All Challenges All The Time discussion

Archives > First Line Spell Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jingles (last edited Nov 09, 2020 05:01PM) (new)

jingles | 3480 comments Mod
First Line Spell Challenge
Duration: 6 Months from Start Date

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A big thank you to Teri-K for this challenge idea.

To complete this challenge you will spell out the first line of a book (of your choice) using the first letter of the first word in books you read. Forwards, Dedications and Quotes do NOT count.

Example:
Using Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen as an example, you would spell out the following first line:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

It would look like this:

✔1. I = "I tell you, Patricia Anne, I'm sick and tired of always being some man's sex slave."
Murder on a Bad Hair Day|Anne George|06.29.18
✔2. T = The scientist had forgotten all about the radium.
The Radium Girls|Kate Moore|06.23.18
✔3. I = In the graveyard of the Church of St. Peter & St. Mary, men gather in silence on the edge of the drowned marshes.
The Taxidermist's Daughter|Kate Mosse|06.23.18
✔4. S = Stan entered stage left.
Smoke and Mirrors|Elly Griffiths|07.03.18
5. A
✔6. T = The saga of England's medieval queens is vivid and stirring, packed with tragedy, high drama and even comedy.
Queens of the Conquest|Alison Weir|06.21.18
7. R
8. U
9. T
✔10. H = Hannah Swensen moved to the front of the rectangular box and braced herself.
Fudge Cupcake Murder|Joanne Fluke|07.02.18
11. U
12. N
✔13. I = It was something you didn't often see on the expressway: a factory- condition '48 Chevy woodie, glossy black - it had, easily, twenty coats of paint - with gleaming wooden side panels from which came its nickname, and whitewalls like new ivory.
Death is a Cabaret|Deborah Morgan|06.17.18
14. V
15. E
16. R
✔17. S = Sarah opened the door to find a ragged little boy on her front stoop.
Murder on Washington Square|Victoria Thompson|06.28.18
18. A
✔19. L = Like thousands of other erudite, discerning people, you've decided to spend your summer vacation on an island off the coast of Massachusetts.
The Identicals|Elin Hilderbrand|06.09.18
20. L
✔21. Y = "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
City of Bones|Cassandra Clare|06.12.18
22. A
23. C
24. K
25. N
26. O
✔27. W = What exactly was the protocol for leaving tampons in a guy's bathroom?
Beyond What is Given|Rebecca Yarros|06.05.18
28. L
29. E
✔30. D = "Dancing Queen," Sara Linton mumbled with the music as she made her way around the skating rink.
Kisscut|Karin Slaughter|06.09.18
✔31. G = Gunter crept through the darkness, shining his flashlight on the wall in front of him.
Curious Minds|Janet Evanovich|07.09.18
32. E
✔33. D = The dense mass of stars was unusually ominous and threatening, as if the whole tangle of constellations was up to no damn good. (choosing to ignore "the")
Robert B. Parker's The Bridge|Robert Knott|06.26.18
✔34. T = The boy had not had a bad day without a headache in weeks.
To Die but Once|Jacqueline Winspear|07.06.18
35. H
36. A
37. T
38. A
39. S
✔40. I = In my apartment in California there hangs a picture of my grandfather.
Wingshooters|Nina Revoyr|06.16.18
41. N
42. G
43. L
44. E
✔45. M = "Mr. Adams!" the old lady shrieked.
John Quincy Adams|Harlow Giles Unger|06.14.18
46. A
47. N
✔48. I = "I guess this is it," Joel said, leaning into the doorway of our apartment.
The Violets of March|Sarah Jio|06.13.18
49. N
✔50. P = "Pukey Lukey is here," my sister Mary Alice murmured as she was ushered into the front pew beside me.
Murder Runs in the Family|Anne George|07.10.18|
51. O
52. S
53. S
54. E
55. S
56. S
✔57. I = I was ten years old when I was saved for the first time.
Velva Jean Learns to Drive: A Novel|Jennifer Niven|06.10.18
58. O
59. N
60. O
61. F
62. A
63. G
64. O
65. O
66. D
67. F
68. O
69. R
70. T
71. U
72. N
73. E
74. M
75. U
76. S
77. T
78. B
79. E
80. I
81. N
82. W
83. A
84. N
85. T
86. O
87. F
88. A
89. W
90. I
91. F
92. E

Challenge Rules and Guidelines:
You will need to post the entire first line that you have chosen to spell out, along with a link to the book title that line comes from, and the author of that book. In addition: For each letter of your spell out, you will need to post the entire first line of the sentence you are using for that letter, a link to the title of the book that line comes from, the author's name, and the date you finished reading the book. Articles such as "a", "an" and "the" can be used or ignored - your choice.

There is no page count requirement. All books and formats are welcome.

ETA: For the hard letters Q, X, Y and Z, the letter need only be found within the first word of your book.

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※
F I N I S H E R S
※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Barb
Denise
Karen Kay, R1
Karen Kay, R2
Karen Kay, R3
Tari
jingles

message 2: by jingles (last edited Nov 09, 2020 05:01PM) (new)

P A R T I C I P A N T S

photo 49323fb2-c897-4f9e-8081-39bf04cf56ba_zpsgfnb8sju.jpg

Ed

Hannah

Judy

Kay

Lizz

Suzanne

message 3: by jingles (new)

message 4: by jingles (last edited Nov 09, 2020 05:00PM) (new)

111. ACATT: First Line Spell Challenge
Date: 08/01/18 - 01/31/19
23/23 Completed

Challenge Link: ACATT: First Line Spell Challenge

Book of Choice: Divided in Death|J.D. Robb
First Line: Killing was too good for him.

