Start by marking “Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)

Magic Dreams

(Kate Daniels #4.5)

From New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews comes a tale of darkness, desire, and werecats.

Alpha Pack leader Jim Shrapshire has always been the strong, silent type. But something has come over him--a magic force currently residing in one of the Pack's headquarters. Were-tigress Dali Harimau has always wished she could get Jim's attention--but now he needs her help
Published June 26th 2012 by Ace (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Dreams

Anne
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Kate Daniels
Ever since I read Magic Steals a little while back, I'd been wanting to find out how Dali and Jim originally got together!
Dali is just one of those characters that have been in the background of the Kate Daniels books, but I've always secretly wished played a much larger role.

description

And Jim is...well, he's Jim. Curran's best friend, Kate's old partner, and the badass of the Pride.

description

Basically, there's some hinky black magic that nearly kills Jim and Dali is the only one qualified to help. Spoilery thing,
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Jim the werejaguar, the shapeshifter Pack’s chief of security, is in deep trouble from some mysterious sleeping sickness. Dali the vegetarian white tiger is determined to help ... not least, because she has a mad crush on Jim.

It’s an interesting and kind of amusing novella. Review to come.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Previous rating: 5 stars.
New rating: 3.5 stars. Yes, this is a Despicably Low Rating (DLR™). No, my account hasn't been hacked by the Fluffy Siberian Bunnies (FSB™). Yet.

And the moral of this reread is : shamelessly downrating an IA story for the first time in the entirety of my entire life I am. Because, although I love the Cool Japanese Stuff (CJS™) and Awesome Indonesian Stuf
Evgeny
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

One of the most powerful groups in post-apocalyptic Atlanta is called Pack: shape-shifters ruled by iron hand of its leader, Curran. One of his right-hand people, also in charge of overall security is Jim who makes his appearance in practically every previous Kate Daniels book. During one of his security related investigations he stumbles upon a magic-related problem, so he has to ask his resident magician Dali for help.

Dali is an unusual
Sophia Triad
Jim likes a girl. The problem is that Jim is too Alpha to make the first move. Moreover as the Pack Leader of the were-cats and head of Security for Curran the Beast Lord, he can be easily accused of taking advantage of his position.

Dali likes a boy. The problem is that were-tigress Dali is vegetarian, almost blind and too unattractive to make the first move. A brain with glasses she describes herself.

One day Jim is in trouble. Being at the wrong place the wrong time, he has been infected with s
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Kitty Stars

“Look, he isn’t even concerned.”
I poured the tea. “He’s concerned, Mother. He just doesn’t panic, because he’s in charge and if he panics, everybody else will panic.”
“I can jog around the room pretending to scream if you would like,” Jim offered.”

This novella centers around two of our favorite kitties in the series, Jim and Dali. As usual with IA's characters, these two find themselves neck-deep in trouble and have to find their way out of it.

Writing and action-wise the book is
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Butterfly Kissed Stars -- Re-read July 15, 2014 before the release of Magic Breaks

Possible inflating rating because of my love for Dali, don’t judge me. She became one of my favorite characters during the midnight games. Dali is a drag racing Indonesian white tiger, with magic, short term memory loss after shifting that curses on parchment and is a vegetarian….SOLD.

photo whitetiget_zps66d9a192.jpg

When Jim becomes the target of a supernatural force only Dali and her mystical family can help him. She has had a crush on J
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy reread with the Ilona Andrews Addicts in preparation for Magic Triumphs
Original rating - 4 stars
New rating - 3 stars

Yes, I know, lowering an IA rating should be punishable but between Jim and Dali and knowing what I now know of them I just couldn't look at this as sweet. Now the only thing I saw was how whiny and pathetic Dali is and feel sad for all that wasted potential. And Jim, well lets just say that I really want him to be a sacrifice of the war with Roland. This reread also made me
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
To say that I'm in love with Kate's world is an understatement...
description

After Kate and Andrea, it's Dali's turn to take the spotlight. She is the famous white tiger... and she's almost blind and a vegetarian.
description

Yep! That's Dali. Oh! And she has a huge crush on the big bad Cat Alpha, Jim. And (go figure!) he reciprocates. Uhum... Ilona Andrews writes fairy tales after all. It doesn't matter there is ass-kicking, people (things?!) loosing all kinds of bodily fluids all over the place... In the end, it's all
Irene Sim
"That time when I told you it didn't matter what your mother thought about your looks...."
"Aha..."
"I meant it," he said. "Because I think you're beautiful."

