College Students! discussion

Reading Goals/ Challenges > Fall '10/Winter '11 Challenge: Official Task List (And Rules)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Aug 29, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Rules for the Fall/Winter Task Challenge:

1. This challenge will start September 7th 2010 (12:01 am EST) and will end at 11:59 pm on February 22nd 2011.
2. All books read during the challenge dates (Sept. 7- February 22nd) can count towards tasks. So, if you join in October, anything you read that FITS a task can count towards the challenge as long as you read it AFTER September 7th. If you are less than half way through a book BEFORE the challenge starts, you can use it for the challenge. If you are over the halfway point, you cannot use it for the challenge.
3. Books can only be used for one category. You can only do a task one time.
4. Re-reads are fine, except where stated otherwise.
5. All books should be over 150 pages unless otherwise stated. If you read a book that is not quite 150 pages, please make sure that it for a lower point task and you are only able to read an "under 150 pages book" once.
6. To claim your points, you must post completed tasks in the "Leaderboard & Completed Tasks" thread. Please include the title, author, the task it was for, and your total number of points to date.
7. If you have any doubts as to whether a book fits a particular challenge, please feel free to ask.
8. Above all, remember this challenge is supposed to be FUN, a good way to tackle some of your TBR list, and to expand your horizons.
9. Those who finish the challenge will be able to pick a category for the Spring/Summer challenge.

Also, feel free to post your task lists here to keep track of them for your own personal reference or to see what others are reading for a particular task. Points cannot be claimed in this thread. I will NOT be checking it for updates to your points. This is a change from the way we did in all past challenges except this past one.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Official Task List: (Please remember that the 20 point task(s) for the winner of the Spring/Summer challenge has not been added yet. I will alert you to when it is.)

5 points:

1. Everything Comes to Him Who Waits : Read a book you have been patiently waiting to be released OR a book that you have patiently waited to borrow or buy OR a book that you have been too busy to read.

2. Just Like Us: Read a fiction/non-fiction book where a college student (or somebody who is of the age of a typical college kid) is the main character.

3. College Students Blog: In honor of the launch of the College Students blog (The Broke and the Bookish), read a book that was reviewed or listed in a top ten list. You can find a master list of review on the top right hand side.

4. Picture Perfect: Read a book that has a fall/winter scene or something that reminds you of fall/winter (snowflake, sled, Santa, elf, mistletoe, candycane, pumpkins, turkey, leaves, etc.)

5. Spooky Reads: Read a scary (to you) book! It could be a horror, true crime, or a thriller. I understand some people are more scared by things than others. If this is a big problem for you, please talk to me and we can figure something out that won't keep you up at night.

6. Disney Days: In honor of Walt Disney's birthday (December 5), read a book that is related to a Disney movie, was inspired by a Disney movie, or inspired a Disney movie.

7. Hats Off to You: National Hat Day is a bizarre holiday celebrated on January 15. In honor of this holiday, read a book with a hat on the cover.
8. Not so Valentine's Day : Instead of reading a traditional "lovey dovey" romance story, as we've already done that last Winter challenge, let's read a book about unrequited love, a romance gone bad, or a main character who is navigating the dating world! This one is pretty wide open so have fun with it!

10 Points:

1. Head And Shoulders Knees & Toes : Read a book that has a cover that has only a body part rather than a whole or half of a person—like a face, or a foot, or hands.

2. Life Changes : Fall brings many changes as kids are going to school for the first time and some are moving out and becoming college students! Read a book where a character experiences a major life change (moving, a death of someone close, marriage, etc.)

3. A Chain is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link: Pick an author that you've already read before this challenge. Look through their books on Goodreads that they have written. Look at the ratings and find the one with the lowest rating and read it. Do you think it really is the author's "weakest" book? How does it add to their canon of work?

4. National Diversity Day (October 1) : This holiday is all about celebrating and embrace who we are, despite our differences, no matter what race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, nationality, or disability. Read a book written from the perspective of someone from a different socio-economic status (poverty, upper class ect.) or sexual orientation than you. (I'm only including these two because we have done a lot about different nationalities, religions, and genders.)

5. Ask a Stupid Question Day: In honor of all those teachers who will be telling their students this semester that there is no such thing as a stupid question, read a book with a question in the title.

6. Mexican Independence Day (Sept. 16) : Read a book that is either primarily set in Mexico, features a main character who is Mexican, or a book written by a Mexican author.

7. Stand Up For Your Rights : Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday is January 18. Read a fiction/non-fiction book about someone who makes a strong stand for what they believe in.

8. Geography Awareness Week (14-20): Use this spinning globe to get lat/longitude coordinates. http://ptocheia.net/globe/ Read a book taking place in the geographic region you landed on. If you get the ocean, pick again!

