Start by marking “The House on Mango Street” as Want to Read:
The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  95,183 Ratings  ·  7,845 Reviews
Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous–it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up
Paperback, 25th Anniversary Edition, 110 pages
Published April 3rd 2009 by Vintage (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The House on Mango Street, please sign up.
Jan Priddy I taught it to high school sophomores and juniors. It is not a children's book, but other that "My First Job" "Monkey Garden" and "Red Clowns" there…moreI taught it to high school sophomores and juniors. It is not a children's book, but other that "My First Job" "Monkey Garden" and "Red Clowns" there is nothing explicitly sexual or harmful, no language or violence—and those stories are so very euphemistic that a six year old could listen without harm or much confusion. (less)
Joana Simply click on the picture of thee book or below it should say either read currently reading or want to read, click on read and something should pop…moreSimply click on the picture of thee book or below it should say either read currently reading or want to read, click on read and something should pop up and say how you wold rate the book and also allows you to leave a review.(less)

Brina
Ever since middle school when I discovered the writings of the amigas, I have jumped at the opportunity to read novels written by Hispanic women. Despite my life long love of this genre, I have never until now had the privilege of reading Sandra Cisneros' A House on Mango Street. Cisneros is a torch bearer for the Hispanic women writers who I love to read today, so I feel privileged to have read her first novel, now over 30 years old.

Sandra Cisneros grew up on Chicago's north side on Keeler str
Kim
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mmx, simpatico

It’s a little after 2am. I’m having the dreams.

The ones that blindside me and have that weird echo --- is or isn’t this real? Sleep isn’t going to happen. What’s new. I leave my room to check out the house. Doors locked? Check. Kids asleep? Check…whoa, hold up a minute. Em is awake. She’s sitting in the living room illuminated by a booklite. She’s got about 4 blankets piled on top of her and she’s….. reading. Reading? I’m used to the insomnia, on both our parts… we knock around each other, say
James
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The House on Mango Street, a short series of vignettes published in 1984 and written by Sandra Cisneros. Picture it: Long Island, August 1995. 18-year-old college student receives a letter in the mail, revealing two books he must read prior to attending the freshmen orientation seminar on his first day of college later that month. Young kid says "They're giving me work to do already? WT..." It went something like that. And it wasn't that I didn't want to read,
Nishat
"I make a story for my life, for each step my brown shoe takes."

Esperanza Cordero, a Mexican-American girl living in poverty, gives a soaring voice to a multitude of characters who otherwise would remain in darkness all their pitiful lives. Echoing the undying optimism even in the most wretched place, Esperanza stands for sunny days, for light and memories.

In the midst of countless insignificant young adult books, The House On Mango Street stands out. Awe-inspiring writing with a powerful messa
Duane
Partly biographical, partly fiction, this wonderful book by Sandra Cisneros is an influential coming of age story that is still being used in schools today. Cisneros, born in Chicago in 1954 to Mexican parents, an only girl with 7 brothers, experienced a transient early childhood as the family moved back and forth from Chicago to Mexico. But when she was 11 they settled down and bought a house in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago, predominantly Puerto Rican, and it was from her life experiences ...more
Jessica
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The description on goodreads describes this as a novel. It is not a novel. It isn't a collection of stories either. The word is "vignette"--snapshots of significant moments, people, in young Esperanza's day-to-day life, sprinkled with her understanding that she will leave this House on Mango Street, and the Houses not on Mango Street that could be on Mango Street, and write, but that Mango Street will never leave her. There is no central plot line or conflict. Some characters go as quick as we m ...more
Kate
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
(Original pub date: 1984)
This is another one of those "reading list classics" that I figured I should try. Especially since it's really short! ;) The book consists entirely of vignettes from the author's childhood in a poor section of Chicago. The writing is beautiful and spare - no vignette is longer that 2 or 3 pages (and the font is huge and widely spaced). It reads like poetry, really - the words are potent and evocative rather than exhaustively descriptive.

