Start by marking “The Ship of Brides” as Want to Read:
The Ship of Brides

The Ship of Brides

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  27,460 ratings  ·  2,567 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Giver of Stars, in an earlier work available in the U.S. for the first time, a post-WWII story of the war brides who crossed the seas by the thousands to face their unknown futures.

1946. World War II has ended and all over the world, young women are beginning to fulfill the promises made to the men they wed in wartime.

In S
Published 2005

To ask other readers questions about The Ship of Brides, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elizabeth It indicates that he wants a more personal relationship with her.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lore
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  27,460 ratings  ·  2,567 reviews

Start your review of The Ship of Brides
Anne(marie)
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
I don't think I would have picked this up by myself (the synopsis didn't sound all too exciting to me), but I got the book gifted to me by someone who knows how much I loved Me Before You. I definitely need to remember to give this person a massive 'Thank you!' now!
I was majorly surprised by how interesting I found the entire journey. The plot is very linear, there are no big surprises or plot twists. However, I was still glued to the pages due to the wonderful and realistic characters. I fell i
Carol
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Maybe this leopard can change her spots. I'm the perennial thriller reader. I read thrillers because they are often fast passed, make my heart beat faster and I love a suspenseful read. So why have I found myself bewtiched by the author JoJo Moyes? I have just finished my third book The Ship of Brides and will be singing its praises to everyone I meet.

It’s the end of World War II and thousands of Australian women, War Brides, will be traveling to England to reunite with the men they married. Ov
Carol
2.5 Stars

This is my fifth Jojo Moyes novel and, unfortunately, the only one I thought would never end.

The storyline is GREAT based on actual historical events of post WW2 war brides traveling aboard a naval warship to reunite with their husbands in England. I also enjoyed reading the newspaper and journal entries posted at the beginning of each chapter, but other than Frances' and Nicol's story, I am sorry to say, it was pretty much slow going with confusing dialogue and needless catty conversat

Jeanette (Again)
So...ummm....yeah....I just finished this and I don't have words. Multiple superlatives will be used. This one moved me in so many ways. Holy shite, what a story. I became quite attached to Frances and Maggie. I will miss them.

Jojo Moyes is a versatile novelist. She picks a topic she wants to write about and makes it her own. There's a richness and depth to this story that surpasses Me Before You.
Suzanne
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favourites
What a wonderful book that I've just finished. One of those that really mean something. It was a pleasure to read this book, the first of Jo Jo Moyes that I have had the pleasure to read. This is a beautiful story that is based on a factual voyage, each chapter starts with an non fictional extract based on experiences of war brides, or those who served on the 'Victorious'.

The year is 1946, and almost 700 war brides are making their way to England, the war is over. We follow a group of gals who h
Meg
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I felt like I was on a slow boat to Britain right along with them.
Buggy
Opening Line: “The first time I saw her again, I felt as if I’d been hit.”

I absolutely loved this book, another winner from JoJo Moyes who bases this moving story on real events (and her own grandmother) Taking the reader back to 1946 in the aftermath of the Second World War as thousands of young war brides are transported from Australia to England to meet up with their GI husbands who they’d married during the conflict. For many woman it was a time of huge uncertainty, leaving their families an
Tara Chevrestt
I'm a huge fan of Jojo Moyes and until now have never been on the fence with what to rate her work. This one is a tough one though. I liked half; I disliked half. I found myself impatient to know what happened in the end, to each and every one of the girls, yet at the same time, I found myself skimming the "man" parts--the captain's tale, Nicol's story, this guy and that guy. They bored me, and I didn't care about their lives.

This story doesn't really let the reader get to know the heroines, and
Jo
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love JoJo Moyes and her ability to make Chick-lit (which I love), just a bit different. Some of her books are based on historical events, again something that I find is a great asset to her writing.
However, and it is a shame to say that, this book just didn't work for me. I found the storyline hard to get in to, possibly a little dull at times. I don't know much about the subject of Australian war brides and the book didn't really help. I found it hard to pick up on the love the brides had for
(ツ) Hache
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I have to say that this is a tough book to get into. I put it down many times and only read little bits at a time, It almost felt like I was reading this for school. If it was by any other author I would've given up. I'm so glad I kept with it.

Once you actually read a meaty chuck of it you start to feel like your really on board the ship apart of these brides lives.

Characters/POV

Told in third person narrative, there a 4 main brides out of the 650 women who end up being roomies toget
Brenda

This was BEYOND boring! I thought would never end ._.
The prologue was so touching I was convinced the book gonna be great. I was wrong.

Ashley
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: source-pbs
I loved the idea of this book, but not the execution. I'm wondering if I built it up too much in my head before reading as I thought the premise a really interesting one. I enjoyed it but this book wasn't a favorite. Actually, that's the problem I have: this book read like a tv series. I feel like you could literally hand sections of the book to a director and, in order, he'll make an Avice episode, the Frances background episode, etc.

