You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > =JUNE TOPPLER DISCUSSION THREAD=

Comments Showing 1-50 of 383 (383 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Question: Our days or toppler days? Because my day ends in two hours. Though... perhaps, since I won't get much done on the first day, it's a silly question.

Um... the point of all this post:

First! Once my parents get off skype I'll finish James Joyce (17 pages) and then read a bit of Hamlet or go to sleep.

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sorry I need clarification on this one too :) - so, it's currently 4pm here - I should post when I'm done reading for the day? Or at 4pm tomorrow?

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Sure thing, Judy.

Everyone! Enjoy! Go Topplers! Read!

Are the teams equal, by the way?

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments I intend on posting when I'm ready to crawl into bed. Simplest is best.

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta and I are done with our lovely breakfast of bagels with cream cheese and capers, and are finishing 24 ounces of green tea as I write. We even got in a good work-out early this morning. Now we are going to get down to some reading! Rock on, everyone!

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I'm reading The Drowned World for my first book - I quite enjoy his work, I like his writing style.

message 7: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Good Morning all! Sipping my 16oz tumbler of Ginger Tea and am ready to dive in.

Judy, last question, our day of reading is whenever we stop reading right--up to 11:59 pm. And then for us late owls, 12:00 begins a new day? Yes?

Happy reading to all!

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sorry I should have said who it was by - J.G. Ballard

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Mikki wrote: "Good Morning all! Sipping my 16oz tumbler of Ginger Tea and am ready to dive in.

Judy, last question, our day of reading is whenever we stop reading right--up to 11:59 pm. And then for us late o..."

Morning Mikki!

message 10: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Good afternoon to you, Kat! :)

message 11: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I'm all a go go now!

message 12: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Hi Suzie, Happy Reading to you, today!

message 13: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Judy wrote: "Hi Mikki!!
Your day of reading is whenever you quit reading and drinking tea for the day. I'm no stickler about it, I just don't want people posting on the reporting thread everytime they drink a cup of tea. LOL! :-)..."

Judy!!! :) Okay, so we talk here and then post our daily totals on the Toppler/Tippler threads posted above, yes?

message 14: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Hiya all.
I'm listening to 5 Children and It, having a brew and knitting. :-)

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I'm going to set aside The Drowned World for a while - it's a little bit too 'brain drain' for me today!

Instead, I'm starting The Virgin Cure. Now, time for more tea ;-)

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin | 238 comments Ok this is my first toppler I'm doing. Not on a team though...but that is ok with me. Not sure I'll actually topple that may books but should participate anyway...I have a question though.

Can we count any book we finish during this week that is on our TBR list or do we have to start and finish it during the week? I ask because I'm in the middle of a book, and I don't want to start reading another until I finish it. I read one book at a time usually...lol

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue Hi all! I'm up though a bit groggy for some reason, but I've begun God on the Rocks. Soon will eat a little something. Looking forward to talking with all.

message 18: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments (big yawns and stretches) I slept in 'cause I stayed up too late trying to finish current books. Didn't quite make it, but I'll fit it in between Toppler book. Tea is steeping, a blend for women's hormone balance - got to stay balanced for the team :D

I think my first book will be something old, July's People. Seems fitting, since the first sentence is "You like to have some cup of tea?"

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "(big yawns and stretches) I slept in 'cause I stayed up too late trying to finish current books. Didn't quite make it, but I'll fit it in between Toppler book. Tea is steeping, a blend for women..."

LOL what a perfect first line!

I've got one book that I wanted to finish before the Toppler started but I've still got about 100 pages to go. Once I've got a few points racked up, I'll finish it off.

Mr Kat keeps asking me why I'm drinking so much tea (normally I have a cup every two or three days) - and gave me the raised eyebrow when I told him it was for points!

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin | 238 comments Thanks Judy! I should probably be finished with the book I'm reading soon, and I already have other books waiting of course. Though I have no planned out my reading for the week like it seems most have. haha. Should I do report in this thread since I'm not on a team?

message 21: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads I am reading Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1) by Elizabeth Peters Crocodile on the Sandbank as my Something Old book, and about to start my second cup of tea.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments So far I've read nothing thanks to canal clean-ups, chasing sheep out of fields and eating but I have managed to get 6 cups of tea in and I'm planning on starting my first two books shortly with Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account for 'blue' (unsurprisingly I think) and The Dark is rising for something old (and to help me keep my sanity).

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Ack what a morning. Just checking in, I think I'm starting with Something New; Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella", if I can ever finish personal/ household/ packing stuff that came up today! I'm glad to see so many off to such a great start.

message 24: by Mintymedley (new)

Mintymedley | 60 comments I am off to work now, but when I get home I am going to get started on my HUGE pile of comic books. I have a new box of tea ready and waiting. Happy reading everyone!

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sam wrote: "So far I've read nothing thanks to canal clean-ups, chasing sheep out of fields and eating but I have managed to get 6 cups of tea in and I'm planning on starting my first two books shortly with Au..."

I'll be interested to hear what you think of
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account - I've had it on my ereader for a couple of years, but have never had the chance to read it.

message 26: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments So I've finished listening to Five Children and It and am going to bed - a day doing hard gardening has worn me out. Whether I read/listen to any more tonight I don't know. So I'm going over to post my points. If I do read any more i'll bung any points on tomorrows

message 27: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Judy wrote: "Snoozie Suzie wrote: "Hiya all.
I'm listening to 5 Children and It, having a brew and knitting. :-)"

I read it earlier this year, for the classics toppler."

