Start by marking “Amerika” as Want to Read:
Amerika

Amerika

Kafka's first and funniest novel, Amerika tells the story of the young immigrant Karl Rossmann who, after an embarrassing sexual misadventure, finds himself "packed off to America" by his parents. Expected to redeem himself in this magical land of opportunity, young Karl is swept up instead in a whirlwind of dizzying reversals, strange escapades, and picaresque adventures. ...more
Published July 2nd 1996 by Schocken (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Amerika, please sign up.
Alice Macali david foster wallace tried to explain kafka's subtle humor several times, perhaps you can check an article called "laughing with kafka"

Start your review of Amerika
Ahmad Sharabiani
688. Der Verschollene = Amerika = The Man Who Disappeared = The Missing Person = Lost in America, Franz Kafka
Amerika, also known as The Man Who Disappeared, The Missing Person and as Lost in America, is the incomplete first novel of author Franz Kafka (1883–1924), written between 1911 and 1914 and published posthumously in 1927. The story describes the bizarre wanderings of sixteen-year-old European immigrant Karl Roßmann, who was forced to go to New York City to escape the scandal of his seduct
Fernando
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jorge Luis Borges afirmaba que los personajes de Kafka eran “Profesionales de la derrota.” En cierto modo, podemos asegurar eso cuando encuadramos a tres personajes tan particulares como K. de "El Castillo", Joseph K. de "El Proceso" y Karl Rossman, protagonista de "América" en ese rótulo, todo confirma que este genio nunca se equivocaba y en cierta medida, los podemos ver como personajes alter ego con características autobiográficas del mismo Kafka.
Pero hay algo esperanzador en América que no
Luís C.
America was the first novel written by Kafka and one of several unfinished ones. Written in 1910 and only published in 1927 after his death by his great friend Max Brod, he leaves many loose ends and many questions about the true fate that the author would have thought for his protagonist. Possibly, it is with this text that Kafka for the first time traces, what will be throughout his work, the body of his literature: the exploration of the inner universe of the human being, alienation and perse ...more
Violet wells
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Often I opt to know as little as possible about the novels I read before starting them which includes not reading the back cover synopsis. So I didn’t know this was an unfinished novel when I started. I hadn’t read any Kafka since my teens when I can’t say he was ever a favourite of mine. My feeling about him was further sullied after reading his letters to Milena, a girl he neurotically and rather cruelly strung along who eventually was to die in the Nazi death camps. Those letters are fascinat ...more
Agir(آگِر)
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
جایی که حسن نیت در کار نباشد، محال است بتوانی از خودت دفاع کنی
description

بنظرم آمریکا را می توان چکامه شادی کافکا نامید، آنهم در تقابل با کارهایی مثل مسخ و محاکمه و قصر که فضای پیچیده و تاریکی دارند. اما در این اثر، با همه‌ی دردسرهایی که برای شخصیت اول داستان پیش می آید، میتوان روزنه امید و بهروزی را هم حس کرد... در صحنه هایی چنان هیجانی بود که ریتم "مرگ قسطی" سلین برام تداعی میشد؛ مخمصه پشت مخمصه و نفس گیر

حیف و هزار حسرت که کافکا این کتاب را هم به پایان نرساند...
Vit Babenco
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka just watches, he doesn’t comment…
As the seventeen-year-old Karl Rossmann, who had been sent to America by his unfortunate parents because a maid had seduced him and had a child by him, sailed slowly into New York harbour, he suddenly saw the Statue of Liberty, which had already been in view for some time, as though in an intenser sunlight. The sword in her hand seemed only just to have been raised aloft, and the unchained winds blew about her form.

And Karl Rossmann encounters many a
يتتبع كافكا مصير الانسان في دروب ومتاهات الحياة بين الأمل والوهم
سرد جميل وسلس ومُثقل أحيانا بالتفاصيل والوصف
Franco  Santos
3.5

Esta es la quinta obra de Kafka que leo (aunque es mi primera novela). Me gustó mucho. Se me hizo bastante pesada en algunas partes, pero la historia me parece brillante; una muestra más de la agudeza de este hombre con baja autoestima.

