You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read Queries and Preparation

Comments Showing 1-50 of 485 (485 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2016 06:18PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments We thought it was time to maybe start a new query and preparation thread for buddy reads.

This is the place where you can ask others if they want to read a specific book with you.

Once you've established that a buddy read will move forward, then set up a thread specific to the book being read and I will then enter it into the buddy read calendar.

Each buddy read is approached according to the preferences of the people in the group. The group can decide amongst themselves it they want to read and discuss at the same time; read and then discuss; or use guided questions.

We ask that you mark your spoilers. Instructions for marking spoilers can be found by clicking "some html is ok" at the top of the comment field.

Please be respectful of others' opinions. We all have differing tastes and viewpoints. So far, we have not had problems, and we hope to keep it that way.

I think I have all the current and upcoming buddy reads listed in the calendar. Please let me know if I've missed any.

message 2: by Caecilia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:06AM) (new)

Caecilia Saori :-) great idea! thank you, Janice ...

Kristie and me will read My Name Is Lucy Barton as a Buddy Read. - Anyone else who would like to join us?

I am also looking for a :-) * reading buddy * for:

** Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
(paperback, 277 pages, non-fiction, funny and light)

** Your Heart Is A Muscle The Size Of A Fist by Sunil Yapa
(hardcover, 320 pages)

:-) Please, let me know if any of these books would be of interest to you ~ thank you!

- As for our monthly theme: Female Authors topic,
I am also looking for readers who would like to join me in reading a book by one of the following authors:

- Miranda July (The First Bad Man or No One Belongs Here More Than You)
- Claire Fuller (Our Endless Numbered Days)
- Elizabeth McKenzie (A Portable Veblen)
- Evie Wyld (All The Birds, Singing)
- Donna Tartt (The Goldfinch)
- Jhumpa Lahiri (The Lowland)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Hi everyone - I'm planning to read Tell the Wolves I'm Home sometime in the next couple of months. I could possibly start the end of March or sometime in April or even May, if anyone would like to join me in a buddy read. I know a few other people were interested, but I'm not sure who or when they're ready to start. Everyone is welcome.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9409 comments March doesn't work for me, but April or May would work. Let's see what the other interested buddy readers say.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Sounds good, Sandra.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Mar 05, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Kristie wrote: "Hi everyone - I'm planning to read Tell the Wolves I'm Home sometime in the next couple of months. I could possibly start the end of March or sometime in April or even May, if anyon..."

I am interested in taking part, Kristie. May would work best for me as March and April are pretty full with other buddy reads and things.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:36PM) (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments That's fine with me. Could we plan mid-May then? I'm participating in another buddy read that will still be going on the beginning of May. I'll start a thread and we can change the date if we need to.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm in the mood for reading a chunky Stephen King book. Next month I already have a chunky book arranged as a buddy read (The Twelve) so I'm thinking for May. I had Under the Dome in mind. Anyone want to read it with me? It's just over 1000 pages!

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I haven't read under the dome yet. I'd partake

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Excellent! That's good to hear. Any more for any more? I'm on my way to work now so I'll sort out a thread for it later. I thought it would tide us over until the last Bill Hodges in June :-)

message 11: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments I'm willing.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm not really stressing on challenges or anything. Just reading whatever. So whenever is fine for me for the buddy read. Just say when

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments How's 1st May? I might be able to do the week before but let's aim for then.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments I'd be interested in the last Bill Hodges, End of Watch, as well as the final in The Passage series, The City of Mirrors, at some point this year too. Not that I need to plan them right this minute, but figured I'd put it out there for a thought after they're released.

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Mar 08, 2016 05:06AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments 1st May is good for Under the Dome

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes I'd like to do a buddy read for the final bill hodges as I did buddy reads for the first two and really enjoyed them. We can fix a date a bit nearer the time in case the release date changes. Same for the final Passage book. A couple series kills right there!

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Sounds good, Sarah.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Count me in for Under the Dome!

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Excellent. Kat read it twice. And it's chunky. So it must be worth it. I'm excited about this one.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I'm going to listen to it on audiobook - 34 hours. It seems strange because you'd think 1000+ pages would be more than 34 hours. But, it clearly says "unabridged".

