Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What Are You Reading in July 2011?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jon (last edited Jul 01, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I've got a pretty slim month planned (see my blog entry from this morning for more details).

I'm taking a break from the Beyond Reality selections this month, but I'll be back for 'C.J. Cherryh' month in August!

I plan to read The Snow Queen as I've had that novel in my book case for years and just never got around to it. I'm also going to read the sequel to The Summer Tree.

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge The Wandering Fire (The Fionavar Tapestry, #2) by Guy Gavriel Kay Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2) by Raymond E. Feist

message 2: by Laurel (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

Laurel July and August are probably my most prolific reading months of the year, and I very much look forward to them. I usually sit in front of my bookshelves and make up a reading list, that I always stray away from. But I'm part of a few Reading Challenges that I'm enjoying, so I'll try to stick with the list!

Here's my wish list for July!

Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2) by Chris Wooding Savage Season (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #1) by Joe R. Lansdale The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman Fort Freak by George R.R. Martin Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher Vorkosigan's Game (Omnibus The Vor Game \ Borders of Infiinity) by Lois McMaster Bujold I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3) by Dan Wells American Gods by Neil Gaiman For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

Nothing else matters.

message 4: by Random (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments I seem to have gotten into a non fiction kick lately, so I've decided to just go with the flow.

I'm currently reading
Dry Storeroom No. 1 The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum (Vintage) by Richard Fortey Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum

The books I'm kind of planning on hitting this month (though my mood is always variable so who knows)

Full House The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin by Stephen Jay Gould Full House: The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin

The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments by George B. Johnson The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments

Your Inner Fish A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body

The Man Who Found Time James Hutton and the Discovery of Earth's Antiquity by Jack Repcheck The Man Who Found Time: James Hutton and the Discovery of Earth's Antiquity

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen I've just started Time's Edge for another group and I'm totally gripped at the moment.

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Jul 02, 2011 08:10PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I am still slowly nibbling away at Embassytown. I'm really enjoying it, but it's one of those books I need to read in bite-sized chunks, taking time to reflect on each before moving on. I'll surely finish it this month, but I'm in no hurry. I'm happy to savor it slowly.

Other than that, I have lined up:

Black Hole by Charles Burns The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

I might squeeze another book or two in if I get on a reading roll, but I'm not planning anything specific just yet.

Edit to add: I'd really like to fit in Possession by A.S. Byatt if I can find a place for it in my challenges, because it's being discussed this month over in the Mythic Fiction group, but I don't know if I can shoehorn it.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments I seem to have slowed down a bit lately, so my planned reading might be a bit ambitious. However, my planned read list is:

The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1) by Jasper Fforde American Gods by Neil Gaiman Whitehawk by Simon Nolan Equations of Life (Samuil Petrovitch, #1) by Simon Morden The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

message 8: by Phoenixfalls (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Just Finished:
Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey. I found this slightly more emotionally satisfying than the second book in the trilogy, but extremely problematic. I think Carey overreached herself in this latest trilogy rather badly, and I really hope she does something entirely different with her writing for the next several years -- I love this world, but she appear to be tapped out in terms of coming up with new and interesting plots for it.

Currently Reading:
Let's Play White by Chesya Burke
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

Up Next:
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

message 9: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments Still reading Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments Stuart wrote: "Still reading Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville"

You enjoying? Personally, I adored that book. It's bubbling back toward the top of my re-read pile

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments I am. So far I am enjoying the idea that seems to be developing whereby individuals by following there agendas start to create ripples they probably never intended to....

message 12: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Random wrote: "I seem to have gotten into a non fiction kick lately, so I've decided to just go with the flow.

I'm currently reading
[bookcover:Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum..."

Ooh, how is Dry Storeroom? I've had it on my tbr for a couple years, but have never quite gotten to it.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like.

message 14: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3083 comments Mod
I started Greg Keyes's Age of Unreason series a few months back but only got as far as the first book. So over the last 2 days I did a reread of that (Newton's Cannon) and now am starting A Calculus of Angels. My hope is to get through this series relatively quickly and then start on the August books for this group.

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Helen wrote: "Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like."

It's a very good story, lushly written - the characters are well fleshed out, and the SF World view nicely complex. It's a character driven story, but the ideas are intriguing.

I'd say Dune written by a woman, but that wouldn't fit, because the characters are more down to earth/the concepts aren't the same at all - but the scope and vista - yes. It is not a dystopia...the characters will show dark and light.

message 16: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments Denae wrote: "Random wrote: "[bookcover:Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum..."

Ooh, how is Dry Storeroom? I've had it on my tbr for a couple years, but have never quite gotten to it. "

I've only gotten a few chapters in, but so far its pretty good. It may seem dry to some, such as the details of naming, but there's humor there if you know how to look at it.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I'm finishing up Stormlord Rising and distressed to lesarn the final volume won't be out for a couple months; I really like Glenda Larke!! Next up is Diving into the Wreck (I read about it here) and then The Towers of the Sunset

message 18: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Random wrote: "Denae wrote: "Random wrote: "[bookcover:Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum..."

