Start by marking “Amerika” as Want to Read:
Amerika

Amerika

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  19,035 Ratings  ·  745 Reviews
Kafka’s first and funniest novel, Amerika tells the story of the young immigrant Karl Rossmann who, after an embarrassing sexual misadventure, finds himself “packed off to America” by his parents. Expected to redeem himself in this magical land of opportunity, young Karl is swept up instead in a whirlwind of dizzying reversals, strange escapades, and picaresque adventures. ...more
Published July 2nd 1996 by Schocken (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Amerika, please sign up.
Anthony Scioscia In the fragments section of the book, when Karl is interviewing with the Theatre of Oklahoma, he goes by the name "negro." I believe it's fair to…moreIn the fragments section of the book, when Karl is interviewing with the Theatre of Oklahoma, he goes by the name "negro." I believe it's fair to assume Karl is caucasian even though Kafka doesn't explicitly say it. So considering the racial climate of the United States at the time the book was written and Karl's ignorance for being a white man and going by the name "negro" is funny in an unfortunate way (less)

Fernando
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jorge Luis Borges afirmaba que los personajes de Kafka eran “Profesionales de la derrota.” En cierto modo, podemos asegurar eso cuando encuadramos a tres personajes tan particulares como K. de "El Castillo", Joseph K. de "El Proceso" y Karl Rossman, protagonista de "América" en ese rótulo, todo confirma que este genio nunca se equivocaba y en cierta medida, los podemos ver como personajes alter ego con características autobiográficas del mismo Kafka.
Pero hay algo esperanzador en América que no
Violet wells
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Often I opt to know as little as possible about the novels I read before starting them which includes not reading the back cover synopsis. So I didn’t know this was an unfinished novel when I started. I hadn’t read any Kafka since my teens when I can’t say he was ever a favourite of mine. My feeling about him was further sullied after reading his letters to Milena, a girl he neurotically and rather cruelly strung along who eventually was to die in the Nazi death camps. Those letters are fascinat ...more
Vit Babenco
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka just watches, he doesn’t comment…
As the seventeen-year-old Karl Rossmann, who had been sent to America by his unfortunate parents because a maid had seduced him and had a child by him, sailed slowly into New York harbour, he suddenly saw the Statue of Liberty, which had already been in view for some time, as though in an intenser sunlight. The sword in her hand seemed only just to have been raised aloft, and the unchained winds blew about her form.

And Karl Rossmann encounters many a
Agir(آگِر)
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
جایی که حسن نیت در کار نباشد، محال است بتوانی از خودت دفاع کنی
description

بنظرم آمریکا را می توان چکامه شادی کافکا نامید، آنهم در تقابل با کارهایی مثل مسخ و محاکمه و قصر که فضای پیچیده و تاریکی دارند. اما در این اثر، با همهی دردسرهایی که برای شخصیت اول داستان پیش می آید، میتوان روزنه امید و بهروزی را هم حس کرد... در صحنه هایی چنان هیجانی بود که ریتم "مرگ قسطی" سلین برام تداعی میشد؛ مخمصه پشت مخمصه و نفس گیر

حیف و هزار حسرت که کافکا این کتاب را هم به پایان نرساند...
Ahmad Sharabiani
688. Der Verschollene = Amerika = The Man Who Disappeared = The Missing Person = Lost in America, Franz Kafka
Amerika, also known as The Man Who Disappeared, The Missing Person and as Lost in America (German: Der Verschollene), is the incomplete first novel of author Franz Kafka (1883–1924), written between 1911 and 1914 and published posthumously in 1927.
آمریکا - فرانتس کافکا (هاشمی، ماهی) ادبیات
عنوان: امریکا: مفقودالاثر، نویسنده: فرانتس کافکا؛ علی اصغر حداد؛ تهران، ماهی، 1390؛ در 299 ص؛ چاپ دو
Franco  Santos
3.5

Esta es la quinta obra de Kafka que leo (aunque es mi primera novela). Me gustó mucho. Se me hizo bastante pesada en algunas partes, pero la historia me parece brillante; una muestra más de la agudeza de este hombre con baja autoestima.