✔1. K = Kelly Flynn nosed her car onto the gravel driveway and pulled to a stop in front of the familiar little house perched beside a golf course.
Knit One, Kill Two|Maggie Sefton|04.14.20
✔2. I = I woke up when a man sat on my bed.
Toe to Toe|Sammie Grace|08.05.18|★★★
✔3. L = Last night I dreamed of Paul.
The Inn at Rose Harbor|Debbie Macomber|12.09.18|★★★★
✔4. L = Like most, my professional edeavors are largely separate and distinct from personal hobbies and passions.
Lincoln's Last Trial|Dan Abrams|04.02.20
✔5. I = It’s not every day that I get a naked girl answering the door I knock on.
Alex Cross, Run|James Patterson|08.06.18|★★★
✔6. N = Next to winning the Civil War and abolishing slavery, building the first transcontinental railroad, from Omaha, Nebraska, to Sacramento, California, was the greatest achievement of the American people in the nineteenth century.
Nothing Like it in the World|Stephen E. Ambrose|06.14.19|★★★
✔7. G = “Get out of there, Boyd yelled from outside the house.
The Search|Iris Johansen|03.08.19|★★★
✔8. W = Will Robie crouched shadowlike at a window in a deserted building, inside a country that was currently an ally of the United States.
The Guilty|David Baldacci|08.02.18|★★★★
✔9. A = A new day.
One Tiny Miracle...|Carol Marinelli|08.19.18|★★★★
✔10. S = She’d gotten through the entire evening without killing anyone.
Visions in Death|J.D. Robb|03.11.19|★★★
✔11. T = There hadn’t been a suicide note.
Too Close to Breathe|Olivia Kiernan|08.03.18|★★
✔12. O = Opening Day. Said separately, they’re just two ordinary words.
First Degree|David Rosenfelt|09.03.18|★★★
✔13. O = Olivia Limoges rolled the newest edition of Bride magazine into a tight cylinder and brought it down onto the counter with a resounding thwack!
Lethal Letters|Ellery Adams|11.19.19|★★★
✔14. G = General Krulak said, when he was commandant of the Marine Corps, every year starting about a week before Christmas he and his wife would bake hundreds and hundreds of Christmas cookes.
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy|Jim Proser|02.14.20
✔15. O = One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is to have a happy childhood.
Agatha Christie: An Autobiography|Agatha Christie|12.10.19|★★★
✔16. O = Once the sun went down in Virgin River there wasn’t a whole lot of entertainment for Sean Riordan, unless he wanted to sit by the fire at his brother Luke’s house.
Angel's Peak|Robyn Carr|12.16.19|★★★
✔17. D = Drowning isn’t pretty, even in paradise.
Blood Orchids|Toby Neal|05.18.19|★★★★
✔18. F = Five minutes had passed since the deputy’s eyelids first fluttered open, and he still hadn’t spoken, so I figured maybe it was up to me to break the ice.
Carved in Bone|Jefferson Bass|12.22.19|★★★
✔19. O = On a frigid midwinter day, Mike Crowell slows his Chevy Impala to a stop and turns his domelike head from left to right, scanning the street for the man he thinks is a killer.
A Good Month for Murder|Del Quentin Wilber|01.06.20
✔20. R = Rain fell like tiny silver teardrops from the tired sky.
On Mystic Lake|Kristin Hannah|03.14.19|★★★
✔21. H = “Here comes the bride”.
No Time to Explain|Kate Angell|08.04.18|★★★
✔22. I = I am sure that if I sat in a quiet place, away from the palace and the bustle of the court, I could remember scenes from my childhood much earlier than six years old.
The Heretic Queen|Michelle Moran|08.16.18|★★★★
✔23. M = Mrs. Gregson’s elderly voice, raised in its never-ending vendetta against the nurses making her bed, penetrated throughout the entire ward; it even penetrated Sister’s office, so that its occupant rose from her work at her desk with a sigh, opened the swing doors and made her way down the long ward to where her troublesome patient lay.
Last April Fair|Betty Neels|08.15.18|★★★

☀☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀CHALLENGE COMPLETED 04/14/20☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀♡☀☀

message 5: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 395 comments I'll be joining after I've had a chance to find an appropriate first line to start with...

message 6: by jingles (new)

Don't do what I did, Connie. I picked the ebook I'm currently reading, and before I knew it, I'd signed up for a boatload of O letters.

Hmm.....I think this is going to take me way longer than six months to finish. But wait, maybe I'm not being optimistic about it. Perhaps the O letters will be easier to find as beginning sentences go :)

One can only hope...

message 7: by Barb (last edited Jul 27, 2018 03:07PM) (new)

Barb I'm toying with this one, but first have to find a book with a 'reasonable' first line. My current ebook starts with "It was like being in a forest of frozen women." Nope, not even going to *try to find a book whose first line starts with Z!

Don't have my current print book at hand right now. The next one up is sitting here, but that's out too. "I was cutting a pan of Cinderella Pink Fudge into twenty-four bite-sized squares on the white marble-slab table near the window that fronted the docks when my friend Pauline Mertens burst through the door, rattling the cowbell hooked to the knob." Another Z... and a Q too! And look how long that thing is, good grief!

So ... if I can find a book that I think I can work with, I'll be back :)

message 8: by Barb (last edited Nov 04, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Barb jingles wrote: "One can only hope..."

