Start by marking “The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter” as Want to Read:
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  84,276 ratings  ·  5,603 reviews
An alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here.

Carson McCullers’ prodigious first novel was published to instant acclaim when she was just twenty-three. Set in a small town in the middle of the deep South, it is the story of John Singer, a lonely deaf-mute, and a disparate group of people who are drawn towards his kind, sympathetic nature. The owner of the café where S
Published September 8th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, please sign up.
David Johannesen One has only to read critiques following the frontispiece: "I have found in her (Carson McCullers) works such intensity and nobility of spirit as we…moreOne has only to read critiques following the frontispiece: "I have found in her (Carson McCullers) works such intensity and nobility of spirit as we have not had in our prose writing since Herman Melville." —Tennessee Williams; "Her genius for prose remains one of the few satisfying achievements of our second-rate culture." —Gore Vidal(less)

·  84,276 ratings  ·  5,603 reviews

Trevor
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
I knew nothing about this book at all. Well, except for the title, I’d definitely heard the title before – but I would have bet money the book was written by a man and that it was bad romance novel, at least, that would have been my best guess. Instead, this is now perhaps one of my all-time favourite American novels. It can be compared without the least blush of embarrassment with Steinbeck at his best and Harper Lee out killing mocking birds – and there are many, many points of comparison betw ...more
Jenn(ifer)
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the tin man
Recommended to Jenn(ifer) by: thank you, whoever you are

She went there, didn't she.

As I read this novel, I could tell McCullers was setting the stage for something truly horrible to happen. And horrible things did happen. But they were never as bad as I thought they would be. Until...

Oh yes, she waited until the very end to rip my heart from my chest, throw it on the floor, stomp on it with her pumps and then throw it into the ocean to be eaten by sharks.

How does someone write a book this rich and wise and honest at 23? How does a young girl write s
Paul Bryant
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
ROCK AND ROLL

It turns out that Miss McCullers did most of her great writing - most of her entire writing - before she was 30. Rock and roll! After 30 she was too busy having ghastly illnesses and marrying the same guy three or four times, and dodging invitations to a suicide pact from the guy she married all those times. So when she was 22 - I ask you! - she wrote this first novel which is a stone American classic. I had heretofore thought that absorbing a ton of influences and developing a uniq
Lisa
The heart is a lonely hunter and it can break in many different ways.

Mine broke several times while reading this stunning document of American life. What a rich and multifaceted story, and what a perfect complement to other giants of American storytelling of that era.

Just in the beginning, I saw traces of Steinbeck, most notably of his Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, in the small town talk and the slightly comical marital scenes. But the tone quickly grew darker, and when African American life
Arah-Lynda
I simply cannot get this book out of my head.    Like most everyone else I am astounded that Carson McCullers was only 23 years old when she wrote this.  Such wisdom and insight from someone so young is truly remarkable.

And there are so many great reviews out there, I just could not stop reading them.  A great many of them, as one might expect discuss the greater themes of this book and there can be no doubt that I too fell to pondering these many  things as I thought about the world today.

I m
Brina
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each year I attempt to participate in classics bingo in the group catching up on classics. This year, so far, so good. I gave a lot of thought as to which classic book I wanted to use for my classic of North America square. There are a few authors that come to mind as classic American authors, where each piece of literature written by them reads like a story being told on one's front porch. The names Hemingway and Steinbeck first come to my mind, along with that of Carson McCullers. Distinctly s ...more
Lawyer
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every one should read this book
Recommended to Lawyer by: O.B. Emerson, Professor Emeritus, Department of English, The University of Alabama
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCuller's Portrait of the Faces Behind the Masks

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter was chosen as a group read by On The Southern Literary Trail for January, 2017. This is the third time McCuller's novel has been selected as a group read by "The Trail," making it the most read novel by members of the group which was founded in February, 2012.

Thanks to a former goodreads friend, I've learned I am only gently mad. It was a relief to discover that. Because my self-ana
Richard Derus
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.99* of five

A near-perfect book, a joy of a read, and a heartfelt "thank you" to the goddesses of literature for it. My review has moved out of the purview of censors and moneygrubbers to my blog.
Samra Yusuf
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav
And here we are in the world full of probabilities, reasoning with the unreasoned existence, awestruck at the purposelessness of life, at actions with no consequences, at endings with no more re-beginnings, once we die, we die. Alone is our planet and so are we, some of us are more alone than the rest though, some of us choose to be so, for some it’s the only option. And it is the tale of chosen and of those who chose!
A tale of love and of whom who seek love, of abandoned and espoused, of isolat
Steve
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By the time Mozart was 5, he was composing his own music and performing for royalty. John Stuart Mill had mastered Latin, Greek, Algebra and Euclidean Geometry by the time he was 8. Bobby Fischer won the US Chess Championship at the age of 14. When Orson Welles was 20, he directed his own adaptation of Macbeth as a WPA project with unemployed black performers in Harlem. Why I myself, if you’ll forgive me for crowing, memorized the batting averages of every member of the Cincinnati Reds’ starting ...more
Traveller
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

*10 out of 5 lonely, burning stars, light years apart, yet winking together in a shared cosmos.

