Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
This topic is about Magic Triumphs
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels #10), by Ilona Andrews; MOD Takeover BOM ; Starts 28 August 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31613 comments Mod

Synopsis
Mercenary Kate Daniels must risk all to protect everything she holds dear in this epic, can't-miss entry in the thrilling #1 New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series.

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be.

Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later, a confrontation is inevitable. The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows their time is up.

Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try.

For her child.

For Atlanta.

For the world.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 02, 2018 05:23AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters End % MPQDs

28 Aug Prologue - Ch5 25% Deanna Filius Flitwick
29 Aug Ch6 - Ch10 50% Ora Tom Riddle
30 Aug Ch11 - Ch14 78% Snowtulip Bellatrix Lestrange
31 Aug Ch15 - END 100% Nikk Luna Lovegood

Breakdown based on the ARC version End % may vary a little

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 6: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jul 18, 2018 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments I will volunteer for this :-) Team Luna Lovegood.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Count me in for DQ's - Team Luna Lovegood.

message 8: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) I volunteer for DQ's Team Tom Riddle

Deanna | 2961 comments I'm up for DQs as well - Team Filius Flitwick.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Volunteering for DQs - Bellatrix Lestrange

Audrey Jane | 1623 comments I'm definitely going to join the discussion for this one. Last KD instalment here we come!

message 12: by Roberta (new) - added it

Roberta Carbah (RobertatheBarista) | 9 comments I will be joining in this discussion!

message 13: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3104 comments Not sure if you already picked people for DQ but wanted to volunteer (Lupin) as I got my copy from the library today

Helen Bassett (hbee741) I have pre-ordered the book for kindle. I would like to join the discussion.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10630 comments So we totally forgot to randomize volunteers for this one... give me a sec

message 16: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) I have preordered the book and can't wait to start tomorrow!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10630 comments Did you cleared up your schedule?

message 18: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) Yes I did!!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10630 comments Clever girl.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10630 comments It's Kate Day!!!

*Happy Dances*

Hey Deanna, are you good for the DQ's today?

Deanna | 2961 comments Working on them now.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10630 comments Cool

Deanna | 2961 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the authors' choice to start with Conlan's birth and then jump forward thirteen months?

2. To me the opening prologue really showcases how far Kate has come from the loner mercenary in the first book. What impressed you most about it?

3. Do you think Roland is behind the massacre at Serenbe either directly or indirectly? Any early guesses about who the culprit may be?

4. After everything Nick has said and done, Kate still goes to defend him. What did you think of her handling of the Order members? Nick holding Conlan on his lap?

5. Conlan is so adorable! What is your favorite Conlan moment so far?

6. The wrap up or characters is already beginning. Are you surprised that Ascanio is leaving Cutting Edge or that Raphael comes to speak for him?

Karishma (karishmanewar) Btw there is a misprint in some books Conlan is 13 months old.

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/mea-culp...

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Can’t wait to start tonight!

message 26: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the authors' choice to start with Conlan's birth and then jump forward thirteen months?

I think it was a good. Regardless of how adorable babies are, they are a lot of work. I really wasn’t interested in seeing how many sleepless nights Kate and Curran had taking care of Conlan.

2. To me the opening prologue really showcases how far Kate has come from the loner mercenary in the first book. What impressed you most about it?
It really shows how big her heart is. She has so many people who want to help her out of love. Erra was pretty awesome and the witches too! I love the amount of strength Kate had after giving birth. Even though I already knew she would do anything for her son, the amount of power she put behind the command preventing Roland from getting her son was amazing…and the tenderness Curran has with handling Conlan and Kate. *sigh* as if I need another reason to love Curran.

3. Do you think Roland is behind the massacre at Serenbe either directly or indirectly? Any early guesses about who the culprit may be?
Right now, I think it’s too easy to blame Roland. He has done some pretty horrible things, however I just don’t see him doing something like this. I was leaning towards the same thing that Hugh and Elara are dealing with, especially with teleporting the people. Now I have idea.

