Start by marking “Pet Sematary” as Want to Read:
Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  374,454 ratings  ·  11,145 reviews
The road in front of Dr. Louis Creed's rural Maine home frequently claims the lives of neighborhood pets. Louis has recently moved from Chicago to Ludlow with his wife Rachel, their children and pet cat. Near their house, local children have created a cemetery for the dogs and cats killed by the steady stream of transports on the busy highway. Deeper in the woods lies anot ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Pocket Books (first published November 14th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Sematary, please sign up.
Jona Meow I am thirteen and I read it. Often I would stop and just think about death while reading, this novel especially focas's on that subject. Don't get me…moreI am thirteen and I read it. Often I would stop and just think about death while reading, this novel especially focas's on that subject. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I got kinda sad at times. I wouldn't let a ten year old read this let alone a friend my age. I hope this will help.(less)

·  374,454 ratings  ·  11,145 reviews

Start your review of Pet Sematary
Chelsea Humphrey
Wow. Just wow. I've put off reading this one for years because, well.... I'm a wimp. There, I said it. When one of the most well-known names in the contemporary era of the horror genre says something is his scariest book, I take note. It seems bizarre that I finally chose to tackle this one while having children the same age as Louis Creed's, it was precisely the perfect time to pick this up. I listened to almost the entire book over a 24-hour period while road-tripping, and the experience was unparalleled ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
While reading this book, all I that runs through my head is the song the Ramones made for the movie.

So, I'm going to link the video so all of you can have it running through your head as well! Kickin' it old school =)

Pet Sematary - The Ramones

Okay, let me just go ahead and say there will be **SPOILERS** for those that haven't read the book or seen the movie.

I have seen the movie about 6 million 5 hundred and 8 times. And I love it! T
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Cause what you buy, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you."

Louis Creed and his family have recently moved to the town of Ludlow, Maine. Behind their house there is a path that leads to a 'Pet Sematary', where the children of surrounding areas have buried their beloved pets in years gone by. Deeper in the woods there lies an ancient Indian burial ground, that Louis discovers has some sinister properties when their family cat dies...

It's no secret t
megs_bookrack
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this reread with my whole heart and soul!!!!

Classic King is my comfort place.
It's where I choose to live.

This beloved story was even more enjoyable the second time through!

When Dr. Louis Creed decides to move his growing family from Chicago to rural Maine, he could never guess how much that one decision could impact their lives.

Like another good 'doctor' before him, Victor Frankenstein, Louis is about to discover the hard way that...

Classic
Matthew
Two things about this book:

1. It is one of two Stephen King books I finished in one sitting (the other being The Dead Zone)
2. When I was a kid, I had to make sure the cover of this book was not facing out or I could not sleep. I didn't even like to look at it when I was awake!
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
That ending though...

This ended up being very different than what I expected. The less you know about it, the better!
Teodora
4.5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

Pet Sematary. Sematary. Isn’t it cute??

Okay, maybe not that cute if you consider the fact that some kids bury their dead pets in a sinister place and fulfil all kind of procedures meant for burying people, applying them on their pets. But you have to admit, the misspelling is adorable. So innocent.

I’ve read this book almost three years ago and I literally have no idea how I read this because I felt like I forgot a lot of important things about it. But thank the Almighty Divinity up there f⭐
Full
Carol
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes dead is better".................

KING calls Pet Sematary his scariest book, and I can understand why. It is super creepy and super "shocking" where he takes the reader, and his interesting prologue explaining how he came to write this unsettling tale brings a bit of truth to the story.

While truly a horror of a read, it is excellent in respect to its genre, but just awful too if that makes any sense. PS is not particularly gory, but definitely sad, sick, dark, and disgusting with more than one horribly "shocking" event that will blow youstory.

Whilebetter".................

Mario
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

2nd reading, and it still remains my favorite book that I've read so far.
_______________
Once upon a time when I was a child, I remember talking with my family about horror movies. Somebody asked what was the scariest movie you've watched, and my mom without thinking said 'Pet Sematary'. I remember laughing and saying 'How on earth could a movie nam
Justin Tate
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King's legacy will be vast, I have no doubt. We'll still read him hundreds of years from now, just as we have with Poe and Dickens and many others. Of all his master works, however, I take the somewhat unpopular stance that Pet Sematary is his magnum opus. Re-reading it now only confirms this opinion.

When I first read Pet Sematary (I couldn't have been older than 13) I knew right away that it was more than a typical scary story. For one, it made me feel decades older. Wiser.
Jojo
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I doubt that I'll ever have any other way of saying this, but after reading this book, my mind, is well and truly fucked. This book, and the story it tells, pushes the boundaries even for the sanest of individuals. It psychologically grips you, and Stephen King manages to get inside your head, rummage around a bit, and stay there, long after you've finished the book. But, that is what he wants, and that, is another reason why he is one of the greatest authors, that I have read to date.

Pet
Jeffrey Keeten
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”It’s probably wrong to believe there can be any limit to the horror which the human mind can experience. On the contrary, it seems that some exponential effect begins to obtain as deeper and deeper darkness falls—as little as one may like to admit it, human experience tends, in a good many ways, to support the idea that when the nightmare grows black enough, horror spawns horror, one coincidental evil begets other, often more deliberate evils, until finally blackness seems to cover everything. ...more
Ginger
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2018
I loved this book!
I’m so glad I finally read Pet Sematary! What a creepy book. The unease and anxiety just keeps building in this book and it's brutal!