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I also have never watched the tv show just because I hadn't read it

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Audiobooks usually range 25-30 pages and hour

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I also have never watched the tv show just because I hadn't read it"

I read this one (listened to it) prior to the tv show. I watched the first day of the tv show and couldn't stand it. Nothing was as it was in the book and, if I'm recalling correctly, the acting was terrible. That may just be my recollection because I disliked the show so much, but regardless I never did watch the rest.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I also have never watched the tv show just because I hadn't read it"

I started watching it but got bored with it, so quit.

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Season one was OK but after that I didn't like it. I know it diverges dramatically from the book I've heard.

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Janice wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "I also have never watched the tv show just because I hadn't read it"

I started watching it but got bored with it, so quit."

Me too.

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I'll set up the buddy read for Under the Dome.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I have taken A Discovery of Witches and Cockroaches off of the calendar because it appears the discussion is complete. Please let me know if I should add them back in.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I have a few books lined up for the geocache challenge and wondering whether anyone would like to join me in some of them?

For the France Challenge about a painting: The Goldfinch

For the Egypt challenge: The Heretic Queen

For the Afghanistan challenge: The Kite Runner

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments I just finished The Goldfinch so will happily discuss with you Sarah, and others if there is a buddy read. I wanted to write my review tonight but had a family dinner instead.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15074 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a few books lined up for the geocache challenge and wondering whether anyone would like to join me in some of them?

For the France Challenge about a painting: The Goldfinch
..."

I own a copy of the Kite Runner. I haven't planned it for anything but I would like to read it together (although I won't be able to start it in April).

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Awesome okay Rusalka, did you enjoy it?

I don't mind when you'd liek to start Peggy. I really would like to read it with someone. I can't fit it into April anyway, maybe May or June if you like?

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15074 comments May or early June sounds good Sarah :)

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments How about May 21st or 28th?

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15074 comments Both will work for me. Shall we do 21?

Looking forward! (But I'm also a little scared, I also read A Thousand Splendid Suns and that really affected me a lot)

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Yes okay the 21st sounds good to me. I am a bit worried too, this will be my first time reading anything by this author, but I'm sure it'll be quite emotional.

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments It's definitely emotional. But it's worth it. I'll pay attention to your discussion although I'm not sure if I can contribute much as it's been a while since I read it.

The Heretic Queen was a group read a while back so perhaps you could read through that thread as you read?!

message 38: by Lisa (last edited Apr 13, 2016 09:08AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I might pop in to your buddy read of The Kite Runner too. I read it a couple of years ago but I still remember some things about it pretty clearly. It is an emotional read but as Sarah says, it's worth it. I haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns so I don't know how it compares to that in terms of emotional impact.

message 39: by Joan (new)

Joan How about a Hotel of the Saints buddy read?

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Ah okay, I'll have a mooch for The Heretic Queen and maybe read the comments.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Sarah and I are planning to read Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas beginning June 29th. Please feel free to join us. We'd love to have others to discuss with us. The link to the discussion is here.

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Kristie wrote: "Sarah and I are planning to read Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas beginning June 29th. Please feel free to join us. We'd love to have others to discuss with us. T..."

I've added it to the buddy read calendar as well.

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Thanks, Janice!

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Kristie, Sarah and I are bantering around an idea of reading End of Watch as a buddy read. Does anyone else want to join in with a possible July date?

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments End of July would be better for me to make sure I've finished City of Mirrors. Lots of great new releases this year and conclusions to series.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Sarah wrote: "End of July would be better for me to make sure I've finished City of Mirrors. Lots of great new releases this year and conclusions to series."

I've been reading far more new releases in 2016 than I have in other years.

I'm not sure if you read the Matthew Corbett series, but I just finished book 6 that was released on May 31st, thinking it was the final book in the series. Not so! I just learned that there are 9 books planned, so three more after this one. I also learned that he publishes roughly every 2 years, so.... waaaaa! Not happy.

End of July works for me for End of Watch.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments I can read it any time in July. :)

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I set up the buddy read thread.

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Excellent. I plan on starting the series this year Janice. I have book 1 already.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13572 comments Thanks, Janice!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10