Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Tom Riddle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,361 (1361 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 29, 2018 08:27PM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31613 comments Mod
res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 7: by Vicky (last edited May 18, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Res

message 8: by Vicky (last edited May 18, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments res

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments res

message 11: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 229 comments res

message 12: by Daniela (new)

message 13: by Daniela (new)

message 14: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Hey everyone! I don't have a ton of time right now but wanted to say hi and welcome to the team! I'm heading off to work but will be back this afternoon to start getting things organized! 😁

message 15: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Hi Everyone!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Hey team! I'm excited to get started!!

message 17: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 167 comments Hi.

message 18: by Lory (new)

Lory | 539 comments Hello, Hello!

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen Sabo | 512 comments Hi everyone! I'm Jennifer, you can also call me Jen. I'm super excited for this challenge. I'm a student, but I have been really focused on getting my school work done so I can read when this starts.

message 20: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 229 comments hey guys! I'm Daniela :) I just completed the uno challenge and I'm excited to start this one!

just out of curiosity: did y'all say you wanted a team that talks a lot?

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Hey guys! How are you?

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Checking in! It looks like I know quite a few of you. So excited to play with you all.

message 23: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Daniela wrote: "just out of curiosity: did y'all say you wanted a team that talks a lot? "

I did! It's always more fun when the thread is chatty. :D

message 24: by Jennifer H (last edited May 09, 2018 03:07PM) (new)

Jennifer H Vicky wrote: "Daniela wrote: "just out of curiosity: did y'all say you wanted a team that talks a lot? "

I did! It's always more fun when the thread is chatty. :D"

I chose either but I prefer chatty.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments I choose chattty

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I said either, but chatty is always more fun! :-D

message 27: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Yay! Thanks to everyone who has checked in. I'm so looking forward to this challenge - I always feel lost when I don't have an NBRC challenge to motivate me to read more. ;) I'm going to start getting the reserved posts organized with some information and catch up on all the rule details!

Since we have a few days to kill before things get really interesting - let's introduce ourselves! :D

I'm Vicky, I live on the east coast of the US. I've been married 2.5 years, but my husband is Canadian and immigration is a long process so we're still living in two countries. By day I help seniors who are moving into retirement homes sort/downsize/pack/move (I'm currently working almost full time with a couple who are hoarders and it is EXHAUSTING), and by night I'm a part-time retail manager. The summer months are my busiest, so don't be alarmed if I disappear for a few days - I promise I'm always checking in on the threads, I just may not respond if there's nothing pressing and I'm running around like crazy. ;)

In bookland I will read almost anything that comes with a good recommendation, but I mostly gravitate to fantasy and romance. I've recently discovered that I love contemporary NA/adult romance and have been on a serious binge, so all the other books I've been meaning to get around to have been on the back burner. XD It's hard to pick favorite books - but some of my favorite authors are: Diana Gabaldon, Patrick Rothfuss, Helena Hunting, Tahereh Mafi, Sabaa Tahir, Sarah J Maas, Gail Carriger and Kennedy Fox. I'm currently reading The Bone Season... I'm a little over halfway and I can't decide if I like it yet. I'm going to power through it so I can start fresh on Saturday! :D

message 28: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (fantasyfan101) | 167 comments Hi team! I’m super excited to be part of this challenge!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I'm Michelle and I live in Georgia so I'm in the same time zone as Vicky.

I've been married to my high school sweetheart for over 28 years and we have been together for over 31 years. We have 3 sons who are 23, 25 and 27. We also have a Chihuahua and Great Dane who are quite comical together!

I'm a former middle school math and science teacher turned happy housewife about 5 years ago due to health reasons. So I'm home a lot and have a fair amount of time to read.

As far as reading goes, I read a little of everything...especially to mark off a challenge task! My favorite genres would have to be mystery, thriller/suspense and historical fiction.

