Start by marking “The Lovely Bones” as Want to Read:
The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,784,461 Ratings  ·  38,247 Reviews
On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.
Published September 1st 2006 by Random House (first published July 3rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Lovely Bones, please sign up.
Serra Nope. It seemed to have been written to be a story of agony and hopelessness. As such, it wins, it also is not my kind of story. I had to read it when…moreNope. It seemed to have been written to be a story of agony and hopelessness. As such, it wins, it also is not my kind of story. I had to read it when I was working at the bookstore, but beyond that, I had no interest in it. (less)
Anna This is another book from the list "100 Books You Should Read Before You Die." Many of those are "slow-starters". I felt it with this one too, but…moreThis is another book from the list "100 Books You Should Read Before You Die." Many of those are "slow-starters". I felt it with this one too, but remembered there must be something great about it to be on that list. So I kept reading and I am very glad. Touches on family relationships, the way different people grieve, and how life goes on.

Do read it, you won't be sorry.(less)

Sep 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: enemies
The Lovely Bones has got to be the most baffling, poorly written, jaw-droppingly bad book that I have ever set my eyes on. It is truly a black, black tragedy that the words in this book were placed in that particular order, published, and distributed. How could this have ever possibly been popular? Is it for the same reason that the song “My Humps” hit number one? I mean, I don’t technically believe in burning books, but this novel really got me thinking. About burning it.

If it serves any use at
Seth T.
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
Shelves: bookclub
Lee
Jun 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest first 30 pages ever. The worst rest.
KT
Jan 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who subscribe to Readers' Digest without any sense of irony
Haaaaaated it. I am one of those OCD literary nerds who takes on a war bunker mentality with books that I've started and dislike: "I will see this through to the end."
For "The Lovely Bones," I made an exception.
Somewhere, sometime, someone told Sebold she could write. That person should be made to apologize to me, in person, and to all other poor souls who were duped into buying this shlock.
The literary press also needs to break out the cattails for a serious bout of flogging. Lev Grossman of
Carolynn
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I worked at Borders for more than a year and I worked the boring ass registers, usually at night whic was always slow. I leaned there with my chin in my hand staring at the shelves actually wishing that I could help customers in their purchases. It's purely insane, but I think that's what happens anytime you place someone in any kind of confinement. The thing is that if I wasn't a register girl, I would have constant actual contact with the books themselves.

All lunacy aside, one book that I sta
Ana
“Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf. When I was little my father would pull me into his lap and reach for the snow globe. He would turn it over, letting all the snow collect on the top, then quickly invert it. The two of us watched the snow fall gently around the penguin. The penguin was alone in there, I thought, and I worried for him. When I told my father this, he said, "Don't worry, Susie; he has a nice life. He's trapped in ...more
Lola
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, ghosts, death, family

The moment I finished The Lovely Bones, I let out a long, slow and heavy breath.

Because that was some damn satisfying ending.

I strongly believe that if you go into this book thinking it will be creepy, scary, mysterious, fast-paced and full of shocking revelations, you will be tempted to put it aside after the first sixty pages.

It’s not only about the pedophilia, rape or murder. It’s not only about catching the killer. And it’s definitely not only about punishing Mr. Harvey for what he did.

The
Ted
Jul 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
Claire Greene
Apr 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This book has single handedly shown me that I spend too much time skimming and not enough time really reading and thinking about the books I have been reading. I have two kids and so I'm busy and I often find myself reading when I am stealing time or tired. But that is not even an excuse for this book. When i read the book I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but not bad. I liked the concept and the fact that the girl was the narrator. I like a murder mystery, so I liked the suspense of wait ...more
Diane
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! a detailed storyline of a tragic death through violence...then overcoming it by first acceptance then letting go and also moving on in life...survival was another...really good writing (paperback!)
Amanda
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Passionate, touched-by-life types
Recommended to Amanda by: I've heard OF it, so bought it when I found it on the shelf @ Ed McKay
I can't review this book by thinking about the plot or about theme and diction, for it is only (and truly) a series of snapshots, candid and sore, that piece together the lives of living people. The delicate sweet soul of a father; a grandmother with the heart of an empath; a sister whose youth and adulthood travel arm in arm; a numb and emptied mother; a young girl then grown woman living pierced on the periphery. This book is about the people in my life and yours whose very essence is pinned d ...more
Emily May
After hearing all the hype about this book, I couldn't wait to read it and discover how amazing it is for myself. I was greatly disappointed.

How has this book become such a worldwide success? It's slow, boring and there is no real connection with any of the characters. I found myself disliking everyone in the book.
The overall idea could have been very good, even though it isn't exactly original, but I just thought the author didn't make the most of this great idea that she had. The best part of
Bill  Kerwin

This is a fine novella which some enterprising editor persuaded Sebold to transform into a novel. And the novel is not a good one, featuring unbelievable twists and turns and a super creepy ending (but not super creepy in a good way) reminiscent of the movie "Ghost."

My advice: read the first third and stop. If I had done that, I might have given it four stars.
Steven
Jun 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
This was the book that made me realise the serious flaw in the theory that if lots of people you see on the tube are reading a book, it must be good. I would say with some confidence that this is the worst book I've ever read in my entire life.

The only thing that kept me going to the end was sheer bloody-mindedness; a determination not to be defeated by any book no matter how brain-deflatingly awful it is. That said, the endless cloying sentimentality in this almost made me throw it in the bin o
Luffy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. I had high hopes with this book. Anyway, though the author doesn't owe me anything, I did feel cheated of my hours invested in The Lovely Bones.

