Start by marking “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  34,304 Ratings  ·  2,848 Reviews
Today, F. Scott Fitzgerald is known for his novels, but in his lifetime, his fame stemmed from his prolific achievement as one of America's most gifted story writers. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," a witty and fantastical satire about aging, is one of his most memorable stories.

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. At
Published August 14th 2007 by Scribner (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, please sign up.

Ammu Shiri If I have guess I would say Mr.Roger Button died after 1895 but before 1906. I think it probably happened between 1895-1898, because in 1898…moreIf I have guess I would say Mr.Roger Button died after 1895 but before 1906. I think it probably happened between 1895-1898, because in 1898 Benjamin's "home had for him so little charm that he decided to join the army".

But then it could also have happened when he was at war and maybe that's why there is no account of what happened in Benjamin's family at that time.

And given the fact that Benjamin is the only "curious case", I think it is safe to assume his father actually did die !(less)

Jason Koivu
Oct 18, 2010 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you read this backwards it totally makes sense!
Brina
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald is the short story selection in the group catching up on classics for May 2017. This story was first published in Colliers Magazine in 1922 and describes Fitzgerald's views on aging in satirical form. While ageism has become a timely topic today, Fitzgerald first grappled with the issue nearly one hundred years ago.

Benjamin Button was "born" to Mr and Mrs Roger Button in 1860. In the place of the bundle of joy the Buttons expected, they
Nandakishore Varma
Goodreads is serendipitous! I have been planning to read this for a long time, but somehow kept on putting it off. I suddenly came across Fatty Bolger's review in my feed. It was during my lunch hour, so I Googled for a free version online, found it, and read it.

Surprisingly, I liked the story a lot better than I was expecting to. Unlike the movie, which has a heavy dose of pathos, the story is an out-and-out fantasy based on an outlandish premise: what would happen if one aged in reverse? This
Paquita Maria Sanchez
First of all, how is there an entire movie here? Yeah, yeah, it would probably be best to come back to that.

My overall vote is "meh?" From a clunky start, this short story waxes and wanes in a similar fashion to its title character. All that I could think while reading the first two sections was how Fitzgerald's dialogue and descriptions of character behavior were the literary equivalent of cutting paper dolls out of vellum and proclaiming them to be sentient creatures. Along with being generall
Araz Goran
أصابتني قشعريرة خوف ورهبة وأنا أقرأ قصة بينجامين بتن ، بكل ما فيها من غموض وغرابة وخيال مرعب .. من المؤلم أن يرى الإنسان نفسه يتقدم في العمر، كأنها قضمات الزمن تنهش النفس والبدن ولا حيلة الأنسان في إيقاف مجرى الزمن .. ولكن ماذا لو إنقلب الأمر على نحو معاكس فصارت عجلة الزمن تزحف للوراء والعمر يتأخر بدل أن يتقدم وكل شئ ينحدر من الأعلى نحو الأسفل وتمضي السنوات نحو الماضي في عالم مشابه لعالمنا، أدركت عند قراءة قصة حياة بينجامين بتن أن الألم قد يكون مضاعفاً على هذا النحو ولا يختلف الأمر تماماً عما يش ...more
Duane
Most everyone knows the premise of this story; a man is born old, already smart and wise, and as he "ages" he becomes younger in body and mind. It makes me think of another saying, "you are who you are", but actually, throughout your life, you are a different person at different times. You look different, you act different, you think different, you are perceived different during the various stages of your life. I've read most of what Fitzgerald wrote and I think this is one of his best stories. ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I’ve seen the movie (twice), and I’ve been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button is born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth. And all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Oct 06, 2016 Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Would you like getting younger as you age? Literally?
description

★★★★★★★★★☆[9/10]

❓If you happen to meet your kids and grandkids on your way down to childhood, will they regard you as their peer or their nemesis?

❓Will they embrace you with arms wide open or regard you with vitriolic contempt?

❓Will you still love your wife's wrinked skin and mellow body or will she cease to interest you as you seek the company of prettier, younger women?

