College Students! discussion

Reading Goals/ Challenges > general questions/updates/rules for School Year Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 328 (328 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Jan 20, 2009 09:24PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Ok..since some of us are a little anxious to start this..*cough cough Bree* :) ok i'm guilty too.. here we go..

RULES:

*Starts tomorrow January 21st and ends December 1st (bc we are all busy with school it seems it should run semi long..if it is too long..then we can always change it! )
* books only count for the challenge if they are within this time frame
* re-reads are acceptable but a book can only be used once.
*The person with the most points either by Dec. 1st or who finishes all the challenges will be the winner and there will be a prize involved :)
*When you finish a challenge, please post in here what book you read, the challenge, and for how many points. I will be keeping track of them.
*Feel free to post your tentative list to give others ideas for books or just fill it in as you go.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Jan 21, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

Challenge Categories:

5 points-

1)For Valentines Day: read a book with the word heart or love in it.
2)For Saint Patty’s day: read a book set in Ireland, is by an Irish author, or whose main character is Irish.
3)read a classic
4)Read a book by an author you've never read before
5)Read a memoir
6)March is National Women's History Month so read a book where a woman is the main character
7)read a CS group read (either past or present)
8)read a book with any kind of food/drink in the title
9) read a book written in the last 5 years
10) Read a book that you already own

10 points
1)read a book with the name of a month in it.
2) read a book with an author that has same birthday month as you
3)read a book with either the word “school”,“class”, "college", "university" or "teacher" in it.
4)read a book and then watch the movie adaptation
5) read a book that involves a medical condition(physical, mental, emotional)
6)read a book with a one word title
7)read a book with the name of a country, state, or city in it.
8) read a banned/challenged book (http://deletecensorship.org/downloads...)
9)read a book set in a place you've always wanted to visit/live
10)read a book written by someone of your same heritage (i.e. Belgian, Swiss, whatever)

15 points
1)read a book that has a college student as the main character or is a person that is near your age
2) read a book from an author that was born/or had lived in your state/geographical area
3) read a book about/relating to the particular field of study you are in/were in
4) Read a book written by a GoodReads author
5) Read a book about a person you admire
6) Read a book about a subject you wish you could have studied in school
7) read a book by an author you hate (Maybe you just got turned off by one book and he/she is actually a good author... you might have just read the one bad book? Or maybe your hatred is waranted.. either way you'll know for sure)
8) read that book you were supposed to read in high school but instead used SparkNotes for

25 points
1)book with over 700 pages
2)read a book with your name in the title or is by an author with your same name.
3)read a book about a different religion than you are
4) read a book that you would normally never consider picking up (something daunting, something that is a genre you hate. Etc.)

message 3: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments yay! Now i can post my list!! it took me so long to do it. I hope everyone joins in..i think it will be really fun and the categories seem pretty easy to fit in books you actually want to read.

5 points-
1)For Valentines Day: read a book with the word heart or love in it. Eat, Pray, Love--Elizabeth Gilbert

2)For Saint Patty’s day: read a book set in Ireland, is by an Irish author, or whose main character is Irish. the pictures of dorian gray by Oscar Wilde

3)read a classic-- The Great Gatsby

4)Read a book by an author you've never read before-- Love is A Mix Tape by Robert Sheffield

5)Read a memoir--Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir by Mindy Schneider

6)March is National Women's History Month so read a book where a woman is the main character--I Never Promised you A Rose Garden

7)read a CS group read (either past or present)-- Jessica Z

8)read a book with any kind of food/drink in the title--Mango Elephants in the Sun: How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin

9) read a book written in the last 5 years--
An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir
by Elizabeth McCracken

10) Read a book that you already own--Invisible Man

10 points
1)read a book with the name of a month in it--
Three Junes
by Julia Glass

2) read a book with an author that has same birthday month as you--One Hundred Years of Solitude
by Gabriel García Márquez (March bday)

3)read a book with either the word “school”,“class”, "college", "university" in it.
How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater
by Marc Acito

4)read a book and then watch the movie adaptation-- Bridget Jones Diary

5) read a book that involves a medical condition(physical, mental, emotional)--The Bell Jar

6)read a book with a one word title-- Night by Elie Wiesel

7)read a book with the name of a country, state, or city in it. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

8) read a banned/challenged book (http://deletecensorship.org/downloads...)-- Beloved by Toni Morrison

9)read a book set in a place you've always wanted to visit/live-- The Kite Runner

10)read a book written by someone of your same heritage (i.e. Belgian, Swiss, whatever)--The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
by Sherman Alexie ( I have a little Native American in me..)

