Start by marking “Hands Down” as Want to Read:
Hands Down

Hands Down

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  16,541 ratings  ·  1,972 reviews
Before he was Big Texas, he was Zac the Snack Pack.

Bianca Brannen knows time--mostly--heals all wounds. Including those your once loved ones might have unintentionally given you. (Those just take longer.)

She thinks she’s ready when a call has her walking back into her old friend’s life. Or at least as prepared as possible to see the starting quarterback in the National Foo
Published July 2nd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Hands Down, please sign up.
Juan Carbajal YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YE…moreYES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES(less)
Katie E. Novia The grandfather and his partner sold the business & moved to be close to Lenny. Lenny moved to stay with the baby's father while he played Rugby overs…moreThe grandfather and his partner sold the business & moved to be close to Lenny. Lenny moved to stay with the baby's father while he played Rugby overseas.(less)

·  16,541 ratings  ·  1,972 reviews

Start your review of Hands Down
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 Stars, Rounded Down

This was my ninth read from Mariana Zapata and, unsurprisingly, I enjoyed it. In fact, here was my status update at 46% through:

"I’m smiling like a jackass as I read this right now. And being that I suffer from chronic resting bitch face - we are talking cement-grade resting bitch face, people - that’s quite a feat, lemme tell you."

description

But anyway. Suffice it to say, I actually giggled out loud AND felt my mouth open and twist upward. #smileforreal

But I digress.

If you've read
mel ☽

ever since i read wall of winnipeg and we were introduced to Zac, i humbly proclaimed him as the ✨chosen one✨. i knew- i just knew that he was gonna be a future MZ hero so i was so excited to read this.

though, since y'all know this book long af, this was me for the past few days trying to finish this participating on team no sleep

but anyways.

as with any MZ book, y'all ready know that this is gonna be a slow slow burn where you know, they don't become a couple till the very end but hon
Christy
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-five-stars
5 stars

IMG_7564

If you’ve read Marina Zapata, you know she writes the absolute best secondary characters. My favorite book of hers is TWoWaM, and my favorite secondary character was Zac. When I heard Zac was getting his own story I was thrilled! And then I heard his heroine was a minor secondary character from ‘The Best Thing’. You know I had to immediately re-read both. It’s not necessary to do that, as this can be read as a complete stand alone, but it was nice to have a refresher.
I still
Eva
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is gold! I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time I read it.
Giorgia ~ Reads
4 Stars

Where do I even start?

I've been wanting a book about Zac ever since I've read and re-read The wall of Winnipeg too many times to count. Overall I'm happy to have read this story but to be completely honest I wanted something more and for lack of a better word.. better.

As per usual, I liked the writing style, the slow burn, the very real feel to the characters, their inner musings and rationalisations BUT that being said, just like in her last book before this one The best thing, ther
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Choo choo sound of disappointment train mixes with extremely mad red woman’s screams( yes, it’s me or Jessica Chastain who plays my character!)

You may ask the same question after reading this book: what was dear Zapata’s editor thinking? And why the hell dear Zapata decide to write something as boring as last thirty minutes of Meet Joe Black ( at least we had young and hot Brad Pitt at those never ending, monotonous, soul torturous scenes) ?

At first when I realize this is spinoff of Wall of Win
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Zac and Bianca were... adorable. Reading about them made my heart so happy. They have such a wholesome reunited friends to lovers romance. And I LOVED that Bianca is a famous youtuber! I don’t think I’ve read that in a romance before. Zac is the most precious guy (cowboy hat and all, though I did get tired of him calling Bianca kiddo all the time) and I was just so happy to read about him again. And YES - we do get Aiden and Vanessa cameos! 👀 AND Jasmine and Ivan too. They made my LIFE.

*****

IT'S
Corina
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: standalone
I somehow knew this was coming.

My last MZ book was a 5 star, going by my track record, this one was destined to be just an ok read for me.

I have a couple thoughts about this book, but I'll wait a few days until I know what I want to be saying.

___________________________________

I think part of the problem is that I'm not a fan of the friends to lovers trope. I don't know why it doesn't work for me, just that I don't enjoy it. And I felt that Zac and Bianca were stuck in the never ending friends z
EmBibliophile

80 darlin’

14 honey

10 little Texas

57 peewee

And those numbers are accurate, So don’t yell at me for not remembering the heroine’s name, okay?

