Start by marking “Stellaluna” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  110,877 ratings  ·  1,634 reviews
Stellaluna is the tender story of a lost young bat who finally finds her way safely home to her mother and friends. This award-winning book by Janell Cannon has sold over 500,000 copies and was on the bestseller list for more than two years.
Published April 28th 1993 by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich

·  110,877 ratings  ·  1,634 reviews

Start your review of Stellaluna
Adam Silvera
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my first favorite book ever. My mother bought it for me as a kid and it came with a Stellanuna plush doll. Manly, right? Mom read it to me whenever I asked until I lost Stellaluna in the first grade. (TRAGIC.)

My mother, being the most awesome of mothers, put up Missing Poster signs for Stellaluna. No one ever called with information, no ransom notes were left next to my lunch box, and Stellaluna wasn't hiding inside my hamper or under my bed. Stellaluna was gone. I thought back to the bo
Jerecho
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Stellaluna is a children's book about a young bat who learn the ways of the birds in life, how they eat and sleep etc.

Actually, this one is the story of our lives. As a child we are protected by our family, especially our mothers by owls (danger) in life. As we grow older we learn things and go our ways, specifically schools. In schools, teachers teachs us the right ways, and various aspects in life that can equip us in order to survive life. As days passes by, we finished our education and lear
Kimberly
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can't believe it has taken me this long to read this book. A very cute story. ...more
Ronyell
Stellaluna

I first saw this book on an episode of “Reading Rainbow” (my favorite TV series when I was little!) and I instantly fell in love with this book! “Stellaluna” is a gorgeous picture book by Janell Cannon and it is about how a baby bat named Stellaluna learns how to live with the birds after she is separated by her mother during an owl attack. “Stellaluna” is truly one of the best books for bat lovers everywhere!

Once there lived a mother fruit bat that gave birth to a baby bat named Stellaluna and
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
I read this book so often when I was younger! It is so cute!
Licha
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, illustrated
I bought some children's books and was about to gift them but decided to read them first before giving them away. This particular book I used to read to my daughter when she was little. Not surprising that I don't remember what the plot was about, as many times as I probably read this to her.

It is such a cute book about a bat who becomes separated from her mom and is raised by a bird family. She must adapt to the bird ways or abandon the nest so that Mama Bird's babies don't pick up Stellaluna's
midnightfaerie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We all loved this book. Apparently I reserved something called a "big book" so when I went to go pick it up, it wouldn't even fit in my bag. It was this big floppy paperback book that was roughly the size of my kitchen countertop. This made it very difficult to read. Trying to hold open the floppy book so that I could read and the kids could see the pictures was very difficult. But it was worth it. The bigger pictures kept my 3 yr old twins engaged while the story kept my 5 yr old interested. An ...more
Calista
I love bats! I miss my bat box. So I enjoy this little story of a bat finding her way. My niece enjoyed this. I enjoyed it too.

The art shows just the right emotions. Could bats be any cutier?
Jerry
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally do picture books, but, my mom read this to my nephew and loved it; she suggested I read it, too, so, I did...and found it to be very heartwarming. Now, I can see why it continues to be a beloved piece of children's literature, over a decade and a half after its release. ...more
Kelley
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I read this book to a classroom of first graders

The children loved this story! When baby bat, Stellaluna, is separated from her mother, she tries to be a bird. She does not hang upside down; she stays in the nest, she does not eat fruit; she eats grasshoppers, she does not sleep during the day; she sleeps at night. It was so fun to watch the kids be distressed by the mother bird trying to make Stellaluna into something she's not. This is a classic story for a good reason!
Book2Dragon
I've been wanting to read this for so long, and decided today was the day. Even though the libraries are closed, we still have Hoopla and can check out eBooks, music, and movies. I read this quickly. It met all my expectations.
I think more children than we realize feel they don't fit in. (I even know some adults who haven't found their place in the world yet!) This is a reassuring look at what it means when you are different, and how friendship transcends all those differences.
Highly recommend
Meghan
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 6 and under, parents for read-aloud
Recommended to Meghan by: A parenting blog
I have read this book to my children 752 times (well maybe that's an exaggeration). And I've cried 751 (that's not.)

It's that moment when the mom says, "You are MY Stellaluna." *sob* My kids weren't weepy, btw. Nope, just me.

This has to be one of my favorite books for the 6 and under crowd- amazingly beautiful pictures I was tempted to frame, a nice (but not annoying) message about acceptance and friendship, makes you laugh and cry.

