Start by marking “The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Lost World

(Professor Challenger #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  54,250 ratings  ·  2,103 reviews
It's London, 1907. Journalist Edward Malone, rejected by the woman he loves because he is too prosaic, decides to go in search of adventure and fame to prove himself worthy of her. Soon after, he meets Professor George Challenger, a scientist who claims to have discovered a 'lost world' populated by pterodactyls and other prehistoric monsters.
Published January 14th 2003 by Modern Library (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost World, please sign up.
Steve Swayne I have not seen the edition you refer to, but my guess is they toned down or removed the many racial slurs such as half breed and references to a stro…moreI have not seen the edition you refer to, but my guess is they toned down or removed the many racial slurs such as half breed and references to a strong negro man with less intelligence than a pack animal etc. Doyle was a man of his times and the white European was considered far superior to darker skinned 'cousins' in 1912. Just my guess.(less)
Glorfindel Doyle is a good writer, but if you're not British, you can grow weary of the constant British language peculiarities. He is readable but also know tha…moreDoyle is a good writer, but if you're not British, you can grow weary of the constant British language peculiarities. He is readable but also know that his stories (at least with "Lost World") are drawn out way too much. Hope this helps.(less)

·  54,250 ratings  ·  2,103 reviews

Start your review of The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
Stephen
Move aside, Sherlock…Sir Arthur has conjured a protagonist who's an even more arrogant assbag than you.

Everyone...the intrepid, the indefatigable, the insufferable Professor G.E. Challenger
Photobucket

If, like me, you enjoy characters that are gruff, prideful curmudgeonly sorts, than you will have fun with this guy. He is a serious hoot. Trust me.

Physically, Prof. Challenger is a funhouse mirror reflection of Mr. Holmes. Instead of a tall, lanky, clean-shaven gentlemen who calmly condescends to the
Miranda Reads
Can we start with how this book (written in 1912) was based off of the "Friend Zone" ??

"Poor" Edward Malone confesses his love for a girl but she is not interested. She tries telling him nicely, rudely and all ways in between but he just doesn't get it.
She could but refuse me, and better be a repulsed lover than an accepted brother
So, finally, in a fit to be tied, she makes up some excuse - that he's not adventurous enough for her - that he's not a daring-and-dashing hero. And so, Edwar
James Tivendale
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, classics
“If in 100 years I am only known as the man who invented Sherlock Holmes then I will have considered my life a failure.” - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This review will contain minor spoilers. Although Sherlock Holmes, Dr. John Watson, Mycroft Holmes, and Professor James Moriarty are Doyle's most known creations, Professor Challenger, the hot-tempered scientist is another character that many readers will be familiar with. This is the first of the Professor Challenger series and the only one that I ha
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A young reporter Ed Malone was madly in love. The woman he loved told him he would only have a chance with her if he did something really heroic. The most heroic action his editor could think of was to send him to interview Professor Challenger notorious for throwing the reporters out of his house - literally throwing out.
Throw out

Initially poor Malone repeated the previous experience of his colleagues, but he managed to pacify the professor to tell him his story. The main idea was that the guy claimed
Jan-Maat
Silly bad. A surprisingly dull updating of Journey to the centre of the Earth (view spoiler)with extra racism, more dinosaurs, and guns. Surprisingly from the author of Sherlock Holmes, in which the stories although sometimes (always?) somewhat silly and contrived tend to have a certain cleverness to them, one has to wonder when a party of travellers ...more
Jason Koivu
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Who doesn't wish dinosaurs weren't still around? Well, maybe not the big bitey ones, but how cool would that be?! Hell, I'd even take the huge, face-ripping ones too if it were an all-or-nothing deal. I figure a little survival of the fittest would do this world good.

Since that's not likely to happen during my lifetime, I'll console myself with movies and books. The Lost World is a good place to be for those of us looking to get lost in a dino world.

This is a forerunner of the what-if history
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed by Clive on www.whisperingstories.com

After his initial success Conan Doyle spent much of his literary career trying to break free from Sherlock Holmes but public pressure and the need for a good income kept the two inexorably bound. His historical novels found little success but he achieved more with his science fiction adventures of which The Lost World was by far the most successful. And rightly so. This tale of a hidden world is full of action with many mysteries to ponder. Just
Dannii Elle
The Lost World was, in theory, very similar to the later Michael Crichton creation of the same name but, in reality, was a very different beast indeed. Both involved the discovery of dinosaurs and both focused on characters journeying into their midst, only to find their small and inconsequential figures dwarfed and endangered by a new, dominant foe.

What I found most disappointing about this novel (asides from the prevalent racism, sexism, and every other sort of prejudice that was rife in ficti
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5 rating

“So tomorrow we disappear into the unknown. This account I am transmitting down the river by canoe, and it may be our last word to those who are interested in our fate.”