Ooh, how is Dry Storeroom? I've had it on my tbr for a couple years, but have never q..."

Maybe I'll have to bump it up the list.

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Janny wrote: "Helen wrote: "Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like."

It's a very good story, lushly written - the characters are well fleshed out, and the SF World view..."

I read The Snow Queen years ago years ago. Is there some reason for this seeming resurgence?

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Chris wrote: "A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

Nothing else matters."

Oh God I know. As soon as my boyfriend finishes it I am dropping everything else in my life.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Helen wrote: "I've just started Time's Edge for another group and I'm totally gripped at the moment."

Time's Edge was really good! I just finished it for another group. It definitely hooks you. It's so fast paced but it works.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I plan on reading Wuthering Heights, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, A Dance with Dragons, The House of the Seven Gables, Starship Troopers, The Three Musketeers and maybe Shades of Grey. It's a big list but a few are for a July/August book read.

message 23: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Chris wrote: "A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

Nothing else matters."

Oh God I know. As soon as my boyfriend finishes it I am dropping everything else in my life."

I'm really excited to read this book too, but I'm waiting until he's done with the series. I expect to have more time to read at that point too, as my 4 year old will probably be in college by then.

message 24: by Jenny (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Stefan wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Chris wrote: "A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

Nothing else matters."

Oh God I know. As soon as my boyfriend finishes it I am dropping everything else in my life."

I'm real..."

If you're waiting for the series to finish, unfortunately you'll probably be waiting a long time. At the end of A Feast for Crows (2005) Martin said he hoped A Dance With Dragons would come out in the next year and it ended up taking 5 years. Though I'm hoping that since the HBO show has been so successful the books will start coming out faster or else the show will catch up too fast.

message 25: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I know. He told me, when he signed my copy of Feast, that he thought he'd be back with Dance the next year - and here we are, 6 years later. Meanwhile, he did manage to produce a bunch of anthologies and Wild Cards books, not to mention the TV series. Based on that, I decided to wait until the whole thing is finished, unless he shows that he's able to pick up the pace a bit - but I don't have high hopes. I pre-ordered some of the previous books from the UK because they were released there a bit earlier than here in the US and I was so eager to read them, but right now I'm just not interested in spending money on hardcovers for this author, because once the huge hype is over it's back to waiting for several years.

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Oops, I forgot that I also plan to read Oryx and Crake too :)

Stefan, I can definitely understand why you would want to wait. It's frusterating reading such a great story and then having to wait to find out what happened. Luckily I just read the first four in the past few months and I'm hating having to wait 6 weeks between A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons. I can't imagine what it must be like for those readers who read A Game of Thrones when it first came out!

message 27: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Yep, that's me. It wouldn't be so bad if the pauses between the books weren't getting longer instead of shorter, and he seems to take on more and more side-projects all the time. I really do love the series, consider it one of the best fantasies of the last few decades, but at this point it's too frustrating for me to keep going. However, when he finishes it, I will have a lot of fun rereading the entire thing and catching up with the next books (and again, I expect my toddler to be in college by then, so I'll have LOTS of reading time :D)

message 28: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I picked up Daemon by Daniel Suarez (sorry, Martin fans) and am enjoying it quite a bit. I guess "cyber-thriller" is as good a pigeonhole as any. Fine characters and some good crisp writing. My favourite sentence so far: a group of agency directors have convened in an emergency meeting and "They had already worked together closely in the War on Terror and the War on Drugs, and they stood ready to combat any other noun that caused trouble."

message 29: by Helen (last edited Jul 04, 2011 12:24PM) (new)

Helen Thanks Janny, it does look good from the blurb I read. Must add it to the TBR pile.
I read the first 3 Martins but then decided to wait - hopefully I'll live long enough!
I agree, Jenny, Time's Edge was a great book - I was happily surprised, couldn't put it down.

message 30: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Last night I finished The Clockwork Rocket by Greg Egan, a very hard "hard science fiction" novel, and just now I got started on The Devil's Diadem by Sara Douglass.

message 31: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2118 comments Mod
Stefan wrote: "Yep, that's me. It wouldn't be so bad if the pauses between the books weren't getting longer instead of shorter, and he seems to take on more and more side-projects all the time. I really do love t..."

I'm with you, Stefan. I'm dying to read the rest of the series but it's just too frustrating to get wrapped up in the world and have to wait...again. I've read the first four, but I'm going to wait until the entire series is finished before going on with it.

So yeah, by the time my boy is in high school or college, sounds about right.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Rereading the Dark Elf Trilogy for Homeland for another group's book of the month read.

message 33: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments Ron wrote: "I picked up Daemon by Daniel Suarez (sorry, Martin fans) and am enjoying it quite a bit. I guess "cyber-thriller" is as good a pigeonhole as any. Fine characters a..."