15 points:

1. Give Credit Where Credit is Due: For this challenge you will be reading 2 books. Read a book that another author praised or reviewed (you know, those blurbs another author gives on the cover of a book) and then read a book by that author. So, let's say I want to read The Time Traveler's Wife. Jodi Picoult wrote a blurb of the book..so I could read any book by Jodi Picoult.

2. Familiarity Breeds Contempt : Read a genre that you rarely read.

3. Dead Men Tell No Tales : Read a book published after the author's death or a book where the main character has passed away (The Lovely Bones) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

4. Order in the Court : With all the important court cases happening around us (California and prop 8 reversal, Kagan being confirmed into the Supreme Court, etc.) read a fiction/non-fiction book about a case, or has some sort of legal case throughout it.

5. Ancient History : Read a book that is primarily set anywhere between 3500 BC - AD 476.

6. World AIDS Awareness Day (December 1): Read a fiction/non-fiction book about someone with HIV/AIDS or where the issue is a big part of the book, a book about AIDS research, or a book set in a country that is plagued by the AIDS epidemic.

7. National Roof Over Your Head Day (December 3): Read a book about a person or a dog/cat who is homeless or was once homeless or a book about an orphan/child in foster care.

8. Black Tuesday : The New York Stock Exchange crashed on what came to be known as "Black Tuesday" on October 29, 1929 which started the Great Depression: Read a book that takes place during the Great Depression or written by an author during the Great Depression.

20 Points: (Tasks will be added after Spring/Summer challenge ends)

1. Group Read : Read a past group read OR a group read that happens during one of the months of this challenge AND post to the discussion thread what you thought about the book.

2. Spring/Summer Challenge Winner's Task (Jess): Read a book that has a one word title.

25 points

1. Thanksgiving Time : Let's celebrate the feast between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Read a fiction/non-fiction book about those early settlers (anything before 1700's—could be about Salem witch trials) AND a fiction/nonfiction book about Native American Indians (does not have to be in that time period)

2. Teen Read Week (October 17-23): Read a book that your parents were reading when they were teenagers & read a YA book that teenagers are reading today (written in the last 5 years). If your parents were not readers, find a book that was popular when they were of the teenage years. I will post direction on how to easily look this up.

3. Back to School: Below you will find your new "school schedule." Find your birth month and see which subject you will be studying first period (these were all picked randomly). Pick a fiction or a non-fiction book related to this subject. THEN pick one of the extracurricular activities you'd like to participate in. I purposely left off English because that would be easy! :)

*January & May: Math (Some ideas of math related things—money, numerology)
*March & August: Science (Chemistry, Biology, Earth Science, etc) Mary Roach books, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,
*November & October: History (historical fiction, non-fiction about historical events)
June & September: Health/Phys. Ed ( cancer, books about sports or athletes, etc.)
December & February- Art (art history, a book about an artist, etc.)
April & July - Music (about a band, singer, song-writer,)

Extracurriculars:
Sports Team- Read a fiction/non-fiction book about a sports team or an athlete.
School Newspaper- Read a fiction/nonfiction book about a journalist.
Student Government- Read a fiction/non-fiction book about someone in a leadership position.
Debate Team: Read a book about a very controversial issue.
Theater: Read a play or a non-fiction book about an actor/actress.
SIFE/Business club: Read a fiction/non-fiction book about the business world.
Religious Clubs- Read a fiction/non-fiction book related to your religion. For example, Christian fiction, a book about your religion, or any non-fiction book like a bible study or a devotional type book.
Band/Any type of singing group- Read a book related to music.

4. Intimidating Reads: On the College Students blog we made a top ten list of our most intimidating reads. Think about a book that really intimidates you for whatever reason (length, time period, genre,etc.) and look that book square in the eye and conquer it! THEN, read a book of your choice to reward yourself for getting through it!

5. I Like Big BOOKS and I Cannot Lie : Read a book that is over 700 pages. Perfect time to get those big books in for the challenge!

6. Books Men and Women Should Read : Read a book off each of the following lists. Do you agree that every woman or man should read that book?

75 books women should read

75 books men should read

7. Backyard Travels : Take the state, county, region you live in. Read a fiction/non-fiction book related to a local historical event and post a sentence or two about what you have learned. For example, I live close to Valley Forge Battlefield. I might read a book about the Revolutionary War which would include the battle at Valley Forge or a book about George Washington whose headquarters were at Valley Forge.

