Start by marking “Sold” as Want to Read:
Sold

Sold

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  41,863 Ratings  ·  5,227 Reviews
Although Lakshmi's family is desperately poor her life still contains simple pleasures; but, when the harsh Himalayan monsoons wash away all the family’s crops, Lakshmi’s stepfather sends her away to take a job to support her family. When she arrives at “Happiness House”, full of hope, she learns the unthinkable truth: she has been sold into prostitution. An exceptional no ...more
Published September 15th 2006 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jill She is young and entirely innocent when she is first enslaved. Her parents send her off to be a maid and she believes that is what the man is doing…moreShe is young and entirely innocent when she is first enslaved. Her parents send her off to be a maid and she believes that is what the man is doing and where he is taking her. (This sounds incredible but it happens often - exactly as the book describes.) She's never seen prostitution or a brothel. She doesn't have a reference for what is happening to her. She is also drugged.(less)
Annika I don't think this book would be 'appropriate' for a 10-year-old (I'd say 13-14+), simply because the language and metaphors would go over their head.…moreI don't think this book would be 'appropriate' for a 10-year-old (I'd say 13-14+), simply because the language and metaphors would go over their head. However, if they already know about sex, rape, slavery, etc. then I'd still suggest waiting. Unless they're a super mature reader, they won't pick up on the little repetitions and details that made this book so good.(less)

Regan
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
Devastating.
Petra X
Beautifully-written with much heartache for these young girls who are sold into prostitution by their families. Sometimes they are sold because of extreme poverty and all money must be spent on the Males of the family. But sometimes, as in the book, they are sold just because the Male wants a new winter coat and a girl is just money wasted in feeding her when she could be sold for cash and no expenses in the future.

The saddest part of the book is the girls weren't "working" for money even. But
Ms.Whitehead
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
AM I PRETTY?

In the days after the hugging man leaves, I consider myself in the mirror. My plain self, not the self wearing lipstick and eyeliner and a flimsy dress.

Sometimes I see a girl who is growing into womanhood. Other days I see a girl growing old before her time.

It doesn't matter, of course. Because no one will ever want me now.

Lakshmi is thirteen-years-old. She lives a simple, albeit impoverished, existence with with her Ama, infant sibling and gambling-addicted stepfather in a Nepalese
Elyse
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Adult book .... one sitting read for adults.

I finished this a couple of days ago. We are taken into a dark underworld — it’s clear many victims were made to endure horrific acts.

This isn’t an unfamiliar story...yet that doesn’t negate its power. Lakshmi is a young Nepalese girl. Lakshmi tells the story....( with a sweet softness that breaks our hearts). Lakshmi gives brief short descriptions: well-told in vignettes.
.....Her wish to buy her mother a tin roof like other neighbors have on
else fine
Jan 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read2009, ya
1. This book conveys less about the triumph of the human spirit and more about how Americans fix everything. In tone it read exactly like an early missionary novel.

2. I wish people would only write novels in verse if the verse actually served some purpose in the plot or the development of the character, or if the verse was good. In Sold it's simply a weird affectation.

3. The fact brought up as an afterthought in the end notes, that Nepalese women are fighting back by educating young village wom
AMEERA
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow
karen
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mark-harmon, hoors
another book i'm not sure gains a lot by being written in verse, unless it is just to slow the pacing down to better appreciate the horror. the beginning pre-sale parts were very beautifully descriptive, and then after that become very unbeautifully descriptive. it's a rough subject matter that doesn't get disney-fied... until the end.
Vessey
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, dark

And so, Love, you launch in vain your insane onslaught: since it will be said - to see me fall yet not surrender - that you managed to kill but failed to conquer.

Juana Inez de la Cruz

When beautiful things are broken, screams begin. When beautiful things are taken, horror begins. When beautiful minds are bended, there is no tomorrow or yesterday or today. There is only a place a million miles away melting in the darkness, seeming like home, but you know it isn’t. It is the death of a broken mind.
Katie B
Lakshmi is a thirteen year old girl who lives with her family in Nepal. She wants to help her family out financially by working as a maid in the city but she is sold into a life of prostitution by her stepfather. This is a fictional story but is based on interviews the author conducted with aid workers and survivors themselves.

