Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Into the Water
This topic is about Into the Water
Books of the Month > Into the Water, by Paula Hawkins (Adult Crime, Thriller or Suspense BOM) ; Starts 2 August 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod

Synopsis
In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help. Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind. But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of knowing that Nel would never have jumped. And most of all she’s afraid of the water, and the place they call the Drowning Pool . . .

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 31, 2018 07:04PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages MPQDs

Aug 2&3 Part 1 1-130 Christina
Aug 4&5 Part 2 131-242 Ora
*******break day*******break day*******
Aug 7&8 Part 3&4 243-end Erika

***breakdown is based on the hardcover version of this book
( note- there are no chapter numbers)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:14PM) (new) - added it

There were 8 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Christina-Lockhart
Ora-Tom Riddle
Erika-Newt
Megan-Flitwick
Tina-Tonks
Imke-Ginny Weasley
Sophie-Sprout
Jenny-Remus Lupin
IP: 24.89.208.66
Timestamp: 2018-07-31 02:05:48 UTC

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I will volunteer for DQ's Team Tom Riddle

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments So glad this one made it in! Will definitely be joining :)

megan | 1396 comments I'll volunteer for DQs as well. Flitwick

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I'm in for DQ's for Team Tonks

Jenny | 5897 comments I'm in too. Team Remus Lupin.

Erika | 548 comments I’m in for Team Newt! Just started this and can’t wait to discuss.

message 12: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3954 comments Mod
I'll volunteer for Sprout

Li'l Owl | 191 comments I'm in! I'll be listening to the audiobook! Can't wait to start!

Cheryl | 905 comments I will join in on this BM!

Deanna | 2966 comments I'm in and do DQs for Team Flitwick.

message 16: by Imke (new) - added it

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions. Team Ginny Weasley.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Signing up for DQs for Team Lockhart! I bought a copy last month already:)

message 18: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 229 comments Volunteering for DQs :) Team Tom Riddle backup

message 19: by Katherine (last edited Jul 29, 2018 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katherine Hayward Pérez  | 150 comments Want to take part and read this! Team Reamus Lupin.

Kylie D | 51 comments Got it from the library, can't wait to start it :)

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 30, 2018 06:40PM) (new) - added it

Hello everyone!

Or perhaps I should say BULLA as I am currently in lovely Fiji on holiday. It is lovely here, but the internet is very flaky and VERY slow so I haven't been able to download the ebook of this from my library and my paperback is at home somewhere.

Therefore can someone please volunteer to do the book breakdown? From memory this isn't a long one, so 3-4 sections should be plenty. Then we can randomise the volunteers.
Vinaka (thank you) in advance!

-Karen

Jenny | 5897 comments Karen, I can read this tomorrow to get a feel for where it should be broken down. I just paged through it, and there are no chapter numbers, and 386 pages. Some chapter headings have a date, but most have just a character name.

If a mod (or someone who knows more about BOM stuff than I do) doesn't volunteer to do this, then I certainly will.

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Fabbo - thanks Jenny! I read it a while ago so I didn't remember about the chapters. Such a pain when there are no numbers!

If you can have a look at where you think the sections make sense and provide the last line of where it ends and the first line of where the next section starts that's probably the best way for everyone to know where the breaks are

Jenny | 5897 comments Sounds good. Where do I post it? I don't have an edit button for the reserved spot.

Jenny | 5897 comments Oh, and do I randomly choose who will do dqs, or will you?

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "Sounds good. Where do I post it? I don't have an edit button for the reserved spot."

Hi Jenny,
You can send it to the moderator account please and one of us will grab it. I've already randomized the dq's and posted those HERE
Thank you!

Jenny | 5897 comments Great. I will read it tomorrow, and send the breakdown to the moderators tomorrow night.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "Great. I will read it tomorrow, and send the breakdown to the moderators tomorrow night."

Thank you! Appreciated.

Jenny | 5897 comments I've got the breakdown, but I can't comment on the mods account, I am not a "friend". Should I post it here?

