Start by marking “These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories (Sarah Agnes Prine, #1)” as Want to Read:

(Sarah Agnes Prine #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  65,331 ratings  ·  10,393 reviews
A moving, exciting, and heartfelt American saga inspired by the author's own family memoirs, these words belong to Sarah Prine, a woman of spirit and fire who forges a full and remarkable existence in a harsh, unfamiliar frontier. Scrupulously recording her steps down the path Providence has set her upon--from child to determined young adult to loving mother--she shares th ...more
Published February 17th 1999 by ReganBooks (first published February 3rd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about These Is My Words, please sign up.
Jenny I hope you chose it for your book Club! I just finished reading this and thought it would have been a great book to read with my book club.
Chancy Schaaf I read it in 6th grade. I was very shy and wouldn't talk about anything or listen to anything that related to girls, guys, or both. I think it is good…moreI read it in 6th grade. I was very shy and wouldn't talk about anything or listen to anything that related to girls, guys, or both. I think it is good for any age able to read it.(less)
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best for Book Clubs
6,928 books — 12,551 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPersuasion by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
CLEAN Romance Books
2,501 books — 2,076 voters

More lists with this book...

·  65,331 ratings  ·  10,393 reviews

Start your review of These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories (Sarah Agnes Prine, #1)
Brookann
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Brookann by: Holly
I was completely taken by this book! The library fines are racking up because it is overdue and I can't renew it because it has been requested by someone else, but I can't let it go because I find myself going back to it to reread passages and "reliving" moments of the book in my mind. I shed many a tear and towards the end was so enraged I almost threw the book, but I simply cannot stop thinking about it! I'm dying to discuss it with someone.

It is the beautiful and heartbreaking story of a woma
Amanda
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is, UNEQUIVOCALLY, the best love story I have read.

I devoured this book -- I simply could not put it down. The beginning was gritty, heart-wrenching, and a grammatical mess. Yet, this is part of the author's brilliance. As the main character, Sarah, matures, she is strengthened by her experiences. And as Sarah educates herself at every opportunity, the grammar and story-telling improve.

Without giving anything away, I cannot put into words the romance between Sarah and Captain Jack Elliott.
Annalisa
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Annalisa by: Hannah Coleman
The reason I loved this book comes down to one word: authenticity. I bought into this woman's life and believed these characters. I have this vivid picture in my mind of this ranch out in the middle of nowhere with Sarah out there putting laundry on the line with a pistol tucked in her rugged apron.

I don't like western movies or get into frontier stories and was worried, especially by the title, that the grammar would rake on my nerves. But the story is about a thirst for education as much as a
Candi
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
"A storm is rolling in, and that always makes me a little sad and wistful so I got it in my head to set to paper all these things that have got us this far on our way through this heathen land. Its been a sorrowful journey so far and hard and so if we don’t get to San Angelo or even as far as Fort Hancock I am saving this little theme in my cigar box for some wandering travelers to find and know whose bones these is."

I was so eager to read this book, described as a “heartfelt American saga” whic
Jan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"My life feels like a book left out on the porch, and the wind blows the pages faster and faster, turning always toward a new chapter faster than I can stop and read it."

I avidly enjoyed These Is My Words by Nancy Turner! Turner did a wonderful job capturing a very vivid picture of Sarah Prine, and of the people and conditions of this period in the Arizona Territory. Turner's writing makes you feel like you are actually there, and making the trek along with Sarah.

These Is My Words is a wonderf
Her Royal Orangeness
Jun 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Not only does the book sound intriguing, but the ratings on Goodreads are amazing - the average rating is 4.45 and 56% of readers gave it 5 Stars.

Apparently I read a different book.

The basic plot of the first half of the book is: Horrible things happen! Awful things happen! She meets a man!! Terrible things happen! Dreadful things happen! The man kisses her!!! And it's all executed in a flat, shallow, and BORING style. A lot of action and no psychological depth.

In the second half of the book, th
Wendy
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I debated between 2 and 4 stars, but after all is said and done I wouldn't recommend the book to my friends, so it came down to 2. As for reading enjoyment and ability to hold my interest, this book gets a 5. However, the first 30 pages contain enough trauma to send any woman to a pyschiatrist for years! Rape, murder, tragic child deaths, Indian attacks, attempted abduction, etc. It was a bit too much for me to handle.

Although the description says "inspired by the author's grandmother", very li
Tweety
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like a rough, gritty sad and beautiful story
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
After my heart stops hurting I'll write a review, it takes time when you've just fallen off a cliff.