4. After everything Nick has said and done, Kate still goes to defend him. What did you think of her handling of the Order members? Nick holding Conlan on his lap?
I am glad she defended Nick. He is good at his job and at least she knows he will always help to eliminate a threat. Kate handled it the best possible way. She caught him off guard by handing Conlan to him and proved he is a good person and she stands behind him. Kids are the best judge of character. I loved that Conlan tried to cheer up Nick by trying to feed him. Didn’t really care for the visiting Order members.

It’s hard to say. I loved it when he changed into his half form and I thought it was cute when he changed and challenged Robert. Oh, and loving honey.

6. The wrap up or characters is already beginning. Are you surprised that Ascanio is leaving Cutting Edge or that Raphael comes to speak for him?
Not really. He is getting older and is becoming man. In Hugh’s book you really saw just how much he has grown up. The trust Raphael has in Ascanio to go to Kentucky to pick up the shifters. It says a lot about the amount of growth he has done since coming to the Pack.
I was not too surprised that Raphael came to speak with Kate since he is Ascanio’s alpha. It’s his job to look out for the welfare of his pack. I’m sad that he hasn’t been in the book so far. I really love him. It would be great if he eventually gets his own story.

Deanna | 2961 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I would have enjoyed a few anecdotal scenes with a pregnant Kate or when Conlan was less than a year old, but I also like that Kate is her normal kick a$$ self.

She started as a loner, hiding her magic, and following Voron's plan. Now she is surrounded by friends and family, embracing her magic, standing up to her father, and following no one's plan but her own.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be someone he directed towards Kate to both distract and weaken her defenses while he launches his own attack. Regular arrows shot with expert precision and moving to a different plane seems to suggest a more ancient power. I'll be interested to find out what else Erra has to say about the barbarians.

I loved the balance of criticizing him for not returning her calls (so that he doesn't seem too cozy with her) and sharing info to show they actually do work together. I was actually impressed with how comfortable Nick seemed with having Conlan on his lap. I would have expected him to be much more awkward about it.

Turning into the lion was adorable, but I'm torn between the honey argument and snuggling with Grendel for a favorite moment.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that Ascanio picked the boudas over Kate. If he knew Raphael was going to talk to Kate on his behalf, I'm disappointed. I would have expected him to handle this own his own by now. (After looking at Ora's answer, maybe it will make more sense once I've read Iron and Magic.)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I think it was super smart - it's hard enough to write characters like these with a toddler, but even more difficult to write about birth, recovery, and a newborn.

How big her family is. I love it. She has so many people that are family now.

I can't spoil, as I read this as an ARC. ;)

I think Nick isn't a bad guy. He's a good guy who just happens to hate Kate for some wrong reasons.

Umm, it's later in the book (I think!), so *zips lips*

I'm not surprised at all. He's growing up, and maturing as well. But Cutting Edge played a huge role in him learning real responsibility... and he's still in Kate's family. :)

message 29: by Cathy M. (last edited Aug 28, 2018 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I was hoping to get more of pregnant Kate but am glad it jumped ahead a bit. Having a baby wouldn't have been nearly as flexible as a toddler.

I am SOOOO glad I did the re-read before this. Made it more clear on how far she really has come - her family is a lot bigger now, there are so many people who love her & vice versa. How she has brought together the different supernatural groups.

I've already finished (DEVOURED it last night!) but at this point I didn't think it had anything to do with Roland. I kept wondering if it tied back into the villains from Iron and Magic.

I can't believe she did that! I kept thinking that she should've let it happen because Nick has been nothing but an asshole when it came to Kate. But it's better to keep him since she knows him & knows what he is capable of/what to expect from him, whereas a new one would be a wild card.

Conlan was a constant source of entertainment for sure! Anytime he was in the picture, I couldn't help but smile. But maybe when he shifted for the 1st time.