I always enjoy a good team challenge and this will be my 3rd Tower Teams.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "I'm Michelle and I live in Georgia so I'm in the same time zone as Vicky.

I've been married to my high school sweetheart for over 28 years and we have been together for over 31 years. We have 3 s..."

How many teams are we on together right now? Is this 4? :)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments LOL! That sounds about right! 8-)

message 32: by Kristel (last edited May 10, 2018 03:09AM) (new)

Kristel | 287 comments Hi, checking in! Super excited to be part of this challenge:)

Fair warning: I'm not gonna be able to check in every day in May, because I'm writing my bachelor's thesis, so busy with that. Still reading, just not as much. Things will be calming down after the first week in June and then I'm able to be more involved with Tower Teams.

message 33: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Hi, I'm Jennifer and I'm from Ohio (another Eastern time zone gal).

I have never been married but I do have a 23 yo son, who is my reason for breathing. I also have two cats, Anastasia and Alex (a 7lb female and a 20lb male). I too have a disability that keeps me at home and I have lots of reading time but I have had to reduce my reading time because I was getting burned out and I wasn't really retaining anything I read. Reading was becoming a chore and I didn't want that.

I will read just about anything but I really love mystery/thrillers.

message 35: by Jen (new)

Jen Sabo | 512 comments Vicky- I have been reading some new adult lately too. I didn't even know it existed before a few months ago. It's really fun, and feels a little more relatable than a YA book but sometimes slightly lighter themes than an adult book.

Michelle- Oh man, I bet it would be so cute to see your dogs together, especially with their size difference. Haha

Kristel- Good luck with your writing!! What is your thesis topic?

Jennifer - I love that both of your cats have "A" names. Does your son too?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey team! I'm Eternity, and I'm a Canadian University Student. I'm 22 (soon to be 23), and my absolute favourite genre is fantasy (adult or ya or middle grade as long as it's good I don't care). I'll read other genres too if the book interests me. In fact, I'm currently reading Mindhunter by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker which is non-fiction.

I work retail part-time, and I have no classes until September, so I'm hoping to have plenty of time to read! I've gotten behind on my reading goals, so I need to do some serious catching up! I have been doing a bit better for reading the past couple of weeks so I'd say I'm ready for a challenge! And very excited!

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Sabo | 512 comments Eternity wrote: "Hey team! I'm Eternity, and I'm a Canadian University Student. I'm 22 (soon to be 23), and my absolute favourite genre is fantasy (adult or ya or middle grade as long as it's good I don't care). I'..."

Hi Eternity! Nice to meet you! I'm a student too!

What do you study?

message 38: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H No, Jen, my son's name is Jacob. So, we are J's and A's in our household. However, we all have a middle name that begins with M.

message 39: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 229 comments Is anyone planning on reading a BOTM for May? :)

message 40: by Lory (new)

Lory | 539 comments Hi! I'm Lory and 31 living in wisconsin. I travel a lot for work which is perfect time for reading! I read pretty much anything, but I love fantasy, mysteries, and fun books.

I am traveling to Ireland May 19th, so I'll be a little out of touch for 10 days, but still hoping to read

I was thinking of reading Lilac Girls, if I can get it from the library in time.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Hi, I am Rachel and I am also living in Wisconsin. I don't work yet (hopefully soon) because I am a freshman in high school at the moment, but soon to be sophomore.
It is getting really close to exam time so my reading will most likely be on the back burner for a little bit, but should still be reading some because audiobooks for me a big lifesaver at the moment.
My favorite books right now are The Hate U Give, An Ember in the Ashes, and A Torch Against the Night. My top favorite authors are Sabaa Tahir,Angie Thomas, and Rainbow Rowell.
One book I am planning on reading is Ramona Blue, so excited for this book. :)

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments Vicky wrote: "I'm Vicky, I live on the east coast of the US. I've been married 2.5 years, but my husband is Canadian and immigration is a long process so we're still living in two countries."

