Start by marking “Under Locke” as Want to Read:
Under Locke

Under Locke

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,987 Ratings  ·  1,476 Reviews
He was my boss, my brother’s friend, a Widower, an ex-felon, and a man I’d seen casually with a handful of women. But he was everything that gripped me, both the good and the bad. Worst case scenario if things turned awkward between us, I could go somewhere else. I’d gotten over epic heartbreak before, one more wouldn’t kill me.

After moving to Austin following six months
Published January 19th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Under Locke, please sign up.

Reaper's Property by Joanna WyldeMotorcycle Man by Kristen AshleyUndeniable by Madeline SheehanOwn the Wind by Kristen AshleyReaper's Legacy by Joanna Wylde
Bikers
27th out of 1,148 books — 2,383 voters
Kulti by Mariana ZapataThe Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana ZapataThe Deal by Elle KennedyWallbanger by Alice ClaytonUnder Locke by Mariana Zapata
Slow romance
5th out of 287 books — 495 voters

More lists with this book...

Vickie***
HOLY crap!! Am I really the first person to review this book???

Well.... In case you were wondering, I got my money's worth on this book!!! It was long, not too long, loved the characters.

Iris was recommended to be a tattoo artist front desk lady by her half brother Sonny. Sonny is friends with the owner(?) of the tattoo shop, Dex. Now they definitely don't have any immediate sexual tension. Dex was an ass to her. Both Iris and Dex are bad with new people. Iris because she's just super shy, and D
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Mariana Zapata is an amazing storyteller! First, I was captivated by Kulti, then fell madly in love with The Wall of Winnipeg, and now Under Locke has stolen my heart.

Dex is a douche to start, but Riss - without even trying - brings him to his knees and it was a thing of beauty to behold. They're such a fantastic couple!

This story is definitely edgier than those others I mentioned, and it's the closest to "just like Kristen Ashley" I've read.

No doubt about it...Ms. Zapata writes awesome charact
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
I loved this.

Admittedly, it took me a couple of chapters to get into it, at first the writing seems a bit choppy and a cpl of times I had to go back a page or two to remind myself of a question a character had asked.

However, once it settles and who was who, what connected them and the history of the characters made itself known, it just flowed and I started to really enjoy it.

Iris Taylor has had a hard life. She has had to move across country and move in with her half brother who is part of the
Zizz
Feb 03, 2014 Zizz rated it really liked it
3.5-4stars.

It started out as this...

At some point, it turned into this

Cue a decade later and the baby ended up like this...

There was nothing explosive in this book. The story arc resembled a

That's not necessarily a bad thing. In lieu of a roller coaster ride, we had a slow burn. I love it when attraction gradually evolves into love. This book had the makings of something great:
1. A well developed love story. The plot was brimming with unresolved sexual tension;
2. A cold asshole for the H - ju
Amy (Foxy)
Apr 15, 2016 Amy (Foxy) rated it really liked it
I'm late on posting a rating for this book. My family got sick and then passed it to me. Once I was recovered my laptop cord broke. When it rains it pours. So, I'm behind in reviews and blogging.

Since it's been awhile since I listened to it... I'll make this quick. The cover has a motorcycle on it and while this has some elements of a motorcycle romance I wouldn't categorise it a hardcore Sons of Anarchy type of book. If you like slow to burn romance then give this one a try. I enjoyed listeni
Sheryl
Jan 24, 2014 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!! I loved how sweet and funny it was and most of all I loved how NON-GRITTY it was!!! I get that being in a MC is not all rainbows and unicorns, but I honestly do not need to read the brutal aspects of it hence why this book was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for me!!!

Sure, there seemed to be elements of KA in this book, but heck, KA inspired lots of indie writers out there and I for one LOVE KA and her writing, so if I read it and it reminds me of KA AND its not a rip off (and it wasn't at all th
SK *The Cupcake Queen*
2 "meh" stars!

A little too much like KA's work...
A little too old...
A little too boring...
A rougher version of KULTI...

I skipped the last 20%. This book made me just sad ;(
Ingela
Review written May 9, 2016

3.8 Stars - Nice and fun, a tiny bit too 'longish', but all in all very good

Yes it is strange but true, I went from listening to one MC Club m/f (Chaos #1 by KA) directly to another one. Even, yes even, if I'm not even sure I like (or can fully tolerate) these MC club world's in my romances. Well, we don't always do what best for us. Or?

This time was it a pretty sweet and nice MC story by an author that already impressed me with her wonderful funny and lighthe
Didi
4.5 STARS

Ever since reading the book that literally put me in the worst book slump ever, because it was so effing fantastic, I've made it my mission to read everything MZ has or will ever write. That book is Kulti. I still get goose bumps when I see it. It might seem irrational? Maybe others who've read it are scratching their heads, but to me, it was the gold standard.
Anyways...this was really, really good. I loved it. I'm also glad I waited so long after finishing Kulti, because anything woul
Steffi
Feb 04, 2014 Steffi rated it it was amazing

This book took me by surprise. I was at a loss, not knowing what to read next and saw this book that I had purchased a few days ago. All I remembered was that it had bikers (what else do you really need to know, right?), so I started reading and the next thing I know it’s 3:30 am and I have to force myself to go to sleep!