Yea that did surprise me & also was surprised how much it turned me off of Raphael because of it. I do understand him wanting to take more of a role with the boudas but it's like he didn't have the respect for Kate to speak to her himself. They had a better relationship than that! It was all so disappointing how it played out...

message 30: by Roberta (new) - added it

Roberta Carbah (RobertatheBarista) | 9 comments 1) What do you think of the authors' choice to start with Conlan's birth and then jump forward thirteen months?
I think it gives the audience insight what went on in the last book. It gives background into what has happened in Kate’s life.

2) To me the opening prologue really showcases how far Kate has come from the loner mercenary in the first book. What impressed you most about it?
I love how Ilona Andrews described Kate’s birth I found it incredible.

3) Do you think Roland is behind the massacre at Serenbe either directly or indirectly? Any early guesses about who the culprit may be?
I think that it might be Curran. That was my first culprit because he was gone “hunting” for a couple of days. I think Roland might have told someone to set it up. It also might be Razer because he was seen in a couple of towns over.

4) After everything Nick has said and done, Kate still goes to defend him. What did you think of her handling of the Order members? Nick holding Conlan on his lap?
I think it shows that she needs another person to rely on to help her with the case. I don’t think Kate can afford to lose another person she needs all the people she can get because she is confused on what paranormal entity it might be.

5) Conlan is so adorable! What is your favorite Conlan moment so far?
I loved it when he was eating underneath the bed while Andrea and Kate were having a conversation of what he could be eating underneath the bed that wasn’t the food that they already gave him.

6) The wrap up or characters is already beginning. Are you surprised that Ascanio is leaving Cutting Edge or that Raphael comes to speak for him?
I think it shows immaturity within his character that he won’t go and talk to Kate.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I think it makes sense. The action really starts when Conlan’s 13 months but she didn’t have conlan in the previous book though we knew he would be coming, so the birth scene sets up Kate’s motivations and then we move to when the action starts.

I think the fact that when Kate first came to Atlanta she had been brought up to belief that attachments or friends made you weak where as now she knows that friends and support make you stronger. Also in the earlier books she was always under estimated now no one underestimates her.

I thought it might be linked to the attacks Hugh and Elara were investigating in Iron and Magic as the attack is a similar MO though they never found the boiled bodies

I think Nick is a known quantity and given Kate’s previous history with the Knights, especially Nick’s predecessor and given she knows Roland’s coming is only a matter of time, having a known quantity makes it easier to make contingency plans for her city rather than unknowns who might not understand who the good guys and bad guys are when it comes down to the fighting causing many innocents to be killed

Challenging Robert and how he is with Curran

Not so much. He was already being given more responsibility by Raphael and with so few children it makes sense that now that he has started to settle down, his clan would want to train him

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

Wow, what a way to start. Having Conlan's birth start the last book shows how far Kate has come and it is the starting point of a new part of her life. But only one part as evidenced by the moving ahead 13 months into new strife.

Definitely the feeling of cohesiveness and love between all the characters there.

No, I'm thinking that an even bigger bad may bring Roland and Kate together somehow.

There is still some relationship there, by letting Nick hold Conlan Kate might be hoping that she can change his attitude about her. She seems to understand his hostility and hopes he can move past it.

I love him!! So cute! When he first shifted and swiped Andrea from under the bed. What's cuter than a lion cub.. with attitude. And how Curran is sooo proud of him

No, I'm wondering if there will be a set up for a spin off series - The Younger Generation.

message 33: by Natalie (last edited Aug 29, 2018 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie | 974 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I’m fine with it. Get out of the exhausting newborn time and have a child who can somewhat articulate for himself and move around on his own. I am curious about what’s going on between Curran Andy Erra.

I did the reread this summer and seeing the change in Kate has been my favorite part. Her speech in the second book about no one being around for her has stuck in the back of my mind throughout it all.

I don’t think it’s him, based on the book summary. Seems to be something else. I’m not sure if Kate will have to work with Roland to overcome it, and that will end their feud. But I think it’s somthing from the further past.

It was a good move by her. It acknowledged that they have a contentious relationship but that they do work together. To me Nick is the closest thing she has to a brother, technically, so I enjoyed seeing him interact with Conlan.

Half-form. I was thinking he wouldn’t end up a shifter for a bit there.

