Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2010-08 - Literature - What will you read in August?

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 90 comments Everyone has a different opinion on what Literature is - what will you be reading? Something that is beyond dispute or something that is up for challenge as "literature"?

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 16, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2691 comments Mod
Good question, Cathy. Literature is such a subjective term. I went to the shelf and had read about 2/3 of the stuff of the first page already, but I did manage to come up with a LONG list. Here is what I will attempt:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
The Zahir by Paulo Coelho
The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries: New Expanded Edition by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2739 comments Mod
I found several dozen from my TBR on this shelf before I stopped looking.

Here's my best guess right now:
Little Women
Tom Sawyer audiobook if I don't finish listening to it in July for History

From my You Choose Challenge list:
The Outsiders
Maus II
Labyrinths
The Kite Runner

But who knows ... with a category like this, there's no telling what books might call to me.

message 4: by Kyler (new)

Kyler (kylerkirby) Lyn M wrote: "Good question, Cathy. Literature is such a subjective term. I went to the shelf and had read about 2/3 of the stuff of the first page already, but I did manage to come up with a LONG list. Here ..."

The Curious Incident of the Dog is a FANTASTIC book! I would highly recommend it!! It's a little easier to read since it is from the viewpoint of an Autistic 15 year old, but it is a book that I'll never forget. It's also useful if you want to learn more about the habits and mannerisms of an Autistic teen.

message 5: by Blarneygod (last edited Aug 25, 2010 03:50PM) (new)

Blarneygod | 181 comments I am starting school in August... so I should concentrate on reading my text books... but here is my too read list for August anyway:

Green Eggs and Ham
Year of Wonders

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Aug 28, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) I will be sticking with books from the monthly shelf that also fit both my You Choose challenge and a challenge I am wrapping up for another group. That leaves me with:

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood
Yume No Hon: The Book of Dreams by Catherynne M. Valente
Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley

Maybe:
The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

Regarding your questions, Cathy:
I personally use the term "literature" broadly, meaning writing - both fiction and non-fiction - in general. I tend toward the Wikipedia definition: "Literature,(from Latin littera letter), is the art of written works. Literally translated, the word means acquaintance with letters (as in the "Arts and Letters"). In Western culture the most basic written literary types include fiction and nonfiction."

I use the term "literary fiction" to specifically describe fiction that can not really be sorted into a particular genre or subset and which often has a high level of general quality and potential cultural significance - something that goes beyond simple entertainment. Again, Wikipedia defines: "Literary fiction is a term that has come into common usage since around 1960, principally to distinguish serious fiction (that is, work with claims to literary merit) from the many types of genre fiction and popular fiction (i.e., paraliterature). In broad terms, literary fiction focuses more on style, psychological depth, and character, the plot may or may not be important. Mainstream commercial fiction focuses more on narrative and plot."

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I am going to start with To Kill a Mockingbird and see where that takes me. My reading pace has slowed considerably in the last 6-8 months.

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Oh my gosh, is it that time already?

Okay.

The Stranger
Anna Karenina
The Name of the Rose: Including Postscript
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Oryx and Crake

This is probably overly ambitious. There are just so many good ones!

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Today I finally STARTED reading history for July. Argh. I haven't even begun to look at the list for August, but from what I see listed as choices, this isn't a list that I am unfamiliar with and I will be reading within my comfort zone for sure.

message 11: by BJ Rose (last edited Aug 15, 2010 04:18PM) (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments I'm going to be realistic and say that I'll read two books from the following list:

* Beowulf - August 13
* Daisy Miller - August 11
The Name of the Rose: Including Postscript
The Grapes of Wrath
Pride and Prejudice
The Count of Monte Cristo

message 12: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (Lmsindel) What a shelf. I have chosen the following books to be on my list, but since I am starting at the top and that book is HUGE, I probably won't get any further.

Nicholas Nickleby
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Help
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
and

Valley of the Dolls

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I have read a lot of books from this shelf already and have a lot still to go so it's been tricky picking which ones to go with.

I'm going to try for these to start:
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott
The Trial by Franz Kafka

Then I'll see what I can find at the library

message 14: by Lauren (last edited Jul 30, 2010 01:12PM) (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I am starting a book that has been on my TBR pile for years. Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley is surprisingly (or not) on the literature shelf!

I have been avoiding it since I have heard such disapointing reviews. I picked it up at a garage sale for $0.50

message 16: by Christy (last edited Aug 07, 2010 11:03PM) (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I got overly ambitious with the History shelf this month by choosing to attempt The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire which ended up being even more of a challenge than anticipated. As a result I ended up not finishing anything on the shelf! This month I'm going to stick to books I already own on my TBR shelf. Hopefully I'll be more successful. It looks like quite a few of the books I own are on this shelf so I'll try to read as many of my list as possible.

Northanger Abbey
The Time Traveler's Wife
Water for Elephants
The Chronicles of Narnia
The History of Love
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Neverwhere
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
The Art of Racing in the RainThe Witch of Portobello
The Patron Saint of Liars
The Forgotten Garden
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

message 17: by Pollyanna (last edited Aug 18, 2010 01:56AM) (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) | 94 comments I've had such a busy last 2 months moving house but I'm hoping to get back into the shelf picks :)

A long list here but I'll see what I can get through:

Lord of the Flies
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Catch-22
Dracula
The Alchemist
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Mrs. Dalloway
In Cold Blood

message 18: by J. Travis (last edited Aug 20, 2010 05:58PM) (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments I'm busy teaching summer school but I hope to read one or more of the following books from my to-read shelf, which are also shelved in literature:

In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower by Marcel Proust
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder**** 8/20
A Hole in Texas: A Novel by Herman Wouk** 8/15
Atemschaukel by Herta Müller

I've decided not to cheat by listing books I assign for my history class but have read before like The Iliad and Beowulf: A New Verse Translation.