15 points
1)read a book that has a college student as the main character or is a person that is near your age--Confessions of a Shopoholic-- (main character is a recent college grad..does that work? its' near my age)

2) read a book from an author that was born/or had lived in your state/geographical area--
Tender Is the Night
by F. Scott Fitzgerald (MARYLAND)

3) read a book about/relating to the particular field of study you are in/were in--
The Freedom Writers Diary: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them
by Erin Gruwell, Zlata Filipovic (I'm going to be a teacher)

4) Read a book written by a GoodReads author--Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

5) Read a book about a person you admire--
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
by Doris Kearns Goodwin

6) Read a book about a subject you wish you could have studied in school--
How to Lie With Statistics by Darrell Huff

7) read a book by an author you hate (Maybe you just got turned off by one book and he/she is actually a good author... you might have just read the one bad book? Or maybe your hatred is waranted.. either way you'll know for sure)-- Tom Clancy..

8) read that book you were supposed to read in high school but instead used SparkNotes for-- I Know WHy The Caged Bird Sings

25 points
1)book with over 700 pages-- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

2)read a book with your name in the title or is by an author with your same name.--
Music Through the Dark: A Tale of Survival in Cambodia (Intersections (Honolulu, Hawaii).)
by Bree Lafreniere

3)read a book about a different religion than you are--
Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller

4) read a book that you would normally never consider picking up (something daunting, something that is a genre you hate. Etc.)--
Gone With The Wind
by Margaret Mitchell

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

my tentative list..i'm ocd about crossing them off!

5 points-
1) Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2)Dubliners by James Joyce
3)Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4) Another bullshit night in suck city by nick flynn
5)Running with Scissors: A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs
6)The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
7)Jessica Z
8)Water for Elephants-- Sara Gruen
9)The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne
10) Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

10 points
1) A wedding in December by Anita Shreve
2) The Bell Jar by Sylvia plath (yay October!)
3) Old School by Tobias Wolff
4) Everything is Illuminated-- Jonathan Safran Foer
5) Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood
6) Crank by Ellen Hopkins
7) Eat, Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
8) The Bluest Eye—toni morrison
9) Memoirs of a Geisha--(I've always wanted to go to Japan! )
10)something by CS Lewish..he's Welsh and Scottish.

15 points
1)Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia - Marya Hornbacher
2) the good earth by pearl s buck (we even have a Pearl S. Buck house..that's where i want to get married!)
3) Fashion Babylon
4) House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
5) Edie: American Girl by Jean Stein
6) The Birth of the Beat Generation: Visionaries, Rebels, and Hipsters, 1944-1960
7) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
8) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

25 points
1) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
2) Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan by Jamie Zeppa
3) The Muslim next door : the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing by Sumbul Ali-Karamali
4) War & Peace-- Leo Tolstoy

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Well, at least now I have something to do in my American lit class today. I'm so excited about this challenge! I hope I do well. I hope everyone does well and even if they (by they, I really mean I) don't do so well, they'll still get a lot out of the books they read.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker One quick question...In high school, I read Heart of Darkness and from then on detested Conrad. Can I re-read Heart of Darkness for the author you really hate?

