All About Books discussion

Past Posts > Thanks to AAB I have read...

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments For our birthday month of August, we hope you will all join in this thread!

As this group is called All About Books, we'd like you to list all the books that you have read since August 2013 - thanks to this group. Please list books from group reads, readalongs, recommendations, recommendation swaps etc...anything that All About Books has made you want to read...

When everyone has posted, say, the end of August, we will add up the number of all the books that the group has introduced to its members this year.

Please feel free to say which books are your favourites from this first year as a group.

All credit to Charbel for this thread, by the way!

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Too many to write them down now!
I'll have to think about it, but I can honestly say that thanks to you all I've read so many books I had never even heard of that I really feel richer because of you.
Thanks

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2014 06:23AM) (new)

I have been a member since the group started so have a years worth of reads and recommendations!

1. The Eyes of the Dragon- Recommendation swap from Amber
2. Middlesex- group read May 2014
3. Jamaica Inn- readalong with Jean
4. The Book Thief- group read March 2014
5. Rebecca- group read Feb 2014
6. Devdas- Recommendation swap from Rahat
7. The Grass is Singing- Readalong
8. My Cousin Rachel- Readalong with Jean
9. The Game of Kings- Readalong with Leslie
10. Death of a Naturalist- Readalong/poetry read
11. The Death of Ivan Ilych- Readalong
12. The Importance of Being Earnest- Group Play
13. Wuthering Heights- Group classic read Nov 2013
14. Alias Grace- Group read Dec 2013
15. The Thirteenth Tale- Group read Nov 2013
16. The House on the Strand- Group read Oct 2013
17. The Light Between Oceans- Group read Aug 2013
18. A Monster Calls- Recommendation swap from Shirley
19. The Wives of Henry VIII- Non-fiction read June/July 2014
20. The Fall of the House of Usher- Readalong with Amber and others
21. Vanity Fair- Readalong
22. We Have Always Lived in the Castle- Readalong

Currently reading or planning to read in August
1. Inferno- Readalong with Jenny, Laura, Eleanora
2. Nicholas Nickleby- Readalong with Jean
3. The Uncommon Reader- Group read Aug 2014
4. Bel Canto- Recommendation Swap from Angela
5. The End of the Affair

This list doesn't include the countless books other people have recommended but I have 'unofficially' read not along with anybody in the group. It also doesn't include the 100s of additions to my TBR, kindle and my new 'want to read' shelf where I make a note of recommended books to buy at some point in the future.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2014 05:20AM) (new)

Having written it all down I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So many wonderful books!

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11717 comments Mod
I have quite a few books here. Will go through them later tonight and post them here.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Alannah wrote: "I have quite a few books here. Will go through them later tonight and post them here."

I feel like I may have more to add as other people post their lists

message 7: by EleonoraF (last edited Aug 02, 2014 06:08AM) (new)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

♪Eleonora♪ wrote: "I have my "AAB" shelf, so I can write down them easily!

I’ve been a member of this group since January 06, 2014 (I saw this information clicking "Edit", close to the line "You are a member" on the..."

What a great idea, Eleonora! I might have to think about doing that

message 9: by EleonoraF (new)

EleonoraF (eleonora1679) Heather wrote: "What a great idea, Eleonora! I might have to think about doing that "

I have a shelf for each of my favourite groups, for AAB too, obviously!!! :)

message 10: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 01, 2014 06:01AM) (new)

Chrissie I have only been a member since March 10, 2014.

I really appreciate this group. All of you are so friendly. I like the feeling of the group and through your help I have discovered new books and authors. The following are those books that I read because of this group:

Sister b/c of the swap....but I didn't like it. Doesn't matter! (1 star)

Homage to Catalonia b/c of Alice's review. I had been on my shelves for ages. (3 stars)

Bel-Ami b/c Dely thought I would like it, and I certainly did 5 stars! Good writer. Will be reading more Maupassant.

Far from the Madding Crowd(2 stars - so an improvement!). I had questions about Hardy. You all helped me pick a one. This was in fact my second try for hardy after Jude the Obscure (1 star). I want to thank Jean for all her help. OK, even if I didn't like them all that much, at least now I know he is not for me. It was particularly fun hearing different points of view.

Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie - 4 stars Just my kind of book! It was suggested for a group read but was not chosen. anyhow I read it.

