Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli (Young Adult BOM) starts June 2, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31616 comments Mod

Synopsis
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best friend from the award-winning Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda—takes center stage in this novel of first love and senior-year angst.

When it comes to drumming, Leah Burke is usually on beat—but real life isn’t always so rhythmic. An anomaly in her friend group, she’s the only child of a young, single mom, and her life is decidedly less privileged. She loves to draw but is too self-conscious to show it. And even though her mom knows she’s bisexual, she hasn’t mustered the courage to tell her friends—not even her openly gay BFF, Simon.

So Leah really doesn’t know what to do when her rock-solid friend group starts to fracture in unexpected ways. With prom and college on the horizon, tensions are running high. It’s hard for Leah to strike the right note while the people she loves are fighting—especially when she realizes she might love one of them more than she ever intended.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:11AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters End % MPQDs

2&3June 1-9 26% Imke
4&5June 10-18 50% Jessica
6&7June 19-28 72% Tammie
8&9June 29-35 100% Vicky

Breakdown is based on this kindle version of the book. Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2) by Becky Albertalli

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 30, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

DQ Volunteers

Laura Newt Scamander
Cat Cedric Diggory
Imke Ginny Weasley
Melissa Lockhart
Tammie Minerva M
Snowtulip Bellatrix Lestrange
Brooklyn Tonks
Jessica Remus Lupin
Vicky Tom Riddle ( later date)

----------
Back Up

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 30, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Randomised:

===========

There were 9 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Vicky Tom Riddle
Imke Ginny Weasley
Jessica Remus Lupin
Brooklyn Tonks
Tammie Minerva M
Snowtulip Bellatrix Lestrange
Cat Cedric Diggory
Laura Newt Scamander
Melissa Lockhart
IP:
Timestamp: 2018-05-29 22:32:35 UTC

===========

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Ok, I 'll start us off; I'm in and volunteer to do DQ's.
Team Newt Scamander

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7527 comments Mod
I'll throw my hat in the ring for the Diamond Diggory team, please.

message 10: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions. Team Ginny Weasley.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Team Lockhart - in for DQ's :)

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Team Minerva M...I'm interested in writing DQ's ... Thank you!

message 13: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Interested in DQ's for Team Bellatrix Lestrange :)

message 14: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments I'm totally in to read this! I'm on Team Tonks.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 546 comments Team Remus Lupin... I am interested in writing DQs

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments I'm Team Tom Riddle and I'm interested in DQs but not 100% sure I'll get the book for the 2nd, so a later date would be best for me! :)

message 17: by Erika (new)

Erika | 548 comments Oooo definitely want to read this one! Team Newt!

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Volunteers have been randomised and those that came up at the top have been assigned days to the schedule above.

Let us know asap if a date doesn't work for you!

message 19: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments I don’t think I signed up to do DQ. I’d prefer not as I don’t know what my reading schedule will be like.

message 20: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thanks Brooklyn for the message. (sorry!)We will remove you from the list and add the next person from our randomized list.

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 30, 2018 03:59PM) (new)

Tammie you were next in the randomized list; if you can't write DQ's for that day please message us. ( Message sent to your inbox. )

message 22: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Tammie you were next in the randomized list; if you can't write DQ's for that day please message us. ( Message sent to your inbox. )"

I’m glad to write questions...thanks...

message 23: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments OMG! This book is so good I may blast through it and to heck with the reading schedule. Ha! I read the first 9 chapters already and can’t put it down.

message 24: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments I'm starting this one today. Can't wait to discuss.

Team Newt!

message 25: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May:

1. Have you read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Maybe seen the Movie yet? (I haven't, it is not out in The Netherlands yet) Did you like the book/movie? For me it was a while since I read Simon, but some of the characters stuck in my mind so for me it helps with the dynamics of Leah's group of friends.

2. From what I've read so far I love the references to fandoms, fanfiction and reading. A quote for the Slytherins among us: "I'm basically your resident fat Slytherin Rory Gilmore.", Do you think this describes Leah?

3. I love the friendship between Simon and Leah. Did you have a friendship like theirs in highschool?

4. "Imagine going about your day knowing someone's carrying you in their mind. That has to be the best part of being in love - the feeling of having a home in someone else's brain. What's the best of being in love for you? Do you agree with Leah?