I plan on working on my list today, so I'll post what I came up with, but I'd like someone to check it.

message 7: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Lori..that's totally fine for Heart of Darkness. I admire you..i had to read it this past year..and HATED it and I would not ever try to reread it!

message 8: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments mmm..i'm in class right now..working on my list!! This is going to be great!! I agree with Bree..the categories aren't too hard to fit in things you actually want to read..i was checking out the one on TNBBC and it looks fun and i'd probably end up reading stuff i wouldn't normally..but as a college student i already have to read so much i don't want to read..that's why i love this challenge! so good job girls!! i'll be posting my list soon!

message 9: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments 5 points-

1) Change of Heart by Jodi Picolt
2) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
by James Joyce
3)The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn (Paperback)
by Mark Twain
4)Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
5) Marley & Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan
6)Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
7)Jessica Z by Shawn K.
8) Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
9) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
10) The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

10 points
1) The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, but Could Have, and May Yet by Jill Conner Browne, Karin Gillespie
2) Prodigal Summer: A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver (April baby!)
3)Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems by David Rakoff
4)The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
5) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon
6) Saturday by Ian McEwan
7) Shopaholic Takes Manhatten
8) 1984--george orwell
9)Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
10) The Metamorphosis and Other Stories
by Franz Kafka (yayy Germans!)

15 points
1) You're Not You: A Novel by Michelle Wildgen
2) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
3) Teacher Man: A Memoir by Frank McCourt (ENglish teacher)
4) Stardust by Neil Gaiman
5) JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters by James W. Douglass
6) Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
7) My Friend Leonard by James Frey
8) Lord of the Flies--William Golding

25 points
1)Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
2)Katerina: A Novel by Aharon Appelfeld
3)A Rabbi Talks With Jesus by Jacob Neusner
4) Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments Jamie does my #1 under 10 points count..it has the word may in it..but necessarily used as a month?

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Katerina..that's totally fine!

also..if you guys are looking for birthdays of authors for the one challenge..

http://librarybooklists.org/literaryb...

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

just to clarify..does that mean you just finished The Thirteenth Tale for the challenge? (btw..how did you like it..i'm reading it right now!)

just so i don't miss any read books for the challenge..once you finish them can you do a post like..

finished x for x challenge for x amount of points.

i just want to make sure that i have all the points accounted for!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments yay! I have been wanting to do this since i joined the group..didn't we try to start one wayy back in the beginning of this group? I have a lot of school work to do..but after looking over the list i think i can do some of these pretty easily. I know i'm not going to win but it will be fun! what's the prize??

message 14: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Reading a whole bunch of great books! Isn't that prize enough? :)

I am going to try to participate, will probably do much better after April 15th. :)

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i can't tell the prize!! but you should know its a good one!! but yes..half the prize is reading a bunch of great books like Tami said!! :)

ooh tax season huh Tami??

that's most of the reason why i wanted to have it be a longer lasting challenge so that everyone can participate at some point!

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

sounds good..the one about school/class is a bit of a stretch but i'll go ahead and just put in "teacher" as one of the school words..because after searching..there aren't many! so..everything looks good Lauren! :)

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I wish I had a list made up already! I want to leave myself open and not make a list and stick with it (because as soon as I say, "I will read this," I don't want to anymore. I'm working on it though. I have a couple of questions, but I'll wait until I get a somewhat fuller list before clarifying on titles.

message 19: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i always end up changing them all the time..i make a list to start and then go from there! :)

good luck everyone!!

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Jamie, I edited my list. What I did is at the end of it I put "Total Points So Far" and I will edit it everytime I update my completion of challenges. Does that makes sense?

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Looks like fun!! I'll try and come up with a list soon :)

message 22: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Ashley..great..thanks! :) makes sense to me now!

oh and btw..Bree is going to help tag team this with me..so that way there are 2 people answering questions about if stuff fits and adding up points..just to be fair! :)

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments does a book count if we started it before the challenge officially began, but we're still reading it now?

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah..that's fine!

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquereads) Very interesting challenge. I would join but I have joined to many challenges for this year and already have a list of 60 books.

message 26: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

aww that's too bad! we would love to have you join in! :(

I'm sure you could fit some of those books in the challenge somewhere! :)

haha but don't feel pressured..i totally understand having too much to do and to read! good luck with all your other challenges!

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Would the published journals of someone (Sylvia Plath for instance) count as a memoir?

message 28: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah! that will work!

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Thanks for checking it out Jamie! I'll do what you said about posting what I've read for how many points and stuff and then I'll just edit my list up there with a slashout when I've finished. Yah! =)

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I just thought of this... I know we've been making lists of book for each category, but if we finish these, do we keep going for more points? Say like read another book for a category we've already done?