The House of the Dead (3 stars)
I have had tons of fun discussing Russian classics and particularly Doostoyevsky with Dely. We both think he is an amazing author. My favorite is Crime and Punishment(5 stars). Turgenev is close and Chekhov too. I highly recommend Fathers and Sons(4 stars)

Dhanaraj recommended Hiroshima and I agree it is an essential book that should be read by all.

These are the books that I have found or discussed here in this group since March!

I intend on reading To the Lighthouse and The Rainbow because of discussions here. I am having a hard time deciding if I should try Empire Falls....I am still not so sure if it will fit me, even if it is said to be Russo's best. I have given two others of his books poor star ratings. I need help deciding!

Please keep in mind that I am stingy with my stars. Three star books means I DID like them, they are definitely worth readjng.

Let me just add that I think this is a great group. Thanks for being there.

message 11: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) This is great! Thanks to Shirley for making a thread to focus our reads, and thanks to Charbel for the initial inspired brainwave :D

I can't do this now, but will get onto it after the weekend for sure - there are so many!! (And of course that speaks for itself...)

message 12: by Cathie (last edited Aug 01, 2014 06:25AM) (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 635 comments I joined Feb 6th 2014 and have enjoyed the reads, discussions, and recommendations!

Following reads:
Middlemarch
Persuasion
To the Lighthouse - was on my tbr shelf
The Shock of the Fall
The End of the Affair

Following recommendation reads for the year:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - reading this month [was Apr read]
The Golem and the Jinni
Frankenstein
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Middlemarch by George Eliot Persuasion by Jane Austen To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf The End of the Affair by Graham Greene The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

message 13: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 02, 2014 04:49PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2030 comments Happy Birthday All About Books!

I have certainly loved being part of this group where everyone is friendly and warm and loves reading!
I'm not sure when I joined the group but I think it was nearly a year ago so must have been soon after the group started but I was not aware of this. The group and/ or group members have directly encouraged or inspired me to read :

The Light Between Oceans
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
The Night Circus
Cell (for the spooky booky challenge)
Middlemarch (still unfinished :()
Notes from Underground not sure why I read this but I know it had something to do with AAB
The Brothers Karamazov not finished but the intention is there...
Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA
The Antigallican for the sea theme
Wolf Hall yes I know the world and his wife was reading it but AAB chat inspired me to persevere.
Hard Times this might seem like an odd addition since as far as I know no-one in the group has been promoting it but Jean's enthusiasm for Dickens encouraged me to pick up the audio book.
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Welsh
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies
These last two I read because I kept searching for books beginning with an X for one of the Just for fun games.
Thanks to the group I also watched The Thirteenth Tale at Christmas but have not got round to reading yet.

Being part of the group has also inspired or encouraged me to set myself an over ambitious but fun reading challenge this year. So in some ways I could say that a lot of my current reading so far has been heavily influenced by the group. I also really enjoyed taking part in the June Readathon which spurred me on.

Thank you everyone for making reading a socially cool thing to chat about.

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Here's the books I read thanks to this book club:
The Light Between Oceans-my first book club read
Peter Pan-Book Recommendation swap
The Child Thief-Readalong with Alannah
The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales-Readalong I did with other AAB book club members for All Hallows Read
Little Men-Readalong with Leslie
Nightmare Abbey-First ever classic book club group read

message 15: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Happy Birthday to the group and congratulations to Charbel for this great idea!

I will add my books as soon as possible. I don't know if there are many because I didn't take part to any group-read and have read only few books in the readalong; but I have received some recommendations and have added a lot of new authors I must still read.

message 16: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments I will have a look at this later too, my lists won't r as long as everyone else's but I have discovered some great books and authors through the group.

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy | 422 comments Happy Birthday, everyone! Thanks to all for a year of inspiring conversation and great recommendations. We all are different ages, from different backgrounds and located all over the world but can connect through our shared love of books.

I began compiling my list but was having a difficult time doing so. My list was more than simply the group reads, buddy read-a-longs and recommendation swaps. I may see a book that, for example Jean reviewed and read her suggestion. Or, I may be inspired to read another book by an author I discovered through a Group Read.

It is safe to say that I read approximately double the amount of books that I read pre- All About Books. Importantly, I have re-discovered poetry and plays. And, I have tried audio books for the first time. All of this, and all of you, have made my life richer.