My reading of this book actually h
Rincey
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was beautiful
Alex
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to meet Sandra in one of her book readings and I was so overcome with emotions I was part babbling, part crying and part laughing with joy. I had to thank her because there was finally someone in the literary world that understood me and was able to tell stories that were similar to mine growing up as a Mexican in Chicago. I adore this book because I finally felt like I wasn't alone! I've seen so many stereotypes of hispanic people and I never felt like I identified with an ...more
Vanessa
Easy to read and bite sized vignettes from the distinct viewpoint of a poor immigrant child Esperanza writing in her own style and keeping true to herself and her unique voice. Interesting. Different.
Sawsan
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
نصوص قصيرة عن فتاة مكسيكية لديها الكثير لتحكيه عن حياتها في شارع مانجو
البيت والعائلة, الأصدقاء والجيران, لحظات الفرح والحزن
الرواية كأنها ألبوم للصور, في كل صورة لقطة من لقطات حياتها
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
I found the introduction filled with unintended ironies. Cisneros said she wanted to write a book that you could turn to any page and find it accessible. For one thing, she said she was "abandoning quotation marks to streamline the typography and make the page as simple and readable as possible." Really? Personally, as far as I'm concerned, punctuation marks are our friends. Quotation marks in the most economical way signal that we are reading a conversation, and through conventions such as alte ...more
T G
Jul 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: in-my-library
She is a good poet who penned a mediocre "novel." I tell you, it is on the slim side of a novella. Physically, the book is short (maybe 5/7 the height of a standard paperbook), 12 point font, double-spaced, 134 pages long with 44 chapters and each one is set apart with its own half page. Oh, and the content? Just what you'd expect. Why, I bet Cisneros spent a whole afternoon writing what you could read in an afternoon.
Rose Ann
Jun 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I did not care for the style of writing...each small chapter(1.5-2 pgs.)(vignette), is a snippet of what life is like on Mango Street for Esperanza. Tbe idea of these snippets (vignettes) is great, but they never kept my attention or painted a vivid picture for me.
It is not a continuous plot, that keeps you hanging. I'm not used to this style, so it really didnt "grab" me.
I was hoping that throughout the book I would connect with the character or "feel" something...I never did.
I was not impresse
Dominic
The House on Mango Street is deceptively simple. And considering that is used for all sorts of ends within a wide range of English literature classrooms (I, myself, have used it at the 7th and 11th grades, as well as studied it at college and grad school), it is beautifully malleable. But despite its many "uses," ultimately this is a book about a girl who resists oppression and finds her voice. It deserves to be not only enjoyed for its rhythm and poetry, its humor and imagery, but studied for i ...more
Paloma
“You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky and sky can keep you safe when you are sad. Here, there is too much sadness and not enough sky. Butterflies too are few and so are flowers and more things that are beautiful. Still, we take what we can get and make the best of it."

Review in English | Reseña en español (breve)

This book was a beautiful surprise -exquisite, delicate, hard- a quiet gem that is not there for exhibit but if one is lucky enough to find it
Eilonwy
I've spent a long time avoiding this book because it always showed up on summer reading lists and that sort of place. Even though I know a lot of those books are perfectly good, there's something about Assigned School Reading that leaves me with a knee-jerk shudder to this day.

But then Wanda’s review made me curious about it.

This was completely different from any expectation I had. I anticipated a more linear story thread of some sort. But this book is more like a prose poem than anything else
I'm not latino, but I grew up poor. I was lucky enough that my mom tried her best to keep us from being super aware of this fact. We got free lunch and sometimes she pretended she'd already eaten dinner, and our house was infested with cockroaches and didn't have enough insulation to keep warm in a Florida winter, and I could never go on any fieldtrip that cost money, but I didn't feel inferior to other people. Reading that whole list, I realize that I was independently a fairly innocent, blinde ...more
"that Guy"
May 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy really wierd book
Recommended to "that by: My spanish teacher
This was without a doubt one of the worst books I have EVER read. Now, before I go any further, I would like to say that when I read this book, I read it in Spanish. Because Spanish is not my first language, this created some difficulties understanding the material.

With that said, it was still a bad book. There was no actual plot, because this story was a biography of the author. In other words, if you swap out a few key names, it will be the story of the writer's life. In other words, the writ
Кремена Михайлова

Точно това очакване имах – да ми е приятно както с една виетнамска книга преди време. Да чета за трудности, без да се изтормозвам. Защото:

- книгата е чистосърдечна – главната героиня с обикновени думи разказва за детството/юношеството си
- няма утежняващ концентриран сюжет, а отделни картини от живота на едно дете/семейство (всъщност цяла общност от „онази страна“- ежедневие, нрави, суеверия, ограничения; средата, годините в „тази“ страна, която също не е лесна)
- тези кратки картини отлично показ
Wanda
I started reading The House on Mango Street without really researching anything about it. I could really tell that the author is also a poet—the beauty of the language and the descriptions was stunning. If you are looking for something plot-driven, this is not your book. But if you are willing to savour each chapter/vignette for what it is, you will enjoy this artistic little volume.

