J.D. Robb discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
Buddy Reads - Not In Death > Outlanders Series Buddy Read - Beginning Aug. 2014 Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 956 (956 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10200 comments Mod
Join us as we begin a buddy read of Outlander, book 1 of the Outlander series. If members are interested, we will continue the series at the rate of 1 book a month. Let's plan on beginning discussions on Outlander around the 20th of August.

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Elizabeth | 8 comments I am so glad this book won. I borrowed it from my mom and just found it now.

Actually Elizabeth, it didn't win the Poll for our Monthly Read but many of us want to do a buddy read of it. Glad you're joining us! Can't wait to discuss this book.

message 4: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Walker | 75 comments Yea!!! Can't wait! Thank you! A book a month would be great!

Awesome Brenda. Looking forward to it.

Anyone else reading or rereading Outlander with us? Loved the early release of the first show in the television series! :)

Lisa Most definitely, cannot wait for it to start next week on tv, super excited. Love Jamie and Claire and Cross Stitch (sorry Outlander outside Australia) is my favourite.

Dawn | 3237 comments Just finished my re-listen. I love Davina Porter almost as much as Diana Gabaldon. Ready to go whenever ya'll are

I loved Porter also Dawn...her narrating added a lot to the experience. And this will be a good thread to talk about the TV series also. Let's give everyone a few days and then start by discussing the earlier sections first.

message 10: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Walker | 75 comments Starting my reread of Outlander in the morning. And I plan to finish by the end of the week. When does the buddy read start?

message 11: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Walker | 75 comments Oh never mind just saw Aug 20 duh

We may start discussions before then - at least on the earlier part of the book. It's a long one with a lot to talk about! :)

message 13: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Boy is that an understatement lol

message 14: by Ness (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments awesome that there is a BR for this one :)

there is definitely a lot to talk about I can't wait:)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Think I'll join in, recently Audible was selling it for only $3.95 (or was it $4.95?) - haven't read it in a while.

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Aug 06, 2014 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think it would be safe to start now with first impressions of Frank. For those having read on beyond book 1, please try to shut out influences from the following books. For right now, we only know what is in book 1 in the very beginning. (I know how hard this can be since I do it in the In Death BRs)

What are your first impressions of Frank? His relationship with Claire? What kind of vibes did you get from Frank? And let's talk about the opening scenes of the book & the manner in which the author chose to draw the reader in. Give me your thoughts.

message 17: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments What does BR mean?

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12958 comments Mod
Buddy Read.

Sorry to be confusing Dee. Thanks Jonetta. I only meant that for those doing rereads, it is sometimes hard to concentrate only on what's happening in the current book without the influence of what you know from future books in the series. We try to do that in our In Death buddy reads. And I'd like to try to do that with our Outlander discussions.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments I'm currently a bit more than 60% through. It will be great to discuss this book.

Tonight's the night!! Even though I saw the 1st one online, I can't wait!

message 22: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Walker | 75 comments Hey Sandra I'm excited too!!!!

Me too!! WhooHoo...let the party begin! lol

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Only 4 days to go for us in Aust! Yeah

message 25: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I just looked at my Starz channels. I can watch it from 6pm PDT to 9 and then switch to StarzW and watch it from 9-12. Lol

message 26: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I answer to your question Sandra...hard to keep what I know from the future from influencing me but I remember I really thought he had been unfaithful to her during the war.

Yeah...I kinda got that feeling too Dawn. Just something about him...

Only an hour to go here! It plays over & over on starz here starting at 9:00pm.

message 28: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Well when he told Claire he understood if she had it just hit me like he had.

I get it in an hour and can switch over at 9 my time. Finally something good for being 3 hours behind.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments Sandra wrote: "Yeah...I kinda got that feeling too Dawn. Just something about him...

Only an hour to go here! It plays over & over on starz here starting at 9:00pm."

Sandra, it's just the first episode, right?

message 30: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Yes just the first one this week

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments Dawn wrote: "Yes just the first one this week"

Thanks. Couldn't wait and watched it last week on Starz On Demand

Me too, Karen! But I'm watching it again tonight! I noticed on my starz on directv that it airs at 9 & again at 10 & again at 11 and so on.

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Me too, but I will be watching it on my tv tonight.

My hubby just told me there's another show he wants to watch! LOL I smiled & said Record It! haha And of course, I'm recording Outlander. But I called dibs on the TV tonight weeks ago! :)

message 35: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Lmao. That could cause a serious fight.

I was like - Really?? He said he forgot...lol

message 37: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Lol. One down...does the hubby get the tv now?

Maybe...I thought I'd watch it again!! lol

message 39: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I am.

Hubby gave up & went to bed. I'm watching again while catching up on GRs.

message 41: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Some people on the Outlander group page said their husbands liked it.

Oh I'm sure! My hubby would have IF he hadn't been so tired & sleepy. (Plus wanting to see Hell on Wheels! Which I also like, btw...got it recorded)

He did last through those love scenes! He said, What is this rated?!! lol

message 44: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I sent my kid to the pool lol. Good thing it was only 6 pm. The shoulder is sooo realistic!

Elizabeth | 8 comments I am not having as much time as I thought to read the book but when I saw the casting for Jamie I was thinking he would look different. Just read the part that describes Jamie and the book says tall, muscular, and red hair. I only saw the preview but it looks like the Jamie on the show looks nothing like that. He looks about same height as Claire, medium build, and brown hair.

We all have different visions but I found Jamie on the show to be very close to my vision of Jamie in the book. Tall, muscled arms, reddish hair and all. And Claire is described as being tall for a woman of those times & still Jamie is taller. I'm a fan of the book & show! :)

message 47: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments It is really funny how many people are dismayed by Sam's height. He is 6'3", which is not short. The books always describe Jamie's hair as "ruddy red". Which is auburn to me as opposed to the redheads in my family who are carrot tops. I think Catriona is taller and thinner than I see Claire, but one can't have it all.

message 48: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I went over to my girl friends house to watch it, that had been planned for months. But, I found out that direct tv is giving a promo $11.98 for three stations HBO, Showtime, and STARZ. I am hoping this years season is finished in November. Then I will buy the series.

message 49: by Dee (last edited Aug 10, 2014 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I think I watched the show about 3 times last night, then I spent the rest of the night reading part one of Outlander. To me it was amazing how close they kept it to the book. The parts that they left out, (IMO) or were changed was either not necessary to the story line or it helped to explain parts that were missing.

I was happy with how closely it followed the book also, Dee. I am so glad to see that. I've watched it 3 times now! lol Can't wait for next week.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20