Thanks, everyone!

message 18: by Alice (last edited Aug 01, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I've been a member since April 15, 2014 and I can't thank all you AAB guys enough for the inspiration you've given me about what good books to read. Well, since I am a slow reader, the list of books I've read thanks to AAB recommendations and book reviews since becoming a member is quite short. But there are so many on my to-read list that are inspired by you (either through direct recommendations or through your wonderful reviews).

Read since April 2014:

The Kite Runner
The Wind in the Willows (recommended by Amber)
Candide
Anna Karenina (recommended by Roderick)
Of Human Bondage
The Picture of Dorian Gray (thanks to Charbel's review)
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Last Day of a Condemned Man
The Wives of Henry VIII (non-fiction group read)
Homage to Catalonia (my interest in the Spanish Civil War was inspired by Chrissie and Dhanaraj)
Pereira Declares: A Testimony (recommended by Chrissie, Dhanaraj, LauraT and dely)
Stone in a Landslide (recommended by Chrissie)
Thérèse Raquin (interest piqued by Chrissie's review)
The End of the Affair (group read; currently reading)

There are still a lot of good books on my to-read list that I've added because of AAB members' recommendations or reviews.

To name just a few:-

Jenny (recommended by Dhanaraj and Jenny)
The White Queen (recommended by Bette)
Crime and Punishment
Bel-Ami (recommended by dely)
A Tale of Two Cities (inspired by Jean)
An Officer and a Spy (recommended by Charbel)
The Paris Wife (recommended by Bette)
Pensées (Jenny's Philosophy Project)

...and many more!

I just wish I could read faster :P

Happy Birthday to AAB!

message 19: by dely (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:20PM) (new)

dely | 5214 comments I hope to don't forget some book or some member that recommended it to me!

Readalongs:
Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic
Six Characters in Search of an Author
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories
Reeds in the Wind
The Book Thief
To the Lighthouse
(I will also read Oblomov in August)

Recommendation swap:
Dove nessuno ti troverà (Alessia who disappeared from the group)
Sea of Poppies (Anastasia)
Tess of the d'Urbervilles (Everyman, reading now)
I liked a lot the first two books and I hope to like also the third one!

Books I have read reading reviews or messages of other members or received as a gift or through mail:
The Novel Cure: From Abandonment to Zestlessness: 751 Books to Cure What Ails You (Laura and I'm still reading it but thanks to this book I have read other interesting books)
The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three Novels (Dhanaraj)
Physicists (I think Leslie was talking about it in "plays")
Fräulein Else (someone, perhaps Jenny, talked about it somewhere)
Chiara di Assisi: Elogio della disobbedienza (Dhanaraj)
River of Smoke (thanks to Anastasia's recommendation I have read also the second book of the series)

And then there are a lot of books in my "wishlist" or tbr-list I haven't still read. I can remember only some author: Stefan Zweig, Sigrid Undset, Christa Wolf...
I'm sure there are a lot more but I can't remember them so I ask sorry if I have forgotten somebody's recommendation!

message 20: by Alannah (new)

In order of what I've read:

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
Carrie by Stephen King
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA by Brenda Maddox
The Child Thief by Brom
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
11/22/63 by Stephen King
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness
How I Became Stupid by Martin Page
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

message 21: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments The happiest of birthdays to All About Books! I have met so many lovely people here, people like me who love reading and I have been introduced to so many great books. I will try to compile a list over the weekend.

AAB members have also introduced me to many fantastic poems and poets in the Poetry Chat and Monday Poem threads. I look forward to these posts as much as I love the book ideas members give me.

Thank you everyone in AAB for your books, your comments, your reviews and your friendship. A huge thanks to our wonderful Moderators for our varied and enjoyable threads.

message 22: by B the BookAddict (last edited Aug 01, 2014 01:59PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments My books read via AAB; some I remember who recommended them to me and some I do not.

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman
The World Without You by Joshua Henkin
The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley Literary History thread
Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman
The Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser AAB Non-Fiction Read
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie via Heather
Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir via Chrissie
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie via Heather in Rec Swap. many, many thanks!
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
My Notorious Life by Kate Manning via Angela
The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure via Chrissie (?)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman via Angela's rec
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler via Literary History thread on F Scott Fitgerald
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt via Angela's rec
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker via Angela's rec
Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera via Angela's rec
White Teeth by Zadie Smith

I haven't listed re-read here. Thanks to Jean's reviews I have read the last 3 Inspector Morse novels. Thanks to AAB threads etc, I have re-read Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Pale View of Hills and Jane Eyre

