Start by marking “The Book of Disquiet” as Want to Read:
The Book of Disquiet

The Book of Disquiet

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  20,431 ratings  ·  1,969 reviews
Fernando Pessoa was many writers in one. He attributed his prolific writings to a wide range of alternate selves, each of which had a distinct biography, ideology. and horoscope. When he died in 1935, Pessoa left behind a trunk filled with unfinished and unpublished writings, among which were the remarkable pages that make up his posthumous masterpiece, The Book of Disquie ...more
Published December 31st 2002 by Penguin Classics (first published June 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Disquiet, please sign up.
mj If you don't speak Portuguese I would recommend the translation by Richard Zenith, as he is of Portuguese descent, editor of one of the Portuguese ver…moreIf you don't speak Portuguese I would recommend the translation by Richard Zenith, as he is of Portuguese descent, editor of one of the Portuguese versions and considered by many one of the greatest Pessoa's expert.(less)
Ryan I can think of a couple of reasons for this:

1) The editor wasn't as exhaustive
The Book of Disquiet is a hodgepodge of different fragmentary ideas, and…more
I can think of a couple of reasons for this:

1) The editor wasn't as exhaustive
The Book of Disquiet is a hodgepodge of different fragmentary ideas, and though there is some editorial freedom in such a concept, Fernando Pessoa did include some notes on which parts he wanted. Future editors, as obsessed as they are with completionism, included more than the author intended sometimes depending on the version. Richard Zenith includes not only fragments Fernando Pessoa didn't want in, but also author notes, and letters to friends concerning the book.

2) Differences in copy-editing
It's possible through the clever use of double-spacing, white spaces, empty pages delineating differences in sections, and differences in counting pages (i.e. making "page one" be an introductory non-authorial textual criticism, rather than with the book's contents itself)- that an editor can pad out the size of a book.

A better way to compare the sizes of different versions would be with word counts.
(less)

·  20,431 ratings  ·  1,969 reviews

Start your review of The Book of Disquiet
Bill Kerwin
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Here is the only Portuguese literary joke I know: Q. Who are the four greatest Portuguese poets of the 20th century? A. Fernando Pessoa. Trust me, it's funny. But it does take a little explaining.

Fernando Pessoa, in order to express various philosophical and poetic moods, constructed a series of what he termed “heteronyms.” The heteronym, although similar to the mask or persona, differs in that each one is equipped with a name, a personality, a biography, and a physical description, as well as a
Szplug
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Humans are social beings, to the extent that those who prefer solitude to the company of others are usually perceived as troubled individuals, outside of the norm; it took me a long time to feel comfortable with being alone, with dampening the guilt that flared up in me every time I begged off going out with a group of friends. It is always a welcome reinforcement when I come across a book penned by a fellow recluse—and The Book of Disquiet could be a solitary soul's bible, so powerfully does it ...more
Jim Fonseca
I just came across this article about literary Lisbon with a lot about Pessoa - very good

The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa

If you read this, you need to know what you are signing up for, so, below, I’ll let Pessoa speak for himself. It’s a series of vignettes, random thoughts and meditations all written between 1913 and 1935.

description

It’s a work of genius, of course. Pessoa, the famous Portuguese writer and poet was known for his multiple writing personalit
Dolors
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this habit of keeping a pencil close by when I'm reading a book which I know is going to have some passages I want to remember. So, whenever I come across a sentence or a paragraph that strikes me for some reason, I underline it.
Well now, what's mostly happened with my copy of the "The book of disquiet" by Fernando Pessoa is that there is something underlined in almost every page of the book. Which is the same to say that this is a memorable book on the whole. I'd even dare to say that th
Lizzy
'We're well aware that every creative work is imperfect and that our most dubious aesthetic contemplation will be the one whose object is what we write. But everything is imperfect. There's no sunset so lovely it couldn't be yet lovelier, no gentle breeze bringing us sleep that couldn't bring yet sounder sleep.'

Almost all my feelings…
As soon as I turned the last page, I realized how much I was going to miss The Book of Disquiet. For it has been my faithful companion for over two weeks, as my
Matthias
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthias by: Junta
Shelves: favorites, my-reviews

Some books wrap me up in dreams and fantasy, creating a protective bubble in which I can leisurely gaze at the world in comfort. The opposite happened when reading “The Book of Disquiet”, a book that lives up to its title like no other. I didn’t get wrapped up in anything. With every sentence I read I felt myself being unwrapped, as layers of self-deceit and unconsciousness were shed.

I held the book in my hands. I could decide to open and close it. I could decide to put it away. But despite a
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
"Ποτέ δεν αγαπάμε κάποιον. Αγαπάμε απλώς την ιδέα που σχηματίζουμε για κάποιον. Τελικά αυτό που αγαπάμε είναι μια δική μας έννοια και ο εαυτός μας.