J. Travis - What, no Jane Austen, LOL. Only kidding!

message 20: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Sweet action! I just got a copy of The Passage from the library, and it's actually on the literature shelf! *happy dance*

message 21: by Ceinwin (new)

Ceinwin I'm gonna be modest for my first month and pick 2 books:
-The Help by Kathryn Stockett
-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

message 23: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments I've been slow to make my list as well!

* Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
* The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - although honestly, what are the chances I'll actually finish this one in August?? :)

message 24: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Luann wrote: "I've been slow to make my list as well!

* Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
* The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - although honestly,..."

How much free time do you have? :) I am a teacher so this month is when I start getting all ambitious about getting ready for school and doing a whole bunch of stuff. I don't know if I will get all of mine read.

All of my picks are also on my "You Choose" challenge list. That's allowed right?

message 25: by Susan (new)

Crystal wrote: ... How much free time do you have? :) I am a teacher so this month is when I start getting all ambitious about getting ready for school and doing a whole bunch of stuff. I don't know if I will get all of mine read.

Isn't that the truth! I have tomorrow, then one more week, and then my nearly-a-book-a-day habit is suddenly going to become a-book-a-week-if-I'm-lucky. :)

message 26: by Tara (last edited Aug 11, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am definitely going to get to The Alchemist, but I am not sure what else I will get too.
I am also going to read The School of Essential Ingredients in. I will also add books that may fall on the shelf as I go.

The House at Riverton may have to wait for another month. Too many books I got to get to before school starts.

The Alchemist should be easy Tara. It is only 167 pages. I finished it in one day!

message 28: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lyn M wrote: "The Alchemist should be easy Tara. It is only 167 pages. I finished it in one day!"
Just need to get the book. LOL. I keep forgetting to pick it up when I go to the library.
The House at Riverton is a bit more daunting, but I have heard good things.

It looks good. BTW - I thought The Alchemist was really good.

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have read one of Paulo Coelho's other books, The Witch of Portobello and I liked it. I don't know why it has taken me so long to get to this one. Now is as good a time as any.

message 31: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Tara wrote: "I have read one of Paulo Coelho's other books, The Witch of Portobello and I liked it. I don't know why it has taken me so long to get to this one. Now is as good a time as any."

I really enjoyed The Alchemist way more than I expected. What I liked even better though was Veronika Decides to Die.

message 32: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Crystal wrote: "How much free time do you have? :)"

Not nearly enough! I'm a school librarian and school starts on Monday. Where did the summer go???

message 33: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Crystal wrote: "All of my picks are also on my "You Choose" challenge list. That's allowed right?"

Most definitely!!

message 34: by J. Travis (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments Luann wrote: "Crystal wrote: "How much free time do you have? :)"

Not nearly enough! I'm a school librarian and school starts on Monday. Where did the summer go???"

School starts Monday, August 9th?? Yikes. That's really early.

message 35: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments J. Travis wrote: "School starts Monday, August 9th?? Yikes. That's really early."

That's what I said! The teachers start Monday and the students on Wednesday. But still, very early!

message 36: by Pragya Tiwari (new)

Pragya Tiwari Here's my list:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Emma by Jane Austen
The Kite Runnner by Khaled Houssseini
Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 929 comments Luann wrote: "J. Travis wrote: "School starts Monday, August 9th?? Yikes. That's really early."

That's what I said! The teachers start Monday and the students on Wednesday. But still, very early!"

The 9th August, when did your summer holidays start?
Here in Scotland I've still got another two weeks.

message 38: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Karen wrote: "The 9th August, when did your summer holidays start? Here in Scotland I've still got another two weeks. "

Our last day of school was May 21. So we had one week at the end of May, all of June and July, and one week in August for summer break. Now that I'm typing it out, it sounds longer than it felt. :)

Luann wrote: "J. Travis wrote: "School starts Monday, August 9th?? Yikes. That's really early."

That's what I said! The teachers start Monday and the students on Wednesday. But still, very early!"

Lynne's school is the same way. Teachers started yesterday, students start tomorrow! Where does the time go.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments My list keeps changing but I'm going to add these as well:
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

message 43: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Welcome, Julia! You're going to have to read quickly to make a dent in that list by the end of August!

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) | 196 comments Finally back, I am going to read The House on Mango Street this month. Starting back slow.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Sara wrote: "Finally back, I am going to read The House on Mango Street this month. Starting back slow."

Sara,
I've put it on my challenge list in the category of books begun but never finished. I really had trouble with it when I tried reading it before. And I've seen recent reviews here of others who didn't care for it much. Maybe you and I can cheer each other on to make it through.

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1109 comments I recently finished The House on Mango Street and didn't care for it. The one positive thing I can say about the book is that it is short, so you should be able to get through it.

message 47: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments sara, this is on my to read list now.....this is such a great group......i am still trying to catch up with updating my bookshelf and reading posts, but i am not on the puter as much, cuz i have been reading big time.

k

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) | 196 comments Most definitely Susan! I am hoping to start it in the next day or so.

Susan wrote: "Sara wrote: "Finally back, I am going to read The House on Mango Street this month. Starting back slow."

Sara,
I've put it on my challenge list in the category of books begun but ne..."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shadow of the Wind (other topics)
The Secret Life of Bees (other topics)
Wuthering Heights (other topics)
The Alchemist (other topics)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paulo Coelho (other topics)
Emily Brontë (other topics)
Sue Monk Kidd (other topics)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón (other topics)
Charlotte Brontë (other topics)
More...