Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,738,382 Ratings  ·  16,722 Reviews
They open a door and enter a world

NARNIA...the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy...the place where the adventure begins. Lucy is the first to find the secret of the wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old house. At first, no one believes her when she tells of her adventures in the land of Narnia. But soon Edmund a
Paperback, Film Tie-in Edition, 206 pages
Published 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 16th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.
Peter Yoder LION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that…moreLION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that reading the books in their original published order is the best way to experience them. Here are the reasons:

1. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe through Silver Chair follow the childhoods of the Pevensies and company, and thematically flow best when not interrupted by Horse and His Boy. They also reveal the world at the best pace for new readers.
2. There is a powerful nostalgia factor that you get when reading the Horse and His Boy that is diminished if you read it right after Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Magician and Last Battle also play off that nostalgia.
3. The Magician's Nephew has allusions to another book that would not make sense if you had read Magician first. It is also experienced much better when you already have a picture of Narnia from the other books. You kind of spoil the surprises if you read it first.

If C.S. Lewis' was reorganizing the books to be in chronological order, it was an effort that never made its way into the books. I was flabbergasted when publishers started printing editions differently. Reordering the books in my mind is like recutting Memento. Will it still tell a story? yes. Will the story be as good? no. At least not without serious rework.

The published order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle(less)
Cher Depends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not…moreDepends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not until I was in my late 20s did I find out that there were more in a series! I found them, bought the paperback series and enjoyed them as a treasure found. I loved Harry Potter series and own it too. I enjoy reading teen and young adult fiction. I enjoy fantasy, sci fi and time travel books. I did not have a clue about the religious overtones. BTW I"m 70years young.(less)

Patrick
This is the first book where I chronicled my thoughts as I read through it with my son. I don't know how easy it is for y'all to access the record of those here on Goodreads, but if you're looking for a detailed account of my thoughts on the book, you can look there.

I'll say this. I've read a lot of books to my little boy these last couple years, and I can honestly say that This book is among the best. Good, tight writing, good description. Good action. Also there's not a lot of dead space or tr
Bookdragon Sean
“If ever they remembered their life in this world it was as one remembers a dream.”

The real world is boring; it’s mundane, unimaginative and dry. So humans create fantasy as a means of escape. We watch movies or go to the theatre to see something more interesting than the standard realities of the everyday. We paint pictures and gaze up at the stars. We play video games and roleplay. We dream. Authors like C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling show us this miserable world; they show us its tones of grey.
J.G. Keely
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger.

Aslan had no character, he was just a big, dull stand-in. Lewis often tells us how great he is, but never demonstrates what it is that makes him g
James
5 stars to C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Adored it. I must have read it three or four times as a child. Hits all the spots in my reading dreams. a forest. A large family. Talking animals. Secrets. Mystery. Drama. Hidden messages. Saga and series. Every child should read it.

Imagination runs free here. 4 children stuck a house. 1 goes exploring and finds herself lost in the world of Narnia. And the rest follow her.

Siblings fight. The book shows what happens when you don't lis
Manuel
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom
Luffy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What's it with British literature? How from a relatively small pool of population can such creative writers emerge? I don't like C.S Lewis's non fiction books, but here he knocked the ball out of the park.

Aslan, whose antics and decision making and beliefs are difficult to map, is the way by which the children triumph. If Alice in Wonderland was positively secular, TLTWaTW is heavily defined by the Christian mythos.

There are many shining examples of pause to let the tension play out, before a li
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.
It's like C.S. Lewis was speaking to me. I never read these as a child but now that I'm in my mid-twenties, I'm feeling the urge to visit all those childhood classics I never read. And I'm so glad I did.
Peter did not feel very brave; indeed, he felt he was going to be sick. But that made no difference to what he had to do.
Four siblings on a rainy day play hide-and-seek. The youngest discovers an incredible secret in the back
Cait • A Page with a View
I hadn't read this in forever, so it was fun to come back to. I definitely remembered it being much more detailed, though. It's a pretty fast read... so that's funny how much my mind added to the story as a kid. But I still adore these books so much!!