I am actually, but it makes sense in the context of the book.

message 34: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

7. I really do not remember Yu Fong. I also haven’t read all of the novellas so that may be why. Yu Fong is part dragon and was fighting something in the sky. Any ideas? Do you think he will play an important role later in the book?

8. So, Roland did not answer Kate’s communication. Someone did right before magic came back up. Who do you think he is? Will he offer useful information? Is he responsible for Serenbe?

9. Luther has a working theory on how the humans are changed. Since it hasn’t gotten to the zombie apocalypse stage yet, is someone able to contain it and waiting for the right time to release the cotangent or is it not as contagious as they think?

10. Avag Barsamian went into the Keep for two hours!!! The next day Robert offered an alliance. Should the Pack be trusted? Is the Pack going to stand by their alliance or abstain from fighting?

11. I love Conlan!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if there were short stories in the author’s newsletter with Conlan’s adventures?! What is your favorite scene with Conlan in this segment of the book?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

7. I really do not remember Yu Fong. I also haven’t read all of the novellas so that may be why. Yu Fong is part dragon and was fighting something in the sky. Any ideas? Do you think he will play an important role later in the book?

I don't remember Yu Fong either though obviously he has some knowledge that would be important as it seems he was fighting whatever was above them before falling. So what he knows may be a key piece of the puzzle

8. So, Roland did not answer Kate’s communication. Someone did right before magic came back up. Who do you think he is? Will he offer useful information? Is he responsible for Serenbe?

Kate said that her family had been using this way to communicate for thousands of years so maybe there is someone else out there with Roland's blood. since apparently these creatures are contagious, maybe back when they or their ancestors killed Roland and Erra's family, someone survived or was turned. Or it could just be that Roland has been experimenting again and this is the result.

9. Luther has a working theory on how the humans are changed. Since it hasn’t gotten to the zombie apocalypse stage yet, is someone able to contain it and waiting for the right time to release the cotangent or is it not as contagious as they think?

I think someone is containing it and maybe letting it out in bursts.

10. Avag Barsamian went into the Keep for two hours!!! The next day Robert offered an alliance. Should the Pack be trusted? Is the Pack going to stand by their alliance or abstain from fighting?

i think it most likely the pack has been blackmailed or threatened in some way in an attempt to try and make them betray Kate and Curran. Right now I am not sure they can be trusted

11. I love Conlan!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if there were short stories in the author’s newsletter with Conlan’s adventures?! What is your favorite scene with Conlan in this segment of the book?

i liked when he was examining the vampire and also his opportune moments of saying Uh-oh during a couple fo tense moments

Deanna | 2961 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

I only vaguely remember Yu Fong. I honestly have no ideas about what he was fighting, but I do expect him to have an important role later.

I expect he is related to the people responsible for the Serenbe incident just because of what Kate said about his eyes.

I don't think it is contagious or at least it is not very contagious. I'm guessing somehow they are related to the dead of Serenbe, but not sure how.

I don't think Jim has the pull to make them abstain. If he tries, I think the Pack would split and lose some clans. The Pack is largely interested in themselves. It is in their interest to fight.

I would even buy a book of Conlan short stories. He is easily making this my favorite book in the series. I would have loved to see what kind of chaos he could bring to a Guild meeting, but strangely I found him smacking the vampire extremely funny.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

Yes. *zips lips* He's from some of the Julie shorties. ;)

I guess we'll have to see. I really can't answer this because I finished and don't recall which section of the book stuff is revealed.

If I recall correctly, it's more of a targeted/contained thing. ;)

When I was reading this, my first thought was - Ilona is trying to make us wonder, but the Pack will come through. They always do in the end, even if they're shitty about it.

Yes, I'd love shorties with Conlan!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I like it, we get to be there for the birth (which is such a huge deal), but then move on quickly to when Conlan's personality is beginning to develop and become a part of the story

Kate being a mom, I'm going to love seeing this, she's been so great with Julie, but I"m curious how she's going to be with a baby

I don't think he is, and I'm not really sure at this point in time. There is definitely a lot of possibilities in this world!