❓Would you want to unlearn everything as you age(or un-age) without even a faint memory of ever having accomplished wonderf
Amanda
Oct 28, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-log, audiobooks
Yay! I finally completed my first audiobook. This isn't exactly a great feat seeing as this story is only about 1 hour and 20 minutes, but it was the perfect length for my walk and recent time constraints.

This was such a pleasurable read and worthy of the short amount of time needed to complete. This story is quite different from the movie, but I found it preferable. Even though I am more of a visual learner, the audio version gave me a chance to truly appreciate the writing skills of Fitzgerald
Jean
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a strange little fantasy about a baby born in 1860, who appears to be a withered decrepit old man. He goes on to live his life in reverse, doing all the normal things - running a business, marrying and having children, going to war, attending school and college, and ending up in kindergarten and under the care of a nurse. It was written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. Clearly it is a social satire.

In his introduction, Fitzgerald says that he came across a sim
Sara Kamjou
ایدهی واقعا جالبی بود. من فیلمش رو چندین سال پیش دیدم و اصلا نمیدونستم کتاب داره تا اینکه طاقچه آوردش.
باید بگم جز استثناهایی که فیلم از کتاب بهتره بود. فیلم واقعا پرداخت قویتر و منسجمتری داره. همین مقداری هم که با شخصیت توی کتاب ارتباط برقرار کردم به لطف پیشزمینهای بود که از فیلمش داشتم وگرنه خیلی دم دستی ارائه شده بود.
در مجموع دیدن فیلمش رو توصیه میکنم و با نخوندن کتابش هیچ چیزی رو از دست نمیدین.
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." -Søren Kirkegaard

This wonderful short story blurs a lot of lines. It's definitely a satire about aging and how it affects one's position in society, but it's also unequivocally a bittersweet tragedy. A whimsical odyssey in reverse, a story of falling in and out of love, a rumination on memory, a chronicle of one odd branch of a family tree.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button truly is all of these things, but first and forem
Inder Suri
I have never read anything like this before.
When you pick up a book and you know that it is more a short-story than a novel, it's obvious you can't expect much from the book. It will either be a short tale telling you something related to a significant subject and maximum it can do is to give you a heartwarming and a satisfying ending.

But this book was something more. It was different. Yes, like many others, I already knew those two words very strongly related to this book i.e, "Aging Backwards"
Maria Clara
Un cuento fácil y rápido de leer. Creo que poca cosa más puedo decir, salvo que está bien.
Maria Bikaki
Γρήγορο και μικρό ανάγνωσμα για βράδυ Σαββάτου που είσαι έτοιμος για μια έξαλλη νύχτα έχοντας βάλει πυτζάμες από το απόγευμα, έχοντας ετοιμάσει πλήρη λίστα των ταινιών που θα δεις και για καλό και για κακό βάζεις και το κινητό στο αθόρυβο μην και τολμήσει και χτυπήσει και όχι τίποτα άλλο άντε να βρεις δικαιολογία να μην πας πουθενά αφού είχες πονοκέφαλο 9 στα 10 προηγουμενα Σαββατοκύριακα.
Εντάξει αφου σας ανέλυσα το social life μου γιατί πραγματικά άλλο καημό δεν είχατε το νιώθω ας περάσουμε και
Paula W
Apr 21, 2017 Paula W rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I liked this considering my apathy for Gatsby. This was funny, sad, enlightening, and way ahead of its time.
Connie
Apr 26, 2017 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a humorous, quirky story about Benjamin Button who is born as a 70 year old, and ages backwards into infancy. It made me think about age and identity. The story also showed the frail condition present in both old age and infancy where people need help from others.

As he aged backwards, Benjamin became a peer to his grandfather, his father, his son, and eventually his grandson. The changing relationships between Benjamin and his other male family members, as well as his wife, are a big par
Kaylin
Jun 22, 2017 Kaylin rated it it was ok
...did I somehow miss the entire point of this story? Or does it just not have one?