And I still think this movie was one of the best adaptations ever.
Jonathan Terrington
A Defence of C.S. Lewis...or a brief attempt at such

Some thoughts recently crossed my mind in regards to arguments one could offer as a defence of the Christian side of this novel. The main arguments against this novel as a 'Christian allegory' that I have heard are: 1)Aslan is not a strong Christ-figure 2)That C.S. Lewis 'preaches' a black and white morality. So I'm going to roughly address them from my perspective and hope it encourages some discussion.

1) I will agree that Aslan is not a stron
Dem
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Novels were not a part of my life until my mid teens and therefore I missed out wonderful reading experiences like the Chronicles of Narnia but while I wish I had read more as a child I am having an absolute ball catching up on all these enchanting books when I can appreciate them on a different level

image:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is a compelling story that is both enchanting and filled with fantasy and adventure and I think can be appreciated by both adults and children alike.

Write
Aimee
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I just re-read this book and got so much more out of it than the first time. The symbolism & parallels to basic Christianity stuck out.
*turkish delight is our human nature, prone to addiction, selfishness and wrongdoing
*Peter said about Edmund, "We should go after him. After all he is our brother." Even though he had just betrayed them and was causing grief they didn't mistreat or disown him.
*The very mention of Aslan's name caused certain positive feelings to come over them all they didn'
Alex Farrand

“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the second novel of C.S. Lewis series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Or it is the first novel, depending on the order you are reading them in. I am reading them in chronological order, instead of the order of publication. This novel is about four siblings, who unexpectedly discover an enchanting new world through a seemingly normal looking wardrobe. What adventures await for these children in
Shovelmonkey1
The Role (bibli)call:

The big cuddly cat = Jesus. Strange that a lion should be chosen to represent the big man when Lions are notoriously aggressive, solitary carnivores who are more likely to eat any potential apostles than than teach or lead them.

The white witch = Satan or Eve the temptress depending on which side of the tree of knowledge you're most likely to be barking up. Famed for a monochrome wardrobe in the A/W line only. Like Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, she has cancel
Urmi  ✨ BookishPixieOfForbiddenForest✨
“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

In this magical whirlwind of Narnia, four children – Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund all enter Narnia – a magical world where animals talk and the White Witch who reigns as Queen makes it always winter and never Christmas. They enter at different times, but from the same place – the old Wardrobe. Lucy enters first and encounters the Faun who is in the pay of the White Witch and tries to kidnap her. Edmund, who enters second, finds
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1), C.S. Lewis
عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا کتاب نخست: شیر، کمد، جادوگر؛ نویسنده: سی. (کلایو) اس. (استیپلز) لوئیس؛ مترجم: امید اقتداری؛ منوچهر کریم زاده؛ تهران، انتشارات ایران، 1377؛ در 218 ص؛ شابک: 9646038085؛ چاپ دیگر: هرمس، 1379، در 166 ص، چاپ بعدی 1382؛ در 169 ص؛ شابک: 9647100116؛ چاپ سوم 1384؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی برای نوجوانان - قرن 20 م
عنوان: شیر ساحره و کمد لباس؛ نویسنده: سی. (کلایو) اس. (استیپلز) لوئیس؛ مترجم: پیمان اسماع
Jason Koivu
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
It dawned on me the other day that I'd never read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. What an oversight! I had to fix this.

I knew the story. When we were kids, one of my cousins was all about this book and liked to tell me about it. I remember absolutely bawling my eyes out when the 1979 cartoon version aired on tv and Aslan was subdued. And then I also knew it through the more recent movie adaptation. Now, having read the actual book, it turns out I already as good as read the book. It varie
Laz
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
Well, can you blame me for loving this? I certainly hope not. It's Christmas and I feel like a little kid and I was craving something to make me feel like I am one, indeed, and this book travelled me to a wondrous world full of heroes and of course a villain. The ride was awesome and I found the characters warm and fuzzy despite the eternal cold that had been placed upon Narnia. Now, they're all free of the curse of the White Witch thanks to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The kings and queens of ...more
Mandy
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read as a little girl and loved it. Loved the mysterious places and fantasy lives and I always wanted my wardrobe to enter into a magical land. This book is worth more than 5 stars.
Rebekah Rodda
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great family read aloud. My eight, six and four year old (and husband) enjoyed hearing this. The four year old flagged a bit but the eight year old got the allegory. A fantastic story, so well told.
Dyuti
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: children, fantasy
What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

narnia

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On readi
Sophia Triad
Every time I read this story, I feel happy. I love fairytales and mythology and I believe this books is the perfect example of how fantasy, mythology and fairytales can be combined and create a strong result.

