Margaret's Reviews > These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Aug 12, 2008

bookshelves: favorite-books
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I try not to be too generous when I give out 5 stars and I try to give them out to only the books that truly deserve them in my opinion. “These is My Words” is a book that I thought deserved 5 stars from the first 50 pages or so. It is a story about Sarah Prine who is sixteen when the story starts out growing up in the 1880’s in the Arizona Territories. It is in a journal format. At first Sarah’s grammar is not so good and it is somewhat difficult to read but as the story progresses her grammar gets better and I was completely pulled into the story and so engrossed in the fascinating life of a girl in the 1880’s. Throughout the book Sarah has some very difficult trials and also some very sweet experiences. The love story that takes place in it was truly a delight to read and made my heart swoon at times because of how romantic and exciting it was for Sarah to find her true love.
My two complaints about the book is that it seemed extra long and there was a sad ending. But after I thought about my complaints they turned to positive points. If Nancy would have ended the book at about half way through the book, I would have been satisfied with the story. But she continued the story to show what happened after the love story took place when usually books end when the main characters have fallen in love. It was special to see their love grow through the years and see their family develop. The sad ending made me mad at first but life is sad sometimes and it is how we deal with those sad things that make us stronger people. Life can be happy and wonderful even though we experience hard trials.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

07/21/2016 marked as: read

Rachel Love your review Margaret. You're bang on!

Desi I agree with you Margaret. I get mad when a story has a sad ending. But all the other stuff that happened and how she wrote about it made up for it.