Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Judging June Challenge 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 285 (285 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited May 19, 2017 09:26PM) (new)

Phrynne | 11686 comments Mod
 photo 5b034579-64f7-4380-825e-4a425f7a3cf9_zpsfdyrlwqt.png

We are always told not to judge a book by its cover but this month the challenge is to do exactly that!

Easy challenge - 3 books (at least one Aussie author)
Medium challenge - 6 books (at least two Aussie authors)
Hard challenge - 9 books (at least three Aussie authors)

Minimum of 3 books chosen from the list below.

Read a book with:-
1. A beautiful cover.
2. A cover you don't like.
3. A colourful cover.
4. A really appropriate cover.
5. A cover that you love. Tell us why!
6. A boring cover.
7. A flowery cover.
8. A scenic cover
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:)

Don't forget our guidelines HERE

And some sources for ideas:-
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

photo eac20d78-4736-46d0-84f4-f7be0243f407_zpslqcrhgtv.jpg

message 3: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited Jun 26, 2017 05:04AM) (new)

9/9

1. A beautiful cover. Hester and Harriet by Hilary Spiers Hester and Harriet by Hilary Spiers 4 stars

2. A cover you don't like. Hag-Seed: The Tempest Retold by Margaret Atwood 5 stars Hag-Seed The Tempest Retold by Margaret Atwood

3. A colourful cover. A Million Worlds with You by Claudia Gray 4 stars A Million Worlds with You (Firebird, #3) by Claudia Gray

4. A really appropriate cover. Dark Heart by James Phelan Dark Heart (Jed Walker #4) by James Phelan AA 4 stars

5. A cover that you love. Tell us why! White Nights by Ann Cleeves I love the colours and the atmosphere it creates. 4 stars White Nights (Shetland Island, #2) by Ann Cleeves

6. A boring cover. Dark Past by Catherine Lee 4 stars Dark Past (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #2) by Catherine Lee AA

7. A flowery cover. Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers #1) by Lisa Kleypas 4 stars

8. A scenic cover Bitter Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff Bitter Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #4) by Alexandra Sokoloff 5 stars

9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman It's another cover I wanted to put in as being beautiful. The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) by Alison Goodman AA 4 stars

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Jun 17, 2017 02:41AM) (new)

Brenda | 70531 comments Mod
Judging June Challenge

9/9

1. A beautiful cover - Wimmera by Mark Brandi Wimmera by Mark Brandi 3s
AA
2. A cover you don't like - Dear Banjo by Sasha Wasley Dear Banjo by Sasha Wasley 5s AA
3. A colourful cover - The Lucky One by Caroline Overington The Lucky One by Caroline Overington 2.5s AA
4. A really appropriate cover - Beneath the Apple Leaves by Harmony Verna Beneath the Apple Leaves by Harmony Verna 5s
5. A cover that you love. Tell us why! - The Perfect Husband (Sydney Harbour Hospital #1) by Chris Taylor The Perfect Husband by Chris Taylor 5s AA eye catching
6. A boring cover - Jeopardy in July (Jamie Quinn Mystery #5) by Barbara Venkataraman Jeopardy in July by Barbara Venkataraman 4s
7. A flowery cover - Death at Egg Harbor (Jamie Burger, #1) by Alannah Rogers Death at Egg Harbor by Alannah Rogers 2s
8. A scenic cover - Diamond Sky (The Porter Sisters #3) by Annie Seaton Diamond Sky by Annie Seaton 5s AA
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) - Forgotten by Nicole Trope Forgotten by Nicole Trope 5s AA creepy

Wimmera by Mark Brandi Dear Banjo by Sasha Wasley The Lucky One by Caroline Overington Beneath the Apple Leaves by Harmony Verna The Perfect Husband (Sydney Harbour Hospital #1) by Chris Taylor Jeopardy in July (Jamie Quinn Mystery #5) by Barbara Venkataraman Death at Egg Harbor (Jamie Burger, #1) by Alannah Rogers Diamond Sky (The Porter Sisters #3) by Annie Seaton Forgotten by Nicole Trope

message 5: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Seeing as I am travelling in June - I'll go for 3 books - Easy

A Beautiful Cover: Memories of May by Juliet Madison Memories of May by Juliet Madison - Aussie Author

A Cover I don't like: Turbo Twenty-Three (Stephanie Plum, #23) by Janet Evanovich Turbo Twenty-Three by Janet Evanovich

A Colourful Cover: The Dragon Finds Forever (Nocturne Falls, #7) by Kristen Painter The Dragon Finds Forever by Kristen Painter

message 6: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

All good choices Brenda and Sally:)

message 7: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Hope you enjoy Hester and Harriet Phrynne - I loved it and I have the second in the series Love, Lies and Linguine by Hilary Spiers near the top of my TBR pile

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Phrynne wrote: "All good choices Brenda and Sally:)"

As are yours! Some great titles there!