1. First of all there is obviously the “The Snow Queen” fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen, the ultimate evil woman whose myth is used in this book too. She brings cold and misery and never allows Christmas. She changes people’s heart and eyes. She freezes their hearts like block of ice,
Pooja
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owns-these-books
This is one of those books that takes you to a land where you feel like you've come to this place many times before,
it feels like home,
you keep hugging this book,
every time enchanted and when you return to your world.

All you feel is MAGICAL.

"I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enou
Heidi The Hippie Reader
This is the story of four siblings who stumble through a wardrobe into a different world. They discover magic, monsters and their destiny.

One Christmas, when I was 11 or 12, my mother gave me The Chronicles of Narnia. It ignited a lifelong love of fantasy fiction and reading.

"Peter! Susan! It's all true. Edmund has seen it too. There is country you can get to through the wardrobe. Edmund and I both got in. We met one another in there, in the wood." pg 40.

I get the criticisms of this series- that
Kenny
Nov 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Kenny by: Waaaaay too many people
I am tempted to give this book a zero but the idea of going through the wardrobe to another land is fantastic. Everything else, however, is not fantastic, including:

The over-the-top Christian allegory.
The complete absence of dramatic tension - the characters are static and the conclusion is foregone. There is nothing to keep you reading, to challenge you, or to even vaguely interest you.
The writing is mediocre at best.
The dialogue is mediocre at best.

Awful book, it as if someone read Matthew thr
Leo .
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After I first read this book as a young boy I remember distracting my father one day whilst he was working in his shed at the bottom of our garden. I was about 11 at the time and my father was filing away at something in the vice attached to the work bench. I spotted the pincers/pliers in his old wooden toolbox and secreted them away in my knitted cardigan, fashion was not a strong point back in the 1970's, and I sheepishly snook out without being noticed. That was the beginning of the adventure ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously

I've been making a habit of rereading my childhood favorites, and the Narnia series is one many people read. I remember enjoying this book a lot more as a kid, even though this wasn't my favorite book in the series (that was The Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair) I did like it.

Reading this as an adult.... it's BIZARRE. Think about it. Children go into a wardrobe and appear in a new world. There, they trust all these fairytale creatures and talking animals. On top of that, there's
Mark my words
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
"What are you doing in that wardrobe?"

"Narnia business!"
Denisse
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful read. There's no other way to say it. The story knows what it is, knows the public it wants to catch, children, but leaves details every now and then for we the grown ups to appreciate, turning a great children story into one of The fantasy novels this world has. Great messages, and unique style. Light but direct to the point, like all children stories should be. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe is a must for all the lovers of the genre.

description

Solo hay una cosa que de verdad se puede d
Ashley Daviau
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is one of my all time favourites and this book in particular is definitely my favourite out of them all. I’ve read it countless times and yet it just never gets old. I think I just fall in love with it more each time I read it. I can remember myself reading it at different points in my life and the way it made me feel each time, there’s something really special about a book that makes you feel that way!
James
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although undoubtedly not the first author to use the literary device and concept of a portal leading from everyday life into another parallel world – a world which is often magical and wonderful whilst at the same time occasionally frightening and terrifying. However, the eponymous device here being the Wardrobe and as such, this is approaching genius.

‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’ is ostensibly a fantasy novel aimed squarely at children – and for a child with even a modicum of imaginat
Narnia Word Game! 15 10 May 22, 2018 06:40AM
Character Elimination Game 15 81 May 20, 2018 06:40PM
Great Middle Grad...: Narnia by C. S. Lewis 6 21 May 14, 2018 08:09PM
What did you think of Chapter 1? 1 5 May 09, 2018 01:11PM
Fantasy and YA Ad...: Favorite Narnia Novel to Movie 6 7 Apr 22, 2018 03:36PM
websites 2 4 Apr 04, 2018 06:29AM
Who appsolutly loves aslan and who thinks edmund is a stupid idiot who should be locked up for his insanity 57 403 Mar 26, 2018 09:09PM
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Silver on the Tree (The Dark is Rising, #5)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet, #3)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Just So Stories
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Strange Weather
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $9.99 $1.99
“I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night; but if you have been - if you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” 1016 likes
“I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.” 931 likes