Each chapter is like a perfectly cut and polished gemstone, offering the reader a peek into the Chicago of the 195
Erin
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Audiobook narrated by author, Sandra Cisneros

It appears that before today I had only read a few of the vignettes presented in this text during my public school years. First, I noticed that every teacher(including me) that does any part of this book in their ELA classroom pronounces Mango incorrectly. It's supposed to be "Mawn-Go" not "Mang- Go." I wonder if my grade eight English teacher knows... Second, I had never heard Sandra Cisneros speak before, she certainly has a very youthful voice.
Xueting
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Only a house as quiet as snow, a space for myself to go, clean as paper before the poem."

This series of vignettes revolving around the community of Mango Street fills up with lines as lyrical and colorful as this quote. Characterization and setting go hand in hand here, both so powerful. Some make me laugh, like "A rice sandwich" and "Hips". I love "four Skinny Trees" for Esperanza's enchanting spirit. Occasionally, one confuses me and seems disjointed. Many of them tackle abusive relationships
Chris Friend
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Social workers who need a good hard-luck case to inspire them.
Recommended to Chris by: FLVS English II, and I'll never forgive it for that.
What a horrible, wretched waste of time and paper.

If you want to feel better about yourself, knowing that you can properly use punctuation and sentence structure, read this book. You'll see that someone else who can't can still get published.

If you want to feel better about yourself, thinking of the pleasantries of the simple things in life, read this book. You'll see plenty of characters who don't have them, and you can compare yourself to them and feel vain.

If you want to feel better about you
TheSkepticalReader
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book is silent perfection.

Esperanza’s story is both heartbreaking and breathtaking. Read as part of a women’s coming-of-age course, The House on Mango Street might be my favorite book so far in the course. Esperanza’s story is gripping from page one, her narrative absolutely stunning. The writing of the novel perfectly aligns itself with Esperanza’s personality—or at least, how I imagine a character such as her would write.

Unlike the other novels read for this same course, what’s more appre
Richard Denney
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 STARS!!!!

This was such a beautiful and moving read and even after putting it down I had to sit with it for a while because I connected so much to these stories being Mexican-American myself, and Sandra's writing is so stunning and breathtaking, I will have to check out more of her work. If you're looking for something quick but full of love, heartbreak, grief, loss, and at times funny moments, pick this up ASAP. - Richard
Misty
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where did she go with all those books and paper? Why did she march so far away? They will not know I have gone away to come back. For the ones I left behind. For the ones who cannot out.

Beautiful vignettes that are reminiscent of our wanting to make it while trying hard not to forget who we are, and where we came from.
Mariah
Mar 26, 2014 added it
This was bad. I was confused the whole time and didn't know what was going on.
I didn't like it so much that I don't even want to rate it.
Siv30
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domestic-life
סיפור התבגרותה של אספרנזה המתארת את החיים בבית ברחוב מנגו הממוקם בשכונה בשיקגו שבה לטינים, פורטוריקנים ומקסיקנים חיים בעוני מחפיר, בצפיפות, אלימות כנגד ילדים ונשים. הספר כולל סצנות בוטות של אונס, אלימות כנגד ילדים והתנהגות ברוטלית כנגד נשים.

כשהרומן מתחיל אספרנזה בערך בת 12. המשפחה לא תמיד גרה ברחוב מנגו, עד שהגיעו לבית הזה, המשפחה עברה הרבה בתים אבל הבית ברחוב מנגו הוא הזכור ביותר בתודעתה. הבית ברחוב מנגו קטן ומוזנח. היא מתביישת במגורים בו. היא מתחילה לכתוב בכדי להימלט מסיטואציית החיים שלה.

הסיפ
Susie
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I do not know how to rate this. It reminds me of my mother. I am not sure I can separate it from my mom and rate it fairly. I wish my mother was more of a reader though. I think she would like this.
Catching up on Cl...: May 2018 - The House on Mango Street 28 59 May 14, 2018 12:29PM
The house on mango street 1 2 May 07, 2018 09:44PM
  • Occupied America: A History of Chicanos
  • Burro Genius
  • Seedfolks
  • The Tequila Worm
  • Witch Baby (Weetzie Bat, #2)
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Under the Feet of Jesus
  • La Linea
  • Baseball in April and Other Stories
Sandra Cisneros was born in Chicago in 1954. Internationally acclaimed for her poetry and fiction, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the American Book Award, and of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the MacArthur Foundation. Cisneros is the author of two novels The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short ...more
More about Sandra Cisneros

• Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • An Irish Country Love Story
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“Моя собствена къща

Не квартира. Не задна стая. Не мъжка къща. Не бащина. Къща само моя. С моя собствена веранда и възглавница, мои красиви пурпурни петунии. Мои книги и разкази. Моите две обувки до леглото. Да няма към кого да махам с пръчка. Да няма на кого да чистя.

Само къща, тиха като сняг, място, където да отивам, чисто като лист преди стихотворение.”
4 likes