Son varios los temas que desfilan en este libro. Los siguientes son los que más destacan, en mi opinión:

▪ Kafka juega con sutiliza con los matices sociales, los títulos que nos damos por lo que empleamos y la significación relativa que nos otorgamos como una es
Nandakishore Varma
I loved this first novel by Kafka, much more sunny and easier to read than his others (even though the chapter on Brunelda is pretty frightening). This is incomplete - but does not matter much as Kafka's stories are dreamlike and disjointed anyway.

Kafka never visited America. I was thinking today that whatever is happening in America nowadays is much weirder and more surreal than any of his novels.
Nicholas Karpuk
I had difficulties not feeling like a tool while reading Kafka at work on my breaks. A guy with a beard and thick rimmed glasses read Amerika, just makes me feel like a parody of myself.

Kafka is one of those authors young men latch on to in high school or college and inevitably talk way too much about. I can definitely see the appeal with the themes of alienation and a system that works against the well-meaning individual. But there's something I realized while reading this book:

Kafka would have
Tijana
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reprize
Ne znam, možda da napravim policu "knjige koje me nisu ubile, a baš su se potrudile"?
Ne radi se o tome da Kafka nije dobar, naprotiv, previše je dobar u onome što pokušava, a to je da vas (mene) natera da se grčite od transfera blama, da vas (mene) glavom nadole uroni u depresivnu epizodu, da ubije životnu radost u vama (meni). Da, znam da je on sam smatrao kako je zapravo humorista. Dobro, važi. Da, jeste pisac neverovatno bizarne mašte, zapletenih tokova misli, upečatljivo groznih paklenih viz
Edward
Cover of the first edition of 'Der Heizer' ('The Stoker')
Publisher's Note
Translator's Preface & Notes

--Amerika: The Missing Person

Fragments:
Brunelda's Departure
At a street corner Karl saw ...
They traveled for two days ...

Acknowledgments
Chronology
Bibliography
A Note on the Type
Vipassana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over a year ago but decided against reading it once I realised that it was 'unfinished' and I didn't want that for my first Kafka. In retrospect it seems so foolish, but I cannot deny the fact that I'm glad I hadn't read it then because I wasn't filled with the sufficient amount of despair towards the life I lead, to throughly feel this book, to find closure in it's incompleteness.

One is easily horrified by the rare and exceptional abominations of the world, but not by everyda
Michela
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! My "first" Kafka....
Lobstergirl
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marco Rubio
Shelves: covers, own, fiction

Well my friend Chak says to run from this book - she recommends it for "angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch" - which doesn't describe me - I like to think I am worth the trouble to punch. But I saw it in the store with this adorable Edward Gorey cover (totally uncredited) and knew it would be mine all mine. It smells like an old mausoleum but that's what I get for buying a book from the Eisenhower era.