My brother married a Canadian. Because of the length and cost of the process, they only ever worked on my brother's new citizenship.

And I'm not at all jealous that they just moved to Prince Edward Island! :)

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3927 comments A little bit about me. Hubby & I are coming up on 21st anniversary next month. We have 6 kids, 6 cats, and enough chickens to outnumber both the kids and the cats. I homeschool the kids (the cats we just let nap all day).

I'm not planning to read any of the May BOTMs. I'm in too many other challenges to fit these in without advance planning. But hopefully I can fit in the June ones. :)

message 44: by Jen (last edited May 10, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hello everyone! I'm just now checking in, sorry! I'm a late addition to your team (because I sadly didn't find out about Tower Teams VI until after sign-ups closed), but I am very glad to have this opportunity to join you all! I LOVE Tower Teams!

I am 43 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona. I don't much like it here (I moved from Seattle, Washington), so I love to read! Reading takes me away to other places. :-)

Thank you for the friend request, Vicky! And for mentioning that you are Tom Riddle's team captain. Because without that, I might still be unchecked in! (I didn't get a message anywhere from anyone that I was added to a team! I came here after accepting your friend request and saw my name on your team list and . . . here I am!)

I read mostly fantasy books, be they YA or Adult - or Middle-Grade. If I read non-fantasy books, they're probably middle-grade or the very-rare contemporary "adult" book. I especially love Urban Fantasy books, and I have quite a collection of series here in my home. :-)

I am willing to give most any book a try. I'd prefer not to read Westerns, though (tried one once; didn't work for me). And most nonfiction is just not interesting to me.

My favorite books are all mostly years old (the oldest was first published last century!). :-)

I see that the challenge will begin about 23-and-a-half hours. I'm looking forward to reading with you all! :-)

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Regarding questions asked above: I do not think I plan to read any of the BOMs this month. (I'm not sure what they are, actually.) I'm participating in a few readathons - #MiddleGradeMay, the #buzzwordathon #BuzzwordReadathon, #BoutofBooks - and have a few books to read for Swap-Bot.com swaps, so I don't think I'll have the time to read any BOMs.

I'm pretty sure I put down that I was okay with a chatty team, but that if placed on a NON-chatty team, that that would be okay, too.

And did I miss anything else? :-)

message 46: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Kristel wrote: "Fair warning: I'm not gonna be able to check in every day in May, because I'm writing my bachelor's thesis, so busy with that."

No worries. If you can try to pop in once a week to let us know you're still alive, I'd appreciate it (I've had too many teammates fall off the face of the earth the last few games!) but thesis definitely trumps reading games! ;)

message 47: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Jen wrote: "Vicky- I have been reading some new adult lately too. I didn't even know it existed before a few months ago. It's really fun, and feels a little more relatable than a YA book but sometimes slightly lighter themes than an adult book."

Yes, exactly! It's really popular in the indie writing communities, it hasn't quite broken into the traditional publishing world - which is weird, because it definitely fills an age gap in reading!

message 48: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Daniela wrote: "Is anyone planning on reading a BOTM for May? :)"

I don't know if I'm going to do either of the May books, I might do June depending on what comes out of the polls.

I'm also still debating if I want to do the HP buddy reads - I've only ever read each book once and most of them were around the releases, so it's been a while for me!

message 49: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Lory wrote: "I am traveling to Ireland May 19th, so I'll be a little out of touch for 10 days, but still hoping to read"

Ireland and Scotland are on the top of my places I'd like to travel one day, I'm jealous!

message 50: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Laura wrote: "My brother married a Canadian. Because of the length and cost of the process, they only ever worked on my brother's new citizenship."

It's definitely a process! We chose not to file immediately because he had just gone back to school and graduated the spring before we got married, and he hadn't been working for 2 years while he went to school. We wanted him to get a job and look like a useful citizen before we spent all the money to do the process.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28