Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Paula W's 2019 What the Heck Am I Doing Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula W (last edited Dec 06, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Paula W | 553 comments B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
B3: European Classic- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
B5: 20th Century Classic - The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 - Emma by Jane Austen
I2: New-to-You Author - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
I3: Classic Play - The Crucible by Arthur Miller
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country - A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year - The Long Walk by Richard Bachman

N1: South American Classic - Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Piers Paul Read
N2: Short Story Collection - The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
N3: FREE SPACE - The Hedge Knight by George R.R. Martin
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection - Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases (Illustrated): Including "The Red Record" and "Mob Rule in New Orleans" by Ida B Wells-Barnett
N5: Asian Classic - The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Life of Pi by Yann Martel
G2: Classic By a Female Author - Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
G3: Classic Non-fiction - Common Sense by Thomas Paine
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate - Night by Elie Wiesel
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf - The Epic of GilgameshI by Anonymous

O1: 19th Century Classic- Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire - Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley
O4: Classic Romance - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic - Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019 Paula W.

message 3: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Katy wrote: "Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019 Paula W."

Thanks! I'm already starting to put some ideas on here based on another challenge I will be working on next year.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments I like seeing others ideas as much as making my own list, so thanks!

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5476 comments Mod
Love your title. That is how I feel a lot of the time. I also enjoy seeing what others are choosing to read. Good luck with this!

message 6: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments I am going through everyone else's list, too! Best of luck to both of you on your 2019 challenge.

message 7: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Wooo one down! Ha! This challenge might be difficult for me this year, since I have a posted personal challenge but also have a non-posted personal challenge of reading more current books this year. But I’m happy to have completed one so far.

message 8: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Excellent. Way to go.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Paula W wrote: "Wooo one down! Ha! This challenge might be difficult for me this year, since I have a posted personal challenge but also have a non-posted personal challenge of reading more current books this year..."

You can do this.

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2616 comments And that's a good one to get over with, IMO! Anyway, keep going and enjoy the rest :)

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Not all Bingo squares require classic status. Some of your challenge to read more current book can still work. None of the award squares require a book to be classic, Book Chosen by the Cover, Short Story collection, New to you author, 21st century potential classic. Make this work for you, just have fun and remember five in a row is bingo and that’s all you need.

message 12: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Bob wrote: "Not all Bingo squares require classic status. Some of your challenge to read more current book can still work. None of the award squares require a book to be classic, Book Chosen by the Cover, Shor..."

Sounds good, Bob. Thanks!

message 13: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments I have very much enjoyed both of the books I have finished so far for this challenge. Incidentally, they are both part of my “best opening lines in books” challenge as well. It is so cool to be able to combine challenges when possible!

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Glad you have had two good books, Paula. Hopefully that will continue to the very end.

message 15: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Sara wrote: "Glad you have had two good books, Paula. Hopefully that will continue to the very end."

I hope so, too! February is looking like a stellar month for me. I nominated a book for a group read last month and it didn’t win, so I started it on my own and am LOVING IT. Also, there are several new releases I have been waiting to read becoming available this month, along with two group reads that I’m going to do. Wooooo!

message 16: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments This might be the earliest I have gotten a few bingos within the past few years, and definitely the earliest I have been to completing a blackout.

message 17: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments It’s a good bingo year for you!

message 18: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Doing great!

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Looks like you are well on the way to a Blackout!

message 20: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Pink wrote: "It’s a good bingo year for you!"

I know! I have my fingers crossed on a few upcoming group reads to win the vote.

message 21: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Sara wrote: "Doing great!"

Wooooo!

message 22: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Bob wrote: "Looks like you are well on the way to a Blackout!"

I’m trying. That South American one is gonna be my problem, and I see you aren’t loving Love in the Time of Cholera. That’s the one I chose. I super hated One Hundred Years of Solitude and am pretty sure I will hate this one, too. Ugh.

message 23: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I read The Bridge of San Luis Rey for the South American one...it is set in Peru. Loved it. Or, do you like Isabel Allende? She's a much better choice. :)

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3218 comments Congrats on the fast progress Paula!

I want to nominate The Bridge of San Luis Rey for September after Sara's wonderful review.

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

If it should win, I would be interested in joining the conversation. There is a lot that could be discussed about that book.

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments Sara wrote: "I read The Bridge of San Luis Rey for the South American one...it is set in Peru. Loved it. Or, do you like Isabel Allende? She's a much better choice. :)"

Me too...a lot going on in this book...

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Paula W wrote: "Bob wrote: "Looks like you are well on the way to a Blackout!"

I’m trying. That South American one is gonna be my problem, and I see you aren’t loving Love in the Time of Cholera. That..."

Still reading it, can't say yea or nay yet. Writing is good.