Start by marking “And Then There Were None” as Want to Read:
And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  822,061 ratings  ·  33,480 reviews
First, there were ten—a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a little private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal—and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. ...more
Published May 3rd 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 6th 1939)

To ask other readers questions about And Then There Were None, please sign up.
Jackie Allen That's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until …moreThat's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until the very end and even then I read back to see what I missed!(less)
Azur The original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since…moreThe original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since this is pretty offensive it was changed to "Ten little Indians". The children's rhyme was originally about Indians/Native Americans. This was deemed offensive too, so today they use the last line of the children's rhyme as title and the little figures were changed to soldiers.
Information from my copy of the book.

I have two versions of this book. One is the English version with the little soldiers. The other one is a German translation of the original version with the N word (and a ton of apologies in the preface) but also with the last line as title. (less)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
6,023 books — 14,215 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
51,319 books — 202,583 voters

More lists with this book...

·  822,061 ratings  ·  33,480 reviews

chai ♡
There is scarcely any comfort to be found in this book, only an ancient, arcane horror. The story is a vast underwater cavern, where nothing flows and nothing ebbs and all is as dark and still as the grave. Even my most harrowing nightmares would have never conjured such a soul-fearing tale. And Then There Were None was uncomfortable as it lodged itself in the darkest corner of my mind. The questions it asks and the implications it conceals are still twining up my legs like a barbed vine.

I like
Kinga
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pub-1939
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl
Nataliya

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 stars to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. This is the book that started my absolute love of the mystery genre. I was addicted and must have read it 3 or 4 times over the course of the year. Between the poem, the deserted island, the plot twist, the count-down, the pure clandestine suspense... it couldn't get any better.

Story
Ten people receive a mystery letter from someone they don't know that indicates they should come to a remote island. Why would they go????? After arriving, t
Merphy Napier
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, classics, mystery
Full of suspense and I was hanging on every word. I loved that we almost knew what would happen next because of the sequence and yet, had no idea how it would come about. This is my first Agatha Christie and now I can't wait to read more!
Anne
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it

Reread: 2015
Because some Non-Crunchy Cool Classic Pantaloonless friends thought I read it wrong...

description

Turns out, I did. This was a really good mystery!
{insert long-winded apology with much groveling}
Happy, guys?

description

The story goes a bit like this:
10 strangers each get invitations from someone they think they know to stay on an island resort. Hells yeah! Sunshine & sea air!

description

Well, resort is a bit of a misnomer.
It's really a big house on an island. Still, it's famous for being a party place, and nobody in
PirateSteve
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the worlds best selling books of all time, Agatha Christie's "and Then There Were None" sets the standard for crime fiction.
The book was first published under a different title in jolly old England, but even back in 1939 American publishers were far too politically correct to use a title they found so offensive.
Still again, in 1964 and again in 1986 a third title was published but political correctness struck again. I read the book under the authors original title because I wanted to re
Charlotte May
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Watch and pray. The day of judgement is at hand.”

Now I understand why Agatha is the Queen of crime! This was addictive.

A group of people are all individually invited to an island for a summer holiday in Devon. None of them 100% sure who their mysterious host is. Things become even more peculiar when their host isn’t there when they arrive, and doesn’t show themselves at all.

One by one the guests are killed, picked off, leaving the others terrified and paranoid. It was a fantastic mystery t
Dita
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Are you kidding me?

ALL OF THE STARS! EVERY STAR!

Just brilliant!
jessica
i want to start off by saying if i had been alive in 1939 and read this when it was first published, i would have given this 5 stars. without a doubt. theres a reason this story is one of the best-selling books of all time - the concept paved the way for the 'whodunnit' mysteries of today. i would have been riveted by this story.

that being said, because the influence of this book is so far-reaching, it didnt feel like it was new. ive read this format in many other novels and seen it in many film
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, July 29, 2020! If you've never read one of Agatha Christie's murder mysteries, this one is my favorite!

Every once in a while on Goodreads I find myself feeling compelled to make a True Confession, and here's another one: I'm not all that much of a Hercule Poirot fan.

For someone who's read probably 30 or 40 Agatha Christie books over her lifetime, that's probably an odd thing. I like him okay, I don't DISlike him, but yeah, he kind of irks me sometimes. So when I'm picking up
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
And Then There Were None is one of Agatha Christie's most celebrated mystery novels, and purportedly one of the most difficult for her to write.

I don't dislike this book. It seems to be a favorite among many, but it's very middle of the road for me as far as Mystery/Thriller books go.

The Good:

I enjoy the setup & how this mystery is structured. It's fun & easy to engage with in a "Gee, I sure am glad I'm not in their shoes" kind of way.

It's written well with an accurate insight on human de
Brina
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year I have decided to take part in a women's century challenge in the group catching up on classics where the participants read a book written in ten consecutive decades. I chose to focus on the 20th century and my 1930s selection is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Although I had previously read some of her Hercule Poirot cases, this is my first stand alone mystery of Christie's that I have read. A suspenseful premise for a case, And Then There Were None left me on edge for th ...more
Alejandro
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, horror, novel
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv
Kai
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
“When the sea goes down, there will come from the mainland boats and men. And they will find ten dead bodies and an unsolved problem on Soldier Island.”