This short-story focuses on Benjamin Button, who in a 'curious' turn of events, is born an elderly man and ages in reverse. As the story takes us through his life, we see how age really determines our circumstances.

But the story rambles around, filled with clumsy logistical issues (what happens to Benjamin's mother? Why is she never mentioned at all? How did she give birth to a 70 year old man without dying??) a
Hayat
Dec 19, 2015 Hayat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I've watched and enjoyed the brilliant movie adaptation of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button so when I came across the very short audiobook on YouTube, I couldn't resist.

“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.”
Benjamin Button is born in 1860 as an old man and begins to slowly and mysteriously age backward to the bewilderment and consternation of his family.

The whole thing is a metaphor for the inevitable march of time and our inescapable fate...ageing and de
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Originally published as a short-story in Collier's magazine's "Tales of the Jazz Age" in 1922, Fitzgerald's quirky, fairy-tale-like story of a man born at age seventy who gets younger has been widely available as a novella for many years. This collector's edition has been released to coincide with the movie: it's a lovely little black hardcover with glossy pages and wonderful colour illustrations by Calef Brown.

Benjamin Button was born in 1860 at age 70: bald, shrunken, with a long beard and a q
tyranus
Jun 08, 2016 tyranus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* Emin olmadığınız bir soruyla karşılaştığınızda, ilk aklınıza gelen şıkkı işaretleyin; çünkü ilk akla gelen çoğu zaman doğrudur denirdi hepimize. Ama her zaman öyle olmuyor işte, bazen istisnalar da oluyor. Bu kitap da bahsettiğim istisnalardan biri oldu benim için. İlk okuduğumda fantastik bir hikaye olarak değerlendirmiştim sanırım. İkinci kere okuduğumda anladım ki, kitap aslında bir toplum eleştirisidir. Tüm farklılıklarına rağmen tüm çocukları/bireyleri bilinen bir yolda, kabul edilen yön ...more
Sara
May 25, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
An interesting, sometimes humorous, account of a man who lives his life backward. He is born quite old and gets younger. Once you have disassociated yourself from the impossibility of any woman surviving such a birth and the idea that any man would accept that this even older man is his son, you begin to have a view of Benjamin Button as a soul sadly out of time. Not, therefore, much unlike some of the rest of us, who are living our lives in forward time and having just as difficult a time fitti ...more
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
I read the book after watching the movie and generally, I always read the book first if it came out first. And Fitzgerald definitely came out before movies and films :)!

Loved both but especially the book. I found it amusing that Fitzgerald was almost mocking little Benjamin whose entire dilemma he had created in his imagination.... And it is a very deeply reflective book - I don't know why but I kept thinking about my own life and what it would feel like to age backwards ...

The writing is exquis
Ziba
Mar 12, 2015 Ziba rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! In no way did this feel like a short-story. Incredible journey. Loved it!
David Sarkies
Feb 12, 2012 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: Brad Pitt
Shelves: modernist
A rather dry collection of short stories
20 February 2012

When I first saw this book in Dymocks I thought 'oh, the movie is based on a book by F. Scott Fitzgerald!' and I bought it (not that I have seen the film). However, I discovered that this book was actually a collection of short stories by the same author, and while I enjoyed the first two stories, I pretty quickly became lost after that and found most of them quite boring and dry. However, as I always try to do, I read through to the end
A-Ile Self-hallucination
إن قراءة عمل بعد مشاهدة فيلم صُنع منها، أشبه بفقد البريق الذي تحتويه في صفحاتها. هذا ما يجري.
مع ذلك لا يمكن لي القول أن القصة غر ممتعة حقاً. تخيلت أثناء القراءة بذلك الأثر الغريب التي فعلته عند صدورها، إنها نوع من القصص الغريبة التي يمكن أن تخلق أنواع من التأثير على قارئها. قصة في الإدراك والوعي، إذا أُجيز قول ذلك.
إنها عمل لطيف ومسلي ومتجدد. تفتح أفقاً خفيفاً للتأمل عن تجربة لا يمكن أن نعيشها، ذلك الخيال الخصب والمفعم. إن القصص التي تُخلق في عدم إمكانية حصولها هي قصص مثيرة، وهذا ما فعله سكوت. ذل
Tempo de Ler
'O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button' é um dos livros que me ofereceu mais prazer a contemplar as implicações do seu conteúdo do que propriamente a lê-lo.