I’ll have to be honest here.
(view spoiler) ...more
Gabby
I LOVED THIS. I read 300 pages of this book in ONE day which I never do anymore. This is my fifth book from Stephen King and it’s easily my favorite, so far it’s the only book of his I’ve given 5 stars. I am so impressed by how deep this story is, and how sad it is and the way it talks about grief. I actually made an entire reading vlog dedicated to this book and reacting to it so you can see all the rest of my thoughts here: https://youtu.be/2QKIYdXarLM
Vincent Kaprat
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be King's darkest book. If you're goth, read this and you'll be 5% goth'er.
Sr3yas
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read The Shining, my first Stephen King book back in summer of 2016 and was absolutely blown away by it. Since then I've been reading King's books religiously to find the next masterpiece that could push the limits of a sane mind. Well, It took me two years and eleven more King's books to find it, and on the way, I met many great contenders like Pennywise, Barlow and George Stark. But it was Pet Sematary and the horrors that paid a visit to the small family in Ludlow that finally won me over.

❝ The soil o
Matt
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, horror
Every Halloween, I like to do a little season’s readings. For most of the year, I generally avoid scary books and movies. Life is scary enough without looking for extra frights. But there’s something about the Fall. Once the wind gets sharp, the days get short, and the leaves start to drop, I inevitably find myself within a small window of time in which horror is appealing. This window closes abruptly at midnight on November 1. Before that time, though, I’m relatively open to the idea of being t ...more
ALet
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
★★★★★ /5

This is one of the best books I read this year.

Of course, the story is very well written and certainly creepy. At first, I personally thought that this book will be a little bit different, but actual content didn’t disappoint.
Justin Tate
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Merphy Napier
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, five-stars, adult
An incredible story with interesting characters and plot - but with a very intentional focus on exploring the painful and raw emotion of grief. King dissects grief and a way that exposes the reader and really helped me to process my own. Phenomenal story
Peter
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Since I recently watched the remake of the 80s film I had to re-read Pet Sematary again. A decision I didn't regreat. It is a phenomenally good book that grew in my opinion over the years (I actually read it for the first time in the 80s). On the one hand you have numerous excellent horror elements (the cemetery, the Wendigo, Zelda and those coming back from that place, like Church or Gadge). On the other hand it describes in a relentless way what happens if man plays God and tries to resurrect ...more
Alejandro
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, paranormal, novel
A truly spooky story!!!

NEVER PLAY WITH THE BEYOND

I was familiarized with the story since I have watched several times the 1998's film adaptation, but I hadn't properly read the original novel and since it's already announced a new film adaptation for April next year (2019), I thought that it was about time to read the book.

Certainly it's one of the scariest books by Stephen King, in my humble opinion, not only due the main topic but mainly due the characters involved and their interactions.
Raeleen Lemay
Daaaang that was a good one. Highly recommend the audiobook read by Michael C. Hall 👌🏼
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
These characters should have taken a lesson from the old story “The Monkey’s Paw,” seriously.

This is the book that really convinced me that hardcore horror novels are not for me. At all.

I can't remember if I was already the mother of a toddler when I read this. Those final scenes from the book have seeped into my psyche. Like the last hundred or so pages of Outlander, these are images that are permanently part of my brain, that I really wish I'd never put there.

The two stars are in recognition of
Sandeep
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow! What a book! This is Stephen King at his very best. A true horror masterpiece.

Pet Sematary by was totally not what I expected. Maybe that’s because I’d never seen the film adaptations, and so of the little King fiction I’ve read so far, I was going into this one completely blind. I legit thought it was going to be about a bunch of dead animals being resurrected and not being thrilled about it.

As with all of King’s novels, Pet Sematary is about so much more than just a typical tale of horror. It explor
Zoeytron
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long and winding road runs by the home of Louis Creed and his family.  That road is not friendly, it could even be classified as hungry.  Pure silliness, of course.  Or is it?  The pet sematary is situated in the woods close by.  The deadfall that looms behind it is treacherous, ominous, and better left alone.  What lies on the other side?  The painful loss of a beloved pet or a child cannot be measured.  What if there is a way for a do-over?  This is a tale of a man's descent into madness.  ...more
Nikki
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was absolutely terrifying, especially because it somehow seemed so real.
While reading, I was constantly guessing how the whole thing was supposed to end, because I really couldn't come up with a possible and fitting solution. But of course, Stephen King knew what to do! He left so much room for an individual interpretation, which is why this is one of my favorite endings to a book ever.

I talk about how much I love King's writing style in every single of my reviews of one of his books, so I won't
Edward Lorn
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pet Sematary Review (Kinda) I know this review is long, but I have a personal story to tell. Read it if you want to, but the simple fact of the matter is that this book is awesome. If you haven't read it, stop fucking about.

When I was ten years old, my mother and her best friend Andrita took a trip to the local drive-in to catch a showing of Pet Sematary. My father was out with his own buddies, so guess who got to tag along? Yup, me. My mother told me to go to sleep in the back seat
Book vs. Movie: Pet Sematary 101 774 Nov 08, 2019 04:50PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 Nov 02, 2019 11:42AM

• Thinner
  • The Long Walk
  • The Exorcist
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • NOS4A2
  • Dracula
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Roadwork
  • The Running Man
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • Rage
  • The Regulators
  • Horns
“Sometimes dead is better” 329 likes
“And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.” 211 likes