Start by marking “Mount!” as Want to Read:
Mount!

Mount!

(Rutshire Chronicles #10)

In Jilly Cooper’s latest, raciest novel, Rupert Campbell-Black takes centre stage in the cut-throat world of flat racing.

Rupert is consumed by one obsession: that Love Rat, his adored grey horse, be proclaimed champion stallion. He longs to trounce Roberto’s Revenge, the stallion owned by his detested rival Cosmo Rannaldini, which means abandoning his racing empire at Pens
Published September 8th 2016 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about Mount!, please sign up.
Ruth Not only do you not have to read the other nine, you don't have to even bother with this one. Complete drivel. Life's too short. Go and read something…moreNot only do you not have to read the other nine, you don't have to even bother with this one. Complete drivel. Life's too short. Go and read something better!(less)

DeB MaRtEnS
It has been six years since Jilly Cooper's last novel in the Rutshire Chronicles was published. The first in the series, "Riders", came to print in 1985 and "Mount", published in September, 2016 is the tenth. As an author, she has been a prolific writer of other works, ranging from fluffy short chick lit to memoir-styled books, written in between this series which has gained her fans and fame, over more than thirty years. That career is notable in and of itself.

"Mount" is not the sparkling, wit
Noël Cades
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jilly cooper fans, horse fans
Shelves: older-man
Marvellous "bonkbuster" from Jilly Cooper who is happily back on form, now she has returned to the world of horses. If you were disappointed by some of non-horse novels since Polo, you'll be delighted once again with Mount!.

Rupert is back - and thanks to some apparent age massaging (the dates don't seem to be canon any more, so just try to overlook this - Young Eddie's age is a particular issue) Rupert is still a flawlessly gorgeous romantic hero, virile and beautiful, in his late fifties.

You'll
S.A.
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this book, otherwise I might've been seriously pissed-off. I have read every book in this series and, I'm sad to say I won't be in a rush to read any more, should Cooper choose to continue.
A read through the acknowledgements shows an impressive range of A-listers from the racing world and the author clearly felt the need to toss as much information as possible about UK horse-racing into the story, which led to random chunks of info-dump that should never hav
Nancy
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is one of my guilty pleasures. This book was wonderful. I have become emotionally attached to the characters over t.he years. Jilly Cooper has a gift for creating memorable characters and she even manages to make the animals in her stories into characters. The animals are as much a part of the stories as the humans. Most women would agree that probably the most memorable character of all is Rupert Campbell Black.

In this book, Rupert turns 60. Don't worry ladies, he is still naughty a
CiderandRedRot
Hooooo, boy. I'm always going to love Jilly Cooper. A new Cooper novel will always be a banner day in my household. That said, it's been a long while since the holy heyday of the Rutshire Chronicles trifecta - say the names with me: Riders, Rivals, Polo, Amen - and me & Jilly are both older. Whilst I cannot deny enjoying the fuck out of this book, in all it's almost pastiche levels of Cooper glory, there are aspects I found…problematic.

Look, Cooper is a 79-year old posh, white woman. She's h
Rachel Hall
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first remember meeting the great stallion that is Rupert Campbell-Black as an impressionable eleven-year-old and indulging in the delights of Riders and Rivals and living every moment of Taggie capturing his heart. Some thirty years later and back in rutting Rutshire, Mount! is another innuendo laden romp. Introducing a wealth of characters and a menagerie of animals, some old and some new, this is a splendid waltz down memory lane. Rupert still struts around like he is cock of the walk, but h ...more
Gayle
Sep 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Best left to nostalgia of teenage years.
My hopes weren't high but for nostalgia (and having heard JC on Desert Island Discs & loved her) I got this for a long haul flight.
It's tedious at best, embarrassingly out of touch with nods of sexism, racism & homophobia throughout. The sex is mostly equine (each to their own but not my bag), the gags are clunky & shoe-horned into unworkable conversations, the plot sketchy & the weight of racing detail dull.
Filled a 10 hour flight but l
Kate
How absolutely glorious to spend a few days in Rutshire with Rupert, Taggie and a host of familiar and unfamiliar people, rogues, lovers, horses and dogs. Deliciously scandalous with an incredible onslaught of puns, this book is a fabulous delight. All the stars.

Melissa Delport
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, that was a nostalgic little romp down memory lane! After Score, I stopped loving Jilly's books because there wasn't enough of RCB - But, as the cover promised, Mount is! "Rupert Campbell Black is BACK!" And I don't care if he's 60 -he's still dead sexy ;P

Zoey
It's a blast from the past. Rupert Campbell-Black is back!!! But sadly cannot live up to what was Riders, Rivals & Polo & probably should be left in the past.
Tanja Berg
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
This was a delightful guilty pleasure! Gossipy and grand, great characters and some truly vile ones. This is my third encounter with Rupert Campbell-Black, God’s gift to women and horses. He is still an impressive asshole. In this book his main aim is to have his stallion Love Rat become leading sire, but the competition is stiff and his enemies are out to thwart him. Delicious! Perfect beach read.
julianne
I'll stick with my fond teenage memories of Riders. An absolute disaster of a book, I think Jilly Cooper should stop writing now and retire gracefully.