8. A New Year : Read a book related to something you want to do (could be a goal or a resolution) or something big you know you will be doing in the coming year AND read a book related to a big event in your life or a resolution that you worked on this past year. For example, next year you might want to get a new job, lose weight, or travel the world. This past year you might have gotten married or worked on saving money. So you might read a book about a character who is getting married, a travelogue, or a non-fiction book about losing weight.Snow would work but The Road would not.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Aug 27, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

message 4: by Tami (last edited Feb 24, 2011 07:36AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
5 points:

1. Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex 357 pages
2. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis 416 pages
3. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova 909 pages
4. The Cider House Rules by John Irving
5. October Country by Ray Bradbury
6. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson 244 pages
7. The Flirt Club by Cathleen Daly 288 pages
8. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare 485 pages

10 Points:

1. Forever in Her Dreams by Tika Newman 283 pages
2. Flirt Club by Cathleen Daly 288 pages
3. Quidditch Through the Ages 3.47
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling 3.62
Fantastic Beasts and Were to Find Them 3.63
The Sorcerers Stone 384 pages,
The Chamber of Secrets 341 pages,
The Prisoner of Azkaban 435 pages,
The Goblet of Fire 734 pages,
The Order of the Pheonix 870 pages,
The Half Blood Prince 652 pages,
The Deathly Hallows 759 pages
4. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
5. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick
6. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel 245 pages
7. The Help by Kathryn Stockett 451 pages
8. Naked Heat by Richard Castle 290 pages

15 points:

2. Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke 192 pages
3. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
4. Heat Wave by Richard Castle 198 pages
6. The Officer's Club by Ralph Peters 304 pages
7. Bound by Antonya Nelson 224 pages
8. Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin

20 Points:

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett 464 pages
2. Atonement by Ian McEwan 351 pages

25 points

1. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
and The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
2. On the Road by Jack Kerouac 416 pages
and Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare 479 pages
3. Sept: Health/Phys. Ed An Irish Country Courtship by Patrick Taylor 464 pages
and Friendship Bread by Darien Gee 400 pages
4. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
and ?
5. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling 759 pages
6. (women) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
and (men) A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor

255 points 2/22/11
11623 pages

message 5: by Jen (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments 5 points

5.1 - Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
5.2 - Charmed Thirds
5.3 - tbd
5.4 - Shiver
5.5 - tbd
5.6 - The Book of Lost Things
5.7 - Wench or The Diplomat's Wife
5.8 - One Day

10 points

10.1 -
10.2 - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
10.3 - That Summer
10.4 - tbd
10.5 - tbd
10.6 - tbd
10.7 - The Help
10.8 - tbd

15 points

15.1a -
15.1b -
15.2 -
15.3 - Suite Française
15.4 - In Cold Blood
15.5 - The Red Tent or Nobody's Princess
15.6 - tbd
15.7 - Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir or Have You Found Her
15.8 - The Blind Assassin

20 points

20.1 - Group Read
20.2 - Speak

25 points

25.1a - tbd
25.1b - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
25.2a - Forever
25.2b - Twenty Boy Summer*
25.3a - (music) This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession
25.3b - tbd
25.4 -
25.5 -
25.6a - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
25.6b - The Grapes of Wrath or Slaughterhouse-Five
25.7 -
25.8a -
25.8b -

Total Points: 45

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I really liked using the spreadsheet last time so I tried making my own instead of re-using Jamies...I think I did pretty well
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...

message 7: by Daisy (last edited Aug 18, 2010 12:39PM) (new)

message 8: by Allison *bookishinmpls* (last edited Aug 20, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

Allison *bookishinmpls* Bailey (bookishinmpls) Allison's List

5.1 Mockingjay
5.2 Lucky
5.3 The Help
5.4 Shiver
5.5 TBD
5.6 Beastly
5.7 The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
5.8 Love in the Time of Cholera

10.1 TBD
10.2 Reaching Out
10.3 TBD
10.4 My Invented Life
10.5 Remember Me?
10.6 Like Water for Chocolate
10.7 TBD
10.8 33.9, 106.2 --> China, so Shanghai Girls

15.1 TBD
15.2 TBD
15.3 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
15.4 TBD
15.5 TBD
15.6 TBD
15.7 TBD
15.8 TBD

20.1 TBD

25.1 The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
25.2 TBD
25.3 TBD
25.4 TBD
25.5 TBD
25.6 Beloved and Lolita
25.7 TBD
25.8 TBD

message 9: by Alicia (last edited Feb 07, 2011 05:00AM) (new)

Alicia (amazingact21) Alicia's Task List

5 points

5.1 The Hunger Games
5.2 College Girl
5.3 The Truth about Forever
5.4 TBD
5.5 Pet Sematary
5.6 The Sea of Monsters
5.7 TBD
5.8 TBD