Now despite how frustrated I was with all those nicknames specially that “kiddo” thing that was driving me crazy, I have to say that I didn’t hate this book. It was...okay? Kinda cute and enjoyable to read, Just not as great as I hoped it would be. Comparing this book to the wall of Winnipeg and me wouldn’t be fair, becaus
Phuong ✯

If I'm going to see "Kiddo" one more time, I'm going to commit a felony. HANDS DOWN.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME:

KIDDO as an endearment. It works when a parent says that to their children or an older sibling to his younger one, BUT NOT when you're talking to your love interest. "I'm so damn in love with you, kiddo, and I wanna be where you are." and "You're the love of my life, kiddo" IT SOUNDS FREAKING CREEPY TO ME. Every time Zac said it to Bianca, I got shivers down my spines. I
Antonella
Bhavya Marya
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I’ve been holding in a fart for the last hour and a half, and my stomach fucking hurts,”

Did I stay up all night to read this ? Yup
Do I regret it ? Hell no

I went into this book already loving Zac so much and came out loving Bianca even more and I didn't think that was possible. She was hilarious and relatable as farts. I think she just became one of my favourite heroines ever. This was Bianca's book.

And the banter. THE BANTER, you guys. It was so great that it had me blurting out my laughte
peachygirl
Remember the charming footballer with a perpetual smile and Texas drawl from The wall of Winnipeg and me? Van's support system when Aiden was pretending to be a jerk? This is his story. And he's kind of useless here.

Told from Bianca's perspective, this story follows Zac and Bianca becoming friends again after 10 years of not being in touch and subsequently falling in love. Straightforward enough? No. The drama behind their 10 year friend break was so stupid and flimsy, especially for two people
Tears Of Venus
Jun 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
Someone please tell Amazon to get their shit together!!! My TWOWPAM paperback is still not here AND Zach is LIVE today!

Me to all of you people reading this today :

06/22

This is the perfect excuse for me to re-read The Wall Of Winnipeg And Me. 😈

AIDEN, baby,

And ZACH, honey,

♛ Mademoiselle Smut ♛
update: ZAC IS MOTHERFUCKING LIVE!

ZAC IS GETTING HIS BOOK! YOU HEAR ME! ZAC. IS. GETTING. HIS. FUCKING. BOOK!

oitb
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
God, this book drove me insane. I think I might have to call it quits with MZ. I’ve read plenty of her backlog now and the only book of hers I’ve truly ever loved is “The Wall of Winnipeg,” and every other book since has been a struggle—including this one.

Every MZ heroine has the same inner voice. A little grumpy, a little sarcastic, plenty of self-doubt, and a lot of passive aggressiveness too. In fact, what really is the difference between Vanessa’s inner voice, Sal’s inner voice, and Bianca’
Mika Auguste
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
this had to be the slowest of slow burn books that has EVER been written and i’d be lying if i said i didn’t enjoy every second of it. honestly at this point i just need mariana zapata to write a man into my life because absolutely no one is doing it like her.

4.5 out of 5 stars from me!

sure, this book had plenty of little things here and there that could have easily been resolved...and as much as i don’t looove the “misunderstanding” trope, i absolutely love these characters. also the story its
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mariana Zapata Fans, Romance Slow Burn
3 Not What I Expected Stars
* * * Spoiler Free-Congratulations
goodreads Choice Awards 2020 Best Romance, Nominee
A Quick Review

Hands Down, I love Mariana Zapata's writing. She has been a must-read since I discovered her with Kulti. When I learned of this book and Zac, a character from The Winnipeg and Me was getting his own book, I immediately went and reread that book so I would be current on who Zac was, ready for his story.

Many wanted Zac's story and the anticipation was huge.
This brings me
naz
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
IVAN AND JASMINE DRESSED AS GOMEZ AND MORTICIA?? I NEEDED that
-AIDEN CONTENT WITH HIS KIDS??? only smiles around his family?? mz thank you with all my heart
-the little boys asking bianca vital questions to see if she's worthy??? amazing
-i MIGHT be EXTREMELY attracted to trevor????
-zac became jealous because he wasn't asked to be in the vlog??? loved it
-cj+amari were hilarious, need their own books!!
-zac+bianca honestly served such a LOVELY friends to lovers romance<33333

________________________
Bookadmirer
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Before reading the book I was warned about the endearment "kiddo". Why no one warned me about honey, darling too? It was really frustrating 🤢

One big question that when the female protagonist met the male protagonist's roommate, she became very happy that the roommate knew about her baking channel. It was implied few people only recognize her face to face as she wasn't famous. Within a few chapters, it says she has more than a million subscribers. I am confused. Did I miss anything?

Jacob Proffitt
Jul 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
While this isn't part of a series, or marked as one, it obviously follows The Best Thing, though the characters from that story aren't actually present. Bianca works at the gym from that book and it was frankly sad to see the state the new owners have put it in. So reading that one first is kind of sad. Also sad is that this story isn't very good.