Dali and Jim, oh I love this couple.

Susana
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was so, so GOOD!!!
Ever since, the first time i read about Dali, that i got curious about this magical white tiger who is practically blind. And who likes to enter car races_ she gives a lot of work to auto-shops, one could say that she's helping the economy, cough_....oh, and someone who is a vegetarian.
A vegetarian tiger....cute!

Then there is Jim. The alpha of the cats, is as badass as one could get, but getting Dali to do as he wants, is JUST way beyond his skills. Because she is reckles
First read - July 2013
Second read - June 2015
Third read - June 2016
Fourth read - January 2018
5th Read - July 2018

Original Review

Magic Dreams is available to purchase as an ebook novella but was also included in the Hexed anthology. The story is set after Magic Bleeds and is told from Dali's point of view. We've already seen Dali's magic skills in previous stories but this time she faces her toughest challenge yet - saving the life of her Alpha Jim who is dying from a strange magical illness.

I al
Cyndi
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a novella that doesn't actually include Kate, although she is mentioned. We learn that the reason Kate has so much trouble with phones is because her magic is so powerful. She generates so much magic that tech quits around her, like guns, phones etc. "And she has no clue."
So, Jim had become under attack by a curse and Dali has to help him. I loved this novella!!
It was good to see Kate's world from someone else's POV. This was in Dali's and it was great! She is one of my favorite side
Hollis
This is one novella that I didn't quite enjoy as much the second time around. That being said I loved the fact that Jim had to be so careful with how he approached things with Dali and, if nothing else, this is worth reading just for the final chapter where it all comes together.
Liz* Fashionably Late

Magic Strikes (#3) ★★★★★ [Amazing]
Magic Mourns (#3.5) ★★★★☆
Magic Bleeds (#4) ★★★★★
Magic Dreams (#4.5) ★★★☆☆

Even if Dali is super cute, Jim is not as cool as he think he is.
_________________________________
Aha! I knew something funny was going on with Kate's phones! /random comment off.

I have to say the women in Kate Daniel series are incredible. Dali isn't the exception. I found her intr
Hollis
"[..] I wrote, 'Don't be an a-hole!'"
"On yours or mine?"
"On yours."
"Well, in that case, your magic isn't working. I'm still an asshole.
"

Jim! And Dali! I can't wait to see how the events of this one play out in the periphery of book five. The story itself was an intriguing little side-adventure plot but really I was enjoying this one for the shipping.

I'm still on hold for the novella that comes before book four but this was actually a perfect accidental refresher for MAGIC BURNS. Also after te
Angela
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jo
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing

07/09/2016 Re-reading one of my favorite series', because the Kate Daniels world is a excellent place to be!

When a girl weighs a hundred pounds soaking wet, her glasses are thicker than Sherlock Holmes’s loupe, and everybody under the sun makes fun of her because she’s a vegetarian and blood makes her vomit, she has to do something to prove that she isn’t a wimp. The wild, deafening chaos of the Friday-night Buzzard race was a strictly no-wimps-allowed kind of fun.

I loved this novella. I hav

Haïfa
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
Now this is a really nice addition to the whole picture!
I didn't expect much of this book since I don't care much about Dali and Jim but boy, the pace was fast, the mystery interesting and Dali's self-mockery was really funny and endearing at the same time.

Great novella!

Aly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ilona and Gordon are genius. Not only because of their creative imagination and knack for entertaining stories but because there was almost no romance in this novella and they still kept my attention from beginning to end and made me enjoy this story so much.

It's set in the Kate Daniels's world. You don't need to have read it, there's explanations about how the magic works in this world, but you must if you're a Urban Fantasy fan. No seriously, they are the best ! Told in Dali's POV, an Indones
Vippi
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vippi by: Sakina
Synopsis: Those two are pure cuteness

The main strengths of KD's series are its unique mix of magic, myths and action and, above all, its amazing, dimensional characters.
This novella is no exception.

Magic Dreams tells a (mis)adventures that Dali – the vegetarian, blood-scared and nearly blind (a good mix for a shapeshifter, isn't it?) white tiger – and Jim – the reserved alpha Cat – have to face.