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sally906 wrote: "Seeing as I am travelling in June - I'll go for 3 books - Easy

A Beautiful Cover: Memories of May by Juliet Madison Memories of May by Juliet Madison - Aussie A..."

You'll be have way too much fun to read ;)

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 22, 2017 09:44PM) (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments I'm going to try for 6:

✔ 2. A cover you don't like Size Zero (Zero, #1) by A.C. Moyer Size Zero by A.C. Moyer (doesn't fit the title or give any idea of the book) 2★

✔ 4. A really appropriate cover The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham 5★

✔ 5. A cover you love Art Escapes Daily Exercises and Inspirations for Discovering Greater Creativity and Artistic Confidence by Dory Kanter y|22878941] Tell Me Why by Sandi Wallace AA. 4★

✔ 7. A flowery cover It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover 4★

✔ 8. A scenic cover A Gem of a Problem (Emma Berry Murray River Mystery #1) by Irene Sauman A Gem of a Problem by Irene Sauman AA 3.5★

✔ 9. Reader's choice Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold. 4★

message 11: by Lynxie (last edited Jun 20, 2017 04:41PM) (new)

Lynxie | 699 comments I'm in - let's try for 3 to start with

1. A Beautiful cover. The Recipient by Dean Mayes The Recipient by Dean Mayes AA ★★★★☆
2. A cover you don't like. Hillary Tail of the Dog (Hillary, #1) by Angel Gelique Hillary: Tail of the Dog by Angel Gelique ★☆☆☆☆
4. A really appropriate cover. Welcome To Orphancorp by Marlee Jane Ward Welcome To Orphancorp by Marlee Jane Ward AA ★★★★★

Might add others if I get to them.

message 12: by Kerri (last edited Jun 25, 2017 02:22AM) (new)

Kerri | 373 comments Read a book with:-
✔1. A beautiful cover. After Darkness by Christine Piper After Darkness AA
✔2. A cover you don't like. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
✔3. A colourful cover. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen The Girl Who Chased the Moon
✔4. A really appropriate cover. The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club, #6) by James Patterson The 6th Target
✔5. A cover that you love. Tell us why! Stillwater Creek by Alison Booth Stillwater Creek AA it makes me think of lazy Summer days spent near the water.
✔6. A boring cover. Still Life by Joy Fielding Still Life
✔7. A flowery cover. The First Rule of Swimming by Courtney Angela Brkic The First Rule of Swimming
✔8. A scenic cover A Fortunate Life by Albert B. Facey A Fortunate Life AA
✔9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
Handle with Care Heading into Winter this cover depicts a Wintry scene

message 13: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited May 19, 2017 11:46PM) (new)

Some great covers so far!
I see what you mean about your number 2. Lynxie. I always think great big eyes on a cover are creepy:)

message 14: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 699 comments Phrynne wrote: "Some great covers so far!
I see what you mean about your number 2. Lynxie. I always think great big eyes on a cover are creepy:)"

It's not the worst I've seen, but I still don't like it. :)

message 15: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments Hah! Fun challenge. I'm adding it to my challenges book.

message 16: by Zoey (last edited Jun 25, 2017 10:03PM) (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 1044 comments Easy Challenge for me

3. A colourful cover. - The Girl in the Yellow Vest The Girl in the Yellow Vest by Loretta Hill Loretta Hill AA 5★
4. A really appropriate cover. - The Forgotten Garden The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton Kate Morton AA 4★
8. A scenic cover - Jamaica Inn Jamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierDaphne du Maurier 3.5★

message 17: by Em (new)

Em (em-reads) I agree with you about the covers for Janet Evanovich's books, Sally! They're all so similar and boring.

