Start by marking “A Midsummer Night's Dream” as Want to Read:
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Read Book* *Different edition

A Midsummer Night's Dream

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  403,314 ratings  ·  6,901 reviews
Shakespeare's intertwined love polygons begin to get complicated from the start--Demetrius and Lysander both want Hermia but she only has eyes for Lysander. Bad news is, Hermia's father wants Demetrius for a son-in-law. On the outside is Helena, whose unreturned love burns hot for Demetrius. Hermia and Lysander plan to flee from the city under cover of darkness but are pur ...more
Paperback, Folger Shakespeare Library, 298 pages
Published July 2016 by Simon & Schuster Paperbacks (first published 1595)

To ask other readers questions about A Midsummer Night's Dream, please sign up.
xX_Cain_Xx Cause that's how books are made, they have pages.
xX_Cain_Xx AHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHA I GET IT CAUSE I DEFINITELY SAW THE MOVIE LOL

·  403,314 ratings  ·  6,901 reviews

Madeline
May 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A Midsummer Night's Dream, abridged.

DEMETRIUS: I love Hermia!

LYSANDER: Shut up, I love her MORE. Anyway, you already hooked up with Helena.

DEMETRIUS: Who?

HERMIA: I want to marry Lysander but I'm already engaged to Demetrius and he won't leave me alone! Two hot boys are in love with me, WHY IS MY LIFE SO HARD?

HELENA: FUCK. YOU. ALL.

TITANIA: Hey Oberon, I got a new Indian baby from one of my dead servants.

OBERON: I want that kid - hand it over, or I'll punish you with bestiality.

PUCK: Holy shi
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really liked it when Lysander called Hermia an acorn.
Bill  Kerwin
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing

Re-reading the play this time, I couldn't stop thinking of of The Magic Flute.

Like Mozart's opera, Shakespeare's play may have a silly plot composed of fanciful, seemingly arbitrary elements, yet, through the power of absolute artistic mastery, the framework of what might otherwise be nothing but a second-rate masque is transformed, by the unwearied attention of genius--and in Shakespeare's case, sublime poetry--into a work of great resonance, an archetypal myth.
İntellecta
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"Ein Sommernachtstraum"is one of the top references as a classic. In the beginning, it is difficult to get there, but once you get used to the style, it is quite an entertaining, beautiful and confused story about the back and forth of the love affair. A must for interested in Shakespear and theater.
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream is a comedy written by William Shakespeare in 1595/96. It portrays the events surrounding the marriage of Theseus, the Duke of Athens, to Hippolyta, the former queen of the Amazons. These include the adventures of four young Athenian lovers and a group of six amateur actors (the mechanicals) who are controlled and manipulated by the fairies who inhabit the forest in which most of the play is set. The play is one of Shakespea
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to A Midsummer Night's Dream, a comedy written in 1595 by William Shakespeare. What a fun read! I first read this in high school and then again in college as part of a course on Shakespeare. Then I watched a few movie versions. It's full of so much humor and creativity. The plot is essentially the impacts of magic, as some fairy dust causes everyone to fall in love with the first person they see -- once the dust falls on them. Imagine the hilarity that ensues in a
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أولا اعترف "خجلا" أن دي أول قراءة ليا لشكسبير، وبالصدفة جائت باسبوع الجودريدز له

فمن أول ابريل وانا بروايات الغابات أُجيل

لاقرا للشاعر المسرحي الجليل، بلغته الاصلية جنبا للغة هذا الجيل

لقد بهرتني المسرحية بحق كيف لم ألق لها من قبل بالا
حلم ليلة منتصف صيف ،لربما اكثر
Riku Sayuj

Man, being reasonable, must get drunk;

The best of life is but intoxication:

Glory, the grape, love, gold, in these are sunk

The hopes of all men and of every nation;

Without their sap, how branchless were the trunk

Of life's strange tree, so fruitful on occasion:

But to return,—Get very drunk; and when

You wake with headache, you shall see what then.

~ Lord Byron, Don Juan, Canto II, Stanza 179.

If we offend, it is with our good will.

That you should think, we come not to offend,

But with good will. To sh
emma
mini-review, as I do for classics:
this was my first time reading Shakespeare on my own, and I kind of...saw that as a negative. I like discussing Shakespeare in a classroom setting, and being motivated to mark up the text and otherwise process it fully. I felt like I missed out on stuff here.
also, this play felt so short. maybe it's my edition's fault, for being 111 pages. maybe it's how abrupt the ending was (which is very). or how flat the characters were, or how there were a sh*t ton of them.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream is Shakespeare’s funniest comedy, honestly. When a couple tries to run away, they get followed by a man in love with them, and then by a woman in love with him. And a fairy fucking around makes it all go to shit. As you do!

