Start by marking “Perelandra (The Space Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Perelandra (The Space Trilogy, #2)

Perelandra

(The Space Trilogy #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  38,973 ratings  ·  2,269 reviews

The second book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which also includes Out of the Silent Planet and That Hideous Strength, Perelandra continues the adventures of the extraordinary Dr. Ransom. Pitted against the most destructive of human weaknesses, temptation, the great man must battle evil on a new planet — Perelandra — when it is invaded by a dark force. Will Pere

Published December 5th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Perelandra, please sign up.
Ferrell I read Perelandra in 1976 before reading Out of the Silent Planet and fell in love immediately. I think Perelandra is the better of the two, so I'm no…moreI read Perelandra in 1976 before reading Out of the Silent Planet and fell in love immediately. I think Perelandra is the better of the two, so I'm not sure I would have gone on to Perelandra if I had started with OOTS Planet, but I will never know. I do like OOTS.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Danna It felt familiar to me, too, I think because it follows the old classic pattern of science fiction in which a narrator regales us with a fantastical s…moreIt felt familiar to me, too, I think because it follows the old classic pattern of science fiction in which a narrator regales us with a fantastical story of adventure that has already happened, and as such we already know that the participants live to tell the tale. This particular story also deals so obviously with classic themes and archetypes including good vs evil and other common allegorical explorations of Judeo-Christian philosophy. They say every story that can be told has already been told, it's simply a matter of variety in the specifics of style and detail and complexity. :-)(less)

·  38,973 ratings  ·  2,269 reviews

Start your review of Perelandra (The Space Trilogy, #2)
Manny
"James, does the name 'Perelandra' mean anything to you?"

"Yes, I believe so. Poetic name for the planet Venus. Inhabited by two analogues of Adam and Eve, living in a state of prelapsarian bliss. All sounds rather pleasant."

"Very good, James. However, we've received intelligence that SMERSH have infiltrated an agent, who is going to try to tempt the Eve-analogue. We want you to stop him."

"Well, as a boy, I always did enjoy stealing the odd apple."

"Don't be flippant, James."

"I find it's the most
Stephen
5.0 stars. I thought this was an AMAZING book. After liking Out of the Silent Planet, this novel blew me away. The theme of the book is a re-telling of the "Fall" of Adam and Eve using Venus (called Perelandra) as the setting. You can tell that C. S. Lewis was really "feeling" the prose as he wrote this and his passion for the work was evident throughout. I thought it read like lush poetry that was both powerful and emotional.

I was deeply impressed by this story and now look forward to reading
Douglas Wilson
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great. Also read in January of 1990. And also read in April of 2009. Also read in January of 1985. Also read in July of 1980. Listened to it again on audio in 2015.
Michael
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to write a review about “Perelandra”. There is so much that could be said that it is hard to know where to begin. Its story is so rich, the imagery so beautiful, the underlying themes so profound and complex, its theology so full that no summary can do it justice. I would rather simply encourage everyone to read it and let each discover its joys for themselves. But since there is no reason for anyone to merely take my word for it, I will do my best to support my recommendation.

Th
Megan Baxter
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
C.S. Lewis, I'm disappointed in you. And that's the first time that has happened. I don't share your religion, but it's never kept me from enjoying one of your books before. I have been in love with the Narnia books since first I read them. I enjoyed the first book in this series. I even enjoyed the start of the theological discussions in these books. And then I hated where they went.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can
Mike (the Paladin)
My favorite of the trilogy. Excellent.

The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis is a classic early science fiction read while at the same time being a more than excellent allegorical story of Christian faith. I'd say that if you aren't a Christian that won't keep you from enjoying the books. The allegory aside you will still get wonderful time tested S/F classic.

This volume gives a sort of retelling allegorically of the Genesis story, but with a difference. This book is (in my opinion) more than simply we
Liam Degnan
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars .

So here's a fun fact: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were the best of friends (Lewis even dedicated The Screwtape Letters to Tolkein). Lewis wrote this series because of a contest him and Tolkien had, in which one of them agreed to write a trilogy about Space Travel, while the other would write a trilogy about Time Travel. For Lewis, this series was the result . . . Tolkien, unfortunately, never actually finished his book on Time Travel haha.

When they first met, Lewis was a staunc
Paul Christensen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels-and-sagas
Speculative theology, in the shape of a trip to the Morning Star
With a portrait of the devil that reminds of Poe’s M. Valdemar.