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 753 comments Awesome challenge! Easy level for me.

3. A colourful cover:
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty AA
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
The colours burst out of the grey background

4. A really appropriate cover
The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith
The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #5) by Alexander McCall Smith
Well it's a full cupboard !

5. A cover that you love
Un appartement à Paris by Guillaume Musso
Un appartement à Paris by Guillaume Musso
I just really like the simplicity of the silhouette and the skyline, it's very striking

message 19: by Mary (last edited May 21, 2017 03:18AM) (new)

Mary (bookworm60) | 297 comments I'm in too. I'm travelling too but I think I can go for six.
I'll add books as I work out my list
1. A beautiful cover All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr by Anthony Doerr
2. A cover you don't like.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
3. A colourful cover. Will Grayson, Will Grayson Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green by John Green
4. A really appropriate cover. How to Make Gravy How to Make Gravy by Paul Kelly by Paul Kelly AA
6. A boring cover Violent Exposure Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4) by Katherine Howell by Katherine Howell AA
9. Chocolate Cake for Breakfast Chocolate Cake for Breakfast by Danielle Hawkins by Danielle Hawkins It's so quirky it just LOOKS like it would be fun to read plus there's the title. How can I resist?

message 20: by Diana (last edited Jun 16, 2017 01:43AM) (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1639 comments I'm going to go for three - Easy
A beautiful cover Begin, End, Begin A #LoveOzYA Anthology by Danielle Binks Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology AA
A colourful cover The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11) by Jennifer Chiaverini The New Year's Quilt
Readers choice - Optimists Die First by Susin Nielsen Optimists Die First a favourite YA author and button on cover. I collect buttons

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some excellent covers showing - it's funny how they make a difference isn't it!

message 22: by Jenn (last edited Jun 29, 2017 06:17PM) (new)

Jenn (jumpapa) | 622 comments I'm in. Titles to come soon.
Hard challenge - 9 books (at least three Aussie authors)

Read 8/9

1.Driftwood by Mandy Magro A beautiful cover. Driftwood by Mandy Magro AA 4.5 stars

2.Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher A cover you don't like.
Death Masks by Jim Butcher 4 stars

3. 16th Seduction (Women's Murder Club, #16) by James Patterson A colourful cover.16th Seduction by James Patterson 4 stars

4.Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs A really appropriate cover. Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs 4.5 stars

5.Second Chance Town by Karly Lane A cover that you love. Tell us why! Second Chance Town by Karly Lane Has a great Australian cover AA 4 stars

6.Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) by Janet EvanovichA boring cover. Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich 3 stars

7.All of Me (The Bridesmaids Club, #1) by Leeanna Morgan A flowery cover. All of Me by Leeanna Morgan 4 stars

8.Bridie's Choice by Karly Lane A scenic cover.Bridie's Choice by Karly Lane AA 5 stars

9.Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10) by Patricia Briggs Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs I love the author and the cover is pretty 5 stars

message 23: by MaryG2E (last edited May 20, 2017 03:59AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 863 comments I'm opting for the EASY level, i.e. 3 books, and my tentative list is as follows:

1. A beautiful cover: The Forgotten Pearl by Belinda Murrell
3. A colourful cover: If Blood Should Stain the Wattle by Jackie French
5. A cover that I love: Dead Again by Sandi Wallace
I love this cover because I am familiar with the historic house in the photo, plus the sepia tones accurately reflect the history and the landscape of the area where I lived for several years.
The Forgotten Pearl by Belinda Murrell If Blood Should Stain the Wattle by Jackie French Dead Again (Rural Crime Files #2) by Sandi Wallace

message 24: by Sue (last edited Jun 30, 2017 08:01PM) (new)

Sue | 62 comments Level: Easy - 3 books (at least one Aussie author)
Completed 2017-Jun-26

The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper ~~ 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith ~~ The Turtle of Oman by Naomi Shihab Nye
Option 4. A really appropriate cover: The Dry by Jane Harper AA | 2017-Jun-14
Colors are evocative of the drought condition and the rather somber tone of the book - hard times due to the drought, and people in the town are very disturbed by the deaths of the Hadler family.
Option 6. A boring cover: 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith | 2017-Jun-20
The black and white illustrations of Iain McIntosh do add a lot to the chapters of the book, but I just want something more for the cover. Also most of the cover is just plain red!
Option 1. A beautiful cover: The Turtle of Oman by Naomi Shihab Nye | 2017-Jun-26