-----

Wow. Weird, weird, weird. I liked the first third of Amerika quite
Chak
Sep 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch
Recommended to Chak by: my husband... THANKS!
Shelves: fiction
Life is too short. Don't walk - RUN - away from this book. Masochist that I am, I got more than two-thirds through the book and finally could not stand it anymore. Amerika is about this 16 year old boy named Karl who gets exiled to America by his German parents after impregnating a household servant. Just as he was bewildered and passive during the aforementioned fornication (the maid overtly seduced him), Karl remained so for the rest of the book (at least what I read). Repeatedly, and without ...more
Reckoner
'' Ειναι δυσκολο να υπερασπισεις τον εαυτο σου οταν δεν υπαρχει καλη θεληση'' μονολογει ο νεαρος και απειρος Καρλ Ροσμαν οταν θα συνειδητοποιησει οτι ο κοσμος ειναι αδικος και σκληρος. Ωστοσο γεματος νεανικη ορμη και ησυχη συνειδηση δε μοιαζει να απογοητευεται απο τις δυσκολιες που προβαλλουν στον δρομο του. Διαφορα μικρα περιστατικα θα τον στιγματισουν απο τη στιγμη που θα φτασει στην Αμερικη συναντωντας καθε λογης ανθρωπους και με συγκινητικη και αφελη απλοτητα θα φτασει ως την καθαρση αναζητω ...more
Hossein Sharifi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka
ژانر کتاب: رمان کوتاه و ادبیات تمثیلی یا همان الگوری
تمثیل یکی از صور خیال است و یکی از انواع تشبیه به حساب می آید. تمثيل حكايتي است در نثر يا نظم با دو معني : معني نخستين يا معني ظاهري و معني ثانويه . تمثيل يك داستان است در لغتنامه اصطلاحات ادبی کادن اینگونه تعریف شده است که، مي توان الگوری را در دو لايه يا سطح فهميد و خواند و در بعضي موارد حتي تا سه مفهوم را نيز در بردارد. قالب آن مي تواند ادبي يا تصويري باشد یا هر دوي آنها. منشأ تمثيل بسيار قديمي است و از آن براي اشكال گوناگون در بيان استفاد
Roberto
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, slavi

Le avventure di Pinocchio

America è un romanzo incompiuto del 1911 pubblicato postumo nel 1927.

Karl Rossmann è un sedicenne obbediente, serio, diligente che viene mandato in America dai genitori perché accusato di avere messo incinta una cameriera.

Il senso del romanzo inizia già qui. Questa è infatti la prima delle tre occasioni in cui sarà accusato ingiustamente di qualcosa che non ha commesso o di cui non ha colpa e per questo inevitabilmente scacciato. Troviamo qui un lieve parallelismo con il
Cecily
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was originally titled The Man Who Disappeared. The first chapter, The Stoker, was published as a short story and often included in the collection The Metamorphosis (see my review HERE) .

It opens with a description of a city, country and continent Kafka never saw:
"New York looked at Karl with the hundred thousand windows of its skyscrapers."
The ship, too, has windows (of course), but there are more references to them than one might expect in such a few pages.

Karl is only 16 and has been
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
My copy has a Preface written by one Klaus Mann in August 1940. It describes Franz Kafka's life, his very sad life. He had poor health, worked in a gloomy office, never made enough money and with a solitary romance that was "doomed to dreary frustration." He never enjoyed any spectacular success as an author. His works became famous only after he died. Drats.

AMERIKA was supposed to be Kafka's light, funny and optimistic novel. It tells the story of Karl Rossman, a poor boy of sixteen who had bee
Lorenzo Berardi
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
This novel is completely different from all the others Kafka's works. I mean, it's not kafkaesque, it's picaresque. Amerika has something of Dickens and it doesn't seem written by an european novelist.
Kafka has written about the myth of a new world seen like a land of false possibilities where a new Candide, the young Karl, is pushed and pulled away by circumstances.

It's a real pity that this novel is unfinished. I've loved the final and totally independent chapter about The Nature Theatre of O
Rick Slane
I am not sure what is a spoiler and what is not, but before I read this I had a very wrong idea about it. This is the most humorous Kafka work. According to the intro he was doing his version of David Copperfield in a country he never visited but learned about in a biography of Benjamin Franklin. I have not read much James Thurber but that is the similarity that I found.

Chad Post
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple years ago, some trickster posted the first page of David Foster Wallace's INFINITE JEST to a Yahoo group looking for advice about "his" new novel. Not surprisingly, the um, yahoos, didn't recognize the source text and populated the message board with all sorts of terrible advice about the lack of action and the fact that he "knows what to do--just dump it and start over!"