5. Do you read fanfiction like Leah does? Or make fanart like she is making? Do you post art or pictures you make on Instagram or Tumblr? Do you maybe write fanfiction, if you do what kind and which fandom?

6. What do you think of Leah's group of friends? Do you like them?

7. Will Morgan's rejection letter break up the group of friends? What did you think of her reaction as to why she did not get in to the university? Do you agree with Leah's reaction?

message 26: by Tammie (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May:

1. Have you read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Maybe seen the Movie yet? (I haven't, it is not out in The Netherlands yet) Did you like the book/movie? For me it was a while since I read Simon, but some of the characters stuck in my mind so for me it helps with the dynamics of Leah's group of friends.
No, I’ve done neither

2. From what I've read so far I love the references to fandoms, fanfiction and reading. A quote for the Slytherins among us: "I'm basically your resident fat Slytherin Rory Gilmore.", Do you think this describes Leah?
I think in her mind it does describe her...she seems to be very confident with her appearance even with references from others that are somewhat insulting, I believe a strong point for her character.

3. I love the friendship between Simon and Leah. Did you have a friendship like theirs in highschool?
A few yes, although high school for me was 40+ years ago. Things were very different back then although there were still groups, popular kids, nerdy, jocks and such...
I believe Simon is lucky to have Leah as a friend and vice versa.

4. "Imagine going about your day knowing someone's carrying you in their mind. That has to be the best part of being in love - the feeling of having a home in someone else's brain. What's the best of being in love for you? Do you agree with Leah?
I do, and I loved her perspective on this.

5. Do you read fanfiction like Leah does? Or make fanart like she is making? Do you post art or pictures you make on Instagram or Tumblr? Do you maybe write fanfiction, if you do what kind and which fandom?
Not really my thing honestly.

All very likeable and somewhat diverse. Morgan has obviously struck a strong cord of anger in Leah and rightfully so. I’m not sure most would have the guts Leah did. It’s fun how she’s crushed on some of her friends...will be interesting to see how this evolves.

7. Will Morgan's rejection letter break up the group of friends? What did you think of her reaction as to why she did not get in to the university? Do you agree with Leah's reaction?
She’s sorry...seems genuine to me when she says that. But she’s right in defending Abby’s acceptance. Making a racist comment like that was offensive...like I said before not everyone would have the confidence to defend something like that.

message 27: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 03, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Cheryl | 905 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May

I have not read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda nor seen the movie. I think it would be helpful to have done so because clearly there is a lot of back story in this book that would be easier to follow if I had read the first book.

It is so nice to have a heavy girl who is comfortable in their own skin. Also, I think it is tribute to her mother.

How I miss my best friend from high school who was always there for me. I was also priviledged to have a best friend situation of Leah...a gay guy.

Knowing that you always have someone there for you is so wonderful. I agree with Leah to know that someone thinks of you often is so comforting.

No

It seems to be a balanced group of people from all kinds of backgrounds and various interests.

I do not think it will break them up. I think it will take awhile for everyone to find out to make the situation comfortable for everyone. The reaction is common and has been there for many people. It is difficult when you are rejected in any situation and as you grasp for an explanation. I think Morgan feels genuinely sorry for comment. She was just hurting and had an inappropriate response.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin | 612 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May:

I read the book and really liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out on netflix

It might be the way she sees herself- from the way she describes herself, the description makes sense, but I don't know if she has an honest opinion of herself.

No exactly like that, but my group of friends was pretty close

I agree with her in a way. I think the best part is knowing that someone else is thinking about you and cares about what's going on with you.

I'm not super artistic, so I don't do fanart or anything. Some of my friends write fanfic, so I read

I like their dynamic-most of them seem to be pretty good people, who are pretty funny

It's definitely going to cause friction with the group. It was a really horrible thing to say, and I think Leah was right to call her out on what she said. I think Morgan probably doesn't really feel that Abby didn't deserve her spot, but being upset isn't an excuse for saying something like that

message 29: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 June 3

I read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda pretty recently (about 2 months ago) and loved it. I haven't seen the movie, I'm afraid it would not do that awesome book justice.

