Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Tracy K is Trying Again 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:27AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
The 2018 List

(K) Kindle
(S) Shelf
(A) Audio
@ Library Loan

0/52

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness(S)
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle(S)
The Hour I First Believed(S)
I Know This Much Is True(S)
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Pachinko(S)
The Breakdown@
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay@
The Boy on the Bridge@
The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir@
The Sun and Her Flowers@
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
Little Earthquakes(S)
5. A book about or inspired by real events
The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder(K)
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Ru@
7. A gothic novel
The Historian(S)
8. An "own voices" book
Here Comes the Sun(K)
History Is All You Left Me(K)
9. A book with a body part in the title
Lost Memory of Skin(K)
Every Heart a Doorway@
10. An author's debut book
It Started With Goodbye(K)
Wintersong@
Rebel of the Sands@
11. A literary fiction
Atonement(S)
12. A book set in Africa or South America
Cutting for Stone(K)
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon@
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
The Secret History(S)
The Rules of Magic(S)
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
The Fireman(K)
Little Fires Everywhere(S)
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
S.(S)
Why We Broke Up@
16. A narrative nonfiction
Shadow Divers(S)
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women@
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI@
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands(K)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch@
18. A book with a location in the title
Newtown: An American Tragedy(K)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn(S)
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award
The Last Child(S)
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Beartown(K)
21. A book written in first person perspective
A Great and Terrible Beauty(S)
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Enchanted(K)
My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward(K)
23. A medical or legal thriller
Trauma(K)
The Demon in the Freezer@
The Cuban Affair@
24. A book with a map
Eragon(S)
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
American Psycho(S)
26. A book with a text only cover
White Teeth(S)
Exit West(S)
27. A book about surviving a hardship
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital(K)
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl@
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Into the Water(S)
The Water Knife@
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title
This House is Haunted@
The Knife of Never Letting Go@
30. A short book
Hotel du Lac(S)
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to (Greece)
My Family and Other Animals(K)
32. An alternate history book
The Yiddish Policemen's Union(K)
33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you (1975- "Date Rape", "Force of Nature")
The Tenth Circle(S)
Rape Girl(K)
Force of Nature(K)
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (A book picked off your TBR by my daughters)
ZBeauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book(S)
KThe Dog Who Saved Me(S)
(5 star Mod read)
Sing, Unburied, Sing(S)
The Pact(S)
Revolting Rhymes@
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared(K)
Fairytales for Wilde Girls(S)
35. A book featuring a murder
After the Eclipse: A Mother's Murder, a Daughter's Search(S)
36. A book published in the last 3 years by an author you haven't read before
2016:Salt to the Sea@
2017:The Leavers(K)
2018:Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance(S)
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing(K)
A Little Life(K)
38. A science book or a science fiction book
Ender's Game@
The Sparrow(S)
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife@
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers@
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(S)
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Breath, Eyes, Memory(K)
Bel Canto(S)
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn(K)
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness(S)
The Woman in Cabin 10(K)
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry(S)
44. A ghost story
Horrorstör(K)
Second Glance(S)
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Word of Promise Complete Audio Bible: NKJV(A)
The Sound and the Fury@
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
When Breath Becomes Air@
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different sexual identity than your own
Will Grayson, Will Grayson@
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
Pride and Prejudice(S)
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
Goodbye, Vitamin(S)
The Passage(S)
50. A book with a warm atmosphere
All the Single Ladies(S)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories@
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams@
52. A book published in 2018
Sometimes I Lie(K)
The Flight Attendant(K)