THIS IS NOT A LOVE-STORY! Not in the romantic sense, in any case. Somehow the title had always made me think it was a soppy love story about unrequited romantic love.
There is love in the novel, but for the most part not of the romantic kind.
Rather, it is a cry into the existential darkness that surrounds humankind, and in many respects it is a deeply political, even philosophical novel, which reminded
da AL
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hell, the title alone is marvelous!!! Great reader. A wonder of a book from an essentially child genius lesbian author that delves into so many issues as integral to when it was written as to now. Among them; how one person's struggle influences everyone around them for generations and how life can be beautiful in its struggle. This is one of a handful of books (ie books of Truman Capote & David Sedaris) that make me wish I phrased things as beautifully as southerners can!
Camille Stein
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

...

Dondequiera que uno mire, hay mezquindad y corrupción. Esta habitación, esta botella de vino de uvas, estas frutas de la cesta, son todos productos de ganancias y pérdidas. Nadie puede vivir sin prestar su aceptación pasiva a la mezquindad. Alguien tiene que agotarse por completo por cada bocado que comemos y cada pedazo de tela que llevamos puesto… y nadie parece darse cuenta. Todo el mundo está ciego, mudo, obtuso…, estúpido y mezquino.

Pero ¿qué ocurre con un hombre que sabe? Ve cómo los h
Samadrita
Let's get this out of the way. Garima, Dolors and Aubrey's gorgeously written tributes to the spirit of this American classic have pretty much made the task of composing additional paeans unnecessary. So my review is only going to be a shoddily-disguised justification for upgrading an initial 4-star rating to a deserving 5-star one. No I didn't choose to accord that previously withheld star bowing to a monster named 'peer pressure'.

The actual worth of a work of literature can be measured by the
Fionnuala
I've been reading Carson McCullers for the last month. I started with this book and then picked up each of her five other books one after the other, leaving myself no time in between to think about what I've read or consider writing a review. Today, I'm glad that I didn't attempt a review of this one because I just came across a piece in the sixth book, The Mortgaged Heart: Selected Writings, entitled Author's Outline of 'The Mute' (later published as 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter').

Her own wor
Duffy Pratt
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classic
I may come back and give this four stars, but for now I can't.

I first started this book maybe two years ago. I got about 100 pages into it and stopped. I didn't stop because I disliked it. Rather, it seemed at the time a natural result from the inertia and momentum of the book itself. Basically, I wasn't quite sure whether I had stopped or whether the book itself had simply stopped and I was just going along with it.

I picked it up again because I've always had a nagging feeling about it, and bec
Dolors
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who speak and have no time to listen
Shelves: read-in-2013
“Go, my songs, to the lonely and the unsatisfied,
Go also to the nerve-racked, go to the enslaved-by-convention,
Bear to them my contempt for their oppressors.
Go as a great wave of cool water,
Bear my contempt of oppressors.”

“Go”, commands Ezra Pound in his poem “Comission” .
And so I obey, and I go.
I go and listen to the mute choir of the lonesome and the restless, of the disinherited and the excluded, of the alienated and the embittered.
Isolated voices withering in despair, wrestling in inco
Garima
Artistically formed constellations hold the promise of beauty and solidarity but Loneliness is that single star I once spotted on a dark moonless night. It shows the right way, they said. That caused a profound sadness in me for reasons unknown. Now I know. A little.
What did he understand? Nothing. Where was he headed? Nowhere. What did he want? To know. What? A meaning. Why? A riddle.

There are definitions galore for life and each one of them carries the trace of bittersweet truth which is har
Ted
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ted by: Garima
The book is finished. But not the story.

All the pain, all the loneliness – Jake Blount, Doctor Copeland, Mick – and Singer – Carson has tied it all into a tiny little package, so small, almost a seed – and placed it into the reader, where it will now stay, maybe grow … but certainly stay. And perhaps blossom in the reader as it did in the observer Biff, who looked into the abyss. As I have. I move the book from the “currently reading” to the “read” shelf … and place a copy on one other shelf …
Duane
I have read 8 of Carson McCullers books, and like the rest of the world I agree that this is her best work. It sets a tone that I found prevailing in almost all of her books, a sad and melancholy outlook on life, and being a young and impressionable eccentric in 1940's small town Georgia, I can understand that. This is her masterpiece. It was made into a 1968 movie starring Alan Arkin and it is firmly placed in the list of best American novels.