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah..i think that's a good idea..if someone finishes all the challenges..they can go ahead and try to do it again to get more points.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh justine some of your books look super interesting!

message 35: by Michelle (last edited Mar 01, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 132 comments 1) Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
3) Emma by Jane Austen
4) The Perks of Being a Wall Flower by Stephen Chbosky
5) Running with Scissors A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs
6) Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
7) Jessica Z. by Shawn Klomparens
8) Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
9) The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
10) Seven Seconds or Less My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns by Jack McCallum

10 points
1) February Flowers by Fan Wu
2) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (May, and boy is May slim-pickins lol)
3) The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta
4) Matilda by Roald Dahl
5) Down Came the Rain My Journey Through Postpartum Depression by Brooke Shields
6) Stardust by Neil Gaiman
7) Reading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi
8) Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
9) North of Ithaka A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots by Eleni N. Gage (Greece)
10) Lipsi's Daughter by Patty Apostolides (Greek)

15 points
1) Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger
2) The Glass Castle A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (Arizona)
3) Quiet, Please Dispatches From A Public Librarian by Scott Douglas
4) Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
5) Behind the Mask The Life of Queen Elizabeth I by Jane Resh Thomas (I’m not sure if I admire her yet, I want to find out lol)
6) The Great Influenza The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History by John M. Barry
7) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (not sure if I hate him or just hated my English teacher)
8) Lord of the Flies by William Golding

25 points
1) My Life by Bill Clinton
2) Valencia by Michelle Tea
3) A Rabbi Talks With Jesus by Jacob Neusner
4) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Total: 10 Points

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I had a question, marked by a bunch of * so please make sure you see it. I want to try to work with my list a bit and get some more non-fiction into some of the categories, but we shall see.

message 38: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha Lori..I just searched and wow does that woman have alot of trashy romance novels..haha well..what you could always do is pick a Lori who spells it differently..like Laurie...there are a bunch of those..or you could use Lo..either way..it's ok.

message 39: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I commend those of you who are thinking about reading War & Peace. Ahh! I was going to put that for the last category (intimidating books) but I read the first page on Amazon, and I'm like "Absolutely not." Haha. But I've always been intimidated by Gravity's Rainbow, so I chose that instead.

message 40: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) | 31 comments This sounds fun! :) My list (with reservation to changes if I find something else that fits and that I would rather read):

5 points-
1)For Valentines Day: read a book with the word heart or love in it.
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez OR PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern OR The History of Love A Novelby Nicole Krauss

2)For Saint Patty’s day: read a book set in Ireland, is by an Irish author, or whose main character is Irish.
Quentins by Maeve Binchy

3)read a classic
So many to choose from so I'll wait for this.

4)Read a book by an author you've never read before
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

5)Read a memoir
Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

6)March is National Women's History Month so read a book where a woman is the main character
Persuasion by Jane Austen OR Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

7)read a CS group read (either past or present)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

8)read a book with any kind of food/drink in the title
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen OR White Apples by Jonathan Carroll OR Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

9) read a book written in the last 5 years
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K Rowling

10) Read a book that you already own
I own many that I have yet to read so I'll pick later.

10 points
1)read a book with the name of a month in it.
A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve OR What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson OR Three Junes by Julia Glass OR August by Gerard Woodward

2) read a book with an author that has same birthday month as you
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Same birthdate, as well!!! XD Can't I get extra points for that? ;) Just kidding.

3)read a book with either the word “school”,“class”, "college", "university" or "teacher" in it.
The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta OR The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

4)read a book and then watch the movie adaptation
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd OR The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau

5) read a book that involves a medical condition(physical, mental, emotional)
6)read a book with a one word title
7)read a book with the name of a country, state, or city in it.
8) read a banned/challenged book (http://deletecensorship.org/downloads...)
9)read a book set in a place you've always wanted to visit/live
10)read a book written by someone of your same heritage (i.e. Belgian, Swiss, whatever)

15 points
1)read a book that has a college student as the main character or is a person that is near your age
2) read a book from an author that was born/or had lived in your state/geographical area
3) read a book about/relating to the particular field of study you are in/were in
4) Read a book written by a GoodReads author
5) Read a book about a person you admire
6) Read a book about a subject you wish you could have studied in school
7) read a book by an author you hate (Maybe you just got turned off by one book and he/she is actually a good author... you might have just read the one bad book? Or maybe your hatred is waranted.. either way you'll know for sure)
8) read that book you were supposed to read in high school but instead used SparkNotes for

25 points
1)book with over 700 pages
2)read a book with your name in the title or is by an author with your same name.
3)read a book about a different religion than you are
4) read a book that you would normally never consider picking up (something daunting, something that is a genre you hate. Etc.)