Level: Medium - 6 books (at least two Aussie authors)
Completed 2017-Jun-30

Trumps of Doom by Roger Zelazny ~~ Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6) by Kerry Greenwood ~~ Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper

Option 2. A cover you don't like: Trumps of Doom by Roger Zelazny | 2017-Jun-27
cover art just seems kind of childish and silly
Option 3. A colourful cover: Blood and Circuses by Kerry Greenwood AA | 2017-Jun-28
Option 9. Reader's choice: Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper | 2017-Jun-30
I think the cover of Stella by Starlight is striking! I couldn't bring myself to use it for "Beautiful Cover" and I couldn't use it for a "Cover that I Love" because it shows the scene from the opening of the book where Stella and Jojo see the burning cross, meaning the Ku Klux Klan has come to their town of Bumblebee, North Carolina, USA (in 1932.) So, it's not possible to say that I love the picture of the Klan threats or that I think it's something of beauty. But, other than that, I DO think the cover illustration by Sarah Jane Coleman is just beautiful.

Option 5. A cover that you love:
Tell us why!
Option 7. A flowery cover:
Option 8. A scenic cover: The Rope by Nevada Barr ??

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Welcome to the group Sue and to the challenge :) Happy reading!

message 26: by Li'l Owl (last edited Jul 20, 2017 01:39PM) (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments June Judging Books by the Cover Challenge
I'll go with hard 9, 3 Aussie Authors
1 June -30 June
Progress 8/9

#1 Beautiful Cover
The Weight of Night (Glacier Mystery #3) by Christine Carbo The Weight of Night by Christine Carbo

#2 Cover I Don't Like
Scared Yet?  by Jaye Ford Scared Yet? by Jaye Ford AA ★★★★★

#3 Colorful Cover
Just Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #1) by Vickie McKeehan Just Evil by Vickie McKeehan★★

#4 Appropriate cover
The World According to Bob The Further Adventures of One Man and His Street-wise Cat by James Bowen The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Street-wise Cat by James Bowen ★★★★★

#5 Cover that I Love
The Wild Inside (Glacier Mystery #1) by Christine Carbo The Wild Inside by Christine Carbo ★★★★★
I love the wilderness and all it's wild creatures. The peace & quite is exhilarating! If and when you are lucky enough to witness nature's animals in their home, it's moving beyond words!

#6 Boring cover
Darkest Place by Jaye Ford Darkest Place by Jaye Ford AA ★★★★★

#7 Flowery Cover
Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin ★★★★★

#8 Scenic cover
Mortal Fall (Glacier Mystery #2) by Christine Carbo Mortal Fall by Christine Carbo ★★★★

#9 Readers Choice
The Darkest Hour (Detective Ella Marconi #2) by Katherine Howell The Darkest Hour by Katherine Howell★★★★★ AA
I like the matt white cover with a realistic scene in the hole in the center.

message 27: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Still working/deciding on mine, Phrynne =o)

message 28: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

It takes a bit of time Owl. That's why we post our challenges well in advance of the start date.

message 29: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Sally906 wrote: "Hope you enjoy Hester and Harriet Phrynne - I loved it and I have the second in the series Love, Lies and Linguine by Hilary Spiers near the top of my TBR pile"

Like you have read the first and the have the second on my work desk ready to start tomorrow .

message 30: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 2254 comments I think I can do this one!
Judging June Challenge
Easy level
0/3

message 31: by Amanda (last edited Jun 12, 2017 05:06PM) (new)

Amanda (docmandy) | 132 comments Working on these!

1. Beautiful cover. The Claimant by Janette Turner Hospital AA
2. Cover you don't like. Three Daughters of Eve by Elif Shafak Too Dark for me & just plain unattractive!
3. Colourful cover. Spirits of the Ghan by Judy Nunn AA A bright cover
4. A really appropriate cover. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Picture of the famous painting after which the book is named.
5. Cover I love. Mount! by Jilly Cooper. I love it because it is cheeky & sexy & makes me laugh!
6. Boring cover. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Can't get much more boring than this!
7. Flowery cover. Kaffe Fassett's Bold Blooms: Quilts and Other Works Celebrating Flowers by Kaffe Fassett
8. Scenic cover. The Lavender Keeper by Fiona McIntosh AA
9. Reader's Choice. The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict. This is a poignant picture of a lonely woman looking off into the distance, possibly thinking about what might have been.