You just need a boatload of books that begin with that phrase: One can only hope... :D

message 9: by Barb (last edited Jan 25, 2019 08:18PM) (new)

Barb FIRST LINE SPELL CHALLENGE, 8/1 /18- 1/31/19
28/28 COMPLETE

BOOK : How to Train Your Dragon, by Cressida Cowell
LINE : There were dragons when I was a boy.

T = The perp looked around – what nasty little eyes he had! – and saw there was nowhere to go.
Thereby Hangs a Tail (Chet & Bernie #2), by Spencer Quinn, finished 8/7 ★★★★
H = He was whistling.
Hitting the Books (Library Lovers #9), by Jenn McKinlay, finished 8/27 ★★★★
E = Every day we fake it a little bit.
The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do, by Samantha Ettus, finished 8/16 ★★★★
R = (The) rumors are true.
Merry Market Murder (Farmers Market #5), by Paige Shelton, finished 12/16 ★★★★
E = Elmer Henry, mayor of Hemlock Falls, swallowed the last spoonful of zabalogne, disposed of the crystallized mint leaf with a loud crunch, and burped in satisfaction.
A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls #1), by Claudia Bishop, finished 8/22 ★★★★

W = "What's your favorite color?"
You May Also Like: Taste in an Age of Endless Choice, by Tom Vanderbilt, finished 8/23 ★★★.5
E = Edward Hall sat under the front porch of the big house on Walden Street in Concord, Massachusetts, and though about his two ambitions in life.
The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles #1), by Jane Langton, finished 9/14 ★★★.5
R = Rehearsal was finally, finally over.
Unharmonious, by Laine Boyd, finished 1/17 ★★★
E = Even those who didn't darken the door of the church from one Christmas to the nex|t could tell there would be more mourners than seats.
The Dry (Aaron Falk #1), by Jane Harper, finished 11/9 ★★★★

D = "Dr. Baker," I said, "I look awful."
You Don't Look Your Age ... And Other Fairy Tales, by Sheila Nevins, finished 10/20 ★★★
R = Ritz, Paris
The Final Cut (Brit in the FBI #1), by Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison, finished 1/23 ★★★★
A = A German Spy drops from a black Focke-Wulf reconnaissance plane over Cambridgeshire.
Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love and Betrayal, by Ben Macintyre, finished 8/5 ★★★.5
G = Gus Riskin sipped from a bottle of water as he surveyed Trey's living room.
The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench #9), by P.J. Tracy, finished 8/9 ★★★★.5
O = Old Mel hired one of Da's nephews - the slow-witted one with the dent in his forehead - to sink a well in his back acre.
Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1), by Colin Cotterill, finished 9/9 ★★★.5
N = NYPD Homicide detective Nikki Heat double-parked her gray Crown Victoria behind the coroner van and stroke toward the pizza joint where a body waited.
Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat #5), by Richard Castle, finished 9/4 ★★★.5
S = Slumped on his suitcase, Ferdinand Brun, age eighty-three, helplessly surveys his apartment, which he is leaving forever.
Out of Sorts, by Aurélie Valognes, finished 8/3 ★★.5

W = "What's the matter with you, Clare?"
Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse #14), by Cleo Coyle, finished 8/26 ★★★.5
H = Hannah Swensen took her mother's potholders off the hook by the stove and removed a sheet of cookies from the oven.
Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23), by Joanne Fluke, finished 10/18 ★★★
E = Elizabeth Cubbon, known as Bessie to her friends, rubbed her eyes and checked the clock by her bed.
Aunt Bessie Assumes (Isle of Man #1), by Diana Xarissa, finished 12/28 ★★★.5
N = No graveyards; that bothered Anna.
Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon #3), by Nevada Barr, finished 10/31 ★★★.5

I = I could just kill him.
Halloween Murder (Lucy Stone #3 and #16), by Leslie Meier, finished 8/6 ★★★.5

W = When Leah Taylor heard the pounding on her front door at seven o'clock in the morning, she jumped, nearly sloshing her coffee all over her hand.
Love Gone to the Dogs (Second Chances #1), by Margaret Daley, finished 9/1 ★★★
A = At the end of December 2015, winter had not yet reached Brooklyn.
In the Midst of Winter, by Isabel Allende, finished 9/17 ★★★
S = Sometimes in the shower he'd think of it.
The Testament of Harold's Wife, by Lynne Hugo, finished 9/16 ★★★.5

A = As Daniel yawned and climbed into his father's car that morning, he saw a poodle being dressed in a red knitted coat.
The Half Life of Stars, by Louise Werner, finished 10/21 ★★★

B = "But I don't want to do it."
Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks #8), by Miranda James, finished 10/27 ★★★★
O = One night, in a forsaken inn of Alta Verapaz, a man of a certain age approached my table as I was finishing my meal and asked in ceremonial Spanish if he could speak to me.
The Merchant of Death (Cycle of Xhól #1), by Cécile Chabot, finished 10/28 ★★★
Y = You have to go to the ends of the Earth in order to leave the Earth.
Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery, by Scott Kelly, finished 1/12 ★★★★

Out of Sorts by Aurélie Valognes Agent Zigzag A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal by Ben Macintyre Halloween Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) by Leslie Meier Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2) by Spencer Quinn The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9) by P.J. Tracy The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do by Samantha Ettus A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1) by Claudia Bishop You May Also Like Taste in an Age of Endless Choice by Tom Vanderbilt Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #14) by Cleo Coyle Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9) by Jenn McKinlay
Love Gone to the Dogs (Second Chances #1) by Margaret Daley Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat, #5) by Richard Castle Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1) by Colin Cotterill The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) by Jane Langton The Testament of Harold's Wife by Lynne Hugo In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23) by Joanne Fluke You Don't Look Your Age And Other Fairy Tales by Sheila Nevins The Half Life of Stars by Louise Wener Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks, #8) by Miranda James
The Merchant of Death A Mayan Mystery (The Cycle of Xhól #1) by Cécile Chabot Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3) by Nevada Barr The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5) by Paige Shelton Aunt Bessie Assumes (Isle of Man #1) by Diana Xarissa Endurance A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly Unharmonious by Laine Boyd The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1) by Catherine Coulter

***** CHALLENGE COMPLETE 1/23/19 *****

message 10: by Ed (last edited Sep 19, 2020 05:24PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 2145 comments I'm in.