Ironically the first part was better than when the actual adventure started. I think it's because the writer did not indulge in so much descriptive rambling and lengthy pauses during the build-up, which allowed that part of the story to shine triumphantly with humor, quirky characters, and fun motivations.

I loved the
kwesi 章英狮
I don't like to end the book so soon, I really love this book although I expected something gorier like dinosaur killing the whole tribe or cannibals eat human flesh. Still, I did love this book in many ways and as long as I live I'll treasure this book forever. Hey, stop looking to me like that. I can still remember all the things I read from the book. Amen.

The whole journey started when a Gazette Irish journalist named, Malone, went go straight to the house of notorious Professor Challenged cl
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of lost world/quest adventures
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Nicolle as a Buddy Read
The Lost World is a classic work of action/adventure that has a lively feel that made for a very fun read. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, best known for his Sherlock Holmes stories, has a way of writing an engaging tale. For readers who fear reading books published prior to the later 20th century out of the desire to avoid dry, stale language, I would offer up this book. Although it shows the sentiments, good and bad, for the period in which it was written, the writing tone could easily be as modern as ...more
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
“He would be a harder, sterner man, not so ready to adapt himself to a silly girl's whim. But, above all, he must be a man who could do, who could act, who could look Death in the face and have no fear of him, a man of great deeds and strange experiences. It is never a man that I should love, but always the glories he had won; for they would be reflected upon me. Think of Richard Burton!”

What? Oh this Richard Burton! I don’t want to post a photo of the explorer Burton (too many pics in this revi
Charles  van Buren
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the two original, popular "dinosaur" novels.

By Charles van Buren on May 2, 2018

Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase

This review of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's THE LOST WORLD is from the Amazon Classics edition, December 5, 2017. Reviews of this edition also appear at the Amazon listing for a different edition published by Amazon Digital Services, March 30, 2011. Appearing under both lisings are multiple reviews of Michael Crichton's THE LOST WORLD. For instance, of the 35 one star reviews
Jon Nakapalau
Almost every 'dinosaurs are alive' movie owes something to this book; a fantastic adventure story for young boys and girls that will make them curious about science and adventure.
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: plesiosaurs and pterodactyls
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: by an esteemed historic pedigree
WARNING: TERRIBLE LIZARDS CONTAINED WITHIN

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle is the literary equivalent of the plucky and elegant Caudipteryx when placed next to the stomping roaring Tyrannosaurus that represents the Hollywood mega block busters of Jurassic Park and the Lost World. If it doesn't zip along fast enough it might get squashed. But it does zip along quite speedily and has all the pre-requisites needed for a boys-own adventure story.

Specifically boys-own, because there are no ladie
Werner
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of adventure-oriented science fiction
Note, March2, 2016: I've just edited this review to correct a misspelled word.

Like one of my Goodreads friends, I should say at the outset that my review can't add much to the excellent one already written by another friend, Lady Danielle (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... ). But I'll go ahead and share my perspective anyway, for what it's worth. While I did like the book, my rating for it wasn't quite as high as most of my friends gave it (for reasons I'll indicate below). But it's a goo
Jelena
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been on an adventure!

And I’m quite glad I read this at an adult age. “The Lost World” is an adventure novel through and through, pure in its quest for new thrills and sensations, a glorious and unadulterated pulp. An old-school fantasy escapade with all its props and décor protruding out of everywhere. And how I loved it for that!

It’s a pretty safe bet that my 12-year-old self would’ve overanalysed it by acting all grown-up and intellectual, nagging at the characters’ implausible actions
Scott Rhee
“There are heroisms all round us waiting to be done. It’s for men to do them, and for women to reserve their love as a reward for such men.(p. 4)”

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s best-known literary contribution is Sherlock Holmes, the Baker Street detective who now has name recognition in every culture on the planet, with the exception, perhaps, of an occasional South American tribe sequestered in the rainforest that has yet to discover cotton underwear and wi-fi, let alone pulp novels from the late-19
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I preferred Challenger to Holmes and dug up all the Challenger stories when I was younger. I agree with the "blurb" forget the newer story by this name and read this one. Great "high adventure" you don't seem to see anymore.