Son varios los temas que desfilan en este libro. Los siguientes son los que más destacan, en mi opinión:

▪ Kafka juega con sutiliza con los matices sociales, los títulos que nos damos por lo que empleamos y la significación relativa que nos otorgamos como una es
Nandakishore Varma
I loved this first novel by Kafka, much more sunny and easier to read than his others (even though the chapter on Brunelda is pretty frightening). This is incomplete - but does not matter much as Kafka's stories are dreamlike and disjointed anyway.

Kafka never visited America. I was thinking today that whatever is happening in America nowadays is much weirder and more surreal than any of his novels.
Nicholas Karpuk
I had difficulties not feeling like a tool while reading Kafka at work on my breaks. A guy with a beard and thick rimmed glasses read Amerika, just makes me feel like a parody of myself.

Kafka is one of those authors young men latch on to in high school or college and inevitably talk way too much about. I can definitely see the appeal with the themes of alienation and a system that works against the well-meaning individual. But there's something I realized while reading this book:

Kafka would have
Tijana
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reprize
Ne znam, možda da napravim policu "knjige koje me nisu ubile, a baš su se potrudile"?
Ne radi se o tome da Kafka nije dobar, naprotiv, previše je dobar u onome što pokušava, a to je da vas (mene) natera da se grčite od transfera blama, da vas (mene) glavom nadole uroni u depresivnu epizodu, da ubije životnu radost u vama (meni). Da, znam da je on sam smatrao kako je zapravo humorista. Dobro, važi. Da, jeste pisac neverovatno bizarne mašte, zapletenih tokova misli, upečatljivo groznih paklenih viz
Vipassana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over a year ago but decided against reading it once I realised that it was 'unfinished' and I didn't want that for my first Kafka. In retrospect it seems so foolish, but I cannot deny the fact that I'm glad I hadn't read it then because I wasn't filled with the sufficient amount of despair towards the life I lead, to throughly feel this book, to find closure in it's incompleteness.

One is easily horrified by the rare and exceptional abominations of the world, but not by everyda
E. G.
Cover of the first edition of 'Der Heizer' ('The Stoker')
Publisher's Note
Translator's Preface & Notes

--Amerika: The Missing Person

Fragments:
Brunelda's Departure
At a street corner Karl saw ...
They traveled for two days ...

Acknowledgments
Chronology
Bibliography
A Note on the Type
Maedeh_P1H
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: franz-kafka
کاش این کتاب ناتمام نمیموند....
شخصیت کارل بشدت دوست داشتنی بود...حیف که نشد بفهمیم سرانجامش چی شد...
اخرین کتاب پائیز 97
Michela
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! My "first" Kafka....
Hossein Sharifi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franz Kafka
ژانر کتاب: رمان کوتاه و ادبیات تمثیلی یا همان الگوری
تمثیل یکی از صور خیال است و یکی از انواع تشبیه به حساب می آید. تمثيل حكايتي است در نثر يا نظم با دو معني : معني نخستين يا معني ظاهري و معني ثانويه . تمثيل يك داستان است در لغتنامه اصطلاحات ادبی کادن اینگونه تعریف شده است که، مي توان الگوری را در دو لايه يا سطح فهميد و خواند و در بعضي موارد حتي تا سه مفهوم را نيز در بردارد. قالب آن مي تواند ادبي يا تصويري باشد یا هر دوي آنها. منشأ تمثيل بسيار قديمي است و از آن براي اشكال گوناگون در بيان است
Chak
Sep 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch
Recommended to Chak by: my husband... THANKS!
Shelves: fiction
Life is too short. Don't walk - RUN - away from this book. Masochist that I am, I got more than two-thirds through the book and finally could not stand it anymore. Amerika is about a 16 year old boy named Karl who gets exiled to America by his German parents after impregnating a household servant. Just as he was bewildered and passive during the aforementioned fornication (the maid overtly seduced him), Karl remained so for the rest of the book (at least what I read). Repeatedly, and without see ...more
Lobstergirl
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marco Rubio
Shelves: covers, own, fiction

Well my friend Chak says to run from this book - she recommends it for "angst-ridden hipsters who aren't worth the trouble to punch" - which doesn't describe me - I like to think I am worth the trouble to punch. But I saw it in the store with this adorable Edward Gorey cover (totally uncredited) and knew it would be mine all mine. It smells like an old mausoleum but that's what I get for buying a book from the Eisenhower era.