I'm hoping to listen to the trilogy this week :-D

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta and I took our reading and lunch outside in the nice shade. We're now back inside and continuing the marathon-style reading! Sounds like everyone is doing well. Keep it up!

message 29: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Sounds like the perfect day!

message 30: by Tajma (new)

Tajma I'm starting with Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers. She'll set me off right!

message 31: by Mikki (new)

Mikki WOOP! TAJ IN THE HOUSE!

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue I had barely started Someone Knows My Name (on page 44 of 470), so I restarted to add it to this challenge. Now I have 2 books going.

message 33: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I switched books. July's People is too serious (Apartheid), but I will finish it this week.

Started Blue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall Blue Asylum, and already love it. It fits something blue quite well: blue in title, blue cover, woman sent to an asylum, man focuses on color blue to help contain control.

Now since I've had a 'tinkle' break, back to reading. Thanks Almeta, now I'm going to be counting those too. But don't worry, this is the only one I'll post about :D

message 34: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Yes, I should be able to complete my second book tonight -- something old, The Pilgrim Hawk (original publish date 1940) and something new,Where the Dog Star Never Glows (published 2010) by late tonight.

I've also got other group reads going that unfortunately don't count. :(

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue Mikki wrote: "Yes, I should be able to complete my second book tonight -- something old, The Pilgrim Hawk (original publish date 1940) and something new,Where the Dog Star Never Glows (published 2010) by late to..."

Wow, you are really moving along!

message 36: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Sue wrote: "Mikki wrote: "Yes, I should be able to complete my second book tonight -- something old, The Pilgrim Hawk (original publish date 1940) and something new,Where the Dog Star Never Glows (published 20..."

I just had to push through Pilgrim Hawk because it was not at all what I had been looking forward to -- just okay. But, my other picks for the week look promising.

I just finished reading Welty's story and will post thought there. If I have time then I'll also read Livvie.

message 37: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Just checking in...

Woke up almost 50 minutes ago and just finished the first act of Hamlet. As long as I can finish this, The Brown Fairy Book, and The Hobbit today, I'm happy.

good job, topplers!

message 38: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Now since I've had a 'tinkle' break, back to reading. Thanks Almeta, now I'm going to be counting those too. But don't worry, this is the only one I'll post about :D ..."

As predicted, I am visiting the "little room" often.

It has been hot around here today (91), so I have been drinking lots of eight ounce glasses of Iced Tea in various flavors. It has actually been pretty easy to do, since I am not much of a water drinker.

message 39: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Act IV, Scene III finished. Will now go back to finish the book.

And will ask parents if they can find any tea.

message 40: by Tajma (last edited Jun 10, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

Tajma Hey, y'all!! I had a lot of writing to do today so I'm a little behind but I read Wharton very quickly. I think I'll read something old and something borrowed simultaneously.

message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments I don't think you can do that... unless they're two books.

Just found out there's tea downstairs, so I filled my waterbottle with hot water and dunked a tea bag in... there's two cups of tea per bottle!

message 42: by Joe (new)

Joe | 93 comments I am through my first day of my first toppler. I had four cups of tea - an oolong, a chai latte, southern sweet iced tea, and some herbal tea just before bed.

I started my 'something old' book today: "The Complete Tales and Short Stories of Edgar Allen Poe". Didn't get very far - only the first 43 pages (out of 856!) it didn't help that it was the introduction and one of his more 'boring' stories (The Unparalled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall) about a hot air ballon ride to the moon. I need to figure out how to feed the baby and hold an 800 page book at the same time! I thought about finding some of the short stories in audiobook format. Does that count as reading the book even if it's not in the same anthology?

I think tomorrow I will start my "blue" book: "Back-to-Back: Super Bowl Champions Peyton and Eli Manning" by Hugh Hudson. (blue because if the common color between the Colts and the Giants) it should be a much easier read before I move on to the Poe tome again.

I wish I could stay up longer, but I have a conference tomorrow (Grrrr...) Its an iPad education conference, so I hope to sneak some reading in on my iPad during it!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Oh Joe that sounds like a perfect tea day - I'm envious.

I had an awful day - one cuppa and 1/2 of a 'tween book. Oh well, can only go up from here! Off to report the cuppa...

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Maria wrote: "Just checking in...

Woke up almost 50 minutes ago and just finished the first act of Hamlet. As long as I can finish this, The Brown Fairy Book, and The Hobbit today, I'm happy.

good job, topplers!"

That's great! Was The Hobbit good? I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring for something old.

message 45: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Cups of tea almost drunk...

Hamlet finished. I'll review it a bit later.

Amanda: It's June 11th for me-- the toppler started at 10pm on June 10th, so I still haven't started The Hobbit yet. I think it's good, though, I vaguely remember my mother reading it out loud to us.

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue I finished my first book today, God on the Rocks. Depending on how things work out, it can classify as either old (orig. pub 1978) or blue (cover). I have other choices for both, so we'll see where the week takes me.

I'm also on pg 75 of Someone Knows My Name.
A nice day of reading with more planned.

message 47: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Sue, don't forget to add your totals to the daily Toppler link. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue Thanks Mikki.

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2012 09:06PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48834 comments In spite of sewing with my quilting group all day, and in spite of discovering that 2 quilters followed me home and demanded coffee, I have managed to get a good start. I started with something old: Pitcairn's Island (copywrite in the book is 1940). Plus I started something blue: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book on audiobook. I even had a nap!

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Kat wrote: "I've got one book that I wanted to finish before the Toppler started but I've still got about 100 pages to go. Once I've got a few points racked up, I'll finish it off."

Feel free to take your time and and finish that book. There's plenty of time :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8