Start by marking “Neverwhere” as Want to Read:
Neverwhere

Neverwhere (London Below, The World of Neverwhere)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  301,427 Ratings  ·  15,665 Reviews
Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindnes
Hardcover, First Edition, 337 pages
Published July 1997 by Avon Books (first published September 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Neverwhere, please sign up.

Alexis Gamboa Yes, it is called The Seven Sisters he is in the process of writing it currently.

cookiemonger The author's preferred text is lightly revised (more like added to, really) and also available in audio. I don't think the differences are major, but…moreThe author's preferred text is lightly revised (more like added to, really) and also available in audio. I don't think the differences are major, but the many small additions to the text are quite good, in my opinion. Not to the point that you should read both editions, but I would recommend seeking out the preferred text.(less)

Steve
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I should have. I kept distracting myself with the thought, "Why the hell haven't I read more of Neil Gaiman's books?" Then I would have to tell myself to shut up, because I'm reading one right now, and I can return to berating myself later.

Neil Gaiman really understands fantasy. He understands that it isn't elves dancing in a forest and drunk dwarves mining for gold with improbably well maintained beards. No, fantasy is a reflection of reality, but fantastic.
Rick Riordan
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so people have been telling me to read Neil Gaiman for ages. They assume I've read American Gods because the premise is similar to the Percy Jackson series. Well, I still haven't read American Gods, but I did pick up Neverwhere in the Heathrow airport and read it on the way back home. I enjoyed it a lot. Great fantasy, wonderful sense of humor. I can understand why Gaiman is so popular. I'll have to look up his other books.
Nataliya
Neverwhere was my first real introduction to the world of urban fantasy - a clever take on Alice in Wonderland, one can say, set in the semi-magical, unsubtly dangerous, and quite fantastically warped world of 'London Below'.
"Young man," he said, "understand this: there are two Londons. There's London Above - that's where you lived - and then there's London Below - the Underside - inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them. Good night."

Neverwhere is
Kat Kennedy
I first started reading this book and honestly wanted to just chuck it in the bin. I said very mean things about the protagonist under my breath.

Surely, I said, a Protagonist means that they are pro and totally into furthering the story. Surely, Protagonist is the similar to Proactive and Productive.

I was wrong. The word Protagonist, in its basic form is not similar to proactive. It simply, from the Greek plays, means the principle character or the first speaking character.

However, I maintain th
Lyn
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neverwhere!

Upon beginning a review of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman my first thoughts were to write that even a bad Gaiman novel was better than most other authors best work.

But this is unfair, Neverwhere is not a “bad” novel at all.

Compared to Stardust or Anansi Boys, or especially the masterpiece American Gods, it lacks the epic presence and may even be categorized as one of Gaiman’s lesser works.

What is present, though, is Gaiman’s phenomenal writing, his brilliant and original imagination and
Petrik
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

Whether you’ve read his book or not, there is a high chance that you have heard of the name Neil Gaiman if you’re a reader and most people probably loved his works. Let’s just say I finally knew why. I knew about him since 2009 from watching the movie Coraline which I loved and turns out it was based on a book written by him and that movie shocked the crap out of me cause it so imaginative and scary at times, I thought it would be a family movie. Fast forward 8 years later and here I
James
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Shelves: fantasy
Picture Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Really good books right? Now imagine if someone took the first book and mad libbed characters, settings, monsters, etc, so that you were left with the exact same story except instead of travelling the galaxy with your crazy friend and the most powerful man in the universe, you were travelling in haunted British sewers with a nerd's wet dream of a Xena warrior princess rival and a Gothic princess who can unlock doors (sigh). I don't think there is much o ...more
Scarlet
Dear Book,

Why did you get over so soon?? Why did you get over at all?? :(

I could have spent many more hours exploring those underground tunnels in the company of those wonderful people, and reveling in the amazing things that some of them - especially marquis de Carabas - had to say.

I could have spent many more days reading and re-reading those delightfully formed sentences, laughing at the intelligent absurdity of it even when not-so-scary villains were doing not-so-pretty things.

I could have s
Fabian
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mean guy inside of me is completely against my giving this book a four-out-of-five instead of a 3 star rating, but the good guy/casual reader wins out! Hey. C'mon, give me a break. This is Neil Gaiman: He's not one of Stephen King's favorites for nothing!

Incredibly short, seemingly dippy sentences make up this whimsical phantasmagoria-- more Hollywood script/ graphic novel than novel outright. Gaiman mixes and mashes myths & monsters all for this tight, devious yarn. It must be said that
P
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Beware of Doors.”