This is a tough book to read but I highly recommend giving it a chance if you think you can handle the subject matter. It is written in a simple, almost poetic way and yet
Heather
What a powerful, haunting story! Written in free verse from the perspective of a 13 year old Nepalese girl, who was sold from her mountain home to earn a living as a maid in the big city. Lakshmi was saddened to leave her mother and her baby brother, but she was eager to earn a living so she could send money back to her family for necessities like clothing, food, and a new tin roof, for which they were in desperate need. But when Lakshmi leaves, she is not taken to the big city to work as a maid ...more
Kiwi
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kiwi by: Ms. Fraser
I don't enjoy writing long reviews. I did really enjoy this book. As a warning, do not have ANY intentions of putting this book down. I was reading it the night after a long flight from the US to the UK, and I thought, "I'll read some before I go to bed." I got to the halfway mark and thought, "Well, what's the harm in reading some more?"

And then it was over. Meaning I had spent far longer than I had intended to reading, and the book had been finished in two sittings--one on the plane and one in
Whitney
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While this is a quick read, it does pack quite a bit of punch. This book opens your eyes to what's going on in the world.

I think everyone needs to take some time to read this one.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“Simply to endure is to triumph.”

This book was ROUGH. I read it in one sitting but I'm not sure if I should have or not because it was a lot to take in. Amazing book though.

There are obviously some pretty heavy triggers in this book: child sex-trafficking, and graphic sexual and physical abuse (involving children and women).

I knew going into this one that it wasn't going to be a pleasant read. It almost feels wrong to say that I liked the book. It was brutal, it was uncomfortable and worst
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
"Each year, nearly 12,000 Nepali girls are sold by their families, intentionally or unwittingly, into a life of sexual slavery in the brothels of India."
This author traveled to Nepal and Calcutta for her research, interviewing aid workers and girls who have been rescued from the red-light districts of Calcutta.

The book follows the path of Lakshmi, a thirteen-year-old Nepali girl, as she is sold and makes the journey to India, thinking she is going to be a maid for a rich woman. It's written for
Emily May

Overall: 4 stars

Anna
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm so torn on this one. Read the entire thing in one sitting - it was gripping and staggeringly beautiful in its descriptions of everyday life - both its sublime and simple beauties and its deepest horrors. I love that it takes on sex slavery in an unflinching way - there's no ducking out on or thinking "oh it isn't that bad" as you read Lakshmi's narrative. But, gosh, the ending kills me. White American to the rescue!

To be transparent - this is a text I'm thinking of taking on in my World Lit
Kaora
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
My name is Lakshmi. I am from Nepal. I am thirteen years old.

Sold is the story of Lakshmi, a girl from a small village living with her Ama, baby brother and stepfather. Her stepfather sells her for money to pay gambling debts, and she is brought to the city, only to find out that there is no maid job waiting for her. She has been sold into prostitution.

This story was hard to read. Its really difficult to think about a place where a woman can be sold for $300, and purchased for a night for the pr
Mia Prasetya
Heartbreaking, yet uplifting. Kesan yang saya dapat dari buku ini. Sejak pertama kali melihat buku ini di toko buku, I know I'm gonna love this book.

Berkisan tentang Laksmi, gadis kecil dari Nepal berusia 13 tahun yang dijual oleh ayah tirinya sendiri ke rumah bordil. keluguan, kenaifan seorang anak kecil terpampang dengan jelas di buku ini, karena kisah ini dikisahkan dari sudut pandang si Laksmi sendiri.

Buku setebal 310 halaman saya selesaikan dengan semalam karena ternyata isinya cukup ringan
Jennifer Smalley
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If an author is a feminist, does it mean that their writing is automatically regarded as feminist literature? Does nothing but the feminist message radiate from their being? Are they capable of bringing anything less than that into the world? Feminist writers write feminist writings. But it is not always the cut and dry “How To Be A Feminist Handbook 101” type of book. No, sometimes it can touch on problems like sex trafficking and involve a female character’s near constant abuse, as seen in the ...more
Angie
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sophie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Haunting and devastating.
Donna
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is realistic fiction for Young Adults. It was a sad little story about a girl from Nepal, who gets sold to a woman visiting their poor village. This young girl thinks she is going to be a maid in the big city. She and her parents have no idea what really lies in store for this 13 year old girl.