I think I can write it now

I will admit something here and now. Before I read a book I always read the dedication. This book is dedicated To everyone who has ever stood on a hill in a storm That caught my interest really quick and then, six pages in I came across this passage. What can I say? I was hooked. And you know what? I've never even seen a Cottenwood, but Sarah showed it to me.

Page
Mehrsa
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I probably would not have finished this book if I were not reading it for book club. I enjoyed reading it at times, but mostly, I was trying not to roll my eyes and just appreciate that it was Nancy Turner's first novel and it's good for a first shot (although I have read some incredible first novels before). The book is about a woman growing up in the Arizona territories and is written in diary format.

The Good: It's a nice historical novel that really makes you get what life was like then and
Dem
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
These is my words by Nancy E. Turner is the "Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 Arizona Territories.

The blurb on this book reads " The classic adventure of one courageous woman's life struggles in the Arizona Territories in the late nineteenth century, A moving exciting and heartfelt American saga inspired by the authors’ own family memoirs, these words belong to Sarah Prine a woman of spirit and fire who forges a full remarkable existence in a harsh unfamiliar frontier"

I was really looking
Rachelle
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much my favorite book I've ever read along with it's sequel Sarah's Quilt. First of all, it is a beautiful love story. I cried so much. Any book that makes me feel really emotional, I consider to be a good book. But it is also an incredible tale of determination and down right stubborness. I love that Sarah learned to read, loved learning and by so doing changed her life. I love the way she endured challenges. I want to read it again so I can put more details in here.

************
Margaret
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Julie
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I cracked open the cover, saw it was written as a journal and thought, "Ugh, not another story written as a journal." Within three entries, I was looking for a hammer and some nails to board my doors and windows to ban visitors, so I could read it in peace.

This is a flawed piece of fiction, filled with too many plot contrivances that don't work, inconsistent flow of the storyline, and an annoying protagonist who is often too ignorant to be believed. But, as soon as Captain Elliot (oh, Captain, m
This got off to a slow start for me, and I didn't care for the pacing at the beginning. However, I grew to love this take-no-prisoners, kick-tail female protagonist, and this ended up being an apropos list for an election week that left me reeling.
Jen
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
I totally DID NOT want to read this book, but did for a book group. I loved it. It reminded me of my grandma who grew up AZ and the crazy, hard life that she had. I remember feeling like she was kind of strange, uneducated, and maybe a little scary because she was so tough... she had like 18 inch biceps-- we are talking strong. She was just so different from my other very educated,very classy, rich grandma that I was close to growing up. After reading this book I really wished I would have taken ...more
Stephanie Anze
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Mama told me to make a special point to remember the best times of my life. There are so many hard things to live through, and latching on to the good things will give you strength to endure, she says. So I must remember this day. It is beautiful and this seems like the best time to live and the best place”

Sarah Prine is traveling westward with her family as new frontiers are opening in Arizona. Seeking other opportunities and a fresh start, the Prine family sets out on a journey that is equall
Lucy
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Way back in the day, before I had ever joined a book group, before the world knew about blogging and before I began keeping track of the books with reviews, I read a book I loved called These Is My Words. I know I loved it all those years ago, and have told countless friends and acquaintances to read it based on that memory of loving it but, if you want to know the truth, the details about the story have become...err....a bit sketchy.

Oh, I remembered that it involved pioneers and a romance and a
Julie  Durnell
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exceptionally good book-I don't normally read this type of book but was instantly hooked. Sarah is a remarkable pioneer woman who overcomes so many roadblocks in life both as someone living in this age and as a woman who runs a ranch and wants to be educated so badly. Her indomitable spirit infuses the pages of her diary that records her feelings and adventures and sorrows. There are a few incidents that describe the horrific and gritty sides to life in the Arizona territories; I did ...more
Deanne Patterson
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was nitty gritty and I LOVED IT! I have been reading Christian fiction historicals for so long that I forgot what it was like to just read a historical novel that wasn't Christian and refined and have things prim and proper and the bad glossed over! This novel was based on a diary written by the author's grandmother from the years 1881-1901. I loved the realness of it. It tells about life the way it really was back then on the Arizona territories. I am looking forward to reading the tw ...more
katie
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i began this book several years ago. i thought it was a non-fictional journal, and once i found out that it was fictional i couldn't get back into the book. Since that time, my mom and sister have pleaded with me to finish this book, as it is an all-time favorite for both of them. i finally heeded their suggestion, and i am so glad i did! i devoured this book and couldn't wait to read each day. set in the late 19th century and written as a journal, it is a captivating story of a feisty, determin ...more
Kari Ann Sweeney
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I love historical fiction that explores lesser covered time periods and this view into the Arizona Territory in the late 1800's was an absolute gem. It’s my favorite kind of book- strong story, vivid writing, tangible setting and compelling characters.