Duration: 6 Months from Start Date-
FIRST LINE SPELL CHALLENGE, 8/1 /18- 1/31/19

You will need to post the entire first line that you have chosen to spell out, along with a link to the book title that line comes from, and the author of that book. In addition: For each letter of your spell out, you will need to post the entire first line of the sentence you are using for that letter, a link to the title of the book that line comes from, the author's name, and the date you finished reading the book. Articles such as "a", "an" and "the" can be used or ignored - your choice.

1st line from Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto:

"Westie had left the valley at dawn to head home."

35/38

W-"We slept in what had once been the gymnasium."- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood-8/22/18
E-"Everyone thinks it was because of the snow." If I Stay by Gayle Forman
S-Shock has a chilling effect particularly when it takes the form of an unexpected meeting with a man from whom you have stolen $3 million worth of wine." - The Marseille Caper by Peter Mayle
T- "The rains were so late that year."- Maru by Bessie Head
I-"I stepped back to admire my handiwork."- Marigolds and Murder by London Lovett
E-"Every summer Stina visted her grandfather in his house by the sea." Stina by Lena Anderson 3/9/19

H- —“Her mother said it three times.”- Life and Death of Harriet Frean by May Sinclair 1/10/20
A-"After changing his five franc piece Georges Duroy left the restaurant."- Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant
D- "December in East London is hot and humid." A Fish Caught in Time: The Search for the Coelacanth by Samantha Weinberg

L-"Little Nutbrown Hare who was going to bed, held on tight to Big Nutbrown Hare's very long ears." Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
E- "Early one spring morning in 1989, I rode my Flying Pigeon bicycle through the streets of Nanjing dreaming about my son PanPan." Xinran- The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices 4/11/19
F-"For some reason, I recall it as just me and Bruce." Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry 11/8/18
T-"Two rivers. Flowing in contrary directions." Achilles by Madeline Miller 8/22/18

T-"The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest."- Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 8/24/18
H- To a God Unknown by John Steinbeck 7/12/20
E-"Emil is running after his slum kids, panting in the noonday sun, loosening the high collar of his shirt as he goes." Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan 4/20/19

V- "The village headman, a man of about fifty, sat cross-legged in the centre of the room, close to the coals burning in a hearth that was hollowed out of the floor..." Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie 11/4/18
A-"'Anyway he knows how to fascinate the women," said Et to Char."- Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You: 13 Stories by Alice Munro
L-"Lydia heard the distant flap of paper wings as the first book fell from its shelf." Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan 12/11/18
L-"Let me tell you something about trees." From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan 1/11/19
E-"E. Forbes Smiley III couldn't stop coughing." The Map Thief by Michael Blanding 4/23/19
Y- "Yes, I want a job."- The Curriculum Vitae of Aurora Ortiz by Almudena Solana 1/27/19

A-"Amos, a mouse, lived by the ocean." Amos & Boris 10/9/18
T- "The family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex."- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

D-"The date at which the following events are assumed to
have occurred may be set down as between 1840 and 1850,
when the old watering place herein called "Budmouth" still
retained sufficient afterglow from its Georgian gaiety
and prestige to lend it an absorbing attractiveness to
the romantic and imaginative soul of a lonely dweller inland."-The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy 10/18/18
A- "A storm is rolling in, and that always makes me a little sad and wistful..." These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 by Nancy E. Turner 2/14/19
W-"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind- Paul Newman and a ride home.- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
N-"The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock." Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison 10/26/18

T-"There was a time , and it was many years ago now, when I had to stay in a hospital for almost nine weeks."- My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
O-"One day Alfie and Mom and Annie Rose were coming home from shopping."- Alfie Gets in First by Shirley Hughes 9/4/18

H
E-"Ever since dawn the track had followed the hillside across a tangle of bamboos and elephant grass in which horse and rider sometimes disappeared entirely..." The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary 8/21/19
A-"According to the newspapers, there are two main problems besetting the modern word..." - How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays by Umberto Eco 2/19/19
D-"Deep in Honduras, in a region called La Mosquitia, lie some of the last unexplored places on earth." The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston 11/1/18

H
O-"On Friday noon, July the twentieth, 1714, the finest bridge in all Peru broke and precipitated five travelers into the gulf below." - The Bridge of San Luis Rey 10/1/18
M- "A moment of utter silence hung over that particular spot on the northern Delta where the estate stretches away so far that its end can hardly be seen.- The Sinners by Yusuf Idris
E- "Ever since dawn the track had followed the hillside across a tangle of bamboos and elephant grass in which horse and rider sometimes disappeared entirely..."The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary 9/6/19

message 11: by jingles (new)

Barb wrote: "You just need a boatload of books that being with that phrase: One can only hope... :D"

Yes I do, Barb!!