Kate always seems to know how to handle these situations without shifting her power, and it's impressive. I really like the moment with Conlan, and hope he bridges the relationship between Nick and Kate

Almost hate to say it, but when he bites Andrea. I love Andrea, but a little rawwrry Conlin taking care of himself, is just adorable.

I was surprised by both! I agree that Ascanio wouldn't leave on his own because of loyalty, but I really expected him to do this himself because of that loyalty. I'm more upset than Kate ;)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

I also don't remember him, but I'm really curious to see what his role is. That whole scene went by quickly and I can't seem to tie any of the pieces together yet. I also find it odd that Julie didn't let Kate know he was part dragon when he had visited the house before.

For some reason I think he's going to be helpful, but I have no clue who he is...seems to be a theme for me and this book. There is a lot going on. Maybe I'm wishful thinking that someone new is trying to help!

Very concerning that it's contagious, and I'm also curious about this connection to older times and Erra's concern about her, Roland, and Kate. Erra's tough, so it's hard to see her scared

Ugh, I have such a hard time with the pack! I remember Jim from book one and his and Kate's relationship and then all the politics that have happened since then. It breaks my heart. But I'm keeping faith that the Pack will keep alliance. I have to...just not sure what was going on with the briefcase.

He's adorable, my favorite scenes are with Curran where you can tell that he is such a proud papa with everything than Conlan can do :)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I was surprised by this, it was kind of a jarring start

Probably the first time she didn't complain/try to avoid medical help :)

Probably not, maybe the same group that attacked in Hugh's book?

That was totally a Kate way to deal with the problem. I think Nick likes Kate (and Conlan) a lot more than he is comfortable admitting.

All of them!!!

I was surprised overall, but Ascanio using Raphael as a role model makes sense.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

It would make sense that he has a bigger role later, otherwise why spend so much time on him?

I'm still thinking it is the same group that attacked in Hugh's book

I hope it isn't as contagious as Luther thought. Seems like it would have already been released if it was.

That doesn't look good, but I have a hard time believing the pack would betray Curran. I'm not as sure about Jim, but believe that would cause major issues in the pack and hopefully that will keep him in line.

I would love further Conlan adventures!

message 42: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

I love the author doesn’t put anything in a book unless it is necessary. I think he was fighting something that is part of what Kate is investigating. Yes, I’m not sure if it will be with fighting, giving information or both.
I’m not sure yet. Since he was getting ready to give a speech, he feels he is important. I’m not sure yet.
I’m really not sure if Kate is right about it possibly becoming a zombie apocalypse. I get that she is concerned about the possibility but I think there would have been more fo these creatures popping up if they are really contagious.
10. The sahanu said Roland ordered his daughter’s death and to have her son brought to him. I was surprised that he would actually give a kill order for Kate because of what happened when she was in Mishmar. I’m not quite sure if the sahanu are following Roland orders or someone elses. What are your thoughts?
It does seem odd that Roland would deliberately put himself in harms way. I’m just not sure why they would go after Kate and Conlan without his knowledge.
11. Avag Barsamian went into the Keep for two hours!!! The next day Robert offered an alliance. Should the Pack be trusted? Is the Pack going to stand by their alliance or abstain from fighting?
This is a hard one for me. Jim is Curran’s friend and I don’t think he would ever betray him, however he will always do what is best for the Pack.
12. I love Conlan!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if there were short stories in the author’s newsletter with Conlan’s adventures?! What is your favorite scene with Conlan in this segment of the book?
I loved it when Rowena took Conlan out of Kate’s arms and how she just dotted on him. I thought his interaction with the vampire was funny.