Neverwhere reminded me of Alice in Wonderland with a darker setting. The lead character is an adult confronting a world that he's never known before. The concept of Neverwhere is easily understandable even though the narrative is multi-layered and complicated. Why not ? This is exactly an urban fantasy novel without young adult materials, but Gaiman managed to throw some little things that we're so accustomed to, such as London, the lousy villains, the wise hero and MAGIC.

Th
Carmen
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Richard had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.

This is a very well-written and predictable book by Neil Gaiman.

Richard is an office drone.

Of course he is.

And he's dating a go-getting, beautiful woman who doesn't love him for what he is, but sees "potential" and dreams about the man she can turn him into. You know the type. Scarlett Johansson from DON JON.

And he's miserable, but pretends he's happy becaus
James
3 of 5 stars to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, a fantasy full of quirky characters and commentary on society, published in 1996. This was another book group selection (not mine), but by someone who has very good taste in books.

I'd never read Gaiman before, but he seems to be immensely popular. We read it in 2009, many years after it first hit print, but still at the cusp of my interest in fantasy books. I think it was too much of a fantasy for me, as I tend to need some rules or boundaries, and I cou
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“There are four simple ways for the observant to tell Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar apart: first, Mr. Vandemar is two and a half heads taller than Mr. Croup; second, Mr. Croup has eyes of a faded china blue, while Mr. Vandemar’s eyes are brown; third, while Mr. Vandemar fashioned the rings he wears on his right hand out of the skulls of four ravens, Mr. Croup has no obvious jewelery; fourth, Mr. Croup likes words, while Mr. Vandemar is always hungry. Also, they look nothing at all alike.”

Mr. Croup
Madeline
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
God damn it, Goodreads, when are you going to let me use half-star ratings? You had enough time to make those hideous green "want to read" tabs next to every damn book in my newsfeed; could you please throw me a bone and stop confining me to full stars? I demand half stars, Goodreads. Particularly for this review, because three stars seems unfairly low, and four stars is a bit much.

Neverwhere is early Gaiman (published in 1996), and it shows. You can see him working on the formula that would ma
Traveller

*7/10 spangly shooting stars

A contemporary urban fantasy novel in typical slightly off-beat Gaiman style. It's mainly a portal fantasy (the kind where you go from the "everyday" world to a "special" world through some kind of portal, as with Alice in Wonderland, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Magician's Nephew, Harry Potter Boxset, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Fionavar Tapestry, etc.). The 'alternate world' (the world where Londoners who "fall through the cracks" go), has the sett
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Neverwhere is one of those books that answers the 'what if' question about the city in which you live your days, going through your admittedly 'mundane' routines. In this case, London. What if there was a London Below, a strange world which consists of Underground railways, tunnels, sewers, and sometimes uncannily parallels the London that the average inhabitant thought they knew but didn't, and in a way that seems a lot more interesting? It's a scary place, not terribly clean and sanitary. But ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, August 12, 2017. Neil Gaiman's fantasy about a dark, magical London underworld, which exists side by side with our world, left me with mixed feels. The setting is marvelous and fantastical, and Gaiman does a great job creating it. The plot, though, about an ordinary working man who extends compassion to an injured stranger and, as a result, unexpectedly finds himself up to his neck in this strange and dangerous magical world, was forgettable, at least for me.

I read this four
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I've not read as much of Neil Gaiman's work as I would have liked to by this point in my life, and so I thought I would fix that with one of his stand alone novels.

Neverwhere follows the story of Richard Mayhew, who after a show of good Samaritanism finds himself accidentally in the world of London Below. It's just like London Above (a.k.a. our world), except for everyone and everything in London Below is probably trying to kill you. It's also very dark.

There is honestly
Markus
”There are two Londons. There's London Above―that's where you lived―and then there's London Below―the Underside―inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them.”

What if there is a secret underworld hidden in the dark below the busy, noisy streets of London? What if Earl’s Court is truly the court of an earl and the name of Angel station derives from a real angel? On a fortuitous night Richard Mayhew finds a mysterious young girl wounded in an alley, and i
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: subway commuters - Neil Gaiman and Urban Fantasy fans
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Ulrike Conrad
Pure indulgence, the sort of book to tuck in with on a cold wet weekend. Again I'm trying out a new genre - for my 1st shot at ‘urban fantasy’ I picked this one, it's Gaiman’s solo debut. A premise that hooked because it made perfect sense to me. I mean anyone who’s taken a subway alone late at night, who’s glanced nervously down the track into a damp tunnel dimly lit by flickering lights would agree - if there IS a one-way portal to a subterranean world that’s where it's most likely to be...Plu ...more
Char
Neverwhere (The Author's Preferred Version) read by Neil Gaiman.