Side note: Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017, will mark
Diane
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
This debut novel from Carson McCullers blew me away. She was 23 — only 23!! — when it was published in 1940, and her book is incredibly gorgeous and moving.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter follows a deaf man, John Singer, in a Georgia mill town in the 1930s. Singer is lonely after his one good friend, Spiros, is taken away to a mental hospital. Gradually, other people in the town come to regard Singer as a confidante, and we get involved in the lives of four people: tomboy Mick Kelly, who loves musi
Aubrey
Sing for the South, the Nation, the World Entire, for they know not what they do.

Sing for the man with the matted suit and pearl-rimmed tongue, the rustic know how and the fine edged intellectual gait, the words, the words, always the words. He walks with his heart bound in a lexicon and pinned upon his mouth, and where he walks he sees the terrible secret and cannot keep silent. Long ago he stripped from himself his measure of complacent comfort, and now he wanders in a naked anger, ever seekin
Cecily
Like most of McCullers stories, this is concerns lonely people living in the deep south. This one is set during WW2, told with strong musical currents (she had a place to study piano at the Julliard, and this shines through most of her work) and a radical passion against poverty and injustice.

The language is generally quite simple in terms of vocabulary and sentence length, yet the characters and events are all the more poetic and vivid for this apparent simplicity - a difficult literary trick
Diane Barnes
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
John Singer, the deaf/mute. Biff Bannon, the cafe owner. Dr. Copeland, the Negro doctor. Jake Blount, a drifter. And Mick Kelly, a 14 year old girl who hears beautiful music in her head and heart. These are our main players, each of them lonely and looking for someone to talk to, someone who will listen and maybe understand. They all talk incessantly to Mr. Singer, who can't hear them, and rarely understands. Mr. Singer can only talk with his hands, and then only to those who can understand sign ...more
Elyse Walters
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago -before being a member on Goodreads. (Just forgot to post any comments)--Thanks to 'Steve' for the inspiration of memory!

"The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" one those books that leaves a lasting tattoo on your heart forever!

Not only does it take place during the Great Depression -during times of racial injustice --
not only do we 'see-feel-touch-experience' loneliness through a character so profound deeper than most have ever been written--
--but it was 'THIS' novel where I lear
Michael Finocchiaro
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is a story of heartbreaking solitude and the brutal clash between dreams and reality. Biff in his New York Café, Mr Singer in his muteness, Mick in her Inside Room, and Dr Copeland in his sickness are all joined together by a longing, unrealized, to surpass their circumstances.
In Biff's words, "Why? Because in some men it is in them to give up everything personal at some time, before it ferments and poisons - throw it to some human being or some human idea. They hav
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013

Some people turn sad awfully young. No special reason, it seems, but they seem almost to be born that way. They bruise easier, tire faster, cry quicker, remember longer and, as I say, get sadder younger than anyone else in the world. I know, for I'm one of them.

That's a Ray Bradbury quote, from Dandelion Wine , but I feel it is an apt description of this very young author who seems to carry the whole weight of the world on her shoulders. How is it possible to have so intimate a knowledge of
Perry
The Painful Realities of Small Town Southern Life in 1930s

"Southerners are more lonely and estranged. I think because we have lived so long in an artificial social system that we insisted was natural and right and just--when all along we knew it wasn't." Carson McCullers

"I am a lone lorn creatur...and everythink goes contrairy with me." Mrs. Gummidge, David Copperfield.

This veracious Southern Gothic novel, with its common gothic staples of disfigurement, disease, brutality and mortality present
Vanessa
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a bunch of society’s outcasts become inexplicably drawn to and befriend a deaf mute. He becomes their sympathetic ear and confidante when each of them gain their own voice and this gives them all a glimmer of hope and a safe space for them to dream. The twist of irony makes this book tinged with so much sadness, the breakdown of society and the harmfulness of segregation, bigotry and the outcasting of the lost, lonely and displaced. 4 sad and lonely stars.
Chloe
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a darker To Kill A Mockingbird
Recommended to Chloe by: Charity
I find myself consistantly tongue-tied about this book. I've begun nearly four different reviews of this eminantly enjoyable read that have all petered away into nothingness as I try to put into words just what it was that gripped me about McCullers' opus. The first word I can think of is shock. Shock that I had heard next to nothing about this book until pulling it from my shelf. Shock that I have gone so long without it being assigned to me in a class or forced into my hands by a friend. Shock ...more
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Treasure Hunt: A Little Bill Book
  • Loving
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #1-3)
  • Appointment in Samarra
  • The Adventures of Augie March
  • Anna Karenina
  • Winesburg, Ohio
  • Under the Net
  • The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2)
  • A High Wind in Jamaica
Carson McCullers was an American who wrote fiction, often described as Southern Gothic, that explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the South.

From 1935 to 1937 she divided her time, as her studies and health dictated, between Columbus and New York and in September 1937 she married an ex-soldier and aspiring writer, Reeves McCullers. They began their married life in Charlotte,
“Next to music, beer was best.” 1446 likes
“Maybe when people longed for a thing that bad the longing made them trust in anything that might give it to them.” 392 likes