I don't see her well enough in my head to know if it's truly accurate. But I think she thinks that's the best way she can describe herself.

I don't think I ever got that kind of unconditional friendship until I went to college. I met my best friend in the whole world there and we are still extremely close to this day.

I'm a much older woman reading this book so I will say that my 17 year old self would agree with that. My 42 year old self has a somewhat different take on things.

I've have read fanfiction before but it's not something I do regularly and I don't write it or draw pictures or anything like that.

I think that it's a shame that she doesn't share more of herself with her friends. I think she'd feel that she was more part of the group. I feel like she kind of sets herself apart a lot.

I don't think Morgan's rejection letter will break up the group. I think what she said after she was rejected will. I think it's easy to make someone else the scapegoat when something doesn't go your way. What she said was undoubtedly racist (not surprising, but racist nonetheless) and I think Leah's reaction was justified.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments 1. Have you read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Maybe seen the Movie yet? (I haven't, it is not out in The Netherlands yet) Did you like the book/movie? For me it was a while since I read Simon, but some of the characters stuck in my mind so for me it helps with the dynamics of Leah's group of friends.
I haven't read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. I 'm really enjoying this so I may go back and read it. I also haven't seen the movie.

Yes, though unfortunately we 've lost touch and only occasionally run into each other.

I loved that statement ; it has a lot of truth to it.

No, I don't read fanfiction

I like Leah's group of friends but I don't think the author has given us enough information about all of them yet; except maybe Simon. I 'm not a fan of Morgan.

Morgan's reaction to not getting into university was immature; take responsibility for your own actions. Morgan's comment was racist and Leah was very mature for calling her on it.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 546 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 10-18 4&5 June

8: So, Abby seems to be an annoying type of girl who will talk your ear off. How do you feel about Abby and how the other girls treat her? How do you feel when Leah invites Abby on the roadtrip?

9: In chapter 13, we catch a glimse of her mom. Do you like it when moms are so overportective and want to do everything for their daughter together?

10: How do you feel about Abby flirting with Leah? Do you think that they could have a relationship and it last?

11: How do you feel about Morgan being racist. What would you do in this situation?

12: My feelings definitely changed for Abby. Have your feeling changed towards Abby? If so, then what changed and why?

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May:

I haven't read the first book but I don't feel too lost. The characters aren't as fleshed out for me because she didn't really do a great job of describing who people were in case the reader didn't read the first book. But after a while I figured it out.

I don't like Leah. I think she is rude and arrogant TBH. I think she is lacking self confidence and covers it up by being mean to the people around her that she is jealous of.

3. I love the friendship between Simon and Leah. Did you have a friendship like theirs in high school?

I had friends in high school yes - nothing quite like theirs tho.

That is a great part of being in love. To me the best part is that my husband is my best friend. We still have fun and joke with each other and I get to spend everyday for the rest of my life with him.

I don't read fanfiction. I used to read a little bit but it was never something I was into for that long.

I don't know. They seem like they don't really like each other all that much. They seem to talk about each other a lot and there seems to be a lot of negativity and immaturity about the group.

Morgan's rejection will impact the group negatively of course. What she said was disgusting and rude. I'm glad that Leah said something to her because someone needed to call her out. I don't like Anna for blaming this all on Leah because Morgan was wrong.

I do have to say tho that I had to roll my eyes at Leah's comment when she said that she was surprised that Morgan felt this way because she once yelled at a person wearing a Trump hat in a store. To me this shows the immaturity of the entire group. Thinking that a person cannot have a racist thought while not being a Trump supporter and vice versa.

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 10-18 4&5 June

8: So, Abby seems to be an annoying type of girl who will talk your ear off. How do you feel about Abby and how the other girls treat her? How do you feel when Leah invites Abby on the roadtrip?

I like Abby. I think she is just a genuine nice person who is trying very hard to make Leah see that she likes her. I think when the other girls talk about her negatively it is because they are jealous of her. I didn't think Leah invited her I thought Abby had the idea so she could spend time with Leah.

9: In chapter 13, we catch a glimpse of her mom. Do you like it when moms are so overprotective and want to do everything for their daughter together?