This play is probably funniest because of its excellent set of characters, including:
✔Hermia – is 4’9” and could kick your ass. runs a feminist blog
✔Lysander – is so beautiful and so, so useless
✔Helena –
Ted
3 1/2 stars
3 3/4
Upped the rating when I realized that I'd given 3 1/2 to King John, Pericles, and The Taming of the Shrew

Been a while since I've visited this review. This play was the first I read in a project to read all the Bard's plays before I kicked the proverbial bucket wherever you're supposed to kick it. I'm probably behind on this goal by now (of reading/reviewing four plays a year). Ah well.

There are multitudes of rather innocuous comments inside this spoiler. It can safely be skippe
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m sure there’s some keyboard commando all primed and ready just waiting for a chance to chime in about how “this isn’t Facebook” or “talk about books and don’t post stupid pictures.” To him/her/them I shall quote ol’ Bill himself and say . . . .

Fucketh off with thee!

Because I have read A Midsummer Night’s Dream and I’ve read it more than once. Originally I read it back in the stone age as a high schooler who opted for additional l
Kat Kennedy
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's still as awesome as I remember. Though, unfortunately, causes me some initial irritation with The Iron King.

Robbie Goodfellow is a wicked spirit running around having fun and pulling ridiculous pranks. He's not a serious teenage boy who is dramatic and suspenseful or mysterious or sexy.

Why do we have to turn everything into sexy these days? Why does every male character have to suddenly fit the romantic male archetype?

Why are mythological creatures becoming obsessed with teenage girls?
Cait • A Page with a View
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Fairies + Shakespeare is like the best mix ever.
Bionic Jean
"The course of true love never did run smooth;" is a famous, often-quoted line - a truism throughout all ages and cultures. Where does it come from? It is spoken by a character called Lysander, in Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream, and articulates possibly the play's most important theme.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is a fanciful tale, full of poetry and beautiful imagery, such as,

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with
Whitney Atkinson
if i had a professor who actually talked about this and made it interesting then im sure i wouldve liked it more but i was just like ?????????
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این نمایشنامه در موردِ عشق و دلباختگی دو جوان اهلِ آتن میباشد.... دختری به نامِ <هرمیا> عاشقِ مردی بنامِ <لیزاندر> است، پدرِ دخترکِ زیبارو <اجوس> نام دارد. اجوس دخترش هرمیا را مجبور کرده است تا دست از عشق برداشته و با <دیمتریوس> که از ثروتمندانِ شهر است ازدواج کند. ولی هرمیا از دستور پدر سر باز میزند. بنابراین اجوس نزدِ <تزوس> دوکِ شهرِ آتن رفته و از دوک میخواهد تا از راه قانون با دخترش برخورد کند ... قانون آتن در آن روزگار این است که اگر دختری به ف ...more
Josh Caporale
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it

Sometimes, I feel that I just do not get Shakespeare! This particular explanation, for its face value, is neutral in its tone and execution, for this play is so absurd, but it almost seems like it is trying to be as such. While Shakespeare has been known to borrow his plots, I would say that his tragedies are better than his comedies in the way that the elements to his tragedies are a bit more original (or is it the fact that we have seen elements of his comedies time and time again). I
Mayy Wilde-Shakespeare
"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind"

I love this play so much. I love William Shakespeare more than life itself.

Going into this I knew that 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream' was going to be a little bit different from the other Shakespeare plays I’ve read. It had a lot fantasy aspects to it and a interesting combination between a comedy and a drama. It worked really well and made the whole play confusing in a good way, if that makes sense.

Somethi
Piyangie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit, plays
This is the most hilarious comedy of Shakespeare that I have read, more mirthful than A Comedy of Errors . Written with the combination fantasy and reality, and set in Athens at the time of the wedding of the Duke of Athens, Theseus to Hippolyta, the Queen of Amazon, the play revolves around the adventures of the four young Athenian lovers, a group of performers who plan to put on a play for the wedding of the Duke and the Queen, and the meddling acts of fairies, especially of the fairy King's ...more
Antonio

El enredo de los enredos, porque tener un triángulo amoroso, si puedes tener… ¿un cuadrado? ¿Un cuarteto? ¿Un rombo? Mmm algo se me ocurrirá. Es cierto lo que dicen sobre la obras de Shakespeare, son atemporales, así aun teniendo más de 400 años aprecie esta historia e incluso me saco unas cuantas risas, imaginen todos los personajes corriendo por el bosque declarando su amor eterno, y ni siquiera la hermosa reina de las hadas se ha salvado, y para escenificar lo que el mismo Shakespeare dijo

P
Geoff
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The moon methinks looks with a wat’ry eye;
And when she weeps, weeps every little flower”

(Titania)

Tomorrow night, when Phoebe doth behold
Her silver visage in the watery glass,
Decking with liquid pearl the bladed grass.