10 points

10.1 TBD
10.2 Montana Sky
10.3 TBD
10.4 Push
10.5 TBD
10.6 TBD
10.7 TBD
10.8 TBD

15 points

15.1 TBD
15.2 And Eternity
15.3 TBD
15.4 TBD
15.5 TBD
15.6 TBD
15.7 TBD
15.8 TBD

20 points

20.1 Life of Pi
20.2 Mockingjay

25 points

25.1 TBD & TBD
25.2 TBD & TBD
25.3 TBD & TBD
25.4 TBD & TBD
25.5 TBD
25.6 The Bell Jar & TBD
25.7 TBD
25.8 TBD & TBD

40 points

message 12: by abbey sophia (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:42PM) (new)

abbey sophia (abbeysophia) | 55 comments 5.1 The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
5.2 Dead Until Dark
5.3 The Other Boleyn Girl
5.4 TBD
5.5 Fast Food Nation
5.6 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
5.7 Angela’s Ashes
5.8 Beginner’s Greek

10.1 American Wife
10.2 The Pilot’s Wife
10.3 Northanger Abbey
10.4 Nickel and Dimed
10.5 TBD
10.6 Like Water for Chocolate
10.7 The Abstinence Teacher
10.8 Notes on a Scandal

15.1 Geek Love & TBD (written by Palahniuk)
15.2 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
15.3 Persuasion
15.4 TBD
15.5 TBD
15.6 The Poisonwood Bible
15.7 TBD
15.8 The Grapes of Wrath

20.1 The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Count of Monte Cristo, Life of Pi, or Dracula

25.1 Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee & TBD
25.2 TBD & TBD
25.3 Stiff & Company
25.4 TBD & Fried Green Tomatoes
25.5 Roots
25.6 Wuthering Heights & The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Revolutionary Road, or Native Son
25.7 TBD
25.8 Omnivore’s Dilemma & The Dance of Anger

message 14: by Kelly A. (last edited Oct 20, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Gave up trying to keep my list on here updated, reverting to a spreadsheet. So much easier!

message 16: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I'm going to try a spreadsheet:

There will eventually be other challenges, as well, but on different sheets.

message 18: by Kelly (last edited Nov 10, 2013 03:23PM) (new)

Kelly | 250 comments Fall/Winter Challenge (9/7/10-2/22/11) - Finished in Fourth place - Total Points: 270/480; Books Finished: 26/41; Tasks Completed: 21/34:

*Kelly R.

5-1. Rising Tides by Nora Roberts
5-2. Didn't read a book for this task
5-3. Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich
5-4. A Breath of Snow & Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
5-5. Didn't read a book for this task
5-6. ArchEnemy by Frank Beddor
5-7. Didn't read a book for this task
5-8. Cross My Heart & Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
10-1. Heist Society by Ally Carter
10-2. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
10-3. Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs; POSTed
10-4. Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
10-5. I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee
10-6. Didn't read a book for this task
10-7. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
10-8. Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs
15-1. Didn't read a book for this task
15-1. The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon
15-2. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
15-3. Didn't read a book for this task
15-4. Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs
15-5. Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
15-6. Didn't read a book for this task
15-7. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling
15-8. Didn't read a book for this task
20-1. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins; POSTed
20-2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
25-1. The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent; The Antelope Wife by Louise Erdrich
25-2. Didn't read a book for this task;
25-2. I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
25-3. Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs; Our Town by Thornton Wilder
25-4. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad; Inner Harbor by Nora Roberts
25-5. An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
25-6. Didn't read a book for this task
25-7. Didn't read a book for this task
25-8. Didn't read a book for this task

message 19: by Kelly (last edited Aug 19, 2010 10:42PM) (new)

message 21: by Jess (last edited Sep 09, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Jess 5 Points

1. Patiently waiting: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
2. College student: TBD
3. On Broke and Bookish Top Ten: Gone With the Wind
4. Fall/winter scene: Virgin in the Ice: The Sixth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael
5. Spooky book: Pretty Little Things
6. Disney revival: Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
7. Hat read: The Frozen Rabbi
8. Non-traditional romance: TBD

10 Points

1. Body part: The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
2. Life changes: TBD
3. Weakest link: The Last Days of Dogtown: A Novel
4. Different socioeconomic status or sexual orientation: TBD
5. Question in title: TBD
6. Mexico: Como agua para chocolate
7. Stand up for your rights: TBD
8. Geography (China): TBD

15 Points
1. Book that another author praised or reviewed and book by that author: TBD and TBD
2. Rarely read genre: TBD
3. Posthumously published: The Rag and Bone Shop
4. Court case: In Cold Blood
5. Ancient history (3500 BCE-476 CE): TBD
6. HIV/AIDS awareness: Three Junes
7. Homelessness or foster care: TBD
8. Great Depression: Out of the Dust

20 Points
1. Group read (+ post to discussion thread): The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2. Jess' task: TBD

25 Points
1. Book before 1700s America or Native American Indians: TBD
2. YA book from parents' era and YA book from today: TBD
3. Back to school (academic and extracurricular): Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal and TBD
4. Intimidating read and reward read: Al-Qur'an: A Contemporary Translation. and TBD
5. Big book: A Game of Thrones
6. Book women should read and book men should read (+ agree?): A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories and For Whom the Bell Tolls
7. Backyard travels (+ sentence or two about what learned): TBD
8. New resolution and big event or completed resolution from past year: TBD and TBD

message 22: by David (last edited Feb 01, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