Part of me sees this devil trope as a vile, obnoxious leftist
Bent on destroying folkways (for he derides the Venusian deftness

Which makes them avoid a certain island, something the Left would call
‘Essentialist’). But, really, hard to know how Lewis would scrawl

If he’d lived to the current era. Would he have been a Christian cuck,
Or would he have gone full Fourteen Word
Charles H
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Perelandra is the second of C.S. Lewis's space trilogy. In that universe, it is the name of the planet Venus - a beautiful sinless planet with life at its dawn. Perelandra is a passionate and fierce ocean world with awesome storms, golden sunlight, millions of floating islands, and critters to inhabit them. On Perelandra live only two sentient creatures: the King and the Queen. They rule the world as Adam and Eve. A philologist named Ransom is sent from Earth as God's representative with an unkn ...more
Nicholas Kotar
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Whatever you might think of the quality of the currently popular fantasy books, comic books/movies, and long-form TV offerings, one thing is for sure. Dark and grim is king right now.

Of course, judging by the news, there are good reason for this. Things are not going so well in places like Ukraine, Syria, Iraq. This election is more a cheap reality show than the choosing of the leader of the free world. Suicides and drug use are on the rise. There are few heroes to look up to, and most of our w
Elizabeth Dragina
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have finally fished this deep book. I'm still lost in the world and the depth of thought. . . .

It's not for the faint of heart or weak of mind. 😂

Perelandra is gorgeous and perfect fantasy. I miss the world so much.
David Mosley
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in the following years:
2007
2010 (January 31)
2012 (23-25 April)
2013 (29-31 March)
2014 (2-6 August)
2015 (19-27 August)
Celeste
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Lewis crafted something so incredibly special in Perelandra. The theological depth found in Out of the Silent Planet, the first novel in this trilogy, was expanded and deepened in this second installment. However, the density of Lewis’s writing was much easier to navigate here, making for a more enjoyable story all around. It’s rare for a second book in a series to so far surpass the first book, but that is exactly what occurs in Lewis’s Space Trilogy.

Ransom, the hero of the trilogy, has a
Cori
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't know if I was accurately anticipating what the contents of this book would be. The planet, Perelandra, is Venus. Lewis's world-building circulated around the concept of femininity and graceful beauty. And the plot recreated a rendition of Satan's temptation in the Garden of Eden.

The concepts and prose were gorgeous, as usual. And Lewis gives the reader so much to chew on. Honestly, this is a fairly slow book for a fiction/sci-fi novel, though not disappointing. Well worth the read. It j
Kat  Hooper
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Perelandra is the second volume of C.S. Lewis’s SPACE TRILOGY and I liked it even better than Out of the Silent Planet, its predecessor. Cambridge professor Dr. Elwin Ransom is back on Earth and has told his friend Lewis about the adventures he had on the planet Mars and the supernatural beings he met there. When Ransom explains that there’s an epic battle between good and evil, that the planet Venus is about to play an important part, and that he’s been called to Ven
Alex
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
"In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost, here goes--I mean, Amen!" --Dr. Ransom, before throwing a rock in Satan's face.

The second book in C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy" was overall better than the first. My one caveat for tackling this trilogy is to prepare yourself for some hardcore contemplation of Christianity and its relationship to outer space--it's definitely not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it. Perelandra sees Dr. Ransom traveling to Venus (which is actually called Perelan
Julie Davis
Good Story 204. Julie and Scott were supposed to do whatever God asked on Perelandra, but they were distracted by apples and fixed lands. They are now waiting for a new assignment.

========

Just as with Out of the Silent Planet, I found the beginning of the book fairly uninviting. However, also just as in that book, having the audio helped me past that to the point where I was amazed at C.S. Lewis's imagination in the world of Perelandra. Simply astounding. I am also caught up in the story for its
raffaela
I had a similar experience with this one as I did with Out of the Silent Planet, which is to say I really enjoyed it. It was definitely slower and more intense than the first book, and had a very different flavor, but still very good in its own right. There's more here than can be grasped on a first reading, and so I will definitely be revisiting this at some point.
Kathryn
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000, 2009, 2012, reread-books
I re-read this book (the second book in the Space Trilogy) for at least the second time as the September selection for my Sci-Fi Fantasy Book Club (meeting on the evening of September 11, 2012). It seems that every time I read this book (which is much more theology and fantasy than it is science fiction) that I like it more.