Sarah's story is told from her perspective through journal entries. I loved that format. Her courageous spirit comes through the page as she reflects on her daily life. A life full of deep love and equally deep loss. A life made up of triumphant su
Doug Bradshaw
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Several years ago I watched an excellent PBS documentary of the Donner Party story. At the end of the program, having vicariously lived through the whole mess, they interviewed this older woman who had lived through it all to get her thoughts and advice: "don't take no shortcuts" was her main thought. I had to laugh thinking how trite that sounded after all of that. To some extent, "These is My Words" reminds me of that. I can picture Nancy Turner reading through journals and just shaking her he ...more
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am enjoying this book more than any book I have read in a long time. I love that this is a real life setting about a powerful courageous woman of our time. It shows the struggles and triumphs of life, and I can relate to it in so many ways. I love it!
Cassy
Where has this book been hiding my whole life? If you like Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind and Gabaldon’s Outlander, I’d say it is a sure bet that you will love this one too. It has the same key ingredients: robust historical setting, epic sprawling action, and two meant-to-be-together characters that have a rocky start to their relationship. And any book that can make me grin and then cry like that deserves five stars.

I am trying to recall some of its flaws. They are few and far between. Obvious
Catherine
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, 2017, need-to-buy
Reread 2020: It’s interesting noticing the emotions I leave a book with and trying to figure out why: sometimes it’s satisfaction with the perfect ending for the perfect story, or loss from already missing the characters, or adrenaline from an adventure. For this book, I finished and went and held my beautiful children and kissed my wonderful husband. And that kind of defines the book for me. It’s a story about the people Sarah holds so dear, and the woman she becomes because of that love and lo ...more
Melodie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Life in the western territories was rough, and uncertain. And it was in this environment that Miss Sarah Prine carved out a life for herself and subsequently her family. Sharp of mind(and tongue) with a thirst for knowledge almost unheard of in that part of the country,Sarah determined early on that she would do what it took to survive and thrive. And thrive she did!
In a no-nonsense manner she records her life in her journal. The reader is with her as she does her daily chores, squabbles with
Janet
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful surprise! This book was not at all what I thought it was before I cracked the spine, or rather I should say, inserted the CD, as I listened to the audio. It is an epistolary novel, written as a series of diary entries spanning a 20 year period in the life of the author's great-grandmother. Sarah Agnes Prine was an early settler in the Arizona territory.

As I live in Arizona, I was thrilled with the references to places and things I know. Even the narrator's mispronunciation of c
Lori
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the late 1800’s, white Americans expanded their settlements into the western part of the country and claimed land already inhabited by native Indians. Many of these pioneers even settled beyond the western boundary into Texas and California. This is the story of one such family as they make their way from northern New Mexico territory to San Angelo, Texas. The story is told by Sarah Prine (the seventeen-year-old daughter) in short, simple, diary-format. History has told us the hardships these ...more
Shiloah
I don't know if I have words to express my feelings regarding this book. I loved it. It's a rare day that I find a book that describes my own relationship with my wonderful husband. Oh, Jack! Why did you have to leave again? I'm sitting here wishing I could hug and hold my Ben but he is a soldier on another mission in Africa. But, at least he will be home again.

I felt so connected to this story. Such a part of it and I understood Sarah so well. I think like her. I'm independent and always doing
Deborah Pickstone
I kept circling this as if it were a bad tasting medicine - I don't know why I seemed to expect so little - and I was so wrong! This is an excellent read, wonderful characterisation, lots of layers within the plot, and the best romantic hero and heroine I have come across in recent times. I see this likened to Gone with the Wind and I have to say that is not an unreasonable comparison. Luckily, I had the sequel to hand and started it over my breakfast coffee, so have it happily in prospect when ...more

• Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)
  • The Diary of Mattie Spenser
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The Rent Collector
  • Fire of the Covenant: The Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies
  • The Power of One (The Power of One, #1)
  • Prayers for Sale
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • Rumors of War (Children of the Promise, #1)
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel ('Til the Boys Come Home, #1)
  • The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes
  • The Kitchen House
  • This Tender Land
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Sarah Agnes Prine (3 books)
  • Sarah's Quilt (Sarah Agnes Prine, #2)
  • The Star Garden (Sarah Agnes Prine, #3)