Jenny | 5897 comments Since I haven't heard back, I am going to post the chapter breakdown here.

message 31: by Jenny (last edited Jul 31, 2018 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny | 5897 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date___Chapters*__Pages**__MPQDs
Aug. 2&3 Part One 1-130 Christina- Lockhart
Aug. 4&5 Part Two 131-242 Ora- Tom Riddle
Break day
Aug. 7&8 Parts 3 and 4 243-end Erika- Newt

*There are no chapter numbers, the book is broken into 4 parts.
**Page numbers refer to the hardcover version.

message 32: by Jenny (last edited Jul 31, 2018 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny | 5897 comments Sorry, the layout didn't work, but the info is there.

message 33: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I'm here and will be ready for DQ's.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "Since I haven't heard back, I am going to post the chapter breakdown here."

Thank you Jenny. RL is a little crazy for the mods right now. Appreciate the breakdown and I will tidy it up and re post in the breakdown thread above. If you want to communicate with the mod account send a friend request:-)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Ora wrote: "I'm here and will be ready for DQ's."

Woot, woot!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Already started reading tonight to get my DQs ready for Aug 2 (can you believe it's August already??? :O), but I really gotta go to sleep now! It's already past 3:30am!

message 37: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Chapter & volunteer breakdown posted HERE

* Just waiting on confirmation from Erika that she will be writing the last set of discussion questions.

Thanks to Jenny for providing the breakdown!

Erika | 548 comments Yup!!!

message 39: by Christina (last edited Aug 04, 2018 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Discussion Questions - PART ONE - Day 1 & 2

1. Assuming most of you read The Girl on the Train or at least heard about it, what did you expect going into Into The Water? Have your expectations been met so far?

2. When Jules was first told about Nel, she was relieved for a moment, because it was no one she 'cared about'. Then she was angry. What to you think happened between the sisters that drove them apart so badly that Jules doesn't even properly know her niece? How has this introduction formed your first opinion of Jules?

3. Katie's sudden death understandably was very hard on her family. Her mum took pills upon pills to numb the pain, but "after a while she came to grasp that the horror of rediscovering her daughter's absence, over and over again, was not worth the hours of oblivion." What are your thoughts on this quote? And where do you think Louise vanishes to in the middle of the night?

4. Into The Water is told from quite a lot of different perspectives. Do you think this adds to the story, or does it make things more complicated? Does it affect your reading flow?

5. Nickie Sage claims to be a psychic and sees or at least feels things that others don't. Why do you think has the author, Paula Hawkins, included this character? Do you think she actually is important to the story, or could it be told without Nickie? Do you personally believe in the occult like tarot readings and seances?

6. Nel was working on a book on the Drowning Pool before she passed away. Do you get her obsession with the river, and is this the only reason so many people from Beckford seem to have disliked her? Would you personally choose to read a book like hers?

7. Finally, it's time for theories. It seems to be very likely that Katie's and Nel's deaths are connected in one way or another. What do you think happened, who are your prime suspects?

Jenny | 5897 comments 1. Assuming most of you read The Girl on the Train or at least heard about it, what did you expect going into Into The Water? Have your expectations been met so far?

I am finding this one much more chaotic. Instead of one unreliable narrator, we have several. I don’t trust any of them.

2. When Jules was first told about Nel, she was relieved for a moment, because it was no one she 'cared about'. Then she was angry. What to you think happened between the sisters that drove them apart so badly that Jules doesn't even properly know her niece? How has this introduction formed your first opinion of Jules?

I have read far enough in to know, so I won’t say it here. I thought the anger came from unresolved issues between them. No way to resolve them now.

3. Katie's sudden death understandably was very hard on her family. Her mum took pills upon pills to numb the pain, but "after a while she came to grasp that the horror of rediscovering her daughter's absence, over and over again, was not worth the hours of oblivion." What are your thoughts on this quote? And where do you think Louise vanishes to in the middle of the night?