The main character from Out of the Silent Planet, Dr. Elwin Ransom, returns once again in this book; he is sent to the planet Perelandra (Venus) by the Oyrasa of Malacandra (
Alana
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a senior in high school, I decided to do my author paper on C. S. Lewis and choose to specifically emphasize this book. Of the three books in the space trilogy, this one would be my favorite. I love how Lewis takes a look back at what the garden of Eden might have been like while still avoiding being allegorical. I love how he throws in huge theological truths in a more understandable story form. There are points where I would differ from him theologically, but that does little to det ...more
Y.K. Willemse
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the world building alone. C. S. Lewis had incredible ability to put himself in a completely foreign situation. The plot was sterling too, with a stirring face off between good and evil.
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
Interesting tale, dampened for me by too much physical description.
Trice
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2011, scifi-fantasy
Maybe it's the audio version or maybe it's the timing, but this time around - my 2nd through the book - there are some thoughts that are really connecting at every level, in particular the horror of the Unman and of the Fallen and the understanding of the joy and freedom found in obedience to the one true God.

The one thing that's bothered me so far is that in a couple places Lewis almost seems to imply that we shouldn't be pushing for greater scientific understanding, or for space exploration. T
Kris
Absolutely amazing, life-changing book. Full of beautiful descriptions in tightly packed prose, built to hold great philosophical questions, all inside of science-fiction. I really felt it deserved quiet, meditative surroundings in order for the reader to properly take in all the ideas. I often grew impatient and frustrated because I wanted to finish it in this sort of surrounding, but I could never have that while reading for college.

While I can see how some readers might feel bogged down with
Angela Blount
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A classic piece of speculative science fiction, drawn with a deep theological bent.

"...and it will seem to you the master movement. And the seeming will be true. Let no mouth open to gainsay it. There seems no plan because it is all plan: there seems no center because it is all center."

Lewis strikes a balance between continuation and stand-alone in this, the second book in his space trilogy. Unlike the first book, Out of the Silent Planet, he doesn’t pay tribute to the style of H. G. Wells--an
Jenny
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy
Oct 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-s-lewis
It was good and gave me a lot to think about, you can tell its by the same author as Narnia :D

Perfection is not an easy thing to grasp hold of. The very notion of good seems completely unfathomable, much less flawlessness. What might the world have been like before sin? What would it be like to think and live in absolute innocence?
C.S. Lewis takes a stab at these questions and more in his fascinating sequel to “Out of the Silent Planet” and second book in the “Space Trilogy”, with “Perelandra
David West
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a book! I had no intention of reading CS Lewis’s space trilogy until a childish pride recently compelled me to just knock out all of his books, but this one blew me away. I honestly think it’s an underrated piece of literature and deserves much more readership. The adventure is nail-biting and the moral struggle is unbelievable and convincing. For such a short book, I actually didn’t find it a specially quick read, but I wholeheartedly recommend this second of the trilogy. You could ev ...more
Fred Warren
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
C.S. Lewis’ Perelandra is my favorite Christian science fiction novel. It’s the second book in his celebrated Space Trilogy, which chronicles the adventures of British philologist (language expert) Edwin Ransom as he travels between Earth, Mars, and Venus and discovers his fate is inextricably connected with events both physical and spiritual on all three worlds.

In Perelandra, Ransom is transported to Venus, “Perelandra,” a world of vast oceans and floating islands. There he meets Tinidril, a be
Goodreads Librari...: Add reciprocal ACE info 3 13 Nov 17, 2018 08:09AM
Sci-fi Women: Perelandra - Book Discussion - Join in :) 1 16 Aug 24, 2015 03:31AM

• Phantastes
  • The Princess and Curdie (Princess Irene and Curdie, #2)
  • Called to Attraction
  • The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Making Choices: Practical Wisdom for Everyday Moral Decisions
  • Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1: A Biography of Young Jack Lewis
  • The Princess and the Goblin  (Princess Irene and Curdie, #1)
  • Descent into Hell
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • From Jobless to Amazon Bestseller: The Step-by-Step System I Followed to Write, Self-publish, Market and Promote my Book to Become a #1 Bestseller on Amazon
  • The Fellowship: The Literary Lives of the Inklings: J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams
  • Who Needs Classical Music?: Cultural Choice and Musical Value
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers
  • A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship, and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-18

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Space Trilogy (3 books)
  • Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)