Αυτό είναι αλήθεια σε όλη την κλίμακα του έρωτα. Στο σεξουαλικό έρωτα αναζητάμε τη δική μας απόλαυση με τη μεσολάβηση ενός ξένου κορμιού.
Στον έρωτα που διαφέρει από τον σεξουαλικό αναζητάμε τη δική μας απόλαυση με τη μεσολάβηση μιας δική μας ιδέας.
Ο αυνανιστής είναι αποτρόπαιος, αλλά, στην απόλυτη αλήθεια, ο αυνανιστής είναι η απόλυτη λογική έκφραση
Rowena
"I follow the course of my dreams, making them images into steps toward other images; folding casual metaphors like fans into grand pictures of interior vision; I untie life from myself, and I toss it aside as if it were a too-tight suit."- Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet

You know a writer is great when he makes you want to learn a new language to understand his work in the original. "The Book of Disquiet" is easily the best book I've read this year, and possibly the one I've copied the mo
Florencia
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dreamers, unquiet souls longing for detachment, people unsuccessfully trying to avoid thinking
If I write what I feel, it’s to reduce the fever of feeling. What I confess is unimportant, because everything is unimportant. I make landscapes out of what I feel. I make holidays of my sensations. (42)

He who does not know how to populate his solitude, does not know either how to be alone in a busy crowd.
- Charles Baudelaire, Crowds

Some dreams want to transcend our minds. They want to feel alive, be outside and become reality. We all have dreamed about things that, even after we woke up, we are
Ahmad Sharabiani
Livro do Desassossego = The Book of Disquiet, Fernando Pessoa
The Book of Disquiet is a work by the Portuguese author Fernando Pessoa (1888–1935).
In Lisbon there are a few restaurants or eating houses located above decent-looking taverns, places with the heavy, domestic look of restaurants in towns far from any rail line. These second-story eateries, usually empty except on Sundays, frequently contain curious types whose faces are not interesting but who constitute a series of digressions from l
Nahed.E
لم أطلب سوي القليل من الحياة ، وحتي ذلك القليل رفضت الحياة منحي إياه .. طلبت حزمة من ضوء الشمس ، القليل من السكينة مع قليل من الخبز ، ألا تثقل عليّ كثيراً معرفتي بأنني موجود ، وألا أطلب من الآخرين شيئاً وألا يطالبونني هم بأي شئ ..

فجأة أجدني وحيداً في العالم .. أري كل هذا من خلال أعالي سطح روحي ، وحيد أنا في العالم .. أن تري الأشياء يعني أنك بعيد وأن ثمة مسافة .. أن تري الأشياء بوضوح معناه أن تتوقف وألا تكف عن الرؤية .. أن تحلل كل شئ يعني أنك غريب !

كل الناس يمرون بجانبي بدون أن يحتكوا بي .. لا
David Schaafsma
Job: “My soul is weary of my life.”

Pessoa/Soares: “I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.”

Pessoa/Soares: “I write because I don’t know.”

You are planning a party; here’s your guest list:

Dostoevsky’s Raskolnikov (from Crime and Punishment)
Melville’s “Bartelby the Scrivener”
Kafka’s Gregor Samsa (from The Metamorphosis)
Joyce’s Stephan Dedalus (from The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man)
Camus’s Merseault (from The Stranger)
Beckett’s Molloy
Sartre’s Roquentin (from Nau
Guille
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Es curiosa la cadena de novelas que a veces se produce. Si en un comentario a mi anterior lectura (Madame Bovary) resaltaba la importancia casi absoluta de la forma narrativa en mi apreciación de las obras, me topo con esta donde esa forma, la música que del texto brota se manifiesta con tal fuerza y belleza que consigue que saboree cada uno de sus desasosiegos sin importarme lo más mínimo compartirlos o no e, incluso, como me ha ocurrido en varias ocasiones, si no comprendo un carajo.

Pero hay
Το βιβλίο αυτό ονομάζεται "Βιβλίο της Ανησυχίας" και είναι ένα ταξίδι απο απο μία άγνωστη αφετηρία προς κάποιον άγνωστο προορισμό.

Το ταξίδι με αυτό το βιβλικό νοσηρό έργο δεν τελειώνει ποτέ.
Αιώνιο; ημιτελές; αποσπασματικό; ανολοκλήρωτο;
Μάλλον "απόξενο" σαν το ύφος γραφής του συγγραφέα. Ίσως ένα ημερολόγιο εξομολόγησης που γράφτηκε κατά τη διάρκεια αυτού του ταξιδιού μέσα σε ένα όνειρο.