Iris moves to Austin and in with her brother after getting laid off from her previous job. Not knowing how to pay the bills, she asks her brother, Sonny, for help and s
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Mar 13, 2016 Michelle [Helen Geek] rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone. A nice solid read
Recommended to Michelle by: GR KA Ladies
03/10/2016 -- Re-read this and enjoyed it as much the second time. Maybe a bit more.

02/02/2014 -- Original read

Overall Rating = 4 Stars
Book Cover / Book Blurb / Book Title = 3 / 3 / 4 = 3.5 Stars
Writer’s Voice = 4 Stars
Character Development = 4 Stars
Story Appreciation = 4 Stars
Worth the Chili = 5 Stars -- [$2.99 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = Mild
915 pages, but felt more like 450 or so.

I really enjoyed this one. I've seen it compared to Kristen Ashley, maybe. If so, it was much better. As much
Aisling Zena

I might be late for the Mariana Zapata bandwagon but I finally got here! I wont do a full review as there are already many amazing ones out there.

If like me you haven't had a chance to read this fantastic author, I suggest you bump her books up your tbr list and pronto! If you haven't heard of her please check her out she is totally worth it. A master of the slow build romance. Do give her a try!

While reading this, Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls kept playing in my head. I don't know if it
Naksed
I really wanted to like Under Locke, by Mariana Zapata, because I like biker romances and I read rave reviews about this author. But it eventually turned into a hot mess for me.

Biggest problem was a horrendous h paired up with a pretty great H. Told in h's first person narrative, the book goes to great length to portray H as a jerk that only the h can tame into being the good guy he is underneath his gruff exterior. But I did not buy it. Seldom have I encountered a more insufferable, immature, a
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 30, 2016 Jacqueline's Reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: mc
4 Locke Me stars

I’ve wanted to read a Mariana Zapata book for some time now. Everyone loves her books and figure I should finally pop my cherry. I picked Under Locke because it’s an MC book and I love my MC men. However, like it’s referenced in many of the reviews. This isn’t your typical MC book. There’s no crazy cheating, steamy sexy scenes (some but not a lot and it's very tame) or even too much MC politics. It’s a very clean book. I would even say the MC is kind of the background of the book
Snow
Jul 21, 2016 Snow rated it really liked it

4 "Locke me up" stars

I have to say that Mariana Zapata is the new author for me I will run to from now on!
I like her writing style, I like the different segments she masterfuly combines inside her story: action, drama, emotions, humor, smut all layered with a certain dose of "different" and "fresh" and i think that is a special touch that each author needs to finds on their own and it's the "IT" factor that differentiates them in the crowds of writing talents and experts.

about the book , a littl
Dee Montoya
Feb 04, 2014 Dee Montoya rated it liked it
***3 Unexpected Stars***

Let me start by saying that this is not your typical MC story, the characters in this book are more of Motorcycle enthusiasts who are loyal to each other and wear leather cuts only when they hang out together. No mayor use of curse words, no whoring around and getting wasted every single day, these guys all own different businesses and look after each other, and I enjoyed this fact more than I thought I would, very refreshing!

Iris Taylor has had a difficult life; after h
Sofia
If you hate women you will absolutely love this book.

Well since I'm not masochistic it was a downright disgusting and painful read, but I really wanted to rate it so I barreled through.

Iris is the shy, insecure victim who, in her almost 25 years of life, have never had sex.
Why? Why is it so important for the girl to always be a fucking virgin? I don't know why it's pissing me off except that it sends the wrong message to girls. That as soon as they have sex they're tainted and damaged goods o
Melissa
Jan 27, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: st, hea, kindle
This one needs massive editing. This book is SO long, but I really can't tell why when so many things just dragged on, and on ... and on. It was ok, but some of Iris' internal musings drove me batty. Examples:

Dex was a temperamental bag of beaver dung.

Score one for team Iris. If I could have high-fived myself without looking crazy, I would have

Dex let go of my sweater taking a step toward the drunken fart

I would have left and taken my carbon footprint with me.

Ugh. Next.
Jacqueline
Mar 30, 2016 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
I thought Winnipeg was brilliant but this was even better.

A slow burn, featuring a biker gang, an asshole boss, one of my favourite female characters ever and (when we finally got there,) the hottest, most erotic smut I've read in a long time.

And he's got a dirty mouth. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me.

I absolutely loved this one. Highly recommended and on ku.
grace
Apr 11, 2016 grace rated it liked it
The first half was really good, but the second half dragged and got a little over the top dramatic. However, this is a new adult so that's just bound to happen. It was entertaining and funny!
Lea ★
Loved it!
Only negative thing about this book is that it is too long... way too long... and a bit slow at the beginning.
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
This is a bit of a hard review to really write in that it was not at all what I expected...is that bad? No not necessarily, but it probably jaded my overall opinion!

