Start by marking “Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)

Beastly

(Kendra Chronicles #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  164,057 ratings  ·  8,890 reviews
I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell
Published October 2nd 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Beastly, please sign up.
Riza Mae I've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the…moreI've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the other because all of them are different stories just narrated and being connected by the witch Kendra...:) (hope that helps)(less)

·  164,057 ratings  ·  8,890 reviews

Cara
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romanitcs
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
So this book has been around for awhile and my sister actually had read it when it first came out and when I asked her how she liked it she said, "It was interesting but kind of cheesy with the internal dialogue. It was eh." But then I saw the movie trailer so of course I had to read the book and see what the deal was. This always happen to me, I think, It's going to be made into a movie? Oh I gotta read that. Then I whip my head around and see I do the same thing like everyone else! Final verd ...more
Wendy Darling
It's hard to feel interest in characters who are so shallow and dull. An interesting concept, but a book lacking in any real depth or beauty or emotion.
Nick
description

You know those rare special times when the movie is better n the book? JACKPOT! This is one.To be honest the movie is way way better than this.

description

Yeah love may never be ugly,but for sure this book is.

As much as I want to talk about how slow this book is and how incredibly boring and how you can't stand it,I don't want to spoil anything.

*"CHEESY"*

My advice to you is :
"WATCH THE MOVIE"

Maria Clara
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta vez lo he hecho al revés, es decir, he visto primero la película que leído el libro. Es más, no tenía ni idea de que este libro existía. Pero me ha encantado. Deseando leer el siguiente.
Bookwatcher
Kyle Kingsbury is rich, tall, blond, perfect .... and a spoiled teenager that take pleasure breaking young girls hearts. Really a awful person that deserve a witch lesson about inside beauty.

Well... books exist to this motive... take us to charming and delight worlds helping us to forget the real world we live... place that acclaim anorexic models (that look like dead womans walking) as feminine beauty to follow.

No place to moral lesson, so going on with my review, I may say that this book (as
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Awesome, cute story!! Enjoyed it wayy more than the movie.. I wasn't expecting.
The book gave more depth to Kyle's character, feelings, perspective of things, and how he saw the world, than I thought possible and I'm so glad for it because it made this an amazing story!

I thought this would be a bit boring due to the fact that Kyle was a wealthy news anchor's son, and also that entailed him being snobbish, rude, selfish, vain, unfeeling and spoiled... so overall a prick and so forth but it was an
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It might even be my favorite fairy tale retelling that I've read so far.
Elizabeth Sagan
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just like with Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, I feel there are too many below average YA books around. This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The fact that I already knew the story behind it had nothing to do with how boring this book was. The characters were stereotypical and not worth remembering. The story was boring and predictable. Don’t lose your time with it...

Kristy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
So, I am very, VERY relieved that I enjoyed this. I was beginning to wonder if I just didn't like Fairy Tale Re-tellings, but this one pulled me out of the slump!
I am so glad that Alex Flinn stuck with the "Beauty and the Beast" story... She made it modern, but didn't change the BIG details.

Our Beast, Kyle is a high schooler, a very rich, very good looking (as he describes himself, so obviously he's totally modest right?!?!?) one. He values looks and money over everything. He can't even look a
Exina
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Magic. It was magic, and the magic is called love.”

Beastly is a heartwarming, wonderful retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a very delightful read, with the chat sessions, the modern-day setting, the wide range of emotions, lots of references to classics, and tons of roses. It is just perfect. I expected a fairy tale retold, and I’m not disappointed.

The story deals with important issues, such as inner values over appearance, abandoned children, parent-child relationships, friendship, e
Jamie
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
'Beauty and the Beast' has always been a favorite fairy tale for me. Therefore reading this had me quite exciting. I had already seen the movie and enjoyed it and I was pleasantly surprised when I learned about the book.