The Anatomy of Hope How People Prevail in the Face of Illness by Jerome Groopman The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb Pachinko by Min Jin Lee The Breakdown by B.A. Paris Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling The Boy on the Bridge (The Hungry Plague, #2) by M.R. Carey The Fact of a Body A Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner The Good Nurse A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder by Charles Graeber Ru by Kim Thúy The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova Here Comes the Sun by Nicole Y. Dennis-Benn History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire It Started With Goodbye by Christina June Wintersong (Wintersong, #1) by S. Jae-Jones Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton Atonement by Ian McEwan Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann The Secret History by Donna Tartt The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman The Fireman by Joe Hill Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler S. by J.J. Abrams Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Newtown An American Tragedy by Matthew Lysiak A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith The Last Child by John Hart Beartown by Fredrik Backman A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward by Mark Lukach Trauma by Michael Palmer The Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis White Teeth by Zadie Smith Exit West by Mohsin Hamid Five Days at Memorial Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink The Worst Hard Time The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan Into the Water by Paula Hawkins The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi This House is Haunted by John Boyne The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner My Family and Other Animals (The Corfu Trilogy Book 1) by Gerald Durrell The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult Rape Girl by Alina Klein Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper Beauty and the Beast Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly The Dog Who Saved Me by Susan Wilson Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward The Pact by Jodi Picoult Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near After the Eclipse A Mother's Murder, a Daughter's Search by Sarah Perry Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys The Leavers by Lisa Ko Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell Spook Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling Breath, Eyes, Memory  by Edwidge Danticat Bel Canto by Ann Patchett The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn The Soul of an Octopus A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix Second Glance by Jodi Picoult The Word of Promise Complete Audio Bible NKJV by Anonymous The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin All the Single Ladies by Dorothea Benton Frank The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments Haha lucky you, Price&Prejudice is the only book I can think of that fits the sins prompt but I already read it!
I also have some Backman on my plan and hope to read at least 2 of his books in 2018, I loved Ove :)

message 3: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 11, 2017 06:10PM) (new)

I noticed as I was making this that I had two Backman novels on my plan. Pretty much everyone on my friends list that has read Beartown gave it 5 stars. Ove was a great story, and My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You I'm Sorry has been sitting on my shelf for a while.

And I have NEVER read a Jane Austen novel lol. Every year I say I'm going to so hopefully this will work out. I haven't even made it halfway through my list for 2017 :-(

message 4: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I really enjoyed Yiddish Policemen's Union -- very different, wonderfully written. I hope you like it!

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 229 comments That is a great list, Tracy! I have several of the books on my TBR list. I haven't started planning my 2018 challenge yet - I doubt I will until late Nov when I have a 2-week break from work - but I have a feeling we will be reading several of the same books next year!

message 6: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Cheri wrote: "I really enjoyed Yiddish Policemen's Union -- very different, wonderfully written. I hope you like it!"

Cheri, Its been sitting on my kindle forever. My brother read it and said he really enjoyed it so I figured I would give it a try. I'll let you know what I think :-)

message 7: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Brooke wrote: "That is a great list, Tracy! I have several of the books on my TBR list. I haven't started planning my 2018 challenge yet - I doubt I will until late Nov when I have a 2-week break from work - but ..."

ARGGGHHHH!!!! I haven't read in months, so of course last week I decided it was time to start planning yet another challenge, lol. I've been tweaking this list for days and think I've finally got it where I want it. I have a written list of alternates.

So I see a buddy read or two in our future ;-)

I literally read All the Ugly and Wonderful Things this year and then came to a screeching halt. Read maybe two books in June and two books in July and just picked 11/22/63 up again. I'm feeling motivated at the moment. I'm hoping to get in 3 a week for 2018 so I can finish up this years challenges.

Cant wait to see your list :-)

message 8: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I just bought a copy of Beartown the other day, but I don't think I can wait till next year before I read it. I love Fredrik Backman and his writing and have several of his books at home, so next year I think I'll re-read My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry and Britt-Marie Was Here.

