Start by marking “Neverwhere” as Want to Read:
Neverwhere

Neverwhere (London Below, The World of Neverwhere)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  320,051 Ratings  ·  16,645 Reviews
Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindnes
Published September 2nd 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published September 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Neverwhere, please sign up.

Alexis Gamboa Yes, it is called The Seven Sisters he is in the process of writing it currently.

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
3,521 books — 10,910 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
50,193 books — 179,640 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I should have. I kept distracting myself with the thought, "Why the hell haven't I read more of Neil Gaiman's books?" Then I would have to tell myself to shut up, because I'm reading one right now, and I can return to berating myself later.

Neil Gaiman really understands fantasy. He understands that it isn't elves dancing in a forest and drunk dwarves mining for gold with improbably well maintained beards. No, fantasy is a reflection of reality, but fantastic.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I won this in a Goodreads/Firstreads Giveaway! Yay!

Look at these pictures! Sorry for the darkness. We were in the sunlight but it canceled us out.

Anyhoo! I am in love with the looks of this little book! It doesn't have a dust jacket! It's one of my fav hardbacks! I love them without the dust jackets. I have added a picture of the front and back. I have also added a picture of just one of the many illustrations through-out the book and the inside book flap that isn't really a flap but they made
Rick Riordan
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, so people have been telling me to read Neil Gaiman for ages. They assume I've read American Gods because the premise is similar to the Percy Jackson series. Well, I still haven't read American Gods, but I did pick up Neverwhere in the Heathrow airport and read it on the way back home. I enjoyed it a lot. Great fantasy, wonderful sense of humor. I can understand why Gaiman is so popular. I'll have to look up his other books.
Nataliya
Neverwhere was my first real introduction to the world of urban fantasy - a clever take on Alice in Wonderland, one can say, set in the semi-magical, unsubtly dangerous, and quite fantastically warped world of 'London Below'.
"Young man," he said, "understand this: there are two Londons. There's London Above - that's where you lived - and then there's London Below - the Underside - inhabited by the people who fell through the cracks in the world. Now you're one of them. Good night."

Neverwhere is
Kat Kennedy
I first started reading this book and honestly wanted to just chuck it in the bin. I said very mean things about the protagonist under my breath.

Surely, I said, a Protagonist means that they are pro and totally into furthering the story. Surely, Protagonist is the similar to Proactive and Productive.

I was wrong. The word Protagonist, in its basic form is not similar to proactive. It simply, from the Greek plays, means the principle character or the first speaking character.

However, I maintain th
Petrik
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

Whether you’ve read his book or not, there is a high chance that you have heard of the name Neil Gaiman if you’re a reader and most people probably loved his works. Let’s just say I finally knew why. I knew about him since 2009 from watching the movie Coraline which I loved and turns out it was based on a book written by him and that movie shocked the crap out of me cause it so imaginative and scary at times, I thought it would be a family movie. Fast forward 8 years later and here I
Lyn
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Neverwhere!

Upon beginning a review of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman my first thoughts were to write that even a bad Gaiman novel was better than most other authors best work.

But this is unfair, Neverwhere is not a “bad” novel at all.

Compared to Stardust or Anansi Boys, or especially the masterpiece American Gods, it lacks the epic presence and may even be categorized as one of Gaiman’s lesser works.

What is present, though, is Gaiman’s phenomenal writing, his brilliant and original imagination and
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review: After a multilevel process of reading, commenting and then rereading (see my various updates below), here is the final summation of all my thoughts and feelings about Neverwhere: 4 stars! And read the illustrated version!
description
Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Neverwhere is a novel that improved dramatically for me on reread, which actually was a surprise to me. I originally read it about six years ago when, in an odd twist worthy of London Below, it mysteriously appeared one day
Fabian
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The mean guy inside of me is completely against my giving this book a four-out-of-five instead of a three star rating, but the good guy/casual reader wins out! Hey. C'mon, give me a break. This is Neil Gaiman: He's not one of Stephen King's favorites for nothing!

Incredibly short, seemingly dippy sentences make up this whimsical phantasmagoria-- more Hollywood script/ graphic novel than novel outright. Gaiman mixes and mashes myths & monsters all for this tight, devious yarn. It must be said
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein the hero (twice) and villain share the same desire: (view spoiler)
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Looking for Jake
  • Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • Der Schrecksenmeister (Zamonien, #5)
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • War for the Oaks
  • The Land of Laughs
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves

London Below, The World of Neverwhere (2 books)
  • The Seven Sisters (London Below, #2)
“You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not.” 1195 likes
“He had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once.” 1086 likes