Κάποιος ανήσυχος,ονειροπόλος,
κοινωνιολόγος ταξιδευτής είναι ο μοναδικός συνεπιβάτης μας σε αυτό το πολύπλοκο
Cheryl
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Rowena
Flow lightly, life that does not even feel itself, a silent, supple stream beneath forgotten trees! Flow softly, soul that does not know itself, a murmur hidden from view by great fallen branches! Flow vainly, aimlessly, consciousness conscious of nothing, a vague, distant glimmer through leafy clearings, with no known source or destination. Flow on, flow on and leave me to forget!

Flow smoothly, book that does not realize its influence, supple prose poem with ignitions of profundity.
Rakhi Dalal
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in absurdism
Recommended to Rakhi by: Tej

“My soul is a hidden orchestra; I know not what instruments, what fiddlestrings and harps, drums and tamboura I sound and clash inside myself. All I hear is the symphony.”

An Orchestra of over 70 musicians, playing their own instruments, each producing an individual sound, a discrete voice, adding up from each corner, playing the distinctive notes of solitude, dream, rain and tedium, rising at one place while falling at another and producing a symphony so striking in its completion that it cannot
Fernando
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Un gran sosiego en la luz deja sentir que el cielo es ya casi todo azul. Pero no hay sosiego -¡ay de mí, ni lo habrá nunca!- en mi corazón, aljibe viejo en el fondo de una quinta vendida, memoria de la infancia clausurada al polvo en el sótano de una casa desconocida. No hay sosiego, ¡ay de mí! Y ni siquiera, el deseo de que lo haya…

Es realmente difícil para un simple lector como yo reseñar libro de semejante envergadura, dado que cuesta mucho describir utilizando las palabras adecuadas lo que l
Manuel Antão
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

You'll admit I'm sure that many do indeed adopt nihilism/inner 'emptiness'/void gazing/ennui -- Motorcycle Emptiness for short -- as a social pose, as a way of attracting chums, sexual and otherwise. And this will of course continue no matter how many read Wallace or Lee Rourke or this here little chat.

So what I'm really driving at is this: what's the point -- literally; I'd really like to know -- of fiction (or art of any kind) that g
David Katzman
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: a book club of intellectuals, fans of Modernist experimentation
Recommended to David by: Oriana
The Book of Disquiet should be read slowly and thoughtfully, savored and sipped like fine wine. It’s a groundbreaking work of Modernist experimentation that consists of a collection of writings found on disorganized scraps of paper in a chest found in the author’s home after his death. These scraps were assembled into a book for the first time in the 1960s. Pessoa, who was Portuguese, wrote the segments over the course of the last twenty years of his life, which ended in 1935.

Pessoa invented mul
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Πρόκειται για ένα από τα μεγαλύτερα έργα όλων των εποχών. Ο Fernando Pessoa είναι ένας χαρισματικός άνθρωπος.

Μου πήρε πολύ χρόνο για να τελειώσω το βιβλίο, σχεδόν 6 μήνες. Σε κάθε του φράση έχει κάτι σπουδαίο να πει, σε σημείο που ανά μερικές σελίδες σταματούσα για να συνειδητοποιήσω το βαθύ νόημα των λεγόμενων του.

Πιο πολύ με εντυπωσίασε ο πολύ διαφορετικός τρόπος της σκέψης του. Αντιλήψεις στις οποίες ποτέ έως τώρα δεν φανταζόμουν ότι θα μπορούσα να καταλήξω με τον δικό μου τρόπο σκέψης. Κέρ
Vit Babenco
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Book of Disquiet is incredibly aphoristic – one can take almost any sentence at random and use it as an aphorism…
“And so, not knowing how to believe in God and unable to believe in an aggregate of animals, I, along with other people on the fringe, kept a distance from things, a distance commonly called Decadence. Decadence is the total loss of unconsciousness, which is the very basis of life.”
The Book of Disquiet is an anthem to the futility of life and a hymn of life’s preciousness.
“And so
knig
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Heternonymy 101

This be possibly the biggest, most self indulgent pre-PoMo existential angst wank fest. Ever. 500 pages of self centered, whiny, petulant, attention seeking, self important and self obsessed essays, which, were they written by a woman, would no doubt have been classed as the insipid diary blather of sexually frustrated spinster in need of a good seeing to.