Oryx and Crake has been on my TBR the last couple of years, so I hope can pull myself together and read it next year.

message 9: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Marina, I think I had Oryx and Crake on my list for something this year but didn't read it. I was fumbling with the Sci-Fi category, it always freaks me out.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie Good list. I keep seeing The Historian popping up all over the place. I'm going to have to check it out. I'm really intrigued by the book you have for #44.

message 11: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Tracy wrote: "Marina, I think I had Oryx and Crake on my list for something this year but didn't read it. I was fumbling with the Sci-Fi category, it always freaks me out."

I'm not a big fan of sci-fi either. I don't think my imagination is vivid enough.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I'm another one who's not the biggest sci-fi fan. Not the hard stuff, anyway. I think it's because there's often so much focus on the world building and sci-fi aspects at the expense of characters and story.

message 13: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 13, 2017 04:40PM) (new)

Angie wrote: "Good list. I keep seeing The Historian popping up all over the place. I'm going to have to check it out. I'm really intrigued by the book you have for #44."

Angie, I've been seeing Horrorstor pop up on so many lists and reviews. I found it for under $3 on BookBuB last month, can't wait to read it. It was actually going to be one of my next reads, but now I guess I'll have to wait ;-)

The Historian has been sitting on my shelves for years, Ive never gotten around to it but it was highly recommended by a co-worker.

message 14: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Jody wrote: "I'm another one who's not the biggest sci-fi fan. Not the hard stuff, anyway. I think it's because there's often so much focus on the world building and sci-fi aspects at the expense of characters ..."

IDK, When I think Sci-Fi, I always think of The Hitchhikers Guide, and I hated that. I loved Stranger in a Strange Land, which I picked up a long time ago at random. I can never think outside the box of Outer Space when it comes to Sci Fi so I think thats what throws me off. I read The Martian two years ago and I was bored to death. Its just not my thing.....and I'll pretty much read anything :/

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behind Blade Runner and it is short!

message 16: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Tracy wrote: "IDK, When I think Sci-Fi, I always think of The Hitchhikers Guide, and I hated that. I loved Stranger in a Strange Land, which I picked up a long time ago at random. I can never think outside the box of Outer Space when it comes to Sci Fi so I think thats what throws me off. I read The Martian two years ago and I was bored to death. Its just not my thing.....and I'll pretty much read anything :/ "

I didn't really enjoy The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy either, although I'm planning on giving it another go this year. I think of it more as a humour book though, I guess.

I read The Martian and had mixed feelings about it, and for me it's a good example of why I'm not a huge fan of the genre. It seems ridiculous to say, but it was just too science-y and dry for me. There was just too much detail on how he fixed each problem, where (for me) I would have preferred it to be more of an insight on his thoughts and feelings about being stranded there, other than variations of "I'm fucked and I'm gonna die." - but then I guess it wouldn't be sci-fi!

A sci-fi book that I absolutely loved was Kindred, if you haven't read that yet.

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Nov 01, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Jody wrote: "Tracy wrote: "IDK, When I think Sci-Fi, I always think of The Hitchhikers Guide, and I hated that. I loved Stranger in a Strange Land, which I picked up a long time ago at random. I can never think..."

I made a comment somewhere about the details in The Martian....too much math, too many potatoes!!

Kindred is on my list for some challenge I haven't gotten around to yet, and its one that I'm definitely looking forward to, so Maybe I should move it here for this year. Thanks.

message 18: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1544 comments Mod
Haha it's funny that you all hated the science portions of The Martian when I loved that aspect. I'm glad that it didn't focus on his "inner tormoil" or anything like that because then *I* would have been bored to tears! Just goes to show that everybody's got a different take.

message 19: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Jackie wrote: "Haha it's funny that you all hated the science portions of The Martian when I loved that aspect. I'm glad that it didn't focus on his "inner tormoil" or anything like that because then *I* would ha..."

I listened to it on audio which is always hard for me because my mind wanders and I miss a lot of the story that way....so, the only thing I remember about it was that it was long and there was an exorbitant amount of math and potatoes.....and maybe poop?

I always wonder after I listen to an audio , if I would have enjoyed it more if I actually read it.

message 20: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I really enjoyed The Hour I First Believed, I Know this Much is True, and Pride and Prejudice. Hope you enjoy them!