Obviously, this provided a shitton of laughs for the literati, for those who respect DFW's writing and know that the
Sean
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: available
Amerika transposes the episodic structure of the picaresque (in which the rogue-hero is strung from Event to Event, beholden only to the unfurling of plot) to the form of an anti-Bildungsroman—wherein our narrator, Karl, is not the seat of identity's formation or Spirit’s progress, but rather marches inexorably towards a dissolute subject: the “Man Who Disappeared”.

This disappearance is carried out through a series of transformations in status and class: from his commencement in the New World a
Nikolai Stavrogin
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ცხადია, ვარსკვალები არაფერს ცვლის და წყვეტს, მაგრამ ყოველთვის, როცა კაფკას რომელიმე ნაწარმოებს წავიკითხავ, თუნდაც ნახევარი გვერდი იყოს, მინდა ჩამოვუყვე ყველა სხვა ავტორის წიგნებს და თითო ვარსკვლავი ჩამოვაკლო.
Sách Chuyền Tay
Kafka đã từng nói: "Tôi do dự trước khi tôi ra đời".
Cá nhân tôi có do dự trước khi quyết định đọc tác phẩm này (sau khi đã đọc Hóa thân, Lâu đài và Vụ án) không? Câu trả lời là: Có!
Và sau khi đọc xong tác phẩm này, tôi muốn hỏi Kafka: Ông có do dự trước khi viết Nước Mỹ không?
Nước Mỹ hay Kẻ mất tích được giới thiệu ở bìa sau cuốn sách được thiết kế rất đẹp của Nhã Nam là: "...tiểu thuyết đầu tiên và hài hước nhất của Kafka"! Nhưng tôi chưa bao giờ thấy Kafka hài hước. Tôi cũng từng nghe từ buổi
Nicoleta
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: citite-2009
Absurdul și arbitrariul care schimbă vieți. Foarte muncitor Karl și nu e destul să se adapteze în America lui Kafka.
Ali AlShewail
تنبيه : المراجعة دي تحتوي على حرق لأحداث الرواية في أكتر من موضع.

بعد فترة طويلة من رغبتي في القراءة له تم لقائي الأول بالروائي الألماني فرانز كافكا، بدأت بآخر أعماله "أمريكا" واللي توصف بإنها أكثر أعماله تفاؤلا و أقلها سوداوية.

في الحقيقة طول فترة القراءة اللي أمتدت أسبوع و زيادة مكنتش قادر أتخلص من فكرتي المسبقة عن كافكا في إنه شخص قاتم النفس و قلمه قاتم زيه، الفكرة اللي كونتها من مقالات و مراجعات كتيرة قريتها عنه و عن أعماله خاصة روايته الأشهر "التحول".