My first Agatha Christie, and a good one indeed. And Then There Were None just recently came to my attention. Maybe it was the new mini-series or the many people suddenly reading this, but I was intrigued immediately. I can't wait to watch the series!

Agatha Christie totally tricked me. I thought I had figured it out, but I was wrong. This novel t
Junta
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Junta by: Detective Conan
"Ten literary Goodreads reviewers chatting online;
One bot was discovered and then there were Nine.
Nine literary Goodreads reviewers on a thread until late;
One lost his Wi-Fi signal and then there were Eight.
Eight literary Goodreads reviewers groupreading Austen;
One only read males and then there were Seven.
Seven literary Goodreads reviewers averse to using pics;
One blasphemed with GIFs and then there were Six.
Six literary Goodreads reviewers booktubing live;
One revealed too much and then ther
marilyn
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and narrated by Dan Stevens.

A couple of my friends have been reading Agatha Christie books and seeing their reviews stirred an interest in them because I've never read Agatha Christie before. I feel like this book was an excellent introduction to Christie and I had a grand time trying to figure out just what was going on and who was doing what. Once the characters were introduced, I printed a page of their names and descriptions so I could keep them st
preoccupiedbybooks
A fantastically written mystery, which kept me guessing the whole time, and managed to surprise me with its ending!

My first Agatha Christie book smashed it! What a genius!

I thoroughly enjoyed this whodunit, and could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. Admittedly, I'm not great at figuring out who the villain is, but this was spectacularly written, and had me scratching my head! More importantly, the ending was great, it had me saying whaaaaat?!

At first I thought I would be ove
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the different results is the definition of insanity according to Einstein.
But let me tell you something: I’m rereading this book for tenth time and each time I read, I love it more and catch another detail and change my thoughts about some of the characters. It’s getting better like aged wine! So if it makes you insane to enjoy this book over and over again, I happily accept this definition as another personality trait!🥂🥂🎉
Carol
A GREAT murder mystery and my favorite Agatha Christie. Even though I knew the story and saw the movie long ago, I Loved every minute of it! Reading the book was so much better.

Note: Eating tinned tongue, Ewwwww!

Paula
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All mystery readers
Recommended to Paula by: Bookclub
And I thought I did not like Agatha Christie!

What a fantastic mystery. A few people are invited to an island under dubious pretenses, and they all show! All of a sudden each individuals supposed crime is brought to light and mysteriously they are picked off one by one...So much fun...

The ending is shocking and so well done.

I don’t read these type of mysteries, as anyone that corresponds with me on Goodreads knows, I prefer ‘dark and disturbing’ when it comes to suspense thrillers. Well surprise,
EmBibliophile
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
5 stars

I truly believe this was the blueprint for every whodunit story!

Ten people have been invited to an isolated island. One by one the guests are killed. After searching the island to find no one but them, they start to realise that the murderer is actually one of them.

This is just as intense as it sounds. “Then there were none” is a masterpiece. It’s the perfect murder mystery whodunit story that I hoped it would be. It put me one the edge of my seat and I drove myself crazy trying to gu
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ten Little Niggers = And Then There were none‬, Agatha Christie
And Then There Were None is a mystery novel by English writer Agatha Christie, widely considered her masterpiece and described by her as the most difficult of her books to write. It was first published in the United Kingdom by the Collins Crime Club on 6 November 1939, as Ten Little Niggers, after the British blackface song, which serves as a major plot point. The US edition was not released until December 1939; its American reprints
NReads
Jan 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this in one sit.
Evgeny
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ten Figures

To talk about the plot of this book however briefly would give spoilers right away. For people who have not read them, spoilers kill Agatha Christie books. Basically there is a small isolated island bought by an American millionaire which was later sold to a mysterious party generating a lot of rumors about the latest buyer. A group of very different people ended up on the island.
Island

If you are familiar with the Dame of Mystery's writing you would guess there will be a murder. If you have read sever
Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a masterpiece! Dame Agatha Christie's achievement is remarkable. She creates ten characters, all suspected of murder, who are lured to an island. She has them meet their deaths one by one as nominated in the nursery rhyme "Ten Little Indians" which is displayed in their rooms. She has each murder occur in a situation where almost all the other island guests might have had opportunity to commit it.

Set on an isolated island without contact of the outside civilization, a group of ten
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy Read with sweet Nasom :)

(Spoilers are in spoiler tags!)

There was something magical about an island-the mere word suggested fantasy. You lost touch with the world-an island was a world of its own. A world, perhaps, from which you might never return.

What would you do if you were invited to a place raved about everywhere, a place where your friend, someone you met once, your colleague, or some old pal invited to you to? Or maybe if you were called in for employment, to be a secretary or d
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
SUCH a superb mystery. Wow.
Karina
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much! It was thrilling, scary, gory and deceptive. Everything I need to bite my nails and tell the kids to shut up and get away. (JK... maybe) She sure knows how to set the tone. Who would have thought to make a serial killer with a conscience? And that sing-song.... nice touch, Agatha!

I forgot to add that I bought this as a used book. Someone had highlighted and made notes throughout the book! It took away from me enjoying it fully because the person left so many clues.
Play Book Tag: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 5 stars 1 4 9 hours, 4 min ago
#ClassicsCommunit...: November Christie Classic: And Then There Were None 6 21 Oct 24, 2020 05:12PM
Did anyone suspect? 158 1532 Oct 17, 2020 08:34PM