I'm hoping to read Oryx and Crake next year. It's been on my shelf for a while and I've never gotten around to it. The Historian has been on my shelf for quite a while too. I think I've been intimidated by the size. Maybe I should try to fit it on somewhere too.

message 21: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Charity, I feel like I have quite a few really big long books on my list.
I've read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and ever since then have bought everything he's come out with, I just haven't read them yet, so I was REALLY excited they were in my top ten.

message 22: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I fell in love with Lamb's work because of She's Come Undone too! I have We Are Water on my list for this year.

message 23: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 17, 2017 04:07PM) (new)

Tammy wrote: "What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behind Blade Runner and it is sh..."

I had no idea, I've heard of it. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion, I always need help when it comes to Sci-Fi prompts. Two that I own and had thought of were Neuromancer and (R)evolution, Not sure if anyone has experience with either of those. I probably should put Sci-Fi under a book that intimidates me lol

message 24: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I find Sci-Fi difficult to warm to. I'm going to rip off the band-aid and read Dune in 2018. At least Philip K. Dick books are short!

And I, too, love Wally Lamb.

message 25: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments I think Neuromancer can be a difficult/tedious read if you're not really into scifi. On my side, I prefer low scifi (more character driven and with less technical details), than hard scifi. Things like Ender's Game, the Chaos Walking trilogy or the Wayfarers series were very pleasant to read, without the boring side.
I haven't read (R)evolution but regarding the reviews, I won't touch it :p

message 26: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 18, 2017 03:58AM) (new)

Zaz wrote: "I think Neuromancer can be a difficult/tedious read if you're not really into scifi. On my side, I prefer low scifi (more character driven and with less technical details), than hard scifi. Things ..."

LOL, I saw your review of Neuromancer after I posted and thought NOPE- if you didn't like it theres no way I will, although we seemed to be at polar ends with All That is Solid Melts into Air ;-). Same with (R)evolution, that one seemed to bomb for everyone. I'm not even sure where I got them, I think they were Kindle first selections and I was trying to branch out. I never read my Kindle Firsts.

I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my plan for this year and I'm considering Enders Game (was my first thought for the category) in place of Oryx and Crake which is already on another reading plan I haven't started. I'll have to look into Wayfarers, I think I was looking at one last night somewhere here. Is there a new one coming out? Something about Sugar in the title?

Thanks for the recommendations :-)
Enders Game sounds really good. I also just realized I have had The Sparrow sitting on my shelf for many many years unread, so thats a possibility as well.

(oops...I was thinking of Wayward Children series ....) Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments Haha, yes, we have different opinions about All That is Solid. I'm not a big fan of slow paces but the main problem was that the author's writing didn't work with me.

Ender is a smooth read, it's fast paced and I found it compelling. The Knife is also a quick read, more childish, but with good ideas anyway.
For Wayfarers, there is one new book each year, but you probably saw the series in plans as several people used The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet for the Women prize. Wayward is another I really enjoy, but it's fantasy this time :)

message 28: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

My plan is growing out of control.....decisions, decisions

message 29: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I love The Sparrow and it’s sequel. I also highly recommend Kindred for sci-fi of a literary bent. There a graphic novelization of Kindred that recently came out which is also surprisingly good, in case you are ever in a time crunch.

message 30: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Chinook wrote: "I love The Sparrow and it’s sequel. I also highly recommend Kindred for sci-fi of a literary bent. There a graphic novelization of Kindred that recently came out which is also surprisingly good, in..."

Oooooh... good to know , thank you :-)

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments Tracy wrote: "Tammy wrote: "What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behind Blade Runne..."

I like sci-fi and recommend P. K. Dick's novels. They are intriguing and short! "Do Androids Dream..." is a good one to start with. Other SF you might try: The Day of the Triffids, The Left Hand of Darkness, The Affinities or Zero K. One of my favorites is The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories! You have it listed for #51 but it's also Sci-fi. I hope you read it - it's so good!

message 32: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Pam wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Tammy wrote: "What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behi..."