That one has been sitting on my mp3 player for months now. I'm going to have to give in and force myself to start it....one of these days. *sigh*

message 34: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Patricia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Helen wrote: "Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like."

It's a very good story, lushly written - the characters are well fleshed out, and the..."

I can't remember why it came to mind when I nominated it, but it's one of the July BoTMs in the Sci Fi & Fantasy club, so that may be part of the reason so many people around here are reading it.

message 35: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "I've read the first four, but I'm going to wait until the entire series is finished before going on with it.."

I resisted mightily as each book came out and my friends in an online bookgroup raved and dissected each one... and I'm so glad I never started the series. I have faithfully bought each book and will buy this one, too, but will not read them until Martin finishes the series. I hope it's before you, Shel, and Stefan have grandchildren!

message 36: by Maggie (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:36AM) (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I have too many BOTM's I bought and have sitting here but will never ever have time for!
I did finish The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and am finishing up Midnight Tides, but have Oryx and Crake, The Snow Queen, Royal Assassin,Shades of Grey and The Bonehunters still to get through!

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Denae wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Helen wrote: "Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like."

It's a very good story, lushly written - the characters are well fle..."

Denae wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Helen wrote: "Lots of people seem to be reading The Snow Queen, I'm curious to what it is like."

It's a very good story, lushly written - the characters are well fle..."

Okay, thanks! Another club for me to check out.

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. Its about a guy who hopped on a Triumph Motorcycle and spent 4 years riding around the world. He didn't get to Canada or USSR (Russia back in 73 when Ted was on riding). The book spent most of his time talking about how he felt instead of telling us what was around him.

Also read Doctor Who: The Space Age. Not to bad. Progresses the story about Compassion.

Started on Archangel
This one is about a secret in Russia and gets released.

message 39: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I am working my way through Keyes' Age of Unreason series, now in book 3, Empire of Unreason.

message 40: by Deedee (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:33AM) (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Currently reading: Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson and Saturn: A Novel of the Ringed Planet. Next up: Shades of Grey and A Clash of Kings. (Yes, I've only read A Game of Thrones so far. But I've read it twice!!!!) I also have Sky Coyote, Bimbos of the Death Sun and House of Suns sitting here next to my reading chair.

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Kathi wrote: "I am working my way through Keyes' Age of Unreason series, now in book 3, Empire of Unreason."

Those look good, I've had them on my TBR for a long time now.

message 42: by Theresa (last edited Jul 06, 2011 05:20PM) (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) It's probably a good thing I've already read both of the books for this month's discussion, because I've been stuck on The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood for a while now and I WILL finish it! I've also heard really good things about Divergent from my coworkers, so I will probably be putting that at the top of the list. Otherwise I'll go where my inclination directs me this month :-)

message 43: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I finished The Devil's Diadem by Sara Douglass, a decent but not great historical fantasy.

Today I started on CryoBurn by Lois McMaster Bujold, as part of a rather late attempt to read all the Hugo nominated novels. After that one, I still have to get to Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis and Feed by Mira Grant. I sincerely doubt anything will knock The Dervish House by Ian McDonald from the top spot for my vote, though.

message 44: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

On to the last book in the Age of Unreason series by Keyes. Hope he wraps it up well!

message 45: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I'm trying to read The Dervish House, also in an effort to read all the Hugo nominees. So far I haven't managed to get really interested and since I am reading it on the computer it is slow going.....

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (varmint3) | 34 comments Stefan wrote: "I'm really excited to read this book too, but I'm waiting until he's done with the series. I expect to have more time to read at that point too, as my 4 year old will probably be in college by then. "

LOL! When the last one came out my little one was still creeping along the furniture (not yet a year old) and now she's going into second grade and reading (easy) chapter books by herself - by the time the next one comes out, she will probably have sneaked a read of the previous books in the series unless we hide the books from her!

message 47: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Marty wrote: "I'm trying to read The Dervish House, also in an effort to read all the Hugo nominees. So far I haven't managed to get really interested and since I am reading it on the computer it is slow going...."

That was my favorite SF novel of last year, Marty, but I can see that it's not for everyone.

I tore through Cryoburn in one day, and am now starting
Sword of Fire and Sea by Erin Hoffman while still nibbling on the various Hugo-nominated short-form works.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments The Dervish House is a fine book ... if I were voting I'd be hard-pressed to choose between it and Feed.

message 49: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm just over half-way through Deadline, really good too.

message 50: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Snail in Danger (Sid) wrote: "The Dervish House is a fine book ... if I were voting I'd be hard-pressed to choose between it and Feed."

Feed is as interesting as any zombie book I've read (although I guess I've only read 3 and mostly try to avoid them.) Although I am still not thinking it will get my vote.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.