I listened to the audio on this one, so the poetic prose that others either absolutely loved or absolutely hated, didn't affect me. The story had a nice flow. There was some repetition, but for
Akaii
This book was really moving. A very inspirational story of a young and naïve Nepali girl, Laxmi, sold into sexual slavery in India by her step-father. I loved how real it was. It wasn't just romance and drama many books portray nowadays, it actually told a horrible but true story.I loved the contrast between the beautiful voice telling such a horrendous tale. There were many times I was saddened by the beauty of her words, her loss, and the end, that bit of dialogue, had me in tears. Patricia Mc ...more
Linda
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
A devastating book about a 13 year old Nepali girl sold as a sex slave in India. This difficult subject was brought to light in a quick, easy-to-listen-to format. It is not a story I will easily forget.

Source: I borrowed a copy of this audio book from my local library.
Zehen Zohra
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a good book. The events really played with my emotions. While reading I just felt to angry like how can one be so vile and sell a child of to a sex trade. A Laskshimis time in "the happy house" had very dark moments but the author put in little cute moments of her interactions with one of the other girls kids. The whole time I was cheering on be half of Lakshimi to run away or make a escape plan. Over all, this book is recomended to everyone. I would say its one of my top 5 books t ...more
Neeraj Adhikari
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A heart-wrenching tale of freedom and its absence. Sometimes it would be difficult to turn the pages, because I feared what horrors lay in store for Lakshmi. After reading the tale of this one girl having to face such abominable cruelty, I shuddered at the thought of how many such Lakshmis are suffering the same horrors, having been sold into slavery across the border by their own countrymen or family. It's just brutal.

I think this is such a strong tale not only because of what the girls face, b
Jen
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing

This book is one I am mentally saving for my mother/daughter book club. My daughter is four, so I have some time...but it raises interesting topics, themes, and questions, like:

1. Sex, sex-trafficking, rape and victimization of women (no surprise there)

2. Self-respect

3. the legalization/decriminalization of prostitution/sex-work issue

4. globalization with all its dimples and warts

The book written in a poetic form, but I didn't find it distracting. In fact, I think it managed to create a framewo

Christine (KizzieReads)
I read through this very fast. What a poignant story. My heart was broken with all Lakshmi went through. I know this is a work of fiction, but this crap still happens to this day. We even have this stuff happening here in Canada in a city close to us. This stuff should not still be happening. It is horrid and disgusting.
Sarah Swann
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't. The fact that these types of things actually happen is sickening to me. How a family can be willing to trade their daughter for less than $300 is beyond me.
Sumaya
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, movies
"My name is Lakshmi...I am from Nepal. I am thirteen years old."

A beautifully written and heartbreaking story that opens the eyes of readers to the ugly reality that is human trafficking.
Book Review 2 10 Jan 26, 2018 10:14AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Text 1 3 May 10, 2017 08:35PM
  • The Poet Slave of Cuba: A Biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
  • Copper Sun
  • All the Broken Pieces
  • Aleutian Sparrow
  • God Went to Beauty School
  • The First Part Last (Heaven, #2)
  • Ringside, 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial
  • Home of the Brave
  • The Chosen One
  • The Good Braider
  • Chanda's Secrets (Chanda, #1)
  • The Red Pencil
  • Becoming Billie Holiday
  • Touching Snow
  • Crossing Stones
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • Dark Sons
Patricia McCormick is a journalist and writer. She graduated from Rosemont College in 1978, followed by an M.S. from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in 1986 and an M.F.A. from New School University in 1999. Her first novel for teens was Cut, about a young woman who self-injures herself. This was followed by My Brother's Keeper in 2005, about a boy struggling with his brother's ad ...more
More about Patricia McCormick
“Simply to endure is to triumph.” 101 likes
“If you look hard enough, chaos turns into order the way letters turn into words.” 71 likes