I will most definitely be reading Paper Menagerie, I have refund in the form of a gift card coming from Amazon and I'm going to use it to buy some of the books I don't own that are on my list.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments Good luck with your list - seems like you have some nice picks in there! :)

When Breath Becomes Air has been my stand out book of the year so far. Would definitely recommend that one along with The Secret History.

message 34: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Beth wrote: "Good luck with your list - seems like you have some nice picks in there! :)

When Breath Becomes Air has been my stand out book of the year so far. Would definitely recommend that one along with Th..."

Thank you Beth! I had When Breath Becomes Air on a hold at the library this year but never picked it up. Can't wait to finally read it :-)

message 35: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:24AM) (new)

Planting my PopSugar list here for easier access :-)

Maybe this year I'll actually finish :/
POPSUGAR 2018 Reading Challenge

0/40

1.A book made into a movie you've already seen
The Shining(K)
2.True crime
The Monster of Florence@
In Cold Blood@
3.The next book in a series you've started
The Fever Code(K)
4.A book involving a heist
The Lies of Locke Lamora@
5.Nordic noir
Death of a Nightingale(K)
6.A novel based on a real person (Virginia Wolff)
The Hours(S)
7.A book set in a country that fascinates you(somewhere in the Amazon...Brazil)
State of Wonder(K)
8.A book with a time of day in the title
Morning Glory(K)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time@
9.A book about a villian or antihero
Six of Crows(K)
10.A book about death or grief
Tell the Wolves I'm Home(K)
11.A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
The Cuckoo's Calling(A)
12.A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
More Happy Than Not@
13.A book that is also a stage play or musical
War Horse
14.A book by an author of a different ethnicity to you
Akata Witch
15.A book about feminism
We Should All Be Feminists(K)
16.A book about mental health
Turtles All the Way Down(S)
17.A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift (borrowed from my mom)
Circling the Sun(S)
18.A book by two authors
Illuminae(K)
19.A book about or involving sport
Exit, Pursued by a Bear@
20.A book by a local author (Same State ...close enough)
We Are Water(K)
21.A book with your favourite colour in the title
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe@
22.A book with alliteration in the title
Smilla's Sense of Snow@
23.A book about time travel
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August@
24.A book with a weather element in the title
House of Sand and Fog@
25.A book set at sea
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex(S)
26.A book with an animal in the title
Little & Lion
27.A book set on a different planet
Carve the Mark(K)
28.A book with song lyrics in the title
How to Save a Life@
29.A book about or set on Halloween
Hallowe'en Party@
30.A book with characters who are twins
Wither(K)
31.A book mentioned in another book
Eden Close(S)
32.A book from a celebrity bookclub (Oprah)
Behold the Dreamers(S)
33.A childhood classic you've never read
Anne of Green Gables(K)
34.A book that's published in 2018
The Hazel Wood(K)
The Great Alone(K)
35.A past goodreads Choice Awards winner
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena@
36.A book set in the decade you were born (1970's)
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake(S)
37.A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to
Hollow City(OD)
Go Set a Watchman(S)
Strange the Dreamer@
38.A book with an ugly cover (This Raccoon is SO ugly, lol)
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things@
39.A book that involves a bookstore or library
The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts@
40.Your favourite prompt from the 2015, 2016 or 2017 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges (2017: A recommendation from one of your favorite authors: Chris Bohjalian)
My Absolute Darling@

Advanced

0/10

1.A bestseller from the year you graduated high school (1993)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes(S)
2.A cyberpunk book
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?@
3.A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place (I looked at the NY Underground Library website, Pictures of strangers reading on the subway. I don't get out much)
Dark Places(S)
4.A book tied to your ancestry(Russia/The Balkans)
Doctor Zhivago(S)
The Tiger's Wife(S)
5.A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
The Peachkeeper(K)
6.An allegory
Animal Farm(K)
7.A book by an author with the same first or last name as you (Tracy Chevalier)
Remarkable Creatures@
8.A microhistory
Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War@
9.A book about a problem facing society today
The Hate U Give(K)
10.A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge (from the recommendations thread)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things@