David (canadiandave) 5 points:

1. waited: Fablehaven - Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull
2. college aged:
3. The Broke and the Bookish top ten list: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
4. fall/winter: The Time Travelers by Linda Buckley-Archer
5. scary:
6. related to a Disney movie: Peter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave Berry & Ridley Pearson
7. hat on the cover:
8. navigating the dating world: River Secrets by Shannon Hale

10 Points:

1. only a body part:
2. major life change: Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
3. lowest rating:
4. different socio-economic status: Forest Born by Shannon Hale
5. question in the title: Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson
6. Mexico:
7. stand for what they believe in: Starless Night by R.A. Salvatore
8. Hmmm... North Carolina:

15 points:

1.a. Blurb:
1.b. Book:
2. genre that you rarely read:
3. published after the author's death or book where main character is dead: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
4. law:
5. 3500 BC - AD 476:
6. HIV/AIDS:
7. homeless:
8. Great Depression:

20 Points:

1. group read/post:
2. one word title: Superfudge by Judy Blume

25 points

1.a. early settlers:
1.b. Native Americans:
2.a. parents YA: The Princess Bride by William Goldman
2.b. YA today (5 years): The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
3.a. Art:
3.b. Sports Team:
4.a. intimidating read:
4.b. reward read:
5. over 700 pages: Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
6.a. books women should read:
6.b. books men should read:
7. Utah history:
8.a. something you want to do: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Going to London)
8.b. big event in your life: Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (Broken Engagement)

message 23: by Amanda (last edited Sep 16, 2010 05:05AM) (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments Amanda's Task List

So, I'm going to try and fully participate this time, since I will be quitting my job soon, and moving. I'm not too sure of some of my books because I was going by the summaries. I will make changes if the book doesn't fit.

5 Points

5.1 Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
5.2 The Professor's Daughter by Emily Raboteau
5.3 Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
5.4 A Separate Peace by John Knowles

5.5 The Shining by Stephen King
5.6 Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
5.7 The Ha-Ha: A Novel by Dave King
5.8 Chasing Harry Winston by lauren Weisberger

10 Points

10.1 The Giver by Lois Lowry
10.2 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
10.3 Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult
10.4 Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
10.5 Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark
10.6 The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
10.7 Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
10.8 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

15 Points

15.1 TBA
15.2 Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulemia
15.3 Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
15.4 The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
15.5 Pompeii by Robert Harris
15.6 Push by Sapphire
15.7 Smack by Melvin Burgess
15.8 The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

20 Points

20.1 The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
20.2 Speak by Laurie Anderson

25 Points

25.1 Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier AND The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
25.2 One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez AND Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
25.3 Against Medical Advice: A True Story AND The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
25.4 Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock AND Little Children by Tom Perrotta
25.5 Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
25.6 The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera AND The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
25.7 TBA
25.8 TBA

Total Points: 10

message 24: by Tenderine (last edited Sep 19, 2010 11:35PM) (new)

Tenderine | 13 comments 5 points:

1. Everything Comes to Him Who Waits: The Blood of the Lamb
2. Just Like Us
3. College Students Blog: Water for Elephants
4. Picture Perfect
5. Spooky Reads: The Alienist
6. Disney Days
7. Hats Off to You
8. Not so Valentine's Day: The Good Soldier

10 Points:

1. Head And Shoulders Knees & Toes: Invisible Monsters
2. Life Changes
3. A Chain is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link
4. National Diversity Day (October 1): The Privileges: A Novel
5. Ask a Stupid Question Day: When Will There Be Good News?
6. Mexican Independence Day (Sept. 16): Like Water for Chocolate
7. Stand Up For Your Rights
8. Geography Awareness Week (14-20): A Passage to India

15 points:

1. Give Credit Where Credit is Due
2. Familiarity Breeds Contempt
3. Dead Men Tell No Tales: A Moveable Feast or Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl or Amerika
4. Order in the Court: In Cold Blood
5. Ancient History
6. World AIDS Awareness Day (December 1)
7. National Roof Over Your Head Day (December 3): Down and Out in Paris and London
8. Black Tuesday: Miss Lonelyhearts