Este livro é a narrativa apressada das memórias de vida de Benjamin; voando sobre as diversas fases da sua vida, sem perder tempo, debruçando-se apenas sobre o essencial. A excêntrica particularidade destas memórias é que a vida de Benjamin decorreu no sentido inverso: nasceu idoso e à medida que 'envelhece' fica cada vez mais novo.

Mas não nos d
Corinne
This short story begins as Mr. Roger Button is bustling about Baltimore, waiting for the birth of his first born child. The reception he receives as he arrives at the hospital gives him hints that all is NOT right with his child. And it is a MOST curious case: young Button was born old - as in, beard, watery eyes, wrinkles. OLD. Benjamin, as he's named, prefers cigars over rattles and is more comfortable with his grandfather than other tots.

What's even more interesting is that Benjamin grows you
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Shrek!
  • The Matrix
  • Madame Doubtfire
  • V for Vendetta
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 1 (Akuma no Hanayome, #1)
  • The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Memento mori
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Beyond Lies the Wub
  • Memento
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“You’re just the romantic age,” she continued- “fifty. Twenty-five is too worldly wise; thirty is apt to be pale from overwork; forty is the age of long stories that take a whole cigar to tell; sixty is- oh, sixty is too near seventy; but fifty is the mellow age. I love fifty.” - Hildegarde” 78 likes
“Sometimes we’re on a collision course, and we just don’t know it. Whether it’s by accident or by design, there’s not a thing we can do about it. A woman in Paris was on her way to go shopping, but she had forgotten her coat - went back to get it. When she had gotten her coat, the phone had rung, so she’d stopped to answer it; talked for a couple of minutes. While the woman was on the phone, Daisy was rehearsing for a performance at the Paris Opera House. And while she was rehearsing, the woman, off the phone now, had gone outside to get a taxi. Now a taxi driver had dropped off a fare earlier and had stopped to get a cup of coffee. And all the while, Daisy was rehearsing. And this cab driver, who dropped off the earlier fare; who’d stopped to get the cup of coffee, had picked up the lady who was going to shopping, and had missed getting an earlier cab. The taxi had to stop for a man crossing the street, who had left for work five minutes later than he normally did, because he forgot to set off his alarm. While that man, late for work, was crossing the street, Daisy had finished rehearsing, and was taking a shower. And while Daisy was showering, the taxi was waiting outside a boutique for the woman to pick up a package, which hadn’t been wrapped yet, because the girl who was supposed to wrap it had broken up with her boyfriend the night before, and forgot.

When the package was wrapped, the woman, who was back in the cab, was blocked by a delivery truck, all the while Daisy was getting dressed. The delivery truck pulled away and the taxi was able to move, while Daisy, the last to be dressed, waited for one of her friends, who had broken a shoelace. While the taxi was stopped, waiting for a traffic light, Daisy and her friend came out the back of the theater. And if only one thing had happened differently: if that shoelace hadn’t broken; or that delivery truck had moved moments earlier; or that package had been wrapped and ready, because the girl hadn’t broken up with her boyfriend; or that man had set his alarm and got up five minutes earlier; or that taxi driver hadn’t stopped for a cup of coffee; or that woman had remembered her coat, and got into an earlier cab, Daisy and her friend would’ve crossed the street, and the taxi would’ve driven by. But life being what it is - a series of intersecting lives and incidents, out of anyone’s control - that taxi did not go by, and that driver was momentarily distracted, and that taxi hit Daisy, and her leg was crushed.”
74 likes