I flounced this at 10% read and have neither the inclination or desire to read more!
Sasha
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rupert Campbell-Black is determined to win the title of Leading Sire for his champion racing stallion Love Rat. But in Rupert's obsession with winning he is putting more important things at risk - including his relationship with his loving wife Taggie.
Meanwhile among Rupert's loyal stable staff there is enough drama to keep the whole cast of Neighbours busy for at least a year, with sex, make-ups, break-ups, sex, blackmail, affairs and unrequited loves. Oh, and did I mention sex? A string of bad
Jane Van
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jilly Cooper did not disappoint. Reading Mount! is like joining a reunion of old friends. Heartwarming and jolly good fun.
Bev Taylor
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
rupert campbell-black is back ......

welcome back to rutshire where rupert has his own training stables and consumed by a passion not only to win races but also for love rat, the stallion he adores, to be proclaimed leading sire

but cosmo, his detested rival, is determined that he will better him which means rupert must increasingly leave his stables and chase around the world get winners in the richest races

but the odds seem to be stacked against rupert as increasing acts of sabotage, some see
Susan Pearson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, chic-lit, kindle
I've been reading Jilly Cooper's novels for pretty much my whole adult life and some of the main characters are almost as familiar as family. Far any fans of Riders and Polo I would certainly recommend this novel as a great read. Although I am not very clued up when it comes to horse racing it is clear that Jilly has done her homework and her attention to detail is fantastic.
Although many of her novels have "spiced up" scenes these do not overshadow a gripping yarn in this novel. It is unlike me
Emma Baird
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lou Robinson
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
If I was rating this on quality of writing and storyline....it would have to have been a 1. It's truly dreadful, could have been half the size if Jilly hadn't spent so much time summarising events and relationships from previous RCB novels.
BUT...it's a guilty pleasure reading one of these. I did finish Mount! I did enjoy it. There's time for a little trash now and then?
Mandy Radley
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've managed to get just over half way through this latest book from Jilly Cooper. I was so looking forward to it after having read all the previous ones over a number of years. But something is either very wrong with this one or I've just grown out of them. Maybe I'll go back and finish it one day. ☹ ...more
Bev
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jilly Cooper writes my ultimate chill out, indulgence reads and I loved this , bad sex scenes and all! Wonderful to re encounter characters from previous books and fall in love with them again, I was disappointed when I got to the last page. Sheer good fun!
Tanya
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did it take me so long to finish this? Because it's 6 years between books & I didn't want it to end! Might just have to go back & reread all the others.
Amanda
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very dialled in version of a Jilly Cooper novel. All the usual components were present, but they didn't tie into a particularly cohesive novel, and it felt rather as though Cooper was going through the motions to deliver the novel. There were a number of rather distasteful elements to the novel as well - some casual racism, particularly, that raised my eyebrows. Sure, Cooper is a product of a particular time period, but surely her editor could have remarked on the fact that writing ou ...more
Jo Jenner
I was looking forward to seeing what Rupert had been up to after a few years away but I must say this was definitely not Jilly Cooper's best book. There were snatches of dialogue that were extremely stilted and I don't know if Cooper thinks her readers have lost their attention span but when she told me Sheik Mohammed was the ruler of Dubai three time in three paragraphs I was starting to wonder if she was struggling to hit her word count.
The wonders of the last book I read with Rupert in was t
Jac
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only for determined Jilly Cooper fans (I am one, and just managed to keep on until the end of the book). The cast of characters will be bewildering if you have not met them in all the previous novels. There are the expected outrageous and enjoyable puns, but, why bother to plough through nearly 600 pages?
Bethan Hazell
Alright holiday read, but not up to the standards of Polo & Jump! The puns, characters, storyline & bonking are lacking. The characters I felt most strongly about were Safety Car & Love Rat.
Mandy
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the Rupert Campbell-Black character many years ago at the start of this series. It was great having him back as the main character in the book. Good fun read.
Lucie Novak
As always, it was fun. Jilly Cooper is an intelligent educated woman who prefers writing fun books with predictable plots, but very well written characters and great pun and jokes.
Unlike authors who think they write great literature while producing chick lit, she has not pretence of that.
Yet, her books are great. I'd like to meet this woman! most of her readers probably would.
" Mount " was not as good as some others, but I finished reading it in 4 days- and it is a big book!

Anne
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty years ago, readers were introduced to Rupert Campbell-Black in Riders, Jilly Cooper's first novel in the Rutshire Chronicles. Mount! is number ten in the series, and he's back!

Older, but still handsome and lusty, Rupert is consumed with the desire that his horse Love Rat will be the Leading Sire, or champion sire, that will mean that Rupert himself will be the champion trainer of the year. Rupert is determined, and it seems that nothing will stop him. He's desperate to ensure that his lon
Lisa Dunckley
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jilly Cooper is back! More importantly, Rupert Campbell-Black is back! After the disappointments of the last couple Jilly Cooper books, Mount is a delightful return to the fun of her earlier work.

Rupert's dream is to have his beloved Thoroughbred stallion, Love Rat, declared leading sire. His main competition is the fiendish Cosmo Ranaldini and his horse, Roberto's Revenge. While he's flying all over the world to enter his horses in the richest races of the entire globe, things at home are being
Jacqueline Carthew
Considering the last Jilly Cooper book I read was 6 years ago, I was a little worried about getting into this one, but all doubts were unfounded. Jilly Coopers novels are like seeing an old friend after a long time, or finding and old pair of slippers hidden away and unworn for years, you are nervous initially but soon find the familiarity that you once knew and its as if you were never apart! The characters are as engaging as ever, and despite being a little more mature still have that same ess ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Show (Swell Valley #2)
  • The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week
  • Kalde hjerter (Varg Veum, #16)
  • The Great Village Show
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Wedding
  • A Cornish Christmas Reunion
  • One Cornish Summer
  • Gorilla Adventure
  • The Drowning Child (Ren Bryce, #6)
  • Carry You
  • A Christmas Cracker
  • A Mistletoe Kiss
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.

Rutshire Chronicles (10 books)
  • Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1)
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3)
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)
  • Score! (Rutshire Chronicles, #6)
  • Pandora (Rutshire Chronicles, #7)
  • Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)
  • Jump! (Rutshire Chronicles, #9)