20 Points:

1. Group Read: Middlesex
2. Spring/Summer Challenge Winner's Task (Jess)

25 points

1. Thanksgiving Time
2. Teen Read Week (October 17-23)
3. Back to School
4. Intimidating Reads: The Seducer: A Novel and TBD
5. I Like Big BOOKS and I Cannot Lie
6. Books Men and Women Should Read: I Capture the Castle and Sophie's Choice
7. Backyard Travels
8. A New Year

message 25: by Ashley (last edited Feb 03, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) 5.1 Everything Comes to Him Who Waits : Of Love and Other Demons
5.2 College Student: TBD
5.3. College Students Blog: The Help
5.4. Picture Perfect: City of Thieves
5.5. Spooky Reads: The Eyes of the Dragon
5.6. Disney Days: Bridge to Terabithia
5.7. Hats Off to You: TBA
5.8. Not so Valentine's Day : The Summer Fletcher Greel Loved Me: A Novel

10.1. Head And Shoulders Knees & Toes : Mistress of Pleasure
10.2. Life Changes : The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific
10.3. A Chain is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link: A Hollywood Ending OR The Caged Virgin: An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam OR Sleep, Pale Sister
10.4. National Diversity Day (October 1) : Force of Nature (gay romance)
10.5. Ask a Stupid Question Day: TBD
10.6. Mexican Independence Day (Sept. 16) : The Tortilla Curtain
10.7. Stand Up For Your Rights : The Giver
10.8. Geography Awareness Week (14-20): After about a million crash landings in water, I ended up in just off the coast of Tanzania, which is near Rwanda… We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families: Stories from Rwanda

15.1. Give Credit Where Credit is Due: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan AND Memoirs of a Geisha. (Arthur Golden said that Snow Flower was, "An engrossing and completley convincing portrayal of a woman shaped by suppering forced upon her from her earliest years, and of the friendship that helps her to survive."
15.2. Familiarity Breeds Contempt : The Dawn Patrol (mystery)
15.3. Dead Men Tell No Tales: Suite Française
15.4. Order in the Court : To Kill a Mockingbird
15.5. Ancient History : The Odyssey
15.6. World AIDS Awareness Day (December 1):Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir
15.7. National Roof Over Your Head Day (December 3): The Secret Garden
15.8. Black Tuesday : TBD

20.1. Group Read : Persuasion
20.2. Spring/Summer Challenge Winner's Task (Jess): Dubliners

25.1. Thanksgiving Time : The Winthrop Woman ORThe Heretic's Daughter AND Black Hawk: An Autobiography
25.2. Teen Read Week (October 17-23): TBD
25.3. Back to School:
August: Science – Breathing Space: How Allergies Shape Our Lives and Landscapes
Debate Team: The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness
25.4. Intimidating Reads: The Communist Manifesto AND Entirely Yours
25.5. I Like Big BOOKS and I Cannot Lie : Vanity Fair
25.6. Books Men and Women Should Read :
75 books women should read - Frankenstein
75 books men should read – Heart of Darkness
25.7. Backyard Travels : Rads: The 1970 Bombing of the Army Math Research Center at the University of Wisconsin and Its Aftermath
25.8. A New Year :
Goal for Future – Travel – Wall to Wall: From Beijing to Berlin by Rail
Big event for last year – landing a solid internship (which will hopefully be a job!) The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich

message 26: by R (last edited Jan 17, 2011 05:04AM) (new)

R (feste) 5 points
2. Decline and Fall, by Evelyn Waugh
7. The Prestige, by Christopher Priest

10 points
1. Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor
4. The Grotesque, by Patrick McGrath
5. Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?, by Raymond Carver
6. The Power and the Glory, by Graham Greene
7. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, by Alan Sillitoe
8. Uzbekistan

15 points
1a. Piano Stories, by Felisberto Hernandez
1b. If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino
2. Watching the English, by Kate Fox (Anthropology)
3. The Third Policeman, by Flann O'Brien
4. Monkey Girl, by Edward Hume
8. As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner

20 points
2. Pastoralia, by George Saunders

25 points
3a. The Invisible Orchard, by Jonathan Silvertown (Science)
3b. The Battle for God, by Karen Armstrong (Religion)
5. The Man Without Qualities, by Robert Musil
8a. Behind the Red Mist, by Ho Anh Thai (went to Vietnam)
8b. Counting Sheep, by Paul Martin (want to get more sleep!)

message 27: by Bianca (last edited Dec 07, 2010 08:25AM) (new)

Bianca (sugardustedbooks) 5 points
1.Misguided Angel by Melissa de la Cruz
2. Lucky by Alice Sebold
3. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
4.The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
5.Want As Killer by Ann Rule
6.Beastly by Alex Flinn finished 9/14/2010
7. TBA
8. The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulbe
10 points
1.The Host by Stephanie Meyer
2.Amy and Rogers Epic Detour
3.Cats Meow by Melissa de la Cruz
4.Push by Sapphire
5. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
6. Like Water For Chocolate by Lara Esquivel 7. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
8. Under a Red Sky: Memoir of a Childhood in Communist Romania