The Shining by Stephen King The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston In Cold Blood by Truman Capote The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6) by James Dashner The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Death of a Nightingale (Nina Borg, #3) by Lene Kaaberbøl The Hours by Michael Cunningham State of Wonder by Ann Patchett Morning Glory by Sarah Jio The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera War Horse (War Horse, #1) by Michael Morpurgo Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Circling the Sun by Paula McLain Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston We Are Water by Wally Lamb Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick Little & Lion by Brandy Colbert Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Eden Close by Anita Shreve
Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick Dark Places by Gillian Flynn Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht The Peachkeeper by Sarah Addison Allen Animal Farm by George Orwell Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier Grunt The Curious Science of Humans at War by Mary Roach The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

message 36: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tammy wrote: "What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behind Blade Runner and it is sh..."

Tammy, I put Do Androids Dream.... on my PopSugar plan for this year :-)

message 37: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Pam wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Tammy wrote: "What with Blade Runner part II just being released in theaters, maybe you should try Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. It is the original story behi..."

Pam, I considered The Day of the Triffids for a book I expect to make me laugh!

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (cozyuptocrime) | 58 comments Same here!! Life definitely got in the way of the whole reading challenge-thing. I really liked how you organized your 2018 list, I may have to steal some of your ideas when I finally do mine :)

message 39: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Same here!! Life definitely got in the way of the whole reading challenge-thing. I really liked how you organized your 2018 list, I may have to steal some of your ideas when I finally do mine :)"

It will be interesting to compare thoughts if we end up reading some of the same books :-)

message 40: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Dec 24, 2017 08:53AM) (new)

message 41: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Helms | 31 comments wow... lots of books I had to add to my own "want to read" list!

message 42: by Noell (new)

Noell | 8 comments Tracy, I loved The Hour I First Believed and Cutting for Stone. I think you should definitely make those two priority reads. ;) I, too, really enjoy Wally Lamb's books.

message 43: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Thanks Noell, those are definitely at the top of my list :-)

message 44: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:25AM) (new)

2018 Book Riot Read Harder Challenge (that I'll never actually do ...)

0/24

A book published posthumously
This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl
A book of true crime
Cruel Death
A classic of genre fiction (i.e. mystery, sci fi/fantasy, romance)
Rosemary's Baby
A comic written and illustrated by the same person
Roller Girl
A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa)
Waiting
A book about nature
Deep Blue Home: An Intimate Ecology of Our Wild Ocean
A western
All the Pretty Horses
A comic written or illustrated by a person of color
This One Summer
A book of colonial or postcolonial literature
Disgrace
A romance novel by or about a person of color
A Bollywood Affair
A children’s classic published before 1980
Heidi
A celebrity memoir
You're Never Weird on the Internet
An Oprah Book Club selection
The Road
A book of social science
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
A one-sitting book
Bridge to Terabithia
First in a new to you YA or Middle Grade Series
A Court of Thorns and Roses
A sci fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author
Kindred
A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image
The Best We Could Do
A book of genre fiction in translation
Ring
A book with a cover you hate
Stardust
A mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author
Malice
An essay anthology
Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times
A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
An assigned book you hated (or never finished)
Lord of the Flies