I suspect that quite a few of the unacknowledged books here were sourced via Diane S's reviews. Diane reads what I like to read and she always writes a well critiqued review which makes my decision easy.

message 23: by Pink (last edited Aug 01, 2014 02:34PM) (new)

Pink Happy 1st birthday everyone! I've been a member since the start and have read many, many good books because of this group. In some instances I've been given the extra push to pick something up that I already own, but I've especially enjoyed reading things that I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

Here's my list of books I've read because of this group

Group reads:
The Importance of Being Earnest glad to be given the push to read
The Night Circus wouldn't have considered by myself
Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA great new discovery
A History of Reading so so
Nightmare Abbey never heard of before
The Problems of Philosophy arghhh
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society sweet story
Burial Rites nice new fiction
Middlemarch still listening to on audiobook

Readalongs:
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man tricky
Lolita read alone in the end, but so glad I did
We Have Always Lived in the Castle new author to me
Jane Eyre fantastic
The Snow Child enjoyable
Robinson Crusoe I'd cry if I had to read it again
The Grass is Singing nice surprise
My Cousin Rachel ah the start of lovely du murier readalongs
Jamaica Inn another good offering by du maurier

message 24: by Alannah (new)

Unrelated note: It's great to see you again Pink.

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica | 862 comments I've only been a member since November last year but thanks to AAB I've read:

The Shadow of the Wind - "Pick my next read" thread
The Snow Child - recommended by Angela in the last recommendation swap
Out - the "Around the World" thread and yearly challenge
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - the "Around the World" yearly challenge
Marcel - the "Around the World" yearly challenge
The Girl who married an Eagle - the "Around the World" yearly challenge
Jasper Jones - the "Around the World" yearly challenge.

I haven't done too many group reads this year...I should do more :) Looking forward to another year!

message 26: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I've been a member since just after the beginning of the year, I believe. These are the books that I have read thanks to some of you. I'm sure I may have forgotten some because I have not kept tract.

The Street Sweeper
Code Name Verity

These were recommended to me by my "book twin " Bette. We have called each other that because when we became Goodreads friends, we each had the most number of books in common than with any of our other friends. If she writes one of her wonderful, passionate reviews, I know I have to read the book. I'm sure there are more that I can't remember and definitely a good number on my to read list.

Prayers for the Stolen
Radiance of Tomorrow

I'm sure I read these because of great reviews by Diane S. I consider her a librarian's librarian. She points me in the direction of what's new and worth reading and if you know me at all by now you know I am a sucker for new releases. There are a good number of titles on my to read list because of Diane's great selections.

The Painted Girls

Terri's review influenced me to read this book and I'm glad I did. If Terri rates something 4 or 5 stars I have to add it to my list. Yes, we know we are both generous with out stars.

A Trip to the Stars

This was my first read-along which I did with Tracey. I loved reading it with her and checking GR in the morning to see her message. I miss our lovely Tracey and hope she is back on AAB soon!

Jasper Jones

Erica recommended this for my first recommendation swap. I loved it and was so glad she chose this book because I probably would not have discovered it otherwise.

Stoner

This was my first group read-along and an interesting discussion and some different points of view thanks to Jenny, Katy, Laura, Diane, et al

In the Fall

Marjory added this to her list and reminded me of how much I enjoyed Jeffrey Lent's writing. We did a buddy read for his debut book which I had not read.

The Uncommon Reader

I just finished this for the group and loved it.

The House by the Dvina: A Russian Childhood

This is what Chrissie recommended to me for the swap so I soon will be adding this to my books read. I'm looking forward to it.

I have to mention Beth here for our really good discussions of The Goldfinch which I did read before I was a member. We have had a number of other good discussions as well. Thanks, Beth.

Last but not least, I have to mention as I may have before how Jean and I became friends. Most people become Goodreads friends because they find that they like the same kind of books , but for Jean and I it was because we disliked (putting it mildly) the same book and we've been Goodreads friends evver since.

Sorry for the lengthy discussion, but I wanted to be sure that I included a little bit about who inspired me to read these books

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 508 comments I just checked and I joined this group on August 26, 2013 and I have made 253 comments - which just means that I talk as much as I read - LOL!