This side story allows the reader to know better these two intriguing characters, but that's not all
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Magic Dreams was sweet little story, full of Indonesian mythology and some pretty scary creatures, about Dali and Jim working on a case together. This short novella takes place after events in Magic Bleeds.

“Didn’t Jim forbid you to race?”
Jim was my alpha. The shapeshifter Pack was segregated into seven clans, by the family of the animal, and Jim headed Felidae with a big Jaguar paw hiding awesome claws. He was smart, and strong, and incredibly hot—and the only time Jim noticed my existence was
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
This read took effort, a first occurrence for me with an Ilona Andrews book. Firstly, the first person POV annoyed me - now maybe this is because everything else I've read lately has been third, but I didn't like it. Secondly, the whole thing felt lacking. I enjoyed random parts of the book, like the dragon guy, but on a whole this was 2 stars for me. I have it 3 stars for the creativity & it'd hurt my heart to give an IA book such a low rating. And then I might get kicked out of the cult.

I
Keertana
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swoooon
I'll admit it: I was not a huge fan of Jim or Dali before Magic Dreams. I thought they were both interesting and endearing characters in their own right and while I sensed chemistry between them, I wasn't too bothered with them as a couple. After all, with Kate and Curran taking center stage, how could your thoughts stray to anyone who wasn't the Beast Lord and his Consort? ;) With Magic Dreams, however, Ilona Andrews gives us an opportunity to see a couple that is completely different to both K ...more
Choko
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

The Great Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread of 2017 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

"...“You want me to go back into that house protected by a magic sticky note?”
“Don’t even start,” I told him. “It’s working. If it weren’t working, you couldn’t drag me into that place.”
“What did you write on here? ‘Don’t die’?”
No, I wrote, ‘Don’t be an a-hole!” I headed for the house.
“On yours or mine?”
“On yours”
“Well, in that case, your magic isn’t working. I’m still an asshole.”..."

This was
Cathryn
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was not clamoring for more of Jim and Dali when I read the regular books but I am so glad they got their own novella. I absolutely loved them!!! I also like the introduction of a new angle on the magic world. Just like real life is full of different cultures/myths/religions the Andrews are bringing that same richness into this world. I would love to see even more of this in the series. It was so interesting.
Maggie
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dali, you adorable scene stealer. In this novella, the half-blind nerd girl gets center stage. Dali, the vegetarian white tiger shapeshifter who crashed into the story in Magic Strikes, is everything Kate Daniels isn't. She doesn't fight, doesn't kill, but that doesn't mean Dali isn't badass in her own right. She can write out a curse in calligraphy like no one else.
Jim: "You want me to go back into that house protected by a magic sticky note?"
We saw a hint of possibly something between Dali and
Cathy (cathepsut)
Re-reading the series with the Ilona Andrews Addicts, before 'Magic Binds' comes out in September 2016. Hadn't planned to re-read all the shorts and novellas as well, but changed my mind. Will try to read parallel to the main series...

"It just goes to show that no matter how great a nail you give humanity, we’ll manage to hammer it into the ground crooked."

I read this for the first time in August 2012. And I barely remembered a thing about the plot. Not much to add to the original review. It is
Anali
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it

“If you tried to hurt my mother, I would totally kick your ass.”
“Aha.”
“Yes. You would be lying on the ground, crying, ‘No more, no more,’ and I would be kicking you in the stomach, wham, wham, wham!”

3.5 ★★★★

Magic Dreams es una historia corta sobre Jim y Dali. No estaba segura de leerla, pero ambos son personajes muy interesantes, así que me anime y no me arrepiento. ADORO a Dali.

Tanto ella como Jim casi eran un misterio. Cuando su personaje fue introducido en las novelas anteriores, no sa
  • Magic Strikes - Hot Tub (Curran POV #5)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • Hex Appeal
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
“Look, he isn’t even concerned.”
40 likes
“A rolled-up newspaper landed on my head and then on Jim’s. “None of that in my house!”
Oh my gods. The alpha of Clan Cat just got smacked with a rolled-up newspaper. “Mom!”
She pointed at me with the newspaper. “Do not shame me.”
I clamped my mouth shut. When she pulled out the shame card, it was all over.”
24 likes