1. The Claimant by Janette Turner Hospital 2. Three Daughters of Eve by Elif Shafak 3. Spirits of the Ghan by Judy Nunn 4. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier 5. Mount! by Jilly Cooper 6. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 7. Kaffe Fassett's Bold Blooms Quilts and Other Works Celebrating Flowers by Kaffe Fassett 8. The Lavender Keeper (Luc & Lisette #1) by Fiona McIntosh 9. The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict

message 32: by Vickie (last edited Jun 26, 2017 04:54PM) (new)

Vickie (vickievickie) | 76 comments Starting with Easy, may upgrade to Medium depending on how I go! Click star rating to see review once published and linked. AA = Aussie author.

Easy Progress: 3/3

#1 Beautiful Cover: Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre (1978)
Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I haven't even fully read the blurb, but the book won the Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards, and then I saw the cover, and decided that yep, reading it!

#2 Disliked Cover: Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989) (AA)
Cocaine Blues Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (1) by Kerry Greenwood ★★★☆☆
Compared to the other much more charming hand-drawn version, the edition of my library book has the media tie-in cover. I generally dislike media tie-in anything, this cover in particular. I'm even going to pretend that I'm reading the other edition on Goodreads... Incidentally, I've tried to read this book 2 times previously but could never focus. I'm determined to finish it this time.

#9 Reader's Choice: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski (1993)
The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★★★☆
In a hypocritical twist, I've chosen another book with a media tie-in cover, and this time I don't mind it. This edition has the cover of the video game adaptation that I enjoyed playing very much. I hear Netflix is going to make a mini-series out of the book soon, too, so I think it's high time I give the original book a go!

Medium Upgrade Progress: 3/3

#4 Appropriate Cover: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2003) — ★★★★☆

#6 Boring Cover: No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005) — ★★★★☆

#7 Flowery Cover: The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood (2015) (AA) — ★★★★☆

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood

★☆ ♥

message 33: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

I am really enjoying checking out all these covers!

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited May 20, 2017 06:37PM) (new)

There are some great ones aren't there! I like looking at the "don't like" ones ;)

message 35: by Deborah (last edited Jun 22, 2017 05:08AM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1888 comments Ok, my list is coming along.

1. A beautiful cover.?
2. A cover you don't like. Peacemaker by Marianne de Pierres AA
I can't even say why I don't like this cover and it is really annoying me.
3. A colourful cover. Generation X Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland by Douglas Coupland (can you get worse than shoking pink?)
4. A really appropriate cover. The Feud That Sparked the Renaissance How Brunelleschi and Ghiberti Changed the Art World by Paul Robert Walker by Paul Robert Walker
Dragonflight (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey by Anne McCaffrey
6. A boring cover. ?
7. A flowery cover. Dear Merilyn by Barbra Leslie by Barbra Leslie AA

8. A scenic cover ?
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) ?

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (docmandy) | 132 comments I'm amazed that there are hardly any duplicates among the covers people have chosen! So many books, so little time...... (sigh)

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL! Always the truth Amanda :)

message 38: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (vickievickie) | 76 comments Brenda wrote: "There are some great one aren't there! I like looking at the "don't like" ones ;)"

Me too! There are a couple of covers that people didn't like that I didn't mind, and one I even quite like! :P

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL! Just goes to show how different we all are!

message 40: by PattyMacDotComma (last edited Jun 21, 2017 02:37AM) (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1827 comments YES! I'm in for EASY three, thanks.
1. A beautiful cover.
2. A cover you don't like.
3. A colourful cover.
4. A really appropriate cover. Into That Forest by Louis Nowra AA READ 3*
6. A boring cover.
7. A flowery cover.
8. A scenic cover News of the World by Paulette Jiles READ 3.5★
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) Still Alice by Lisa Genova READ 5*

I like the beautiful blue tones of the butterfly which is gradually disappearing, and the title lettering that uses all upper case except for the letter i in both words, as if the heart of the "I" (Alice) is still here . . . fading, but still here. ALiCE
Into That Forest by Louis Nowra Still Alice by Lisa Genova News of the World by Paulette Jiles