I didn't feel that her mom was overprotective and wanted to do everything together. I am a young mom (not as young as her) and if my daughter were going to a college thing I would want to go too. I would definitely want to go shopping for a prom dress with my daughter as well. I think her mom is very supportive of Leah and loves her very much. Leah seems to have a lot of freedom. Leah's mom is probably my favorite character so far.

10: How do you feel about Abby flirting with Leah? Do you think that they could have a relationship and it last?

I don't know. If neither of them wants to tell the other how they feel they won't be able to have a relationship. The book is pretty predictable tho so I'm sure that they will and it will be fine. (or maybe not!)

11: How do you feel about Morgan being racist. What would you do in this situation?

I don't think that Morgan is racist. I think she said a racist thing because she was jealous. She made the comment when something happened to affect her own life. That's more common then people think.

12: My feelings definitely changed for Abby. Have your feeling changed towards Abby? If so, then what changed and why?

No - I still like Abby. I think she is finally doing what she wants instead of what she thinks she should do.

message 34: by Cat (new)

1. Have you read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Maybe seen the Movie yet?
Nope and nope! I've got the book to read, but didn't get around to it before 2 June rolled up on me! so I've the spoilers, but that's OK

I have never seen the Gilmore Girls, so can't comment to that bit. But, like Sass says, if that's how she wants to see herself... I agree with Melissa - there's a whole load of self-confidence issues there that explain some of her shitty decisions & attitude.

Not that close, no! I guess this is why there's a move away from "best friends" to wider engagement in nurseries / early year schools - it's way more balanced to have a range of people who provide support, not just one.

A lateral way of answering this one.... My favourite song as a teen was Radiohead's Creep. I'll try not to gush, but the lyrics "I want you to notice / When I'm not around" were (and - to a lesser degree, remain) really powerful.
So, yes, though I suspect my lines are more passive-aggressive about it than Leah's!

nope nope nope.

ehhh... I dunno. There's some placeholder stereotypes there a bit

I don't get it in the least. UK unis & applications are not like this - and it is many years since I was going through the application process...

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments @ Cat - I didn't get the application process either but for different reasons. If Morgan's parents were such big supporters, alumni, donation givers, then there would be NO WAY she would not have gotten into that school. Sadly, that happens in American colleges quite a bit. It's a 'who you know' type of thing. If that would have happened then Morgan would have never thought twice about the person's spot she took because her family had money.

I don't understand the fact that people are saying this girl is a racist because of one statement. Don't get me wrong it was a disgusting and horrible statement to make but for it to go this far with their friends is unbelievable to me. It feels like you said earlier, just typical stereotype people and situations in the book to have the story go where the author wants it to and not where it naturally would flow. It feels to forced to me.

message 36: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 10-18 4&5 June

I think both Leah and Abby are questioning their 'feelings' for each other. I'm not sure I'm the best judge of either as I'm sooooo much older, but I do believe up to this point in the story, that Abby has been a bit annoying to Leah. I believe Abby's actions are driven more from emotion than Leah's are.
I do think Abby is the one that takes charge of the 'road trip'.

9: In chapter 13, we catch a glimse of her mom. Do you like it when moms are so overportective and want to do everything for their daughter together?
In this chapter I don't believe her mom is 'over-protective. I think Leah and her mom have a pretty healthy relationship actually. I personally know of several moms have not allowed their children to be somewhat independent...always offering their opinion. Honestly it's destructive to a child's ability to think for themselves when parents offer too many opinions. A healthy relationship with a parent is one where the children ask for their parents opinions on things.

It's interesting that Abby still has the drawing Leah drew of her...even more interesting that Leah recalls the exact date she drew it. I believe there is something there.

I think everyone, at a minimum, is a bit racist. I think Morgan said something out loud that she should have kept to herself...she was pretty emotional not getting in to the school of her choice. She likely wanted to be with her friends and is now feeling like an 'outsider'...her current actions are making her one.
It would help her if she knew Abby better...but I don't really see that happening...will see.

When I learned that Abby had a very good GPA and after I read more of the interactions between Leah and Abby...I liked how much Leah and her have in common. It seems that perhaps Abby has learned this as well. I also liked how quick she responds to Leah's comment about 'dating girls'. It's pretty clear too that Abby has a need to take care of Leah as well...so cute.

message 37: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments DQ
Chapters 1-9:

1. Have you read Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda? Maybe seen the Movie yet? Did you like the book/movie? I've both read the book and seen the movie. Absolutely loved both.