This retelling takes place in a more modern day world, and starts with our "Beast" - Kyle. A rich, spoiled, popular pretty-boy who seems to have it all. When he plays a prank on the wrong girl he is cursed into a beast and we quickly learn this guy had nothing. He is moved to a
Marija
One of my favorite fairytales as a child was Beauty and the Beast. I liked the Disney cartoon, loved the wonderful creepiness of Jean Cocteau’s La belle et la bête, yet my absolute favorite version of the tale was Marianna Meyer’s Beauty and the Beast with Mercer Mayer’s great illustrations. When I picked up Beastly, I was looking forward to reading a modern retelling of the story. However, as I finished it, I was ultimately disappointed.

The book starts off well enough. Kyle Kingsbury’s the Adon

...Love is never ugly...

***Movie Poster***

[image error]

Book Review

I've been curious to read this ever since I've watched the new movie trailer of this book which will stars Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens, and that would be showing on March 2011. I love Alex Pettyfer and I really wanted to read the book first so I'll have an idea what will be going on when I'm gonna watch the film.

The reason that I gave it 3 stars is because I have
Yin Chien 인첸
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a charming retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast. The author added some twists and turns to make the story differ from the original version. And this is what that makes it an enjoyable book.

Kyle Kingsbury is the son of a famous and wealthy newsman, and he also has what it takes to make girls swoon over him - good looks. His life is perfect, yet deep inside, he isn't. When he plays an evil trick on a fat, ugly girl named Kendra, he is cursed to become what he really is - a b
Kat Valentine
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beastly just goes to show that you can be beautiful of the face,but be a monster inside. I loved this up to date retelling of beauty and the beast.it was very well written.This was the very first beast that I felt not pity for at first,but as I found out about him I started to understand him better,that's the sign of a great storyteller.Adrian hides himself in a apartment with only his housekeeper Magda and his blind tutor will.The only pleasure he has is a greenhouse were he grows rose's,but wh ...more
Fiona
Oh my heart just melted into a gooey mozzarella cheese... ❤

description

"That's what true love should be like - the person should be a part of your soul and you should know what they're feeling all the time."

Beastly is a fun, quick, enjoyable re-telling of the popular fairytale; Beauty and the Beast.
Well written, with great characters and a great plot, I finished the book in one sitting and went out to recommend it to anyone who'll listen a second after.

The first thing that attracted me to the book was t
Arlene
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Hannahr
Beastly by Alex Flinn is a creative, modern telling of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. In this book, Flinn develops a twist to the story by narrating the events from the Beast’s perspective but in a current day setting. I was rather pleased with the book in many regards, and I’m looking forward to seeing this book translated to screen ((not just for obvious reasons... ahem...ahem... Prettyface)) but I think there’s an opportunity to see a few themes pulled from Beastly, so I’m curious to se ...more
Souma BookAddict
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018

I didn’t like this book, which is pretty much opposing to how the majority of people felt about it. I loved the idea but it was poorly executed. I found it clichéd, boring and shallow. as a retelling, it wasn't enticing enough.
Kyle is still kind of a dick at the end. And I wasn't interested in his redemption story, and I am pretty sure I started skim-reading two thirds of the way through.
JoAnna
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun..... but I guess I was just hoping for something darker. Happy ending can be such a drag..... LOL all in all I enjoyed the story it just was not what I wanted it to be.
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
So I've had this book in my TBR list since it came out a believe almost ten years ago i think and I wish I had read it when I was younger.....because I just couldn't get into it. for me the message was as deep as a kitty cool, don't judge people by their appearance is something I learned when I was I kid, and it felt very, very forced in this book, with the dad being awful along with ever background character the one character I loved will who had learned to deal with his disabilly had it cured ...more
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
it was better then the movie, truer to the original story.
Ivy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich liebe Märchen. Und die Neuinterpretation von "Die Schöne und das Biest" als modernes Märchen, mitten in New York City.

Von der ganzen Geschichte bin ich begeistert. Ein zauberhaftes Buch, voller Liebe, Drama und Magie. Natürlich auch kitschig und mit Happy End. Aber auch wenn man weiß wie es verläuft und ausgeht, lässt der humorvolle und jugendliche Schreibstil sich toll lesen und macht es kurzweilig.