Thankfully, I haven’t gone through anything like that. I have woken up in a good mood, only to remember something sad or traumatic, and the mood changes. First thought on why she vanishes in the night is an affair, but I think she is too sad for that.

4. Into The Woods is told from quite a lot of different perspectives. Do you think this adds to the story, or does it make things more complicated? Does it affect your reading flow?

It does interrupt my reading flow. The fact that the name of the current narrator is at the top of the page helps, but I prefer fewer or one narrator.

5. Nickie Sage claims to be a psychic and sees or at least feels things that others don't. Why do you think has the author, Paula Hawkins, included this character? Do you think she actually is important to the story, or could it be told without Nickie? Do you personally believe in the occult like tarot readings and seances?

I think she is adding the character to make the story spookier. She tells the story of the witch trials, and how creepy the water is, and I think it is for effect. So far, I don’t think she is essential to the story, but who knows?
I do not believe in any of that stuff. But I don’t mind reading about it- this is fiction after all.

6. Nel was working on a book on the Drowning Pool before she passed away. Do you get her obsession with the river, and is this the only reason so many people from Beckford seem to have disliked her? Would you personally choose to read a book like hers?

I might read it if I was from the area, but I am not generally a fan of sensationalized history. I think her personality or her past have more to do with why people don’t like her.

7. Finally, it's time for theories. It seems to be very likely that Katie's and Nel's deaths are connected in one way or another. What do you think happened, who are your prime suspects?

I suspect everyone that has been mentioned even in passing. Like I wrote, I don’t trust any of them. Maybe not Erin, she makes quite a deal about being an outsider, but who knows that may be a red herring. I think a lot of the deaths, even the older ones (not the witch) are connected. I have no guess.

message 41: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 03, 2018 04:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl | 905 comments Discussion Questions - PART ONE - Day 1 & 2

1. Assuming most of you read The Girl on the Train or at least heard about it, what did you expect going into Into The Water? Have your expectations been met so far?

I am expecting another psychological thriller. So far, it is not there. TGOTT seemed more straight-forward in its story. This one takes a lot of work keeping all of the people and back stories straight.

I am assuming that Nel was aware of a rape of Jules that she did nothing to prevent or do something about afterward. The event was treated lightly. Jules had already been the victim of continuous bullying which her sister participated in or did not intervene in. So, there are a lot of scars here. It is hard to judge the later actions of victims, so is Jules a horrible person for keeping herself away from her sister. Difficult to say. It sounds like Nel did reach out as they got older. Ignoring the desperation call a horrible thing? She did not listen to the full message, so just a huge mistake. But obviously there is some deep water between these two.

It is so difficult to deal with depression and tragedy. People can say to just move on, but it is not always as easy as that. Whether a person deals by medication or self-medication, it is sometimes the only way a person can cope. (Not a good way, but sometimes the messed up body chemistry that can come with depression if a hard thing to work around.) Takes a lot to finally realize that you are remaining a daily victim of the bad circumstances of the past and try to move on. I believe that Louise is returning to the water.

4. Into The Woods is told from quite a lot of different perspectives. Do you think this adds to the story, or does it make things more complicated? Does it affect your reading flow?
Not a big fan of the large number of POVs. I think anything over about 3 becomes muddy to keep track of the people and all of their stories. It takes a ton of concentration to keep everyone straight. As a murder mystery, it makes it frustrating sorting through all the evidence and how it all interrelates and what is really most important.

I am assuming she is being used as more of the omniscient bystander who doesn't have an emotional part of the story. It puts one more person that a person has to figure out whether they are a credible resource in the book or not.
Never believed in the occult. I do believe spirits of deceased people are nearby and can often be felt.

When you grow up with a local story that has had some emotional personal impact upon your life, then it is easy to become obsessed. Nel has some personal tie to all of the tragedies there because of the near drowning of Jules.
People can not like her delving into the past stories because of all the personal baggage behind some of what happened there and why. People do not generally like people delving into their personal closets.
I do like reading the stories behind local history, so I may have been interested in reading this one...unless it became more of a gossip book and not more of a sociological one.

