Start by marking “May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)” as Want to Read:
May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)

May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  6,390 Ratings  ·  474 Reviews
Most people aren't very comfortable in the woods, but the woods of Briery Swamp fit May Bird like a fuzzy mitten. There, she is safe from school and the taunts and teases of kids who don't understand her. Hidden in the trees, May is a warrior princess, and her cat, Somber Kitty, is her brave guardian.

Then May falls into the lake.

When she crawls out, May finds herself i

Published May 23rd 2006 by Aladdin (first published August 30th 2005)

Amanda
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
May Bird and the Ever After, the first book in the Ever After trilogy, tells the tale of a 10-year-old girl named May, her kitty named Somber Cat and the horrifying adventures they have in Ever After, the world of the dead.

This was a truly fantastic tale of adventure and friendship. I've read many children's books and May Bird and the Ever After is most definitely one of the most imaginative books I have read. The author created an entirely unique and amazing world, one that was both fascinatin
Caitlyn
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite series as a child. I wasn't a little girl that fantasizes about ponies and rainbows, I enjoyed the dark stuff. This was perfectly dark enough for the age I was, and fulfilled my wishes of a dark, but beautiful other world. Plus, May was pretty relatable.
Kendra
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ermagerd
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

May Bird and the Ever After is one of the greatest books I've ever read. I'll try not to let my personal bias get in the way in this review, but I just want to say that this--and the rest of the trilogy--was one of the most inspirational and impactful books I've ever read in my entire life.

May Bird is a 5th grade girl, and like most protagonists, is disliked by everyone at school. The only one she can really call her friend is her cat, Somber Kitty, who is--of c
Ronda
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Meet 10-year-old May Bird, who lives with her mother and a hairless rex cat named Somber Kitty at the edge of a woods in a place called Briery Swamp. She spends much of her time with her cat in the woods, dreaming of being a warrior princess or in her room drawing pictures of strange creatures. She's not like the other kids in her class, who think she's just plain weird. May Bird's mother, concerned and coming to her wits' end with May's "strange" behavior, is talking about sending her away to a ...more
Ryan
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two stars looks like an awfully disappointed assessment, but take the rating for what it represents: "It was OK."

After an Alice in Wonderland-ish tumble through a watery portal, May Bird finds herself in the Ever After, a macabre world populated by ghosts and specters (the former never lived, the latter did, or maybe vice-versa). While trying to discover a way home to her mother, May learns that the ghost world is suffering under the tyrannical fist of a particularly bad bogey whose edicts and m
Ellen
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
3.5. It was cute. :) Wait- am I allowed to call creepy books cute? It was spooky, but in a good way. Really fun. (Plus, the main character's name is May ELLEN Bird. Enough said. XD)
Melissa Jacobson
Actual Rating 4.5

I thoroughly enjoyed this middle grade read! The world was the perfect blend of whimsical and dingy and the character were quirky amd entertaining. This was such a delightful little story and I cannot wait to read the remaining two books in this trilogy!
Anna Moseley
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit, paranormal
This book is fantastic! I could relate to May wonderfully. I have a morbid streak and have grown up in the woods all my life. Like May I've had my ups and downs when it comes to fitting in. I think a lot of people can relate to that, especially those who are apart of the book's target age group.

Ok, so it has ghosts and trees and a relatable heroine. So far so good. What else made me love this book? The writing style hands down. The writing style was really on par with the target audience. I nev
Taejas Kudva
Jun 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids, girls especially, into fantasy adventure
Recommended to Taejas by: Madison Parks
Shelves: kids-books
The second Pirates of the Caribbean movie annoyed the heck out of me because it and the third should have just been one movie. Well, and I didn't realize it was going to be a cliffhanger ending.

The first May Bird bok falls into the same category. Now, it didn't leave me with a tremendous headache like the second Pirates movie did, but the book didn't finish so much as it ended. It seemed like the end of a chapter, not the end of a story, and it is very possible to have great episodic books where
Kogiopsis
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This book has been on my to-read list for so long that I've forgotten why it was there, but that's alright: it turned out to be charmingly creepy, and not nearly as juvenile as I'd expected.

In a lot of ways, this is similar to Catherine Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, in that both are stories about young girls sucked into dangerous magical realms. May Bird finds herself in the afterlife, which has its own complicated social structure and politics, b
Sandy
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: Patron
After getting a request for this book from a kid who has proven to have excellent taste (she's a regular at the library, and we've done a lot of book talking!), I finally picked up May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn Anderson. I was kind of impressed with the book. May is a friendless 10-year-old girl who has a vivid imagination...and the threat of being sent to boarding school looming over her shoulder. One day while walking in the woods near her home, she falls into a lake and is sucked i ...more
Asia Campbell
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a really good book i loved it.
Karla
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: childrens
Hmmmmm...took me a while to get into it. But now I can't wait to read the next one. Reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. May Bird and her cat Somber Kitty (as opposed to Toto the dog) get trapped in a fantastic world, the world of the dead, where she makes lots of oddball friends as she tries to get back home to her mother. This story is quirky and funny in places, but also a scary...of course, so was the Wicked Witch of the West - here it is the Bogeyman, who hunts May down with dogs instead of flyi ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
In this book May Bird is whisked off to the land of the dead, called Ever After, and adventures her way across the land, searching for a way home. She makes some ghostly friends, and some enemies, in her quest to find the Book of the Dead which holds the answers to every question.