Thematically, the book is a mess. The questions we have, both about events in heaven and on earth are left unanswered. I also found myself getting a bit depressed. I usually am like that whenever I read a bad book.

But this time I got depressed because I was reading the Lovely Bones. Death is a pitiless side of our cognition, but th
tee
Jan 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people wishing to ponder their views on heaven (and good writing)
Shelves: i-own, bbc-big-read
Ahmad Sharabiani
The lovely bones, Alice Sebold
The Lovely Bones is a 2002 novel by American writer Alice Sebold. It is the story of a teenage girl who, after being raped and murdered, watches from her personal Heaven as her family and friends struggle to move on with their lives while she comes to terms with her own death. The novel received much critical praise and became an instant bestseller. A film adaptation, directed by Peter Jackson, who personally purchased the rights, was released in 2009.
تاریخ نخستین خ
Patrick
Jul 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Kim
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Michelle, Valerie
Wow. I'm surprised that there was so much animosity towards this book (from the reviews here on Good Reads). Even if I didn't like it, I don't think I'd find so much in it to HATE it. The approach is different, which some might call trite or some call imaginative. I think I just liked Susie. She spoke what was on her mind, the perspective was fresh and the subject wasn't typical. Maybe this was a product of hype? I hadn't heard of it until a few friends recommended it to me last week. It took me ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I’m finally free of this book
Jason Koivu
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well that wasn't a happy happy good time...

The Lovely Bones is going to be difficult to review without spoilers, so if you haven't read it yet I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to leave, m'kay?

Why am I not surprised to learn that Alice Sebold was raped at a young age? Because only someone who'd been through something as horrific as that would write a book like this. I'm not just talking about the subject matter, but rather the tone. Everything about this book is a victim's silent scream. Su
Orsodimondo
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
A SANGUE FREDDO
Susie Salmon, salmone proprio come il pesce, ha 14 anni quando il vicino di casa, la sequestra, stupra e fa a pezzi.

description
Susie-Saorsie Ronan nel film omonimo di Peter Jackson, 2009.

Comincia subito così, questa storia horror che sa diventare molto altro: thriller, introspezione, tenerezza… per certi versi il più strano coming-of-age che abbia letto.
La perdita, l’assenza, il dolore diventano i temi più della detection, del giallo.

description
Il padre-Mark Wahlberg.

Perché a raccontare tutto è propri
Jessica
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
"These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections – sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at a great cost, but often magnificent – that happened after I was gone."

I hardly ever read books when they are first released. I always seem to be a few years behind, for whatever reason. Sometimes this works to my advantage, as it allows me to avoid a degree of hype that surrounds certain books. I do remember seeing the blue cover of The Lovely Bones on shelves in every bookstore
S C Tisdale
Sep 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: retards
Councillor
Several years have passed since the publication of Alice Sebold's most famous novel, but back when it was released, The Lovely Bones hit the literary world in a perhaps surprising way. Bluntly dealing with the effects of a young girl's rape and murder and her family's reactions, Alice Sebold uses interesting writing techniques to delve into different viewpoints and point out the enormous impact of such a horrifying family disaster.

In case you haven't read this book yet, it is easy to enter it wi
Suyana
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people you want to let out a good cry
"The Lovely Bones," had me crying from start to finish. This book is extremely emotion packed. But this book was interestingly written because it's from the point of view from a girl who was murdered. The book starts like this: "My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." Already you want to read it; right? You follow the life that this young girl once had as she tells you about the memories she had, the things she learned, and t ...more
Megs ♥

Let me start this off by saying that I really wanted to like this book. Although the subject of a little girl being brutally raped and murdered is extremely disturbing I thought it would be interesting to read about her in the afterlife as she watched her family try to solve her murder.

There is not much that I can even say without giving things away, but I did not like this book at all. I still had about 50 pages to go before I stopped reading this, and I may go back and finish it, but for now I
Fiona
Jul 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Richard Derus
Rating: 2.75* of five

The Publisher Says: The Lovely Bones is the story of a family devastated by a gruesome murder -- a murder recounted by the teenage victim. Upsetting, you say? Remarkably, first-time novelist Alice Sebold takes this difficult material and delivers a compelling and accomplished exploration of a fractured family's need for peace and closure.

The details of the crime are laid out in the first few pages: from her vantage point in heaven, Susie Salmon describes how she was confront
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

THE LOVELY BONES will haunt you. This book tells the story of the most horrific thing a family could ever endure, the murder of a loved one, a child.

The child is 14-year-old Susie Salmon. We see the murder through her eyes, after she is killed. Susie narrates her story from heaven, a place like I'd not before imagined. Her heaven begins as her school playground. Slowly it grows to become more. Susie merely longs for something she misses from earth
Great American Re...: Lavan's bookshelf 46 43 Nov 09, 2018 11:12AM
Great American Re...: * November 2018—THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Sebold 21 15 Nov 07, 2018 04:38PM
Never found the body and Weird Switching Scene 38 805 Aug 20, 2018 08:20PM
Around the Year i...: The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold 12 79 Jul 06, 2018 08:02AM
Play Book Tag: [LISTOPIA] The Lovely Bones - 2 Stars 9 23 Jun 11, 2018 09:31PM
  • Back Roads
  • Five Quarters of the Orange
  • My Name Is Memory
  • Drowning Ruth
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • Drinking: A Love Story
  • The Poisonwood Bible
  • Me & Emma
Alice Sebold is an American writer. She has published three books: Lucky (1999), The Lovely Bones (2002), and The Almost Moon (2007).

“Sometimes the dreams that come true are the dreams you never even knew you had.” 1433 likes
“Nothing is ever certain.” 786 likes