2. From what I've read so far I love the references to fandoms, fanfiction and reading. A quote for the Slytherins among us: "I'm basically your resident fat Slytherin Rory Gilmore.", Do you think this describes Leah? I don't know. I never jumped on the Gilmore Girls bandwagon so I can't compare her to Rory.

3. I love the friendship between Simon and Leah. Did you have a friendship like theirs in high school? I did. We used to complete each other's sentences and know what the other was thinking with just a look. We could be content to sit near each other in complete silence. We lost touch after I went off to college and she had a baby. I miss having a friend like that.

4. "Imagine going about your day knowing someone's carrying you in their mind. That has to be the best part of being in love - the feeling of having a home in someone else's brain. What's the best of being in love for you? Do you agree with Leah? That is pretty great. The idea of knowing that there is always someone there who you can count on, that you know is always thinking about you.

5. Do you read fan fiction like Leah does? Or make fanart like she is making? Do you post art or pictures you make on Instagram or Tumblr? Do you maybe write fan fiction, if you do what kind and which fandom? Nope. Occassionally I'll read fan fiction, but it's not really something I am drawn to.

6. What do you think of Leah's group of friends? Do you like them? I think they are all awesome. I think they are just normal teenagers going through the challenges of high school and growing up. They really are a good group of kids that all seem to be there for each other and support each other.

7. Will Morgan's rejection letter break up the group of friends? What did you think of her reaction as to why she did not get in to the university? Do you agree with Leah's reaction? I think Morgan was just acting out of disappointment, the idea of being a failure and jealousy that her friends made it and she didn't. I don't think she was intentionally being mean. She just lashed out. Leah's reaction was a bit over the top, but I think part of that was because she has feelings for Abby. I'm glad she stood her ground though and stood up for Abby, anyway. She may have been a bit strong, but I don't think everyone else should have brushed it off so easily either.

message 38: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 481 comments DQ
Chapter 10-18

8: So, Abby seems to be an annoying type of girl who will talk your ear off. How do you feel about Abby and how the other girls treat her? How do you feel when Leah invites Abby on the road trip? I don't see Abby that way. I see her as someone who is trying to be friends with everyone.

9: In chapter 13, we catch a glimpse of her mom. Do you like it when moms are so overprotective and want to do everything for their daughter together? I think part of that is that she was a single mom, so it was always just the two of them. But it's better that than a mom who couldn't care less and is never involved. As a parent, I totally get it. I'll probably always be pretty protective of my daughter.

10: How do you feel about Abby flirting with Leah? Do you think that they could have a relationship and it last? It's not fair. She is so confusing! Poor Leah. I get that Abby may be confused on what she is feeling, but her mixed signals are just not fair.

11: How do you feel about Morgan being racist. What would you do in this situation? I'm not sure what I would do, but it definitely makes me see her differently. I know she wasn't intentionally being mean, but her comment was uncalled for and I think she should apologize.

12: My feelings definitely changed for Abby. Have your feeling changed towards Abby? If so, then what changed and why? I don't know that my feelings for Abby have changed. I've always liked her from the beginning of the book. She's been a smart girl that is confused and trying to figure things out.

message 39: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Cheryl | 905 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 10-18 4&5 June

I think that both Abby and Leah are trying to figure out how they are feeling about each other. It was initially Abby's idea to do the roadtrip, wasn't it? I think it is her way of seeing if there is something more between the two of them.

9: In chapter 13, we catch a glimpse of her mom. Do you like it when moms are so overprotective and want to do everything for their daughter together?
I did not find the situation of the prom dress shopping as her mom being overprotective, in any way. Parents, generally, want the very best for their children. Sometimes they even try to create for their children their own dream world, probably out of a desire to fix things in their own lives that did not go as planned. Also, you may overcompensate in an area where you can to try to fix other mess-ups in your past with your child. Leah's mother clearly wants her daughter to be totally happy and enjoys being with her in those "scrapbook" moments.

