Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; I - L > Red Sister by Mark Lawrence( Adult Sci-fi/Fantasy) starts June 16, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod

Synopsis
I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy young girls are raised to be killers. In a few the old bloods show, gifting talents rarely seen since the tribes beached their ships on Abeth. Sweet Mercy hones its novices’ skills to deadly effect: it takes ten years to educate a Red Sister in the ways of blade and fist.

But even the mistresses of sword and shadow don’t truly understand what they have purchased when Nona Grey is brought to their halls as a bloodstained child of eight, falsely accused of murder: guilty of worse.

Stolen from the shadow of the noose, Nona is sought by powerful enemies, and for good reason. Despite the security and isolation of the convent her secret and violent past will find her out. Beneath a dying sun that shines upon a crumbling empire, Nona Grey must come to terms with her demons and learn to become a deadly assassin if she is to survive…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 03, 2018 01:26AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters End % MPQDs

16&17 June 1-8 23% Karen
18&19 June 9-20 47% Shannon (countessmom)
**BREAK DAY**
21&22 June 21-34 75% Teddie
23&24 June 35-end 100% Jessica

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:37PM) (new)

DQ Volunteers

Randomised (under spoiler)
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2640 comments I'm in for this (I kinda nominated it so really should be) and will volunteer for DQs.

Gilderoy Lockhart

message 8: by MelanieJoy (new)

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'm in. Gilderoy Lockhart. Back up DQs.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Alison wrote: "I'm in for this (I kinda nominated it so really should be) and will volunteer for DQs.

Gilderoy Lockhart"

Hehehe!

message 10: by Tina ❣ (last edited May 20, 2018 08:13PM) (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Oooh this sounds good. I'm up for reading it and DQ - preferably not the first or second set.

- Team Tonks

message 11: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 10456 comments Mod
This does sound interesting! Still haven't read Prince of Thorns but oh well, will read this first then ;-)

I'm in for Team Severus Snape. I could also write some DQ.

message 12: by Eunice (new)

Eunice | 503 comments Ooh, this has been on my to-read list for a while. I'm up for it.

Back-up for writing DQs. Team Nymphadora Tonks.

message 13: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 I'm in, Team Minerva McGonagall

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Heyy Team Filius Flickwick jumping in :)

I would be interested in participating and writing DQ's

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Team Lockhart here - in for DQs as backup :)

message 16: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'll volunteer for DQ's, Team Bellatrix Lestrange :)

message 17: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments I'm in. Team Nymphadora Tonks

message 18: by Elize (last edited May 20, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments I have put this one on hold at the library ready to start June 16 :)

(not on a team)

message 19: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Tina wrote: "Oooh this sounds good. I'm up for reading it and DQ - preferably not the first or second set."

Are you on a team? (don't have to be, we just need to know so we don't duplicate volunteers from the same team when randomising)

message 20: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Tina wrote: "Oooh this sounds good. I'm up for reading it and DQ - preferably not the first or second set."

Are you on a team? (don't have to be, we just need to know so we don't duplicate volunte..."

Yep! I'm on Team Tonks

message 21: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I’m in for this, and I’m up for doing DQs (Team Hermione).

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 546 comments I'm up for writing DQ questions. Doesn't matter which set. (Team Remus Lupin)

message 23: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 3949 comments Mod
I'm in and can write DQs from Pomona Sprout

message 24: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments I will write DQs for Tom Riddle! :D

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Zdunczyk (k8rz) | 17 comments Looks like a great book. Can’t wait to read! When will the reading timeline be ready?

message 26: by Keli (new)

Keli | 772 comments I'm in for team Moaning Myrtle

message 27: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm in for Team Draco.

message 28: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Katie wrote: "Looks like a great book. Can’t wait to read! When will the reading timeline be ready?"

posted

% based on ebook

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 29, 2018 05:00PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14775 comments Mod
I'm conflicted. It reads like a YA synopsis and the cover also looks YA, but it is Adult Fantasy?
And my friends who have read it give it either 2 or 5 stars

Yikes

Ok, so I think I will volunteer for DQs and if I get a spot, then I'll read it... and if I don't , then I won't. How's that for letting the universe decide? lol!

Team Luna Lovegood

message 30: by Eldarwen (new)

That is quite the difference!

Seems like this is one of those that you'll either love or hate?

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I'm thinking so, E!

message 32: by Eldarwen (new)

Well let's hope for the love part then... *slightly scared*

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

:o

message 34: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments I just noticed that Karen (msg 30) was added to the volunteer list but no one from posts 22-28 was. Just wanted to make sure they didn't get overlooked! ;)

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1132 comments Can I read this one with you all?? Also what does DQ's mean?

message 36: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Vicky wrote: "I just noticed that Karen (msg 30) was added to the volunteer list but no one from posts 22-28 was. Just wanted to make sure they didn't get overlooked! ;)"

Cheers Vicky - fixed up. Must have been an unrefreshed window

message 37: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Susan wrote: "Can I read this one with you all?? Also what does DQ's mean?"

Sure can!

People volunteering to write discussion questions (DQs). You can read more about it under the spoiler in this post

message 38: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt | 151 comments Hi... Is it too late to join? I would love to read this one with you all! I don't understand the teams so I can join any of them I don't mind. I am not good with generating questions, but I would love to discuss the answers with you all.

Thanks

message 39: by Eldarwen (new)

I was flicking through the book just now to see how big the sections are and wanted to make a suggestion for the cut-off chapter of day 2, if you don't mind?

I noticed that at the end of chapter 20, a new part starts and that seems like a perfect point for cutting things off instead of moving on to reading chapter 21 on that day as well.
That new part starts of with a few random pages (mini intro/prologue maybe) and then moves on to chapter 21.

Just a thought really but figured I'd mention it :-)

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon O'Flynn | 294 comments Can i join still?? Im a little confused because this is my first time doing this but it looks like a great book and id love to read it with you guys.

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Put me down for DQs....Team Ginny Weasley

message 42: by Elize (new)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Shannon wrote: "Can i join still?? Im a little confused because this is my first time doing this but it looks like a great book and id love to read it with you guys."

Yes of course! Just grab the book by the start date (16th June) and read along. Each day discussion questions (DQ) will be posted and you can answer some or all of them and read everyone elses responses too. Good fun!

Oh and don't worry if you get a little behind or miss the start date because you are waiting for a book from the library etc. Just join when you can (and don't read the later chapter spoilers! :P)

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments I’m up for this book but don’t follow how the teams work. You can stick me on a team that needs some people. Otherwise, I’ll just plan on responding to the DQs.

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Eldarwen wrote: "I was flicking through the book just now to see how big the sections are and wanted to make a suggestion for the cut-off chapter of day 2, if you don't mind?

I noticed that at the end of chapter 2..."

Good idea. I did the breakdown off the ebook, so just went by % and didn't notice there were 2 sections. I'll update the breakdown

message 45: by Eldarwen (new)

:-D

message 46: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm picking up my copy tomorrow from the library! I love these book reads and the questions are really engaging.

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 1834 comments I'm in :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I have my copy and am ready to read!

message 49: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1945 comments Team Ginny Weasley joining in. I jumped the gun and read two chapters to see if I might like this book. It seems to have potential so will wait for start date to continue.

message 50: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments When will DQ assignments be made?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6