I need to cook dinner now so I'll have to continue choosing books later. Most of them could however change.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Just finished Nefertiti A Novel for a book that I already own for 5 points! =)

message 42: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Leader Board:

Ashley--5 points
Lauren--5 points

haha we all better catch up to these 2!! :)

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Brianna, I've heard that I'm related to Jesse too!

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jamie, I have a question on the religion category. I'm reading The Year of Living Biblically, which is about a guy that is of Jewish descent, but is an agnostic. However, he is taking the Bible as literally as possible for a year. Does that count since he's of a different religion?

message 46: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah definitely! you are good for that one! :)

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Just finished Sold for a book with a different religion than me for 25 points.

message 48: by sara frances (last edited Feb 08, 2009 06:13PM) (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) Yay! Thanks for making this Jamie! I'm so excited to do a reasonable challenge!

5 points

1)For Valentines Day: read a book with the word heart or love in it. - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
2)For Saint Patty’s day: read a book set in Ireland, is by an Irish author, or whose main character is Irish. - Picture of Dorian Grey
3)read a classic - Frankenstein
4)Read a book by an author you've never read before - Bridget Jones' Diary
5)Read a memoir - The Woman Warrior
6)March is National Women's History Month so read a book where a woman is the main character - The Secret Life of Bees
7)read a CS group read (either past or present) - Jessica Z
8)read a book with any kind of food/drink in the title - The Grapes of Wrath
9) read a book written in the last 5 years - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
10) Read a book that you already own - Crime and Punishment

10 points

1)read a book with the name of a month in it. - The October Horse
2) read a book with an author that has same birthday month as you - Anne Rice book
3)read a book with either the word “school”,“class”, "college", "university" or "teacher" in it. - How I Paid for College
4)read a book and then watch the movie adaptation - Confessions of a Shopaholic (I have a total girl crush on that red head!)
5) read a book that involves a medical condition(physical, mental, emotional) - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
6)read a book with a one word title - Middlesex
7)read a book with the name of a country, state, or city in it. - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
8) read a banned/challenged book (http://deletecensorship.org/downloads...) - Catch-22
9)read a book set in a place you've always wanted to visit/live - Memoirs of a Geisha
10)read a book written by someone of your same heritage (i.e. Belgian, Swiss, whatever) - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

15 points

1)read a book that has a college student as the main character or is a person that is near your age - Franny and Zooey
2) read a book from an author that was born/or had lived in your state/geographical area - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (He went to my college! :D)
3) read a book about/relating to the particular field of study you are in/were in - Making a Killing
4) Read a book written by a GoodReads author - The Alchemist
5) Read a book about a person you admire - Isaac Asimov
6) Read a book about a subject you wish you could have studied in school - Feminism is For Everybody
7) read a book by an author you hate (Maybe you just got turned off by one book and he/she is actually a good author... you might have just read the one bad book? Or maybe your hatred is waranted.. either way you'll know for sure) - Gulliver's Travels (I had to read this for my AP English class and I HATED it)
8) read that book you were supposed to read in high school but instead used SparkNotes for - The Book of the City of Ladies

25 points

1)book with over 700 pages - Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
2)read a book with your name in the title or is by an author with your same name. - Water for Elephants
3)read a book about a different religion than you are - The Jewel of Medina
4) read a book that you would normally never consider picking up (something daunting, something that is a genre you hate. Etc.) - War and Peace

message 49: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Okay, so I read Franny and Zooey today, and it was AWESOME. The first 5 star book of the year! I can't wait to hear what you all think about it! =)

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy it this week because I really want to read it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7