I am thinking it has something to do with rape and the past death of Sean's mother. He is my primary suspect right now. Also wondering about Mark. Katie was killed as a cover up and Nel got too close to something.

message 42: by Snowtulip (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Discussion Questions - PART ONE - Day 1 & 2

The Girl on the Train was an average read for me, but I remember not liking the characters. I'm concerned that I might not like these characters either, at least so far.

So far, I'm not a fan of Jules, she even indicated that she had no love for her sister. It seems extreme for a sister relationship. It seems that Jules didn't have friends and was bullied, while Nell wasn't, but it seems there would have to be more than that for this kind of reaction.

Glad for the realization of oblivion, not sure, she seems to be despondent, so it could be just getting away.

It's driving me a little crazy, almost too much and seems to be a bit more difficult with the audio version. Plus the timeline changes. I normally like alternating POVs.

I'm thinking she's there to tie the pieces together, and give an outsider perspective.

I thought this is where she found some sort of inner piece. She seems to have been fairly independent, and that wasn't looked at positively, but her relationships seemed to be odd.

I don't have any suspects yet, everyone seems fishy to me!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Woke up from a nightmare this morning 'inspired' by this book and the fire alarm at 3am and also earlier this morning :(

message 44: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments 1. Assuming most of you read The Girl on the Train or at least heard about it, what did you expect going into Into The Water? Have your expectations been met so far?
I am reading this as a BOM and don’t anticipate liking it, but I could be surprised.

I feel like even a estranged sister is family and unless something terrible happened that this is a rather extreme response.

To get out of the house and maybe to visit the water in remembrance.

I think it makes it a bit repetitive as we keep seeing the same event multiple times.

I think she will eb used to provided info that otherwise no one would no and may be lazy writing.

It was odd and small towns in books tend to not like outsiders digging in secrets. Also depending on religious views, suicide was very shameful

No one yet

message 45: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Discussion Questions - PART ONE - Day 1 & 2

It’s been awhile since I read Girl on the Train. I remember several horrible characters and having a hard time liking it. I am hoping I will like this one better and have characters that I like. So far yes, I am enjoying more.

I got the impression that Nel may be bipolar and also horrible to Jules most of the time. That doesn’t mean she didn’t love her sister. She probably also knows what Robbie and Jules did or at least has some suspicion.

Lousie really needs to grieve properly. She seems like she is stuck. I really do not know. It makes me think that she may have had something with Nel’s death or knows something.
I haven’t really thought about it. I have read several books with multiple POV’s so it doesn’t complicate it for me. I think it helps give a better view of the whole picture. No it doesn’t interrupt the flow for me.
I think Nicki will play an important role in the book, not quite sure what yet. I believe there are people who have a gift with psychic abilities.
I can understand the obsession with the river and the history. I don’t think that is the only reason people dislike Nel. She didn’t seem like a very likable person so I think there are more reasons than just her book. From the argument Lena had with her mother, I have to wonder if she was sleeping with married men.

I think Mark and/or Louise have something to do with Nel’s death.

message 46: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I am posting DQ's early since I won't be near a computer tomorrow.

Discussion Questions - PART TWO - Day 3 & 4

1.Mark found the bracelet that Nel was wearing in Helen’s desk. Did Helen have something to do with Nel’s death or at least knows what happened?

2. Lena is angry that the officers are not asking the correct questions. Why isn’t she willing to tell them what they need to know? Why does Lena refuse to betray Katie? What is Josh and Lena hiding? Is it fair for Lena to force Josh keeping the secret?

3. I am curious about Patrick. It seems there’s more to him than just an old man with lapses of memory. He tells Helen that he never moved because he has work to do. What work does is that?

4. So, we find out that Patrick’s wife was Nicki’s sister. I am curious of the secrets that she knows, especially since it seems like she does have a real gift with ghosts. It seems no one takes her seriously. Will the officers listen/believe her?