I think that Abby is sending out confusing messages. Of course, Leah has never revealed that she is bisexual, so it would be hard for Abby to be direct until she knows that Leah would be interested in the same way. Possible long term relationship.

I do not believe that Morgan is racist. Her single comment was out of hurt and trying to explain why things did not go as she had hoped by using an overgeneralization, not knowing about her actual qualifications. On a bit of a defense, many universities do admit some minority students on a different criterion to balance the university.

No change

message 40: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments @Melissa: I may not be as far along in the book as you. Were you talking about people in the book calling Morgan racist?

message 41: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 3107 comments Discussion questions Chapters 1-9 2&3 May:

Book, yes,movie, no and I enjoyed it and Simon especially. I look forward to seeing more about them.
I think it is how she sees herself.
No, but I did in college.
I think it is the ability to share thoughts and ideas that may not matter to others.
I never wandered into fandoms very much.
I think they are fun but I get the economic differences and different views on life and goals.
Yes because this book needs a plot. I think communication even by texts could possibly spare future drama.

message 42: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 19-28 4&5 June
13. There are several references to ‘dog-earing’ books. What are your thoughts on this practice?
14. Abby is reading Harry Potter, one of Leah’s favorite series. She comments on how much she loves her art and says she ‘would pay for it’. Do you think Abby is being truthful or just trying to impress Leah? Have you ever done something like this and how did it turn out for you good or bad?
15. Leah and Abby attend a college party during their spring break ‘road trip’. Leah has some success with playing the drums for the group gathered there. She really down plays how well she did and she down plays herself quite a bit in when she’s with Abby. Why do you think she’s doing this…to me anyway, she seemed a lot more confident at the start of this book?
16. Since Abby ‘stole’ Leah’s first kiss things have taken a significant turn in their relationship. Abby has admitted to somewhat ‘coming out’ with cousins. Leah is offended by this but hasn’t really ‘come out’ with her friends. Do you believe Leah is being fair with Abby? What are your thoughts on her continued reluctance to at least come out with her best friend Simon? What about Nick…what would you do considering Nick’s recent relationship with Abby?
17. What are your thoughts about Leah asking Garrett to prom and the conflicting budding relationship she’s having with Abby? Is she being fair to Garrett and if not, what should she be doing?
18. Leah loves ‘the dress’. But she has a tremendous amount of guilt about her mother purchasing it for her. What are your thoughts about this guilt? If you don’t mind sharing, tell us about a personal prom dress experience.

message 43: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3010 comments Discussion Questions Chapter 19-28 4&5 June
13. There are several references to ‘dog-earing’ books. What are your thoughts on this practice?
I know there are a lot of people who hate this practice...my view is that if you own the book you should be able to do what you want with it.
14. Abby is reading Harry Potter, one of Leah’s favorite series. She comments on how much she loves her art and says she ‘would pay for it’. Do you think Abby is being truthful or just trying to impress Leah? Have you ever done something like this and how did it turn out for you good or bad?
I wonder about Harry Potter, but I don't believe that Abby is the first person to tell Leah they like her Art. I hope she chooses to pursue this more!
15. Leah and Abby attend a college party during their spring break ‘road trip’. Leah has some success with playing the drums for the group gathered there. She really down plays how well she did and she down plays herself quite a bit in when she’s with Abby. Why do you think she’s doing this…to me anyway, she seemed a lot more confident at the start of this book?
I wrote this Q so I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about this. I really think Leah made a lot of progress during this visit...made some friends and potentially landed a 'job' that's fun! I think her lack of confidence is coming from her 'freak out' with regarding to this non-traditional budding relationship...we'll see where it goes!
16. Since Abby ‘stole’ Leah’s first kiss things have taken a significant turn in their relationship. Abby has admitted to somewhat ‘coming out’ with cousins. Leah is offended by this but hasn’t really ‘come out’ with her friends. Do you believe Leah is being fair with Abby? What are your thoughts on her continued reluctance to at least come out with her best friend Simon? What about Nick…what would you do considering Nick’s recent relationship with Abby?
It's so complicated. I know from my son's situation, it's a very difficult thing to 'come out'. People just don't go around talking about their sexual preferences...and that's really what you are doing when you 'come out'. I just think the timing here makes it more complicated and thus more difficult.
17. What are your thoughts about Leah asking Garrett to prom and the conflicting budding relationship she’s having with Abby? Is she being fair to Garrett and if not, what should she be doing?
I thought she should have been more specific with Garrett in that they were just going 'as friends'.
18. Leah loves ‘the dress’. But she has a tremendous amount of guilt about her mother purchasing it for her. What are your thoughts about this guilt? If you don’t mind sharing, tell us about a personal prom dress experience.
It's refreshing from a parents perspective that she has guilt.
My first prom dress cost less than $50. My daughter's prom dress cost $400. Things have really changed...it was a big deal in the 70s but it's beyond ridiculous now...my perspective. How did this happen?