Also - I need to go back and add the usual qualifiers for the hard letters - Q, X, Y and Z.

I forgot about it until I saw your post regarding the Z.

message 12: by jingles (new)

Welcome, Barb and Ed! Thanks so much for joining me!!

message 13: by KarenK2 (last edited Jan 28, 2019 01:30PM) (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments I'm calling this one done, I found everything but a "U".

I'm going to start with a relatively short sentence and see how it goes. This is the final book of the Poldark series, I just finished reading the whole series and absolutely loved it!
Bella Poldark (Poldark, #12) by Winston Graham Bella Poldark by Winston Graham

7.29.18 to 1.29.19

✔T.. Two dead men changed the course of my life that fall.
W is for Wasted/Sue Grafton
Read 8.5.18. 4☆

✔H .. Here's the first thing you need to know about Miss Cathy Williams: I am the daughter of a daughter of a queen and my mama never let me forget it.
Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen/Sarah Bird
Read 8.29.18 3☆

✔E .. Even if she hadn't been the last person to walk through the turnstile at Warren Street tube station, Jack Barker would have noticed the tall, slender woman in the navy blue, thigh-length jacket with a matching pleated skirt short enough to reveal a well-turned ankle. Maisie Dobbs/Jacqueline Winspear
Read 9.21.18 3☆

✔E .. Emma pushed through the door of the ladies room by reception and turned on a tap and held her palms upward, letting cool water run over the veins in her wrists, the trick Arlette had taught her when she was in Pre-K, to calm herself.The Latecomers/Helen Klein Ross
Read 10.29.18 3☆

✔V - Vienna, Austria. The Only Woman in the Room/Marie Benedict
Read 12.1.18 3☆

✔E - Evan is nineteen, fresh off the plane, trained up, mission-ready.
Out of the Dark/Gregg Hurwitz
Read 11.3.18 4☆

✔N .. Nobody came to my seventh birthday party.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane/Neil Gaiman
Read 7.31.18. 4☆

✔I .. I have watched old people die, and young ones, too.
Be Still the Water/Karen Emilson
Read 8.1.18 3.25 ☆

✔N .. Now I think the picture was unspooling all along and I just failed to notice. Virgil Wander/Leif Enger
Read 9.26.18 3☆

✔G - Giovanni: Roma, April 14, 1577
The Chef's Secret/Crystal King
Read 1.7.19 4☆

✔W .. When the sun come back, when the first quail call, then the time is come: Follow the Drinking Gourd.
Up from Freedom/Wayne Grady
Read 8.12.18. 4☆

✔A .. Alfred Pinfold's father, George, lay in the final throes of a long and painful illness. The Violin/Lindsay Pritchard
Read 9.19.18 3☆

✔S .. Santa Teresa, California, Monday, March 6, 1989.
X/Sue Grafton
Read 8.14.18. 4☆

✔L .. Lauren is flirting with my fiance' over the dinner I spent hours preparing.
After Nightfall/A.J. Banner
Read 8.5.18. 3☆

✔O .. On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday.
The Thorn Birds/Colleen McCullough
Read 9.8.18 4☆

U

✔D - Daddy never wanted to do nothing much other than grow cotton, and the way he'd gone at it, we figured that would be the thing to kill him, but it wasn't.
The Forgiving Kind/Donna Everhart
Read 12.23.18 3☆

✔A .. A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside the door, kept repeating over and over: "Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
The Awakening/Kate Chopin
Read 9.21.18 3☆

✔N .. No one wanted to work with the man in the wheelchair. The Dream Daughter/Diane Chamberlain
Read 9.30.18 3☆

✔D - Dr. Baird is here, m'lady.
The Woman in the Lake/Nicola Cornick
Read 1.17.19 3☆

✔W .. When lovely woman stoops to folly, she can always find someone to stoop with her but not always someone to lift her up again to the level where she belongs.
The Chaperone/Laura Moriarty
Read 8.20.18 4☆

✔I .. In Dorsetshire the plague made the country quite void of inhabitants so there were almost none left alive.
The Last Hours/Minette Walters
Read 8.7.18 3☆

✔L .. Lydia is dead.
Everything I Never Told You/Celeste Ng
Read 10.16.18. 2☆

D - During the second year that Erland Nikulausson and Kristin Lavransdatter lived at Jorundgaard, Kristin decided to spend the summer up in the mountain pastures.
The Cross/Sigrid Undset

message 14: by jingles (new)

Welcome, Karen! That looks like a really good series.

message 15: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments Poldark is excellent, a must read!

message 16: by Denise (last edited Dec 20, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

Denise | 385 comments OK I don't know how you talk me into these things jingles - oh, right you didn't talk me into it you never even mentioned it - SAME THING.