Kyle ist gut aussehend, beliebt und reich aber auch selbstverliebt, oberflächlich und überh
Lina
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Beauty and the Beast
Since before I was old enough to talk, Disney's Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite movies of all time. When other girls idolized real life celebrities, I idolized Belle. She was beautiful, independent and, most of all, smart. As I grew up, I learnt more about the origins of the story, I became intrigued. [For those unaware, the original story of Beauty and the Beast was to teach young women to be open to arranged marriages.] As it is a classic, there are multiple versions of the story a ...more
Anne
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of the Beauty & the Beast from the Beast's point of view.

It's set in modern times in NYC.
The beast is Kyle Kingsbury, a spoiled, selfish, narcissistic, extremely good-looking teen who gets away with much with only his winning smile.
After a cruel joke on a homely, overweight classmate, a witch turns him into the beast.

He has 2 years to find someone who will truly love him as he is, and whom he must also love.
When she kisses him, the curse is lifted.
But if he fails to find
Michelle
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primero vi la película y me gusto, no sabia que existía este libro, y me ha encantado!!! Y ha superado a la peli por mucho!!!
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, ya
I enjoyed this new take on Beauty and the Beast. It was definitely an easy read, I finished this 300-page book within about 3 hours. The message about inside and outside beauty is a good one for young teens. I don't really think this book would have been very interesting for older teens, 10-13 year-olds is a target audience.

Having said that, this was an uneven book. It started very strong, but fizzled a little by the end. It just became a bit too simplistic and cheesy and the lessons learned in
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

I could see myself possibly liking this book while I was younger but honestly, it isn’t that great. There is many “Beauty and the Beast” retellings out there and many are better than this one, both in story and in writing.

I would consider this a less than average retelling and I would not recommend it but at the same time, I would not say that it’s terrible.

Also, random side note: if you watch the movie after reading the book, do not be surprised that it feels like the movie is very LO
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A modern Beauty & the Beast, this story has it all - romance, angst, realism, humour & action. I loved every moment of it.

Honestly, I learned about Beastly through the news that Alex Pettyfer was going to play the main hero in the movie adaptation, but it was the fact that the plot was based on my favourite fairytale that made me eager to read it. I was a little cautious about starting it, but once I began, there was no stopping.

Beastly is a modern rendition of a man without kindness cha
Terry
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Perhaps I was tired and feeling a little raw when I read this in one four-hour sitting, but that isn't the only reason I got a catch in my throat and a drop in my eye. It follows the fairy tale closely, and I still was taken in by this story. This might be a love story that male readers can stomach, even enjoy. Could the female character have been more richly developed? Sure. Could either of the fathers in the book have been more fully-formed? You bet. But I think this is a good story, well told ...more
Iliana Simeonova
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата е един съвременен преразказ на една от любимите ми приказки, а именно "Красавица и звярът". Тази приказка ми е любимата, защото тя разказва, че външната красота не е важна, вътрешното ни аз е значимото, а и да не забравяме и факта, че Бел обича книгите.
Зареди това книгата ми хареса, защото разказва една от любимите ми детски приказки, по един съвременен, забавен и лек начин. Неусетно приключих книгата и останах с желанието най-после да изгледам филма по книгата. Който за сведение в моме
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to a book 3 17 Apr 10, 2018 09:25AM
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: Beastly by Alex Flinn 6 16 Jun 04, 2017 07:31PM
A Little Bit Of This: Beastly 24 7 May 18, 2017 01:54PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • Belle: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • As You Wish (Genies #1)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)
  • The Rose Bride: A Retelling of The White Bride and the Black Bride
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Academy 7
  • Song of the Sparrow
  • If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?
  • Saving Juliet
  • Fairest
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)
  • Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)
“Just because something is beautiful doesn´t mean it´s good.” 956 likes
“those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy.” 591 likes