Be aware that this is an older book and like others of its era it is NOT PC. There are words used in the text that were acceptable then and are not acceptable now. If you are aware of this and can read the book without it bothering you then you'll find that the book is well w
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
"Just 'cause the Postman ain't been bit lately don't mean the dog forgot how to bite." (B.E.Anthony)

In other words, "just because the book is old, doesn't mean it's not a good read." (Me)

In fact, I'll go a step further and point out that victorian and early 20th century writers like Edgar Rice Burroughs and Arthur Conan Doyle were able to do what famed writers like Micheal Crieghton struggled to do, that is overlay a science based fantasy world atop the mundane and theoretically understandab
Dfordoom
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The Lost World, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

As much as I adore the Sherlock Holmes stories it always saddens me that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s other fiction often gets overlooked. He wrote superb historical novels, some great horror short stories (including the one the movie The Mummy was based on, tales of adventure on the high seas and just about every other genre you can think of. And he wrote science fiction. Like The Lost World.

This short novel is not quite my favourite Conan Doyle science fict
Adrian
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dated but a good read. As long as one does not expect aliens and space battles, this is quite a well written and enjoyable story
Fabian {Councillor}
Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" focuses on a story about an expedition in the South American Rainforest, leading its four protagonists on a plateau which seems to surround a world believed to be long-gone. Confronted with dinosaurs like pterodactyls, iguanodons or stegosaurus, our main characters have to solve many difficult or even dramatic situations, and it's one enjoyable thing to read it.

"The Lost World" is written from the perspective of Edward Malone - at first as part of a recollec
Holly
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful novel! This was part of a children's classics set that I've had for years, and I felt something adventure-like, especially after The Thirty-Nine Steps. And it definitely fulfilled my adventure urge!

Very much like Jules Vernes' novels, The Lost World details the exploration of a hidden area in the South American jungle, where somehow the prehistoric dinosaurs and reptiles have survived. Narrated by the journalist Ed Malone, it is honestly a wonderful read

I was sitting at the edge
Christopher
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a classic tale of adventure and discovery that goes something like this:

I'm a journalist and my girlfriend doesn't want to marry me because apparently I'm not adventurous enough. So I decided to join an expedition with the narcissistic and venomous Professor Challenger to the Amazonian rain forest so that he can prove his (universally dismissed) discovery of a lost world of dinosaurs and so that I can prove my manhood to my beloved.

So we go, along with a couple other adventurers. Holy cow,
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Hey, look, it's the original Jurassic Park!

I knew A.C. Doyle wrote more than just Sherlock Holmes, but I rather forgot about it until now, when I saw this available as part of the AmazonClassics line. Narrated brilliantly by Gary Furlong, this story follows Professor Challenger and his band of three as they head to South America to prove the existence of pre-historic animals in the modern age. Told from the POV of journalist Ed Malone as a series of letters/articles, we follow our explorers as
J.G. Keely
One of the most pleasant aspects about reading adventures like those of Doyle, Wells, Kipling, and Haggard is the particular presence of the characters, their little joys and quarrels and concerns. There's this humorous self-awareness throughout the story that makes the whole thing read as if its being told, given over to the reader in a particular voice.

Certainly, this can be carried too far and made condescending, as with C.S. Lewis, but it goes to show what a winking authorial presence can l
F.R.
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to think of another long departed author, whose name is so well known to the general public, who would be so disappointed by his reputation. Conan Doyle of course saw himself as a great historical novelist, in his dreams that’s how he would have liked to have been remembered (probably he’d also have liked to be known for his spiritual writings). Instead he has an albatross smoking a pipe hung around his neck, in the form of Sherlock Holmes.

Of course after Holmes (as Mike states so corr
Jim Peterson
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, english, classics
I had never read anything by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and I didn’t want to start with his most popular work (Sherlock Holmes). The concept of a lost world discovered at a point in history when the world was not yet completely mapped out and labeled appealed to me. The Lost World was strangely appealing so I downloaded it from Project Gutenberg.

This book had so many things going against it. One of the main characters was a real bastard. Professor Challenger is a big, conceited ape of man that will
Deborah Pickstone
This was read to us when I was at school and, while very dated, I really loved it! I put it down at the start and forgot about it then just saw it was almost 2017 and it was for my geocaching challenge. Professor Challenger was absolutely the zaniest part of the book and I am sorry it was so short. I have to wonder about Arthur Conan Doyle - perhaps he wrote his own self into the books? Sherlock Holmes, Professor Challenger.......

• Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • The Invisible Man
  • The War of the Worlds
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages, #11)
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • The Island of Doctor Moreau
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • Treasure Island
  • The Mysterious Island (Extraordinary Voyages, #12)
  • The Time Machine
  • Come August, Come Freedom: The Bellows, The Gallows, and The Black General Gabriel
  • A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
  • The Persian Empire (World History)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park #2)
  • Néfertiti et Akhénaton: Le Couple Solaire
  • Monstrous Beauty
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Professor Challenger (5 books)
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger, #3)
  • When the World Screamed (Professor Challenger, #4)
  • The Disintegration Machine (Professor Challenger, #5)