على الرغم من إن الرواية دي بتتكلم عن قصة
Gypsy
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
انتظار داشتم ازش خوشم بیاد. ولی خیلی تکخطی بود. حقیقتاً کافکا یهجور ملالانگیزی مینویسه. شاید هم برای من اینطور بود. ولی دغدغهشو دوست داشتم. درگیری و گرههاش خوب درومده بودن. کاش هیجان بیشتری داشت یا اینقد تکخطی نبود روایتش. هیچکششی برای تمومکردنش نداشتم. دیالوگها بخش اعظم روشنگری داستان بودن که گمونم اگه نویسنده هنرشو توشون نمیذاشت، دیگه چیزی از داستان باقی نمیموند. در واقع داستان مدیون دیالوگنویسی، شخصیتپردازی و درونمایهشه. وگرنه طوری نیست که بگم داستان تکنیکیای هست. اینایی که چار و پنج دادن، بگ ...more
Maryana Pinchuk
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's perverse pleasure in watching a genius fail. If you love Kafka, read this to know why: watch as his beautiful existential vignettes die horribly the moment they are bolted onto a conventional plot. Marvel at how trite the themes of contemporary fiction are when they're no longer contemporary. Cheer (okay, maybe not cheer...) to know the man tortured himself to do better than this sophomoric attempt at a first novel. And, if you're a way more persistent reader than I, maybe actually finis ...more
Anastasia
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, owned-books
Διαδραματιζόμενο στην Αμερική στις αρχές του 20ου αιώνα, τότε που η χώρα αυτή φάνταζε ως η γη των αστείρευτων ευκαιριών, το ιδανικό μέρος για ένα καινούριο ξεκίνημα. Για τον νεαρό Καρλ Ρόσμαν, το ξεκίνημα αυτό θα χαρακτηριστεί αρχικά από μία αναπάντεχη και ευνοϊκή συνάντηση για να εμπλουτιστεί στη συνέχεια με απογοητεύσεις, εμπόδια, δυσκολίες και ατυχίες. Μέσα στη θολά προσδιορισμένη ατμόσφαιρα της Νέας Υόρκης, γνωρίζουμε τον πρωταγωνιστή, τον ακολουθούμε στην πορεία που χαράζει, συμπάσχουμε και ...more
empty
بعدا مينويسم
Shaimaa Ali
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
صبي أوروبي يذهب إلى أمريكا .. فكيف يعامله العالم الجديد .. الغرباء وحتى الأقارب ؟
أعتقد أن صفات عديدة من كتابات كافكا تبدو في هذه الرواية الأولى من كتاباته.. العبث الشديد والأحداث اللا منطقية -وان كانت هنا أهدأقليلاً - ولكن فيها تشابه مع بقية أعماله .. القصر والمحاكمة وغيرها .. علاقته شديدة الارتباك بأهله ، تخلي عمه عنه وما إلى ذلك ..
هل كان يجب أن تُفقد أوراقه؟ لشدّ ما أردت قراءة الفصل الأخير والذي تتوقف عنده الرواية فلا نعرف مصير صغيرنا "كارل" وهل ستتحسن أحواله أم ماذا كما عقّب صديقه ماكس برود
Niloufar  Rahmanian
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Astonishing. Loved this book more than other works of dearest Kafka. Every sign was so well organized and I felt, for the first time, that I could actually undestand what Kafka meant. Im sure that this book is one of the books i will never ever forget. So original. So genius. Im full of admiration.
Dimitris
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kafka
Passages of pure genius, I can't understand why he would not finish it, why he wanted it burnt... But an unfinished Kafka "draft" is better written that any other author's overpolished final piece.
معتز
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ما الذي يسعني قوله!
أن تلك الرواية تقرأ ببطء دفعة ثم تترك، ثم تقرأ من جديد و تترك كأنها جرعات على فترات
أن لها من الأثر ما يترك ترسبات في روح قارئها.. على الأقل بالنسبة لي نفسية، رغم ما سمعته أنها تعد أكثر روايات كافكا تفاؤلاً ، سعادة ، أو بهجة..
ما أفهمه هو أن كافكا قدم حياة واقعية عادية في إطار غير عادي و دون مبالغات تصويرية، و لا عجب في ذلك.. فالواقعية السحرية خرجت من تحت عباءته
تلك القدرة التي تجعله قادرًا على أن ينقل مشهد عادي من الحياة لا يبدو منطقيًا ليجعله ممنطقًا ومقنعًا أكثر من اللازم.
يقو
Graziano
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Nei labirinti raccontati da K., senza alcuna possibilita' per l'orizzonte (se ci fosse).

"Allora sono colpevole", disse Karl, facendo una pausa come se si aspettasse dai suoi giudici una parola amichevole, tale da infondergli il coraggio di continuare a difendersi, ma questa parola non venne... (p. 145)

"E' impossibile difendersi quando manca la buona volonta'", si disse Karl, ... (p. 146)

Cosi' si giunge ad una perfetta coincidenza tra l'espatriazione del superstite absburgico, la disintegrazione
Kain
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يأتي هذا العمل من رغبة كافكا في الاختفاء، والذي ينمسخ في آخر الأمر إلى حضورٍ أكثر من المتوقع.