The main thoroughfare here is a subdued Munchian scream about the ‘tedium’ of life, examined from every angle: a diary of emot
mai ahmd
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فلسفة
...بداية يجب أن أذكر أني تعرفت على بيسوا مصادفة لم أكن أعرف هذا الشاعر ولم أسمع عنه قبل أن أمد يدي في معرض الكتاب على ديوانه رباعيات والذي كتب فيه أرق وأعذب قصائد الحب وهي القصائد الوحيدة التي كتبها في الحب لقد شدتني عذوبة هذا الشاعر وروحه الشفيفة وتصويراته الرقيقة كأن يقول
المريول الذي أخذته من الدرج

May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
(Almost finished.)
“a factless autobiography”
Vivid. Compelling and Sincere.
A remarkable book. For experienced audiences.
Aubrey
A trifecta of absolute favorites? Well, not favorites. Existence definers, then. I'll have to say though, this self-discovery wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it was with Of Human Bondage or The Magic Mountain. I'd turn a page, and there was one of my innermost thoughts, laid out on the page in all its proud solitude.

Solitude. It takes one intimate with this word and all its facets of life to appreciate this book. The author created an entire world of characters in himself, seeing no journey more i
Maria Espadinha
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O Grande Salto

Este livro retrata uma Humanidade Sonâmbula.
Embrenhada numa Escuridão Desconexa, Ela mexe e fala apenas porque vive!

Em Pessoa encontramos uma Permanente Avidez de Sentido que lhe rouba a Paz e o afasta do Caminho da Felicidade.
Será essa Busca Inglória?
Uma Pesquisa que gera no próprio ventre a Semente do Fracasso?

Estou em crer que Não desde que tenhamos presentes as Ferramentas Necessárias:

Humildade:

- "Eu só sei que nada sei" para Abrir Alas ao Conhecimento

Inteligência:

- Para Desco
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Like a Version (Touched for the Very First Time)

This is an exceptional book or work or whatever you want to call it.

However, ultimately, I found it both fascinating and (just a little bit) frustrating.

One source of frustration is that, upon completing it, I discovered that the version I had read (translated by Margaret Jull Costa) was 262 pages, whereas the Penguin Classics version (translated by Richard Zenith) is 544 pages. I hate it when this happens. I feel duped. Nothing had forewarned me o
Junta
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who prefer thought over action, solitude to company, meaning over happiness
Recommended to Junta by: Aubrey, Dahlia, Florencia and Stian's 5-star reviews
The Review of Disquiet
Ken. O. O. Bach
Edited and Translated by Junta

I was born in a time when possibilities were expanding by the day. However, so did the proportion of young people who lost touch with their dignity. It seems the trend will only continue. Visible and invisible disparities.

I love the idea of myself. I am proud, but not vain. I know my defects are too strong for me to love myself as much as the idea of myself.

The idea of living is tedious. One is much more comfortable living
Oriana
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dabbling
I can only speak of this book in hushed, reverential tones. This is one of my most, most, most favorite books, which I've been reading for years and still have not finished. It's like an endless diary of daily life, written by the strangest, most deleriously unhappy (but sometimes happy), brilliant (but sometimes simple), intensely thoughtful old man.

Pessoa is best known for writing poetry using "heteronyms," meaning that essentially he had multiple personalities who all were writers. He never
mathiezhil
Zirrar Zirrar
Apr 03, 2007
Heather
Apr 25, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who
There are many things i enjoy about this book.
For starters, you can easily put this book down, forget
about it, concentrate your efforts on something else and come back to it and can start off right where you left it.
There isn't exactly a "plot" that needs to be followed,
more a trail of thoughts from one man's mind.
Although i feel this book is open to interpretation depending
on what state of mind said individual is in or how they decide to approach a situation i found i could highly relate to the
Agatha
Jul 26, 2007
Rodney
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
For me, this translation is The Book of Disquiet, the others the shabby work of rogue heteroyms. Margaret Jull Costa renders Pessoa's langorous self-pity in a rich, clause-heavy, "European" prose that snakes through time like Scott-Moncrieff's Proust. How Zenith cornered the U.S. Pessoa market baffles me; hold out if you can for this harder-to-find edition.
Caitlin
Sep 11, 2007
jeremy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translation, fiction
margaret jull costa was awarded a literary prize for translation of this book. while she continues to deftly translate some of the greatest iberian writers (jose saramago, eca de queiros, etc.), her work on this book is outdone by the richard zenith translation. that edition is far superior and more comprehensive. ...more
Katherine

• Malone Dies
  • Os Maias
  • Steppenwolf
  • The Complete Poetry
  • The Passion According to G.H.
  • Zeno's Conscience
  • The Aleph and Other Stories
  • The Man Without Qualities
  • Blindness
Fernando António Nogueira Pessoa was a poet and writer.

It is sometimes said that the four greatest Portuguese poets of modern times are Fernando Pessoa. The statement is possible since Pessoa, whose name means ‘person’ in Portuguese, had three alter egos who wrote in styles completely different from his own. In fact Pessoa wrote under dozens of names, but Alberto Caeiro, Ricardo Reis and Álvaro de