This Star Won't Go Out The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl Cruel Death by M. William Phelps Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson Waiting by Ha Jin Deep Blue Home An Intimate Ecology of Our Wild Ocean by Julia Whitty All The Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, #1) by Cormac McCarthy This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood) by Sonali Dev Heidi by Johanna Spyri You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day The Road by Cormac McCarthy Evicted Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Kindred by Octavia E. Butler The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui Ring by Kōji Suzuki Stardust by Neil Gaiman Malice by Keigo Higashino Radical Hope Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times by Carolina De Robertis Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney Lord of the Flies by William Golding

message 45: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

The 2018 List: Z&K's Challenge
2/104
1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Fortunately, the Milk
A Bean, a Stalk and a Boy Named Jack 1/3/17
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
Winter Pony
Next Time You See a Pill Bug
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Wishtree
We're All Wonders
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
Treasure Island( Jr. Readers Edition)
A Rock Is Lively
5. A book about or inspired by real events
Misty of Chincoteague
Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Pippi Longstocking
The Story of Babar
7. A gothic novel
Bunnicula
The Spider and the Fly
8. An "own voices" book*
Salsa Stories
Hush! A Thai Lullaby
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Junie B., First Grader: Toothless Wonder
Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
Henry Huggins
Not Quite Narwhal
11. A literary fiction
Black Beauty
The Velveteen Rabbit
12. A book set in Africa or South America
Anna Hibiscus
Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
The Secret Garden
Splat the Cat and the Big Secret
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
My Father's Dragon
Rainbow Crow
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
A Woodland Wedding
Journey
16. A narrative nonfiction
Hachiko Waits
Malala's Magic Pencil
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Dory Fantasmagory
The Dinosaur That Pooped A Planet!
18. A book with a location in the title
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)...Used Newbery Award
Because of Winn-Dixie
Ghost Ship: A Cape Cod Story
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends ( MOM )
A Little Princess
Eloise Wilkin Stories
21. A book written in first person perspective
The One and Only Ivan
My Name Is Not Isabella 1/2/17
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for ( she's got her eye on this one, lol)
Ella Enchanted
Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships
23. A medical or legal thriller
Harriet the Spy ( she's a detective....sort of)
The Rabbit is Next( a medical thriller for a 6 year old...What do you do when your stuffed rabbits ear falls off?)
24. A book with a map
Redwall
Henry's Map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
The Bad Beginning
I Am Pan!
26. A book with a text only cover (OMG...This was so HARD!!)
Zorgamazoo
The Book with No Pictures
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
Ninth Ward
Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Dolphin Tale 2: The Junior Novel
Night Of The Moonjellies
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
Coraline
Pirates vs. Cowboys
30. A short book
Ramona the Pest
Goodnight Moon
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to (ok, so its not a country but she REALLY wants to go to Florida to see PePa and MeMa....it's all I hear about)
The Tiger Rising
Island: A Story of the Galápagos
32. An alternate history book??
Dinosaurs Before Dark
After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you ( The word is "Gamification"....meaning playing games)
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call ( A book picked off your TBR by MOM)
The Trumpet of the Swan
Blueberry Girl
35. A book featuring a murder- WILD CARD
A Boy Called Bat
The Day the Crayons Quit
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
The Voyage to Magical North
The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee....used Newbery winner
The Cricket in Times Square
Make Way for Ducklings
38. A science book or a science fiction book
Wild Born
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: The Classic Illustrated Storybook
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Oh, The Places You'll Go!
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Little House on the Prairie
Where the Wild Things Are
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
How to Train Your Dragon
Swimmy
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Tail of Emily Windsnap
The Little Seal
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
Wayside School Is Falling Down
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
44. A ghost story
The Eyes of the Amaryllis
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
Young Scrooge: A Very Scary Christmas Story
The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
Beast Keeper
When the Wind Stops
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
Brother Eagle, Sister Sky
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins ( greed)
Annie
Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (Used GR choice awards)
Clementine, Friend of the Week
Julia's House for Lost Creatures
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Summer Pony
Stellaluna
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection ( another Newbery)
The Tale of Despereaux
Just-So Stories
52. A book published in 2018
Maggie & Abby's Neverending Pillow Fort
A Campfire Tail