لسرد كافكا نبرة صلاتية اعترافية خاشعة، بكل السخرية اللاذعة التي تنطوي عليها.
Jacob Appel
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kafka's incomplete and unfinished first novel follows guileless European emigree Karl Rossmann through the mistrials and misadventures of his early days in the United States. The theme of this novel and of the entire Kafka oeuvre is unjust persecution--and from the outset Karl finds himself interrogated and forced to justify himself in various untenable positions. (The first "chapter" of the novel is the well-known short story, The Stoker, in which Karl attempts to advocate for the title charact ...more
RK-ïsme
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Reading Kafka can be very frustrating. His central characters are always indecisive, easily swayed and somewhat naïve. In The Trial, The Castle and The Metamorphosis, this can be excused somewhat by the lack of context for the character. They simply cannot get enough control of the situation to be able to make a firm decision. In Amerika, however, Karl Rossman seems incapable of learning from experience and making a firm decision. Even when he seems to make a good decision, he eventually gives i ...more
Rosemary
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
Kafka's first and unfinished novel. Karl Rossmann arrives in America by boat, having been banished by his parents after disgracing himself with a maid. He immediately loses his suitcase, finds an uncle, finds his suitcase again, loses the uncle, finds companions, loses them, finds a job, finds the companions again, loses the job ... etc.

Dreamlike, in that things happen one after the other without the usual kind of cause and effect that you get in novels. Some of the things that happen are good,
WhatIReallyRead
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading Amerika I felt like I was reading the really small print on the back of some product in the supermarket. Squinting, looking closer and closer, trying to descipher it, consentrating... I'm still not sure I got it. Yeah, and there's that fact that it hasn't been finished. So... I don't know. The book left me kinda confused.
Tứ Huỳnh
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mình khá bất ngờ khi lần đầu tiên quyển này được xuất bản ở Việt Nam, vì nào giờ mình mới biết đến sự tồn tại của nó, và cũng bất ngờ không kém khi biết quyển này là một trong những trước tác đầu tiên mà Kafka khởi thảo.

Kafka có cái...tài (hay tật!?) phác thảo rất kĩ lưỡng những nội dung chính và những vấn đề cực kì gay gắt qua những tác phẩm của mình, nhưng lại bỏ dở và không hoàn thành chúng. Quyển này nằm trong Bộ ba về nỗi cô đơn (gồm Kẻ mất tích, Lâu đài, Vụ án) với ba nhân vật như phản án
Lance
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
A very interesting book that explores Kafka's perceptions of Amerika from afar, particularly with regard to class and gender. I used this in my literature class, and the students really got into exploring the imagery and dreamscapes.
MJ Nicholls
Mar 25, 2016 marked it as half-read  ·  review of another edition
Finished “appreciating” Kafka. Laters, Franz.
Wreade1872
Another of Kafka's unfinished works. A lot like David Copperfield, from what i read of it anyway the entire middle-third is a bit of a blur because i could not bare reading it properly and skimmed most of it.

You know those tv programs, mostly comedies or comedy-dramas, the ones that make you cringe? Those horribly uncomfortable social situations that make you squirm in your seat? Well thats how this made me feel.
I have a particularly tender spot for that sort of thing, i really.... can't stand
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 2 15 Jul 02, 2018 12:53PM
Who is fanny? 8 209 Aug 13, 2016 07:34PM
Around the Year i...: Amerika, by Franz Kafka 1 22 Aug 10, 2016 06:29PM
  • Auto-da-Fé
  • The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge
  • The Confusions of Young Törless
  • Franz Kafka's The Castle (Dramatization)
  • The Assistant
  • Conversations with Kafka
  • I'm Not Stiller
  • The Hothouse
  • The Sleepwalkers
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include The Metamorpho

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • Mary
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
“So then you’re free?’
‘Yes, I’m free,’ said Karl, and nothing seemed more worthless than his freedom.”
54 likes