I've read a lot of the same books that the group has - some I read before I joined so I was able to be a part of the discussion but I love the opportunity to discuss the books that we have all read and there are quite a few people who, when they rate a book 5 stars, it immediately goes on my TBR - I think I am Angela's Number 1 Book Stalker - I am always looking to see what she is reading and checking her ratings and reviews. Shirley, Bette, Terri and Pink have also influenced my reading choices and we have all had great conversation about what we are reading.

Happy Birthday, AAB!

message 28: by Angela M (new)

Angela M @Beth ,
I'm flattered ! I couldn't ask for a nicer stalker . :-) You pick some pretty good ones yourself !

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 508 comments Angela wrote: "@Beth ,
I'm flattered ! I couldn't ask for a nicer stalker . :-) You pick some pretty good ones yourself !"

:)

message 30: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments I have only been an AAB member since June this year, so my list is extremely short. I was drawn to this group because of the fantastic discussions I saw here. Primarily about books, which is what I was searching for, but also about a multitude of other topics. Everyone is so friendly and genuine, I love it!
I have read 2 group reads since June
Burial Rites
The Night Circus
Both of which I loved, and neither of which I had heard of before, so Thank You!
Today I picked up
The Uncommon Reader
The End of the Affair
From the library, and I can't wait to get into them.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:19AM) (new)

My reading horizons have been expanded in such a good way by AAB. I became a member on November 29. 2013. I've gotten great recommendations and ides from Dhanaraj, Bette, Angela, Jean, Beth, Pink, and Gill. (I'm sure I've missed someone.) I'm always looking for ideas from all of you. Here are some of the books I've read:

Loot and Medea (seasonal plays)
The Round House (group read)
The Wives of Henry VIII (group nonfiction read)
The Deptford Trilogy: Fifth Business, The Manticore, and World of Wonders (a reread for me, but I did it in such great company!)
Fernando Pessoa and Co.: Selected Poems and The Book of Disquiet (seasonal poet)
Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie (recommended by Dhanaraj)
A Grief Observed (another reread, but recommended by Dhanaraj at a time I really needed it)
The Towers of Trebizond (I can't remember exactly which thread I saw this mentioned in, but I really loved this book)

I've read 31 books for the Around-the-World challenge, but I won't list them all here. I'm looking forward this month to reading The Uncommon Reader, The End of the Affair, and A Room of One's Own.

I'd also like to say that AAB was a tremendous support to me (and continues to be) at a time of great personal tragedy. Many of you know I lost my older son to a drug overdose last April. It was such a dark time, and sometimes is like that even today. The wonderful, compassionate, giving members of AAB help me make it through the days. I can't imagine my life without you all. So a deep thank you to each of you, and Happy Birthday to all!

message 33: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Reading the comments here is a pleasure. AAB is a group of dedicated members who are very eager to help the other reader with some wonderful recommendations or to pushing a member to try out a new genre.

Here are the few books that I read thanks t the group:
1. The Street of Crocodiles - an excellent book and he was a new author whom I have never even heard of. It was a recommendation from Jenny.
2. Rebecca - A Monthly Group Read.
3. The Clown - A readalong with Jenny.
4. A Model Childhood - A Readalong with Jenny, Gill and Laura T.
5. The Quest for Christa T. - A readalong with Jenny.
6. The Rings of Saturn - A readalong with Jenny.
7. Vertigo - A readalong with Jenny, Gill and Diane S.
8. Jenny - A readalong with Jenny and Diane S.
9. To the Lighthouse - A readalong with Shirley, Diane S. and Cathie.
10. Reeds in the Wind - A readalong with dely.

This is for the time being. I will add to the list when I remember some more books that I came in contact thanks to AAB.

Viva AAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 34: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2030 comments Terri wrote: "My reading horizons have been expanded in such a good way by AAB. I became a member on November 29. 2013. I've gotten great recommendations and ides from Dhanaraj, Bette, Angela, Jean, Beth, Pink, ..."