So quick bright things come to confusion
(Lysander)

Night and the ocean are the depthless things of the earth, where bright things come to confusion, become “undistinguishable, Like far-off mountains turned to clouds”. The unconscious, the sleep-world, the dream-world. Everywhere thro
Ahmed Ibrahim
" لا يكفي المرء أن يتكلم، بل المهم أن يتكلم جيدًا "

واحدة من روائع شكسبير الكوميدية التي اعتمد فيها على نسيج معقد من ثلاث حبكات وثلاثة عوالم مختلفة..
يصور فيها زوجين من العشاق من أثينا، ومجموعة من العمال البسطاء من أهالي ريفها الذين يتدربون لتقديم عرضًا مسرحيًا في احتفال دوق أثينا وحبيبته بزواجهما، ويصور عالم الجن ومكله أوبيريون وملكة الجن تايتانا وخادمهم بك.

يظهر شكسبير في هذه المسرحية العواطف التي تحكم البشر كلهم حتى الجن، كالحب والغيرة والكره أحيانًا... في قالب رائع تمتزج فيه الرومانسية بالكومي
Candace Robinson
I can’t do it! This has nothing to do with Shakespeare or his lovely writing. I just can’t ever understand it! I think if I were to watch the movie and see a visual I would know what was going on!!
Jason
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kindle, 2014, reviewed
Aww, this is a cute little play.

Which is a pretty condescending thing to say about a work of Shakespeare, right? Except it’s true! A Midsummer Night’s Dream is an aDORable piece of literature with elves and fairies and potions and magic—not something I typically go for, and a definite far cry from his more serious tragedies. In this play, a woman suffers whose love for her man lies in contrast to her father’s wishes, he having already promised his daughter’s hand to another, and if she refuses t
Liam
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful yet messed up play this was, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Absolutely loved the setting, the language and the element of fantasy within the story. It was comical yet still had potential to be a tale of tragedy and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. It keeps you on your toes and the story goes round in circles but it reached a satisfactory resolution!

For me, Shakespeare is a bit hit or miss but I really did enjoy this one!
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Oh, I loved this so much. It's charming and fun and hilarious and silly but it has a lot of heart- it's not just an empty comedy. There's wit and some really great observations on flights of fancy and the ridiculous things humans will do (with or without the help of forest nymphs) in the name of love. Also, an enchanted forest has got to be one of my favourite settings of all time, the heady summer air and a sense of magic really seeped through the pages.

Two of my favourite quotes, both by Robin
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Just saw a performance of this and it has me all nostalgic. This has meddling fairies, ridiculous lovers and a donkey named Bottom. What's not to love?

Also fun fact, I played Titania once. I was volunteering as a stage hand when then original chick who was cast dropped out and so did her understudy and there I was organizing props back stage. (Was this my Disney-channel moment? Did I miss my cue??)

Oh yeah, it was also a Jersey Shore remix for some reason. ("A Midsummer Jersey" iirc)

So to this
Councillor
An entertaining and amusing tale, filled with an inexhaustible richness of symbolicism, atmosphere and verbal complexity. After having seen Shakespeare as a writer of tragic and twisted stories dealing with death and schemes as major leitmotifs for many years, a light-hearted story like "A Midsummer Night's Dream" proved to be exactly the right one to convince me of the direct opposite: that Shakespeare can also masterfully create romantic comedies full of amusing allusions.
Kelly
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
My high school English teacher called this "the perfect play." He meant that in terms of it being performed. He would use it with new groups of drama students, because there was absolutely no possible way for them to screw it up. And now, close on 10 years later, I can't yet prove him wrong. I've been in this play twice (Hermia), I've seen it performed countless times by good groups of actors, mediocre ones, and one cast that was mostly pretty bad, I've seen it done in traditional Shakespearean ...more
Huawei H31-511 Exam Questions And Answers: 1 2 Feb 25, 2019 09:40PM
A place where we can sharing our ideas, thoughts, and questions with everyone else who wants to know 1 4 Nov 07, 2018 04:15PM
Act 1 3 6 Sep 28, 2018 06:13AM
Play Book Tag: A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare 4 16 Jul 23, 2018 03:24PM
What's happening 2? 1 7 May 18, 2018 04:53AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Zoo Story and Other Plays
  • You Can't Take it With You
  • The Waste Land and Other Writings
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
  • The Bacchae
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”
22702 likes