The writing is excellent, and there are many good characters. I just don't like ghost stories. All the Halloween-style world building was not to my taste, but I think other people would enjoy that kind of setting.

The st
Becky
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I read this for 5th grade Battle of the Books and wrote 25 questions for it. Considering that I don't really like high fantasy (which most of this is other than a brief introduction to May Bird before she tumbles into The Ever After), I must say I was intrigued with this book. It was certainly original and fast-paced with marvelously described characters both living and dead...not to mention Somber Kitty! I can see why my 5th grade girls like it (I'll try to get them to read Theodosia and the Se ...more
Crystal
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was excited to find a book that I was able to enjoy with my daughter. We read a couple chapters every night and quickly went on to finish "May Bird Among the Stars". Can't wait for the last one to be in paperback.
Mckenna
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A young outsider, May Bird is dragged into the underworld- no place for mortals, but with the help of her hairless cat, somber kitty, and an unexpected friend, can she get back home?
sam appelbaum
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
VERY GOOD! i had to read it for a book club during school (bleh!) but ended up LOVING IT!!! READ
Jessica
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't recall how many times I've read this book by now. It's always been a childhood favorite of mine ever since I picked it up in 2006 at a scholastic book fair. The imagination that went into creating a world that was macabre but also whimsical at the same time is phenomenal.

With every read, I notice something different whether it be a layer to a character relationship or the story's plot itself.

With loveable characters and a world I'de love to dive into myself (pun FULLY intended), I'll gla
Jody
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I enjoyed this story, it follows a 10 year old girl who ends up in the after life (The Ever After) and meets a whole bunch of crazy ghostly characters on her adventure to get back home. But it never really drew me in and while I enjoyed the idea and the world, it wasn’t complex enough for me and didn’t stand up to some other middle grade stories that I enjoyed more. However, I personally think it’s a pretty good story as far as middle grade goes and I would recommend it to someone close to the a ...more
Etola
A charming book that makes me think of Coraline done with a Harry Potter-esque tone. There were moments of genuine humor in the colorful world-building, and May is a very likeable protagonist who battles her own insecurities just as much as she tries to escape ghouls and other similar nasties. There were times when my interest waned, but once Beatrice and Fabbio appeared on the scene, I found myself more engaged.

The book didn't necessarily blow me away, but it was a fun read and I definitely wa
Trina
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was hard to plug through. While reading it aloud to my girls, I often found they weren't even paying attention because they were so bored with it. But we persevered and worked out way through it so that we could find out the ending to the great plot line set up at the beginning of the book; only to find it wasn't answered, and the book is a series. UGH! What a disappointment; it's drawn out too long for us....
Callie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite of mine

I read this book so many times on sick days and vacations as a kid. I looked up to May Bird for her bravery, and I fell in love for the vividness and quirkiness of the Ever After. Now that I’m an adult I still love this story and recommend it to anyone who loves strange,wonderful, and heartwarming adventures.
Victoria MacGregor
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I am asked, "What is your favorite book?" I usually reply, "The May Bird series by Jodi Lynn Anderson." It is filled to brim with magic and imaginative scenes you can see perfectly in your mind because the writing is so clear. Pumpkin is my spirit animal.
Vina Nurziani
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Karakternya punya ciri yang khas. Biasanya karakter utama itu dibuat aneh di hadapan karakter lainnya, tapi karakter May Bird punya masalah dengan dirinya sendiri dan itu membuatnya aneh.
Courtney Aguilar
I loved this book as a kid and I wanted to reread the series. I remembered a lot of this book but I also forgot a bunch and I was still as nervous as I was when I first read it.
Mary Grace
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully dark, ominous, and strange.
Errin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, May Bird and the Ever After is an amazing book full of beautiful characters whom I will always love. If you love fantasy, I suggest reading the May Bird series.
Foreign Grid
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I once had an imaginary friend named pumpkin as well.
Kasia
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved how this book was written. the imagery was wonderful. is one of those books where you want to figure out everything so you don't want to stop.
  • Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator (Gilda Joyce, #1)
  • School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1)
  • The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)
  • The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • All's Fairy in Love and War (Avalon: Web of Magic #8)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Stargazer (The Land of Elyon #4)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Seven Sorcerers (Seven Sorcerers #1)
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Standard Hero Behavior
I write strange and mythical stories about young people.
More about Jodi Lynn Anderson...

May Bird (3 books)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
“But I don't want to lose my guts answered Pumpkin ” 7 likes
“Dear Miss Bird,
The Lady of North Farm had asked us to send you this map to Briery Swamp Lake, just in case. She thought you might be having trouble finding it on your own, and she is expecting you to be prompt. We are very sorry for the danger you will endure, but we eagerly await your arrival should you survive it, as we are in great need of your help. The Lady joins me in sending you good luck and best wishes.
Sincerely,