What can I say? The author's narration of this book just made a great thing even greater. Listening to this was sublime. That is all.
Michael
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this was just the right balance of whimsy and mythological drama. A fun urban fantasy refreshingly free of vampires and werewolves. There is real elegance how it hooks you in and takes you on a wild ride. The heroes are minimally sketched ciphers the readers are invited to project themselves into. They take shape mainly from their quests: Richard wants to get back his ordinary boring life; Door wants to avenge the murder of her family; Hunter wants to kill the Great Beast of London. They ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
It was a good book. I'm glad I have read it. Gaiman created a fantastic world. But for me, something is missing to give it a higher grade. And the biggest problem I have with the book is that the characters felt a bit flat. I just didn't care much for anyone of them. A great book makes you care about the characters, suffer with them all the way, and mourn for them if something happens. It just didn't happen with me with this book.
foteini_dl
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
21 χρόνια απ’ το Neverwhere,ε;Ο Gaiman ξέρει να χτίζει γοητευτικά επικίνδυνους (ή επικίνδυνα γοητευτικούς) κόσμους.Ας πούμε,εδώ δημιούργησε ένα σκοτεινό,υπόγειο Λονδίνο με ανθρώπους (και πλάσματα) περίεργους και τρομαχτικούς.
Τέλειο.Βέβαια,δεν μπορώ να είμαι απόλυτα αντικειμενική,μιας και απ’ τα λίγα βιβλία του συγγραφέα που έχω διαβάσει,μπορώ να πω ότι τον λατρεύω. Επίσης,συνειδητοποιώ ότι ο Gaiman ώρες-ώρες μου θυμίζει τον Woody Allen.Ακόμα πιο τέλεια.Δηλαδή,έχει τις δικές του εμμονές/νευρώσεις
Kristijan
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NIKADOĐIJA, ili kako sam putovao u okviru tuđeg putovanja

Za početak pokušaću da se uzdržim od svih onih superlativa koje sam imao u ustima i na umu dok sam okretao poslednji list ove knjige... i pokušaću da napišem zašto ovu knjigu mora, naglašavam MORA da pročita svako ko voli dobru priču, dobru bajku ali i dobro putovanje.

Dakle, da počnemo...
Postoji ovaj jedan svet u kome živimo. Kažu da postoje i ona dva... Jedan gore i jedan dole i da ćemo jednoga dana svojim očima videti jedan od njih (p p
Sofia
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Πριν ξεκινήσω να περιγράφω τις εντυπώσεις που μου προκάλεσε το μυθιστόρημα του Neil Gaiman, Ποτέ και πουθενά (Εκδόσεις Ίκαρος, 2017), οφείλω να εξομολογηθώ ότι δεν είχα ακούσει ποτέ μέχρι τότε ούτε τον συγγραφέα, ούτε το έργο του. Αυτό σημαίνει ότι η όποια σχέση αναπτύχθηκε ανάμεσα σε μένα και αυτό το βιβλίο χτίστηκε σελίδα-σελίδα σε αυτή την πρώτη ανάγνωση

Ξεκινώντας λοιπόν, ο Gaiman μας παρουσιάζει τον Ρίτσαρντ, ο οποίος έχει πρόσφατα μετακομίσει στο Λονδίνο και ζει μία καθ’ όλα φυσιολογική ζωή
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Richard Mayhew is an ordinary young man working in London, with a fiancee, Jessica, a small flat and a life more-or-less figured out. By Jessica. He's not a particularly brave man, or imaginative, and Jessica has his life all sorted for him.

Everything in his life is turned upside-down - quite literally - when he stumbles across an injured girl on the footpath who asks for his help. Despite Jessica's insistence that he leave her there for someone else to take care of, he carries her back to his
Paul Nelson
"Things to do. People to damage"

The audio of Neverwhere narrated by Neil himself was one of my last books of the year but definitely ranks up there as one of my favourites of the year if not all-time.

As a narrator Neil Gaiman is something quite special, the different characters are easily distinguishable and I was left hanging on every word by a truly accomplished story-teller and perfect teller of stories.

I won't go into the plot detail, the books nearly 20 years old and its all been done a m
Ronyell
Neverwhere

“Imagine living in a world where you think that everything has become familiar to you, but then you realize that there is a different world far beyond the one you know.”

I have not read much of Neil Gaiman’s books geared towards adults, until I first read “American Gods,” which was a book that I enjoyed intensely. But now, I have a new favorite from Neil Gaiman’s books geared towards adults and that is “Neverwhere!” Full of adventure, horror and romance, “Neverwhere” is certainly one of Neil Ga
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Looking for Jake
  • Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • Der Schrecksenmeister (Zamonien, #5)
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • War for the Oaks
  • The Land of Laughs
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves

London Below, The World of Neverwhere (2 books)
  • The Seven Sisters (London Below, #2)

“You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not.” 1165 likes
“He had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.” 1061 likes