The Towers of Trebizond.... That was me! I'm so glad you discovered it and loved it. It was recommended to me over 20 years ago by a dear friend but it took me 18 years to locate a copy!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Tweedledum! I got so much pleasure out of this book!

message 36: by Book Ninja (new)

Book Ninja | 213 comments Happy Birthday AAB! It has been a fun year. For me without AAB Goodreads is nothing :) I'm happy to be a part of it. I have read a lot more since joining goodreads, but with AAB I have read:

Christmas at Tiffany's
The Yellow Wallpaper
Hunter by Wil Wheaton
The Thief of Always
The Velveteen Rabbit
Whistling Past the Graveyard
Rebecca
The Book Thief
The Night Circus

message 38: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
As I supposed a lot of books: soe because I've been told they were good by people here, some for our readalongs or group reads, others as suggestion swaps.
Hope I've not left out anything:
L. M. Steadman, La luce sugli oceani
Bill Richardson, Waiting for Gertrude
Emile Zola, Il ventre di Parigi
Janet Evonovich, One for the money
Daphne Du Marier, The House on the Strand
Susanna Kaysen, Girl interrupted
Susanna Kaysen, Girl interrupted
Christa Wolf, Trama d'infanzia
Joseph Heller, Comma 22
Emile Zola, La conquista di Plassant
Dorothy Cannell, She Shoots to Conquer
Dorothy Cannell, How to Murder the Man of your Dreams
Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes Were Watching God
Brom, The child Thief
Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
Alberto Manguel, A History of reading
Thomas Love Peacock Nightmare Abbey
Emile Zola, Abbe Mouret's Transgression
Daphne Du Marier, My Cousin Rachel
Doris Lessing The Golden Notebook
Dorothy Dunnett, The Game of Kings
Tony Danza, I'd like to apologize to every teacher I had
Bertrand Russel, The Problems of Philosophy
Doris Lessing The Grass is singing
Mathew Green, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Lauren Beukes The Shining Gilrs
Dorothy Cannell, The thin woman
Alan Bradley, The Sweetness at the bottom of the Pie
Cassandra Clare, Cit of Ashes
Anthony Trollope, Is He Popenjoy
Graham Green, The third man
Dorothy Dunnett, Queen's Play
Platone La Repubblica
Ernest Cline, Ready Player One
Daphne Du Marier, A Venezia ...un dicembre rosso shocking
Halldor Laxness, Independent People
Nathan Filer, The Shock of the Fall
Emile Zola, L'assommoir
Arundhati Roy, Il dio delle piccole cose
Jeffrey Eugenides, Middlesex
Catherine Dunnett, The Disorderly Knights
John Williams, Stoner
Julina Barnes The Sense of an Ending
W G Sebald, Vertigo
Lisa Lee, Fiore di neve e il ventaglio segreto
Eleonor Cotton, The Luminaires
Louise Erdrich, The Round House
Giffin Emily Something Borrowed
Kerstin Gier, In verità è meglio mentire
Stephen Crane, The Red Badge of Courage
Catherine Dunne, La metà di niente
Antonia Fraser Le sei mogli di Enrico VIII
Max Beerbohm, Zuleika Dobson
Emile Zola, A Love Episode
Ford Maddox Ford, The Good Soldier
Dorothy Dunnett, Pawn in Frankincense
Lawrence Hill, The Book of Negroes
Alan Bennett, La sovrana Lettrice
Jojo Moyes, Me before You
Ford Maddox Ford, The Fifth Queen

message 39: by Garyfalia (new)

Garyfalia I'm fairly new to the group- I've been a member since April so the list isn't very long but here goes: I've read both Classics group reads Persuasionand The Brothers Karamazovand I plan to read The End of the Affairas well. I've also read Burial Riteswhich was really interesting and The Uncommon Readerwhich was quite entertaining. I'm currently reading A Collection of Essayswhich I greatly enjoy (I think it was the non-fiction runner up) and I plan to read A Room of One's Ownas well. Last but not least I've read The Woman in Whitein a readalong so not a bad pile after all. What I love about this group is its versatility - you are introduced to books of virtually all kinds and eras.

message 40: by Bionic Jean (last edited Aug 09, 2014 06:39AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) What a lovely thread this has proved to be, Charbel :)

What strikes me is that everyone's reading is unique to them. Some books are repeatedly mentioned, but maybe not as many as one would expect. Yet these are the books we select, from those we have read over the year, which we know we have read because of this group! How fantastic it is that it is so diverse; that we are all using the group in such different ways. Here's my list:

Fiction:

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood group fiction (I think it was classified as this) read
Peter Pan by J M Barrie recommendation by Tracey
Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr. around-the-world challenge
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens readalong with Tracey, which prompted my personal challenge :)
Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens personal Dickens challenge which has morphed into readalongs :)
The Pickwick Papers ditto
Oliver Twist ditto
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier group fiction read. The one which started it all off!
Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier continuing Daphne du Maurier readalongs
My Cousin Rachel ditto
Rebecca ditto
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald a curious case indeed! I had promised to read this for another group, but was already feeling a bit fed up having slogged my way through a long (and completely different author's) trilogy I didn't like, to find others had dropped out. Pink encouraged me to try this novella anyway :)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn opinions of this within the group were so polarised, I had to give it a go! Mentioned here as our mutual dislike of the book led Angela and I to become friends ;)
The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder "Has anyone read?" recommendation by Jenny - reading at the moment
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman around-the-world challenge
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee readalong with Shirley and around-the-world challenge
The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing ditto
The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay recommendation by John
Changing Places by David Lodge almost a readalong with Leslie (not quite time-coordinated! LOL)
Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock group classic read
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe readalong with Amber. Continuing personal reads because of our American members' reverence for Edgar Allan Poe.
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield group fiction read
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray readalong with Heather and others
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham spurred on to a reread by Pink
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak group fiction read

Non-Fiction:

Magnificent desolation by Buzz Aldrin around-the-world challenge
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote non-fiction group read
Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World by Simon Callow personal Dickens challenge plus recommended by Gill
Billy Connolly, Journey to the Edge of the World by Billy Connolly around-the-world challenge
How to Expand Love: Widening the Circle of Loving Relationships by Dalai Lama XIV around-the-world challenge
Scenes and Characters from the Works of Charles Dickens / Being Eight Hundred and Sixty-six Pictures Printed From the Original Wood Blocks by Charles Dickens personal Dickens challenge
The Drunken Forest by Gerald Durrell around-the world challenge
Enchanted: The Faerie and Fantasy Art of Linda Ravenscroft by Linda Ravenscroft recommended by Bette and others
A cry from the wild by Lissa Ruben around-the-world challenge
The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell philosophy group read
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot group non-fiction read

Poetry and Plays: these whole genres were prompted for me by Jenny (poetry) and Leslie (plays)

Evening: Poetry of Anna Akhmatova poetry group read. Now additionally friends with the translator
Rosary Poetry of Anna Akhmatova ditto - he sent me these to proof-read :)
The Years Between by Daphne du Maurier continuing Daphne du Maurier readalongs
The Road Not Taken and Other Selected Poems by Robert Frost poetry group read
35 Sonnets by Fernando Pessoa poetry group read
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare recommendation by Tracey
View With a Grain of Sand: Selected Poems by Wisława Szymborska recommendation by Dhanaraj - (wonderful poems; unfortunately I did not read them all)
The Poetry of Derek Walcott 1948-2013 by Derek Walcott from "This Day in Literary History" thread by Leslie - ditto
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde spurred on by Leslie

Graphic Novels: whole genre recommendation by Amber. I would never have ventured into these but for her, and Robert too :)

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Gorn Crisis by Kevin J. Andersen
Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation by Ray Bradbury
The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger specifically recommended by Amber
The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel by Rick Riordan

I think about half my reading can be specifically attributed to "All About Books". This is at best an attempt to document it. For there are many occasions when a conversation has led into a certain area, a thought has been sparked, an idea developed, and it's impossible to record all these. Many of these authors were new to me. Some are rereads, yet I find I come to each with fresh eyes, thanks both to the discussions I have had with others, and the research I have been prompted to do for myself. Now when I look back at what I have read, I have a much clearer idea of the books than previously. I am reminded of the whole experience, and it is lovely.

Dhanaraj continues to enlighten me as to world literature and poetry. Rowena brings me bang up to date with sociological works, and authors on ethnicity whom I may have missed. Her reviews are a treat. Americans and those "down under" expand my world view. Other Europeans astound me with their knowledge about literature, placing English literature within its proper context. Yet I think of Laura as our Anthony Trollope expert. I share her enthusiasm for the author - but she enlightens me about Italian literature too. Chrissie, Charbel, Roderick, Terri, Tweedledum, Alice - I daren't go on as I know I will miss someone out! But thank you to you all. My eyes are continually being opened by this wonderful group :) And it is an exciting privilege to also see someone, perhaps a younger or less experienced reader, coming to a well-loved book for the first time, and maybe to be able to share a little advice and/or ideas with them.

Oh and a PS. If you'd like to read my ideas about any of the book on this list, I have reviewed them all (except for one I did not finish), and they are accessible to all readers, "friends" or not.

Finally a big thank you to all those who click "like" on my reviews. It is lovely for me to know who has read them, and makes the effort worthwhile :)