The sentence I chose, for no particular reason except the first sentence I chose had two Zs in it, is from The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

7/30/18 to 1/30/19

T - "This is the story about a bus driver who would never open the door of the bus for people who were late." The Bus Driver Who Wanted to be God & Other Stories by Etger Keret 7.30.18
H-"High in the Pyrennes, on the northwest edge of the Kingdom of Aragon,the village of Tatill lay hidden from the world." Solace for a Sinner by Caroline Roe
E "Elinor was halfway up the drive when she sensed she was being watched." Noonday by Pat Barker 8.4.18

F - "From the Baltic city of St. Petersburg, built on a river marsh in a far northern corner of the empire, the Tsar ruled Russia. Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie 8.20.18
I - "I want to start with something from F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, a novel about the roaring twenties and the excesses that characterized that period just before the Great Depression." Original Zinn: Conversations on History and Politics by Howard Zinn
R
S - "The secret emerged, without warning or provocation, on anordinary April afternoon in 1995." Annie's Ghosts: A Journey Into a Family Secret by Steve Luxenberg 9.9.18
T-The King's court was in no hurry to return to England, that late autumn of 1120, even though the fighting, somewhat desultory in these last stages, was long over, and the enforced peace sealed by a royal marriage. A Rare Benedictine: The Advent of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters 10.21.18

P
E -"Even the misty drizzle that blanketed Berlin did not dampen the merriment surrounding the grand parade held on May 10, 1933." When Books Went to War: The Stories that Helped Us Win World War II by Molly Guptill Manning 8.9.18
R
S - She didn't know how long she had been kicking the sticky, withered leaves, only that her bare arms were now cold and that the shouting up at the house had become shrill, sounding so harsh and angry that it hurt her chest. The Scarred Woman by Jussi Adler-Olsen 9.22.18
O - Oh no, no, no thought Clara Morrow,as she walked toward the closed doors. A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny 11.13.18
N 9 April 1945, Moscow. Berlin Red by Sam Eastland 8.21.18

I-"I stared as the rainbow-hued blooms danced in the breeze imagining them ballerinas on the Moscow stage." Daughters of the Night Sky by Aimie Runyan

M- My father and my mother - their life together was not happy. All Whom I Have Loved by Aharon Appelfeld 10.15.18
E -Early one evening in September of 1974, a small twin-engine plane, silver and black, sailed down onto a secondary runway at Sao Paulo's Congonhas Airport, and slowing, turned aside, and taxied to a hangar where a limousine stood waiting. The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levine 11.28.18
T - The days went by so slowly. Black Seconds by Karin Fossum 12.12.18

I -"I am writing this because people I've loved have died." My Michael by Amos Oz 8.31.18
N - None of it would have happened if Spider Barnes hadn't tied one on at Eddy's two nights before the "Aurora" was due to set sail." The English Spy 10.4.18

E
N
G - "Galina carried in an aluminum pot if boiled potatoes, holding it by the handles with a kitchen towel." There Are Jews in My House by Lara Vapnyar 9.16.18
L - "Laufey!" Gunna called for the second time. Cold Comfort by Quentin Bates 12.20.18
A "All of them? Even the children?" The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 8.4.18
N
D - Davy Clancy was not a good sailor, in fact he was secretly afraid of the sea, yet here he was, on this fine summer morning, about to set out on it in a boat that looked to him like a large, complicated toy. Vengeance by Benjamin Black 10.20.18

W - "When Guy Crouchback's grandparents, Gervase and Hermione, came to Italy on their honeymoon, French troops manned the defences of Rome, the Sovereign Pontiff drove out in an open carriage and Cardinals took their exercise side-saddle on the Pincian Hill." Men at Arms by Evelyn Waugh 8.19.18
A - After an exchange of courtesies, the session had gone on for another half-hour, and Brunetti was beginning to feel the strain of it. Earthly Remains by Donna Leon 10,7.18
S -Spring returned to Badenheim. Badenheim 1939 by Aharon Appelfeld 10.7.18

A August came in, that summer of 1141, tawny as a lion and somnolent and purring as a hearthside cat. An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters 10.28.18

H - Hay, verbeba and mignonette scented the languid July day. Old New York by Edith Wharton 11.9.18
A Alleyn leaned over the deck rail, looking at the wet brown wharf and the upturned faces of the people . Artists in Crime: Inspector Roderick Alleyn #6 11.16.18
L
L
U - Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible. Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny 10.12.18
C - Castle Garden, now known as Castle Clinton National Monument, stands on the left. Castle Garden and Battery Park by Barry Moreno 12.2.18
I - In the one hundred and eleven years since the creation of the Spokane Indian Reservation in 1881, not one person, Indian or otherwise, had ever arrived there by accident. Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie 9.27.18
N
A - Anybody who has spent any length of time in Algonquin Bay will tell you there are plenty of good reasons to live somewhere else. Blackfly Season by Giles Blunt 12.4.18
T - The glass in the French window shattered. Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood 12.20.18
I - It was a day like right now, dry, hot, and dusty, dusty. The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest Gaines 10.22.18
O - On April Fool's Day, I came home from a meeting with a publisher,, hurried through my apartment house lobby, and told all the tenants waiting at the elevator. Apple of My Eye by Helene Hanff 12.7.18
N

message 17: by jingles (last edited Jul 31, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Haha! Denise, always love seeing your smiling face. And really, it's Teri-K that talked you into it. It's her challenge - I just posted it :)

Very interesting sentence. I have this book on my sansa to read at some point. Interesting first line.

Welcome to the challenge!!

message 18: by jingles (new)

Karen wrote: "Poldark is excellent, a must read!"

Good to know, Karen. I'm adding the first book of the series on my TBR.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 385 comments jingles wrote: "Haha! Denise, always love seeing your smiling face. And really, it's Teri-K that talked you into it. It's her challenge - I just posted it :)

Very interesting sentence. I have this book on my sans..."

OK its Teri's fault lol.

I like the sentence except I want to put "AN" in place of the "A" before hallucination. I believe either way is now acceptable but I grew up with "an" before the fake vowel h.

message 20: by jingles (new)

Yes...it's Teri-K's fault. She won't mind taking the fall for this one :)

I hear ya on the fake vowel thingy.

message 21: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments Denise wrote: " from The Alice Network by Kate Quinn..."