message 43: by Lexi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexi | 3104 comments 7. Yu Fong is from the Julie and Derrek story and I think that book probably set him up for a large role in this one. Having a dragon around has got to be useful. Also, I really like how everyone is showing up for the last book from all the different parts of the series.
8. New, creepy guy is definitely important and reminds me of Roland.
9. These are the creepy dudes from Iron and Magic and no zombies over there, so I think they are safe.
10. I’m pretty sure that if Kate dies, he dies so I think they are taking some artistic license.
11. I like to think they are loyal but Roland can be very, very manipulative.
12. I love Conlan and his “uh-oh” and how is such a mix of the two of them. His growing up is going to be fun.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4704 comments Discussion Questions - Day 1
Prologue - Chapter 5

I think it's a good idea to jump right into the child being older. Frankly newborns don't hold nearly as much appeal to read about

It showed she had support but I was especially happy about the aunt and didn't realize they were technically that close

I have no idea who the culprit may be but I wouldn't be surprised if Roland is part of it or at least knows of it

She realizes Nick is good for the Order and feels a loyalty to some of them, so she is supportive of him staying even if he doesn't like her. She doesnt take hatred personally. The same happened with the People before she claimed them. I think she was creative with her handling the order, and Conlan was cute at the lunch.

Everything has been adorable. I liked the argument with honey and the bears giving it to him

I am a bit - it makes sense but is sad and I feel Kate's loss. I think Raphael coming makes sense since he considers this a slight and he is one alpha to another.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments DQ’s Day 2 Chapter 6-10

I remember him from one of the novellas, he's a (view spoiler)

I just had a thought that maybe these new badies are even stronger than Roland and have him imprisoned somewhere... and it will take Kate and her crew to save him, thus re-bonding them or at least negating the threat that Roland poses...

Who knows... I haven't really thought about that aspect of the problem. Too busy cooing over Conlan..

This must be a red herring... it can't be possible for the pack to be enemies of Kate and Curran! Nuh... not buying that.

He's stealing every scene, I also like his Uh Ohs... so cute. And seeing Kate and Curran despite their super powers just as ordinary proud (and over protective) parents.

message 46: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica | 546 comments 1. What do you think of the authors' choice to start with Conlan's birth and then jump forward thirteen months?
I think that it was fine. I definitely don’t really want to hear about everything that Conlan did in him few months.

She had a huge heart. I love that she cares so much about other people and not just herself.

I don’t quite know. I do know that he had done several terrible things before, so I am not sure yet. I think someone who can transport definitely had something to do with it.

I like how she handled the Order members. I think that it was perfect. Her example of using the baby was awesome as well.

When he changed. I love all of his moments though.

Nope. He’s a man now, and can’t be trapped all his life.

message 47: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica | 546 comments 7. I really do not remember Yu Fong. I also haven’t read all of the novellas so that may be why. Yu Fong is part dragon and was fighting something in the sky. Any ideas? Do you think he will play an important role later in the book?
I don’t know, since I did not read the other novellas either. I think that he will definitely play an important role later on though.

I don’t have any idea at all. I think that Roland possibly will give some information, but maybe not. He is a confusing character as of now.

I think that someone is containing it and releasing it slowly, and possibly will release all of it.

I don’t know. I wouldn’t trust them as of now.

Definitely. His uh-oh’s.

message 48: by Snowtulip (last edited Aug 29, 2018 10:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Posting my DQ's a little early since I'll be offline most of tomorrow :D

DQ’s Day 3 Chapter 11-14

12. In this section, we are reminded of how strong both Kate and Curran are willing to protect their family. Kate is willing to die if she has to kill her father and Curran is killing gods to gain power. Do you think they are having a breakdown in communication by not sharing these things with each other?

13. We find out that the box delivered to Kate, Serenbe, and Yu Fong are all connected to Neig, a dragon! Do you think this is going to disrupt current alliances; will everyone want to fight something so big and unknown?

14. Kate kills almost all of the Sahanu and when she turns around she sees that Conlan watched her do all that killing. She is so concerned abouth that, but Conlan still reaches for her and calls her shiny. Are you worried for Conlan and how this life might impact him? Or will he just roll with it?

15. Wow, surprise, Hugh is here! What have you thought about Hugh in previous books? Does Christopher's thoughts about Hughs' empathetic side and his blood bond with Roland change your feelings toward Hugh?