Thank goodness I have kids or I would have completely missed ou
Val
I had only ever read the first few pages prior to today, and I thought this book would be sad. It isn't, it is freaking hilarious!!! The pictures (and the premise) add a lot to the humor -- the idea of a baby fruit bat being adopted by birds is about as hilarious as the idea of Simba being adopted by Timon and Pumba in The Lion King. My favorite moment would be Stellaluna hanging by her thumbs...just the very idea. Anyway, there is a lot to work with in this book for different character voices, ...more
Asalyn Holliday
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
I love this book! I think it would be great in a unit on animals and could lead to a discussion about nocturnal animals and what that means. This book reminded me of another book by Janell Cannon called Verdi that would also be good in an animal unit.
Kendare Blake
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
How cute is this book? A bat who tries to be a bird. Lovely illustrations. I bought it immediately and forced it on every child I knew.
Author Groupie
My youngest squirt's first-grade book club met to discuss Janell Cannon's Stellaluna, the story about how a bat and birds befriend each other regardless of their differences.

stellalunagroupSince the bat in question is a fruit bat, various fruits were offered for snack such as kiwi, pineapple, and grapes. Once eating was underway, I had each girl lift her plate in order to find a sentence describing either a bird, a fruit bat, or both. After reading her clue, the bookie then told me where to put
Linda
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story about a young bat who loses her mother after they are attacked by an owl and is subsequently adopted by a family of birds. It delightfully demonstrates how diverse creatures can coexist. The illustrations are lovely and luminescent.

From Kirkus:
"With a warm, nicely honed narration, Cannon strikes just the right balance between accurate portrayal of the bats and the fantasy that dramatizes their characteristics. Her illustrations, in luminous acrylics and color pencils, are exquisite.
Abigail
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Difference & Acceptance
Flying one night with her mother, a young fruit bat named Stellaluna is separated from her parent when they are attacked by an owl. Adopted by the bird family into whose nest she falls, our noctilionine heroine must learn new ways, accepting bugs as food, and sleeping standing up, rather than hanging by her wings. When she is unexpectedly reunited with her bat mother, Stellaluna learns the true ways of her kind, which she attempts to share with her adoptive avian siblings. In the end, all must a ...more
Jo
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stellaluna is a sweet story about a young fruit bat who is raised by a family of birds after becoming separated from her mother. As Stellaluna struggles to fit in with the baby birds who eat bugs instead of fruit and who sleep in a nest instead of hanging upside down, she learns an important lesson in friendship and embracing differences.

Adorable illustrations and laugh out loud moments as Stellaluna learns to fly like a bird and clumsily tries to land on a branch. I love the part where she hang
Alyssa
Mar 29, 2014 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Stellaluna is a baby bat that is separated from her mother when they are attacked by an owl. Stellaluna finds herself in a bird’s nest, and her adventure of believing she is a bird, learning she is a bat and being reunited with her mother follows. Stellaluna attempts to unite her adopted bird family with her rediscovered bat community. The differences between them prove too difficult to surpass, yet She and her bird ‘siblings’ vow to stay friends.

This book includes themes of differences, friend
Kaethe Douglas
Such a sweet little bat. I love the effort Stellaluna makes to fit in with her bird fosters, and the efforts they make to be more like her. And it has a happy ending, which is always nice in a book about critters. [That's right, kill the kids all you want, as in [book:The Gashlycrumb Tinies|47558], but don't kill the critters, or I'll get cranky] ...more
smetchie
Jul 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Can you believe Ellen Pompeo named her daughter after a bat?!? Not just any bat either. NO! One who is separated from her mother in a traumatic attempted murder by an owl and subsequently forced to live with birds and eat BUGS?!?!
Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl
A simple story with profound ideas about family, friends, identity and environment. With beautiful illustrations, Stellaluna offers thoughts on how a life is shaped & educates on a fascinating flying mammal. A perfect bedtime story to enlighten young minds.
Ana Jackson
A simple story about a bat loosing his mother and having to live in with a family of baby birds and having to live life a little differently. It wasn’t until the end of the book when she is reunited with other bats she realised how to live like a bat and it all seems a little more simple.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A beautiful book of knowing who you are and being true to yourself instead of trying to be like those around you. Just as Stellaluna discovers, we are able to be our best when we know who we are and what we are meant to do.
Vaishali
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Reflecting on ways in which all creatures are the same and different. Well done!
Andreea
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book with a healthy message. Themes: identity, friendship, acceptance, kindness and the list goes on. Recommended to all children.
Everett
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
awesome it is amazing
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginthedark.blogspot.com

I am surprise that this book wasn't made into a television show because it was insightful, funny, and showcase information about birds and bats! I really enjoyed this book and feel like this has become an instant classic in children's pictures book.

We meet Stellaluna who is a newborn fruit bat who still has much to learn about what they eat, how to fly, and how to avoid danger. Her mother tries to teach her and successful they fly into
Alysa Craigie
I mean, it's a fine book. (My little cousin is going through a bat phase right now, so we're learning all about bats and their lives. It's pretty cute.) ...more
Katie Witchley #3 (Tuesday) 2 15 Jun 12, 2014 06:04PM

• The Rainbow Fish
  • The Kissing Hand
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Corduroy
  • No, David!
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Love You Forever

News & Interviews

“How can we be so different and feel so much alike?” 2 likes
“How can we be so different and feel so much alike?” Mused Flitter.
“And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?” Wondered Pip.
“I think this is quite a mystery,” Flap chirped.
“I agree,” said Stellaluna. “But we’re friends. And that’s a fact.”
0 likes