-----

Wow. Weird, weird, weird. I liked the first third of Amerika quite
ατζινάβωτο φέγι.
'' Ειναι δυσκολο να υπερασπισεις τον εαυτο σου οταν δεν υπαρχει καλη θεληση'' μονολογει ο νεαρος και απειρος Καρλ Ροσμαν οταν θα συνειδητοποιησει οτι ο κοσμος ειναι αδικος και σκληρος. Ωστοσο γεματος νεανικη ορμη και ησυχη συνειδηση δε μοιαζει να απογοητευεται απο τις δυσκολιες που προβαλλουν στον δρομο του. Διαφορα μικρα περιστατικα θα τον στιγματισουν απο τη στιγμη που θα φτασει στην Αμερικη συναντωντας καθε λογης ανθρωπους και με συγκινητικη και αφελη απλοτητα θα φτασει ως την καθαρση αναζητω ...more
Mi Na
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
امریکا(مفقودالاثر) ترجمه علی اصغر حداد نشرماهی
مفقودالاثر واریاسیونی است از یک طرح کلی منسجم متشکل از اغوا، خطا، بازخواست و محکومیت. شخصیتهای این رمان عبارتند از کارل روسمن و در کنار او شخصیتی پدرسالار و سلطه جو و زنانی اغواگر. هر یک از اپیزودهای رمان تاییدی است بر یک خطا که در مفقودالاثر هم مانند محاکمه یا حکم وقوع آن مسلم و انکارناپذیر است.
Dagio_maya
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europea, classica
Premetto che leggere dei romanzi incompiuti mi dà sempre qualche problema nel senso che ne faccio una lettura condizionata da una forma che l’autore, per un motivo o per l’altro, non ha voluto definire.
Il titolo “America”, poi lo dobbiamo all’amico Max Brod che lo pubblicò postumo nel 1927.
La redazione degli otto capitoli più i frammenti, risale al periodo tra il 1911 ed il 1914 e quindi precedente a “Le Metamorfosi”(1915) ed a “Il processo” (scritto nel 1914 e pubblicato postumo nel 1925).
Nel 1
Roberto
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, slavi

Le avventure di Pinocchio

America è un romanzo incompiuto del 1911 pubblicato postumo nel 1927.

Karl Rossmann è un sedicenne obbediente, serio, diligente che viene mandato in America dai genitori perché accusato di avere messo incinta una cameriera.

Il senso del romanzo inizia già qui. Questa è infatti la prima delle tre occasioni in cui sarà accusato ingiustamente di qualcosa che non ha commesso o di cui non ha colpa e per questo inevitabilmente scacciato. Troviamo qui un lieve parallelismo con il
Shahab Samani
چیزی که شاید درباره‌ی این رمان می‌تواند عجیب باشد این است که کافکا هیچوقت به "آمریکا" نرفته بود و تنها سفرنامه‌ها و روزنامه‌ها منبع الهام او بوده‌اند.
با این حال تصویری که او از آمریکا می‌سازد با گذشت حدود صد سال از نوشتن این رمان، به تصویری که ما امروز از آمریکا داریم بسیار نزدیک و باورپذیر است. چیزی مثل تصویری که در روزمره از تهران امروز روایت میشود: شلوغ، پر سروصدا، هرج و مرج، شکاف طبقاتی شدید، دود، هر کی به فکر خودش و رها شدگی و از این حرف‌ها.
حالا بماند که این هراس از مدرنیته و غربی شدن - غر
Navid Taghavi
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"اگر حسن نیت در کار نباشد، دفاع از خود شدنی نیست." آمریکا / کافکا
کارل نوجوان با اصرار خانواده راهی سرزمین فرصت‌ها می‌شود. در ابتدا اوضاع خوب و مناسب به نظر می‌رسد اما طولی نمی‌کشد که روزهای سخت و اتفاقات ناگوار کارل فرا می‌رسد تا اینکه سرانجام در هتلی به عنوان آسانسورچی استخدام می‌شود. کارِ سنگین و استراحتِ ناکافی فراتر از توان جسمی کارل است. با اینحال کارل بابت ثبات پیش‌آمده پس از بلاتکلیفی‌های پشت سر گذاشته، خوشنود است. خانم سرآشپز حامی کارل است و با وجود نه چندان زیادش، حضورش مایه دلگرمی کارل
Cecily
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was originally titled The Man Who Disappeared. The first chapter, The Stoker, was published as a short story and often included in the collection The Metamorphosis (see my review HERE) .