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman A Bean, a Stalk and a Boy Named Jack by William Joyce Winter Pony (Stepping Stones - Fiction) by Jean Slaughter Doty Next Time You See a Pill Bug by Emily Morgan Wishtree by Katherine Applegate We're All Wonders by R.J. Palacio Treasure Island (Junior Classics for Young Readers) by Nancy Fletcher-Blume A Rock Is Lively by Dianna Hutts Aston Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) by Marguerite Henry Manfish A Story of Jacques Cousteau by Jennifer Berne Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff Bunnicula by Deborah Howe The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt Salsa Stories (cuentos Con Sazon) by Lulu Delacre Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong Ho Junie B., First Grader Toothless Wonder (Junie B. Jones, #20) by Barbara Park Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back by Joseph Bruchac Henry Huggins (Henry, #1) by Beverly Cleary Not Quite Narwhal by Jessie Sima Black Beauty by Anna Sewell The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1) by Atinuke Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock by Eric A. Kimmel The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett Splat the Cat and the Big Secret by Rob Scotton My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1) by Ruth Stiles Gannett Rainbow Crow by Nancy Van Laan A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries, #3) by Rebecca Elliott Journey (Journey Trilogy, #1) by Aaron Becker Hachiko Waits by Lesléa Newman Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai Dory Fantasmagory by Abby Hanlon The Dinosaur That Pooped A Planet! by Tom Fletcher Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Alice Provensen Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Ghost Ship A Cape Cod Story by Mary Higgins Clark A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett Eloise Wilkin Stories by Eloise Wilkin The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate My Name Is Not Isabella by Jennifer Fosberry Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Friends True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships by Catherine Thimmesh Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1) by Louise Fitzhugh The Rabbit is Next by Gladys Leithauser Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques Henry's Map by David Elliot The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket I Am Pan! by Mordicai Gerstein Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs by Tomie dePaola Dolphin Tale 2 The Junior Novel by Gabrielle Reyes Night Of The Moonjellies by Mark Shasha Coraline by Neil Gaiman Pirates vs. Cowboys by Aaron Reynolds Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo Island A Story of the Galápagos by Jason Chin Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) by Mary Pope Osborne After the Fall How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again by Dan Santat Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1) by Chris Grabenstein Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates, #1) by Claire Fayers The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors by Drew Daywalt The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1) by Brandon Mull E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial The Classic Illustrated Storybook by Kim Smith Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) by Laura Ingalls Wilder Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1) by Cressida Cowell Swimmy by Leo Lionni The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1) by Liz Kessler The Little Seal by Sue Harris Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) by Louis Sachar The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce The Eyes of the Amaryllis by Natalie Babbitt The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams Young Scrooge A Very Scary Christmas Story by R.L. Stine The Tailypo A Ghost Story by Joanna Galdone Beast Keeper (Beasts of Olympus, #1) by Lucy Coats When the Wind Stops by Charlotte Zolotow Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin Brother Eagle, Sister Sky by Chief Seattle Annie by Thomas Meehan Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes by James Dean Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4) by Sara Pennypacker Julia's House for Lost Creatures by Ben Hatke Summer Pony by Jean Slaughter Doty Stellaluna by Janell Cannon The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo Just-So Stories by Rudyard Kipling Maggie & Abby's Neverending Pillow Fort by Will Taylor A Campfire Tail by Sarah Glenn Marsh

message 47: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments I love your Z and K list...I’m particularly a fan of the My Father’s Dragon series —love the illustrations.

message 48: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Funny, I was searching for a book related to a word born same year as me and AIDS virus was one of the words. I found this book I've never heard of before: Tell the Wolves I'm Home and less than five minutes after I see it on your popsugar list.
Maybe it's just me, but I always think it's funny when things like that happen.
I hope you'll get to read it and we can share thougths.

message 49: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Marina H wrote: "Maybe it's just me, but I always think it's funny when things like that happen."

I love when things like that happen!

message 50: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

I think that’s called serendipity, right? I will definitely be reading it. I’ll be sure and post my thoughts😊

« previous 1