5. Jules is dealing with issues of her past now that she is home. Is that skewing her views when she saw Robbie at Nel’s funeral? Also, with finding the letter LS on the mirror, do you think it is a ghost or Lena messing with Jules?

message 47: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Discussion Questions - PART TWO - Day 3 & 4

1.Mark found the bracelet that Nel was wearing in Helen’s desk. Did Helen have something to do with Nel’s death or at least knows what happened?
I am a little conflicted with this. I think Patrick collected the rubbish in the cabin and Helen found it in her car and just put it in drawer. I think she is torn about wanting to know and ignoring it. It seems like her husband was having an affair with Nel. If she doesn’t ask , then she won’t have to confront problems with her marriage.
2. Lena is angry that the officers are not asking the correct questions. Why isn’t she willing to tell them what they need to know? Why does Lena refuse to betray Katie? What is Josh and Lena hiding? Is it fair for Lena to force Josh keeping the secret?
I am really frustrated with Lena. There were things that could have hopefully prevented Katie’s death if she would have talked to Louise. Yes, it would have been a betrayal, but Katie would have been alive. I don’t think it was fair that Katie and Lena to keep that secret. I am a little confused why Nel didn’t’ talked with Louise. Why would Helen be a better choice? It seems like a lot of choices in helping Katie were taken away from Louise.
3. I am curious about Patrick. It seems there’s more to him than just an old man with lapses of memory. He tells Helen that he never moved because he has work to do. What work does is that?
The more I learn about Patrick, the more I think he has already murdered a couple of women and will continue. It sounds like Helen may have to watch herself since he has realized she has lied to him about the rubbish.
4. So, we find out that Patrick’s wife was Nicki’s sister. I am curious of the secrets that she knows, especially since it seems like she does have a real gift with ghosts. It seems no one takes her seriously. Will the officers listen/believe her?
I hope they listen to her. She seems a little crazy, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t know what happened.
5. Jules is dealing with issues of her past now that she is home. Is that skewing her views when she saw Robbie at Nel’s funeral? Also, with finding the letter LS on the mirror, do you think it is a ghost or Lena messing with Jules?
I think he reaction to Robbie was a bit extreme after the funeral. Now knowing that she didn’t deal with her rape it makes sense. I am curious with the way he was looking at Lena if it was lecherous or if he was curious if she could be his child.
Lena can be a bit of a pain, but it doesn’t seem to be in her character to scare Jules. Since there do seem to be the presence of spirits talking with Nicki, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nel’s spirit is trying to guide Jules to the truth.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Thank you Ora for posting early! (hhehe rather than later...)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Discussion Questions - PART TWO - Day 3 & 4

Something is up with that family, both Helen and Sean are acting weird...well actually the whole town!

I think that Lena love Katie, so she just can't betray who she loves like that. I do wish they would stop with the secrets though, it's too much to keep carrying around and Josh is so young.

I was surprised at the deference that everyone had toward him, makes me think he has secrets he's been keeping, especially after the scene when Sean was young and going with his dad in the car.

She seems to have the pulse on everyone, so I hope that they realize that.

Ugh, Robbie, another horrible man. I think she has reason to be concerned about him. I'm hoping it's ghost.

Jenny | 5897 comments Discussion Questions - PART TWO - Day 3 & 4

Yeah. Can’t help being suspicious of that, can we? I know, so this is hard to answer. When I read this part, I thought she absolutely at least knew what happened.

They (the police) live in a different world than teenagers. She expects them to solve things, but doesn’t trust them to get anything right. Also, Lena and Katie were best friends, and that holds a lot of importance to a teenager.

Patrick creeps me out. There seem to be layers and layers to his creepiness.

She does seem to have knowledge that might make a difference if people listened to her. My guess is that it would be hard for a cop to take her seriously. She doesn’t really help her own case through, she is not great with living people.

I think everything is messing with her. If you have to come home to a place that you hated, that made your childhood miserable, and then to see the people who made you unhappy, that’s got to be really hard. I think someone is messing with Jules, yes.

« previous 1 3