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 753 comments It will be interesting to see if people end up enjoying the books with the covers they don't like, and vice versa.

message 42: by Janine (last edited Jun 23, 2017 06:55PM) (new)

Janine (janineor) | 1511 comments I am going to try for Hard

1. A beautiful cover. Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell READ 4*
2. A cover you don't like. The Jump by Martina Cole The Jump by Martina Cole READ 2*
3. A colourful cover. Jilted by Rachael Johns Jilted by Rachael Johns(AA) READ 3*
4. A really appropriate cover. Stars Across the Ocean by Kimberley Freeman Stars Across the Ocean by Kimberley Freeman(AA) READ 4*
5. A cover that you love. Tell us why! The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes Love the 40s fashions and colours READ 3*
6. A boring cover. Joe Cinque's Consolation by Helen Garner Joe Cinque's Consolation by Helen Garner(AA)
7. A flowery cover. A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay(AA) READ 3*
8. A scenic cover MacKenzie Crossing by Kaye Dobbie MacKenzie Crossing by Kaye Dobbie(AA) READ 4*
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover:) Talk Of The Town by Rachael Johns Talk Of The Town Rachael Johns(AA) Who doesn't like a handsome man! READ 5*

message 43: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1827 comments Valerie wrote: "It will be interesting to see if people end up enjoying the books with the covers they don't like, and vice versa."
Good point, Valerie! I've been sucked in more than once. I looked up the artist who designed the Still Alice cover, and she has her preliminary design there, which is just a rather small butterfly with no particular significance.

message 44: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Phrynne wrote: "I am really enjoying checking out all these covers!"

My thoughts exactly! Very fun!

message 45: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Brenda wrote: "There are some great ones aren't there! I like looking at the "don't like" ones

And the boring ones!
I like reading the explanations!

message 46: by Ria (last edited May 21, 2017 10:03PM) (new)

Ria | 13 comments 1. A beautiful coverPast the Shallows Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett byFavel Parrett(AA)
2. A cover you don't like Our Endless Numbered Days Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller by Claire Fuller
3. A colourful cover The Barbershop Girl The Barbershop Girl by Georgina Penney by Georgina Penney
4. A really appropriate cover The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman(AA)
5. A cover that you love. Tell us why! Mr Wigg Mr Wigg by Inga Simpson by Inga Simpson(AA) because I love the simplicity of this cover, it needs no more than the silhouette of the peach tree to invite you in...
6. A boring cover. Me Before You Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes by Jojo Moyes...if I hadnt read al the hype about this book the cover would not have caught my attention...
7. A flowery cover. Walking on Trampolines Walking on Trampolines by Frances Whiting by Frances Whiting
8. A scenic cover The Good Daughter The Good Daughter by Honey Brown by Honey Brown(AA)
9. Reader's choice. Tell us why you chose this cover The Goldfinch The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt by Donna Tartt it again is a simple yet unique cover, I just love the torn paper effect and the sneak peak of a goldfinch, oh and it's a cracker of a (huge) novel!

message 47: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Great choices Ria. I can see you have several Aussie authors there. Would you label them so every one can see them?

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some great covers there Ria!

message 49: by Anna (last edited May 21, 2017 07:42AM) (new)

Anna | 477 comments Read a book with:-
1. A beautiful cover:
2. A cover you don't like: South of Darkness by John Marsden by John Marsden (AA)
3. A colourful cover: The Beekeeper's Secret by Josephine Moon Josephine Moon (AA)
4. A really appropriate cover: A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy by Maeve Binchy
5. A cover that you love:
6. A boring cover:
7. A flowery cover:
8. A scenic cover:
9. Reader's choice:

message 50: by Loren (last edited Jun 28, 2017 06:58PM) (new)

Loren Johnson (lorenjohnsonau) | 118 comments Haven't got a lot of time on my hands so I'm just going to go for easy.

3/3 Finished!

1. A really appropriate cover: King Arthur by Frank T. Thompson - 4 stars
2. A colourful cover: The Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani - 3 stars
3. A scenic cover: The Good People by Hannah Kent (AA) - 5 Stars

King Arthur by Frank T. Thompson The Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani The Good People by Hannah Kent

« previous 1 3 4 5 6