message 44: by Cat (new)

Day 2

I've finished now - it was easy to read between monitoring Quidditch happenings - so this might be a bit spoilery

I liked Abby. I figured the negative stuff was from Leah, not Abby herself. I was intrigued to know why the friendship soured.

I liked their relationship, and thought it was pretty healthy. It's reasonable for a parent to worry when their child goes away like that. I struggled with understanding why the mum wasn't firmer about Leah getting on with Wells though.

no comment, as I've finished...

I doubt as a 17yr old that I'd've called one of my best friends out like that, so I was impressed by the stand Leah took. That said, times have moved on for the better since I was 17, and I think there are more teens firmly engaged with and confident about challenging biases of this sort.

They didn't change - I liked her from the start

message 45: by Cat (new)

Day 3

OMG. NO! just no! why would you do that! I refuse to lend books to people who do that. *shudders* I've only got a few requirements of partner: don't order food for me in a restaurant, be a compatible cinema-seat person (middle. preferably middle-middle but NOT front, ever!), be a reader and be a respectful reader. There would be an intervention if they started dog-earing books!

I think she's being truthful. Honestly, lying about things like that never goes well. Just don't do it!

She's brash, I felt, rather than confident. I liked how she become genuinely confident and comfortable throughout the book.

I was SUPER hacked off at how Leah dealt with the coming out, as she hadn't. I get that it's difficult, nerve-wracking and all that. My brother is a case in point: he sent my parents a Happy New Year text with an implied coming out message. Not the greatest move. Worse: they were on holiday with friends! Super AWKS. But it did make for a good story when he got married last year! :)
Anyway, Leah & Abby.... I understand Leah's reluctance to admit her relationship to the group - it's a very short amount of time after the break up which wouldn't be good for her friendships, but that is separate from her coming out to them - as if they'd care!

Leah wasn't fair here, either - she's got some serious openness issues. Allowing Garrett to think it was a romantic date when she saw it as a friend date is just rude.

I didn't spend $200 (equiv) on my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding! I can get the concern about money, but Leah is probably underestimating her mother's solvency/liquidity. Sure, they aren't as rich as her other friends, but they don't seem to be breadline either. It's also patronising to tell her mother that she can't afford something - her mother knows how much money she has in savings etc after all!
UK = no prom dress story. Well, proms happen more now, but back in my day they didn't!

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Sassafrass wrote: "@Melissa: I may not be as far along in the book as you. Were you talking about people in the book calling Morgan racist?"

Just the general chatting of the friends saying Morgan was racist or made a racist comment and Leah talking to the group of friends about it. I think the only one who is even trying to understand why Morgan would say that is Anna. Everyone else is either pretending it didn't happen or going along with Leah.

message 47: by Cat (new)

@Melissa, have you finished yet?

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments I haven't but I can almost guess what is going to happen. LOL

Did you like the book? I'm not sure how I feel about it. It might be too YA for me. Maybe I'm not feeling it because I'm having a hard time reading from the kids POV.

message 49: by Cat (new)

I did enjoy it: it was better than many YA I've read, but not perfect.

Maybe it would have been better if she'd started with new characters, rather than build on the secondaries from Simon..., as then she could create fuller, realer personalities? Too many were just ciphers.

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Possibly. I didn't read Simon so I didn't have a backstory on any of the characters and they weren't fleshed out to me. Could also be because I don't like Leah and have no interest in what happens to her LOL

I've been comparing this book to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe which I really enjoyed. I think with similar plots this one was handled way better.

« previous 1 3