15 points
1.TBA
2.Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carol
3. Uninvited by Amanda Marrone
4.The Pact by Jodi Picoult
5. Nobody’s Princess by Esther Friesner
6. It Happened to Nancy
7. Forgotten: Seventeen and Homeless by Melody Carlson
8. TBA

20 points
1. TBA
2. Classic by Cecily Von Zeigesar

25 points
1. TBA
2. Forever by Judy Blume and Fallen by Lauren Kate
3. TBA
4. TBA
5. Wuthering Heights and TBA
6. Anna Karenina
7. TBA
8. TBA

Total Points 100
Tasks Completed 9
Books Read 10

message 28: by Emily (last edited Jan 21, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Emily | 62 comments 5 Points

1. Patiently waiting: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
2. College student: Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
3. On Broke and Bookish Top Ten: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
4. Fall/winter scene: The Cider House Rules by John Irving
5. Spooky book: The Shining by Stephen King
6. Disney revival: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
7. Hat read: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
8. Non-traditional romance: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

10 Points

1. Body part: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
2. Life changes: Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
3. Weakest link: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
4. Different socioeconomic status or sexual orientation: Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
5. Question in title: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
6. Mexico: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
7. Stand up for your rights: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
8. Geography (Africa): Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe

15 Points
1. Book that another author praised or reviewed and book by that author: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
2. Rarely read genre: The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain (crime novel)
3. Posthumously published: Billy Budd by Herman Melville
4. Court case: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
5. Ancient history (3500 BCE-476 CE): Aesop's Fables by Aeosopus
6. HIV/AIDS awareness: Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and The New War on the Poor by Paul Farmer
7. Homelessness or foster care: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
8. Great Depression: Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin

20 Points
1. Group read (+ post to discussion thread): House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
2. Jess' task: Unless by Carol Shields

25 Points
1. Book before 1700s America AND Native American Indians: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra AND The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
2. YA book from parents' era and YA book from today: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. Back to school (academic and extracurricular): God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (January, money) and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Religious club)
4. Intimidating read and reward read: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
5. Big book: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
6. Book women should read and book men should read (+ agree?): The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton and Rabbit, Run by John Updike
7. Backyard travels (+ sentence or two about what learned): The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
8. New resolution or big event AND completed resolution from past year: A Life Inspired: Tales of Peace Corps Service and French Women Don’t Get Fat by Mireille Guilliano

Tasks Completed: 15
Books read: 20
Total Points: 200

message 29: by Rachel (new)

message 30: by Melissa (last edited Jan 06, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

Melissa | 279 comments 5.1 Shadowfever 1-18-2011
5.2 Magic Bites
5.3 Neverwhere
5.4 Winter of the Heart E.G. Parsons
5.5 Nocturnes
5.6 Fairy Godmother
5.7 Sherlock Holmes

10.1 The Host
10.2 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
10.3 Coraline(book is 160 pages) Average rating 3.9 rest of his books 4 or above.
10.5 Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
10.6 Esperanza Rising
10.7 Wicked
10.8 The Forgotten Garden- Australia

15.1 The Help(reread)/Viola in Reel Life-(Adriana Trigiani wrote the review)
15.2 The Lost Symbol- mystery
15.3 Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
15.4 The Reader
15.6 At Risk- Alice Hoffman

20.1 The Book Thief
20.2 Persuasion

25.1 The Scarlet Letter/ The Last of the Mohicans
25.2 Watership Down- 1975/ Hunger Games- 2008
25.3 December- Art-Girl with a Pearl Earring / Extracurricular -Theater- Taming of the Schrew
25.4 The Gargoyle/The Last Olympian
25.5 Anna Karenina
25.6 Women- Pride and Prejudice/ Men- Call of the Wild

message 31: by Megan (last edited Nov 11, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Megan (megebutler) | 9 comments 5 points:

1. Everything Comes to Him Who Waits : Mockingjay

2. Just Like Us: Read a fiction/non-fiction book where a college student (or somebody who is of the age of a typical college kid) is the main character.

3. College Students Blog: Anna Karenina

4. Picture Perfect: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

5. Spooky Reads: The Target

6. Disney Days: Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

7. Hats Off to You: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

8. Not So valentine's Day: Love in the time of Cholera

10 Points:

1. Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes: The Uglies

2. Life Changes :TBA

3. A Chain is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link: TBA

4. National Diversity Day (October 1) :TBA

5. Ask a Stupid Question Day: TBA

6. Mexican Independence Day (Sept. 16) :TBA

7. Stand Up For your Rights: The Help

8. Geography Awareness: Sarah's Key

15 points:

1. Give Credit where Credit is Due: "I Capture the Castle," "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

2.Familiarity breeds contempt: Nonfiction -- My Life in France by Julia Child

3. Dead Men Tell no Tales: Suite Francaise

4. Order in the Court : TBA

5. Ancient History: Helen of Troy

6. World AIDS Awareness Day (December 1): TBA

7. National Roof Over Your Head Day (December 3): TBA.

8. Black Tuesday : TBA

20 Points: (Tasks will be added after Spring/Summer challenge ends)

1. Group Read : TBA

2.One word title: Emma

25 points

1. Thanksgiving: The Witch of Blackbird Pond

2. Teen Read Week: Dr. Zhivago (my mom); The Luxe (current)

3. Back to School: September = TBA (health/phys ed). Religion extracurricular: "Same Kind of Different As Me"

4. Intimidating Reads and Book of choice: War and Peace; I remember You

5. I Like Big BOOKS and I Cannot Lie : Middlemarch

6.Women and Men books: Pride and Prejudice, For Whom the Bell Tolls

7. Backyard Travels: TBA

8.A New Year: Traveling with Pomegranates

message 32: by Jules (last edited Feb 24, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

Jules (randomisedhabit) | 123 comments 220 points

5.1 Jane's Fame
5.2 Tom Brown at Oxford
5.3 The Happy Prince and Other Stories
5.4 Blood and Chocolate
5.5 The Castle of Otranto
5.6 The Once and Future King
5.7 Tortilla Flat
5.8 Bridget Jones's Diary

10.1 TBA
10.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
10.3 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10.4 Maurice
10.5 TBA
10.6 TBA
10.7 Catching Fire
10.8 Siberia: Otchum

15.1-1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
15.1-2 TBA
15.2 Jane Austen's Letters
15.3 Das Ende der Geduld
15.4 A Study in Scarlet
15.5 Masters of Rome
15.6 What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day or The Hours
15.7 Down and Out in Paris and London
15.8 Tender Is the Night

20.1 Mockingjay
20.2 Momo

25.1-1 The Crucible
25.1-2 TBA
25.2-1 Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales
25.2-2 The Hunger Games
25.3-1 January: Up in the Air
25.3-2 Extracurriculars: Theatre - Electra
25.4-1 Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
25.4-2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
25.5 Le Morte d'Arthur
25.6-1 The Portable Dorothy Parker
25.6-2 The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
25.7 Berlin: Aufstieg einer Kulturmetropole um 1810
25.8-1 this year - move to a different country: TBA
25.8-2 past year - take on more responsibility for myself: The Picture of Dorian Gray

message 33: by Emily (last edited Sep 25, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Emily (emikay) | 5 comments Emily's Goal List for Fall/Winter 2010-2011 :

5.1 As You Wish by Jackson Pearce
5.2 Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund
5.3 Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
5.4 Elsewhere by Gabriella Zevin
5.5 Unwind by Neal Shusterman
5.6 The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy
5.7 Hats Off TBD
5.8 Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

10.1 Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
10.2 Life Changes TBD
10.3 Weakest Book TBD
10.4 Diversity Day TBD
10.5 Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
10.6 Jalamanta: A Message from the Desert by Rudolfo Anaya
10.7 Make a Stand TBD
10.8 Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffennegger

15.1 Read a book and a book by a reviewer TBD
15.2 Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
15.3 A Book Published After Author’s Death TBD
15.4 A Book About a Legal Case TBD
15.5 Read a Book Set Before AD 476 TBD
15.6 Read a Book About AIDS TBD
15.7 Orphan/Homeless TBD
15.8 Great Depression TBD

20.1 Persuasion by Jane Austen
20.2 Feed by M.T. Anderson

25.1 Book About Pilgrams and Book About Indians TBD
25.2 Parent YA and modern YA TBD
25.3.1 The Wise Men : Six Friends and the World They Made by Walter Isaacson and Evan Thomas (History)
25.3.2 The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
25.4 Intimidating Read TBD
25.5 The Children's War by J.N. Stroyar
25.6 Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
25.7 Backyard Travels TBD
25.8 Resolutions TBD

message 34: by Emily (last edited Oct 17, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Here's my list. I'm doing this using only books written by women, and I'm going to try to do it using mostly books that are already on my TBR list. We'll see how that goes.

5 points

10 points
2. The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard
4. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel

15 points
2. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
8. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

20 points
1. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
2. Room by Emma Donoghue

25 points
3. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin
4. The Children’s Book by A.S. Byatt. Cassandra Rising by Alice Laurence.
6. My Antonia by Willa Cather. A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor

message 35: by Tahleen (last edited Jan 08, 2011 05:15AM) (new)

Tahleen Tahleen's list

5 points
3. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
4. A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck
7. Montmorency: Thief Liar Gentleman? by Eleanor Updale
8. Feed by M.T. Anderson

10 points
1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
2. The God Box by Alex Sanchez
4. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
6. Tortilla Sun by Jennifer Cervantes

15 points
2. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
3. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

20 points
1. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
2. Forever... by Judy Blume

25 points
1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie and ?
2. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness and ?

Total points: 135
Books read: 14