16. Why do you think Julie is keeping so much from Kate?

17. I love the playful times between Kate and Curran, banter is always great:

"admit what?
He pointed to himself.
"All this is too much for you".
I rolled my eyes.

Do you miss the tension they had before they were together or do you prefer this loving partnership?

18. In keeping with the previous sets of questions, what is your favorite Conlan scene for this section of the book?

message 49: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments DQ’s Day 3 Chapter 11-14

12. In this section, we are reminded of how strong both Kate and Curran are willing to protect their family. Kate is willing to die if she has to kill her father and Curran is killing gods to gain power. Do you think they are having a breakdown in communication by not sharing these things with each other?

This has happened before in another book - the one where Curran pretends to have an affair with someone else to protect Kate, seems not sharing when they think the other one is in danger is par for the course for them.

13. We find out that the box delivered to Kate, Serenbe, and Yu Fong are all connected to Neig, a dragon! Do you think this is going to disrupt current alliances; will everyone want to fight something so big and unknown?

I'm thinking the opposite, everyone will have to unite to defeat "The Big Bad"

14. Kate kills almost all of the Sahanu and when she turns around she sees that Conlan watched her do all that killing. She is so concerned abouth that, but Conlan still reaches for her and calls her shiny. Are you worried for Conlan and how this life might impact him? Or will he just roll with it?

Kate justifies this a bit further on in the book and what she says then makes perfect sense. They are a family of "monsters" and this is what they do.

15. Wow, surprise, Hugh is here! What have you thought about Hugh in previous books? Does Christopher's thoughts about Hughs' empathetic side and his blood bond with Roland change your feelings toward Hugh?

I've always had a soft spot for Hugh and they rationalised his behaviour so well in Iron and Magic I have absolutely no problem with him. Kate and Hugh verbally sparring are some of the best lines in the entire series!

She is a teenager and Kate is her mother figure - plus there is that aspect of Kate and Julie being blood bonded, that Kate if she wanted to can command Julie. So Julie doesn't want Kate to know things which might test Kate's promise not to bend Julie to her will.

"admit what?
He pointed to himself.
I rolled my eyes.

Do you miss the tension they had before they were together or do you prefer this loving partnership?

The build up was great over the first three books but their being together is the natural progression and so well written I still really enjoy their "married people" banter.

18. In keeping with the previous sets of questions, what is your favorite Conlan scene for this section of the book?

It's a bit blood thirsty when Conlan takes his half form and injuries Razer. Way to go, baby Lion.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments DQ’s Day 3 Chapter 11-14

I think this is very much in their personalities. They will do whatever they need to, to protect those they love including keeping their actions from one another if that might hinder that protection. I am not sure they can help themselves.

13. We find out that the box delivered to Kate, Serenbe, and Yu Fong are all connected to Neig, a dragon! Do you think this is going to disrupt current alliances; will everyone want to fight something so big and unknown? Assuming they can get all factions to stop bickering amongst themselves and actually believe in the threat, I think it will bring them together. Most of the factions are willing to step up when they are needed.

14. Kate kills almost all of the Sahanu and when she turns around she sees that Conlan watched her do all that killing. She is so concerned about that, but Conlan still reaches for her and calls her shiny. Are you worried for Conlan and how this life might impact him? Or will he just roll with it?
No, i am not worried for Conlan. Despite having seen all that violence, he will also be growing up with Kate and Curran and the rest of their extended family so i think he will be fine.

Having just finished Iron and Magic, i have been waiting for this moment the whole book and it didn't disappoint! I think i have already gone back and read it a couple times :-P like some others above, i found my opinion of Hugh had already changed after reading Iron and magic and Christopher's thoughts only solidified things

I think she is showing she is a product of the her guardian figures who have raised her these last few years, at least in the case of Hugh. She is trying to protect Kate in her own way.

"admit what?
He pointed to himself.
I rolled my eyes.

No. I like the banter they have now and how it has changed them both.

The scene of him sleeping on the bed with Martha all peaceful

« previous 1