I'm dnfing a Zapata book. A literally unprecedented event. Frankly, I only made it as far as I did (about three quarters) because I kept hoping Zapata
shre ♡
Jun 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD.....READING SLUMP ITS OVER FOR YOU
Flor ❁
3✨

there's nothing romantic about calling someone kiddo-darlin-peewee 😭

Honestly, I'm not going to write a “big” review cause there are better ones than mine that describe how I feel about this book.

I loved the Zac from aidenVanessa's story, I was so excited to know more about Zac, but honestly Zac could have been any other. I needed his POV cuz I felt he had no personality or maybe, Bianca idealized him so much that I couldn't connect with him. (idk if this makes sense?)

Anyway, Hands Down wa
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead,

Random thoughts

Bianca, Boogie and Zac have been friends for years...until around 17 her feelings for him changed. Zac goes off and they lose touch until Boogie calls her for her to deliver the news that his grandfather is in the hospital to Zac. After 10 years she's finally face to face with her childhood best friend

1) The friendships in this were EPIC! From Zac and Boogie to Bianca and her sister and Bianca and Zac I enjoyed every minute
2) I don't understand how he doesn't recog
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Well, there goes time I will never regain. DNF @92%

MZ and I have an odd relationship, I struggle to even call it relationship. When I read TWOWAM, I was so in love with Aiden and Vanessa, then I read Kulti and I thought I had a author who's book I will always read. I read Locke which sucked and then Letters from Aaron which sucked even worse. When I saw this book on my feed I decided to bite the bullet and try one of her books again. That was a mistake.

This book sucked. I am among the people th
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
4 STARS

This is the second book I'm reading from Mariana and I really like it!I find it heartwarming!The characters were great and well developed!I adored Zac and Bianca They have a slow burn romance that make me swoon!

description

Zac was fantastic, he felt realistic and I loved him!Bianca was a strong heroine!Together they were great, they started as friends and then in to something strong and heavy!I loved their moments together!

I really need to read more books from this author!

Tish
Hands down the best read of 2020

I have waited for this book for years. Years. Zac was such a pivtol character in the masterpiece known as Wall of Winnipeg and Me. And the fact that he finally got his own book? Outstanding. Mariana is slow burn queen. And this book is slow burn to the max. But it’s so much more. It’s second chances. It’s friendship restored. And most importantly it’s love. So much love. This has got to be one of the sweetest books I have ever read. Bianca and Zac stole my heart.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2.5 - 3 stars

How do you review a book you enjoyed but didn’t love? This is always the most difficult review to write, because while there wasn’t anything bad about the book, there was nothing spectacular about it either.

Mariana Zapata is an auto-buy author for me, I’ll purchase anything the woman writes. But this latest book and the one before it… they do nothing for me. It’s like she’s lost the ability for plotting and instead has 500 pages of repetitive dialogue instead. And while I like th
TheBibliotheque ♡
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Listen, I loved Zac. I DID. But all those kiddo killed a little part of my soul.

Rozberry&#x1f353;

kiddo

Who knew that one single word would've pretty much killed me...

(Okay, that's a lie...
description
Peewee wasn't so far behind & made a hefty assist.)

Really. Who knew 'kiddo' had so much power to undercut a romance. Okay okay, so maybe -MAYBE- 'kiddo' didn't derail the romance ALL by itself(nor peewee), but it absolutely was a significant variable in throwing a giant platonic wet blanket on the whole book for me. By the time things were out in the open between them, I found myself begging Zac not to say
Unapologetic Roma...: Zapata, Mariana // Hands Down 1 24 Jan 19, 2021 07:35AM
Turning Pages At ...: Hands Down by Mariana Zapata 51 55 Jul 07, 2020 11:55AM

• Torn (All Torn Up, #1)
  • Inappropriate
  • Voyeur (Voyeur, #1)
  • The Trade (The Brentwood Boys, #4)
  • The Locker Room (The Brentwood Boys, #1)
  • The Best Friend Bargain (Inked Love, #1)
  • My Donut Princess (The Guilty Series, #3.5)
  • Good Gone Bad (The Fallen Men, #3)
  • After the Fall (The Fallen Men, #4)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • A People's History of Chicago
  • Welcome to the Dark Side (The Fallen Men, #2)
  • My Fiancé's Brother: Part 2 (The Guilty Series, #2)
  • My Fake Fiancé (The Guilty Series, #3)
  • The Dugout (The Brentwood Boys, #2)
  • My Fiancé's Brother: Part 1 (The Guilty Series, #1)
  • Caution on Ice (Boys of Winter #4)
  • Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Finding the perfect book at the perfect moment can feel a lot like falling in love. Both experiences bring up those “I can’t take my eyes off of...
“I really had missed this guy, despite everything. But there was a reason why amputees survived and thrived; you learned how to live without.” 4 likes
“But if every person weighed their dream against someone else’s, nobody would ever dream at all.” 3 likes