A quick, easy read with an interesting premise based on true
Barbara Elsborg
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Jojo Moyes but I'd avoided reading this one because of the time period. It's not something that interests me BUT what a mistake. I was quickly drawn in to the lives of these Australian women en route for the UK after the war as husbands of British servicemen. I loved the variety of characters, the understated love story, it all worked really well. I could easily see this as a film!
Jessica
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Great ending. Many a time I almost gave up on it. It is rather darker then I expected.
Arlene
Very long and drawn out. Lost interest throughout. Probably my least favorite of Jojo Moyes.
Amy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read at least five of JoJo Moyes other books, including the Me Before You trilogy, and I have liked them. They have either sustained my attention well enough or brought great enjoyment. I did not care for this one however. I just couldn't follow it, or relate. Neither could I develop care for the characters or the plot. Wasn't my cup of tea. Was more moved at the way it pulled together at the end.
Mela
When I have bought and started to read this book (I confess) I expected a few sweet romances in the package. What I got is much, much deeper and better.

5 stars for:

1) A original and very interesting historical background. I didn't know that such marriages were so much common during IIWW.
2) Beautiful, gripping fictional stories.
3) Perfectly chosen characters.
4) A captivating, deep understanding of human nature.

There was moment (nearer the end) when I thought it was drifting to 4 stars. I felt a l
Mithila
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
1946. The Second World War has come to an end. Soldiers return home to their loved ones. Paints a lovely scene, doesn't it? And this is the scene we are most familiar with.
But in Sydney, Australia, there's a different scene playing out: women are travelling across the seas to Plymouth, England to live the rest of their lives with the men they married during the war. The men who had to whisper words of love and affection only during their leave from duty and hurriedly leave once their duty calle
Sabrina
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I WILL READ ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THAT JOJO MOYES WRITES.
Jess The Bookworm
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This novel is set in the time period just after World War II. During the War many people from all over the world met one another and got married quite hastily, to people that they wouldn't see until the War was over. This novel starts off in Australia, where over 600 Australian brides need to be transported to their English husbands in England, to go and live as a married couple now that the War is over.

An old aircraft carrying ship is commissioned for its last journey to take these b
Erin
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I found the premise of this book to be more compelling than the actual story. I love a good, big, historical fiction romance novel, and I love the fact that it was based on true events of the day. The book itself left much to be desired. It was so slow in the beginning. I read this on my kindle and was 53% through before I was actually interested in reading more. Throughout, I wanted to know more about the relationships with the brides and their husbands. The book was primarily based on the rela ...more
A Girl Has No Name
5 stars - Coup de coeur!

I have seen Jojo Moyes' books a million times in book stores and libraries and I must say that their beautiful covers are jumping straight into everybody's eyes. I am usually not reading the genre of books Jojo Moyes is writing, but I definitely decided to give this author a try when I read the blurb of this book and the many reviews saying that this story is different from what she usually writes.

I must say that I was pulled into this amazing story right from the start.
Anne
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Historical Fiction

This is the third book I've read by this author. She's my new favorite writer! I feel like I was on that journey with all those brides. What a journey it was. I felt relief when the ship docked and the brides joined their new families. Another book to tell me more about World War II that I didn't know.
Lydia Bailey
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
. A really enjoyable read with an original and interesting plot. Great characterisation not quite as gripping as some of her other books but it's stayed with me and would highly recommend it.
Cathy Daniel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much and loved getting to know the Brides. Realistic ending but the characters I liked got their happy ending. If you love historical fiction like I do, I highly recommend reading this!
Kristin Davison
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A beautiful story that needed to be told.
Jan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic page turner from JoJo Moyes. What a terrific story!
Tsippora
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ship of Brides had a bit of a slow burn, which was pribebly because of the large amount of POVs for just one ship. Towards the end It got good and emotional.
Becky
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On October 27, 1945 the HMS Victorious set off for the first of three trips to transport WWII servicemen and war brides. Jojo Moyes's own grandmother was one of those brides, traveling from Australia to England to be with her husband. According to the acknowledgements, her story and others inspired The Ship of Brides, which was originally released back in 2005 but has recently been reissued by Penguin.

The war has ended and out of the remaining war brides in Australia, Margaret, Avice, Jean, and
Gee
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Jojo Moyes book, after reading and thoroughly enjoying 'The last letter from your lover'.

The Ship of Brides is a moving story based on a real events taking place in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War, as thousands of young women were transported to Great Britain or the United States from Australia to meet up with the GI-husbands they married when they were stationed in the country during the conflict. In many cases, these young women left their families and homes
Play Book Tag: Ship of Brides 5 24 Aug 12, 2019 01:28PM

• Grown Ups
  • Five French Hens
  • The Outcast Girls
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The Forgotten Sister: A heart-rending, beautifully moving novel perfect for fans of Jodi Picoult and Jojo Moyes
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • The Orchid Tree
  • La femme au manteau violet
  • One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - Review Summary
  • The Boy in the Photo
  • Double Espresso (Loretta Kovacs, #2)
  • The Shop Girls of Harpers: A heartwarming family saga (Welcome To Harpers Emporium Book 1)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • The Dutch House
  • The Diplomat's Wife (The Kommandant's Girl, #2)
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar

Articles featuring this book

Jojo Moyes, the beloved author of more than a dozen novels including the adapted-for-the-screen Me Before You, will be back in book stores this ...
“the only people who still have all the answers are those who have never been faced with the questions” 11 likes
“Very few troubles in life couldn’t be lessened by a nice smile—that was what her mother always said.” 3 likes