Very good book!

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise | 385 comments omg I forgot to put this in my list of challenges and completely forgot about it. arrghh! Thanks for saying something Karen as it showed up in my mailbox.

message 23: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments 🤓🤓🤓

message 24: by jingles (new)

Lol. I do that all the time, Denise. If I don't add the challenge to my worksheet when I sign up for it, I usually lose track of it altogether, and never remember.

message 25: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 16, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 462 comments All Challenges All The Time
First Line Spell Challenge
Duration:
7/1/2019 - 12/31/2019

Progress: 33 out of 55

To complete this challenge you will spell out the first line of a book (of your choice) using the first letter of the first word in books you read. Forwards, Dedications and Quotes do NOT count.

Example:
(view spoiler)

ETA: For the hard letters Q, X, Y and Z, the letter need only be found within the first word of your book.

message 26: by Suzanne (last edited Feb 12, 2020 01:25PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 462 comments "This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it." - Princess Bride

T = "This is not for gingerbread men, which is more of a cookie recipe as it has to stay hard and crunchy."
Christmas at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan - ***** - 7/29/2019 - 351 Pages
H = "How ridiculously simple it would be to cause them harm."
Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank - *** - 8/31/2019 - 376 Pages
I = "Irene passed the mop across the stone floor in smooth, careful strokes, idly admiring the gleam of wet flagstones in the lantern-light."
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman - ***** - 7/17/2019 - 329 Pages
S = "Scarlett Elizabeth Parker, put down the MoonPie and listen to me," Vivian Tremont ordered.
Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay - ***** - 9/6/2019 - 281 Pages

I = "Isabella's footman rang the bell at the house of Lord Mac Mackenzie on Mount Street, while Isabella waited in the landau, wondering for the dozenth time since she'd set off whether this were wise."
Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley - **** - 7/18/2019 - 316 Pages
S = "So you hiding a body in here of something?"
Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues by Diana Rowland - ***** - 12/7/2019 - 312 Pages

M = "Midnight came and went with only the quiet buzz of meager traffic along the beach."
When You Dare by Lori Foster - *** - 7/7/2019 - 448 Pages
Y = "The year the Psy race became Silent."
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh - **** - 10/21/2019 - 432 Pages

F = "The first time, November 6 to be exact, I wake up at two a.m. with a tingling in my head like tiny fireflies dancing behind my eyes."
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand - **** - 10/2/2019 - 435 Pages
A = "Amanda came awake to an awful throbbing in her head."
Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon - ***** - 8/9/2019 - 309 Pages
V
O = "October? October, are you there?"
Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire - ***** - 7/30/2019 - 346 Pages
R
I = "I saw Mrs. Chase slide that letter into Lord Cameron's pocket."
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley - **** - 8/7/2019 - 320 Pages
T = "The man didn't look like much at first glance."
Slouch Witch by Helen Harper - ***** - 9/2/2019 - 342 Pages
E = "Ellis lied everything about his obituary, even if it wasn't true."
The Worm Whisperer by Betty Hicks - ***** - 1/5/2020 - 192 Pages

B = "Blub."
When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare - ***** - 8/12/2019 - 376 Pages
O = "Of all the smoky bars in Seattle, he had to walk into the Loose Screw, the dive where I worked five nights a week pulling beer and choking on secondhand smoke."
See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson - ***** - 12/2/2019 - 363 Pages
O
K = "Kim cracked open the door an inch."
Losing Control by Nina Croft - *** - 10/1/2019 - 250 Pages

I = "'It's not the end of the world,' Stacy said."
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach - *** - 9/11/2019 - 370 Pages
N = "Now that I was definitely going to the Senetsky School of Performing Arts in New York City, I asked Mommy to tell me once again what it was life for her to come to America from Russia when she was just a little older than I was now."
Falling Stars by V.C. Andrews - **** - 9/29/2019 - 416 Pages

A = "At first blush, we are not obvious partners."
The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives by William Stixrud - ***** - 8/14/2019 - 384 Pages
L = "Long ago, Namid gave birth to all kinds of life, including the beings known as humans."
Written in Red by Anne Bishop - ***** - 11/12/2019 - 433 Pages
L

T = "The end came quickly, and there wasn't any pain."
Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - **** - 10/19/2019 - 277 Pages
H = "Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed."
A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas - ***** - 10/25/2019 - 323 Pages
E

W = "When Ross MacLeod pulled the trigger and brought down the pheasant, he had no way of knowing he'd killed himself."
Year One by Nora Roberts - ***** - 8/6/2019 - 419 Pages
O
R
L
D = "Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have."
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - ***** - 7/11/2019 - 213 Pages

T = "Two small pairs of boots echoed on the afternoon cobblestones-one pair in a sprint, the other in a stumble and slide."
Sea Witch by Sarah Henning - **** - 11/5/2019 - 368 Pages
H
O
U
G = "Gina never asked about the garage."
Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine - ***** - 7/8/2019 - 286 Pages
H

I = "I hope that my letter finds you well."
A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole - ***** - 9/23/2019 - 360 Pages

H
A = "At 30,000 feet, somewhere between Buffalo and Dallas, he put his magazine in his seat pocket, turned in my direction, and asked, 'What kind of work do you do'?"
The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Gary Chapman - ***** - 9/11/2019 - 204 Pages
V
E

N
E
V
E
R

R
E
A = "A faint chime tugged me out of sleep."
One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews - ***** - 9/25/2019 - 340 Pages
D

