularly liked Laura Wolf's "Amore," which I thought was ironic and funny.
Stacey
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another compilation, this one to benefit Make-a-Wish. Also a book I took a chance on, though, it was more of a 70/30 sort of thing. Loved Adriana Trigiani, Claire LaZebnik, Lauren Weisberger, Jill Smolinski, & Chris Manby. Hated Julianna Baggott, Lauren Henderson, & Laura Wolf. If you enjoy any of these authors, pick the book up cheap or rent it from your library.
Margaret
A chick lit anthology of short stories - I definitely liked some better than others. I thought Leaving a Light On was rather clever and The Two Month Itch and Forty Days were amusing. I also liked The Bamboo Confessions and Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings. Fast reading - nothing was too serious or required much thought (sometimes you just need fluff).
Meredith
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story lovers/chick lit lovers
If you love chick lit and want to get a taste of different authors then this is for you. Most of the stories were really good and the bad ones you got through quickly anyways. It really helped give me a better sense of which authors I would like to read more of their books. Also if you are a Jennifer Weiner fan she's got a great story in here as well.
dearlittledeer
Unfortunately, my copy of this book was missing one story and repeated two and a half others instead. Based on what I was able to read, I'd give it two and a half stars. The stories are a real mix of silly chick lit and more serious and poetic stuff. Good for reading one story a night at bedtime. My only problem was that one of the stories is about a British woman. I don't get that.
Saima
Nov 15, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun to read and actually a really quick read. The book is composed of 17 different stories by 17 famous writers....one of which is Lauren Weisberger who wrote " The Devil Wears Prada". Some of the stories were hilarious while some of them were really weird. Overall it was nice to notice the different writing styles of the various authors.
Tisha
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoy a short story book by many authors since it give me a chance to decide if I want to read anything else by that particular author. The only thing with this, there were some stories that I wanted to go on. Its was disappointing to discover the story has ended and I have to make my own conclusions.
Tracy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked most of the shor stories. There was only one that I could not stand! I love Jennifer Weiner so I had to get the book. Her short story is great of course... As are many others! A great book to read during the summer. I do believe that the proceeds go to the make-a wish foundation!
Charlotte
Bits of chick lit from a lot of my favorite authors. May have been better to read it at different intervals as reading it all at once it seemed a bit repetitive. However there were some good stories in it.
Carrie
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Camille (if only for the commentary)
I really liked a couple of the stories and the rest were fine. I would probably recommend this to anyone who is bored and doesn't want anything heavy. If language bothers you much, you may be offended.
M
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I agree with other reviewer. Good for people with short attention spans. If you want stories to just capture your attention for a bit, this is good. You read, you move on to another story, you skip around. Stories are generally interesting.
  • Scottish Girls About Town
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • Girls' Night Out
  • The Dairy Queen
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • This Christmas
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Girls' Night In
  • Cooking with My Sisters: One Hundred Years of Family Recipes, from Bari to Big Stone Gap
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink)
  • Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story
  • Weekend in Paris
  • Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3)
  • You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs
  • The Botox Diaries
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Maneater
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of fourteen books, including Good in Bed, The Littlest Bigfoot, and her memoir Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.
More about Jennifer Weiner

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99