It opens with a description of a city, country and continent Kafka never saw:
"New York looked at Karl with the hundred thousand windows of its skyscrapers."
The ship, too, has windows (of course), but there are more references to them than one might expect in such a few pages.

Karl is only 16 and has been
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
My copy has a Preface written by one Klaus Mann in August 1940. It describes Franz Kafka's life, his very sad life. He had poor health, worked in a gloomy office, never made enough money and with a solitary romance that was "doomed to dreary frustration." He never enjoyed any spectacular success as an author. His works became famous only after he died. Drats.

AMERIKA was supposed to be Kafka's light, funny and optimistic novel. It tells the story of Karl Rossman, a poor boy of sixteen who had bee
Chad Post
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple years ago, some trickster posted the first page of David Foster Wallace's INFINITE JEST to a Yahoo group looking for advice about "his" new novel. Not surprisingly, the um, yahoos, didn't recognize the source text and populated the message board with all sorts of terrible advice about the lack of action and the fact that he "knows what to do--just dump it and start over!"

Obviously, this provided a shitton of laughs for the literati, for those who respect DFW's writing and know that the
Hendrik
Der Verschollene ist die Geschichte eines steten Versagens. Von der eigenen Familie ins Land der unbegrenzten Möglichkeiten verbannt, weil er ein Dienstmädchen geschwängert hat, sucht der 16-jährige Karl Roßmann einen Platz an dem er sich endlich bewähren kann. Doch seine redlichen Bemühungen scheitern am Ende alle am Einfluss unklarer Kräfte, denen er nichts entgegenzusetzen weiß. Eine Abwärtsbewegung aus Erwartungen, Verfehlungen und Strafe setzt sich in immer neuen Varianten fort. Kafka zeigt ...more
Tsung
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Another review vanished! How Kafkaesque! Especially when it used to be called The Man who Disappeared. It's probably metamorphosised, gone on trial and banished to the goodreads penal colony.

Fortunately I saved a copy:

Possible spoilers but the story is unfinished anyway.

The story is too incomplete to warrant a higher rating but the writing is good. Well, at the start anyway. This is the bildungsroman of a 17 year old Karl Rossmann, who is dispatched to Amerikafka by his parents. It is quite a de
Danielle
Jan 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was my last Kafka book to read. He has such a talent for putting you into a nightmare. It is brilliantly written and an exhausting read.
sp
marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2007
Ali
Mar 19, 2007 rated it liked it
رمان "امریکا" بیشتر یک تمثیل از "سفر پیدایش" در جهان ماست. کارل رسمان، قهرمان ساده دل کافکا پس از آن همه مصیبت، وقتی به سرزمین رویایی خود می رسد، در دست مجسمه ی آزادی بجای مشعل، یک شمشیر می بیند...
Jeff Veesenmeyer
Mar 23, 2007
Kit
Mar 26, 2007
Calley
Mar 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
Amerika was fun, absurd with possible existential ties. It was fun to read a translation, especially because the other translation portrays different themes.
Fun diction, a lot of homosexual/dandy references, Amerika as opportunity, confinement, the role of women, light/darkness in the book are all interesting points.

The end of the book is choppy andliterally unfinished. I don't know, if Kafka couldn't even finish his great comedy, was it worth it for me to?
Kamyar Akhavan
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2007
Katie R.
Mar 29, 2007
Reading 1001: Amerika by Franz Kafka 3 14 Dec 07, 2019 05:52PM
Who is fanny? 8 243 Oct 31, 2019 07:02AM
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 2 17 Jul 02, 2018 12:53PM

• Franz Kafka's The Castle (Dramatization)
  • The Plague
  • The Master and Margarita
  • The Wall
  • The First Man
  • The Investigation
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include "The Metamorph