I = "I stashed my baskest of dirty rags and Turtle Wax by the exit door in the arcade."
Joyland by Stephen King - ***** - 9/23/2019 - 283 Pages
T = "The summer is made for stoop-sitting."
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo - ***** - 12/9/2019 - 368 Pages

When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1) by Rachel Caine The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) by Jennifer Ashley Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2) by Jenny Colgan Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3) by Tessa Dare The Self-Driven Child The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives by William Stixrud Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Slouch Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic, #1) by Helen Harper Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach The Five Love Languages How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Gary Chapman A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1) by Alyssa Cole Joyland by Stephen King One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3) by Ilona Andrews Falling Stars (Shooting Stars, #5) by V.C. Andrews Losing Control (Babysitting a Billionaire, #1) by Nina Croft Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1) by Sherry Thomas Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1) by Sarah Henning Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) by Rachel Gibson Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2) by Diana Rowland The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11) by Patricia Briggs The Worm Whisperer by Betty Hicks

(Updated through Never Marry a Viscount)

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 462 comments Reserved

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 462 comments Reserved

message 29: by jingles (new)

Welcome, Suzanne!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 41 comments First Line Spell Challenge
11/1/18-4/30/19
Books 4

Book of Choice: Blood and Bullets
First Line: Some Nights are destined to go to hell.

S
o
m
e

N
i
g
h
t
s

a
r
e

d
e
s
t
i
n
e
d

t
o

g
o

t
o

h
e
l
l

message 31: by Barb (new)

Barb Yanno ... I started this challenge back in July, but have yet to find a book whose first line starts with R -- and I need three of them! It's getting very frustrating :(

message 32: by jingles (new)

Welcome to the challenge, Lizz!

message 33: by jingles (new)

Barb wrote: "Yanno ... I started this challenge back in July, but have yet to find a book whose first line starts with R -- and I need three of them! It's getting very frustrating :("

How close are you to being done, Barb? Is that the only letter you have left?

message 34: by Barb (new)

Barb No, I still need two others -- I think one E and one Y? I haven't given up hope on those yet though :)

message 35: by jingles (new)

Okay...let me know. We might need to tweak this one a bit.

message 36: by Barb (new)

Barb I just figured I'm choosing the wrong books to read :) My six months is up at the end of January, so there's still a chance that I can find the right books.

message 37: by Barb (new)

Barb Yeehaw! Four and half months into a six-month challenge and I finally found a book whose first line starts with R! Now to find two more -- and one for Y -- in the next month...

message 38: by jingles (last edited Dec 30, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Awesome, Barb! This challenge is more difficult than one would think.

message 39: by Denise (new)

Denise | 385 comments Barb wrote: "Yeehaw! Four and half months into a six-month challenge and I finally found a book whose first line starts with R! Now to find two more -- and one for Y -- in the next month..."

I haven't found any R either! Interesting which letters are tougher than others.

message 40: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments For me, it's been vowels (other than "I") that have been hard to find.

message 41: by Barb (new)

Barb I've been surprised at how many books I've found whose first line begins with I. I didn't think I read that many first-person books, but I guess I do!

message 42: by Barb (new)

Barb Denise wrote: "I haven't found any R either! Interesting which letters are tougher than others."

Agreed! I never would have guessed that R would be so hard to find.

message 43: by Barb (new)

Barb Last night, I used Google Books to search for the first line of the books I hope to read in January. I found the Y line I need, and one of the two remaining R lines. So as long as I actually read those books next month, there's hope :) I'll only be one R line short, but who knows how long it will take to find one?

message 44: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments Barb wrote: "I've been surprised at how many books I've found whose first line begins with I. I didn't think I read that many first-person books, but I guess I do!"

Karen Kay wrote: "For me, it's been vowels (other than "I") that have been hard to find."

For me, it's not just the first person books. It is unfathomable how many books begin with 'it, is, in', etc.!!

message 45: by Barb (new)

Barb Yep, I've found that too. The things you learn while working on challenges... :D

message 46: by Barb (new)

Barb jingles, I'm down to needing one more R book to finish this thing, and I've been surprised at how hard it is to find first lines beginning with R.

I just did a search on Google Books for the first lines of the books I hope to read soon and found one whose setting begins with R. It's the first line of the book -- Rannoch House, Belgrave Square..., but it isn't the actual text of the book. Will you accept that?

There is one other option whose text actually begins with R, but I wasn't planning to read that anytime soon -- unless I need to in order to finish this challenge :)

message 47: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments I am close but I don't think I'll finish 100%. I still need a 'U' and a 'D'.

This has been a very fun challenge. I think I'll have to sign up for another round.

message 48: by Barb (last edited Jan 18, 2019 09:11PM) (new)

Barb Not sure what you like to read, Karen, but I had a D on my list too and found it in You Don't Look Your Age...and Other Fairy Tales, by Sheila Nevins. It wasn't the best book out there, but it's a Y title AND an N author, besides having the D line I needed for this challenge :)

Can't help with the U though, sorry.

message 49: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 134 comments Thanks Barb, I'll take a look at that

message 50: by jingles (last edited Jan 20, 2019 07:39AM) (new)

Barb wrote: "jingles, I'm down to needing one more R book to finish this thing, and I've been surprised at how hard it is to find first lines beginning with R.

I just did a search on Google Books for the first..."

Yes, Barb, I will take that. If you don't mind, please just make a note beside it in your challenge, so that I will remember.

Great series by the way :)

« previous 1