I tend to read MC related material with a certain mindset of "bad boys," bad behaviors, rough language, and hard sex....well, Under Locke was really not any of that. Yes, it was MC related and had the tattoo'd alpha boys, but the normal raw grittiness was amiss. There was the impression of potential shady dealings, the illusion of cl
Imy♥♥

I cant believe how many of my friends HAVEN'T read this book!

photo tumblr_mnqe9ttPV21sqpjgto1_500.gif
"You're the best thing that ever yelled at me."

"Babe I've handpicked everythin' and everyone in here. I know what I want and I get what I want," he breathed. "And I keep what's mine.”
 photo 12121212121.png
It was HAWT.
 photo tumblr_mvyo31QIal1qft49to1_500.gif

After being unemployed for 6 months back home, Iris has no other option but to move to Austin, to live with her half brother Sonny.

Shortly after arriving, Sonny sets her up with possible employment at the tattoo shop.

The owner of the tat
Viviana
Apr 03, 2016 Viviana rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Mariana Zapata is one of my new fav author.
Her last 2 books are amazing!!!

But this book was too long for my taste.

I loved the beginning! She has a great story.
The ending was not my favorite.

I wanted more of sonny and trip.

But overall I enjoyed the action and love story. iris's story made me very sad.

3.5 stars!!

Jess
Aug 14, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing
Zapata is know for her "slow burns" and she doesn't disappoint with UNDER LOCKE. This book was everything to me. I savoured each and every page and was so immersed in the words that I would forget hours had gone by.

It takes a lot of woman to be with a man like Charles Dexter "Charlie/Dex" Locke and Iris is just that woman. She may be younger, slightly more naive and even a little out to lunch at times, but she is tough, strong as hell and she never lets anyone mess with the ones she loves.

An u
Lady Heather

First Read: April 5-7, 2015

Second Read: March 26-27, 2015

photo audio book list.png

As many of you know, I'm a HUGE fan of Mariana Zapata's writing and story-telling.
After reading The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata, I had one of the worst book hang-overs I've ever had.
In an effort to "cure" myself of this unfortunate situation, I went out and bought all of Mariana's audio books and re-read them.
I'm sad to say that I'm on the last of her books (so I hope she releases another book soon :-) )

This book...
I enjoyed it so much more the second time, s
Jenn
Apr 04, 2016 Jenn rated it it was ok
Shelves: bikers
Lots of spoilers....so stop here if you don't want to know.
This is my HONEST opinion.

Originally I had DNF this book after 6%. But, I couldn't let my conscience get the best of me. So, I picked it back up. I ended up liking it more once it got further in. However, I still had issues with all of the gross humor.

Oh... and even if I did like it a little more once I picked it back up, it still wasn't the book for me, sad to say. :(

Reasons why this book was not for me.
1. TOO much of the gross talk. (N
Ann
Mar 27, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
3-27-2016. Just finished listening on audio book. Absolutely loved it!!! The stingy star giver that I am declare this one a solid 5 stars after a second read/listen. Now that I've got a few bks by this author down and understand her style, this one is my favorite (followed closely by Kulti). There's more couple time between Dex/Iris than with her other stories. The Narrator did a fabulously fabulous job and seeing as how this bk is based in Austin, she gave Dex a bit of a Texas accent. Loved it! ...more
Ailee
Um... I really don't know where to start off. First of all, I was really expecting A LOT more of this book, the plot sounded very interesting so I was instantly drawn. However the plot LAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEDDDD on! It kept going on and and and on with unnecessary information and there wasn't much chemistry with the main characters until basically 3/4 into the book( which in my opinion... is basically the ending). Second, Iris was so Passive, She basically let Dez push her around and say anything ...more
Mistress
Feb 23, 2016 Mistress rated it really liked it
This book really kept my attention. I enjoyed it. It was a real page turner. I loved the slow build between Dex and Iris. Dex is so sexy and protective. Under Locke is very low drama and reminds me of Kristen Ashley's books, with hot alpha males. I would recommend this one!
books like this :) 11 368 Mar 10, 2014 08:14PM
  • Perfect Collision (Marauders, #2)
  • For Your Sake (Mountain Skulls MC, #1)
  • Behold the Stars (Signal Bend, #2)
  • Club Justice (Trinity Falls, #1)
  • Defiance (Defiance, #1)
  • Cole (The Ride #1)
  • Craving Redemption (The Aces, #2)
  • Withstanding Me (Breakneck, #2)
  • Satin and Steel (Riding the Line, #2)
  • Holding On (Lights of Peril, #1)
  • Lock & Key (Lock & Key, #1)
  • A Family Man (The Freaks MC, #1)
  • Raine Falling (Hells Saints Motorcycle Club, #1)
  • Fearless (Dartmoor, #1)
  • One Ride (The Hellions Ride, #1)
  • Own the Wind (Chaos, #1)

“Babe, I've handpicked everythin' and everyone in here. I know what I want and I get what I want," he breathed. "And I keep what's mine.” 46 likes
“In the words of a rap song my neighbor used to play on his boombox when I was a kid: Hold up, wait a minute.” 25 likes